Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Caillou certainly looks young enough to be a child. Does the guild even care about age when they hire people to do dangerous stuff or does results matter more?

Nobody cares that a 10(?) year old is being foreclosed on, running a store without any licensing, or going into the bar on the regular?

:capitalism:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I just started a new game on this (again) and...ah...want to make a bit of a forewarning to anyone playing as well. If you level up enough to unlock new sets of weapons? DON'T be buying the newest models (Like on your first-runthrough of the first week) and expect to sell them at a profit if people ask for a category of item. I just had that problem. Also louie came in to buy a weapon and I had a shiny new Steel Sword I had at the front of the store for him to buy (he still has a rusty sword). He didn't have the cash even at about a 50% discount to buy it... Have I mentioned you can get you a good level or two early on if you get a good chain going?

Kemix fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 25, 2018

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
Unfortunately, I don't like any character that can potentially make me lose 10-30 minutes worth of progress if I make more than 2 mistakes. I felt like most character besides Louie can't take hits much.

The first hated spoilered character isn't bad at all. There's just this character who only accepts with exactly 100% price unless you bump their level.

Kemix posted:

Have I mentioned you can get you a good level or two early on if you get a good chain going?

EXP for making a sale = 10
Chain bonus EXP can go up to 128 EXP
So yeah.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Your Everyday NEET posted:

Unfortunately, I don't like any character that can potentially make me lose 10-30 minutes worth of progress if I make more than 2 mistakes. I felt like most character besides Louie can't take hits much.

There's two characters that are roughly at Louie's level of defense (one slightly lower, and the other slightly higher), and one that blows him out of the water when it comes to sheer "gently caress you, ain't dying".

Also, yeah you're going to have to accept selling WAY underprice for most adventurers if you want them to own the best of the best. Only a few of them can come close to having the proper amount. Incidentally, Cal is one of them. Louie is definitely not.

mauman fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Nov 25, 2018

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Recette wanting to be sisters with a fairy is a reference to the studio's previously-made but later-translated game, Chantelise, which featured two sisters, one of whom had been turned into a fairy. It was a third-person brawler that let you gather elemental crystals (the exact model of the XP crystals in this game) to cast magic. I think there are also some books in stock later that reference it?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Your Everyday NEET posted:

The first hated spoilered character isn't bad at all. There's just this character who only accepts with exactly 100% price unless you bump their level.

EXP for making a sale = 10
Chain bonus EXP can go up to 128 EXP
So yeah.
You can buff them before sending them in. The game encourages adventuring to be a side quest.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

mauman posted:

Also, yeah you're going to have to accept selling WAY underprice for most adventurers if you want them to own the best of the best. Only a few of them can come close to having the proper amount. Incidentally, Cal is one of them. Louie is definitely not.
You can get around it for some adventurers, although not really for Louie. If a customer orders multiple items, their budget is multiplied by the number of items ordered. So, if Louie orders three swords, you can give him the most expensive one you have and two of the cheapest, sell it all for three times his budget and that way make less of a loss (or no loss at all prior to high tier items). With this method, most adventurers can be sold their highest tier item without you making a loss. I don't think it's practical to wait for such an event though, if I want to use an adventurer, I'd rather take the first chance I get at upgrading his/her equipment.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

I dunno, I'm always concerned that an adventurer will buy something technically better, but not what I want them to use, and lose the thing I sold them, so I typically bring everything with me. Not a great use of inventory space, but it makes me feel better.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

zonohedron posted:

I dunno, I'm always concerned that an adventurer will buy something technically better, but not what I want them to use, and lose the thing I sold them, so I typically bring everything with me. Not a great use of inventory space, but it makes me feel better.
if they pick out something you don't want them to have, just jack up the price to 500% and take the hit for that time slot

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012
What's really infuriating about Louie is that if your first offer is too high he'll immediately walk out without giving you a chance to go lower. And then it'll be a year and a day before he tries to buy an upgrade again. It got to the point where I'd give gear away to adventures for $1 rather than risk missing a chance to upgrade them.

