Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Sci fi?
This poll is closed.
No sci-fi! 4 5.06%
It's too easy 11 13.92%
Do not, under any circumstance, post ridiculous sex stuff from sci fi! 17 21.52%
Okay, you can post weird sex stuff from sci fi, well-played! 47 59.49%
Total: 79 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

FactsAreUseless posted:

I've been trying to remember the name of this book for almost two decades now. Thank you. Somehow never realized it was Barker.

I have a signed copy :smug:

Is it worth anything? Probably not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

ulex minor posted:

Edmund being successfully tempted by Turkish Delight when eating Turkish Delight is like biting into a slug that's just crawled through the contents of a reclusive duchess's dressing table.

How did no one clown on this scrub who thinks Turkish Delight is gross.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Also I'll always remember the 13 Clocks for being great and also kind of surreal at points.

There's a scene where the bad guy and his henchman are talking bad guy things, and then the book describes quote "something" running down the stairs, across the room, and out a door. The bad guys don't even know what the gently caress. And it isn't brought up ever again.
There's illustrations that go along with the book that were part of the original printing, so you know they had author approval.
And that scene has an uh....drawing.

This is a light fantasy kid's book high on whimsy btw.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
13 Clocks and in fact any Thurber book is extremely high on the good kind of ridiculous

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Pistol_Pete posted:

I have a signed copy :smug:

Is it worth anything? Probably not.
Probably a little, but books are never worth what anybody thinks.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Probably not well known outside of the UK, but there's the Demon Head Master books by Gillian Cross. The premise is that the Head Master (principal for US folks) of a school has hypnotising powers - if people look into his eyes, he can control their minds, except for a handful of kids, and that he wants to use his powers to take over the world (exactly how he got these powers or how they work is never explained). The book is mostly about the protagonists trying to get people to believe them, as most of the student body is hypnotised, and any teacher authority figure who looks into the odd goings on at the school gets hypnotised too. It's fun conspiracy thriller stuff for kids. At the end of the book, the kids work out the Head Master's plan, and it's pretty silly. He invites a TV show to the school, and tries to force the main character to win by threatening to have the hypnotised students beat her friends to death (!), which will give him the chance to speak on live TV and hypnotise the viewers, because apparently everyone watches this children's game show? They stop him by dumping pepper on him, which breaks his concentration and owns him so hard that he gets laughed off the set and flees the school. The day is saved, yay! Until the sequels.

The sequels get very silly and increasingly bizzare.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Grape posted:

How did no one clown on this scrub who thinks Turkish Delight is gross.

Turkish Delight tastes like what I imagine an old lady in Victorian times smelled like.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Solice Kirsk posted:

Turkish Delight tastes like what I imagine an old lady in Victorian times smelled like.

Imagine having such a manchild level of taste that you think gummies coated in powdered sugar with simple fruit flavors are gross fancy food.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Grape posted:

Imagine having such a manchild level of taste that you think gummies coated in powdered sugar with simple fruit flavors are gross fancy food.

Not fancy, just gross.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Turkish delight, or the the legit stuff, is flavored with rose, so yeah it tastes like the concept of old lady.

I like it, myself. Go eat flowers.

Although I think they had three flavors, rose, orange blossom and uh uh some sort of fruit i can't remember probably citrus of some sort. :eng101:

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Dec 2, 2018

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Grape posted:

Ooooooh, you've never had Turkish Delight. Are you confusing it with Jello? Cause it wasn't powdered sugar that was coating it either. It was really weird.

terminal chillness
Oct 16, 2008

This baby is off the charts
I seem to recall a series of books about a pet rabbit who happened to be some sort of vampire that sucked the juice out of vegetables.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Bunnicula.

terminal chillness
Oct 16, 2008

This baby is off the charts
Oh yeah. Cool.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

rodbeard posted:

Bunnicula.
Yeah, those were weird. Popular around the same time as the Bailey School Kids books with the vampire teacher.

