Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
proposal: a group of posters who became social democrats in 2017 create a spinoff website for the politics fyadlite so they can make themselves mods

reality: 2 of them get outed as sex pests within like 6 months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

exmarx posted:

proposal: a group of posters who became social democrats in 2017 create a spinoff website for the politics fyadlite so they can make themselves mods

reality: 2 of them get outed as sex pests within like 6 months

There is a reason we are called goons, none of us are good people

some worse than others

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Big Hubris posted:

About? That poo poo started under President House Negro.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

loving :lol: that this earned 3 days and an extremely stern "Don't do that"

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

have advertising folks figured out how to make ads in this new epoch? that saccharine "we stand together" poo poo i've been hearing seems uninspired

https://twitter.com/Google/status/1276576626856259585?s=20

I liked this one. Other than that, no. But the comedy of seeing gushers and fruit roll ups come out for BLM almost makes the material/spiritual rot brought on by capitalism worth it

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
It's now two weeks! "Progress"

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

ive got 2 cats and a girlfriend to keep me company. the bay area is nice and like living in an unlit powder keg. love my incompetent govt!!!!!

still working that evil ad life remotely, very glad i moved inhouse! bosses drink openly on calls, but im giving a go at cutting out liquor. its a weird magical time.

i wish i were in london. better food, more black ppl

The bay area is nice but sort of horrifying at the same time. Like it's nice...to look at, but the people seem kind of suspect to me. And the loving property market terrifies me.

I've been cutting back the booze too steadily over the last 5 years. I sometimes think about quitting but I think it's good to keep the social option ofg going for a beer open.

I'm here for a bit longer. I'm probably gonna move to Japan within the next 12 months, rona permitting, and I'm working out what job to take and where to live. So that's sort of exciting but there's a lot of life logistics poo poo I'm dreading.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Paracaidas posted:

loving :lol: that this earned 3 days and an extremely stern "Don't do that"

Bans aren't happening until the handover is finalized, apparently?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Disinterested posted:

The bay area is nice but sort of horrifying at the same time. Like it's nice...to look at, but the people seem kind of suspect to me. And the loving property market terrifies me.

i've lived in la my whole life, spent a lot of time downtown, even before it was gentrified

spent a lot time with family in chicago, on the south side and around the loop

traveled to new york a fair bit, mostly staying in the bronx

in all three cities combined i have never seen the amount of human feces as i did on the streets of san francisco

it's a city whos character i just do not understand

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i've lived in la my whole life, spent a lot of time downtown, even before it was gentrified

spent a lot time with family in chicago, on the south side and around the loop

traveled to new york a fair bit, mostly staying in the bronx

in all three cities combined i have never seen the amount of human feces as i did on the streets of san francisco

it's a city whos character i just do not understand

yeah there's really an incredible amount of unattended-to human suffering

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

wild drama llama posted:

i think i might just give them what they want until they get bored and find somebody else tbh

post thru it avs ur my hero

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

stone cold posted:

Long time no see

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
lol at the the milhist admin

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
copy pasting a shitpost in the gun forum mental health thread? that's a permaban

doing the 14 words to protect against the saracen hordes? bellissimo!

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

exmarx posted:

copy pasting a shitpost in the gun forum mental health thread? that's a permaban

what's this?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3931083

lol only just noticed that it was posted by dickeye's parachute account

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

really rough hot dog take in there

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

exmarx posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3931083

lol only just noticed that it was posted by dickeye's parachute account

Cyrano is way too lenient on open white supremacist bullshit in TFR though. Someone says some heinous poo poo, they get yelled at for a while, and Cyrano steps in with this "Hey let's stop arguing about politics in here" bullshit. That incident with PCOS Bill wasn't the first or last time he pulled that.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jul 2, 2020

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
it's fascinating to watch the qcs tide... mods basically choose the path that will get the most people to shut the gently caress up, which is what got fyad in the end

