Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Last year my family ate a chicken for Thanksgiving instead of turkey, and I thought it was because we couldn’t afford a turkey because we were in some dire financial straits at the time.

Turns out my mom just hates turkey, and my dad doesn’t like dealing with all the turkey leftovers.

So we’re doing chicken again this year.

gently caress. :ughh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hey man chicken is good

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Steve Yun posted:

Hey man chicken is good

BUT IT’S NOT THANKSGIVING! :argh:

THANKSGIVING IS FOR TURKEY!! :argh:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
If a whole turkey is too much you can maybe find a turkey breast or breast carcass for $20 at your local grocer.

If your mom really doesn’t like the taste of turkey, let her have her way and cope with it by telling yourself that thanksgiving is in the heart and not on the dinner table, yadda yadda

Al Goreban Dallas
Dec 9, 2017

Steve Yun posted:

If a whole turkey is too much you can maybe find a turkey breast or breast carcass for $20 at your local grocer.

If your mom really doesn’t like the taste of turkey, let her have her way and cope with it by telling yourself that thanksgiving is in the heart and not on the dinner table, yadda yadda

Or just make kenjis roulade. I haven’t met anyone that didn’t love it.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

or do a duck or goose

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
This is a really dumb question, but it will be our first time hosting thanksgiving for six guests. I’m making all the classic stuff; a small turkey, green bean hot dish, roasted yams, bread, mashed potatoes, etc. How does one utilize the oven so that all the food is hot when it comes time to eat? Do I make the hot dish and yams the night before and put them in the fridge until after the turkey is done the next day, then reheat them? Or do I prepare them while the turkey is cooking, then bake them after the turkey is done, and then pop the turkey back in for a few at the end?

I’m making the bread the night before and most the other stuff can be made on the stove top.

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

My god, it's full of :jeb:!
I tend to make stuff the day before or so and then just reheat them all in the already hot oven while the turkey rests. Won't have to worry about something not coming out right or having to mess with different temps for different dishes if you don't have multiple ovens. Also some stuff just tastes better the next day after it has time to sit together after being cooked.

Less stress and more time to focus on guests and anything you are doing day of on the stove top.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
How do you all make your gravy? Once I've taken whatever I'm roasting out of the oven and drained off the juices and fat I'll make a roux using the fat if possible but butter if not. Once I've got the roux nice and brown I'll slowly stir in stock to combine until I've used up the stock. At this point I'll add the reserved juices from the meat and half a bottle of wine with the colour corresponding to whether I've cooked red or white meat. I like to add a decent amount of brandy too. It generally needs a while after this to boil off the alcohol and reduce. I like to squeeze in a lemon if I'm making gravy for white meat or something sweet like red currant jelly for red meat.

Also I add msg because I add it to all sauces/gravies

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Jose posted:

How do you all make your gravy? Once I've taken whatever I'm roasting out of the oven and drained off the juices and fat I'll make a roux using the fat if possible but butter if not. Once I've got the roux nice and brown I'll slowly stir in stock to combine until I've used up the stock. At this point I'll add the reserved juices from the meat and half a bottle of wine with the colour corresponding to whether I've cooked red or white meat. I like to add a decent amount of brandy too. It generally needs a while after this to boil off the alcohol and reduce. I like to squeeze in a lemon if I'm making gravy for white meat or something sweet like red currant jelly for red meat.

Also I add msg because I add it to all sauces/gravies

Can I come eat at your house?

Your Richie Rich gravy makes mine sound like friggin Oliver Twist. I like to cook some garlic, s+p, and some herbs in the fat (based on what stock I use and what the meat was cooked with--I like to use my own which I don't salt or season much), make the roux, then add stock and drippings and tune the seasoning as needed.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Skipping turkey this year, and just smoking a pork butt, and potentially a ham if we can find one without water added :argh: If not, I guess we'll just glaze a spiral ham in the oven while the pork smokes.

Got some yeast rolls in the fridge taking a trip to flavortown. Pre-made some pie dough to bake the day before for blueberry and pecan (PUH-CON) pies. Might try that hasselback gratin to go with some mashed sweet potatoes.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I’m a weirdo so I make turkey stock with bones and veg and then boil it down and thicken it using xanthan gum. I call the result Crystal Gravy. The theory is that the flavor’s not being diluted by flour but I haven’t done a side by side test. Also, dosing xanthan gum is a tight rope and risks turning into snot if you put too much in

Al Goreban Dallas
Dec 9, 2017

So I’m doing a turkey roulade as well as a deep fried turkey for Thursday. Anyone see any issue with using the deep frier on the roulade after the turkey is done? Kenji’s recipe doesn’t fully submerge it and I don’t want the interior to become super oily if it gets in.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

BonerGhost posted:

Can I come eat at your house?

Your Richie Rich gravy makes mine sound like friggin Oliver Twist. I like to cook some garlic, s+p, and some herbs in the fat (based on what stock I use and what the meat was cooked with--I like to use my own which I don't salt or season much), make the roux, then add stock and drippings and tune the seasoning as needed.

This isn't that far off mine tbf. Just add some booze to it and give it time to cook off

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

I’m a weirdo so I make turkey stock with bones and veg and then boil it down and thicken it using xanthan gum. I call the result Crystal Gravy. The theory is that the flavor’s not being diluted by flour but I haven’t done a side by side test. Also, dosing xanthan gum is a tight rope and risks turning into snot if you put too much in

I was on a strict gluten free diet for several years, so I ate a lot of xanthan gum-thickened foods--I don't notice a difference in flavor between clear gravy and cloudy gravy, but we do a lot of eating with our eyes so :shrug:

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

Gravy wise usually would pick up some extra wings/backs before hand and make stock. Once everything was parted out for sous vide stuff I would roast off the carcus with mirepoix/basil/tart apples in dry white wine. Pull most everything deglaze with wine/cider/calvados, reduce and then start adding stock and reducing until I hate it and say I'm never making this stupid gravy again. Thicken it with a flour slurry, should probably make a roux or something instead but the original recipe didn't use one and I forget until I'm in the thick of it.

Al Goreban Dallas posted:

So I’m doing a turkey roulade as well as a deep fried turkey for Thursday. Anyone see any issue with using the deep frier on the roulade after the turkey is done? Kenji’s recipe doesn’t fully submerge it and I don’t want the interior to become super oily if it gets in.

I completely submerge the turchetta and it comes out great. It's already cooked at that point so might be slightly different if you're doing the roulade from raw but don't imagine it would get any more oily if tightly rolled/trussed.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING
I'm on turkey duty for my family Thanksgiving for the last few years and I swear every year they find a bigger damned bird. I'm planning to spatchcock the turkey this year because I was thrilled with the results last time, but it's literally a 24.5lb turkey. Kenji's recipe says he starts checking temperatures 75 minutes into cooking his 12lb spatchcocked bird. How the hell long should I expect this Godzilla of a turkey is going to take me?

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Jesus Christ. At least a week.

Al Goreban Dallas
Dec 9, 2017

biggfoo posted:

Gravy wise usually would pick up some extra wings/backs before hand and make stock. Once everything was parted out for sous vide stuff I would roast off the carcus with mirepoix/basil/tart apples in dry white wine. Pull most everything deglaze with wine/cider/calvados, reduce and then start adding stock and reducing until I hate it and say I'm never making this stupid gravy again. Thicken it with a flour slurry, should probably make a roux or something instead but the original recipe didn't use one and I forget until I'm in the thick of it.

I completely submerge the turchetta and it comes out great. It's already cooked at that point so might be slightly different if you're doing the roulade from raw but don't imagine it would get any more oily if tightly rolled/trussed.

It’s going to be cooked sous vide at that point, so that’s good to know.

I’m probably going to attempt a gravy along those lines as well. Shouldn’t be an issue making that the day before right?

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

Last year made pretty much everything one or two days before so the day of was pretty much just reheating, baking bread and frying. I'd say just be gentle with the reheating. Everything was good and made it a lot less stressful.

Side bonus also is trash day here is mid week and didn't have to make room in fridge/freezer for carcus etc.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Yeah, that’s... a lot of meat

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
I’ve got a plan. Going to prep all my dishes the night before. I’m following Gordon Ramsay’s turkey instructions so it will be resting for two hours before serving. That’s plenty of time to pop a few things in the oven and make the mashed potatoes and gravy (I hope). I’m pretty excited, I like cooking and this will be the most people I’ve cooked for.

augias
Apr 7, 2009

Thanks thread + op. Had brine bags ready and was calculating what bucket to use n poo poo and after reading, I will be doing the herb butter and spatchcock thing on this wee 10lb turkey.

