Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Gettin' it with naff all power is the one. A friend of mine's been drifting his IS200 Sport Cross because he stoved his R33 into a concrete block at the track, for something that came with 155hp at best from factory he keeps up with much more powerful cars and is committed to sending it all the time.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbxfD6tHs3h/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

this rules tell your friend he’s a legend/get more video. I want to see what it’s like wheeling it in car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

SquirrelGrip posted:

this rules tell your friend he’s a legend/get more video. I want to see what it’s like wheeling it in car

I'll see what he's got, there's likely some in-car stuff. He's just finishing up the big pink BN kitted R33 he's been working on for a year or so, it'll certainly be quicker than the IS but for low entry price drifting (plus space to load tyres in) a Sport Cross kinda owns...

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Full wide BN or just the lips? I have a S13 kit I’m scared to chuck on mine as I will destroy it pretty quickly, and I’ll just be rattlecanning the body as it’s pretty hosed already so it’s kind of a waste.

We didn’t get the sportwagons here I don’t think, and most of the IS’s I see at the track/for sale are JZ or 1UZ swaps, I’ve seen one turbo beams setup as well.

On second thought I have a feeling I’ve seen that wagon, maybe in a driftworks video?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
We did, I think it was marketed as the Sportcross. Auto only, of course. They are rare.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

SquirrelGrip posted:

Full wide BN or just the lips? I have a S13 kit I’m scared to chuck on mine as I will destroy it pretty quickly, and I’ll just be rattlecanning the body as it’s pretty hosed already so it’s kind of a waste.

On second thought I have a feeling I’ve seen that wagon, maybe in a driftworks video?

R33 is full hovercraft mode BN. BN is one of few kits I actually like, it works so well on a lot of cars. (note the pink R33 in the background, that was the one he stoved into a concrete barrier on a drift day, hovercraft is going pink too)

And this is the replacement for the red Sportcross which has finally died, an Altezza Gita which is the rarest of the rare. Sportcrosses are few and far between anyway but the Gita is full on hen's teeth. It's the 'sensible daily' but seeing is it's owned by Alex it's getting a W58 and a 2JZ loaded into it at some point. Probably around the time my mk3 Supra gets a 2JZ. Handy man to know...!

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I'm suprised hed using a toyota RWD box, I thought most people now were just using the 330D ones with an adapter due to being way more common. I know someone who went that way with a manual converted soarer who uses it for drifting.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

track day bro! posted:

I'm suprised hed using a toyota RWD box, I thought most people now were just using the 330D ones with an adapter due to being way more common. I know someone who went that way with a manual converted soarer who uses it for drifting.

He's got a stack of parts ready to go for various projects, I think the W58 was out of a mk3 Supra he picked up for super cheap a few years ago for parts.

Nice to know there's other options out there though, it's not something I've looked too closely at myself.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

track day bro! posted:

What is a 330D out of? I’ve seen CD09 (z car) manual trans swaps, and all manner of ford/holden boxes put behind jz’s

Good to know there’s another option, R154’s are taxed fiercely in Aus.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The AR5 out of the Pontiac Solstice is a pretty popular budget setup for JZs in the US now

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
https://youtu.be/JPpive-Jp8k :swoon:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

What broke at the end? Shredded a tire?

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Darchangel posted:

What broke at the end? Shredded a tire?

Yeah, that track is pretty rough and shreds tyres quickly. It was either delammed but more likely they were belts slapping.

Even with my stock power sr20 car (t25 turbo and sidemount) id get two laps before I shredded a set on touge and I never made it out of 2nd gear. I could get maybe 20 laps on either school or manami out of set for reference.

SquirrelGrip fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 6, 2019

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

SquirrelGrip posted:

What is a 330D out of? I’ve seen CD09 (z car) manual trans swaps, and all manner of ford/holden boxes put behind jz’s

Good to know there’s another option, R154’s are taxed fiercely in Aus.

I meant a BMW 330D gearbox, pretty common in Europe. Might be a bit different in aus tho! Makes sense because the diesel boxes are designed to take more torque.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

(it's on air cups)

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Olympic Mathlete posted:

(it's on air cups)

While I know this is the sensible way to get low, if it was static I’d send your friend the hover king trophy and lament his chassis rails

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

It was static at that height until he realised it wouldn't be able to be driven out of the workshop. Aircups were bought to enable it to come outdoors and actually be able to be driven on our lovely roads (and there's speed bumps right outside). Not sure what height it'll rest at when sorted yet.

