Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Sidewinder

"--eel like they're shutting down in...volun...?"

Vocalization protocols reinitialize before sensors are able to fully process orientation lying outside usual parameters. The vacuum of space let in by the shredded hull graciously eats Sidewinder's words, who has already shifted focus to apprehensively flexing stiff synthetic digits. Still functioning. Relief. Then the communique from Shadowcaster and an uneasy reply.

"Oh, uh, Sidewinder! Intact! I think."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Sidewinder

"Lockdown? You mean even if we can fix things so we don't just spin in circles we won't know how far we can get? Ah, lugnuts..."

Sidewinder finds his way to the ground. Slam is laying aside the empty hulls of fallen brethren. Flashdrive and Shadowcaster are gathering intel and assessing the situation. The others are still groggily coming online.

Sidewinder pings everyone, barely suppressing his building anxiety.

Sidewinder posted:

What do I do? There's a big hole in the ship. None of the readings make any sense and the ones that do look bad. Real bad. Look for tools? Supplies? Whatever! What do we need? How can I help?

Frantically, Sidewinder begins to throw open any and all compartments in his immediate vicinity.

Inkspot fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Nov 10, 2018

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Sidewinder

During the repairs, Sidewinder busies himself gathering, notating, and categorizing the fruits of his impulsive and mildly embarrassing search combined with the more thoughtful investigation of the rest of the accessible compartments aboard the Solstice. Among the spare tools and parts is a grim pile of personal artifacts with no owners to claim them.

Sidewinder flags down Starfire on one of his passes through the Solstice for more scrap. "You know the repairs? To the ship? I was thinking, and... If we need more scrap... Would it be...?" He lets his optics trace idly in the direction of Slam's work, then back. "As long as we..." And he turns abruptly away. "Sorry! Never mind!"

Inkspot fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Nov 9, 2018

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Sidewinder

A little bit in awe of the commanding 'bot, Sidewinder finds nothing more to say than, "Yeah... Totally...." before straightening up and turning back to face Starfire. "I mean-- Yes sir! Couldn't agree more!". He lets the moment hang before sending out a ping to Shadowcaster and Flashdrive.

Sidewinder posted:

Sorry if I'm speaking out of turn, but there might actually be more material for repairs aboard, provided it doesn't strike anyone as too... gruesome. If you, um, get my meaning.

I'll do another sweep just in case we missed anything. Maybe look for some more, um... tools to help.

Low-Key Compactor Search We Won't Tell Slam about : 1d20+2 = 4 1d6 = 4

Inkspot fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Nov 15, 2018

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Sidewinder

With the mess cleaned and the fallen stowed, Spinout leaves to make one last tour of the Solstice. Amidst the salvaged pile of component parts are replacements for the control panel, which is looking manageable but rough. Identifying what he can, because electrical repairs were never his strong suit, Sidewinder grabs a handful of tools, boards, and wires and sets to work under the detailed instruction of Flashdrive. The remaining hull and engine repairs would have to be for those capable of flight. No need to repeat Slam's zero gravity ballet so soon.

Interface Cables Do What Now?: 1d20+5 = 10 1d6 = 6

Inkspot fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 14, 2018

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Sidewinder
Energon: 17

Cramped Quarters: 2d6 = 4 1d6 = 1

"Ugh. You make it sound so-- You all--" Sidewinder stops, emitting a tinny sigh. "What am I even doing here?" He gestures absently to the rest of the crew, wherever they are throughout the ship. "You all have it so... figured out. Even if you don't! And you...". He sits back down in a huff. "I just don't see what I add to the mission. Especially now. It was a wild stargoose chase before we were a million years late. And now we're stuck here. Now."

Sidewinder fiddles idly with the maglock.

"I need a drive to clear my head..."

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Sidewinder

“It’s…” Sidewinder looks over the construction of salvaged scrap. “Thank you.” Shadowcaster’s gesture, while appreciated, is still terrifying. With luck, maybe the deathball can be quietly ignored. “I’m sorry I made such a commotion. It was… unbecoming. This whole situation is just a little overwhelming, and... I’ll try to be better.”

Having done his best to express gratitude for Shadowcaster’s "gift", Sidewinder takes to one of the Solstice’s monitoring stations and does what he can to assist in the current business with the asteroid and the satellite. Aerotriangulating a stereoplotted asteroid field is only slightly less engaging than tearing across a desert, kicking up clouds of dust, feeling the warmth of a sun... but there will be time for that later. Hopefully.

“Uh, Flashdrive? I think I've got something…”

Find A Good Parking Spot: 1d20+5 = 11 1d6 = 3

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Sidewinder

"So our options are a spacehole to nowhere or a planet of telepathic dinosaurs?" Sidewinder asks, not intending it to sound quite so biased, but what are you going to do. "I mean... We need Starfire, but... it wouldn't hurt to look? If we can, you know, survive the landing."

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Sidewinder

Things were looking up. Still a bummer to be millennia late to the party and stranded on the other side of the unknown universe to boot, but those sweet sensor input readings of gravel and rubber were closer than ever. First, business.

Swinging into the rig and buckling the maglock, an outwardly futile but hard-programmed servo memory, Sidewinder flips the switches and punches the buttons. It reminds him of an old holofiction where two automatons flee their superiors and inadvertently reignite an ages old religious war. A true cautionary tale.

Sidewinder pulls the triggers.

Firing Lasers For Fun And Profit: 1d20+2 = 11 1d6 = 5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Sidewinder
Energon: 36

From his perch in the turret seat, the atmospheric plunge goes about as well for Sidewinder as it can. After the dust settles, he struggles to escape the maglock, watching Slam tentatively exit the ship before the belt finally clicks. The straps retract and Sidewinder bolts for the open hatch.

The sun! The dirt! The gravity! It's all just so...

"Thank the Primes!!!"

Waador posted:

They could be ... robots in disguise.

Then the gravity of the overall situation returns to him and Sidewinder tries to tamp down his palpable excitement. Nonchalance. That's the ticket. "I mean-- good work, everyone. Well done." He starts scanning the horizon when Slam hurtles himself into the air, propelled by flail and boosters.

Less desert to the north? North it is! But first...

"Flashdrive! You gotta come see this!"

Without waiting for a response, Sidewinder rushes into the main control bay of the Solstice, already half-transformed, wrenches Flashdrive from their port, plugs Flashdrive into a port of his own, and rushes back outside as fast as his two fully-transformed wheels can take them.

"We're gonna go check out the dinosaurs! Be back soon! Okay! Bye!"

I Love the Smell of Recon in the Morning: 1d20+9(+6) = 20 1d6 = 6