Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Who on earth thought those medal mission rating were a good idea? Who on earth would go back to get medals on a mission where you carry things and listen to exposition? Why seemingly punish players for slow mission play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

JBP posted:

Who on earth thought those medal mission rating were a good idea? Who on earth would go back to get medals on a mission where you carry things and listen to exposition? Why seemingly punish players for slow mission play.

yeah that had me cracking up after i did the john proposing to abigail mission and saw i had a silver or whatever for not speedrunning the mans loving proposal

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

What happens to Strauss? I didn't do anything for him and someone mentioned towards the end that he was picked up by the Pinkertons and tortured but he died without saying a word. Arthur says something like "I guess you can't tell a man's character by their appearance"

If you do all the loan shark missions Arthur eventually becomes so disgusted by it all that he kicks Strauss out of the camp.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I really liked the ending and the epilogue, but the problem with it is that Arthur as a character really grew on me massively in chapter 5 and 6, so I decided to replay the game until chapter 3 and just explore in perpetuity from there. John is a great character and I enjoyed the post game stuff with him, especially exploring New Austin, but I think I just need to play more as Arthur when he's not sick. Gonna go and grow a huge beard and become a mountain man I think.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Aphex- posted:

I really liked the ending and the epilogue, but the problem with it is that Arthur as a character really grew on me massively in chapter 5 and 6, so I decided to replay the game until chapter 3 and just explore in perpetuity from there. John is a great character and I enjoyed the post game stuff with him, especially exploring New Austin, but I think I just need to play more as Arthur when he's not sick. Gonna go and grow a huge beard and become a mountain man I think.

I just did that and am at the start of chapter two. So I robbed the shops at Valentine and already killed the gunsmith while doing so. A great start. I never did a lot of shop robbing last time so this is super fun running from the cops after shooting a man for $50. I didn't get what I spent in the shop back though which sucks.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah I didn't actually do a lot of messing around in my first playthrough. The story kind of snowballed and I was enjoying it so I just powered through.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Do the bandit challenges unlock at a certain point or does it open the first time you hold up a townsperson? I think I'm going to start a new game and do bandit Arthur. I got the trophy for doing all of the good honor story missions already so i can be bad now.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
It's weird how many story beats revolve around John, Jack, and Abigail being in danger. John alone gets captured or "killed" at least three times.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
at what point in the story do i get to marry sadie

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

I NEED the soundtrack. The little jingle that plays before John goes to Hanging Dog in the Epilogue and the revamped theme during that shootout. I loving NEED them.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

seriously the soundtrack is loving great. the remix of the original theme and triggernometry during the two John missions got me so hype

plus I want the willie version of cruel world

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Mandrel posted:

seriously the soundtrack is loving great. the remix of the original theme and triggernometry during the two John missions got me so hype

plus I want the willie version of cruel world

I really want the track that plays when you go back to the gang in the swamp and there's a weird horn (?) tootin all WOOOOMMMMM as you mow down pinkerton trash with a Maxim

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

vainman posted:

It's weird how many story beats revolve around John, Jack, and Abigail being in danger. John alone gets captured or "killed" at least three times.

This feels really strongly like the devs are nudging fans of the first one every time. Like "Eh, eh? You know he lives!"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Epilogue 1 sucks. Shut up Abigail and John is lame compared to Arthur. Playing as Charles or Sadie would've been better.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

I probably just missed something at the camp, but is there any indication as to what happens to Karen in the end? I think she's the only character whose fate I don't know.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Guess I'll ask here too: I beat both epilogues and are you supposed to get all of Arthur's weapons / outfits back automatically? Because I definitely didn't.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Guess I'll ask here too: I beat both epilogues and are you supposed to get all of Arthur's weapons / outfits back automatically? Because I definitely didn't.

Yeah you should have your entire inventory. I was rocking Arthur's canon (to me) black metal Schofields.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

JBP posted:

Yeah you should have your entire inventory. I was rocking Arthur's canon (to me) black metal Schofields.

Well that's a cool bug. :negative: Looks like it's happened to other people as well.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Just finished it. What a disappointing final two chapters. The game spends so much time developing these interesting characters and plot threads and then totally ignores all of them.

I get that it's part of the story that Cornwall, Milton, etc. are only a representation of a much bigger problem and the real antagonist of the story is dutch's creeping madness but holy poo poo when you just roll up and shoot cornwall that was the lamest, wet fart of a mission.

