Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TitanG
May 10, 2015

ChrisBTY posted:

Nice Dragon Quest III reference there.

Also I absolutely love this game and am sad I can't find any other game to scratch this itch.

Have you checked Moonlighter? It has a similar idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

The dungeons and how much focus shifts to them were my least favorite part of this, I legit just wanted a rpg shop sim. :(

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

There's plenty of plot in the dungeons, including most of the post-game. But you can clear the main game (pay off the loan) without ever going back to the dungeons after the tutorial.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Avalerion posted:

The dungeons and how much focus shifts to them were my least favorite part of this, I legit just wanted a rpg shop sim. :(

I basically ignored the dungeons after the early part of the game when I played, and I paid off the loan first try.

Admittedly I'd been warned about the haggling system by a friend complaining about how Tear was a useless teacher.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.

The Lone Badger posted:

And this is where the Capitalism comes in. The Recettear Corporation provides the funding (capital) required to explore dungeons, and in return they take everything found in the dungeon. The adventurer gets a flat salary, and the excess value they produce goes entirely to the capitalist. Who isn't even risking their life.

Let's face it, though, a dingleberry like Louie isn't going to be seizing the means of production anytime soon.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
My understanding of the dungeons is that they are only efficient very early in the game, once you're past the first week, you're better of ignoring them. That said, it's not at all hard to have more than double the money you need to pay for the weekly payoff, so you can afford to do some dungeon runs anyway.

Anyway, it seems to me like the adventurers would have been better off partnering up with each other and take turns doing the monster fighting and being safe in the force-field, then just split the loot 50/50. I have no idea why they need the merchants.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Crystalgate posted:

My understanding of the dungeons is that they are only efficient very early in the game, once you're past the first week, you're better of ignoring them. That said, it's not at all hard to have more than double the money you need to pay for the weekly payoff, so you can afford to do some dungeon runs anyway.

Anyway, it seems to me like the adventurers would have been better off partnering up with each other and take turns doing the monster fighting and being safe in the force-field, then just split the loot 50/50. I have no idea why they need the merchants.

Agreed comrade.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
You can ignore the dungeons entirely after the tutorial. They help in getting some more valuable stock for you shop, but it's not necessary to go through them at all.

With that said, if you ignore Tear's horrible tutorial, manage your time efficiently, and make as much progress as you can through the dungeons, you can complete all the plot that revolves around them long before you have to pay off the remainder of the debt in the final week, while being able to pay off the entire debt easily.

Also they're the other big reason why Tear's advice is so horrible. Increasing your merchant level also gives you some really good perks while you're dungeoneering. Haggling not only makes the shop harder to manage, it'll also make dungeon treks a bigger pain since you won't be able to carry as much loot, or identify most of the monster drops. (Also the drop rates from monsters suck in this game. Apparently they range from like 1% to 5%, with 5% being the rate for the more common drops.) :argh:

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Nov 13, 2018

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The really good stuff also require a ton of those rare materials.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Xander77 posted:

Goddamit, you can just loan adventurers gear as you head into the dungeon? This could have saved me so much frustration (back in 2010).

Yes, but their old gear now takes up slots in your bag.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The fact that their old gear takes up space in your bag is why getting them to equip the good stuff on a permanent basis is so nice, and why I wish I had a "IT'S A loving PRESENT JUST TAKE IT" button.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

MechaCrash posted:

The fact that their old gear takes up space in your bag is why getting them to equip the good stuff on a permanent basis is so nice, and why I wish I had a "IT'S A loving PRESENT JUST TAKE IT" button.

That doesn't sound like proper capitalism to me... :mad:

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
I'm guessing Louie is the only character that attacks in an arc?

Couldnyou just save scum should you got wiped out in a dungeon? Save before adventuring and load the save if you got KOed.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

azren posted:

That doesn't sound like proper capitalism to me... :mad:

It's just investing in a tool to reap greater returns later, man.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Your Everyday NEET posted:

Couldnyou just save scum should you got wiped out in a dungeon? Save before adventuring and load the save if you got KOed.

I mean you could.