Now i can better utilize all thishomemade chicken stock on gravy.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I'm going to make the gravy from serious eats with my spatchcocked turkey.

Question: The turkey is dry bringing today and I've removed the neck and back. Can I make the stock/gravy today? The recipe says to add the drippings from the roast back in at the end, so that's the one part I won't be able to do until tomorrow.

It basically has me doing everything for the broth, then adding a roux into it, and then putting the drippings in a fat separator before adding to the broth/roux mix. I'd like to make the broth/roux today and then put it in the refrigerator until tomorrow, when I can bring it back up to a simmer to warm it, and add in the drippings to serve.

nwin fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Nov 21, 2018

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

It's baking day!

I have challah on the rise, and am running out to get some more cranberries. What are y'all doing today?

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001
Cleaned my fridge last night (which is itself an undertaking), then spatch'd the turkey and dry brined it. Made about 40 cups of chicken broth from the frozen bits I'd been saving in the freezer.

Today I do the rest of the food shopping, then tonight I'm making red wine cake, the gravy, cranberry sauce, and the pesto for bread salad. Oh, and taste-test the version of a cranberry champagne cocktail I have in my head to serve.

Tomorrow I should just have to cook the bird, make mashed potatoes and whip up the marscapone/whipped cream for the cake.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
So between yesterday and today I’ve made:
Sausage and sage stuffing
Roasted pumpkin seeds
Butternut squash pie
Pumpkin cheesecake bars
Cranberry salad

Tomorrow all I’ve got to do is prime rib and gravy. Question for y’all who have made the stuffing waffles. Is it worth it to go the extra mile since I have already made the stuffing?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Just mix in an egg if there isn’t already egg in your stuffing, bam, stuffing waffle mix

It’s awesome because the square holes hold gravy and maple syrup and you get massive amounts of crispy surface area

If you have a Waring iron, it’s 12-13 oz of mix per waffle

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

nwin posted:

I'm going to make the gravy from serious eats with my spatchcocked turkey.

Question: The turkey is dry bringing today and I've removed the neck and back. Can I make the stock/gravy today? The recipe says to add the drippings from the roast back in at the end, so that's the one part I won't be able to do until tomorrow.

It basically has me doing everything for the broth, then adding a roux into it, and then putting the drippings in a fat separator before adding to the broth/roux mix. I'd like to make the broth/roux today and then put it in the refrigerator until tomorrow, when I can bring it back up to a simmer to warm it, and add in the drippings to serve.

Should be fine. I'm doing the same thing in just a minute actually. Just taking a break from baking an apple pie and prepping some mac & cheese before I get started on the gravy.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

2am and I just killed the oven. 4 pumpkin pies and four dozen rolls done.

Rye with onion and caraway on top:

Challah:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

a 2 inch deep chocolate pecan pie

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

My contributions were a Chinese cauliflower and porchetta.

The skin was extremely crispy and spraying little flecks everywhere when cut.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

My Thanksgiving smoked chicken turned out loving amazing. Everybody raved about how it was the best chicken they’ve ever eaten.

I ended up making the Serious Eats cornbread sausage and oyster stuffing and it ruled. First time I’ve ever eaten cornbread stuffing and enjoyed it. I’m definitely making this recipe again, although next time I think I’ll omit the sausage and add in more oysters.

I was gonna make an apple crisp for dessert too, but I ran out of time so I’m making that tomorrow.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Every year I've been alive we've done a Polish Christmas so I figured I'd share my recipe for galumpkis.

Ingredients
2 tablespoons Olive Oil #1
2 teaspoons minced Garlic #1
28 ounces Crushed Tomatoes, Canned
8 ounces Tomato Sauce
14 ½ ounces Diced Tomatoes, Canned
⅛ teaspoons Red Pepper Flakes
2 tablespoons White Wine Vinegar
1 tablespoon Sugar
¼ teaspoons Salt #1
¼ teaspoons Black Pepper #1
2 tablespoons Olive oil #2
1 cup dice Onion, Yellow
2 teaspoons minced Garlic #2
2 tablespoons Tomato Paste
2 tablespoons Red Wine
2 tablespoons chop Parsley, Fresh
1 pound Ground Beef (ground veal is more traditional but whatever I think it's fine)
1 pound Ground Pork (or ground lamb it's up to you)
1 ½ cups cook White Rice, Long-Grain
¼ teaspoons Salt #2
¼ teaspoons Black Pepper #2
2 whole Cabbage
2 tablespoons Olive oil #3

