Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I got myself a concert-sized Ukulele by Luna ($100 came with bag), with geared tuners and I'm not sure what kind of strings because I bought it in a music store. I guess synthetic.

I have not played a string instrument before, besides trying to play on a falling apart violin (used to play the drums in high school), so I figured a four string instrument would be easy and cheap to pick up and play.

I am having a lot of fun with it. I got a First 50 Songs book which is pretty helpful, and I've been using some websites about ukuleles to learn some tricks about chord finger placement and such.

So far my fingertips hurt a lot less after a few days and a few hours of play each day, though I'm having a challenge of switching from one chord to another, but I assume that will come with time.

A few days of tuning every day is helping it stay more in tune.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Nov 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I knew what that link was before I clicked on it, and I'm glad I saw it again.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Siivola posted:

Barre chords on the first fret can suck my mass-produced nut. :arghfist::saddowns:

In this being my first string instrument I can say I really hate bar'd chords.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

What chord can I do instead of Bm in this chart?

I find it really hard to do without completely wretching my hand placement and isn't at all natural feeling.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Making progress.... (first string instrument)

Over the Rainbow: https://voca.ro/f7ijYjAWBwR
Strumming: https://voca.ro/bNbVXM56nLg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

bees everywhere posted:

Here is a great beginner song to learn: http://ukuleletab.net/i/iz/white-sandy-beach/ Don't worry about the fancy picking, you can strum like this: D, D U, U D U over and over

Thanks! I don't play as often as I should, but I started learning about picking and tabs and incorporating picking is definitely next after learning the major chords better. The hardest part is still switching between the less common ones.

The book I have for this stuff often has like....E♭maj7 or B♭, or F7 and my fingers are just like "what the gently caress are you trying to do? pick simpler chords" :xd: