Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Donovan Trip posted:

John's way of life puts himself, Abigail and the boy in constant danger. She's stuck thru with him getting chased across the country, going to prison, robbing and murdering. It takes everyone they know either dying or disappearing for John to shake his faith in Dutch, to finally leave for the good of his family and reform. And still, even then John leaves a trail of bodies in his wake, the epilogue beginning with them having to relocate once again. She finally leaves for good and he begs her to come back giving the impression he's really changed for good and working his own ranch, and the first day she's back he's off to do a bounty job and it turns out he paid for the ranch with blood. He even throws it in her face a bit.

Like Gaz said how she's not catatonic is anyone's guess. She believes in him, and is let down over and over.

Except when she get's on his case for checks notes stopping his coworkers for getting the poo poo beat out of them, protecting the ranch and not turning himself in to bounty hunters.

If anything, she and John were poorly written for the sake of drama in epilogue 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
IMO it's a miracle this game exists at all and you can see the holes they drilled into the frame to get it out the door in time.

Everything leading up to washing up on that island is so god drat good that the slight decline in writing quality after that chapter is super noticeable.

It's also noticeable during chapter 4 that they had to totally gut it half-way through development. They setup this whole mafia hierarchy full of interesting people to do missions for with that party mission then just skip to the part where Dutch just unceremoniously drowns him. Then all the people at the party just end up being super minor characters that pop up later for 5 minutes.

Although I feel like the epilogue more than makes up for it. I would have liked it to be based around Sadie but seeing John's arc come complete is pretty satisfying.

Now what I really want to bitch about is the inability to teach John to loving swim. Like it's funny once or twice when you forget and manage to drown, but god drat just taking away the ability to swim really loving sucks.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I thought Guarma owned.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
"A bounty of FIVE Dollars, for a job that big. See that Bill? :smug: That's the benefit of do things quiet like-"

Then after the plot side trip to sass a grieving widow and son, my bounty magically increased to $120.

A pittance before with nearly 800 in my wallet beforehand. A pittance after because it was a goddamned bank heist leaving me with just under 3k.

But far more important than money, was the lost feeling of being a smooth criminal.

Because I felt so goddamned cool for robbing a bank with less than :10bux: offered for my head, alas.

EDIT: And then Dutch interrupts me on my way to buy the camp a brand new boat, to gives a sad speech about how I don't put money in the box anymore (That still had over $200 in it) :allears:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Nov 10, 2018

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
After watching the credits I had a fun bug where none of the towns would spawn anything but ambient NPCs. Shops were totally empty including the merchandise and there was no law response for shooting the wandering NPCs.

Had to reboot the game to fix it. What a wild bug.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Goofy half-assed reference in the epilogue, if you go to the general store in Armadillo and see Herbert Moon, theres a lovely picture on the shelf behind him of the Strange Man from RDR1. John comments on it, saying theres something familiar about the man in that picture.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Mandrel posted:

Goofy half-assed reference in the epilogue, if you go to the general store in Armadillo and see Herbert Moon, theres a lovely picture on the shelf behind him of the Strange Man from RDR1. John comments on it, saying theres something familiar about the man in that picture.

I thought that was Trelawny?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Easy mistake to make since they look similar, but its definitely the strange man. You can also find a creepy hut people are associating with the strange man that has a map of armadillo in it, see https://www.reddit.com/r/reddeadmysteries/comments/9vlj6w/everevolving_foreseers_swamp_cabin/

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Speaking of which, apparently this happens at 100% completion :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JGFUnq-JtQ

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
That's loving scary that someone has poop socked that hard already

Check that dude for bed sores

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I played an unreasonable amount of this game since launch and I just finished the epilogue. Gamers never change.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
Uh is my game glitched, I'm just beginning the epilogue and Marston is skinny enough to get charity from Sally Struthers....

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Reposting from the main thread because this game has me all hosed up and I forgot there was a spoiler thread. Commiserate with me, fellow cowpokes.

DrNutt posted:

Well, I guess since I finished the epilogue I'm gonna just assume that Agent Ross loving sucks at his job and never catches up to John Marston and they all live a happy long life at Beecher's Hope. Red Dead Redemption you say? Nah that sounds like a game that takes place before Red Dead Redemption 2, which is obviously a sequel. :qq:

For real though aside from the typical Rockstarisms, which were mostly in the optional side quests anyway, this is probably the best and most actual mature story Rockstar has ever done. There were some muddy motivations and vague bits but most of the time poo poo landed where it needed to land. Probably my game of the generation unless something really mind blowing comes out in the twilight years of these consoles.