I also didn't feel a real connection to John in this story, maybe it was his character but more likely I think it was because you don't really spend much time with him on non "murder everyone" missions because he's usually locked up somewhere. So when you "sacrifice" yourself to save him I was like eh whatever. Now if it were Sadie, it would have been a totally different and far more awesome story if you had to do it to save him AND her or something.

Also maybe I'm alone in this but I didn't feel sad when the horse died. I hate horses in this game, I spent way too much time riding them because of no quick travel, they caused me tons of wasted time fighting the law due to brushing against people, not to mention randomly clipping rocks and sending me flying.

Overall it was an incredible experience for about half the time I played it, then an absolute slog for the rest of it, so it comes out about average I guess.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Well that's a cool bug. :negative: Looks like it's happened to other people as well.

I guess on the bright side you have $20,000

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

abigserve posted:

Just finished it. What a disappointing final two chapters. The game spends so much time developing these interesting characters and plot threads and then totally ignores all of them.

I get that it's part of the story that Cornwall, Milton, etc. are only a representation of a much bigger problem and the real antagonist of the story is dutch's creeping madness but holy poo poo when you just roll up and shoot cornwall that was the lamest, wet fart of a mission.

I think you were meant to be a bit shocked that you just gunned down Cornwall, but loving, why would anyone think Dutch wasn't there just to kill people and get revenge after 5 straight chapters of nothing but revenge.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

abigserve posted:

I also didn't feel a real connection to John in this story, maybe it was his character but more likely I think it was because you don't really spend much time with him on non "murder everyone" missions because he's usually locked up somewhere. So when you "sacrifice" yourself to save him I was like eh whatever. Now if it were Sadie, it would have been a totally different and far more awesome story if you had to do it to save him AND her or something.

Also maybe I'm alone in this but I didn't feel sad when the horse died. I hate horses in this game, I spent way too much time riding them because of no quick travel, they caused me tons of wasted time fighting the law due to brushing against people, not to mention randomly clipping rocks and sending me flying.

Overall it was an incredible experience for about half the time I played it, then an absolute slog for the rest of it, so it comes out about average I guess.

:same:

I guess people that really loved RDR1 might have enjoyed the 2 epilogue chapters more. I liked RDR1 just fine, but I didn't really care to see John's story expanded when, as you said, there were more interesting characters to explore.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

JBP posted:

I think you were meant to be a bit shocked that you just gunned down Cornwall, but loving, why would anyone think Dutch wasn't there just to kill people and get revenge after 5 straight chapters of nothing but revenge.

Yeah, I think that scene could have worked if it had some sort of consequence but it really doesn't. It's just another massive shootout that all three of you walk away from, totally unscathed.

The first few chapters had this feeling of things just ramping up and getting worse due to the misguided choices made by Dutch. I was expecting the Cornwall confrontation to be both earlier on and a turning point in the story where previously, things had been getting worse but this is it now, the Gang's fate is sealed, you just killed an extremely powerful and influential man, poo poo is now officially kicking off.

Instead this moment was the Saint Denis bank robbery, but the game doesn't keep the momentum going, it languishes and falls into the ol' rockstar trap of the endgame involving a massive body count.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

abigserve posted:

Yeah, I think that scene could have worked if it had some sort of consequence but it really doesn't. It's just another massive shootout that all three of you walk away from, totally unscathed.

The first few chapters had this feeling of things just ramping up and getting worse due to the misguided choices made by Dutch. I was expecting the Cornwall confrontation to be both earlier on and a turning point in the story where previously, things had been getting worse but this is it now, the Gang's fate is sealed, you just killed an extremely powerful and influential man, poo poo is now officially kicking off.

Instead this moment was the Saint Denis bank robbery, but the game doesn't keep the momentum going, it languishes and falls into the ol' rockstar trap of the endgame involving a massive body count.

The big run and gun battle are always disappointing to me. poo poo like the Braithwaite mansion owns, but there shouldn't have been another wave, just a sudden outburst of extreme violence in that amazing set piece outside. I'd have appreciated it if the game just had your gang get bushwhacked by maybe ten guys and that does it in the end. Basically all of the battle should have been maybe a little more lethal and had half the dudes show up. So many missions get to a point of unreality in a game that prides itself on immersion and semi-realism.

