Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«5 »
Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

I'm thirty goddamn years old, and I've been diagnosed with ADHD since I was around 10 years old. Medicated for about 5-7 years, but I stopped taking it due to it completely destroying my personality. Yeah, my grades suffered and maybe my life is in shambles due to my inability to function in this society as a neurodivergent, but I think it made me a better person.

How is it only today that I have learned about some of the key factors of ADHD!

Additude Magazine posted:

When we step back and ask, “What does everyone with ADHD have in common, that people without ADHD don’t experience?” a different set of symptoms take shape.

From this perspective, three defining features of ADHD emerge that explain every aspect of the condition:
1. an interest-based nervous system
2. emotional hyperarousal
3. rejection sensitivity

All three of these are things I've experienced my whole life, but wasn't really aware that I was experiencing them. That no, I'm not just some awkward weirdo who can't handle rejection, my brain is literally wired to not like certain interactions more than other people to the point where it can be crippling.

Additude Magazine posted:

Clinicians often ask, “Can you pay attention?” And the answer is typically, “Sometimes.”

This is the wrong question.

Instead, practitioners should ask, “Have you ever been able to get engaged and stay engaged?” Then, “Once you’re engaged, have you ever found something you couldn’t do?”

How is this information not given to every new parent, every pediatrician, and every schoolteacher? The quality of mental health support in this world is absolute garbage. Everyone is expected to just stay quiet, and make sure you don't rock the boat with your problems. I've been wanting to see a therapist for the last couple years, but I cannot afford the hundreds upon hundreds of dollars required to do so that isn't covered by my work's healthcare.

So GBS, how's your brain doing? I know at least half of you have some sort of brain thing going on, tell me about it. What are some non-medicinal coping methods you've used to deal with your disorder, whatever it is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt McGuirk
Oct 20, 2010

brave

&

strong

Regular exercise, socializing, creative outlets, healthy diet and not getting hosed up all the time.

Obviously clinical depression and mental illness are real, but I see a lot of people self-diagnosing without trying any of the above for any sustained period of time.

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

take your brain pills op

Tane
Feb 27, 2005

i post all of my mundane bullshit on SA for other people with actual problems to read

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Dirt McGuirk posted:

Regular exercise, socializing, creative outlets, healthy diet and not getting hosed up all the time.

Obviously clinical depression and mental illness are real, but I see a lot of people self-diagnosing without trying any of the above for any sustained period of time.

Yeah, those are pretty solid ways to help with depression. Just going outside for a walk can be a huge improvement to a person's mental health, and making it a daily routine is a great way of improving your moods.

curlys gold posted:

take your brain pills op

My mom threw them all out because they expired

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams

I was supposed to see the wizard about getting a brain but I forgot.

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!

Smellrose

I have problems with my brain. Walking and running helped. Also having money, healthcare, and being white helped

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT MY MICRO PENIS

i had legit add, which was ironic since i was convinced it was bullshit, and the OP taught me some things and I went "yup" however i dont really see the relevance to my life. just knowing there is a reason for those things doesnt make it any better, and im not one to play the blame game its still my problem no matter what characteristic can be attributed to another set of characteristics under a label "add"

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

Fashionable Jorts posted:

My mom threw them all out because they expired

take your brain pills op

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

Dirt McGuirk posted:

not getting hosed up all the time.

uh no thanks

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

1gnoirents posted:

i had legit add, which was ironic since i was convinced it was bullshit, and the OP taught me some things and I went "yup" however i dont really see the relevance to my life. just knowing there is a reason for those things doesnt make it any better, and im not one to play the blame game its still my problem no matter what characteristic can be attributed to another set of characteristics under a label "add"

I'm not trying to excuse my behaviour and blame it on my ADHD. But knowing why some of these things are happening can possibly help me (and others) deal with these issues. If I had known this stuff when I was 13 and still in school, I could possibly have used this information to do better at school and in relationships.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

retard: have you considered not being bazooka'd out of your tiny loving mind 24/7?
me: lmao eat my dick bitch

Autistic Edgy Guy
Jan 21, 2017

screaming at bare ass

i think even a little bit of boozing goes a long way to negatively affect your mental health

i.e. IM FUCKIN NUTS OP

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

You were diagnosed and prescribed medicine that worked which you then stopped taking, and are now saying "golly gee turns out I have all these symptoms of add, why didn't anyone tell me?" Guess what: they did tell you, and not only do you have add but you are also apparently severely retarded. Sorry you had to find out this way op

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

i had to take pills that caused “acute death anxiety” for the first two weeks and it was the most horrifying poo poo
but i kept taking them because you gotta take your brain pills

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

im normal op, maybe you should just cheer up

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

I'm not trying to excuse my behaviour and blame it on my ADHD. But knowing why some of these things are happening can possibly help me (and others) deal with these issues. If I had known this stuff when I was 13 and still in school, I could possibly have used this information to do better at school and in relationships.

Had a similar realization earlier this year after reading up more on adhd. I was pissed too that nobody assumes a child has enough mental agency to use this information constructively. Nah lets skip over that part.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Blue Train posted:

You were diagnosed and prescribed medicine that worked which you then stopped taking, and are now saying "golly gee turns out I have all these symptoms of add, why didn't anyone tell me?" Guess what: they did tell you, and not only do you have add but you are also apparently severely retarded. Sorry you had to find out this way op

ADHD meds don't just magically cure my brain.