As for Cal, it's been a while since I played but as I recall the deal-breaker with him is that he has to stand still while charging a shot AND release it before he can move again. If he could charge - or even just hold - a shot while moving he'd be a lot more viable.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Scalding Coffee posted:

Caillou certainly looks young enough to be a child. Does the guild even care about age when they hire people to do dangerous stuff or does results matter more?

Dude, have you even read Harry Potter? Child wizards are practically made of iron.

For some inadequately explored reason.

Seriously, I think you could put a group of U.S. Marines through Hogwarts and half of them would be dead by the end of the first year. I have no idea what makes those kids so tough but I wouldn't screw with one.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
How exactly does a slime have a liver?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Well I mean, a liver is for processing fluids and that's something they got in spades.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

how do slimes see without eyes

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

T-man posted:

how do slimes see without eyes
:eng101: they do have eyes though!

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

They don't have noses, though, so how do they smell?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Mechanical Ape posted:

They don't have noses, though, so how do they smell?

Pretty good, actually. Their very nature means they're always taking a bath.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Scalding Coffee posted:

Caillou certainly looks young enough to be a child.

I am probably never not going to read that name and not think of this brat

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
For the record, if you DO have the ingredients for Caillou, you get a cool 11.4k out of him (or at least I did) when he comes around the first time. Really good money on a new loop if you're looking to maximize your profit (though be careful about any items with +1 or higher, he takes randomly from the non + and the + items)

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Slime liver just means the slime is alive, it's a liver. As opposed to Recette's dad, he's a deader. Or maybe a deadbeater, I've never played the game so I can't be sure

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
Heavy Metal Thunder

Right then, so where were we?

Ah, right. The first week, again, again. But this time I get to sell alcohol to a minor.

Or not. It’s still outside her wallet range, and I neglected to remember to stock any other books the little girl can actually afford yet.

So I sold it to an old man instead.

“Metal things” is one of the easiest order types to fill, although it tends to get kinda iffy about what does or doesn’t count as metal. As I’m given to recall, precious metals (silver, gold, platinum) are considered a different category from regular metals.

Okay, I made twice the first week’s payment in a single day! No way I can gently caress this up again!

Swords are metal, right? This guy looks like he can probably learn to dual-wield.

She’ll be the most metal fucker in kindergarten.

Bigger swords!

There is no specific codified code of chivalry, and if there was you probably couldn’t fit it on the hilt of a sword.

I cleared the Hall again, so Caillou showed up again to be a jackass and give me his quest.

Oddly enough, even if Louie swaps out his shield for a bracelet (which occupy the same slot, because JRPG), he still has a shield to block attacks with.

Keep on telling yourself that kid.

Gee, I dunno, easy sales on the day the first payment is due sounds like a bad idea.

Your mommy hates you and probably just wanted you out of the house for a while. Especially given that she’s making you buy it out of your own allowance.

Louie is pretty well equipped, from the perspective that he’s a JRPG character wearing items with good stats. From a realistic perspective, he’s wearing leather armor with a scarf over it, a bracelet on one arm, and a newsboy cap.

This is the closest thing we have to a map of Anime Not!France. I’m curious if it actually resembles an actual bit of French coastline, but I have my doubts.

The Jade Way is the first real dungeon, which is gratifying to get to having hosed up enough to have to go through the tutorial dungeon three times. It’s fifteen levels long with boss fights every fifth level, and an option to skip out after each boss fight.

On the first level, I got a buff. For the duration of this level, my skills are half cost. These events happen infrequently, and are more often buffs for the monsters than for me.

Even though Louie can block attacks without a shield, this shield I brought along is better than his new bracelet, so I swapped it in.

Rabbits! They suck. They jump around, and Louie can’t hit them in the air. They need to be able to move in the direction they’re jumping, so pinning one against a wall makes it die quick.

I found a bomb trap! Bombs do a decent chunk of damage, but can be knocked away with attacks and have an easily visible timer.

I also found a taiyaki. Yay for found pastry.

Bees are our other new enemy in this wing of the dungeon, and they also suck (you can kinda see it off to Louie’s left). They’re small, which makes them hard to see and hit, and can paralyze your adventurer on hit, making them super slow.

Mechanical Ape posted:

How exactly does a slime have a liver?

Well you see, that’s the interesting thing. Regular slimes don’t.

