Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Arizona and Montana Senate races are looking extremely good, as is Colorado. Virginia is basically no longer a swing state. Georgia currently has Trump polling within MoE, South Carolina shows Graham in a tie.

There's a lot of time for things to change, but if the election was held today, I'd place a bet on Dems taking the Senate and Trump losing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

u brexit ukip it posted:

Did you register in the end?

No. I need my stupid postal job. I would have to erase at least ninety percent of the state's population from existence to stand a chance as a left-wing candidate. I like fantasizing about it, but I don't have the money, connections, or ambition to be even a candidate for state house representative.

Yana Ludwig has the backing of the Wyoming DSA chapters for the Senate and I hope she's the candidate for the general because all Gary Trauner has done is barely lose to Barbara Cubin in 2006, have Cynthia Lummis tell him that he's not really from Wyoming even though he had been living in Wyoming for about twenty years in the 2008 debate, and lose some more.

I want to put some cash into Yana's campaign, but I feel like all I'm going to do is watch her lose to whoever wins the Republican nomination for Mike Enzi's seat.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Star Man posted:

No. I need my stupid postal job. I would have to erase at least ninety percent of the state's population from existence to stand a chance as a left-wing candidate.

Thats only like nine people though.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

So today is Maryland's primary. Voted by mail, here's hoping Maxwell Bero beats David Trone in my district

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Baby steps, but it looks like the MN DFL is contesting all except for a couple seats in November.

https://twitter.com/ActorAaronBooth/status/1267957541230858240

The replies note that the secretary of state website is slow, and it's possible that the DFL is contesting all seats.

eta: Minneapolis Public Schools also voted to end their contract with MPD

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

So did any GoodDems beat BadDems yesterday?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Mckayla Wilkes lost to Steny Hoyer. By a lot :(

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Moktaro posted:

So did any GoodDems beat BadDems yesterday?

Several in New Mexico, apparently.
https://nmpoliticalreport.com/2020/06/03/progressive-democrats-defeat-incumbents-with-some-races-still-pending/

My home area of Indiana is showing some Democratic strength coming back, trying to hold onto the Judge, County Clerk and such. The Judge is a good guy facing a "Law and Order" Republican. The Dem Judge is campaigning pretty well, all things considered. He's got "All Rise, Together!" signs up all over, and mustered a good number of votes in a largely uncontested primary. I'm just happy that people are willing to out themselves as Dems to run for office around here.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Happiness Commando posted:

Mckayla Wilkes was a long shot, but one worth putting the time and investment in imo. We got buggerred by the Pandemic though. The tools you needed to take on an entrenched incumbent were no longer there: no canvassing, no townhalls, no meet n greets.

GOTV really suffered and well...Southern MD has a REALLY checkered past with racism. I mean they did want to secede and there were signed "Coloreds Only" bathrooms in La Plata still in the late 70s and early 80s.

The silver lining is that the conversation pushed that district to the left and thats what you gotta do on these types of districts. Just keep fielding challenhes and getting folks tuned in to what could be better and it builds into a landslide.

The good news is that even with the low turnout there were a lot of progressive wins in other areas of the country so imma chalk this primary up as a win overall. You dont get everything you want in elections and sometimes ya just lose. Just gotta keep moving and keep putting in the work.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Happiness Commando posted:

Yeah this one really hurts, I thought she had the momentum and the support but Hoyer's entrenchment plus COVID I guess really threw a wrench or two into the race so it wasn't even close.

I do hope she continues to work towards getting into public office though, the country needs more people like her.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Grammarchist posted:

Several in New Mexico, apparently.
https://nmpoliticalreport.com/2020/06/03/progressive-democrats-defeat-incumbents-with-some-races-still-pending/

My home area of Indiana is showing some Democratic strength coming back, trying to hold onto the Judge, County Clerk and such. The Judge is a good guy facing a "Law and Order" Republican. The Dem Judge is campaigning pretty well, all things considered. He's got "All Rise, Together!" signs up all over, and mustered a good number of votes in a largely uncontested primary. I'm just happy that people are willing to out themselves as Dems to run for office around here.