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Mona the Vampire isn't a real vampire

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Solice Kirsk posted:

Ooooooh, you've never had Turkish Delight. Are you confusing it with Jello? Cause it wasn't powdered sugar that was coating it either. It was really weird.

lol my dude I have inlaws from that area of the world and go visit every year. You're the one who doesn't know what the heck they're eating, and are probably getting off brand poo poo from a supermarket.

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Turkish delight, or the the legit stuff, is flavored with rose, so yeah it tastes like the concept of old lady.

I like it, myself. Go eat flowers.

Although I think they had three flavors, rose, orange blossom and uh uh some sort of fruit i can't remember probably citrus of some sort. :eng101:

I had an ouzo flavored batch once, it was awesome.

Grape fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Dec 2, 2018

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

If anyone has ever read the John Bellairs Young adult mysteries, they're a trip.I won't go into detail at 3 a.m., but I'll post more about them tomorrow. they involve all kinds of crazy poo poo like pocket dimensions with evil secret societies, Armageddon clocks, time travel to the sacking of Constantinople in addition to your classic horror monsters like mummies and zombies.

Starring a 13 year old kid.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

OldMemes posted:

Probably not well known outside of the UK, but there's the Demon Head Master books by Gillian Cross. The premise is that the Head Master (principal for US folks) of a school has hypnotising powers - if people look into his eyes, he can control their minds, except for a handful of kids, and that he wants to use his powers to take over the world (exactly how he got these powers or how they work is never explained). The book is mostly about the protagonists trying to get people to believe them, as most of the student body is hypnotised, and any teacher authority figure who looks into the odd goings on at the school gets hypnotised too. It's fun conspiracy thriller stuff for kids. At the end of the book, the kids work out the Head Master's plan, and it's pretty silly. He invites a TV show to the school, and tries to force the main character to win by threatening to have the hypnotised students beat her friends to death (!), which will give him the chance to speak on live TV and hypnotise the viewers, because apparently everyone watches this children's game show? They stop him by dumping pepper on him, which breaks his concentration and owns him so hard that he gets laughed off the set and flees the school. The day is saved, yay! Until the sequels.

The sequels get very silly and increasingly bizzare.

I remember the TV show. It had a spooky opening theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dQyPSJYZxk

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
The best Wizard of Oz books are the Russian ones.

https://oz.fandom.com/wiki/Magic_Land

First one's a pretty direct translation. The others, well, I think Volkov decided all that stuff about Tip and the Powder of Life was boring, and since Russia didn't care about copyright law they go completely off the rails. Instead of Tip, there's carpenter who finds a way to make the powder. But he's an evil carpenter, so he creates a giant army of wooden soldiers, and conquers the Emerald City.

That guy was kind of my favorite character. He was an incredibly hard worker, but his naturally evil tendencies made everything he made sinister and harmful, which meant that nobody wanted to buy his toys, tools, or furniture. He sort of ended up an evil overlord because he had no other way to make a living.

One of the later books is called "The Yellow Fog". It's about the return of an evil giantess who used to rule the land. When people refuse to give her tribute like in the old days, she casts a spell on the land. The Magic Land is covered by a toxic fog, and all of the people must stay in-doors or die - until they figure out how to create breath masks from a leaf. To beat her, they create a giant battle-robot made to her scale, modeled after the Tinman.

Blurry Gray Thing fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Dec 2, 2018

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

bitterandtwisted posted:

I remember the TV show. It had a spooky opening theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dQyPSJYZxk

That's the one!

The second book, The Prime Minister's Brain is...OK. The kids from the first book get invited to a computer programming competition, but it turns out that it's actually a trick to get them into hacking into the Prime Minister's computer, and the Demon Head Master is behind it. So they hack his helicopter to crash (!). The next book, The Revenge of the Demon Headmaster is about the Head Master trying to take over the country by creating a TV show with subminial messages. It's pretty forgettable and wasn't in the TV adaptation.

The next book, The Demon Headmaster Strikes Again takes a hard turn into science fiction out of nowhere. This time the Demon Head Master creates a machine that can alter genetics (?) and creates an evil plant (!) a giant wasp (!!) and a half lizard clone of the main character to conquer the earth with a new master race (!!!). In the end they kill him by pushing him into the machine.