But The Crowned Slime: Lord of the Slimes does (sometimes).

This boss fight is annoyingly simple. Crowned Slime will try to jump on you, get out of his way and wail on him with your sword. Every time he hits the ground, he’ll get smaller, taking more damage and moving faster. Repeat until dead.

Annoyingly, he did not drop a liver. I’ve seen some reports that the liver drop rate is modified by how many times the Slime shrinks before you kill it, but I’ve never been able to confirm that. I’ll be swinging back through several times to get the charred lizard and bat wing anyway, so it’s not like not getting it this time was the end of the world.

I could have kept going, although my inventory was full up, but I needed to cut playing around here anyway, so I called it a day. On the plus side, next time I come here I’ll be able to pick up where I left off.

See Louie? This is the proper loadout for a swordsman. Now beat up some monsters (or some rich people in dark alleys, I’m not picky) until you have enough money, then walk into the shop and buy these items.

That is the exact opposite of what I just said!

He won’t equip items he gets from an order like this, so I can’t use this as an excuse to throw the most powerful sword I’ve got at him on the cheap.

I finally managed to sell a magic ring I bought during the first iteration of week 1. But I’m still down for the day. loving up and repeating this week again is absolutely unacceptable though. Luckily, I have a decent inventory, I just need to keep the shop open all day tomorrow.

NEXT TIME: Ten more levels of Jade Way, and the second week, finally

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Do the random orders escalate in difficulty/obscurity or are they usually that general (i.e. "iron object" or "weapon" versus "blue clothes" or "slime organs")?

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

All right game, you've won me over with the accent in crownèd. Well done.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

There's basically four kinds of kinds-of-things people want: a category of thing ("weapon" or "food"), a description ("metal", "sweet", "warm"), plain/fancy/holy/sinister (something that moves the atmosphere of the shop towards plain/gaudy/light/dark, respectively), annnnnnd then there's "something rare" and "home decoration" which are infuriating and I invariably have to look up on the wiki.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
A dungeon for gathering Fur Balls. You might want to sell those immediately since they are vendor trash of no value. No value at all.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Man, I love this game and loved reading the thread in Games when it first came out translated because the Goons who did would post a lot there. And the translation is great too, especially with all the references they stuck in and the myriad different ways they had Recette answer all bubbly.

Took me forever to figure out the Pin system, but when I did, I was able to level up my store so fast. drat combo breakers though. I think I might've game overed once on the last payment, but that was before I got gud and made more pix.

Also, dungeon crawling can be tedious, but depending on the adventurer you bring in, can go by so much faster if you know how to use them right and they're actually equipped. I don't think I actually got to the end of that plot before dungeon slowdown was causing my potato of a computer problems though.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

The Update posted:

Rich customers asking for "metal things" is the most broken god drat thing in the endgame and I love it to death. Those who've played this game already should know why. because you can sell loving vending machines to people

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So what you're telling me is that the merchant's guild attaches numbered tags to common items of clothing and hopes the placebo effect is way stronger than anyone thought?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Glazius posted:

So what you're telling me is that the merchant's guild attaches numbered tags to common items of clothing and hopes the placebo effect is way stronger than anyone thought?

You mean for equipment stats?
Seems plausible. You've seen the average jRPG hero.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Mechanical Ape posted:

All right game, you've won me over with the accent in crownèd. Well done.

Actually, the king slime is "Crownéd".

So close, game. So close.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Glazius posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xq1tN9jZI80

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Truthkeeper posted:

“Metal things” is one of the easiest order types to fill

What I want to know is, what exactly is this guy even DOING such that any two random items will work so long as they're metal?

"Would you like a Magnetic Necklace and a Big Screw, or can I interest you in our Whalekiller/Vending Machine combo?"

"Eh, surprise me."

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

The Humanoid Typhoon

Alright, made it to the end of Week 1 without spending all my money and having nothing left to pay this week’s payments. Probably. It’s all about getting through Day 8.

Yeah, I think I got this. And Louie managed to buy another sword. I’m this close to being proud of him.

Success! And Recette set off another of her infinite confetti bombs to celebrate.

