Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I loved how Al constantly felt the need/duty to reign-in Bullock’s irrationality w/r/t Alma and her myriad problems.
:allears:

The man was cuntstruck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Quote-Unquote posted:

I'm rewatching as well. I love Calamity Jane.

EB: "Be brief!"
Jane: "BE hosed!"
I burned my fuckin' snatch!

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I don't think Deadwood gets nearly enough credit for the "minor stuff", by which I mean how incredibly amazing the show always looked, and just how important that was to everything that was going on.. By which I mean primarily aspects of the production such as the set design and the costumes and the makeup and so forth. You really, truly feel the sense of it as an actual, physical place the occupies real and actual space and never for a moment did I ever get "taken out of the moment" by anything especially anachronistic or distracting, and that immersion is so key to the performances, too. I can only imagine it's easier to get into character when you've got the production team, like... re-building half the town, practically, from what I understand. Which I'm sure is part of the reason why the Gem Saloon and the Hardware Store and the Bella Union and so on all feel so incredibly authentic...

Well, anyway. The acting and the writing always gets so much attention (and deservedly so) but I love how every time you watch a season of Deadwood it's like actually visiting the town, almost.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Andy just constantly going,"I apologiiiiiiiize" as Calamity Jane gets more and more infuriated with him is loving incredible.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

kaworu posted:

I don't think Deadwood gets nearly enough credit for the "minor stuff", by which I mean how incredibly amazing the show always looked, and just how important that was to everything that was going on.. By which I mean primarily aspects of the production such as the set design and the costumes and the makeup and so forth. You really, truly feel the sense of it as an actual, physical place the occupies real and actual space and never for a moment did I ever get "taken out of the moment" by anything especially anachronistic or distracting, and that immersion is so key to the performances, too. I can only imagine it's easier to get into character when you've got the production team, like... re-building half the town, practically, from what I understand. Which I'm sure is part of the reason why the Gem Saloon and the Hardware Store and the Bella Union and so on all feel so incredibly authentic...

Well, anyway. The acting and the writing always gets so much attention (and deservedly so) but I love how every time you watch a season of Deadwood it's like actually visiting the town, almost.

This is one thing that HBO shows are really really really really really good at.

e: Like GoT is all over the place on the whole but god drat the sets and costuming are fantastic. WW to a lesser extent.

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Nov 17, 2018

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Yep, I was gonna mention Game of Thrones, too, but "they made a whole Deadwood village" is how I always think of it when a show spends a ton of money on their scenery and sets to make everything look authentic. One of the reasons I'm not optimistic about the Pratchett Night Watch show is that I don't think you can pull it off without creating a whole Deadwood village that they aren't going to want to pay for.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They did a good job making the streets and slums look disgusting in Rome. Especially in the second season with the brothel set.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I'm reminded of when Carnivale bought a period bulldozer for one scene. :allears:

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Was gonna mention Carnivale.

iota subscript
Oct 26, 2010

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! OFFERS 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE TO ANY LIBERAL - ONE SA MEMBER STARTS TO ACCEPT, THEN BACKS OUT AND WETS PANTS AFTER LEARNING IRONKNUCKLE HAS DEBATED ON TELEVISION BEFORE! READ HERE

Jerusalem posted:

Just randomly remembered the "filthy degenerate" who pays each morning to come in and lick some titties before running out of the Gem :xd:

I begrudge that man his capacity for happiness. I do.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Phenotype posted:

Yep, I was gonna mention Game of Thrones, too, but "they made a whole Deadwood village" is how I always think of it when a show spends a ton of money on their scenery and sets to make everything look authentic. One of the reasons I'm not optimistic about the Pratchett Night Watch show is that I don't think you can pull it off without creating a whole Deadwood village that they aren't going to want to pay for.

Wait, what in the gently caress?

There's a gonna be a show?! About my boy Vimes?!?!

:eyepop: :toot:

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

First scene in Deadwood which really made me cry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fwo9KwnOse4

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
"Is there anything the mayor should know?"

"The name of another tailor."

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

"Is there anything the mayor should know?"

"The name of another tailor."

E.B. Farnum, twice measured.

