Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

My god, it's full of :jeb:!
Not doing anything for Thanksgiving this year due to family drama but just wanted to shout out of you have the stuff to do it sousvide/deep fried turchetta is amazing. It is always a hit when I've made it and probably my favorite preparation of white meat for turkey. Makes great sandwhiches if any is left over too. Usually do that and then the confit turkey leg/thighs from modernist cusine at home. Back/wings etc go into gravy/stock stuff.

As for a country ham depending on the type it could work just warn people that it is a lot saltier than normal ham if they are serving themselves so they don't end up taking a thick cuts. I've only used the extra cured style that is like prosciutto and used it like that in apps/breakfast etc and not a main.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

I tend to make stuff the day before or so and then just reheat them all in the already hot oven while the turkey rests. Won't have to worry about something not coming out right or having to mess with different temps for different dishes if you don't have multiple ovens. Also some stuff just tastes better the next day after it has time to sit together after being cooked.

Less stress and more time to focus on guests and anything you are doing day of on the stove top.

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

Gravy wise usually would pick up some extra wings/backs before hand and make stock. Once everything was parted out for sous vide stuff I would roast off the carcus with mirepoix/basil/tart apples in dry white wine. Pull most everything deglaze with wine/cider/calvados, reduce and then start adding stock and reducing until I hate it and say I'm never making this stupid gravy again. Thicken it with a flour slurry, should probably make a roux or something instead but the original recipe didn't use one and I forget until I'm in the thick of it.

Al Goreban Dallas posted:

So I’m doing a turkey roulade as well as a deep fried turkey for Thursday. Anyone see any issue with using the deep frier on the roulade after the turkey is done? Kenji’s recipe doesn’t fully submerge it and I don’t want the interior to become super oily if it gets in.

I completely submerge the turchetta and it comes out great. It's already cooked at that point so might be slightly different if you're doing the roulade from raw but don't imagine it would get any more oily if tightly rolled/trussed.

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

Last year made pretty much everything one or two days before so the day of was pretty much just reheating, baking bread and frying. I'd say just be gentle with the reheating. Everything was good and made it a lot less stressful.

Side bonus also is trash day here is mid week and didn't have to make room in fridge/freezer for carcus etc.