So this is the payment for this week. Let me see… Congratulations. Well done. I have officially received your payment for this week. Let us continue to work hard next week, as well!

Work hard? But that sounds like hard work!

Yay! I did it! I’m counting on you next week too, Tear!

And so Week 1 finally, finally, for the very last time, came to a close. And as Week 2 finally begins, a shadow falls over the town as a dark figure stands over it.

That insolent little plebeian’s shop which is the focus of so much rumor! My, my, it’s so… common. So dirty. So dull. How DOES that little prole get people to come in? I wonder… Well, no matter! This is the perfect opportunity to show that little shrew, and this whole city, what a truly elegant shop is like!

There is a young rich girl laughing fiendishly. We may be reaching peak anime.

And another fairy.

S... Silence, you insolent fairy! It’ll be mine EVENTUALLY! That’s practically the same thing!

Well, I’m sure nothing of consequence is going to come of that and we can probably ignore these strange people. I’m running a business here, I don’t have time to learn the backstory of every freak and weirdo who walks in my door, let alone the ones who don’t come to the shop.

Alright, Day 9 start! Another perfectly normal beautiful day.

Just need to lay out a few more items for sale in my perfectly normal shop where nothing interesting is afoot at all.

Something’s certainly astounding, I’ll give her that.

The best way to learn about your foe is direct infiltration, after all! And with strategic espionage ability such as this, I can’t fail!

Good work Snake, now proceed to the extraction point.

Hmm… the interior decoration is as seedy and plebeian as the outside…

Oi! Words can hurt kid! Although I haven’t bothered doing any decorating myself, so technically she’s insulting Tear, not me.

This place will look far worse once I start decorating it.

…which means their selection of items must be astounding! What could it be?! What sort of thing could that filthy prole sell?! Perhaps some kind of black and white animal, the ownership of which violates international treaties? Perhaps the most delicious apples this side of the Mer d’Blanc?

If these are references, they went right over my head.

Perhaps… one of those books Father says I’m too young to read?...

I do sometimes stock that book that comes with alcohol, so she's not exactly wrong.

Uuuuuummmmm...

Oh be quiet, whoever you are! You are interrupting my train of thought!

Uh, could you come out of the box, maybe, at least? It looks kind of weird on the floor here…

!

But!... That means!...

...Uh...

…Well then!

Cue evil noblewoman laugh again.

In all honesty, I shouldn’t be surprised by this. I should have expected a foe as canny as you to break through my otherwise impenetrable stealth techniques!

Okay?...

This confirms it! You are indeed worthy of being my rival!

Heuuuwha? Rival?!

Poor Recette. Just got out of bed and ready for work and having to put up with this poo poo first thing.

Ah, I have failed to introduce myself, of course! I am the owner of the monolithic item store chain, “Big Bash”! …Well, to be specific, I am the owner’s only child and inheritor. Alouette is my name. Remember it. Everyone around me calls me “Young Mistress Alouette”, but you, o my rival, shall have the privilege of calling me “Lady Alouette”.

I’d call her Louie if we didn’t already have one. She can be Al.

Al is very annoying, but she has two saving graces: she’s rich and stupid. Al will quite cheerfully pay up to twice what an item is actually worth, if I’m not fishing for bonus XP.

Uh... “Big bash”?

And she’s terribly confusing poor Recette.

Tear, despite clearly hovering next to Recette when this conversation started, has apparently not paid the slightest bit of attention up until now.

billion pix, and a yearly gross profit of five hundred billion.

It’s Walmart. With Amazon boxes apparently.

Oh, Tear!

I heard the commotion and came to see what was happening, but… why are the two of you discussing Big Bash?

I’m, uh, not really sure…

Interesting, you also have a fairy!

Huh?

Prime!

drat it, Amazon’s slipping their advertising into my vidyas now! First the box, and now telling me to get Prime!

Or it could just be the name of a fairy.

... Oh, uh, “mistress”, I see your attempt at infiltration failed.

W-what’re you talking about?! Their superior detection abilities simply caught me off guard and overwhelmed my cardboard, that’s all!

That’s... A fairy!

…Nothing gets past you Recette.

Daaang, this one sure is sharp You got a problem with that, kid? I mean, you hang out with one too, so what’s the big deal? Call me Prime. You could say I’m Alou- er, the mistress’s guardian.