But dungeon trips, especially later on, are not particularly quick or painless.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

MechaCrash posted:

Not only that, if things go sour in the dungeon the upgraded gear is one of the things you have to choose to take back, or not.

Anyway, fun capitalism fact: unlike in real life, where a price can be so low people are suspicious they're getting value for money, in a video game there's no selling price so low that people won't gladly pay it.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.

MechaCrash posted:

As much fun as evil capitalist fatcat Recette memes are, I blame Tear for this. Recette's all "You're such a big help I'd like you to have this so you'll be better protected from the slimes!" and Tear swoops in all "NO! ADVENTURERS PAY FULL PRICE!"

Your Everyday NEET posted:

Yep. Each adventurer is limited to one kind of weapon, with swords being Louie's thing. There are characters who have much better range, some who are much faster, and some who can rain death from the sky, swinging in an arc is really all he's got.

And I really wouldn't call it save scumming, it's an intended mechanic. If you try to drop a save in a dungeon, it saves your progress at the time you entered and you start again from there. The drawback is losing as much as a couple hours of dungeon crawling progress (later dungeons get loving long if you try to marathon them).

Glazius posted:

Anyway, fun capitalism fact: unlike in real life, where a price can be so low people are suspicious they're getting value for money, in a video game there's no selling price so low that people won't gladly pay it.

To be fair, there's only one brand of products, every worn sword, ham sandwich, and raincoat is the same as every other worn sword, ham sandwich, and raincoat. More on that fun subject later when we get to why that is.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

FoolyCharged posted:

It's just investing in a tool to reap greater returns later, man.

Returns.... later?

That's pinko talk, young man!

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Tear's bad tutorial advice and recette's difficulty in efficiently upgrading the adventurer's equipment is clearly a commentary on modern corporatism.

The small business owner is tricked or forced into a path where they sacrifice massive long term profit in order to produce marginal short term profit increases.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

TitanG posted:

Have you checked Moonlighter? It has a similar idea.

No I haven't.
Now if you'll excuse me I have to...
Buy a video game...
For the Nintendo Switch.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Truthkeeper posted:

Yep. Each adventurer is limited to one kind of weapon, with swords being Louie's thing. There are characters who have much better range, some who are much faster, and some who can rain death from the sky, swinging in an arc is really all he's got.

Louie is the only character that uses swords, but he's not the only one who swings in an arc. There's another character much later who swings in an arc, and the swings are fast, but the range on those swings is pretty small.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

MechaCrash posted:

Louie is the only character that uses swords, but he's not the only one who swings in an arc. There's another character much later who swings in an arc, and the swings are fast, but the range on those swings is pretty small.

This is a fair point, I just never really got used to playing him.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

As far as I remember, Louie isn't exactly free. He still has a fee like every other adventurer, but if Recette can't afford it he'll do her a solid and lower/waive it for her.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The price should be set in stone. It is upgrading them each time that makes them expensive.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
This game will make you hate little girls. Just saiyan. They have so little cash and like to pick out the stuff they can’t buy even with a steep discount.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Ignore Tear and play Wal-Mart style and they'll quickly be grabbing enchanted diamonds for daddy.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Like I said, set your prices to 104-105% on sales and 70% on buys- you'll never miss a Pin or Near Pin, and even the little girl will be dropping national economies on your junk stuff.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Tear Hates Poor People

Alright, adventuring slave partner obtained, tutorial dungeon beaten, lots of vendor trash put up for sale.

I’m sure somebody out there needs that slime fluid.

Shop’s surprisingly popular with clones of the old man today. There are specific events where your shop will be filled with dozens of one character type, but that’s down the road still.

Louie noted my insistence that he needs a hat and came to get one, I’m actually kind of proud of him. But more annoyed that I only have this thing and not a proper helmet for him. But better to have any upgrade at all than nothing.

Yes I am Tear. Now please don’t say anything else.

Hehe… you think so?

There is one other matter, however. You cannot always be certain that a customer will know what they want when they come in.

Yeah, I leveled up again, so it’s time for another tutorial. These will thankfully become less frequent as Tear runs out of things to teach me.

What do you mean?

