Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

So he predicted the Netflix series then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

it's anzac day in australia (pro-war brainwashing day celebrating the troops attempting to invade turkey and getting their asses handed to them) and some brain genius had a great idea
i tried to get charlie to talk about ghosts, but he went "as a chatbot i can't see or sense ghosts" and then just kept saying "i can only answer questions about ww1. do you have a question about ww1?" until i gave up. trash

mahershalalhashbaz fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 25, 2024

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Are people more positive about Gallipoli these days then? I thought the take was “Churchill’s bright idea got a bunch of us killed for nothing” but that might have faded with time.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

Pirate Radar posted:

Are people more positive about Gallipoli these days then? I thought the take was “Churchill’s bright idea got a bunch of us killed for nothing” but that might have faded with time.
awareness that gallipoli was a massive military failure is patchy. my rural elementary school treated it like a day of pride and glory for the nation, i didn't find out it was actually a clusterfuck until i was an adult. the powers that be still push the pride-and-glory aspect pretty hard and it's getting worse, the last thing they want is the kids thinking that getting fed into a meat grinder to satisfy a pack of incompetent british psychopaths is a bad thing.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Pirate Radar posted:

it made a pretty good movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Pirate Radar posted:

It's pretty common for disastrous military failures to get retconned into heroic character-building moments. That way, the people responsible for the failure can draw attention away from their own responsibility, and the victims can avoid directly acknowledging just how much suffering they'd been subjected to for no good reason.

Gallipoli was a military failure, but Australia (which had only been recently unified into a single country) played it up as a source of national identity. In the mouths of the propagandists, the horrible failure of the Gallipoli campaign became the tale of the heroic ANZACs charging into a hail of enemy bullets, bravely and selflessly laying down their lives in the face of an insurmountable challenge, their useless deaths demonstrating to the world just how incredible and amazing the Aussie spirit was.