He had an old Civic which would catch the cats eyes on the motorway when changing lanes and would have to plan his routes extensively to make sure he didn't get beached anywhere. Following him home one evening was certainly an eye opener for static slammed cars, it was the kind of nightmare I never want to deal with :v:

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Yeah I say that but I had a silvia that was scraping rails (track only though) and it was more of a joke than anything else.

In actual car news I have just finished moving house with my brother and now have a 6 car garage, and access to all the tools and various mechanics on our local army base. Also scored some pbm coilovers of a friends comp car, so I should stop being slack and do some work (I know thief)

SquirrelGrip fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 8, 2019

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Page 3 and nobody has posted this yet? I'm disappointed in all of you :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJSakvx3J2E

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Chelsea Denofa purchased an AW11 for a drift car like the same person he is

https://youtu.be/gMbXVJhV-FE

His channel has lots of cool poo poo actually

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
:australia:

https://youtu.be/IdE_FJEDzFo

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

thank you for this

this was me 10 years ago but a crown vic. as an american i've always been kind of fascinated by the falcon - especially those early 90s ones

tbh i have a terrible obsession with drifting budget brand stock engines (preferably na) but i've been trying to avoid posting tafheet tier stuff here out of respect towards our already degenerate hobby pissing enough ppl off as it is

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Thief posted:

thank you for this

this was me 10 years ago but a crown vic. as an american i've always been kind of fascinated by the falcon - especially those early 90s ones

BA (in video) is early to mid 2000's. The early 1990's is the EB and that one is terrible

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

lol the eb is one of my most used cars in forza but fortunately videogames dont make you pay for maintenance

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
about that.... https://youtu.be/50nb6vBWVYo

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
not joking this thing owns

https://youtu.be/841gtQQTgRs - noriyaro at a skyline festival

https://youtu.be/A-TDfCstUAw - first few seconds are worth a watch alone, crazy entries at mobarra

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

^ Alex the dude with the Sport Cross wants a Verossa... Those things are ugly as gently caress but then visual trolling is very him.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
if he’s as committed as I hope he is...

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Knowing him it'd end up something like that, yeah... Such an ugly car.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

This rules a lot

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Knowing him it'd end up something like that, yeah... Such an ugly car.

X100’s are pushing 30k here these days, but you can grab a 110 for about half that lol

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
this is old and I’ve posted it somewhere on these forums before but roger is a local and a bit of a loose cannon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3jeLVxEwKI

I love that the channel is called p plater mods

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

i've actually been looking for a clean cressida

in about a year or two my ecobox will be paid off and i will have a $10-20k budget for a new fun low hp rwd car. having been through the whole s13->rb25 thing i am gonna be leaning more towards reliability than anything else unless an exceptionally clean Nissan Laurel or SR20 180sx comes around to the east coast, usa - which is surprisingly likely since we have a very well established JDM importer 1 state away from me

what i've specifically been searching for:
  • 240sx coupe - onevia preferred (Ka24 is still cheap here ftw and i want flip-up lights but not another hatch)
  • Toyota Cressida
  • Toyota MR-2 (2nd gen)
  • Fiero/Firebird/Foxbody comedy option

otherwise i can always just find an S2k because they are much easier to get a clean used one OR alternatively just buy a brand new BRZ or Miata after dropping a 50% downpayment like an adult

if anyone has experience with any of these cars feel free to try and talk me out of :homebrew:ing it

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Yeah I own/have owned everything but the american options you have last and miatas;

240sx/180sx - it’s an s13, it’s easy as piss to work on and so many companies make parts still. Sr20det’s are great up to around 250kw, 200kw on stock internals is fine and achievable with a later model s15 t28 ball beating turbo, some injectors and a plug and play ecu/tune. P sure you know the drill here (a friend is building a onevia after we wrecked his silvia at the track, was cheaper to go widebody and do the bonnet and light swap that replace with factory panels). Never touched a ka24, our options were ca18dets or sr supremacy.

