Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Aloha and welcome to the ukulele thread!

The what thread?

Ukulele! It's a tiny guitar-like instrument from Hawaii. It's got four nylon strings and it's played by either strumming or picking the strings. Most people use their fingers, but some use picks. The uke has a range of about two octaves and is traditionally tuned g-C-E-A with C being the lowest string. This "re-entrant tuning" is the reason the ukulele makes such a funny sound when strummed. In addition to the standard-sized (often called soprano) ukulele, there are various other types such as concert, tenor, baritone and even bass.

Tl;dr: It's basically a tiny classical guitar with a hosed up tuning.

What kind of music could I play on one?
Anything you feel like! Besides being a cornerstone of Hawaiian music since the 19th century, the ukulele was extremely popular in the US during the twenties. Dig out some Tin Pan Alley songs, join a folk jam or butcher some jazz standards, it's all good. These days you can find uke arrangements of literally anything, up to and including the Star Wars soundtrack.

Okay, how do I get started?
Buy a uke. And a metronome. Google "twelve bar blues" and "ukulele chords". Borrow a song book from the library. Go nuts.

Yeah but which ukulele?
gently caress if I know, go to the store and play around with some. :shrug: If you have big hands, you might find a tenor or even a baritone more comfortable than the comparatively small soprano.

Your dog has fleas?
I really should call a vet about it.

If you can't tell, I don't know a whole lot about the uke. :shobon: That's because I bought one on impulse (because of a thread in A/T), left it in its bag for literal years and picked it up last month. Thus far I can play a basic twelve-bar blues in C and muddle through the first ten bars of John Williams's Cantina Band. I'm learning music for the first time since high school. :iia:

What do y'all other uke-owners play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I'd heard about it but I don't think I've ever actually watched the entire video. :eyepop:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

ewe2 posted:

I've found that they really love Aquila reds for strings, they seem to bring out more sustain and volume from them.
Put on a set of these just now. They do sound that tiny bit louder for longer than my previous Aguila nylguts.

But now the drat thing is going to be (even more) out of tune for a week as the strings stretch. :geno:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Barre chords on the first fret can suck my mass-produced nut. :arghfist::saddowns:

ewe2 posted:

Here's a great resource for Beatles songs for the ukulele.
Thanks, I really need to get into the habit of learning actual songs instead of noodling the blues.

Edit: Oh, they're just really makeshift charts. I was hoping for lead sheets for some reason. :(

Siivola fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Dec 9, 2018

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I originally got my uke to learn folk and historical music, but got distracted at some point and never did. But I want to try again, so do you guys have any recs for songbooks to look at?

I know Tony Mizen and Rob MacKillop have both arranged classical and other music for the uke, are their books any good?

Siivola fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jan 16, 2020

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Huxley posted:

Describe folk and historical. Do you want to play irish jigs and reels or Neil Young? Bach's cello suites? I have a few uke-specific PDFs floating around my computer.
Yes to all of the above, really. If you can imagine it played at a renaissance faire, I'm willing to try it. :hist101: However, I'd really prefer a printed book since music is one of my few excuses to get off the computer.

Edit: Thanks for the links nonetheless!

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Someone talk me out of buying a solid top 8-string. My soprano is kinda small and I'd like a bit more everything in the sound.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

bees everywhere posted:

If you get a decent tenor ukulele with some Aquila Nylgut strings you might get all the sound you've been looking for. Sopranos are great for strumming chords but I would say a tenor is more versatile. Personally I have been eye-balling some 5-string tenors to get some more oomph from the G string.
Yeah I've been thinking of going up to a tenor. I've been looking at videos and eight-strings have that folksy jangle that I think I'd really enjoy, but it's hard to find one to try out.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Aw man, I want a uke group too. :smith:

But that sounds cool! What kind of stuff do you use the uke for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

That sounds like a good time!