Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hi guys it's November and that means it's time to think about how much you hate the family you were unfortunately born into. It's also time to think about the delicious food you'll be cooking for the holidays!

I typically cook for 20-30 people each at one Thanksgiving and two Christmas meals, one for family and one for friends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aOTJWv2fe8

I usually do the turchetta, but last year I decided to cook a whole turkey using Kenji's baking steel method. The whole place got too hot from the long ovening so I think I'm back to deep frying the turkey. Also, having chafing dishes indoors was a bad idea!

Turchetta (Kenji)

Stuffing Waffles (Kenji)

Hasselback potato gratin (Kenji)

Roasted Brussel sprouts (Ina Garten)

48 hour sous vide ribs (Momofuku)

We can use this thread to share ideas and ask for suggestions on what to make and how to make it.

IDEAS FOR THANKSGIVING DINNER:

TURKEY IDEAS
- Sous vide and deep fried turchetta (Kenji)
- Spatchcock herb butter turkey (Kenji)
- Baking steel turkey (if no baking steel, use a baking stone or cast iron griddle) (Kenji)
- Smoked bbq turkey (Meathead)

SECOND MEAT IDEAS
Maple-glazed ham (Kenji)
48 hour sous vide ribs (Momofuku)48 Hour Sous vide ribs[/url]
Salmon Sous Vide Mi-Cuit (Chefsteps)

POTATO IDEAS
- Hasselback potato gratin (Kenji)
- Buttery mashed potato, 3:1 potato:butter ratio (Chef John)
- If you wanna go nuts with the butter, go with Robuchon's 2:1 ratio
- Mashed yellow turnips, yes I know it's not potato but it plays the part (Ina Garten)

OTHER THINGS TO CONSIDER:
- You need you a gravy
YOU NEED YOU SOME "VEGETABLES"
- Sweet potato casserole or mash, or candied yams
- Green bean casserole
- Ratatouille
- Brussel sprouts
- Salad
- Corn
- Cranberry sauce
YOU NEED YOU SOME CARBS:
- Stuffing
- Risotto
- Rolls or bread
- Macaroni and cheese or macaroni salad
- Cornbread
YOU NEED YOU SOME DRINKS:
- Eggnog
- Mulled wine
- Hot chocolate
YOU NEED YOU SOME DESSERT:
- Pumpkin pie
- Pecan pie

My question for this year: I wanna do something different this year for the secondary meat, but it sounds like people still want a ham. Is a whole Smithfield country ham something that could work in a Thanksgiving dinner?

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Nov 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I think a ham could absolutely work, although I see it as more traditionally a Christmas/Easter thing than Thanksgiving.

Also, rolls: Just make challah. Shape it however you like, but trust me on this one, there is no superior bread to go with a big savory meal.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I'm asking about country ham specifically (the extra long cured stuff), wondering if it's too salty as part of a Thanksgiving dinner or not

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

My god, it's full of :jeb:!
Not doing anything for Thanksgiving this year due to family drama but just wanted to shout out of you have the stuff to do it sousvide/deep fried turchetta is amazing. It is always a hit when I've made it and probably my favorite preparation of white meat for turkey. Makes great sandwhiches if any is left over too. Usually do that and then the confit turkey leg/thighs from modernist cusine at home. Back/wings etc go into gravy/stock stuff.

As for a country ham depending on the type it could work just warn people that it is a lot saltier than normal ham if they are serving themselves so they don't end up taking a thick cuts. I've only used the extra cured style that is like prosciutto and used it like that in apps/breakfast etc and not a main.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Also, it's NOG TIME

If you make a nog right now, it might be good in time for Thanksgiving!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3869227

The photo of the 2012 nog jar in this thread is from my fridge!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

https://twitter.com/dril/status/1061030072163872768?s=21

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I need to figure out a dish to bring to Thanksgiving this year. Last year was a fairly simple mashed potatoes dish with half of a pepper grinder's worth of pepper dropped in after the lid fell off.

Already taken:
Turkey
Mashed potatoes
Gravy
Chicken and dumplings
Pumpkin pies
Cousin is making corn and rolls

Obviously this is all basic poo poo. We're in the Midwest and half the family is old and set in their ways. I'm no wizard in the kitchen but I can follow recipes and make something decent.

Any suggestions for side dishes that don't require 12 hours of prep and expensive ingredients? They don't have to be complicated but if it's something basic with a twist or extra flavor profile, that's great!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Roasted brussel sprouts. I’m 90% sure your family will say eww and then get surprised by how good they taste salted oiled and roasted because they grew up on brussel sprouts that were boiled to death and sulfury

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Steve Yun posted:

Roasted brussel sprouts. I’m 90% sure your family will say eww and then get surprised by how good they taste salted oiled and roasted because they grew up on brussel sprouts that were boiled to death and sulfury

Grilled brussels sprouts are fuckin good too.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I need to figure out a dish to bring to Thanksgiving this year. Last year was a fairly simple mashed potatoes dish with half of a pepper grinder's worth of pepper dropped in after the lid fell off.