They may come in thinking “what should I make for dinner?”, “What would be a good weapon?”, and so forth. They will not be quite sure what exactly they wish to purchase when they come through our door. In such a case, we must provide them with advice to help them decide.

Tear keeps using that word ‘we’ for things that she expects Recette to do while she kicks back and reads fairy gossip rags in the corner.

W-wait, how could I do…

Many customers will simply give up if they do not find something suitable for their needs on our counters. Others, however, will realize that we may have reserve stock, and will inquire as to whether or not we have something they seek.

Some customers are blind idiots and will ask for something that’s clearly sitting on the sale counters.

That is when you may suggest an item you think they would like. In a sense, it is a chance to show your ultimate skill as an item-shop keeper – if you know what someone desires, you will very likely impress them and cause them to return.

Okay so I (and a lot of other people) overstated the issue with customers wallets in our griping. Normally, a customer’s budget won’t impact a sale, because customers on their own won’t pick out something they can’t afford. This mechanic is where the actual problem is. A customer will ask for an item category (an actual category like ‘swords’, a more general category like ‘weapons’, or a descriptive category like ‘something to keep warm’, and you have to provide an item that fits. They’ll accept any item that fits the request, even if they can’t afford it, and it’s your fault if your reasonable request price breaks the bank. And of course the game never actually tells you what a customer’s budget is, it’s up to you to figure that out yourself. It does tell you when their budget increases via some hearts floating above their head, but that’ s only helpful if you play video games like I do with a wiki open on your other monitor at all times. This is why we hate that little girl with such passion.

The other issue here is that customers can request any category, and if you don’t have it, too bad, lost sale. So in order to maximize XP gain, at this point the game expects you to have a couple of everything in stock. Which is still all kinds of not gonna happen with my meagre liquid assets.

Yeek… no pressure then, none at all…

Well, let us give it a little practice, shall we?

I swear to God Tear, I will put a loving bucket on you. Is it too late to start screaming “I don’t believe in fairies!”?

It is no different from a normal sale, really, beyond the fact that you must choose the item to sell yourself. Let us begin.

And yet here we are, with you insisting Recette needs to practice it.

Kay-kay! Welcome!

I would like a sword please.

…Sooooo… anything is okay, as long as it’s a sword?

Ultimately, you must pick something the person would like. By the way, if I may give you a little advice:

Why stop now, other than the player staring at the screen repeating “Shut up Tear” over and over again?

If you sell weapons and armor to your adventurer friends, they will equip the items you sell them. Meaning, of course, that if you sell items to them, we do not need to lend them any items at the start of a dungeon excursion, and will be able to bring back more items for our own use.

Even if I was a new player, I would have figured that out by now Tear.

Even if an adventurer must… “retreat” while in a dungeon, the equipment is not lost, since it is in their possession. So selling better equipment to our adventuring friends is a good idea… even if you must undersell to them a little. Accessories work the same way, so think carefully about who you sell what to, and what effect it may have on their performance.

I complain about Tear a lot, I realize, but I have to admit this is really good advice. If Louie comes in asking for a sword, he gets the best drat +5 Holy Avenger I’ve got, no money down.

If he comes in asking for a bow, he gets a slap across the face. Followed by the cheapest bow I’ve got at full price, because I’m at least gonna milk that XP bonus from him.

Whoaaa… I hope I can keep track of all this.

If you look at the details of an item when selling to one of our adventuring friends, you can also check what that person currently has. Now then! We should continue.

Affirmatification!

Normally when loading your inventory, it always starts on the first page, which is swords. To gently caress with you, it starts on clothes for this tutorial.

I still want to know where Tear keeps getting these practice swords from. Steel swords are worth a lot right now and we’d be better off actually selling that thing than pretending to sell it to Tear over and over.

Don’t I wish we had, that’s more money than I’ve got, more than anything in my actual stock is worth.

Then we did it again.

No, please, thank you.

And now we begin the main bulk of the game: Recette’s slow slide into retail purgatory, from which there is no escape, because Tear will take her house away if she fails.

Swear to God Louie ends up showing up every time I open for the next three days. It’d be loving creepy for him to be attracted to Recette, so I will instead head-canon that he has a thing for Tear’s bare-midriffed professional outfit.

