Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Please use this thread for any and all discussion for Read Dead Redemption 2 as it relates to the story arcs and whatnot.

POSTS IN THIS THREAD WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS YOU DOPES

If you haven't finished the story and/or other content and you don't want to know what happens, DO NOT READ ANY FURTHER.

I'm not going to post any spoilers in this OP, but again, SPOILERS BELOW.

Manxome Foe fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Nov 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

I posted on Reddit a month ago that Arthur would die and we'd play as John. I don't know how people wouldn't see that coming.

I did giggle like a little kid when you do the initial Jim Milton missions and they riff on the music themes from RDR1. Great stuff.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Im in epilogue 1 now and just started the mission Jim Milton Rides Again? or whatever its called and oh my god I LOVE Marstons pyjamas

I have thoughts on the ending of chapter 6 (mainly that the Micah stuff didnt start getting full focus until too late and also the very last you see of Dutch, at least in the good/canon ending, feels extremely rushed) but those can wait.

Actually what are the other endings? I got the Help John + High Honour one

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

Im in epilogue 1 now and just started the mission Jim Milton Rides Again? or whatever its called and oh my god I LOVE Marstons pyjamas

I have thoughts on the ending of chapter 6 (mainly that the Micah stuff didnt start getting full focus until too late and also the very last you see of Dutch, at least in the good/canon ending, feels extremely rushed) but those can wait.

Actually what are the other endings? I got the Help John + High Honour one

I only know of the optional ones where you go with John. In one, Micah shoots you in the head, and in the other you just crawl up the side of the mountain and die watching the sunset.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Micah can shoot you in the head on the mountain if you gently caress up the qte crawling to your gun. I did what the qte said and arthur just sat there. Thankfully it counts as a failed mission/retry instead of your ending.

Kinda blew the mood though. I was more sad about my horsey :( the "thank you" whisper in the ear was probably the top moment for me.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

The ride to the camp with high honor, as the voices of people you have helped played, was really well done.

What happens on low honor? Is it like voices of your buddies and poo poo?

WoodrowSkillson fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Nov 5, 2018

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
*extremely epic western score play on a snow capped trail*

MICAH! THIS IS JOHN MARSTON. IM COMIN' FOR YOU.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Can we talk about how fuckin good the DAngelo song is in chapter 5 and what an amazing moment that is

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Are the people complaining about guarma some "muh bideo gaem nonpolitical" gang or legit didn't like it for a reason? I thought guarma owned because I like seeing these kinds of western characters "do the right thing" in the way that the man with no name blows up a bridge saving hundreds of not thousands of civil war soldiers' lives (so he can steal some poo poo).

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

WoodrowSkillson posted:

The ride to the camp with high honor, as the voices of people you have helped played, was really well done.

It's a lot of stuff about trying to justify what Arthur has done and how he can't ever change. Most of the high/low honor changes are similar in that way.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Honey, I'm just an honest rancher I won't do anything untoward out on the trail I swear...

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Not sure about low honor but mine had a long moment of silence because I didn't give a gently caress about anyone. heh

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Also is it just me or did John's hair change significantly post-Arthur death. Obviously they had to make it look like RDR 1 hair at first but suddenly it's just black Arthur hair.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Do stranger missions still pop up for John? I want to be sure I get all the missable trophies this time as I'm a dumb idiot addicted to meaningless pixels

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop
Gotta say, I avoided any spoilers playing, but the second the debtor coughed blood in Arthur's face, I was like yep, he's gonna die. Media doesn't ever show coughing unless its relevant to the story. But yeah, I don't know how that should be a surprise, considering it's a prequel and Arthur (and many other characters that die in this one) don't exist in RDR1.

I actually hadn't played RDR1 (just watched some recap videos a while ago and forgot some details), so the whole time through the epilogue 2, I was expecting poo poo to go bad for John. Like, he's finally built the house, going to propose to Abigail, etc - I was thinking it was going to end with them all dead so it was actually a pleasant surprise for me.

JBP posted:

Are the people complaining about guarma some "muh bideo gaem nonpolitical" gang or legit didn't like it for a reason? I thought guarma owned because I like seeing these kinds of western characters "do the right thing" in the way that the man with no name blows up a bridge saving hundreds of not thousands of civil war soldiers' lives (so he can steal some poo poo).
I didn't like Guarma only because it was too linear. I wanted to be able to explore more. It was also the only place in the entire game I ever saw an iguana so I was a bit peeved that I couldn't get a perfect pelt, and even if I could, nowhere to hand it in for the satchel upgrade. Not caring about the cheevo for "100% animal compendium" but it turns out Guarma exclusive animals don't count anyway just FYI.

