Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
You Have to Give Me a Do-Over!

Louie finally remembered that he hits things with swords, it’s a miracle! An upgrade for Louie at last!

Truthkeeper posted:

If Louie comes in asking for a sword, he gets the best drat +5 Holy Avenger I’ve got, no money down.

Shut up you.

It’s hard to imagine why these people would want or need most of the things they buy, but there’s something especially odd about a little girl buying a lovely breastplate.

Twice! Two upgrades in the same day!

I’m not going to buy any new furnishings for the shop just yet (I can get new wallpaper, flooring, and sale counters from the market), but it’s an important thing to think about. Your choices on these will affect the shop’s atmosphere scales, and more importantly, some of these look really loving silly but you have no way of knowing what they look like before buying.

Wow, it’s already evening…

You enjoy the evening, don’t you.

… To be honest… until recently, I despised evenings. I always had to go home to an empty house…

Ah…

But, now… Now I have you at home, so I’m not lonely anymore!

… I… … We should get home, then.

I think this is the first time it’s been established that Tear is living with Recette right now. On the one hand, this is rather sweet, Recette being so happy to have somebody, anybody, at home.

On the other hand, this means the mafia enforcer is constantly looking over her shoulder, ready to end things and seize the house the moment Recette isn’t dedicating her every waking minute to paying back the debt.

Hmm? What is it?

Why are adventurers in the pub so often? Do they all like alcohol that much?

Well, adventurers do enjoy their liquid pleasure, but a pub like this also handles “quests” for adventurers.

What is this “quest” of which you speak?

Therefore, many of the people here are looking for work.

Isn’t that kind of stuff handled by the Adventurer’s Guild?

The Guild does also handle some quests, but remember, you can only hire a guild adventurer officially if you possess the guild card of that person – assuming they have one at all. Therefore, places like this tend to offer a different kind of quest… mome “daily”, run-of-the-mill business, if you will. Clients do not pay as much as guild-sponsored ones, but this sort of place is also far friendlier to “rookies”. However… if the request is too simple or moronic, it is likely no one will even attempt to do it… Look, the requests are posted up there on the wall. Let us have a look, shall we?

Umm, let’s see…

Okay, letting the child into the bar in the first place was already questionable, but the wall of the bar turns out to be pre-FBI investigation Craigslist. Recette may need an adult. A full-size adult.

While it is true that they are often used as glorified handymen, in a way this sort of thing is a sign of how much adventurers have blended into daily life in the city.

That’s true… Hey, actually… we should do this quest! I mean, I’d love to help someone find their kitty!

Ah… no, I am afraid we can not. While anyone can post a request, only those registered with the Adventurer’s Guild can legally take on such requests. So I am afraid we can not do anything listed here.

You just finished explaining to me that the point of this request wall is to get requests too low level for the guild, sometimes by people who don’t have guild cards. Make up your drat mind Tear.

Or possibly she’s lying because she doesn’t want Recette wasting time with things that won’t make money for her company.

Aww, that’s a bummer…

That it is, Recette. Then again, it would be even harder to take this game seriously if the 9 year old girl was also an adventurer. Yep, I’d never be able to handle playing this without laughing if there was a child adventurer.

Guild master needed one of his weapons back.

I’m not sure why Louie wants this chestnut. They’re hard enough to be used as projectile weapons, so I don’t think they’re edible.

And that’s day 6 over, and I’m actually ending a day in the black for a change.

It’s day 7, the end of the first week.

The first payment is due at close of business tomorrow. No worries, I got this handled.

Old man came in looking for a treasure.

I did not.

Recette always reacts this way to failing to make a sale.

drat it Louie! The cute girly sandals that would have been an upgrade for you were right there in the window.

Items from dungeons with +s after them are still worth extra rep.

I didn’t have any books either.

Shoes do not count as armor.

drat and blast.

Oh, hey Recette! Tear!

Precisely why is a person without a cent to his name in an establishment devoted to drinking and spending astoundingly vast sums of coin?

Told you he’s an adult. At the very least Tear thinks he’s old enough to drink.

I came to check out the posted quests! Y’know, from patrons?

I thought you’d be the questing type, Louie!

Because that’s literally his job?

Darn right! I do ‘em whenever I can!

Well, what are you considering doing at this time?

I was eyeing one of these, maybe.

Lemme see…

I am certain these are all references again, but I’m not getting any of them. How can this game I’ve sunk 100+ hours into make me feel like I don’t play enough video games.

Actually, I think that third one sounds familiar. Something I played on the PSP. Might have been What Did I Do to Deserve This, My Lord?

These… uh… seem like they might be kinda hard…

More importantly, who on earth posted them HERE, of all places?...

Well, for some reason, nobody’s been taking ‘em, despite the great pay!

Hmm, I can not possible imagine why no one has taken one. Merde.

I know, right? If I can get my hands on one of those rewards, I can say farewell to my life of poverty forever!

Louie’s life would be almost as depressing as Recette’s if it wasn’t so funny.

Ah… he is… serious.

Well, I’m off!

Rather than his bidding farewell to poverty, I fear we will be bidding farewell to him. In a casket.

Louie… you kind of remind me of… … Papa…

There’s a ringing endorsement.

As I continue leveling up, I unlock higher level items from the merchants’ guild and market. Now I just need to get this into Louie’s hands.

Incidentally, this little shopping trip almost completely tapped out my on-hand cash.

Okay, so I lost money since yesterday. No worries.

G’morning!

Incidentally… You are aware that today is the first day of collections, yes?

Eh?! Wait, as in “pay up or we take your house” collections?!

I’m sorry Tear, does it hurt to be reminded that you’re threatening this girl with homelessness?

Uh, let’s see… I have a calendar that I can check when I’m on break, don’t I… Or “in the main menu”. I bet you’d say.

Indeed. This is only the first week of collections, so the amount to be paid is not severe… yet. However, the amount is scheduled to increase weekly, so keep that in mind and do not get lazy. The bill is due at the end of the day… so work as hard as you can today, yes.

Affirmations!

All I have to do is make 9995 pix in a day. Piece of cake. I got this covered.

And there’s 9850 in the first time segment. See, told you I had it handled. I think you were starting to doubt me. Maybe you think it’s a fluke?

Fine.

Fine, I’ll do it again.

But first I have to deal with a child smaller than Recette. She’s presumably crying because she can’t afford something she wants to buy.

Hey, hey now. What’s wrong?

M-m-mmy dolly… *sniffle*

Aw… the shoulder’s been ripped.

This is my favorite… Whaa…

Hey, wait! Can you give it to me for a second?

O-okay…

Lesse, I have a little thread and a needle in my apron pocket here… And loop, loope, don’t poke myself… And done! How does that look?

It’s weird to see somebody actually giving Recette respect. Then again, it’s weird to see her being competent at something.

You’re welcome!

I need to go now! Baibai!

Hmm. Not only are you good at sign-crafting, but you have a fairly deft hand at needlework, too.

Tear is clearly thinking she should have conscripted Recette to work in a sweatshop to pay off the debt.

How about you, Tear? I bet you sew a lot of stuff!

Er.

Huh?

There is no time for dawdling… where to next?

I guess fairies aren’t very good at using big needles, huh…

Alright, third time quarter. Crunch time. Plenty of time to make all the money I need, of course.

Sure Louie. I’ll pay for your creepy cave chocolate.

Sure Guildmaster. I’ll pay for your candy stolen from a child.

Oh no, what have I done? I’ve ruined everything!

It’s all over now, I guess.

Given that I have tens of thousands in stock, you’d think she could cut Recette a break.

I am sorry, but as an agent of Terme Finance, I must now seize this house in order to repay the outstanding debt.

Wha?... No! I… I…

Some of you guys were harping on me for hating Tear. But never forget that Tear will give Recette the boot the second she fails to pay by even the tiniest amount.

And this is how it ends for Recette. At least she’s got a nice big box to sleep in. Plenty of leg room.

was crushed by the cruel bitterness of reality. Waaaahaahaaah… Why’d it have to end in a box?!

Ah well, it was a fun try, but I guess that’s the end of the LP. Clearly I’m just too horribly incompetent to properly play this game.

No Tear, I’m quite serious. I’ll just go play something else.

If I did not know better, I would say you were in a coma.

… Huh? Tear? Mmmmm… but I’m asleep… Mmmmm… Tear was just a dream, I guess… That dream seemed so real, though… I thought… I mean, I liked… … Mmm, pillow…

Oh. Well. How unexpected.

Oh! Tear! It, uh… Yeah, g’morning!