Super glad that there was some good news in New Mexico. The Democratic primary for the open Congressional seat in the 3rd district did not go well. The winner is now wholly owned by secret PAC money.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Steve King lost his primary by like 10% so :toot:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

theflyingorc posted:

Arizona and Montana Senate races are looking extremely good, as is Colorado. Virginia is basically no longer a swing state. Georgia currently has Trump polling within MoE, South Carolina shows Graham in a tie.

There's a lot of time for things to change, but if the election was held today, I'd place a bet on Dems taking the Senate and Trump losing.

iirc the bolded is a single internal poll released by graham's challenger that has like 20% "undecided", and nobody should bet on that race being seriously competitive based on that

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

David Perdue's senate seat in Georgia is up. I'm leaning between John Ossoff or Teresa Pike Tomlinson.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

evilweasel posted:

iirc the bolded is a single internal poll released by graham's challenger that has like 20% "undecided", and nobody should bet on that race being seriously competitive based on that

I believe a later one came out that there was some reason to believe was closer?

I don't believe he's going to win, but I do believe that how close the numbers are is a very good sign

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

theflyingorc posted:

I believe a later one came out that there was some reason to believe was closer?

I don't believe he's going to win, but I do believe that how close the numbers are is a very good sign

you're right, there was a new one which doesn't appear to be an internal, and was a tie: https://civiqs.com/documents/Civiqs_DailyKos_SC_banner_book_2020_05_b68sg1x.pdf

that said, the new one was 42-42 tie which suggests they really didn't make any effort to pressure leaners, so given the lean of south carolina i think it's fair to say that's not actually a tie and graham is probably significantly ahead

for comparison, the trump v. biden race in the same poll was 52-42, so graham's challenger doesn't appear to be polling ahead of biden (who will not win south carolina no matter what) it's just graham's support is a little softer

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Oracle posted:

Steve King lost his primary by like 10% so :toot:

He lost it to someone who thinks he didn't go right enough so I wouldn't really count this as a win

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

mandatory lesbian posted:

He lost it to someone who thinks he didn't go right enough so I wouldn't really count this as a win

That's not really an accurate description.

His opponent said "he literally can't do anything for you because he lost all his committee assignments because of how racist he is"

It wasn't a "who is more conservative" competition, he lost because they knew he was a national embarrassment. Take the W.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

theflyingorc posted:

That's not really an accurate description.

His opponent said "he literally can't do anything for you because he lost all his committee assignments because of how racist he is"

It wasn't a "who is more conservative" competition, he lost because they knew he was a national embarrassment. Take the W.

yeah his opponent finagled it a bit because it's steven king's district, it's full of racists

but the core reason he lost was steven king was too racist even for the trump-era republican party, so the republican party froze him out until he lost. it's not sunshine and roses but hey, it's better than a stick in the eye

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
That's a historically really successful primary attack on incumbents who've become embroiled in national controversy or establishment politicking. People really hate it when their representative seems to care more about abstract Washington things than their district.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
I'm not even sure it was abstract Washington things. I remember a big line of attack on him was that he was in France hanging out with a bunch of eurotrash rather than doing anything for his district.

Anyway, congrats to Iowa's newest white-nationalist rep.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Ego-bot posted:

I'm not even sure it was abstract Washington things. I remember a big line of attack on him was that he was in France hanging out with a bunch of eurotrash rather than doing anything for his district.