Also, as it happens, I did not have any food. Should have gone shopping and stocked up on some of the common request items. Which I went to do after this store cycle.

Whereupon I ran into this fine lady at the market.

Is something wrong, ma’am?

Oh, just wondering what to do for dinner tonight.

Why not buy some fine… whatever I’m about to have Recette buy? You don’t mind watching somebody buy something here, walking to a completely different store, and then buying that item at a higher price, do you?

For some reason, the only thing that comes to mind is what I usually make.

What do you usually make, then?

loving Not!France and their Not!French food. Who the hell gratins a loving shark? Or mutton? Or loving pumpkin?

I think I see the problem.

If I may interject? If you like gratin so much, why not try a stew? They are somewhat similar.

Gratin is food with a breadcrumb or cheese crust browned under a broiler. Stew is meat and vegetables slow cooked in liquid served with the cooking liquid. They’re not really anything alike. Tear is applying her skill at giving bad advice to cooking advice now.

I also find pumpkin stew irresistible, but that is, ah, beside the point.

I don’t think you’re going to score a dinner invite Tear.

Pumpkin stew?... That’s a wonderful idea! I’ll try it tonight!

I’m glad we could help!

Thank you so much, you two! Now to make stew for the next month!

…That was not quite what I had in mind.

That was weird, but oddly fitting with how weird the people in this town are.

Also, let’s talk for a second about that sign in the background. We can’t see the whole thing, but the part that we can see appears to be written in Greek for some odd reason. The part I can read is coming out to -Opsa-san. I’m not prepared to offer an opinion on if there’s a joke in there I’m missing, what language that joke might be in, or why the hell there’s a sign in Greek in the middle of Not!France.

I blew all my liquid assets on more stock. Money in your pocket doesn’t do you any good in this game, you’re almost always better off spending as much as you can, preferably on the most expensive stuff that still falls into your customers’ budgets. On the other hand, when it gets close to time to pay off Tear, this strategy can get awfully risky if you don’t manage to sell enough items quickly enough.

Louie’s back, buying a helmet. Thankfully, the game can mostly (with some exceptions) keep track of whether an item is an upgrade, so Louie isn’t going to replace his higher-defense hat with this just because it’s a helmet.

Didn’t make a lot of sales, and came out in the red for the day overall, but I have enough items in stock to make some decent money tomorrow.

Another day, another dollar… well, no dollars, Recette isn’t getting paid for this.

Ours is not to question why, ours is but to make a tidy profit off of your need for antivenom. Also, it’s a +1 item, so I get a slight boost to reputation with the old man. Also hit the price point and got the 30 XP Just bonus.

This is what I was talking about before. Old man walks in, blatantly ignores the apple sitting on a shelf in front of the window, walks up to Recette, and asks if she has any food.

Then Louie showed up again and bought a spear.

Yes, it’s a spear, shut up.

It was around this point that I accepted that Louie is showing up more than I usually see him, and decided to buy a few expensive Louie-equippable items to try and shuffle over to him. Even if somebody else buys them, that’s still money in the piggy bank.

Once you’ve befriended an adventurer, it’s pretty usual to run into a few cutscenes with them in various parts of town. Such as running into Louie wandering around the town square.

Yes!... … No.

Huh? That’s Louie!

What in the name of Heaven is he searching for over there?

Hey, let’s go ask!

Why do I get the feeling that I would much rather not get involved…

Because you’re a horrible person incapable of doing good deeds that don’t benefit you or your company?

Oh! Recette! Tear! What’s up?

What ARE you doing, wandering around here?

Ah, well, I got hungry so I decided to take a look and see if I could find some edible grasses or herbs or something!

You would have had lunch money if you hadn’t decided you desperately needed a spear you don’t know how to use.

Why… does this not surprise me in the slightest…

Because you know Louie’s perpetually broke?

But, uh… I’m not sure which of these are edible, y’see…

You can eat those, but they taste best if you clean them. Now, the plants with the soft leaves, at the east end of the plaza? Those taste the best! You should try them.

…How is it that you know so much about edible plants? Especially ones located here of all places?