Merde. You are still half-alseep, I suspect… Recette, you are the proprietor of an item shop now. You must learn to be responsible and not sleep the day away.

You’re… right. I need to… … I don’t quite remember.

That you can seemingly be awake and asleep at the same time would be a wonder… if it did not fill me with blind, hopeless terror. Yesterday we paid our respects at the Merchant’s Guild, and then briefly opened shop. Have you already forgotten?

This sounds… oddly familiar.

Welcome to a handy little mechanic. Any time you get a game over, Recette wakes up again on Day 2, with only 1000 pix in her pocket, but with her full inventory from the previous run, any upgrades you made to the shop, all upgrades from your merchant level, which you also keep, and all stats for both adventurers and customers. I lose any unlocked dungeons and adventurers’ cards (except for special circumstances I’ll go into later).

From this day forth, we are now in business properly. The way this is going though, I fear for the future.

Eh… hehe… right… That’s… right, actually. We’re… in business, now.

… Why in the name of Heaven are you smiling so much? That smile you had while sleeping is just getting bigger.

Oh… no reason… I just… think I saw something nice in my dreams… Tear, let’s give it our all!

… Well, if you really are dedicated to making this work, wash yourself and meet me downstairs.

And so we start anew. I’ve showed off the automatic new game+, so now I won’t be doing that again.

I won’t be doing it intentionally again.

I get a nice boost to reputation with the little girl, working her way to a higher budget. The little girl has a dangerous projectile. Should I be concerned?

Tear still goes through her tutorials as I continue leveling up, but unlike the early ones, they’re properly labeled as being skippable.

Also, I totally jumped the gun and skipped this one before I realized it was a new one. The short version: customers can now show up, name an item category, tell you they want 2-4 of that item and that they want it in 2-3 days and they’ll show up to collect then.

They also still show up with their usual odd requests.

All is well in the world.

NEXT TIME: Time to redo everything I did in the first week.

Truthkeeper fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Nov 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Can't have any time paradoxes.
I have no good memories of the shop atmosphere mechanic.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

I wonder if Recette will ever swap over to accrual basis rather than cash basis in order to smooth out her revenue stream? :v:

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
quick note - just because he's in a Tavern and drinking doesn't mean he's an adult as we might define "adult" in this day and age.

Olden days there wasn't a "drinking age", there was a "time you could reach the table age". Partially because nobody cared, and partially because the beer was cleaner than the water at times and as such was safer to drink. Hell, in certain parts of the world, that still holds true.

My rough guess is he's 16, maybe up to 18 (but I really think not), possibly as young as 15...that would be MORE than "adult" age in a place that is modeled off of Olden France. Course as this is Olden AnimeNotFrance there's some serious anachronistic shenanigans going on, so who knows. He just doesn't LOOK like the other male adults in this game, nor does he look like the kids. Teen is a pretty good description for him by the looks of it.

mauman fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Nov 23, 2018

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Scalding Coffee posted:

Can't have any time paradoxes.
I have no good memories of the shop atmosphere mechanic.

If you keep your shop from being overly extravagant, you'd be able to skip certain customers. Customer.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself
I also put Louie at 16, the Standard JRPG Adventurer Age (and incidentally the legal drinking age in a lot of European countries until the 2000s). And I firmly believe the Guildmaster is doing one of those "being charitable for someone too proud to just take the money" things by buying back his own stock at a loss, and he does it all the time. Kind of a shame the merchant mechanics are at complete cross purposes to the story (cutting Louie a break because he's broke in the plot not only leaves money on the table, it can keep you from getting those Pin bonuses)!

Truthkeeper posted:

Actually, I think that third one sounds familiar. Something I played on the PSP. Might have been What Did I Do to Deserve This, My Lord?

Internet concurs on that one; I'd never heard of it! "Princess G" is Gwaelin, kidnapped by the Dragonlord in Dragon Quest 1. The "inner mind" line makes me assume Persona since these all seem to be video game references. No idea about the "wizard kidnapping people" one, though; if you squint a bit that's everything from Link to the Past to Baldur's Gate 2 to... heck, the Mario games for that matter.

Regarding the previous update, I could've sworn the last week was itself 800k, not that that was the total debt. Did that get patched or is that Game Over-induced PTSD? :sweatdrop:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Wayne posted:

Kind of a shame the merchant mechanics are at complete cross purposes to the story (cutting Louie a break because he's broke in the plot not only leaves money on the table, it can keep you from getting those Pin bonuses)!