Already taken:
Turkey
Mashed potatoes
Gravy
Chicken and dumplings
Pumpkin pies
Cousin is making corn and rolls

Obviously this is all basic poo poo. We're in the Midwest and half the family is old and set in their ways. I'm no wizard in the kitchen but I can follow recipes and make something decent.

Any suggestions for side dishes that don't require 12 hours of prep and expensive ingredients? They don't have to be complicated but if it's something basic with a twist or extra flavor profile, that's great!

Your list doesn’t have stuffing on it. Maybe that might be an option?

If you have a grill, smoked stuffing is a thing you can do that’s supposedly interesting. I plan to try that this year. Add some sausage, oysters, or crabmeat for extra awesome.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Perfect Prime Rib Recipe
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2009/12/perfect-prime-rib-beef-recipe.html

Classic Sage and Sausage Stuffing (Dressing) Recipe
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/11/classic-sage-and-sausage-stuffing-or-dressing-recipe.html

Butternut Squash Pie (better than pumpkin I swear)
1-1/4 cups sugar
4-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
3 cups mashed cooked butternut squash
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 eggs
1/4 cup water
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
Whipped cream, optional
Directions
Line a 9-in. pie plate with pastry
place on a baking sheet and set aside.
In a large bowl, combine the sugar, cornstarch and cinnamon. Beat in
the squash, butter, eggs, water and vanilla until smooth. Pour into
crust.
Cover edges loosely with foil. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes.
Remove foil. Bake 35-40 minutes longer or until a knife inserted
near the center comes out clean. or until golden brown.
Cool pie on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate pie until
chilled. Garnish with whipped cream if desired.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Nov 22, 2018

Al Goreban Dallas
Dec 9, 2017

What the waffle ironed stuffing looking thing in the OP?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Al Goreban Dallas posted:

What the waffle ironed stuffing looking thing in the OP?

Stuffing waffles

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/11/stuffing-waffles-recipe.html

You can also do other things like cornbread waffles, hashbrown waffles, falafel waffles, etc

Waffle irons are great

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

These are all great ideas and I'll certainly have some thinking to do!

Keep em comin', not like this thread has a lot of traffic :v:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Settled plans with mom, I am bringing my traditional cranberry orange jello salad, and 'a few' rolls.

She always forgets who she's talking to when it comes to baking. :gritin:

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

For a 13 pound turkey that’s in the freezer, how many days before thanksgiving should I put it in the fridge? I plan on spatchcocking it with kenjis recipe.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

nwin posted:

For a 13 pound turkey that’s in the freezer, how many days before thanksgiving should I put it in the fridge? I plan on spatchcocking it with kenjis recipe.

Allow at least 1 day of thawing for every 4 lbs.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Hey I need a better looking casserole dish than the basic rear end Corning Ware and Pyrex ones I have, is there any significant difference in materials between Corning Ware vs Pyrex vs "stoneware"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I gotta do a turkey this year. I'm looking at recipes online, and they're all at least slightly different and some of them seem extremely suspicious, like the first google result tell me to pour champagne over the turkey. So what's the best turkey recipe?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Serious Eats is a pretty safe bet as your first search for almost any recipe.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/topics/ingredient/meats-and-poultry/turkey

I'd go with one of the spatchcocked ones if this is your first time. It cuts down on cook time, heat and gives some insurance against dry breast

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 14, 2018

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Steve Yun posted:

Serious Eats is a pretty safe bet as your first search for almost any recipe.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/topics/ingredient/meats-and-poultry/turkey

I'd go with one of the spatchcocked ones if this is your first time. It cuts down on cook time, heat and gives some insurance against dry breast

Cool, thanks. I think I'll do Alton Brown's recipe. It seems simple and if people ask how I cooked it I can say "I followed Alton Brown's recipe" and they'll say "oh yeah, he's good". Whereas if I have to say I spatchcocked it they'll all assume I chose to do that only because of the amusing term.

Sweet Custom Van
Jan 9, 2012

BraveUlysses posted:

Hey I need a better looking casserole dish than the basic rear end Corning Ware and Pyrex ones I have, is there any significant difference in materials between Corning Ware vs Pyrex vs "stoneware"

Depending on the brand/type, yes. Some stoneware is unsealed, meaning the interior of the dish is not glazed. This matters when you clean it, because the material is very porous and you can’t use soap. You need a funny little plastic scraping tool to get all the food out, and then after you wash it it has to be dried out thoroughly before next use.*

*i have never owned stoneware personally. All the above was gleaned from a vey loud “conversation “ my sister in law had with my sister, who had cleaned it wrong, perhaps by using soap. If it’s glazed inside, I assume it’s totally normal cleaning-wise.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Is a dutch oven a casserole dish?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Depends how desperate you are

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

This is the first time I’ve done a thanksgiving for more people than just my wife and I. It’s only going to be 5-6 people, but we’re trying to see what we can make the night before or the morning of so that the oven isn’t trying to be used for everything at the same time.