Sol Star, once cut.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

If any of you folks haven't watched the show in like 7-8 years or something (like me) you should SERIOUSLY re-watch it in all of its entirety before this finale... I mean, I know everyone always says this when they revisit a great show after a period of time, but it's SO much better now - I am noticing so many more things, and I feel like I must have been so distracted by things and hosed up back when I watched it the first couple times that I simply DID NOT SEE or did not understand some of the more 'subtle' (yet still pretty obvious) elements of the show. I've only re-watched the first 8 episodes of Season 1, but there are just SO MANY THINGS... Like, I never fully understood the meaning of Bullock's fight with the Indian when he goes after McCall, and I never totally understood why it was Charlie who found him or WHY Bullock was marked like Cain from the encounter...

The biggest thing I missed there was the mirroring between the Indian that Bullock fought, and Bullock himself. That Indian was performing a funeral rite for "his dead friend", who is headless. We can probably assume that his friend's head was the same one that the hooplehead brought into camp with much excitement at almost the *exact same time* that McCall shot Hickock. It's the same head that winds up in the box that Al talks to a great deal in later seasons, in fact, as I recall...

But anyway, it was all very apparent to me how Bullock and that Indians were essentially brothers - both mourning the loss of a good friend and doing what they thought was the right and proper thing to do to avenge the death of their respective friend, in a way. And Bullock ends up killing him, and is so marked like Cain by God after killing his own brother - as the Reverend points out, in fact, just before a seizure.

The other part that makes tremendously more sense is the use of first Corinthians 1:12-31 (I think?) which the Reverend reads from at Wild Bill's funeral....

"14 For the body does not consist of one member but of many. 15 If the foot should say, “Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body,” that would not make it any less a part of the body. 16 And if the ear should say, “Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body,” that would not make it any less a part of the body..." And so on, that might not be the translation or the precise part used in the show but it's the overall gist. And I did not really understand how it was about the manner in which everyone in Deadwood has a relationship to the town itself, in a way - how Bullock, despite being unwilling, MUST be an appendage of the body of Deadwood simply by virtue of being who he is, and living there. Same with Al, or EB, or Jane, and so on...

The first time I had about the same reaction as Bullock, who rants to Sol Star, "What in hell was all that? What part of my part is your part? High water the man never made much sense, but now..." But now it makes a great deal more sense and that reverend seems much less crazy and incomprehensible...

I also would like to point out what an underrated star of the show in the first season has got to be Brad Dourif. He rarely seems to get talked about much but it feels like he's onscreen as much as ANY other star of the show in the first season, and just does a positively tremendous job. Same with the second season really... Both his performance and screen time went down in season and I remember noticing it, and missing his presence.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The subtle language in this show is amazing. I was a teenager when I last watched it, so I didn't catch it at all. But there are so many subtle jabs and insults you simply won't get if you aren't paying attention. There's no way anyone could constantly come up with these phrases on the spot all the time in real life, but it works perfectly in this show. And the various levels at which people have authority. Al clearly has control over EB, so EB tries to emulate Al whenever he can over someone else to make himself seem important. My only gripe so far is that every time I see Merrick, I remember that the actor is a pedophile.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You can get the entire series for $30 on iTunes right now. It's a good tarnation of a deal.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

all this thing is missing is a full season and this guy

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Man, Cy absolutely brutalised those kids that tried to steal from him. While Al is brutal, callous and ruthless, Tolliver is straight up loving sadistic when he's furious. Swearengen at least has some sense of compassion from time to time.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Al might be brutal, but he does care about people who deserve it. He might have been pissed off at the Reverend, but he killed him out of compassion, not malice.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Rest in peace Powers Boothe you were the best cowboy since Clint Eastwood

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Quote-Unquote posted:

Man, Cy absolutely brutalised those kids that tried to steal from him. While Al is brutal, callous and ruthless, Tolliver is straight up loving sadistic when he's furious. Swearengen at least has some sense of compassion from time to time.

The best part about that scene, if you have kids especially, was that the kids he killed are Beast Boy and Princess Anna.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
WTF that was Kristen Bell?

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Cojawfee posted:

Yep

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That Corinthians quote really is one of the most important things in the whole series. It’s basically the entire mission statement behind the show.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

That Corinthians quote really is one of the most important things in the whole series. It’s basically the entire mission statement behind the show.