The times where I've really gone "woah gently caress" are when I've had to suddenly gun down a couple of people and it's just so shocking and so sudden, then it's over. That's a western.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The Doomhammer posted:

I probably just missed something at the camp, but is there any indication as to what happens to Karen in the end? I think she's the only character whose fate I don't know.

It's especially weird when I got Tilly coming up to me right before the mission Red Dead Redemption and she's all "we gotta give Karen an intervention before she drinks herself to death" but I'm pretty sure that anyone not directly involved with the plot is gone from camp at that point.

Also, I'm with the folks who got choked up at the little audio montage as Arthur rides back to camp the last time, but 2 things related to that:
Did anyone else also get teary at Sadie's pleading and calling Arthur the only one she trusts when she asks him to go to the ranch to kill the O'Driscolls?

And what the gently caress was with the ride back to the reservation with Eagle Flies' dying rear end? Charles and the other dude are yelling at you to hurry and get the kid home to his dad, but if you ride any faster than the absolute slowest your horse will move, they get butthurt and yell at you to slow down.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Nov 9, 2018

Bedlam
Feb 15, 2008

Angry thoughts

Gaz-L posted:

And what the gently caress was with the ride back to the reservation with Eagle Flies' dying rear end? Charles and the other dude are yelling at you to hurry and get the kid home to his dad, but if you ride any faster than the absolute slowest your horse will move, they get butthurt and yell at you to slow down.

Holy poo poo that was annoying. I'm pretty sure it's a glitch since they run out of things to say pretty quick. I know this game loves wasting your time but I find it hard to imagine they intentionally have you trot/walk halfway across the map.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
So Micah was only snitching after they got back from the Pacific right, according to Milton at least and they never got anything from Molly, so did the bank job in St Denis going so badly ever get explained or was it just bad luck? Feel like they should've just had Micah be a traitor the whole time really. Definitely echo a lot of the stuff I'm seeing here, game kinda loses itself after Chapter 4 and never fully recovers, there's some really good moments in the later chapters but some really dumb stuff as well.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

that entire buggy scene had me laughing out loud

also, don't know who said it first but i'd really enjoy a sadie/charles dlc

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Once Arthur got consumption TB I figured he would die. I expected to play as Sadie and not John however. That would have been awesome as hell.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
R* hasn't done single player DLC since the first Read Dread. You know they are gonna sink all their time into RDO poo poo. But if they do for whatever reason release some single player DLC I hope it's as weird or weirder then the Red Dead Undead stuff they put out for the first game. That was some off the wall crazy poo poo that worked great. Plus, it's a good excuse to bring back all the dead characters !

Maybe Sadie can be the zombie killer extraordinaire ??!

I will also except that Jack Martson becomes some weird Prohibition era booze smugglin' cowpoke and has to compete with all dem' old timey mafia bosses from the east coast. And the Kennedys. :911:

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Toona the Cat posted:

Once Arthur got consumption TB I figured he would die. I expected to play as Sadie and not John however. That would have been awesome as hell.

i expected a choice and was going to choose bill williamson :haw:

Bedlam
Feb 15, 2008

Angry thoughts

thebardyspoon posted:

So Micah was only snitching after they got back from the Pacific right, according to Milton at least and they never got anything from Molly, so did the bank job in St Denis going so badly ever get explained or was it just bad luck? Feel like they should've just had Micah be a traitor the whole time really. Definitely echo a lot of the stuff I'm seeing here, game kinda loses itself after Chapter 4 and never fully recovers, there's some really good moments in the later chapters but some really dumb stuff as well.

Yeah as far as I know this is a forgotten plot element. It was pretty clear from everyone's reaction of "how did the pinkertons get here so fast" that someone talked before the bank job in ch. 4 but then milton says its when he got back.

It had to be Mary Beth; no one is that pure. :colbert:

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Bedlam posted:

Yeah as far as I know this is a forgotten plot element. It was pretty clear from everyone's reaction of "how did the pinkertons get here so fast" that someone talked before the bank job in ch. 4 but then milton says its when he got back.

It had to be Mary Beth; no one is that pure. :colbert:

Yeah totally, and not just that they get there super fast but that they have Hosea and Abigail so they clearly knew the distraction thing was going down and set a trap for them AND then brought them round to the bank.

Chapter 4 feels like there were some rewrites or something, Angelo Bronte gets disposed of very off handedly and quickly in my opinion. Like it sorta seems like he's going to be the guy you work with for the chapter and then transition into the big enemy but then he fucks you over basically right after you meet him and then you go and kill him (obviously the timing depends based on what order you do the story missions but for me it was like, really jarring).