…Tear. You really couldn’t connect the dots there? You seriously need to ask why the orphaned child with no money needed to figure out which easily accessed plants she could eat?

I am simultaneously angry and sad.

Ehehe!

Recette puts up a brave front, but her life is pretty loving bad.

Thanks a ton, Recette! I owe you again!

No problem! Remember to wash what you find!

Why do I feel as if that is the least of his concerns?

And there’s Tear making GBS threads all over the poor.

Well, that was loving depressing. Let’s head over to the church, only good things happen in churches, right?

…Seriously dude, this is getting a little creepy now. Combined with how often you’ve been hanging around the shop, I’m starting to think you’ve got a problem.

Hi there, Louie!

You are actually in the chapel. I am struck dumb.

Well, even I gotta be a little faithful every now and then.

As I said, struck dumb.

Could you stop making GBS threads on the guy for two seconds Tear? He’s a valuable adventuring companion, and a disturbingly regular customer.

I’m surprised, too!

Yeah, I was praying for Heaven to provide me with lunch.

The plants in the square didn’t sit right, I’m guessing.

Somehow… I feel as though that’s not the main purpose of a chapel.

The guy’s so poor he needs to rummage through public spaces for edible plants to eat, and you don’t think he should be praying for his situation to improve?

Uh, you think so?...

Well, that’s just even more depressing. Recette’s life is terrible, Louie’s life is terrible, Tear is terrible. Time to distract ourselves from all this terrible with some retail therapy.

You know you life sucks when your soul sucking retail job that pays you literally nothing is a step up.

I guess the right thing to do would be to spot him the apple. It’s a cheap item that I can afford to give up and it would make his day.

Nah.

CAPITALISM HO!

Some poor sap came in asking for a treasure. Good news is that I have one. Better news is that nobody ever refuses, no matter how lovely an item you offer them. Bad news is that it’s drat near worthless.

Going out at night is hit or miss. There are some cutscenes you can only see at night, so you have to do it sometimes to get everything. On the down side, the Market and Chapel are both closed (so is the guild, but it’s not like there’s time to go adventuring anyway).

Indeed. It would be best to return home quickly. This is a dangerous time for a girl to be wandering about.

Some actual good advice from Tear.

Right! A cute girl like me could end up in all kinds of peril!

And Recette actually being smart and sensible. Everybody’s out of character all of a sudden!

And Tear’s being a bitch again. Status quo restored, all is well with the universe.

Ehehe… well, don’t sweat the small stuff. C’mon, homeward ho!

Given how small Tear looks in the shop, and that she flies, mistaking her for a human child would take some serious beer goggles.

Oh Heaven! A hoodlum!

… You know what? I’m happier that Recette doesn’t actually know the bad things that could happen to her. Her life’s so lovely already, I’d be concerned if she was actually aware.

Who is there?! Show yourself!

And Tear’s prepared to fight them off with… presumably harsh language, although for all I know Fairy Kung Fu could be a thing.

Oh good, it’s just the creepy old man who hangs around Recette’s home and buys things he doesn’t need and gives her sweets. No cause for alarm here at all.

Thank goodness. I was about to call a gendarme.

With an appearance like his, that’s not unreasonable!

Now that’s just cruel.

Very much so. You know what else is cruel? Leaving the little orphan girl and her fairy companion alone on the street at night and expecting them to make their own way home instead of walking them there.

Bah, screw home, bar’s open! Does this seem like the kind of town with a legal minimum drinking age?

What is it?

Say, Tear? Is alcohol yummy?

I have only tried it once before, myself.

Really? Wow, you’re so grown up, Tear!

Yes, in that she is literally a grown up. She’s wearing a tie and everything!

I hated it. It stank of barrels…

Barrels?...

Typically, most alcoholic beverages are left to age in barrels… so the drink had a strong wooden smell, and it was not dissimilar to attempting to drink a tree.

So maybe try not drinking barrel-aged hard liquor?

… Okay, that doesn’t sound yummy at all.

Then again, considering Recette’s characterization, there won’t be any drinks sweet enough for her until alcopops are invented.