....or do they?! In The Demon Headmaster Takes Over, the machine makes a clone of the Demon Head Master with amnesia. This clone then takes over an AI research project, and begins shutting down sources of information to the public, and hypntoising people to wear cameras to spy on people to create an evil AI in his own image. He tries to stick all the knowledge in the world in his head at once. It doesn't go well.

Considering that this character has been content to be the Head Teacher of a small school for quiet some time, him suddenly becoming a mad scientist is a bit jarring. The next book, Facing the Demon Head Master, has him become a DJ in a chain of nightclubs with a mask that can display images of different faces. The kids defeat him by changing the settings to show Homer Simpson. This owns him so hard he runs off the stage. So it all comes full circle in the end?

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

The Kins posted:

I was browsing a second-hand shop a while back and I found a storybook from the... 60s? 70s? called Walt Disney's America. I opened it up to a random page and got this:

this is one of the central dramatic scenes in the 1957 movie Old Yeller. adapted from the book of the same name published in 1956 by Fred Gipson. you shouldn't feel too bad about the little pig though.

quote:

One day, Travis sets out to trap feral hogs. On the advice of Bud Searcy, he sits in a tree, trying to rope them from above as Old Yeller keeps them from escaping. Travis falls into the group of hogs, one of which injures him. Old Yeller attacks it and rescues Travis, who escapes with a badly hurt leg. Old Yeller is severely wounded as well. Searcy warns them of hydrophobia in the area and is chastised by Katie for trying to scare Travis. Travis assures her that the hogs did not have hydrophobia, and both Travis and Old Yeller fully recover.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

The Kins posted:

I was browsing a second-hand shop a while back and I found a storybook from the... 60s? 70s? called Walt Disney's America. I opened it up to a random page and got this:

Well, that seems a nicer way to kill a pig than the way a lot of folks do it.

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Granny always said there's more than one way to kill a pig.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Feral hogs will gently caress you up quite thoroughly but sure, let's send a fourteen year old out to sit in a rope with a tree. He'll be fine, he's got a yellow lab with him.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Has anyone ever read the later parts of the Allan Quatermain series? I guess they’re racist enough that kids don’t read King Solomon’s Mines anymore, but I was talking to my dad about it and apparently there’s a poo poo ton of books and in the later ones Quatermain starts taking drugs which allow him to relive his past life as a caveman.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Funny thing, The Phantom is still crazy popular in Australia and routinely outsells Marvel and DC's combined output last I checked.

The Phantom was so popular in Norway that people risked their lives smuggling the strip into the country during the german occupation.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Oz is interesting in how it was a fairly popular and well known series and now all anyone knows or cares about is the film.

The only place I've ever seen a non-Disney Pinocchio is in my own study and even I haven't actually read that one.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Funny thing, The Phantom is still crazy popular in Australia and routinely outsells Marvel and DC's combined output last I checked.

Marvel and DC sell badly basically because there's no way to just follow one title, as almost all story-lines at some point or another cross over into other titles and/or specials.

evilmiera posted:

There was a Swedish book series called The Concrete Roses, about a bunch of kids way out of their depths solving crimes. Sounds familiar of course, but where it differs was that it had things like the main character falling down an elevator shaft and essentially flaying his skin off grabbing the wire, and an arsonist being another kid that was trying to frame an abuser and who couldn't sleep unless they burnt something.

I still to this day don't know why the parents of the kids didn't move from that neighborhood.

They were by Olov Svedelid so I'm not surprised they were a bit on the dark side.

Question is: how the gently caress did I miss these as a kid. I guess by 1986 (when the first one was translated) I was already reading "real" crime fiction but still:

OK cool, good:

Whoah this is the stuff:

OK I'll just track down a copy and read it right now:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

flakeloaf posted:

Feral hogs will gently caress you up quite thoroughly but sure, let's send a fourteen year old out to sit in a rope with a tree. He'll be fine, he's got a yellow lab with him.

This is pretty much rural child raising norms last I checked.

Country people are all hosed in the head bad.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

trains can't talk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

SciFiDownBeat posted:

trains can't talk

Have you never been on a train? They talk all the time.