Also, someone said the final fate of Mrs. Downes was revealed in one of the Blackwater gazettes? I didn't catch it, but I did see that Mary Beth became a successful romance novelist under an assumed name which is :3: as all hell. What happened to poor Mrs. Downes though?

Edit: Oh poo poo Tilly! Despite knowing what happens to John and Abigail and Jack this might be the happiest ending for a Rockstar game for most of the characters I've ever seen.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Which lady was the one gunned down in the camp early in Chapter 6? Was that her or am I confusing her with O'Shea?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Spiteski posted:

Which lady was the one gunned down in the camp early in Chapter 6? Was that her or am I confusing her with O'Shea?

That was poor Mrs. Grimshaw.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Did RDR 1 ever explain how Abigail died?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

She died of the same thing Padme did.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

She got sick and died if I remember right

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

She got TB from Arthur.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Has anyone found any interesting stuff in New Austin? One of my goals was to visit tumbleweed, the burned down town you have a few fights in during RDR1. If you haven't been, I recommend it.

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Nov 13, 2018

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Donovan Trip posted:

Has anyone found any interesting stuff in New Austin? One of my goals was to visit tumbleweed, the burned down town you have a few fights in during RDR1. If you haven't been, I recommend it.

Yeah the local gang commits interesting crimes all the time

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If I didnt act in time to stop the lawman being killed in Armadillo does that mean Ive locked myself out of some bounties or stranger mission stuff or whatever it may be

Zenzizenzizenzic
May 25, 2012

Fun Shoe
I've been pondering this too much so suffer my conceit: Goonfeed's Top 10 Reasons Sadie Should Have Been the Epilogue Character:

1 - She fills the role of Arthur's successor in a way unattainable to John's intended destiny as a humble family rancher. As she and Arthur bond over their commitment to see the Marstons out safely, they also commiserate over their inability to follow his lead and put the damaged outlaw life behind them. In this light she seems a more obvious candidate for freeroam than the guy with little incentive to leave his ranch other than resupplying at the general store. Bonus points if John declines to hunt down Micah because, as Abigail is right to insist, why endanger the life Arthur wanted for them until the government forces him to?

2 - By the same token, she fills the role of Jack's precursor in that a violent upheaval of her idyllic family retreat sets her down a one-way path of anger and isolation, culminating in a passionate but ultimately hollow quest for revenge against the men responsible. Having players follow her determination to make Micah answer for his betrayal of Arthur and the gang would be a bittersweet mirror of Jack's single-minded desire to find and ventilate Ross for betraying his father.

3 - There's a satisfying bookend in trekking north to familiar haunts at the game's conclusion and, figuratively or literally, burning Micah's established life to the ground, just as he did to her at the beginning.

4 - Visiting John as he gradually builds up his ranch would allow players to experience the peaceful future he was working toward without being tethered to it, and serve as a useful compare/contrast for both characters in terms of the life they embraced and the life they gave away.

5 - Giving her Arthur's journal would be a nice callback to the scene where she muses over what could possibly be inside it, and an opportunity to flesh out her character with what thoughts she adds to it. John already has 1.5 games worth of examination and seems less in need of the attention.

6 - Ludonarrative dissonance, if you're the sort that cares about such things: John has no particular reason to go headhunting in Annesburg or feed bar patrons to crocodiles for looking at him funny, but Sadie probably does both of those things at least once a week.

7 - Rockstar's ability to add interesting missions or characters to the desert region feels stymied by the fact that John apparently doesn't mosey on down yonder until the first game begins, an issue that would not affect Sadie, who already speaks about wanting to make her way south.

8 - delicious gamerbro tears

9 - Just think of all the lost fashion potential :qq:

10 - maybe she can swim????????????!!?

tl;dr:

Capn Beeb posted:

Honestly if post story was just Sadie time and John existed out in his ranch and you could help him off and on that would've been hype as hell

Zenzizenzizenzic
May 25, 2012

Fun Shoe

DrNutt posted:

Also, someone said the final fate of Mrs. Downes was revealed in one of the Blackwater gazettes? I didn't catch it, but I did see that Mary Beth became a successful romance novelist under an assumed name which is :3: as all hell. What happened to poor Mrs. Downes though?

"Indeed this publication received a sunny dispatch from the 31st state that New Hanover's very own Edith Downes has developed and opened a brand new golf course to much acclaim and fanfare. She and her son Archie have, of late, ventured into several businesses out west, which is a very distant lifestyle from her past as a rancher's wife."