To be honest, the popularity of the substance baffles me. It always sells well, so stocking it is always a good way to make some money, but…

This would be good advice, if I was able to buy alcohol in this game. Well, I sorta can, but not really. You’ll see later.

But, barrels!

… Barrels…

Did a barrel kill your mother or something Tear? I don’t like whiskey either, but this is bordering on a grudge or something.

Another day gone, more money… lost to stocking up. I totally know what I’m doing, it’s fine. Everything’s fine.

NEXT TIME: The end of week 1 means its time to write a check.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

quote:

Even if an adventurer must… “retreat” while in a dungeon, the equipment is not lost, since it is in their possession. So selling better equipment to our adventuring friends is a good idea… even if you must undersell to them a little. Accessories work the same way, so think carefully about who you sell what to, and what effect it may have on their performance.

The rare and mythical good advice from Tear.

Inventory space is at a premium during dungeon treks, so every little bit helps. It can be worth undercutting prices just to get some good equipment on someone (Or driving someone away if they try to go for a downgrade) unless it'll cost you with the debt.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Oh heck yeah, Recettear LP. Love this game, even if I never finish it because the later dungeons are tedious bullshit and getting any of the high-tier fusion weapons or armor is *excessively* tedious bullshit..

I have a bit of a bad habit when playing this, that is, missing the debt total for the week by about 150pix because I accidentally splurged a little too much on the new shiny weapons in the shop. (Or accidentally forgot that only Louie is free.)
"I literally have 49,000 of the 50,00 payment, and my shop is full to the brim with items worth several thousand each, can't you take one of those instead?"
"No, gently caress you, go live on the street."

My first time 'round, I did get duped by Tear's bullshit tutorials, though, and repeatedly failed due to breaking my chain.

Omobono posted:

Bigger budget is an understatement.
One of the most hated customers is the grade school little girl, because she has an allowance of like 100 pix and she will try to buy the 10k pix sword she can't afford and thus break your combo.
Level her up and she'll buy a 100k gold chalice as a gift to grandpa on her allowance. Actually buy, with actual cash flowing into Recette's coffers.
I never understood the hatred for the little girl. Stock up on a bunch of candy. She will, without fail, buy some candy every time you open the shop. Level her budget up to insane levels within days. She and the old man are my best customers.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Getting Adventurers to equip items you want can be such a pain in the rear end.
It is the worst thing in this game yes. This game really should have had a "recommend" or "gift" or "please for the love of god take the fancy god drat dagger it has been sitting in this shop for 3 weeks" mechanic.

Slaan posted:

Louie was the only adventurer I was really able to use. None of the others seemed as easy to use.
My first run through of the game I used Charme a lot, primarily because A: She had the ability to run, and dungeons are such a dang slog, and B: She was the only one who bought her damned weapon.

Crystalgate posted:

My guess is A: Regulations™, and B: the Merchants are the only ones who can supply them with high-end gear, and anyone caught trying to get one over on them would find themselves blacklisted. Union politics are cutthroat.

Truthkeeper posted:

As much fun as evil capitalist fatcat Recette memes are, I blame Tear for this. Recette's all "You're such a big help I'd like you to have this so you'll be better protected from the slimes!" and Tear swoops in all "NO! ADVENTURERS PAY FULL PRICE!"
loving faeries! :argh:

Truthkeeper posted:

Okay so I (and a lot of other people) overstated the issue with customers wallets in our griping. Normally, a customer’s budget won’t impact a sale, because customers on their own won’t pick out something they can’t afford. This mechanic is where the actual problem is. A customer will ask for an item category (an actual category like ‘swords’, a more general category like ‘weapons’, or a descriptive category like ‘something to keep warm’, and you have to provide an item that fits. They’ll accept any item that fits the request, even if they can’t afford it, and it’s your fault if your reasonable request price breaks the bank. And of course the game never actually tells you what a customer’s budget is, it’s up to you to figure that out yourself. It does tell you when their budget increases via some hearts floating above their head, but that’ s only helpful if you play video games like I do with a wiki open on your other monitor at all times. This is why we hate that little girl with such passion.
Everything else there is correct, but it's not that customers will only pick something that matches their budget, it's that their budget isn't calculated at all when it comes to items on the shelves. I've had housewives come in and ask for my <<+5 Sword of Demon Smiting>>, and gladly pay the cost, and then the next day turn up their nose at me for the sheer gall of breaking their budget by offering them a moderately priced <<Bowl of Pot Roast>>.