I guess it would be nice if you could go visit in postgame or something? Just to screw around the jungle hunting animals? Maybe a DLC with Sadie??

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I thought Guarma was fine. I don't know that it fit into the story/themes very well but it was a good diversion and just short enough

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Ah yeah the lack of exploring stuff I 100% agree with. Hopefully they use all the assets for online.

Escobarbarian posted:

I thought Guarma was fine. I don't know that it fit into the story/themes very well but it was a good diversion and just short enough

I just love me a set piece and some bad men doing right for bad reasons. I though thematically that guarma was basically Dutch's promise fulfilled. We got to the tropical island and its hell on loving earth as usual. Also when I arrived I went from wily outdoorsman to being bit by a snake and then stumbling into that blow dart trap.... The snake really sold it that I was out of my depth (until someone handed me a gun and I was like yeah ok I'm still a pro at this).

JBP fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 5, 2018

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

Can we talk about how fuckin good the DAngelo song is in chapter 5 and what an amazing moment that is

I like the house building song.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Also I'm excited for Red Dead Redemption 3 starring Sadie.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

This. Although, I kinda want a single player DLC for Sadie ala Lost and the Damned or Ballad of Gay Tony. Not because she doesn't deserve a full game, but because I don't want to wait 10 years for it.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

I was forever hopeful that this would be the case post-Arthur. The early mission where she goes into town with Arthur seemed like the start of something amazing if they had the balls (heh) to go down that trail.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Capn Beeb posted:

Do stranger missions still pop up for John? I want to be sure I get all the missable trophies this time as I'm a dumb idiot addicted to meaningless pixels

Yes, and they're voiced and everything.

The sheer amount of stuff John talks through after the main game has ended almost makes me feel like this game was going to be John the whole time and at some point they added Arthur as the protagonist. I mean Stranger missions, he says the names of the bounties you go after, has conversations with other NPC's and the whole nine.

Also the loving Time Traveler collection bit is amazing.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Is John worse at drawing than Arthur? I sketched an interesting location, and it was unexpectedly lovely.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

OK I just finished the epilogue ending. What the gently caress was that? Why would Dutch shoot Micah after all that? Just seemed completely random. Then he's allowed to walk off, but killing Dutch is the entire point of RDR 1?! Sloppy poo poo, someone tell me what I'm missing.

I gotta admit seeing the barn built, then walking in and seeing the barn doors where John eventually makes his last stand was pretty surreal. That was a good moment.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

I love how John makes the same pose he does on the original RDR cover with the sawed off shotgun during the epilogue when you shoot that rear end in a top hat who set the ranch on fire and killed that one farmhand. It was a nice touch. :clint:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

OK I just finished the epilogue ending. What the gently caress was that? Why would Dutch shoot Micah after all that? Just seemed completely random. Then he's allowed to walk off, but killing Dutch is the entire point of RDR 1?! Sloppy poo poo, someone tell me what I'm missing.

I gotta admit seeing the barn built, then walking in and seeing the barn doors where John eventually makes his last stand was pretty surreal. That was a good moment.

Dutch doesn't say anything, same as when he could have killed Micah to save Arthur. He leaves the money too. He's done and in RDR he's a crazy caveman. John has to kill him to save his family and himself from the federals in RDR.

E: also he looks like a fat loser. He knows Micah ruined his gang and killed his family. He realises Micah sold them out when half the gang storm a mountain just to kill him for revenge, which is something Dutch knows too well.

JBP fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Nov 6, 2018

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

JBP posted:

Dutch doesn't say anything, same as when he could have killed Micah to save Arthur. He leaves the money too. He's done and in RDR he's a crazy caveman. John has to kill him to save his family and himself from the federals in RDR.

That doesn't answer my questions at all. If it's just " he crazy" then that's poo poo writing.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

That doesn't answer my questions at all. If it's just " he crazy" then that's poo poo writing.

He's crazy in RDR I don't know what to tell you. Did you not notice him losing his mind for 60 hours?

Also as I said he's a hermit in RDR. Like, looks at the other things I posted. He regrets what he did and he knows the truth so he doesn't say a word as is his usual play and kills Micah, then he walks away entirely. He's hosed. In RDR when you catch up to him he's a wild man.

JBP fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Nov 6, 2018

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

JBP posted:

He's crazy in RDR I don't know what to tell you. Did you not notice him losing his mind for 60 hours?

Yeah I did, that doesn't mean it's good writing for him to suddenly shoot Micah, who he's been with for years post-Arthur death at that point.

