Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
About the customer's maximum budget, as far as I know, they will always be able to afford an item they choose. Their budget will affect what items they will choose, but once they have chosen one, they can afford it. You can get into a scenario where you have to sell an item for way below its value, but not yet, it can only happen when taking advantage of certain gameplay features not unlocked yet.

Also, something funny about the first customer who will always buy a Walnut Bread, there was a bug that allowed you to sell it for a huge amount of money to her. Normally, you can only haggle a few times until the customer leaves. However, she is a special case since she's basically part of a tutorial, you can never drive her off. It also happens to be so that for every subsequent haggle attempt, you can charge just a little bit more. This took a lot of patience, but in theory you could charge her a ludicrous amount. Nowadays she has a hard cap to how much she is willing to pay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
Even if a customer with 100 pix budged for some reason did try to buy a 10k pix sword, they would still be able to afford it. Customers can always afford items they pick up off your counter, even if it exceeds their budget. The budget system can not screw you over at this point of the game, but it will be able to very soon.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
My understanding of the dungeons is that they are only efficient very early in the game, once you're past the first week, you're better of ignoring them. That said, it's not at all hard to have more than double the money you need to pay for the weekly payoff, so you can afford to do some dungeon runs anyway.

Anyway, it seems to me like the adventurers would have been better off partnering up with each other and take turns doing the monster fighting and being safe in the force-field, then just split the loot 50/50. I have no idea why they need the merchants.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
The game needs for items in every category to increase in price exponentially. Some item categories, like weapons and armor, have examples that are probably magical and thus can be as expensive as needed. Other categories like food and books are harder to justify. Either some food are too cheap or other food items are too expensive. It gets even worse if we compare the prices from different categories. A longsword has a base price of 1,200 pix while an apple pie is 12,000 pix.

Anyway, this talk about prices gave me a thought, what could Recette's dad buy with his loan? I think he could have easily gotten a full set of the most expensive buy-able equipment. Well, it's not as if the game makes him out to be smart with money.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
There will be events later that, while they don't prove that Louie is an adult with real life logic, strongly suggest the writer intended for him to be an adult. We haven't seen any of those yet though, but there is a reason Truthkeeper assumes he is an adult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

mauman posted:

Also, yeah you're going to have to accept selling WAY underprice for most adventurers if you want them to own the best of the best. Only a few of them can come close to having the proper amount. Incidentally, Cal is one of them. Louie is definitely not.
You can get around it for some adventurers, although not really for Louie. If a customer orders multiple items, their budget is multiplied by the number of items ordered. So, if Louie orders three swords, you can give him the most expensive one you have and two of the cheapest, sell it all for three times his budget and that way make less of a loss (or no loss at all prior to high tier items). With this method, most adventurers can be sold their highest tier item without you making a loss. I don't think it's practical to wait for such an event though, if I want to use an adventurer, I'd rather take the first chance I get at upgrading his/her equipment.