Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hahah the house building scene totally rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Escobarbarian posted:

hahah the house building scene totally rules

The whole epilogue is like a wholesome paint your wagon family western and in that spirit I really liked it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
oh good heres some more chores

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
I wish the game would let me build the house and do the chores and then do the double twist of switching over to Sadie when we head off to kill Micah.

Also, I know it'll never happen, but I'd pay top dollar if R* slapped RDR1 into this engine as an expansion and just let me continue the story that way. I've never played it and I'm not going to buy another console in order to do so.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Im such a sucker for this game I just got emotional because we got up to the mountain for the final mission, I switched to my cold weather outfit, and remembered the coat was the same as the one I used for Arthur.

So ready for my revenge.

e: jesus and then during the solo fight to Micah one guy got close to me and punched Johns Revolver out of my hand and I couldnt find it so I had to switch to my other revolver......Arthurs heavily customised Smithfield. jesus christ everything thats happening is perfect

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Nov 16, 2018

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

JBP posted:

The whole epilogue is like a wholesome paint your wagon family western and in that spirit I really liked it.

I loved it. I had the biggest stupidest grin on my face so many times, mainly the Willie Nelson scored ride to the bank to buy myself Some Land and win back my love and Charles immediately broing down with me and coming to help me build a house, Johns adorable marriage proposal, getting our portraits taken.

It felt like a really necessary thing to have, since we leave Arthur sacrificing everything for John to have a new life. Itd be a huge bummer if the next time we see the guy its stepping off the boat in Blackwater having been Shanghaid by Edgar Ross and having that life we saw Arthur die for seemingly immediately taken away for good. Getting to experience that at least for a time John and his family really did get that idyllic time together makes Arthurs death feel like it meant something.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Yeah, at least John and Abigal got out for a time, and as a byproduct saved Charles and Sadie and Uncle from being pulled under as well. The only reason John gets back in is Ross being poo poo at his own job and blackmailing John.

John and Arthur both were too deep in to ever fully escape their lifestyle, but their turn to the good in the end saves other people.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
I couldn't stand that the whole game is about rootin'-tootin' cowboy shootin' and the end of the main storyline is capped by an unavoidable turret sequence, an unavoidable stationary sniper sequence and an unavoidable ten minute boxing match. Then while trying to kill Micah in the Epilogue the game won't let you actually aim at him while he runs between the small wooden buildings because it needs to let Sadie creep into position.

I enjoyed playing it but the endings (aside from saying goodbye to your horse) were the worst part of it.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I was a big fan of the epilogue, but I've finished all the missions and decided to explore around New Austin, and it...kind of sucks? It's huge, and the terrain is tricky for the horse (lots more sheer cliffs and rock obstacles than the rest of the map), and there are barely any people. Aside from the Tumbleweed bounty missions there's virtually no content at all in that huge expanse.

I get it, it's mostly meant for online and access to the first game's map is really little more than an extended easter egg, but I'm still disappointed in how bare-bones the whole area is. Now that I've defogged the map and gotten the legendary animals I'l probably head back north, never to return.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ShakeZula posted:

I was a big fan of the epilogue, but I've finished all the missions and decided to explore around New Austin, and it...kind of sucks? It's huge, and the terrain is tricky for the horse (lots more sheer cliffs and rock obstacles than the rest of the map), and there are barely any people. Aside from the Tumbleweed bounty missions there's virtually no content at all in that huge expanse.

I get it, it's mostly meant for online and access to the first game's map is really little more than an extended easter egg, but I'm still disappointed in how bare-bones the whole area is. Now that I've defogged the map and gotten the legendary animals I'l probably head back north, never to return.

I had a hilarious time in New Austin when I approached Tumbleweed and assumed it would just be a gang hideout.

If you wipe out the Del Lobos from Twin Rocks you can steal a rad bolero from one of them, which is my go to post game hat. And Thieve's Landing is a gang hideout now.

But yeah otherwise New Austin kind of sucks.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Yeah, at least John and Abigal got out for a time, and as a byproduct saved Charles and Sadie and Uncle from being pulled under as well. The only reason John gets back in is Ross being poo poo at his own job and blackmailing John.

John and Arthur both were too deep in to ever fully escape their lifestyle, but their turn to the good in the end saves other people.

Well, not Uncle. He bit it at the end of RDR1 right before John did. Charles and Sadie are hopefully still kicking though, and Jack obviously.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

I couldn't stand that the whole game is about rootin'-tootin' cowboy shootin' and the end of the main storyline is capped by an unavoidable turret sequence, an unavoidable stationary sniper sequence and an unavoidable ten minute boxing match. Then while trying to kill Micah in the Epilogue the game won't let you actually aim at him while he runs between the small wooden buildings because it needs to let Sadie creep into position.

I enjoyed playing it but the endings (aside from saying goodbye to your horse) were the worst part of it.