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

drat fully agree. I think if Rockstar still made sp expansions it'd made plenty of sense to have one for Sadie and one for John.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Zenzizenzizenzic posted:

I've been pondering this too much so suffer my conceit: Goonfeed's Top 10 Reasons Sadie Should Have Been the Epilogue Character:

1 - She fills the role of Arthur's successor in a way unattainable to John's intended destiny as a humble family rancher. As she and Arthur bond over their commitment to see the Marstons out safely, they also commiserate over their inability to follow his lead and put the damaged outlaw life behind them. In this light she seems a more obvious candidate for freeroam than the guy with little incentive to leave his ranch other than resupplying at the general store. Bonus points if John declines to hunt down Micah because, as Abigail is right to insist, why endanger the life Arthur wanted for them until the government forces him to?

2 - By the same token, she fills the role of Jack's precursor in that a violent upheaval of her idyllic family retreat sets her down a one-way path of anger and isolation, culminating in a passionate but ultimately hollow quest for revenge against the men responsible. Having players follow her determination to make Micah answer for his betrayal of Arthur and the gang would be a bittersweet mirror of Jack's single-minded desire to find and ventilate Ross for betraying his father.

3 - There's a satisfying bookend in trekking north to familiar haunts at the game's conclusion and, figuratively or literally, burning Micah's established life to the ground, just as he did to her at the beginning.

4 - Visiting John as he gradually builds up his ranch would allow players to experience the peaceful future he was working toward without being tethered to it, and serve as a useful compare/contrast for both characters in terms of the life they embraced and the life they gave away.

5 - Giving her Arthur's journal would be a nice callback to the scene where she muses over what could possibly be inside it, and an opportunity to flesh out her character with what thoughts she adds to it. John already has 1.5 games worth of examination and seems less in need of the attention.

6 - Ludonarrative dissonance, if you're the sort that cares about such things: John has no particular reason to go headhunting in Annesburg or feed bar patrons to crocodiles for looking at him funny, but Sadie probably does both of those things at least once a week.

7 - Rockstar's ability to add interesting missions or characters to the desert region feels stymied by the fact that John apparently doesn't mosey on down yonder until the first game begins, an issue that would not affect Sadie, who already speaks about wanting to make her way south.

tl;dr:

Greet: howdy pardner

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

Zenzizenzizenzic posted:

tl;dr:

otoh Sadie is a terrible character with grating voice acting

I'd rather play Miss Grimshaw (rip)

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010
also, John is a skinny little dweeb next to Arthur and he has terrible hair

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm still greeting her on every camp visit so I get the marriage ending

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

am0kgonzo posted:

I too like women who shoot helpless pathetic unarmed drunks.

(I wish you could kick Grimshaw out at the same time as Strauss)

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

am0kgonzo posted:

Sadie is a great character second only to Arthur.

John sucks.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Zenzizenzizenzic posted:

"Indeed this publication received a sunny dispatch from the 31st state that New Hanover's very own Edith Downes has developed and opened a brand new golf course to much acclaim and fanfare. She and her son Archie have, of late, ventured into several businesses out west, which is a very distant lifestyle from her past as a rancher's wife."

Awww, nice. Knowing Rockstar I expected something a lot more cynical. Glad that they didn't make Arthur's redemption totally hollow.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Anyone know the significance of the "Panoramic Map" you can find at a camp where two people froze to death? I wondered if it was a historical reference or just something I'm too stupid to get

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Sadie is a great character second only to Arthur.

John sucks.

Arthur is the best, I agree. But second best is between Dutch and Uncle.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I love being in a bandit camp where I'm not allowed to run to my horse

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

emdash posted:

Anyone know the significance of the "Panoramic Map" you can find at a camp where two people froze to death? I wondered if it was a historical reference or just something I'm too stupid to get

This is probably the one thing I havent found an explanation for anywhere online

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

emdash posted:

The mystery hunter people seem to think it's related to the UFOs, but if it is it's not in a way that is straightforwardly apparent yet that I know of

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

am0kgonzo posted:

also, John is a skinny little dweeb next to Arthur and he has terrible hair

Yea why is he so loving skinny? It's driving me nuts I can't stand how twiggy he is. He's gross-looking, like he's got cancer or something.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I've tried getting him fat just for that reason and it's nigh impossible, pardner. The man has the metabolism of a humming bird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

DrNutt posted:

Awww, nice. Knowing Rockstar I expected something a lot more cynical. Glad that they didn't make Arthur's redemption totally hollow.

I think they counterbalanced that with what happens to the Wapiti Reservation.

• Locked thread