Cease to Hope posted:

Cyrano is way too lenient on open white supremacist bullshit in TFR though. Someone says some heinous poo poo, they get yelled at for a while, and Cyrano steps in with this "Hey let's stop arguing about politics in here" bullshit. That incident with PCOS Bill wasn't the first or last time he pulled that.

i looked around in there a while ago and saw posters sincerely reposting breitbart conspiracy theories about the nz gun buyback

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

I get wanting people to post a bit more effortfully but that ain't it

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
These are three consecutive posts in TFR:

COINCEL PRO posted:

Actually not a gimmick.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/oct/02/texas-detention-camp-swells-fivefold-with-migrant-children

Fun use of tax dollars. You might take offense at it being called a "concentration camp" but it doesn't change the abhorrent thing that it is.

Hasselblad posted:

There are not a small number of actual citizens in this country who literally live on the street, and would probably prefer what you just showed in the photo. Also, it is hard to take the "concentration camp" gimmick seriously when actual concentration camps were LITERALLY GASSING PEOPLE TO DEATH, STARVING THEM, PULLING OUT THEIR GOLD TEETH, COLLECTING THEIR SHOES, and INCINERATING THEIR BODIES. Oh, and the whole, not having a choice in the matter part of it.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Narrow things down to firearms related poo poo. There are tons of hosed up things in American politics that we could get into, but this isn't the forum or thread for an over-arching referendum on the US political scene.

He clearly saw it, because his response is:

Cyrano4747 posted:

Jesus loving christ dude.

Then a few posts later:

Cyrano4747 posted:

I really need to just make myself an alt to do posting with, because poo poo like this is where it interferes with modding. In particular I don't like the appearance of shutting down a conversation because I disagree with the opinions of some people in it. Silencing someone who disagrees with you because you wear the blue star and get to do that is lovely.

Clearly I don't think that simply being a conservative makes you a white supremacist. Furthermore, I am of the opinion that making blanket accusations like that only damages the causes that people are trying to push forward because it makes a lot of people who might otherwise be amenable to your message tune out and ignore you. I'm not saying that to rekindle that discussion, but to put it out there so no one thinks I"m trying to sweep anything under the rug.

Getting into the "conservatives are racists" "no they aren't" "yes they are" spiral just creates the kind of never ending, increasingly acrimonious political bullshit that the no-politics rule normally short circuits. The problem we're faced with here is that we've reached a point where it is impossible to talk about a recent shooting without getting into politics because the shooter had explicitly political goals as outlined in a political manifesto.

So. How do we go about discussing the fact that a white nationalist in New Zealand, drawing on the broader white nationalist movement online which in turn is heavily plugged into American politics, murdered 49 people without ending up arguing over whether Hillary Clinton or Mitch McConnell is worse?

I don't have a good answer for that. This is a really hosed up situation. It's not like it would help for me to just gas this thread and kill the topic. The simple fact is that there are significant chunks of the gun community that are toxic as living gently caress. You don't see many bike part companies adopting SS insignia for their corporate logo. Recognizing this and trying to be better than it is deep in TFR's DNA. I remember threads roundly mocking poo poo like the Arfcom "safari" threads well over a decade and a half ago.

The NRA is a prime example of this. For all that we can talk about their judicial arm being useful they've gone balls deep on some of the most alarmist messaging possible. When it comes to things like NRA.tv they push right over into the sort of language utilized by some really, really lovely groups.

I've been thinking this over for a few hours now and what I keep coming back to is that "All ____ are _____ " arguments just aren't helpful. Right now it's the "All conservatives are white supremacists" argument. I"m not going to try to come up with some hypothetical reverse version of that, but I'm sure they're out there. This is what brings me back around to the bit I have up there about how mixing modding and posting gets messy and bad. I love this place, I mod it because I like posting here, but in this case it's a bad look. My apologies, I hope you all can understand my reasoning outside of that.