That's capitalism, no time for morals or sympathy when there's cold hard cash to be made :colbert:

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Wayne posted:

Regarding the previous update, I could've sworn the last week was itself 800k, not that that was the total debt. Did that get patched or is that Game Over-induced PTSD? :sweatdrop:

Okay, good to have somebody else backing me up on this. I've been swearing up and down that the last week is 800k. But I can't say for certain until I get that far again, and the wiki tells me the last week is 500k, so that's what we're going with for now.

Music Junkie
Sep 30, 2012

That's right, embrace the cute. Embrace it. You know you want to.
I have never really heard of this game. I can honestly say I wasn't really expecting what it's about. Interesting concept though. On one hand, it's nice that they technically give you an out in case you don't make the necessary amount by the due date. The variety of customers, how does that work? Do you just have set ones at your level?

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
Can you just sell your stuff normally through other stores classic JRPG style? I kind of remember selling my stuff (and my kitchen sink and whatever is in my garage) just to make ends meet.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Music Junkie posted:

I have never really heard of this game. I can honestly say I wasn't really expecting what it's about. Interesting concept though. On one hand, it's nice that they technically give you an out in case you don't make the necessary amount by the due date. The variety of customers, how does that work? Do you just have set ones at your level?

So, there's a basic set of customers (old man, middle-aged housewife, middle-aged man, little girl) who represent generic people. There are three instances of each of them that only really matter for stats. There are also named unique customers, which include all the adventurers (although they son't start appearing as customers until you've met them somewhere) and a small handful of other people, like the guild master.

Your Everyday NEET posted:

Can you just sell your stuff normally through other stores classic JRPG style? I kind of remember selling my stuff (and my kitchen sink and whatever is in my garage) just to make ends meet.

This is so, you can sell any item at 50% of it's market value back to the merchant's guild, in case of an emergency.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I didn't know there was a do-over option, because I'm good at games and read the before I play entry for the game. It's nice.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I failed my first week because i forgot it was the last day and restocked my shop, taking me under the 10k needed. I had so much to sell Tear :negative:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Truthkeeper posted:

… I… … We should get home, then.

I think this is the first time it’s been established that Tear is living with Recette right now. On the one hand, this is rather sweet, Recette being so happy to have somebody, anybody, at home.

On the other hand, this means the mafia enforcer is constantly looking over her shoulder, ready to end things and seize the house the moment Recette isn’t dedicating her every waking minute to paying back the debt.[/i]
See, I always read that line as "Tear is reminded she's basically the mob, and feels really guilty about this whole situation, because the girl she's extorting won't even be mad at her about it."

Truthkeeper posted:

Rather than his bidding farewell to poverty, I fear we will be bidding farewell to him. In a casket.

Louie… you kind of remind me of… … Papa…

There’s a ringing endorsement.
:allears:

Truthkeeper posted:

Some of you guys were harping on me for hating Tear. But never forget that Tear will give Recette the boot the second she fails to pay by even the tiniest amount.

And this is how it ends for Recette. At least she’s got a nice big box to sleep in. Plenty of leg room.

was crushed by the cruel bitterness of reality. Waaaahaahaaah… Why’d it have to end in a box?!

Ah well, it was a fun try, but I guess that’s the end of the LP. Clearly I’m just too horribly incompetent to properly play this game.

Oh hey, it's the ending I got the first time I played this game! I saw it 3 times in that run, lol :downs:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Some people enjoy being in the box, like it was destiny.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Hey, Recette's got a peach tin in that box. Those things are like 2000 pix, she's rolling in dough!

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Hey don't undersell Recette's living arrangements, that image clearly shows TWO boxes to her name, she's practically living a life of luxury.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, people will often ask for books, candy, or treasures from the street market. It's an easy way to get combo broke if you just run equipment.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
John McClane would disagree regarding " Shoes aren't armor" :colbert:

At the very least, it's armor compared to no shoes at all :v:

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Truthkeeper posted:

Part 1: Another Morning in Anime Not!France

Our story starts, like so many anime before it, with our protagonist oversleeping. It also starts in media res, expecting you to just run with things until a flashback explains later what the hell is going on.