The big deal is that Recette’s fairy is pressing her into service to pay off a possibly illegal loan under threat of eviction. So far, we’ve met two fairies, and fifty percent of them have been morally dubious. I can’t blame Recette for exercising appropriate caution.

Prime is sort of the opposite of Al. She’s entertaining and a great character… but I hate when she comes in to shop. Prime is brilliant when it comes to knowing the value of an item, pinches every penny she can, and is more likely than any other character to argue against an offered price that she’ll then take if it’s offered again. She’s not the biggest headache or the worst bane to my sales chain XP, but she’s up there.

Uh, well… I’m Recette, and this is Tear. It’s nice to meet you!

Mmm.

Yeah, real pleasure to meet you too, bookworm.

Eh?... Are you, by chance, referring to me?

Pssh! Like there’s anyone ELSE here I’d call that?

A fair point. I’m only half certain that Recette knows how to read, and Alouette probably has people to read things for her.

...Well, the pleasure is all mine, then.

Alright, mistress, we’ve introduced ourselves, so how about we head on home now?

What are you talking about?! I haven’t finished introducing HALF of the fantabulastic, amazing incredibleness that is Alouette, Inheritor of Big Bash!

Pssh, if we stick around for that, we’ll be here all week. Come on now, we’re going home!

It doesn’t say or specifically show Prime yanking her out the door, but that’s my head canon and I’m sticking to it.

Enjoy your happy, carefree days as long as you can! For when I am through with you…

... So... uh… What do you think all that was about?

That... Was not dissimilar to meeting a hurricane in human form…

Yeah. Yeah that was certainly a thing that just happened. But let’s ignore all that craziness in favor of our usual brand of craziness. SHOPPING!

Treasures scale up in price much faster than other item categories. I can buy these gaudy monstrosities, but most of my customers won’t have the budget for them, even on the rare occasion they actually want a treasure.

A lot of books end up getting sequels.

The market has started listing vitamins, but not actually stocking them. All types of Ferromin increase an adventurer’s max HP and are worthwhile investments in the late game.

But the real reason I went to the market today was to spend a little money renovating the shop. Luckily, installing new wallpaper and floors is an instant process that requires no special skills or time, and if you don’t like it your old wall and floor are available to instantly put back in. On the downside, you can’t actually see what these options look like before you buy them or know what effects they’ll have on the shop atmosphere.

I can usually ignore the bizarre perspective in here until I actually start looking at the walls.

There we go! I am a master of interior design!

NEXT TIME: The second and third wings of Jade Way.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Making the shop look good enough to attract the sort of people you want is such a crapshoot anyway and all you have is a blurb to describe it. It is also needlessly complicated if you dig deep enough. I got the best looking one and the people hated it. A patch to address it would help.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

Truthkeeper posted:

Perhaps… one of those books Father says I’m too young to read?...

I do sometimes stock that book that comes with alcohol, so she's not exactly wrong.

This game is surprisingly unwholesome. One could easily imagine a trashy light novel harem plot happening just off screen.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Ah yes, the perfect interior for a shop with deals out of this world. :downsrim:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Recette's shop is truly a universe of savings

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

You'll be star-struck by the savings!

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

You'll be able to find stellar discounts in her shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

This line of comments about savings amuses me greatly, because mechanically, the star wallpaper makes the shop look dark and gloomy, while the bright-rear end flagstone floor makes it look more expensive and high-end. This kind of atmosphere helps to draw in the next two adventurers I'll be unlocking once they're available. Sadly, one of those two will be Caillou.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Making the shop look good enough to attract the sort of people you want is such a crapshoot anyway and all you have is a blurb to describe it. It is also needlessly complicated if you dig deep enough. I got the best looking one and the people hated it. A patch to address it would help.

Now this is interesting. I've only ever tangentially bothered with shop atmosphere, a few points here and there to draw in specific people. Care to say more on the problems with it?

Montegoraon posted:

This game is surprisingly unwholesome. One could easily imagine a trashy light novel harem plot happening just off screen.

Considering that like half the female cast is very underage girls, I would be very uncomfortable with that.