Why is that line of thinking bad? Well, for the purposes of this board because it shuts down conversation. It's a rhetorical ultimatum that basically says you either agree with what I'm saying, or you're a terrible person who I don't need to respect. Everyone involved understands this, and its why people react so strongly to it. It's why we had to get way out in front to specify from the beginning that neo-nazi and conservative are two different things. This isn't helped by the current state of discourse in the world where it's hard to separate the morality of actions from their impact. When you say that a person did a racist thing, for example, the implicit understanding is that they are a racist person and, as such, are beyond redemption. This is why topics like innate racial bias get so fraught. We can sit down and dissect all the ways that being a white person raised in a middle class suburb in Ohio in the 1980s probably gives you some cultural baggage and innate biases, but most people skip right past that and assume you're saying they're basically the same as a Klan member. They shut down, disengage, and if you're talking about an online forum that's where you get the craziest of dumb internet arguments.

As a mod, that's the issue I have to be concerned with. If a thread is just a never ending clusterfuck of acrimony and poo poo-slinging that drives away all but those most determined to win at arguing on the internet, I've failed at my job. If you can't get on board with that, then you're clearly past the point where you want to have a conversation. This thread just isn't for you then. If your response to what I've just posted is that decorum simile, then just move along.

If you can't tell I'm still sorting all this poo poo out. Do me a favor and just don't be cocks. I don't want pages upon pages of the same handful of posters arguing with each other back and forth with no possibility of ever hashing anything out or doing anything more than circling around each other ad nauseum.

fun fact, hasselblad has never been probated by cyrano for more than 6h

Hasselblad and a few of the other open racists like sky shark have been run off through peer pressure rather than Cyrano actually doing his job, but it's still a place where you can talk about needing to own multiple guns to defend yourself and talk about "stopping power" for a self-defense gun and people will yell at you if you point out they're talking about lethality.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
mfw a shooter has explicitly political goals:

:doh:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
lmao Cyrano unbanned a known rapist who doxxed an SA poster

just like

c'mon, man

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
This thread is a lot of things but it ain't QCS

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Well, I didn't have feelings either way on Cyrano but they'd been decent enough as an admin... can't see them coming back from this, though. Oof.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

This thread is a lot of things but it ain't QCS

Yeah fair. Although I'm curious how exmarx says that's dickeye's alt. I figure she has one but didn't think it was known.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

Yeah fair. Although I'm curious how exmarx says that's dickeye's alt. I figure she has one but didn't think it was known.

probably from reading the thread, a bunch of people mention it and she doesn't really deny it

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Reading threads? Am I some sort of rube?

More seriously it's 24 pages long so I mostly skipped a bunch.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

stone cold posted:

it has been cool to see posters return. sup stone cold

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
la casa de papel owns if anyone is looking for something to binge on netflix

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

Tesseraction posted:

secret infallible way to determine whose rereg a given poster is:

1)

2)

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
mods needing to cross-reference ip addresses are a crutch

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lol okay that's a pretty funny way to give it away

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
yeah as well as an ip match, ban/rereg date helped eventually confirm that tiny brontosaurus was slashie

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Do Americans just all have static IPs or is everybody online 24/7 so they can immediately re-reg upon bans?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

exmarx posted:

yeah as well as an ip match, ban/rereg date helped eventually confirm that tiny brontosaurus was slashie

Given the ship has sailed and she's perma'd - Tiny Bronto is not, in fact Slashie. They did break the rules by account sharing tho. :ssh:

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
i know she didn't buy tiny brontosaurus, but it was definitely used by the same person as 2 of slashie's other parachute accounts, posted in the same way, etc, etc

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

exmarx posted:

maybe... all mods bad?

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

exmarx posted:

Both are bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
maybe it's the alcohol talking, but my god do i hate roughly half this country with the fury of a thousand suns

those stupid, evil motherfuckers