But not for long!
I feel like whatever professionalism she was trying to gain with the glasses and tie is lost with the bare midriff and miniskirt. On the plus side, at least she’s legal. Probably.

stopped reading here. I guess when you warn that the game is anime, it also it means you're going to talk like a creep. gotcha.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
You know, I think the memory based overgod is Planescape: torment.

Uh, spoilers I guess.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The only thing the pickaxe bit made me think of was Nethack. The dwarf swings his pickaxe! You die...

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Gotta Go Back, Back to the Past

Skip!

Note of course that I already have more than enough money for the first payment. “Can’t I just pay you now for this week?” “No.”

I still wasn’t fully prepared for any and all requests like I should be by now. Yes I have a hat for her, but it’s more than double the poor kid’s budget.

I ended up deciding to let her leave and not make the sale, but I wasn’t happy about it.

But she came back to place an order for food, so I guess she forgave me.

For his son, I expect.

Another successful day.

The little girl aside, the customers are leveling up to the point they can afford some decently expensive items, ramping up my profits.

Yeah I totally forgot to go out and shop before opening up, so still no.

Well that’s a very reasonable and thoughtful response. Recette still reacts same as always “Waah I screwed up I have no talent!”

Dude! The gently caress is wrong with you? You don’t just walk into a public place of business with one of those things!

For those of you unaware, this is a durian:

It’s a popular fruit in many parts of southeast Asia, considered a delicacy but most well known for smelling like sewage. This actually varies from fruit to fruit and person to person, but is common enough that they’re illegal to bring on a bus or train or into a building in many jurisdictions.

And this crazy fucker expects me to buy this from him?

I mean, of course I bought it, it’s the highest value food to show up so far.

The Guild Master’s wife sounds like a lovely person.

No. Go away.

This is one of the… weirder treasures. It’s a fishing pole. I know I complained about the Unthankful Treasure, and this one at least is worth something… but it’s a loving fishing pole.

Really, treasures in general are just hard to move.

Still a weird thing to say, but less creepy than people buying deadly weapons as presents.

Yeah sure, I’ll stop by your place tomorrow and buy them from you.

Better you than me buddy.

I’d really like to know how Tear’s grading system works. What exactly are her expectations?

I suppose I actually should go out and buy a variety of commonly requested items so I don’t have to keep turning away customers.

But I’m going to stop at the town square first.

Huh. A character with a unique sprite dressed in an unusual manner. Well, I’m sure this is just a one-off appearance and I’ll never see her again.

You walk so fast! Wait up!

I hope she manages to catch up with her sister. Poor kid doesn’t look like she’d do well if left on her own. Besides, there’s really only room for one abandoned child in this game.

That girl…

Tear, is something wrong?

Ah… no. It is nothing.

… Hey, Tear? How do you think people see us?

How do…?

Do you think we look like sisters?

You’re a normal sized human child with brown hair and a perpetual smile. Tear is a presumably normal sized adult fairy with grey hair and a perpetual stone face. Yeah, you look so much alike.

Given that I am a fairy, I rather doubt it.

Oh, right… Still, if we did, I’d be kinda happy…

Really? Why is that?

Because, to the best of her knowledge, he father is dead and she has no living family and she likes pretending that she still has somebody?

I made myself sad again.

Well, since I’m bigger, I’d be the big sister, right?

… Your logic, as always, is breathtaking in its faultiness.

Just because it’s true doesn’t mean you have to be quite that blunt.

Yeah, I guess you would be the big sister… But that’d be really nice too! Right… sis?

Hey, wait for me!

I could complain about Tear being needlessly mean… but I prefer to think that this is her feeling bad because, again, she’s enforcing the mob’s loan shark agenda here, and Recette loving loves her for it.

Alright, fine, I’ll buy some loving books. There are a lot more references here, some I get (Les Infortunes is obviously Les Miserables), and some I‘m less sure of (Wings of Eldon references Evangelion in later volumes, but I’m less sure about this one). Some aren’t at all, Le Pensuer is just a magazine abou the city they live in, Pensee. Booze of the World is a travelogue focusing on hooch, which comes with free samples.

You bet I did kid. Sorry, no candy for you, you can’t afford it.

That doesn’t really narrow it down. Luckily, orders don’t get assembled until the customer arrives, so there’s no hilarious mixups.

That ring I put in the window was a horrible mistake and I’m not sure what I was thinking. It’s out of most customers’ budgets and most of them don’t go for rings in the first place. It ends up sitting there forever.