"Stimulant medications are very good at keeping people with ADHD from getting distracted once they are engaged, but they do not help you get engaged in the first place."

I was on Dexadrine, who's chemical name is Dextroamphetamine. Amphetamines are just stimulants, which for ADHD people pretty much just calm you down. I can get almost the same effect by using caffeine (which I sometimes do).

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

curlys gold posted:

i had to take pills that caused “acute death anxiety” for the first two weeks and it was the most horrifying poo poo

Hey thats fun.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

1gnoirents posted:

lmfao I hear so many people with depression say this poo poo

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

curlys gold posted:

The gently caress meds were they?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Lamebot posted:

Had a similar realization earlier this year after reading up more on adhd. I was pissed too that nobody assumes a child has enough mental agency to use this information constructively. Nah lets skip over that part.

Right? I'm pretty sure that every relationship I had in my teens and early twenties fell apart because of the rejection issue. If I had known that it was just a side effect of my dumb brain I might have been able to cope with it. But I'm currently dating the best person I've ever met in my life, so maybe it all worked out?

Matryoshka SexDoll
Feb 24, 2016

Encapsulated Indulgence

I support mental health awareness only so that I will hear less people say things like "Everyone is a little bipolar", or, "I'm so OCD, I straighten all my pens!"

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I thought it was time you had a new av so typed in random picture and this is what came up

Working out regularly is almost as effective as antidepressants.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Colonel Cancer posted:

Working out regularly is almost as effective as antidepressants.

But some people need antidepressants to start working out in the first place. I've had days where doing things like getting out of bed to take a shower is just too much .

I wonder what the overlap of ADHD and depression is, seems like those go hand in hand. Nearly everyone I know who openly admits they have ADHD also have depression.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I thought it was time you had a new av so typed in random picture and this is what came up

Dirt McGuirk posted:

To be fair a lot of people don't have access to some or all of these things. If you are a goony goon and have been one since childhood, you probably don't have half the things on that list.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

In paradise, your teeth will grow back. I promise!
In paradise, I'll hide my laughter. I promise!

Basically prodromal schizophrenia.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

But some people need antidepressants to start working out in the first place. I've had days where doing things like getting out of bed to take a shower is just too much .

I wonder what the overlap of ADHD and depression is, seems like those go hand in hand. Nearly everyone I know who openly admits they have ADHD also have depression.

Yeah I've been there. Had a pretty decent regiment when I was loving up in college a few years ago, the side effects are a killer tho. CBT, even self therapy if you can't afford a regular therapist, is great tho!

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

FactsAreUseless posted:

The gently caress meds were they?

bupropion

it erased that intrinsic “denial of death” mechanism in the brain for about two weeks and i was suddenly under this sort of existential morbidity cycle

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I had a period of like a month recently where I had an unreasonable fear of suddenly dying and as with all my possible health issues I just ignored it until it went away

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

All three of these are things I've experienced my whole life, but wasn't really aware that I was experiencing them. That no, I'm not just some awkward weirdo who can't handle rejection, my brain is literally wired to not like certain interactions more than other people to the point where it can be crippling.

I don't see the necessity or value of medicalizing your personal issues.

What you're saying here is that you used to think you were an awkward weirdo who can't handle rejection, but now you know that you're an awkward weirdo who can't handle rejection because of your BRAIN.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Orange Sunshine posted:

What you're saying here is that you used to think you were an awkward weirdo who can't handle rejection, but now you know that you're an awkward weirdo who can't handle rejection because of your BRAIN.

having a physiological explanation for a strong reaction helps a lot of people moderate the impulse because they can justify it as irrational in the moment.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Orange Sunshine posted:

The difference is between "this is who I am and I will never get better, oh well" and "my brain is tricking me into self-destructive behaviours and now that I know that this is what's happening I can possibly 'muscle' through it and improve my life by not losing my mind before a job interview."

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012

If you don't have a mental illness then you're probably wealthy/white

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

No whammy, no whammy, no whammy...

Why don't you shoot up a country music hall about it.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

your last av sucked so much to look at that a shitty zoomed in jpeg of asparagus is an improvement

It took seven months after my suicide attempt to find a psychiatrist that A) accepted our insurance and B) was accepting new patients.

Mental health in this country is hosed

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

ruddiger posted:

Why don't you shoot up a country music hall about it.

semper fi

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Gaunab posted:

If you don't have a mental illness then you're probably wealthy/white

Wealthy white people just medicate by getting day drunk while popping Xanax and looking down on the middle class.

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009

I've always wondered if ADHD is over-diagnosed because everyone is endlessly cracked out on candy and soda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Uncle Spriggly posted:

I've always wondered if ADHD is over-diagnosed because everyone is endlessly cracked out on candy and soda.

No, candy and soda do not cause hyperactivity in children, thats a myth perpetuated by moms who don't know how to establish boundaries for their children.Also ADHD manifests extremely differently than a person being buzzed on stimulants.

It might be true that there is over-diagnosis going on in this world, since there is good money to convince parents that Little Billy is misbehaving due to a nice medical problem that can be solved with a convenient pill instead of, you know, being a decent parent. But at the same time ADHD and Autism are still a fairly "new" discovery in the grand scheme of things, so we don't really know for sure how many people are affected by it. More education and research on the subject is definitely needed.

«5 »