Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Is it too late to revive this thread? I've been playing the uke on and off since about October, when I took a little intro class and caught the bug. I've been getting by with a decent solid mahogany soprano from Ohana, but just decided to put in an order for a custom-built uke from a little mom and pop joint called Bonanza. It's going to be a thinline tenor cutaway with a low G tuning, so somewhat different from what I've been used to up until now.

Having had some guitar experience, it was fairly easy for me to learn the chords and how to strum, but I'm running into the same problem again of not knowing how to move my practice beyond just playing various permutations of chords.

I'd really like to eventually get to the point of improvising/soloing, and being able to figure out songs by ear well enough to just hop in with some basic chord strumming. Anyone have some advice in that regard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Wrenching your hand? Are you trying to use all four fingers to play it? The normal way to play that chord is to press down all four strings with your index finger, then use your ring finger to additionally press down on the fourth fret of the fourth string (it's okay if your index finger is also pressing on the fourth string because it's behind where the string is actually being fretted).

Chords that have you press across the strings like that are called barre chords, and it's actually used a lot, even in some non-standard ways. For example, you can play the D chord by barring the G, C, and E strings and then lifting up your finger a bit to let the A string play open. Playing a G chord with a mini barre (leaving the G string open) is also an easy way to transition into Em by simply adding your ring finger onto the C string.

It's still not going to feel natural compared to non-barre chords, and you'll probably have some muted/buzzing strings until you figure out how to position your finger and apply pressure in just the right way to do it without cramping up, but it's something that you should learn to do sooner rather than later.