Not being able to dead eye or shoot Micah was the weirdest loving poo poo. I liked how the situation played out but a cutscene without taking my ability to play away would have been fine. I appreciated seeing Micah shoot and fire those guns and duck behind poo poo, but a shoot out means I get to shoot and play too.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Mandrel posted:

Well, not Uncle. He bit it at the end of RDR1 right before John did. Charles and Sadie are hopefully still kicking though, and Jack obviously.

He had terminal lombago by then and would have been like 70 so he got a good decade of peace inst the end of his life.

I'm pretty sure New Austin is going to be online heavy, I'd it's not it would be really weird to even bother including it.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Huh, apparently Arthur can run into a dying NPC who leaves behind a love letter to Bonnie MacFarlane. I never encountered that guy on my playthrough.

Of course, the RDR wikia nerds have decided to take this letter as evidence that this guy was Bonnie's husband, and edited her article accordingly. If you actually read the letter and have the capability to even remotely understand what it says, it's obvious Bonnie doesn't want anything to do with this weirdo after his unwanted advances but he wants to "prove her wrong" because he thinks they're meant to be together and he even had a dream where they were married. :downs: Ah, never change, fan wikis.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DrNutt posted:

The best we can hope for is that Sadie will be your intro character for online who welcomes you into town and sets you up with your first job, like Lamar from GTA online.

And the Housers will be all "Hey, there's NPCs from single player giving you quests in online, that's totally what people mean when they say they want single-player narrative content, right?"

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think thats a message in a bottle that pops up on some shoreline.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Escobarbarian posted:

I think that’s a message in a bottle that pops up on some shoreline.

Nah I found a man on the beach by a smashed rowing boat and with his dying breath he gave me the letter.

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure it's a body washed ashore on a beach somewhere that sputters to life when you search him and with his last breath begs Arthur to bring her his letter

efb

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Too bad you can't get into New Austin as Arthur. But of when you go there as John there's a guy that explains why Bonnie and her dad are away from the ranch. I get why they did this but it was a bit of a tease. No reason they couldn't have fudged or retconned things to make New Austin a bit more worthwhile.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I loved the epilogue with John, it really ties together with RDR1 and has an air of melancholy since you know how it turns out. Though it probably is too drawn out. And if RDR3 doesnt star Sadie that is 100% bullshit.

Is there any resolution for Karen? As far as I could tell she survived the collapse of the gang but I didnt notice any little epilogue with her. Seems pretty likely that I just missed something.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

I did not see anything but she was legit drinking herself to death and knew it so I imagine that's about where her story goes

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Empress Brosephine posted:

I feel like the Dutch betrayal, Micah betrayal and Arthur caring about John cane in way to fast and wasnt organically spread throughout the game. Also it was stupidly obvious that Micah was the bad guy.

The other problem I had was that Bill and Javier never had a good turn to being bad or against Arthur. It was like they all saved Javier in Guam and everythings ok then all of a sudden Bill and Javier hate you.

Thats kinda what I wish was expanded more in this game was those two. Maybe have Bill be the rat and thats the reason he goes and forms his own gang etc.

javier was a former mexican revolutionary who got swayed hard by dutch's libertarian rhetoric and bill was too loving stupid to question the boss

the group's rapid disintegration in chapter 6 was fantastic and probably the game's most impressive achievement for me, arthur's TB lends the open-world roaming this desperate melancholy edge (reflected in the changed tenor of all the chapter's stranger missions, most of which are him just trying to keep a little light and a little hope in a really lovely world) and the camp becomes so miserably hostile that you want to spend as little time there as possible, which of course just deepens the rift between arthur and dutch's loyalists

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
also i knew in advance micah was the rat but not that he only started actively collaborating with the pinkertons after guarma, which in retrospect makes a lot more sense

all of dutch and hosea's best-laid plans didn't gang aft agly because of one psychopathic gang member tattling on them behind their backs, it happened because they're a couple of increasingly deluded old men who make bad plans

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Oxxidation posted:

all of dutch and hosea's best-laid plans didn't gang aft agly because of one psychopathic gang member tattling on them behind their backs, it happened because they're a couple of increasingly deluded old men who make bad plans
This is (checks this is the spoiler's thread tab) why I adore the fact that while Dutch is why you get run out of Valentine. loving BILL lays the groundwork for a smooth as silk bank heist in Valentine.

It went so smooth that when I stopped to check once all the bodies finished hitting the floor during the escape, I had a bounty of FIVE DOLLARS! Until the game magicked another 100+ onto that at the mission clear pop-up.