As hilarious as selling her a copy of Booze of the World would be, she can’t afford it. She got a copy of Wings of Eldon, which I hope is a good read for a girl her age.

Didn’t your wife just make you sell me a walnut bread. Here, take it back at a markup.

Oh, Recette. I’m… tired, for some reason.

It’s nice that Recette is starting to become recognizable. Means she might be able to continue making a living after she finishes paying off Tear.

I wonder if I’m starting to get old and slow?

If you are tired, it can help to eat something sweet. Sugar stimulates your parasympathetic nervous system and energizes you.

Tear, now is not the time for your tutorial voice.

That… sounds complicated.

A-anyway! You should go eat something sweet! Like, for example… candy or canned peaches from our store! We have a lot of sweet stuff to choose from!

Recette, we have no canned peaches, because they aren’t available from the market yet. In fact, I think the only sweets he have are Louie’s cave chocolate and a candy apple.

Then again, kudos to Recette for finally getting the hang of casually advertising her place of business when she talks to people. Tear must be proud.

That does sound good… maybe I’ll go have some chocolate cake! Thanks for the advice, you two!

Aww, cake? Now I’m jealous…

I’d say go buy some cake, but Tear probably wouldn’t let you eat something you bought with company funds.

Yeah, sure, hats. You planning on bringing mommy’s credit card with you when you pick up, or shall I just pencil you in for two of the cheapest hat I can get?

Annoyingly, if I had been smart enough to pick up a bunch of books for when little girls came in looking to buy them, I’d probably have leveled her up to a higher wallet already.

Well gently caress you too Tear. The hell did you do all day?

Seriously wondering if maybe this town is made up entirely of adventurers and their families. He came in to buy a spear for her yesterday.

And so I reached day 8, again. With no need to show off the time reset mechanic, this time I’ll make the payment and move on, right?

I’m even gonna spend half the day loving around with Louie instead of going and spending any money.

This here is why I incorrectly thought he was always free. He’s free for this first trip to the Hall of Trials, and I incorrectly remembered that continuing to be the case. My bad.

Since Louie retains his levels and equipment, this run through the Hall is silly-easy, ending the same as before. Card get, yay.

It’s after that when things went wrong. First I made a series of unwise purchases from customers when I opened up shop in the third time segment.

And then there’s this rear end in a top hat.

Huh. This place isn’t nearly as nice as I thought it’d be… Can these people really get me what I need?...

Uh, excuse me…

Well, I’ve got no choice. Gotta keep striding forward. You there! Go fetch the owner of this place. I have business with him!

The owner? Well, you’re looking at her! What can I do for you?

… Surely you’re joking. Don’t waste my time, girl.

Huh? No, really, I’m the owner. Can I help you?

Uh, sir?...

You dare make a fool out of me?! You must think I’m just some idiot kid…

Well I certainly think you’re an idiot.

HeuuuWHAAA? I, uh, but…

You expect me to believe that someone as SHORT as you owns this establishment?!

Because ability to own and run a business directly correlates with height.

Y-you shut up! I AM the owner! Really!

Not that Recette is handling this much better, but to be fair, this jerk just wandered in, insulted her establishment, then insulted her. Also, again, she’s like 9. To be fair to him though, he doesn’t look any older.

Teeeear… listen, he’s being…

Merde. Some kind of problem, I assume?

No, really, you think there might be a problem? I thought Recette just picked fights with customers all the time!

… Hmmm… A fairy… interesting. Not what I expected.

Pardon?

Physically slight and at a disadvantage against larger creatures, but innately talented at administration and management… Quite possibly the only nonhuman race to easily adapt to human culture by utilizing their unique talents…

She’s still standing (well, hovering) right in front of you.

In other words, you must be the proprietor, madam fairy. Good day. I apologize for having to raise my voice at your servant.

Didn’t you just establish while yelling at Recette that short people can’t own businesses? Tear is even shorter than Recette, and therefore can’t possibly be the owner! And calling Recette a servant is kinda insulting to both of them.

Ah, well…

Now hang on just a-

It’s a pleasure to meet you, madam fairy. Caillou is my name. I am a magician by trade, and I need to place an order for some reagents.

Sadly, this is our next available adventurer. Somebody earlier thought I hate Tear, but no. I poke at Tear for funsies, I dislike Caillou but am willing to ignore him for the most part when I'm not making fun of him. There’s a character who exists for the purpose of absorbing everybody’s hatred, we’ll see her whenever she shows up.