It really is - I would say it's more like uh... the thesis statement of (at least) the first two seasons. I'd love it if they revisited it in some oblique fashion in this film.

Along with that quote, I think much can be learned by comparing and contrasting the funeral of Wild Bill Hickock (and the text surrounding it) with the funeral of Bullock's son, which is presided over by Andy Cramed, near the end of season 2.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Troy Queef posted:

The best part about that scene, if you have kids especially, was that the kids he killed are Beast Boy and Princess Anna.

I picked this up on my current rewatch

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Troy Queef posted:

Cojawfee posted:

:psyboom:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Hexel posted:

all this thing is missing is a full season and this guy

I really, really hope this will be a backdoor pilot for a new series.

Also besides Cy and Richardson not returning due to actor deaths, Titus Wellver will not be returning as Adams due to other commitments. Which sucks, because he was cool.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

loving Adams :mad:

God this is gonna be so good, I can't wait.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Holy poo poo - even Jeffrey Jones is returning as Merrick.

I thought he had like, totally and completely quit acting. That's honestly a surprise he's like the one guy I'd think wouldn't be back for uh, various reasons. I guess Deadwood was actually the one thing he did after his conviction of note, though. He even has an attractive teenage male apprentice according to IMdB credits...:v:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

loving Adams :mad:

God this is gonna be so good, I can't wait.

loving BOSCH

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

kaworu posted:

Holy poo poo - even Jeffrey Jones is returning as Merrick.

I thought he had like, totally and completely quit acting. That's honestly a surprise he's like the one guy I'd think wouldn't be back for uh, various reasons. I guess Deadwood was actually the one thing he did after his conviction of note, though. He even has an attractive teenage male apprentice according to IMdB credits...:v:

That's quite something. His personal life aside (challenging as that is), Merrick was one of my favorite characters on the show and I thought his performance was really solid, as was the case with most of the cast. He had his questionable moments but overall came across as one of the more decent people in Deadwood.. ironically.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The Ambulators shall walk again!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Even though he was only in the first episode, I'd love it if they pull a Wolcott for Timothy Odmundson and bring him back as a different character.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

drat, the actor who played Johnny Burns has been in quite a bit... He played 'Old Nick' in the film 'Room' which like, makes Johnny a bit creepier to me.

I don't know how they're all going to fit this into what.... ~120 minutes? It just seems weird to get everyone back together 10 years later and only make a "feature length" film. It seems kind of arbitrary and weird to me when you can basically go with any format you want.... Not like this will be in theaters, sadly.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

kaworu posted:

drat, the actor who played Johnny Burns has been in quite a bit... He played 'Old Nick' in the film 'Room' which like, makes Johnny a bit creepier to me.

I don't know how they're all going to fit this into what.... ~120 minutes? It just seems weird to get everyone back together 10 years later and only make a "feature length" film. It seems kind of arbitrary and weird to me when you can basically go with any format you want.... Not like this will be in theaters, sadly.

He was also Trey in Rectify and his acting is awesome in that.

I totally agree that a film is disappointing. Seems like no time at all to explore a revisiting of the town and I am shocked they wouldn't try to do like a four episode mini season or something. HBO owns the rights so they have restrictions but I am actually kinda bummed that this will inevitably just be a tease and fall short of something more substantial.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

In a totally ideal world, Milch would have emulated Lynch and had an entire 18-episode arc ready to go! Or you know, he could have just done 4 episodes, like you said - that wouldn't have been so bad! I mean, for Lynch 4 episodes was just what he released on the first night for the premiere when he revisited Twin Peaks summer before last...

It honestly sort of sucks, in a way, because I feel like the extent to which that Twin Peaks reunion season was so goddamn fantastic, I now have sky-high expectations for this Deadwood movie - and that ain't necessarily a good thing! I'm really gonna have to lower my expectations and remind myself that it USUALLY doesn't kinda work out too well when shows do this all the time...

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I thought HBO offered him to do a mini series to finish it up but he declined and the show was cancelled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I remember the original plan way, way back when was to have two feature-length films after season 3 wrapped up.