Which is still less than what Dutch cost me :v: I'm a good boy who pays his debt to society on the regular So I can enjoy my hunting in peace

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah Dutch is so obviously desperate for money and for his entire worldview to be validated that pretty much all the big shady characters you interact with after the initial chapters sees him coming a mile away and manipulates the poo poo out of him, leading to him spiraling further downwards and out of control. It's pretty funny except when it leads to Sean or Lenny getting shot obviously.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

So, after the epilogue, I went to finish the Chatenay missions. I mentioned it but didn't post it in the other thread (cause obvious spoilers of protagonist) but you all might appreciate it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YA6pBaoYKmc

It really heightens the confused look John has the whole time when it looks like a massive group hallucination.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I wish I'd gone fishing with that old veteran before leading Arthur to his death. :smith:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Im on my second playthru and making sure to do things with the peeps who end up getting killed. Im already dreading when Sean kicks the bucket. Unfortunately I ran into a bug where Molly is missing from camp so shes never gonna get that mirror pocket watch now. I really appreciate the detail that goes into this game. First time I went through the story. Now Im just taking my time and hanging out in the camp hearing peoples stories. Didnt knew there was times you had the girls sit down and talk with you. Its amazing how Mary and Tilly feel sorry for you while Karen is like you better keep killing :v:. Also holy poo poo Miss Grimshaw gets mean sometimes. Also I hated Micah already but man did I want to punch him for saying a swear word to Jack.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Shindragon posted:

I’m on my second playthru and making sure to do things with the peeps who end up getting killed. I’m already dreading when Sean kicks the bucket. Unfortunately I ran into a bug where Molly is missing from camp so she’s never gonna get that mirror pocket watch now. I really appreciate the detail that goes into this game. First time I went through the story. Now I’m just taking my time and hanging out in the camp hearing people’s stories. Didn’t knew there was times you had the girls sit down and talk with you. It’s amazing how Mary and Tilly feel sorry for you while Karen is like you better keep killing :v:. Also holy poo poo Miss Grimshaw gets mean sometimes. Also I hated Micah already but man did I want to punch him for saying a swear word to Jack.

This is pretty cool because I am replaying and I am collecting all these doodads and none of these dumb motherfuckers ask me to bring them poo poo even when I chill in camp for days playing poker and dominoes.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

dunno if you had the same experience as me but I grappled Micah a bunch of times right at the edge of that cliff and Arthur literally throws him away from it

Like guys, I get that you couldn't actually murder Micah in that setpiece because it'd break the story but maybe don't have it at the top of a loving cliff in a game with a grapple button?

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Where exactly is that location? Can you go there as John? I've already gone to Arthur's grave, but I wanted to revisit the site and couldn't find it.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
Yeah I totally thought you were supposed to throw Micah off the cliff too, like cmon Arthur you have this guy you obviously wanna kill in front of a precipice don't grab him back to safety...
Thank god the fight doesn't end with Arthur hanging on for dear life because I'd have been proper pissed

Ledgy fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Nov 23, 2018

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I vaguely remember RDR1 and I could swear Micah was in it, but apparently not. Huh. Still an amazing game. I loved seeing all of Arthurs sacrifice pay off through John, and John trying to go straight and finally settle down on the ranch - bridging the gap wasnt something I thought I wanted to see, but it was actually really nice to get a happy ending.

The whole leadup to the marriage proposal actually made me tear up quite a bit. Possibly my moment of the year, especially when its Arthurs ring he was gonna give to Mary.

Id kill for some Sadie DLC. I really wanna see her whole life as a gunslinger, from after Arthurs passing to whenever she passes away some time after RDR2. Shes just such a fun character who takes no poo poo from no one.

lateedit: oh my god rewatching all the scenes in RDR1 where John talks about being in Dutch's gang, etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFTrcOLk4Mw

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Nov 23, 2018

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I made the same mistake re: Micah. Maybe he just looks a bit like a character from 1. Irish perhaps?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also I wanna state for the record I found the white Arabian pretty early by chance while doing something else, made him mine, took him all the way through to the endgame...

...and I was loving bawling my eyes out at that cutscene. We had all these adventures together! He even looked just like Dutchs horse ! Wed survived so much, and then... oh man. That was really something.

I miss Arthur.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Taintrunner posted:

The whole leadup to the marriage proposal actually made me tear up quite a bit. Possibly my moment of the year, especially when it’s Arthur’s ring he was gonna give to Mary.

I didn't bother helping them since I murdered everyone and figured they could bone in peace after that.

Robo Turnus
Jul 12, 2006

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
Is there any way to customize your ranch? I keep waiting on doing any big hunting moves because I'm worried there isn't a point to hanging on to any perfect pelts I get. Also do you not get any rewards for doing the fishing or other collection missions after arthur dies? I've sent like 4 fish in and haven't gotten anything back. Had I known this, I might have done more of the collecting earlier in the game. Also laffo that if you do all your chores and play the game like a good boy rancher you get 8 dollars for your trouble. I'll never pay the bank back at that rate!

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I think there still is because if I recall some legendary fishing spots are beyond black water and from what i have seen Arthur cant go beyond without getting killed by invisible snipers. Also I thought you only get rewards completing it all the way through. I think I caught like six and I didnt get a reward yet. Though I havent checked the post mail in a while so... yeah.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Most of the mail in stuff works like, reward at 1, reward at 5, then reward at completion or one more reward inbetween

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I really liked the composition of the shot of Abigail when John is proposing to her on the boat.

• Locked thread