Credit where it’s due, Caillou is awesome. He’s slow, made of glass, and has basically no offensive power once he’s out of skill points. But as long as you have fuel to keep him going, he tears through everything in his path with awesome magical might. He’s a solid contender for the best character to handle boss fights.

He’s also really loving annoying, and this thing with him not believing Recette is the owner is a running gag that gets dragged out way too much. Even when he’s acting as a source of fascinating exposition about the world, he’s so annoying arrogant that I just want Recette to punch him. I’d love the guy if he never spoke except for the purposes of answering questions.

An item order? Very well, what can we get you?

I require three items specifically. A charred lizard, a bat wing, and a slime liver. I only need one of each. There’s no need for a precise deadline, but obviously, the sooner you can provide them, the better it will be for everyone. Can I assume you will take the order?

Caillou’s requests are all from the second dungeon, which opened immediately after clearing the Hall of Trials. The first two are boss drops with annoyingly low drop rates, the third is a common monster drop. Unlike every other customer who comes in to place an order, if you already have the items, you can surprise the hell out of him by providing them immediately, and he’ll buy them on the spot. Otherwise, he’ll just show up every couple days asking if you have his stuff yet.

Naturally. We shall obtain what you need as soon as we can.

Marvelous. Well then, if you’ll excuse me…

Uh, you know, I, um…

Ah, yes, you. Look, don’t cause your boss trouble, alright? Pretending to be the owner like that will only make you look foolish.

I get it. It’s supposed to be funny because he’s the actual fool. It’s not funny, it’s just dumb.

You tell him Recette.

Now, now. There is no need to get so angry about this. It is a simple mistake, nothing more.

Tear’s just happy that somebody other than Recette showed her respect.

If it’s so simple, then why do you look so happy about it?

You, uh, clearly misunderstand me. Yes, clearly…

It wouldn’t be so bad if it wasn’t a recurring joke.

Unfortunately for Caillou, he’s going to have to wait a while for his reagents. Sort of. Not really. Time travel bullshit.

No amusing quips, this time I totally hosed up. And so back to start again. Last time, I promise. Probably.

NEXT TIME: The first week, for the third time, guest starring the second dungeon

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Calilou's response is rather amusing if you have the items on hand when he first walks in.

and you get a HUGE bonus for it (like more than enough to cover the first payment by itself).

The amount degrades each day till it finally reaches a point it won't go below.

Also, Durians are stupid good in the right adventurer's hands. I can think of 3 that really benefit from them (which Louie is one of), 2 in particular (whom we haven't met yet). Otherwise the downside ain't worth it.

My main problem with Callilou (besides being as sturdy as a wet noodle in a paper bag) is how horribly SLOW he is.

Edit - oh and Louie is still free if you have zip for cash (or he'll take what he can if you have less than his normal fee). He's essentially the game's default pick if you can't take anybody else. A good way to play early on is spend all your dosh on items and then just adventure with louie till Sunday. Then sell all of that free stuff. You'll likely make ends meat by the end of Sunday. If you're willing to savescum a little (doesn't take much) you can even get Callilou's goodies before he shows up.

mauman fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Nov 24, 2018

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013
Pretty sure the Guildmaster’s wife (She Who Must Be Obeyed) is a reference to Rumpole of the Bailey.
The anime shop game was the last place I expected to see a reference to Old British Phoenix Wright.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

That dragon book is probably a reference to Eragon.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It could be How to train your dragon.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Shinji117 posted:

Pretty sure the Guildmaster’s wife (She Who Must Be Obeyed) is a reference to Rumpole of the Bailey.
The anime shop game was the last place I expected to see a reference to Old British Phoenix Wright.

Both the game and Rumpole are referencing an earlier work, ‘She’ by H. Rider Haggard.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Truthkeeper posted:

I thought you’d be the questing time, Louie!
Type, probably.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

We can probably name plenty of stories about kids taming dragons, it was kinda a thing for a while.

mauman posted:

Calilou's response is rather amusing if you have the items on hand when he first walks in.

and you get a HUGE bonus for it (like more than enough to cover the first payment by itself).

The amount degrades each day till it finally reaches a point it won't go below.

My main problem with Callilou (besides being as sturdy as a wet noodle in a paper bag) is how horribly SLOW he is.