1. Heat olive oil #1 in large saucepan over medium high heat. Add garlic #1 and sauté for 1 minute.
2. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes.
3. Stir in red pepper, white wine vinegar, and sugar. Simmer a few minutes until slightly thickened.
4. Season with salt #1 and pepper #1. Remove from heat and set aside.
5. Heat olive oil #2 in medium skillet. Sauté onions and minced garlic until soft.
6. Stir in tomato paste, red wine, parsley and 0.5 cups prepared sauce.
7. Remove from heat.
8. In a large bowl, combine meats (raw), onion and tomato mixture, and cooked rice. Season with salt #2 and pepper #2 and set aside.
9. Boil a large pot of salted water over high heat.
10. Remove cores and outer damaged leaves of cabbage. (Save outer leaves) Remove remaining leaves carefully.
11. Blanch leaves for 5 minutes.
12. Drain leaves and run under cold water.
13. Prepare baking pan by lining with reserved outer leaves.
14. Lay out blanched leaves and place about 0.5 cup filling in each, rolling up burrito style.
15. Place seam side down in baking pan.
16. Pour remaining sauce over rolls and fold in the cabbage leaf "blanket".
17. Drizzle with olive oil #3.
18. Bake at 350 for 1 hour or until meat is cooked through (may need to check internal temperature with meat thermometer).

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but gbs used to have a cooking/crafts as gifts thread every year. Anyone got anything good to shove in a basket for people I need to get gifts for?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Croatoan posted:

Every year I've been alive we've done a Polish Christmas so I figured I'd share my recipe for galumpkis.

Ingredients
2 tablespoons Olive Oil #1
2 teaspoons minced Garlic #1
28 ounces Crushed Tomatoes, Canned
8 ounces Tomato Sauce
14 ½ ounces Diced Tomatoes, Canned
⅛ teaspoons Red Pepper Flakes
2 tablespoons White Wine Vinegar
1 tablespoon Sugar
¼ teaspoons Salt #1
¼ teaspoons Black Pepper #1
2 tablespoons Olive oil #2
1 cup dice Onion, Yellow
2 teaspoons minced Garlic #2
2 tablespoons Tomato Paste
2 tablespoons Red Wine
2 tablespoons chop Parsley, Fresh
1 pound Ground Beef (ground veal is more traditional but whatever I think it's fine)
1 pound Ground Pork (or ground lamb it's up to you)
1 ½ cups cook White Rice, Long-Grain
¼ teaspoons Salt #2
¼ teaspoons Black Pepper #2
2 whole Cabbage
2 tablespoons Olive oil #3

1. Heat olive oil #1 in large saucepan over medium high heat. Add garlic #1 and sauté for 1 minute.
2. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes.
3. Stir in red pepper, white wine vinegar, and sugar. Simmer a few minutes until slightly thickened.
4. Season with salt #1 and pepper #1. Remove from heat and set aside.
5. Heat olive oil #2 in medium skillet. Sauté onions and minced garlic until soft.
6. Stir in tomato paste, red wine, parsley and 0.5 cups prepared sauce.
7. Remove from heat.
8. In a large bowl, combine meats (raw), onion and tomato mixture, and cooked rice. Season with salt #2 and pepper #2 and set aside.
9. Boil a large pot of salted water over high heat.
10. Remove cores and outer damaged leaves of cabbage. (Save outer leaves) Remove remaining leaves carefully.
11. Blanch leaves for 5 minutes.
12. Drain leaves and run under cold water.
13. Prepare baking pan by lining with reserved outer leaves.
14. Lay out blanched leaves and place about 0.5 cup filling in each, rolling up burrito style.
15. Place seam side down in baking pan.
16. Pour remaining sauce over rolls and fold in the cabbage leaf "blanket".
17. Drizzle with olive oil #3.
18. Bake at 350 for 1 hour or until meat is cooked through (may need to check internal temperature with meat thermometer).

You are a good person for posting this.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Serious eats doublecrust buttermilk pie, but I omitted the nutmeg and replaced it with 1.5 cups of dark chocolate chips melted with the butter

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Dec 25, 2018

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Made my first Soufflés today, they came out super good

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Sometimes sabering bottles goes wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Sometimes sabering bottles goes wrong

I don't think bottles meant to be sabered have the same style of lip as regular bottles, that way you just slide the blade along the neck and hit the cork.

E: or they're notched/scored