Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

And then he came back to HBO to do a surfer/Jesus drama and then a horse racing gambling drama. Stuff that nobody wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Mu Zeta posted:

And then he came back to HBO to do a surfer/Jesus drama and then a horse racing gambling drama. Stuff that nobody wanted.

"Jfc" summed up my feelings pretty well when I heard

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Mu Zeta posted:

I thought HBO offered him to do a mini series to finish it up but he declined and the show was cancelled.

Source? As far as I know Deadwood asked Milch to skimp majorly on budget and set design to the point where Milch didn't see the point and it got cancelled.

Milch also has the problem of having zero success since Deadwood. Nobody watched Luck and it got bad PR after getting cancelled due to multiple horses dying on set and the new generation of TV watchers have no clue who he is.

He doesn't have anywhere remotely near the clout Lynch has, who is a cultural icon in American film and television.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Farrier Theaks posted:

"Jfc" summed up my feelings pretty well when I heard

JfC I thought was before Deadwood. Either way, it was also a colossal failure.

Luck was a great show.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Apparently Milch is involved to some degree on True Detective season 3, which has me tentatively excited even with the knowledge that apparently Nic Pizzolatto continues to have "creative differences" with his directors.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

Apparently Milch is involved to some degree on True Detective season 3, which has me tentatively excited even with the knowledge that apparently Nic Pizzolatto continues to have "creative differences" with his directors.

He co-wrote one episode.

I really, really liked John From Cincinnati. Underrated imo

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

RIght now HBO is struggling to keep up with the rest of Prestige TV, a genre they pretty much invented. It so happens that one of their biggest current successes is a western/scifi show. Milch hasn't done well since Deadwood ended. A lot of the cast is free and dying to work with him again. HBO is already renting the sets of the western town for part of the year for production of Westworld. And I'm pretty sure the execs who gutted the budget/said Deadwood cost too much are long gone.

That's why I'm hoping this is a backdoor pilot and testing the waters for a full series return. The toughest sells would be for Olyphant and McShane who are currently on other shows but if they could make it work schedule-wise, we could see a full season of say 10 episodes in 2020.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I just want to spend more time with Joanie Stubs, Jane, and Mose. The real triumvirate of the show.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Astroman posted:

That's why I'm hoping this is a backdoor pilot and testing the waters for a full series return.

Bryan Fuller is such a fan of Deadwood that he created a lengthy history of getting hosed over by studios, just so American Gods season 2 would be cursed and McShane would want to get the hell out of there :patriot:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Jerusalem posted:

Bryan Fuller is such a fan of Deadwood that he created a lengthy history of getting hosed over by studios, just so American Gods season 2 would be cursed and McShane would want to get the hell out of there :patriot:

AG was the real backdoor pilot for this! :v:

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I wondered why Jim Beaver wasn't coming back too and then I checked the wiki and realized I'd forgotten some parts.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I wondered why Jim Beaver wasn't coming back too and then I checked the wiki and realized I'd forgotten some parts.

Oh, Ellsworth.

:smith:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

He played a badass in Justified. One of the better antagonists to Timothy Olyphant.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Justified was great and had little mini reunions of Deadwood actors each season.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Mu Zeta posted:

He played a badass in Justified. One of the better antagonists to Timothy Olyphant.

Wait, who was he in Justified?

I haven't seen past season 4 yet, so if he's not in the first 4, nevermind, I'll find out.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Mu Zeta posted:

Arts speech about how they needed to stop and just admire what a badass old man he was was :lol:

Edit ^^ I dont want to spoil anything because the reveal is pretty good, but I think the fourth season is the one where he plays a major role.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Nov 23, 2018

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Wait, who was he in Justified?

I haven't seen past season 4 yet, so if he's not in the first 4, nevermind, I'll find out.

He's in three and four. He plays a member of law enforcement whose character develops into a fairly significant foil for Raylan by the end of his run. If you've seen season 4, you'd remember him.

Escobarbarian posted:

He co-wrote one episode.