Truthkeeper posted:

Is something wrong, ma’am?

Oh, just wondering what to do for dinner tonight.
Wrong face on the second one.

Truthkeeper posted:

Did a barrel kill your mother or something Tear? I don’t like whiskey either, but this is bordering on a grudge or something.
I'm going to imagine this is a roundabout joke about faeries in zelda getting shoved into bottles. Tear doesn't like them because she tried to tutorialize to the bartender about proper shelf optimization, and he shoved her in the nearest empty barrel for an hour or two.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy

Truthkeeper posted:

I think it's a reference to the Mana Khemia games? They're known for having many, many different audio clips of the word "barrel".

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Meanwhile it made me think of Star Ocean 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CbZ6z4HDeg

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I like to think that the reason Louie keeps coming to Recettear is because he knows that you know he's broke but honest, and won't have security shadowing him constantly while he's in the store. And you might even swing him a friend discount! And hey, worst case, you helped him out in the dungeon, so he'll help you out in business!

As for keeping money on hand, keeping at least some cash so you can buy poo poo off customers is useful, otherwise your chain breaks when they come up to sell you that precious family heirloom ham sandwich.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

DeathChicken posted:

Meanwhile it made me think of Star Ocean 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CbZ6z4HDeg
Same here.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

MaskedHuzzah posted:

I think it's a reference to the Mana Khemia games? They're known for having many, many different audio clips of the word "barrel".

It's actually a running gag in all the Atelier games as far as I know and yeah, given the localization team I'm pretty sure that's a nod to that particular series.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Barrels: A Staple of Video Games Everywhere

hire me barrel lobby

Also this is AnimeNotFrance, not NotFrance, so cooking with shark is entirely reasonable.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

MechaCrash posted:

I like to think that the reason Louie keeps coming to Recettear is because he knows that you know he's broke but honest, and won't have security shadowing him constantly while he's in the store. And you might even swing him a friend discount! And hey, worst case, you helped him out in the dungeon, so he'll help you out in business!

Also he probably considers Reccette and Tear his only friends, so he just defaults to hanging out with them by browsing the store. Which is not helping his money trouble at all but "They Like Me" is a motivator that should never be underestimated.

And yeah, that cutscene with Reccette helping Louie learn edible food gather points is pretty god-damned :negative:

With regards to hilariously overpriced apples, when I played this I just assumed that a "Pix" was the fantasy equivalent of a $.01 cent piece. Throwing a decimal point after the hundreds place makes the prices slightly more sensible. ($1 unthankful statues? Yes. $3 Apple? Still hosed, but much less so. $300 Steel Sword? If we assume mass-production, might be closer to reasonable.)

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Truthkeeper posted:

Swear to God Louie ends up showing up every time I open for the next three days. It’d be loving creepy for him to be attracted to Recette, so I will instead head-canon that he has a thing for Tear’s bare-midriffed professional outfit.

How old is Louie supposed to be, anyway? All anime protagonists look like kids, so I'm assuming he's like 12 or something.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

RickVoid posted:

Also he probably considers Reccette and Tear his only friends, so he just defaults to hanging out with them by browsing the store. Which is not helping his money trouble at all but "They Like Me" is a motivator that should never be underestimated.

And yeah, that cutscene with Reccette helping Louie learn edible food gather points is pretty god-damned :negative:

With regards to hilariously overpriced apples, when I played this I just assumed that a "Pix" was the fantasy equivalent of a $.01 cent piece. Throwing a decimal point after the hundreds place makes the prices slightly more sensible. ($1 unthankful statues? Yes. $3 Apple? Still hosed, but much less so. $300 Steel Sword? If we assume mass-production, might be closer to reasonable.)

Does that mean we start the game with $5?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

T-man posted:

Does that mean we start the game with $5?

Thematic!