Bedlam
Feb 15, 2008

Angry thoughts

So if you don't do the honor missions is it ever revealed Arthur had a son? I remember going over it with Rains Falls and I think he mentions it in one of the other honor quests to someone in passing. I don't recall hearing about it earlier but I may not have been paying attention.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Ending stuff: I had 100% honor, and decided to return for the money. Back at the camp, I ran into Micah, we had a long drawn out bloody as gently caress knife fight, until both of us were laying on the ground exhausted. Dutch showed up, and Arthur yelled to him "Micah did this to ussss" and Dutch gave Arthur a look of pained regret. Arthur reached his hand to the sky, and gasped his last breath. It hosed me up fam

Edit: I never saw my horse die. I returned to camp on foot.i like to think he's still out there, smashing headlong into trees

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Nov 9, 2018

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Donovan Trip posted:

Ending stuff: I had 100% honor, and decided to return for the money. Back at the camp, I ran into Micah, we had a long drawn out bloody as gently caress knife fight, until both of us were laying on the ground exhausted. Dutch showed up, and Arthur yelled to him "Micah did this to ussss" and Dutch gave Arthur a look of pained regret. Arthur reached his hand to the sky, and gasped his last breath. It hosed me up fam

Edit: I never saw my horse die. I returned to camp on foot.i like to think he's still out there, smashing headlong into trees

Your horse dies when you and John are running from the Pinkertons and Dutch. I don't think it's avoidable.

thebardyspoon posted:

Hosea and Abigail were casing the bank for what sounded like a week, and Dutch et al had just assaulted Bronte's mansion and the trolley station. It's not a stretch to think that Milton got wind of the Bronte thing and had men parked near big targets given Dutch's MO of "one big score".

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 9, 2018

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I understand why people want to play with Sadie, but I think they clearly wanted to set up Marston's salt of the Earth home life to make RDR1 more retroactively poignant. The entire epilogue felt like it would've been DLC in any other game. It was loving long and had ton of poo poo in it. There are many legit criticisms you can aim at this game but "not having enough poo poo in it" isn't one of them

Also, Abigail sucks. She's 100% every wet blanket S.O. character that's ever been in any piece of fiction. There's a fine line between being understandably concerned about danger and risk and histrionically going "WELL MAYBE YOU SHOULD HAVE LET THE RANCH BURN DOWN, JOHN MARSTON, DID YOU EVER THINK OF THAT?" and she did not tread that line very well.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

OnimaruXLR posted:

I understand why people want to play with Sadie, but I think they clearly wanted to set up Marston's salt of the Earth home life to make RDR1 more retroactively poignant. The entire epilogue felt like it would've been DLC in any other game. It was loving long and had ton of poo poo in it. There are many legit criticisms you can aim at this game but "not having enough poo poo in it" isn't one of them

Also, Abigail sucks. She's 100% every wet blanket S.O. character that's ever been in any piece of fiction. There's a fine line between being understandably concerned about danger and risk and histrionically going "WELL MAYBE YOU SHOULD HAVE LET THE RANCH BURN DOWN, JOHN MARSTON, DID YOU EVER THINK OF THAT?" and she did not tread that line very well.

You realise her husband and son have been missing, presumed dead something like half a dozen times between them. Not to mention the 2 or 3 times it happened to her. Frankly, her not becoming literally catatonic whenever the concept of outlaw poo poo comes up is coping rather well with the PTSD of it all.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

OnimaruXLR posted:

John's way of life puts himself, Abigail and the boy in constant danger. She's stuck thru with him getting chased across the country, going to prison, robbing and murdering. It takes everyone they know either dying or disappearing for John to shake his faith in Dutch, to finally leave for the good of his family and reform. And still, even then John leaves a trail of bodies in his wake, the epilogue beginning with them having to relocate once again. She finally leaves for good and he begs her to come back giving the impression he's really changed for good and working his own ranch, and the first day she's back he's off to do a bounty job and it turns out he paid for the ranch with blood. He even throws it in her face a bit.

Like Gaz said how she's not catatonic is anyone's guess. She believes in him, and is let down over and over.

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Nov 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It's difficult to understand why she pseudo-married him in the first place, considering her default mood seems to be (deservedly) detesting him.

Bravo rockstar, on the most realistic marriage depiction of all time

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 9, 2018

• Locked thread