I really, really liked John From Cincinnati. Underrated imo

John From Cincinnati's great. Great dialogue, and the stuff with John is genuinely clever, and could be hysterically funny too. But it was an approach that was probably more alienating than even Deadwood or The Wire could be. You've not just got to accept a complex web of character interaction sans handholding, you've got to accept a lot of magical world building explicitly rooted in Christian theology -- also delivered without the ease of explanation. There are moments when the show makes you work like an absolute dog to follow whatever the gently caress it's doing, but the few moments I felt like I really "got" it were pretty loving great. But I think it mostly went over my head.

I'll say this for it. The opera scene in the third episode is one of the most perfect pieces of comedy that ever made it to television, and it's worth the price of entry to the show alone.

Milch at that time was basically insanely noncommercial, and by the end of the season he was grabbing people off the street and offering them roles in the show, but it was a very fun ride. Can't help but feel it'd have really come into its own in the second season, particularly given that the intention was to take the show to Afghanistan.

The news that Milch is only co-writing a single episode of Pizzaman's new show pretty much dashes any remaining hopes I had for the thing. The only reason I was checking it out at all was because of Milch. Now I'll just have to see how much of a car crash it ends up being.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I only finished half of season 4, but that was probably about 3-4 years ago, so I'm going to rewatch it, and finish the show, because it was so good.

gently caress, Margo Martindale did a fantastic job in S2. I even liked knife-dude Neal Mcdonough in S3, as ridiculous as he was.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I only finished half of season 4, but that was probably about 3-4 years ago, so I'm going to rewatch it, and finish the show, because it was so good.

gently caress, Margo Martindale did a fantastic job in S2. I even liked knife-dude Neal Mcdonough in S3, as ridiculous as he was.

Season 2 was definitely the highlight for me because of Mags, with 4 not far behind, probably tied with 3. I liked the mystery of season 4 but i dont think Patton Oswalt is funny at all.

I think 5 is universally considered the worst season (Elmore Leonard died that year, and it shows), but it has a great take on the theme song. And six is a pretty great ending.

Anyway what I'm saying is, the show is worth watching all the way through, even if it's a little uneven. The bad isnt terrible and the good is loving great.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I never got into Justified because in the first episode he kept saying "It was justified" and that was too much for me.

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
Hahaha I hate when they make a point to say the name of the show or movie in the actual dialogue.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

I never got into Justified because in the first episode he kept saying "It was justified" and that was too much for me.

Get through the first 3 episodes of the first season and you're good to go. It really is a fantastic show and was one of my favorites all the way through. Season 5 does kind of drag, but 6 more than makes up for it and is a satisfying conclusion.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah Justified is a killer show even though s5 wasn’t great. And I agree that 2 and 4 are the best seasons.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Season 3 was great too, largely because of Neal McDonough's manic energy as a smug, sadistic villain spiraling out of control in a weird place where none of the rules he was used to mattered. I'll take 3 over 4 because of him.

Justified is one of my top ten favorite dramas (along with Deadwood), and I always recommend it to everyone. Then, if you want more small town badassery, you have to watch Banshee, which is not as well-written as Justified, but pulpier and fun as hell.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Ornithology posted:

Hahaha I hate when they make a point to say the name of the show or movie in the actual dialogue.
Welcome to fuckin' Deadwood.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like this point could be combative.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Season 3 was great too, largely because of Neal McDonough's manic energy as a smug, sadistic villain spiraling out of control in a weird place where none of the rules he was used to mattered. I'll take 3 over 4 because of him.

Justified is one of my top ten favorite dramas (along with Deadwood), and I always recommend it to everyone. Then, if you want more small town badassery, you have to watch Banshee, which is not as well-written as Justified, but pulpier and fun as hell.

His, "and that's why they call it organized crime" might be one of my all time favorite lines. That and "the next ones gonna come faster" and "I disarmed him" were all in the same season I believe.

What a great season.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
“Next one’s coming faster” is one of my favourite lines ever. It’s so loving cool

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I don't know why but one of my favorite Timothy Olyphant performances is in Dreamcatcher where he plays a drunken Maine car salesman with psychic powers (which he only uses to fail at getting laid) who nearly gets his dick bitten off by a shitweasel during a snowstorm. That's like, the entire story arc. And he plays it to the hilt!

It's actually kinda worth seeing the movie just for the weirdness of seeing Olyphant, Damien Lewis, Thomas Jane, and Jason Lee playing 4 loser buddies from Maine... It's really funny that Jason Lee was the most recognizable name on that list at the time this was made in 2003. Really, I don't think the other 3 had done much of anything of too much note at that point.

Maybe part of why I like that ridiculous flick is because I'm from Maine and I love that Olyphant was the only one who even attempted a Maine accent (didn't quite get it but it's hilarious to watch) but I sincerely enjoy that film for all it's awfulness and weirdness.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 24, 2018

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I like Olyphant in The Girl Next Door

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Justified is great but when the gently caress are they gonna pass a law stopping Michael Rapaport from being in good shows and wrecking them? :mad:

Season 5 killed my interest in the show and by the time I caught up on season 6, I'd grown to really detest Raylan and was far more interested in Boyd and Ava. Seasons 1 - 4 are exceptional though, and yeah Margo Martindale in season 2 is an incredible villain.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
After I watched Justified, I had to shake the habit of enthusiastically greeting people by using their full names, as in "Well if it isn't RAYLAN GIVENS!"

Of course, after watching Deadwood both times through, I had to REALLY watch my vocabulary, as I was much more likely to say things that could have gotten me fired.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I've been thinking about what an utterly fantastic word "cocksucker" is merely in terms of the way it sounds - it has an almost... refreshing sound to it, I think. Like "Alka-seltzer" or "Coca-cola". "Cocksucker" feels good and satisfying to say - it never struck me as mean-sounding either, like 'friend of the family' or 'human being' which not only have vile meanings but even SOUND vile while saying or hearing them. Cocksucker, on the other hand, doesn't really mean anything bad at all (most of my best friends throughout life have been cocksuckers, I'm a cockucker, etc). It's like what George Carlin always said about the word, except I would add "nice queer man" as well as woman... But that kind messes up the joke.

Anyway, another note on my rewatch: Holy poo poo I had COMPLETELY forgotten that Sarah Paulson plays Miss Isringhausen! And she looks SO freaking young, yet the remarkable thing was she was already like 30 back in 2005! That would have been like 6+ years before even the *first* season of American Horror Story, and season 2 of that season was what made me (and a lot of other people) really start to take note of her I think. Just amazing that she had a fantastic part like that on this show in 2005. She's honestly older than I thought.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Solice Kirsk posted:

Justified was great and had little mini reunions of Deadwood actors each season.

How about this:

New full season of Deadwood. Walton Goggins has an arc. :aaaaa:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Wynn Duffy owns. He's like a human cockroach.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Astroman posted:

How about this:

New full season of Deadwood. Walton Goggins has an arc. :aaaaa:

Replacing loving Adams with Walton Goggins would be so loving amazing.

Mu Zeta posted:

Wynn Duffy owns. He's like a human cockroach.

Haha yeah, Wynn Duffy was absolutely incredible :allears:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jerusalem posted:

Justified is great but when the gently caress are they gonna pass a law stopping Michael Rapaport from being in good shows and wrecking them? :mad:

Season 5 killed my interest in the show and by the time I caught up on season 6, I'd grown to really detest Raylan and was far more interested in Boyd and Ava. Seasons 1 - 4 are exceptional though, and yeah Margo Martindale in season 2 is an incredible villain.

Agreed. I second the Rapaport Act.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Put Dewey Crowe in the old west and don't explain it at all, just a tweaking idiot interrupting a soliloquy to ask after some oxy.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Only if Walton Goggins is there to interrupt him in turn to declare,"WHYYYYY, Dewey Crowe!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I appreciated the very quick Peter Greene spot in episode one, and after watching the Shield twice and loving everything about it, maaaaaan, Walton Goggins is loving incredible.