Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

ty my old bar boss saw me and said “you look... hydrated”

So I got that going for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Dude, just put me on ignore, you have been doing this for YEARS

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

two things: one, no, i haven't, you stopped posting here for like five years, and came back like...this spring? year before? either way, hardly the years of harassment and stalking you want to claim it is. two, your posts have been garbage for the ten plus years ive been on this deead gay website. your posts are bad. everything you post is bad. you whip yourself into a frenzy anytime someone questions you or else just bow out and cry. you've called me having autism about posters and just remembering poo poo stalking, when really its just i remember you being a shithead because i kvetched about goons self-diagnosing aspergers to get out of addressing that they were just assholes, because i wasnt going to therapy in a state with poo poo mental health resources when i was broke myself. you accused me of self diagnosing too. poo poo like that sticks in my craw. also, as stated above, i have autism, for posts

gently caress off oocc. you have never contributed poo poo and nobody likes you. i've never contributed poo poo either but at least people like me. sometimes.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

it was a joke, not a grand expression of my thoughts and opinions on the history of the comic book industry

mazel tov

thats fair im just seeing that sort of take unironically a lot today and whew lad

my bad

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
also anyone who cries about the uspol/trump/thunderdome threads being ruined because of the merger should be banned

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Pirate Radar posted:

A friend’s take was “with all this hero worship following Stan Lee’s death, Jack Kirby would be rolling in his grave if Lee hadn’t stolen that too.”

:lol: Yeah, I’m sad he’s gone but he was pretty cutthroat. Key & Peele has a great sketch about him bull dozing everyone in a writer’s room.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

also anyone who cries about the uspol/trump/thunderdome threads being ruined because of the merger should be banned

Co-signing this. Also anyone who thinks there are more derails or meta-arguments there now obviously didn’t regularly post in the old thread.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
My blistering take is that thunderdome was pointless when cspam existed and the Trump thread was bad because there was no push back and smashing them together is good as gently caress

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

not sure how to process mooyashi getting sober

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Majorian posted:

Co-signing this. Also anyone who thinks there are more derails or meta-arguments there now obviously didn’t regularly post in the old thread.

Now that the news thread is operational, things are much better. USPOL is a good discussion, and I can aggregate events in the news thread. It's the best the forum has been in a couple years. New mod team is A+

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

My blistering take is that thunderdome was pointless when cspam existed and the Trump thread was bad because there was no push back and smashing them together is good as gently caress

Smashing them together just forced more people to read oocc posts. Why do you hate America?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Furnaceface posted:

Smashing them together just forced more people to read oocc posts. Why do you hate America?

I mean, I can think of an easy solution for that

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

"I'm going to get up this morning and pretend that I don't know who a pop culture icon is and poo poo on people who admired him to a forum full of strangers who literally don't care about me at all" I said, before proceeding to Have A Normal One

he doesn’t sound latvian so i dont think he has any relation to popular culture here

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

One of the people who made Marvel Comics into an actual company, one of the most important people in the history of the industry, co-creator of basically every big superhero created in the 60s

Eat some poo poo

ah, should’ve just said that it’s the inventor of fascist comics books for adults

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

cinci zoo sniper posted:

ah, should’ve just said that it’s the inventor of fascist comics books for adults

Go gently caress yourself

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

cinci zoo sniper posted:

careful, you'll cut yourself on that edge.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
someone in my facebook feed won't shut up about all the horses displaced by the fire in malibu and it's starting to get on my nerves

cinci zoo sniper posted:

who's the most famous latvian protagonist?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Comic books are for children and immature adults

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

who's the most famous latvian protagonist?

jury is split between lāčplēsis and potato

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Serious adults only read books about grain and engine repair

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Serious adults only read books about grain and engine repair

don't forget milhist

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Real adults are joyless curmudgeons who hate fun and laughter, you can't be an adult and like things, only killjoys need apply for adulthood.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Lightning Knight posted:

Real adults are joyless curmudgeons who hate fun and laughter, you can't be an adult and like things, only killjoys need apply for adulthood.

you can enjoy modern art, like videogames, just fine

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Do you rate yourself M for Mature, gamer?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

you can enjoy modern art, like videogames, just fine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1roy4o4tqQM

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

he also got outed during #metoo, but it got explained away by him being senile

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Detective Pikachu looks good even if I’m disappointed it’s Ryan Reynolds and not Danny DeVito

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

exmarx posted:

he also got outed during #metoo, but it got explained away by him being senile

was he allegedly born senile?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://twitter.com/i_zzzzzz/status/1062255261770022913

cinci zoo sniper posted:

was he allegedly born senile?

i mean he was into super hero comicbooks, so there was clearly something up

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Lightning Knight posted:

I'm 31 and I enjoyed the gently caress out of dq11.

In between typical protodad things like yardwork, grilling meat, doing dishes, etc of course. Oh and I totally drop down to five under if someone flies up on my rear end in the neighborhood. Don't speed in neighborhoods you loving assholes.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Oh the actual MTG thread

Yeah, did you think I meant like, actual magic? Don't think zoux is Wiccan quite yet

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

he doesn’t sound latvian so i dont think he has any relation to popular culture here

I remember when The Uncanny X-Men was touted as "the best-selling comic book in the world" way back when, and it had a monthly circulation of about 400 000 world-wide. Years later I found out Aku Ankka had a circulation of about 420 000 at that time. loving Guinness :arghfist::finland:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

I remember when The Uncanny X-Men was touted as "the best-selling comic book in the world" way back when, and it had a monthly circulation of about 400 000 world-wide. Years later I found out Aku Ankka had a circulation of about 420 000 at that time. loving Guinness :arghfist::finland:

HAKKONEEEEENNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

donald duck is legitimately a very good comic imo

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

V. Illych L. posted:

donald duck is legitimately a very good comic imo

Is it even in print anymore? I remember at one time Don Rosa commented that it was weird for him that his new work was first printed in foreign languages because all the American Disney mags had been cancelled.

e: Apparently there have been several gaps of one or more years since the 90s.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Nov 13, 2018

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

it certainly is in norway, at least

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

V. Illych L. posted:

it certainly is in norway, at least

do you guys have hardon for Donald Duck same as sweden?

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I don't give Stan Lee credit for much (most of it was Jack Kirby anyway) but he did legit talk about how he made almost all of his heroes liberal, because it was the only way to keep the inherent fascism of what they did in costume at bay. His other big artist collaborator (Steve Ditko) was a pretty huge Objectivist, so his Spider-man art had gross things in it like Spider-man attacking student protesters and the like.

Lee was a huckster and a bit of a thief, not a Nazi.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i don't know, but it's still the "default" comic magazine for children and has good, simple language, stories which are reasonably compelling and characters which are decently nuanced

this in stark contrast to almost everything else in commercial children's culture these days

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

children read donald duck and see a deeply flawed working class everyman with a bad temper and a massive chip on his shoulder who has to be bailed out by his nephews. nevertheless, he always tries to be there for them, and there is never any doubt that his affection for them is genuine

it's an excellent way to gently introduce kids to the fallibility of well-meaning authority figures, and questions of personal dignity &c&c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

When I was a kid, about 1/3 of Aku Ankka stories ended with him chasing the ducklings with a switch. The rest usually ended with uncle Roope chasing Aku with a blunderbuss, mallet, machine gun, or other weapon of destruction.

e: they were very different times

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Nov 13, 2018