Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
All customary huzzahs!

This is a pretty good game for what it is, even though we haven't quite seen all of what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Mechanical Ape posted:

As a RPG item shop, do we also deal in vendor trash? Will we have to smile politely at adventurers and pretend we’re actually interested in 20 Dire Boar Snouts?

I don't want to get too spoils until the actual systems show up in the game, but man, I wish this was an option sometimes.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

MechaCrash posted:

The fact that their old gear takes up space in your bag is why getting them to equip the good stuff on a permanent basis is so nice, and why I wish I had a "IT'S A loving PRESENT JUST TAKE IT" button.

Not only that, if things go sour in the dungeon the upgraded gear is one of the things you have to choose to take back, or not.

Anyway, fun capitalism fact: unlike in real life, where a price can be so low people are suspicious they're getting value for money, in a video game there's no selling price so low that people won't gladly pay it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Blaziken386 posted:

Everything else there is correct, but it's not that customers will only pick something that matches their budget, it's that their budget isn't calculated at all when it comes to items on the shelves. I've had housewives come in and ask for my <<+5 Sword of Demon Smiting>>, and gladly pay the cost, and then the next day turn up their nose at me for the sheer gall of breaking their budget by offering them a moderately priced <<Bowl of Pot Roast>>.

It was a different housewife. There's like three copies of each generic NPC out there and their wallets all level up separately.

So here's the mechanic that's a big sticking point for a lot of people. Nobody will take an item off your shelves that they can't afford. However, when they come to the counter and ask for a generic category of item, they'll recognize that you matched their category, but have nothing to say about whether or not they brought enough cash.

And unless you've haggled extensively enough to recognize all of each NPC's "that price is too high" messages, you can't tell it apart from the "I don't have that much money" message. Because, I mean, "I don't have that much money" is kind of a polite way to say "that price is too high".

So you can corner yourself into an impossible offer that you can't get out of and can't diagnose, especially if you don't grab any penny-ante items of the common classes - and why would you, what profit is there?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Truthkeeper posted:

Oh my God you're actually serious about that. I knew there were three versions of each generic NPC, but I didn't realize they had separate budgets that leveled up independently. I love this game to death, but that is absolute bullshit right there.

Well, yeah. Why did you think the little girls puttered along for a week or so and then suddenly you got two-three hearts in a row?

It's really not a big deal as long as you don't take a request to look in the backroom as an opportunity to swing for the fences and clear $ALL,THE.MONEY instead of setting up a nice easy tap-in with a wooly hat or piece of candy to level up the wallet for next time.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, people will often ask for books, candy, or treasures from the street market. It's an easy way to get combo broke if you just run equipment.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Recette wanting to be sisters with a fairy is a reference to the studio's previously-made but later-translated game, Chantelise, which featured two sisters, one of whom had been turned into a fairy. It was a third-person brawler that let you gather elemental crystals (the exact model of the XP crystals in this game) to cast magic. I think there are also some books in stock later that reference it?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So what you're telling me is that the merchant's guild attaches numbered tags to common items of clothing and hopes the placebo effect is way stronger than anyone thought?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Truthkeeper posted:

I've seen her deny prices down to 101% in the past, and have never been willing to go lower.

But why not? You bought at 70%.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Better start stocking elemental crystals, Recette. I hear how thieves can't get enough of 'em.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Boss rushes are pretty good for hitting those rare drops, since even if you get whacked you don't have a lot to keep, do you?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Given exactly how much of a fantasy pastiche we're dealing with here, it's entirely possible that literally every concept in this world exists because a hero defeated a villain. "And thus with a silver standard was the dark lord Market Speculation sealed away for a thousand years."

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I realize Arma's probably just asking you to check the back room because of her tiny wallet, but I can't help but imagine it as some kind of IRL captcha.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
There's nothing quite like the hit of an adventurer buying an expensive upgrade with their own money. It's no army of little girls thirsting for hat blood, but it does pay off down the road.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Actually, the church is just hiring people to throw things into dungeons so they can also hire people to get them out again, thereby stimulating economic demand.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'll say this for Louie, at least he's got a shield to block arrows with. ...right?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
There aren't any super super expensive sweets, but you're probably at the point where you can drop the high 4 digits on one in the market, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Truthkeeper posted:

NEXT TIME: Elan needs gear and levels, and I need to familiarize myself with him. Grinding time!

Phew. How tough is it to actually get Elan to buy gear, I wonder?