Cressida - I assume you are chasing an mx80 and nothing earlier? the 5m/7m’s can do work, but are a bit long in the tooth these days. Going to be need some dollars dropped on a stock one to get something fun going, but will be more comfortable to drive on the regular than any of your other options and it’s a reliable fucker. Cressida with a 1jzgte would be a stealth fun car, even an na 2j would be sexy (if the budget stretches to a jzx90/100/110 do it, they are amazing dailies and share the same basic suspension/drivetrain from the 90 up etc)

Sw20 mr2 - bae/go kart. The 3s is comparable to the sr20 when you want to make power, but working on an mr2 is a chore, parts can be hard to find, and you will want to be maintaining it pretty well. Buuut you are almost sitting on the turbo and it owns when it gets on sound, it feels like it’s just pushing you along. Do not lift off oversteer, it will eat you

Brz/86 - cool car but not inspiring when you drive it.

Don’t ask me to talk you out of it. That’s basically my garage if you swap the Cressida for a jzx100

SquirrelGrip fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 23, 2019

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
You really don't want a S2000 if you want to drift whatever you buy :v:

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
What about a ke70 and some time spent swapping the good poo poo in? S13 suspension is a pretty easy swap, and slap engine if choice in there. don’t know if you even got those over there

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

You really don't want a S2000 if you want to drift whatever you buy :v:

Yeah I’d take mr2 off that list as well but I figured that goes without saying

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

if i get another silvia it will be my 4th time buying one - all s13s, only two functional :lol:

SquirrelGrip posted:

What about a ke70 and some time spent swapping the good poo poo in? S13 suspension is a pretty easy swap, and slap engine if choice in there. don’t know if you even got those over there

our tastes are insanely similar but alas where i live you wont find one of these without venturing into datsun 510/240z resto territory

cressidas are also so rare that any variant will do at this point :negative:

i agree about the s2k/mr2 not being the best drift cars but they are much easier to find unmolested for under 10k

my friend actually has a 2nd gen of each and we both slid the honda around a bit in a parking lot after the rain. it is incredibly stiff on dry roads (great for going :rice:) but i've never owned a honda which is the only reason i'd consider it. he also has a Beat with ~40k miles on it so i may as well get that instead. i'd like any honda at some point but i can't afford the Integra i want so i prolly won't jump in that direction unless an insanely good deal comes my way during the hunt

coming from the rb/mustang off-the-line school of drifting i will absolutely crash a mr2 it but at least i'll die happy. i think i could make it work but going down that rabbit hole might consume my entire life... no matter what i end up with - if it gets drifted, it will be very conservatively through low speed 90 degree corners which is why i'm more seriously considering one. anything 3rd gear or above will be reserved for VIR.

btw i forgot to mention i am also looking at lexus GS's or whatever else they have thats rwd and realistically affordable but finding one that hasn't skipped an oil change like a fairlady/infiniti G

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
I’ve never owned a Honda either, the mate fixing his silvia into a onevia has an older civic type r I’ve driven so I understand the appeal a little

My MR2 is my money hole, mainly because I drove it as a daily for years (not the smartest move in a corporate job but dat flutter) and it’s just as prick to work on and hasn’t had the aftermarket support the rb/jz/sr still has

a gs/aristo would also be good, but you will be trying to slide a boat. worth it to be big daddy at the track imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Thief posted:

i've actually been looking for a clean cressida

in about a year or two my ecobox will be paid off and i will have a $10-20k budget for a new fun low hp rwd car. having been through the whole s13->rb25 thing i am gonna be leaning more towards reliability than anything else unless an exceptionally clean Nissan Laurel or SR20 180sx comes around to the east coast, usa - which is surprisingly likely since we have a very well established JDM importer 1 state away from me

what i've specifically been searching for:
  • 240sx coupe - onevia preferred (Ka24 is still cheap here ftw and i want flip-up lights but not another hatch)
  • Toyota Cressida
  • Toyota MR-2 (2nd gen)
  • Fiero/Firebird/Foxbody comedy option

otherwise i can always just find an S2k because they are much easier to get a clean used one OR alternatively just buy a brand new BRZ or Miata after dropping a 50% downpayment like an adult

if anyone has experience with any of these cars feel free to try and talk me out of :homebrew:ing it

My MR2 is legal to import into the US and has had a complete engine rebuild and a bunch of other stuff done.....................