Our list:

13 lb Spatchcock turkey
Mashed potatoes
Stuffing
Green bean casserole
Butternut squash

Any suggestions? The stuffing is just stove top so that can be made 5 minutes before hand if needed. Not sure how long I’ll need to rest the turkey but I could probably finish the mashed potatoes in that time?

I’ve never done the casserole before but my sister in law requested it and will probably be the only one eating it-can I just make that the night before?

nwin fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Nov 15, 2018

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

nwin posted:

Any suggestions? The stuffing is just stove top so that can be made 5 minutes before hand if needed.

Don't phone it in. This is really easy and super good. It's usually a crowd favorite.
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/11/classic-sage-and-sausage-stuffing-or-dressing-recipe.html

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Croatoan posted:

Don't phone it in. This is really easy and super good. It's usually a crowd favorite.

I made that last year for a Friendsgiving and it is really good, but everyone coming prefers Stovetop. If I make the Serious Eats stuffing, I'll be the only one eating it.

They also like jarred gravy, but I told them I'm just not buying that and making my own-they don't have to eat it if they don't want it.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

nwin posted:

This is the first time I’ve done a thanksgiving for more people than just my wife and I. It’s only going to be 5-6 people, but we’re trying to see what we can make the night before or the morning of so that the oven isn’t trying to be used for everything at the same time.

Our list:

Spatchcock turkey
Mashed potatoes
Stuffing
Green bean casserole
Butternut squash

Any suggestions? The stuffing is just stove top so that can be made 5 minutes before hand if needed. Not sure how long I’ll need to rest the turkey but I could probably finish the mashed potatoes in that time?

I’ve never done the casserole before but my sister in law requested it and will probably be the only one eating it-can I just make that the night before?

I do a 14-16 lb spatchcock every year, and it's the first thing out of the oven, so it rests for an hour+. It's still hot when I carve it. Just make sure to tent it with foil. Turkeys, even spatchcocked ones, stay hot for an amazing amount of time. I bake my stuffing, sweet potatoes and corn casserole (together) while it's resting.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I do a 14-16 lb spatchcock every year, and it's the first thing out of the oven, so it rests for an hour+. It's still hot when I carve it. Just make sure to tent it with foil. Turkeys, even spatchcocked ones, stay hot for an amazing amount of time. I bake my stuffing, sweet potatoes and corn casserole (together) while it's resting.

That's good to know-mine is a 13 pound turkey, so it sounds like if all the prep work is done in advance of pulling the turkey out, I should be able to get everything else baked and ready within that time window. Thanks!

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Here's a great pumpkin pie that will blow everyone's minds by not tasting like the can recipe they've eaten thousands of times

It won't crowd a pecan pie at all so don't worry about that. Also just jiggle it, don't stick a knife in it, because it might want to crack and you shouldn't encourage it.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Nov 16, 2018

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
I recognize that format but I can’t remember which book it is - is it Marcus Samuelson?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

I recognize that format but I can’t remember which book it is - is it Marcus Samuelson?

It was a williams sonoma dessert book, but not mine so I can't tell you much more

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Ah, interesting. If I remember correctly, his Aquavit cookbook looks VERY similar.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Whoa whoa what’s this about an aquavit cookbook

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
For his restaurant called Aquavit, not for the booze. Sorry if I got your hopes up!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

I guess I found my Christmas ham.

Serve at room temp, right? And these things are cured so they’re safe all day at room temp?

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Those are at my Costco too; I've been hemming and hawing about whether to get one or not. Same goes for the whole frozen lambs. Very nice, but also a bit :homebrew: since I'm also paying for college.

Also: I have four pumpkins to use; I got them just before Halloween and didn't carve/decorate them. Obviously the two pie pumpkins can be used for pie/standard eatin' squash; but what options do I have with the jack o'lanterns? Soup?

Meaty Ore fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Nov 18, 2018

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Steve Yun posted:

I guess I found my Christmas ham.

Serve at room temp, right? And these things are cured so they’re safe all day at room temp?

How would you serve that? Like a charcuterie board or like a spiral ham?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Jack o lantern pumpkins are bland, I’d just toss them or find something non-food related to do with them. If you have to use them for food, dope them up with sugar and spices

Also get someone(s) to split the Serrano with you

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

nwin posted:

How would you serve that? Like a charcuterie board or like a spiral ham?

I think you slice off thin sheets on a gondola like one of them high falutin Europeans

The Costco one is a mini Serrano and comes with a mini gondola

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Nov 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I want to make a Thanksgiving confession. My family always had jellied cranberry sauce for Thanksgiving and as a child I thought that poo poo was disgusting. It took me until 40 years of age to try a cranberry salad and holy crap that stuff was delicious.