Also I hate your avatar, plz change.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

When Sadie took the reins on Arthur's horse (RIP Specter, you were a good boy and I'm sorry about those times I accidentally slammed your face into a tree :smith:) in one of the final missions, I was expecting we'd play as her after Arthur inevitably kicks the bucket in the next five minutes. I didn't mind the epilogue with Marston and it was what I was guessing we'd get even before I started playing the game, but even then I was hoping we'd at least get to freeroam as Sadie once John fucks off to Beecher's Hope at the end of the epilogue. I suppose it was easier to use John because they wouldn't have to tweak any of the customization stuff for a completely different character model, but I'd still have liked to play the adventures of the badass bounty hunter lady.

It also feels a little weird to be running around the areas from RDR1 as John at this point because I always got the idea that was his first time in New Austin, but I guess it wasn't explicitly stated either way in RDR1 so whatever. And besides, it's postgame free roam so it doesn't have to make that much sense story-wise anyway.

No Pants posted:

Is John worse at drawing than Arthur? I sketched an interesting location, and it was unexpectedly lovely.
Yes. Check out his sketches of horses. :allears:

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 6, 2018

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Yeah I did, that doesn't mean it's good writing for him to suddenly shoot Micah, who he's been with for years post-Arthur death at that point.

Also I hate your avatar, plz change.

He shoots him because the whole gang or what's left of it have come for revenge. That's a lightbulb moment, he's done everything wrong.

No.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Like he's going to kill Sadie as well, he did what he thought was right in the situation and it comes back to Arthur.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I was half expecting playable Sadie so Rockstar could get extra use out of any online female player assets.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

I'm honestly regretting finishing the story now. I always try to platinum good games, but a lot of the trophies for this are hot garbage (I'm not mashing X for 10 hours for some of the stupid Gambling challenges).

I think I'm burnt out.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

bear is driving! posted:

I'm honestly regretting finishing the story now. I always try to platinum good games, but a lot of the trophies for this are hot garbage (I'm not mashing X for 10 hours for some of the stupid Gambling challenges).

I think I'm burnt out.

I'm still having a lot of fun, I will probably play it again at a slow pace picking up jobs I missed and camp talks but I won't bother with a lot of the poo poo. I forgot to go see the travelling freakshow before ending Arthur's career :(

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

I was half expecting playable Sadie so Rockstar could get extra use out of any online female player assets.

Honestly if post story was just Sadie time and John existed out in his ranch and you could help him off and on that would've been hype as hell

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Capn Beeb posted:

Honestly if post story was just Sadie time and John existed out in his ranch and you could help him off and on that would've been hype as hell

This would have been much better. John does his thing (even play as him in epilogue 1) then Sadie does things around to help him get set up like kill outlaws and bring John on some jobs. John is the successor to Arthur, but so is Sadie in a lot of ways and those two rode on so many heavy situations together that it would have been nice for Sadie to get the journal.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Im pissed off john doesnt have his good hair, and while i appreciate they did it at all, he looks kind of weird in general. its like they morphed his model onto the arthur frame or something and tuned it to look as good as they could.
Also im upset with arthurs handling of strauss, sure loan sharking is low and led to some bad poo poo, but he was much like arthur in that he was just trying to survive and had to play to his strengths in the way arthur did as well. I dont know if we were intended to feel any sort of vindication for that but i wouldve liked that to have been a player choice, especially considering his outcome.
Its weird that the game assigns some sort of nobility into the cold blooded shooting of hundreds but considers loan sharking to be beneath slaughter.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

bear is driving! posted:

I think I'm burnt out.

Yeah I'm not digging post game at all, and there's no way I'm going to even attempt to get all the cheevos. Was really disappointed by the list. GTA V's were much better, pointed you in the direction of good content you might otherwise miss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

HORMELCHILI posted:

Im pissed off john doesnt have his good hair, and while i appreciate they did it at all, he looks kind of weird in general. its like they morphed his model onto the arthur frame or something and tuned it to look as good as they could.
Also im upset with arthurs handling of strauss, sure loan sharking is low and led to some bad poo poo, but he was much like arthur in that he was just trying to survive and had to play to his strengths in the way arthur did as well. I dont know if we were intended to feel any sort of vindication for that but i wouldve liked that to have been a player choice, especially considering his outcome.
Its weird that the game assigns some sort of nobility into the cold blooded shooting of hundreds but considers loan sharking to be beneath slaughter.

What happens to Strauss? I didn't do anything for him and someone mentioned towards the end that he was picked up by the Pinkertons and tortured but he died without saying a word. Arthur says something like "I guess you can't tell a man's character by their appearance"

• Locked thread