Caillou's really only good for boss rushes, but he's damned good for them.

I'm planning on showing it off his reaction to me having his stuff already next update, if the drop rates cooperate without too much save scumming.

Xander77 posted:

Type, probably.

Noted and fixed.

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
Just wanted to say thanks for starting this LP and all. It made me really want to try out my game again, and after a lot of save scumming and abusing the system I managed to beat the game after like, sitting on it for 3 years! Seriously, thanks a ton; I was really enjoying having my little adventuring characters running around in the dungeons and I was getting really annoyed at losing them in different loops, so I was just about to give up. Thanks for inspiring me to finish!

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Truthkeeper posted:

Teeeear… listen, he’s being…

Merde. Some kind of problem, I assume?
Wrong portrait here. :)

Really enjoying the LP, especially since your experience so far was p much like mine. I understood Tear's advice sucked fairly early on, but I still kept investing too much in stock/plot and kept missing deadlines. :shepface:.
Regarding the character you dislike most I'm not sure if you imply Alouette or Euria, they both got under my skin for different reasons. :v:

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Zedd posted:

Regarding the character you dislike most I'm not sure if you imply Alouette or Euria, they both got under my skin for different reasons. :v:

The first one is great! She'll buy things at ridiculously high prices because she doesn't know any better! The second one is infuriating because she causes me to break a chain of successful sales, every single time. (And you, too; I can't imagine the second one doesn't do that to you.)

Now that we've seen "customers wanting things", here's a "reasons for buying" and "item requested" that I particularly like:

(there is a game mechanic being displayed in the screenshot that we have not seen yet, ooooooo)

LeadSled
Jan 7, 2008

zonohedron posted:

(there is a game mechanic being displayed in the screenshot that we have not seen yet, ooooooo)

Yeah, having a pile of left handed scissors that nobody wants is a pain in the rear end, isn't it.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Zedd posted:

Wrong portrait here. :)

Really enjoying the LP, especially since your experience so far was p much like mine. I understood Tear's advice sucked fairly early on, but I still kept investing too much in stock/plot and kept missing deadlines. :shepface:.

How the hell could you hate Alouette. She singlehandedly saved my game on the 2nd week my first time. As for her personality, I saw through it immediately so she was more amusing than annoying to me.

It's probably Euria. That character can die in a fire....slowly.

Truthkeeper posted:

Caillou's really only good for boss rushes, but he's damned good for them.

I don't think he's the best for boss rushes anymore...which makes him worthless in my book. I'm looking forward about future discussions about characters. One in particular that most don't like (for good reason), but when I forced myself to play said character I realized made about 90% of the game a joke and the last bit still very manageable. :spergin:

Besides, to get him up to snuff for those boss rushes you have to level him properly for it to begin with....which is (from personal experience) not really fun. He's probably my least favorite character now.

mauman fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 24, 2018

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Truthkeeper posted:

And then there’s this rear end in a top hat.
Caillou's a character who manages to both be a giant rear end in a top hat, and (in some of his later in-town appearances) surprisingly adorable. Honestly, I kinda just want to noogie him.

...but seriously though gently caress his fetch quest, I have to run that dungeon like 4 times to get his damned items because the RNG hates me. And the items are pretty cheap, so you don't even make a profit from all the time you have to waste getting them.

Truthkeeper posted:

No amusing quips, this time I totally hosed up. And so back to start again. Last time, I promise. Probably.
:laugh:

Zedd posted:

Euria is terrible because she breaks your chain, but her cutscenes are all pretty great. Allouette is great all around because she's an idiot with too much spending money. :10bux:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Caillou certainly looks young enough to be a child. Does the guild even care about age when they hire people to do dangerous stuff or does results matter more?

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Scalding Coffee posted:

Caillou certainly looks young enough to be a child. Does the guild even care about age when they hire people to do dangerous stuff or does results matter more?

I'm fairly certain that I wouldn't deny somebody membership whom could literally light my rear end on fire with a wave of stick.

Would you?

Cal's an rear end, but he DOES back up his talk with actual skill (even if I don't care for how he plays).

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Eh, it's anime, everyone less than "matronly" or "patrician" looks like a kid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

mercenarynuker posted:

Eh, it's anime, everyone less than "matronly" or "patrician" looks like a kid

In this case, Cal actually IS a kid. Though he'd probably light you on fire if you said that to his face (or at least get annoyed) :downs: