Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who wins the champ this year?
This poll is closed.
A contracted Cleveland Cavs team. 4 4.60%
DUNK CITY'S REVENGE 4 4.60%
Not Gonzaga 5 5.75%
gently caress Duke 47 54.02%
Not your team, that's for sure 15 17.24%
Your 10 y/o niece's bracket pick 12 13.79%
Total: 87 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

elentar posted:

UVA scuffled some but ended up beating Dayton, which means that tomorrow the crime against basketball that is Virginia-Wisconsin will be perpetrated once more.

Virginia wins a barnburner, 53-46, and with it apparently dominion over Atlantis? I'm not too sure on how this all works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I only watched a few seconds of the second half by oh my god please ban UVA and Wisconsin from playing basketball

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
I think ESPN finally learned their lesson last year not to pair them in the ACC/B10 Challenge, but this time some organizer at this tournament invited both teams and put them on opposite sides of the bracket knowing full well that was probably going to be their final. Probably that person should get fired.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Fire Danny Manning. Immediately. Dude can recruit and nothing else.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Northwest Nazarene knocked off Idaho to become the third non-D1 school this season to beat a D1.

The Nazarenes are a Christian denomination that believes that anytime you sin, you lose your salvation and are bound for hell unless you get saved again immediately. So you could be totally saved, miss a shot or something, say "Goddammit", and drop dead of a heart attack and that's it for you, which seems inordinately panic inducing but at least adds a little spice to life?

(NNU is D2, the only non-NCAA school to beat a D1 so far this year was Loyola New Orleans against McNeese State. They're Jesuit there, so to lose your salvation there you'd have to enter into mortal sin, which would be difficult to do on the basketball court. Also, they're an excellent school academically, even if one of the things they are known for is having a school called the Butt College of Business.)

elentar fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Nov 24, 2018

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
wvu is playing an unbracketed game versus valpo in the tournament that was over last week

woo loving hoo kill me

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I hope Gonzaga is #1, not Kansas. The thing is if KU is the best team in the country we are in for some seriously bad basketball this season, friends.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
VT likely to get star freshman wing Landers Nolley back for our next game, Tuesday against Penn State. gently caress the NCAA for waiting until the season started to question how well he scored on the ACT and make him retake the test. gently caress them forever and ever, amen. In other super good personnel news, hearing the team's expecting to have Chris Clarke playing again by the time we play Washington in a few weeks. Woo!

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Nur_Neerg posted:

VT likely to get star freshman wing Landers Nolley back for our next game, Tuesday against Penn State. gently caress the NCAA for waiting until the season started to question how well he scored on the ACT and make him retake the test. gently caress them forever and ever, amen. In other super good personnel news, hearing the team's expecting to have Chris Clarke playing again by the time we play Washington in a few weeks. Woo!

lol hello and welcome fwend

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Nur_Neerg posted:

Standardized testing is a lovely relic that needs doing away with across the board. A lot of grad schools have axed requirements for the GRE or SAT subject tests, hoping more undergrad schools make them optional and the College Board will just wither away and die.

Also, goddamn but Virginia Tech is going to be good.

edit: Villanova beat a really good Florida State team so it's possible they've recovered from that Michigan-Furman week.

elentar fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 25, 2018

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

The first NCAA computer ranking is out and is of course flaming trash. Interesting to see if it evens out as sample size increases. (Scroll down the list for more highlights)

https://twitter.com/marchmadness/status/1067105577661276160?s=21

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

elentar posted:

The first NCAA computer ranking is out and is of course flaming trash. Interesting to see if it evens out as sample size increases. (Scroll down the list for more highlights)

https://twitter.com/marchmadness/status/1067105577661276160?s=21

Congrats for falling for the sports version of clickbait.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

iospace posted:

I mean it's of note because this is what they're using to rank teams for the tournament in place of RPI.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I do not think KU is the #1 team. I also do not WANT to be the #1 team.

That said have you ever heard of Team A being ranked #1 and then beating the #10 team in the country on a neutral court and getting leapfrogged because Team B looked so good? Then Team A also beats the #5 team on neutral a court, and Team B loses to Team C and then Team C ALSO leapfrogs Team A?

I've just never seen that before. But Zion weighs 280 and can dunk soooooo here we are.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I'm guessing the NET thing HEAVILY favors road wins because otherwise I can't see why OSU would be #1.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 10 days!)

everyone focusing on ohio state and I'm over here looking at Loyola Marymount

edit: which is not the same Loyola from last year's final four, for those who are confused

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

iospace posted:

Sorry, in the future will refrain from bringing relevant content into a moribund thread.

edit: lord, why did any voter rank UVA number 1? They're good but nowhere near Duke/Kansas/Gonzaga good. Fully expecting them to lose this week here at Maryland; I'd go but they don't discount single-game seats and for many reasons really don't feel like handing 25 or 30 bucks of my UMD salary over to the athletic department.

elentar fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 26, 2018

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

lol hello and welcome fwend

Hi Andi ;-*

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

elentar posted:

Sorry, in the future will refrain from bringing relevant content into a moribund thread.

I'm glad you posted it for the comments alone

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

iospace posted:

if you don't actually pay any attention to the sport you don't have to post about it

Iowa is 15 so that poll is good imo

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I like how Nebraska fell to 14 from 1

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
^ the best is San Francisco from 5 to 25

Peanut President posted:

everyone focusing on ohio state and I'm over here looking at Loyola Marymount

edit: which is not the same Loyola from last year's final four, for those who are confused

Who

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Metapod posted:

^ the best is San Francisco from 5 to 25

Who

it's easy to miss it because it looks like an extension of the LAX satellite parking.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Big mad at all the bad hbcu teams being at the bottom of the ranks

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

ACC-Big Ten Challenge starts in an hour with Nebraska at Clemson. That game, like many of the others this year and the Challenge as a whole, actually has a chance of being pretty interesting; the only complete dogshit games are Pitt at Iowa and Rutgers at Miami, though I'm sure Wisconsin is going to dismantle NC State as well and probably any hopes of Indiana beating Duke will be over by the second media timeout.

Schedule:

quote:

Monday

Nebraska at Clemson, 7 p.m., ESPN2
Minnesota at Boston College, 9 p.m., ESPN2

Tuesday

Illinois at Notre Dame, 7 p.m. ESPNU
Virginia Tech at Penn State, 7 p.m. ESPN2
Michigan State at Louisville, 7:30 p.m., ESPN
NC State at Wisconsin, 9 p.m., ESPN2
Pitt at Iowa, 9 p.m., ESPNU
Indiana at Duke, 9:30 p.m., ESPN

Wednesday

Rutgers at Miami, 7:15 p.m., ESPNU
Syracuse at Ohio State, 7:15 p.m., ESPN2
Virginia at Maryland, 7:30 p.m., ESPN
Purdue at Florida State, 9:15 p.m., ESPN2
Georgia Tech at Northwestern, 9:15 p.m., ESPNU
North Carolina at Michigan, 9:30 p.m., ESPN

elentar fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Nov 27, 2018

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

elentar posted:

edit: lord, why did any voter rank UVA number 1? They're good but nowhere near Duke/Kansas/Gonzaga good. Fully expecting them to lose this week here at Maryland; I'd go but they don't discount single-game seats and for many reasons really don't feel like handing 25 or 30 bucks of my UMD salary over to the athletic department.

I’ll be going since it’s only a 10 minute drive from my house and they don’t play GW this year

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Wednesday starts a brutal stretch for Purdue

11/28 @FSU
12/1 @Michigan
12/6 Maryland
12/9 @Texas
12/15 Notre Dame in Indy

Going from FSU Wednesday night to Michigan Saturday afternoon is probably not going to go well. 3-2 would be a good result.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

elentar posted:

ACC-Big Ten Challenge starts in an hour with Nebraska at Clemson.

B1G 1 ACC 0 y'all

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
South Carolina just lost to Wofford by 20 :lol:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I have a feeling that Oregon may not actually be good.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Bird in a Blender posted:

I have a feeling that Oregon may not actually be good.

At least Bol is fun to watch I guess but yeah, this team is bad so far. Hopefully they improve over the course of the season, PAC-12 is kinda trash this year so they'll probably look improved regardless.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I mean it's of note because this is what they're using to rank teams for the tournament in place of RPI.

Fair enough then!

elentar posted:

Didn't know that that was the new tourney seeding method, my apologies.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:
This Nevada/Loyola game is extremely fun to watch as a Nevada alum. Fully expect them to pile it on in the 2nd half. Caleb Martin really wants to blow them out.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

A little surprised Penn State beat Virginia Tech. Challenge is tied with Michigan State-Louisville in an equally unexpected overtime for the lead.

Meanwhile Wake Forest saw off Western Carolina to clinch the ACC-Southern Conference Challenge, 1-0.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

This Missouri team is a joy to watch on defense, they play super solidly. Somehow that doesn't translate to valuing the ball on offense and the contrast is unbelievable. Turnover city.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

it's silly that zion has to play college ball

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

elentar posted:

A little surprised Penn State beat Virginia Tech. Challenge is tied with Michigan State-Louisville in an equally unexpected overtime for the lead.

Meanwhile Wake Forest saw off Western Carolina to clinch the ACC-Southern Conference Challenge, 1-0.

I so wanted us to lose that game. Danny Manning is a worse head coach than Jeff Bzdelik.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

double negative posted:

it's silly that zion has to play college ball

It's very upsetting that Duke has a cool player, they should only be allowed to have obnoxious try hard floor slappers

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Asleep Style posted:

This Missouri team is a joy to watch on defense, they play super solidly. Somehow that doesn't translate to valuing the ball on offense and the contrast is unbelievable. Turnover city.

They're actually pretty good on offense when they get to take shots too, so it's doubly disappointing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

I mean Duke was good on offense last year and really bad on defense.

Anyway WVU is going to have a struggle session with Rider tonight. Send good thoughts.