Anyway, congrats to Iowa's newest white-nationalist rep.
I'm so glad Iowa's no longer the first election primary/caucus.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Holy poo poo, I forgot all about that. In my defense it was 12 years ago.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

https://twitter.com/Booker4KY/status/1269102605764042754?s=19

Goojg to guess Broiher's dropping out and endorsing him since the Progressive vote's consolidating behind Booker pretty clearly

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/psullivan1/status/1274419462117228546?s=19

Nice. Been pushing the city council on this for a while. The COVID Reopen protests in Michigan pushed us over the edge on this one I'm thinkin

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

How's Minneapolis doing two weeks after disbanding it's police?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Grouchio posted:

they didn't

they held a vote indicating city council's non-binding desire to disband the police. Following through requires the slow, painful process of writing legislation and a popular referendum to modify the city charter to eliminate the obligation to fund the police at a certain level

they've started the legislative crafting last I heard

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Grouchio posted:

They haven't disbanded it yet. There's no concrete plan to do so yet, just a promise from a veto-proof supermajority of the city council. It's probably going to take a couple years.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Grouchio posted:

Nothing has actually changed yet. The city counsel voted it's intent to disband/defund the police, not to dissolve them immediately.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

friendbot2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/psullivan1/status/1274419462117228546?s=19

Nice. Been pushing the city council on this for a while. The COVID Reopen protests in Michigan pushed us over the edge on this one I'm thinkin

Just a little more on this. Alexandria isnt...the biggest city? And they have a lot of municipal property so as of July, guns are banned it totality on about 8-10 percent of the city and that includes parks, the waterfront, all the historical sites...oh boy that makes me happy

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

friendbot2000 posted:

Just a little more on this. Alexandria isnt...the biggest city? And they have a lot of municipal property so as of July, guns are banned it totality on about 8-10 percent of the city and that includes parks, the waterfront, all the historical sites...oh boy that makes me happy

It's also a decent draw for Trump-era Chud Tourism in the DC area since it's accessible by Metro, near enough to Mount Vernon to be a good stop on the tour-bus-of-boomers circuit, and very white in the touristy bits!

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Quorum posted:

It's also a decent draw for Trump-era Chud Tourism in the DC area since it's accessible by Metro, near enough to Mount Vernon to be a good stop on the tour-bus-of-boomers circuit, and very white in the touristy bits!

Mount Vernon....my wife and I went two years ago for a day trip and its the only time in the DC region I was surrounded by MAGA hats.

That said, going to the slavery memorial section of mount vernon was the best way to avoid them! I wonder why they weren’t visiting that part. :shrug:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Besides the vital McGrath vs Booker primary tomorrow, are there any other senate primaries to look out for June and July?

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Hickenlooper/Romanoff in Colorado on 6/30 is generating the most :siren:Dems in disarray:siren: chatter currently.

Maine has Gideon vs Sweet, which sees the DSCC/NARAL butting heads with Justice Dems and Brand New Congress. Sweet is the only Justice Dems Senate endorsement this cycle.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Virginia has some sacrificial lightweight GOPers who will lose to Mark Warner in November.

On the House side I think the most interesting will be the VA-02 GOP primary which is where Scott Taylor will *probably* win. He’s trying to win his old seat back from Elaine Luria so that’s gonna be one to watch down the line.

Expect whoever to win to go whole hog for Trump, who won the district by 3 points in 2016.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Ballz posted:

Virginia has some sacrificial lightweight GOPers who will lose to Mark Warner in November.
I'm assuming Warner doesn't have any progressive challenger(s)? With the leftward movement in VA, it would be great to be able to boot one of the senators out, cause they both mostly suck. I realize it may be too soon for that to happen though.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Grouchio posted:

Besides the vital McGrath vs Booker primary tomorrow, are there any other senate primaries to look out for June and July?

Weird to treat a thing where both candidates are really likely to lose as "vital"

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Zero_Grade posted:

I'm assuming Warner doesn't have any progressive challenger(s)? With the leftward movement in VA, it would be great to be able to boot one of the senators out, cause they both mostly suck. I realize it may be too soon for that to happen though.

Nope, uncontested. Maybe next time he’s up there’ll be a solid progressive challenger to come out of the General Assembly.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/realDrWinnie/status/1272524100481748996?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Winnie da poo poo.