Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

this is a thread for dads who game. i guess since there are barely any posters here, if you have a father you can post about their gaming habits. you probably all have a father.

i played some dqxi this evening and my son was getting quite emotional during a key story point in the game, it was cute. i had to stop reading the dqxi thread because i can really only do the game an hour at a time and i will spoil it for myself as everyone has been done forever. not being able to marathon anything ever is a dad gaming curse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

God I wish I had a wife

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

goferchan posted:

God I wish I had a wife

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

goferchan posted:

God I wish I had a wife

when i was playing persona 5 i had a very mature mentality to the romance options. when you are a dad you want to think about the future. the doctor and teacher? those are pretty good jobs. the smart girl? oh yeah, she's going places. the hot blonde model with a nice rack? that's trouble

you need to be on that kinda level to be ready for a wife i think.

White Genocide
Feb 22, 2010

goferchan posted:

God I wish I had a wife

lmao

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Lightning... It flashes bright, then fades away. It can't protect; it only destroys.

goferchan posted:

God I wish I had a wife

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY FAGGOT ON THE FORUMS

goferchan posted:

God I wish I had a wife

More time to play...

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

my morning jackass posted:

when i was playing persona 5 i had a very mature mentality to the romance options. when you are a dad you want to think about the future. the doctor and teacher? those are pretty good jobs. the smart girl? oh yeah, she's going places. the hot blonde model with a nice rack? that's trouble

you need to be on that kinda level to be ready for a wife i think.

Yeah my ideal wife is an average of Makoto Nijima and Carmella Soprano i think

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah

goferchan posted:

God I wish I had a wife

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

my dads on zwift .. other than that i think manic miner is the only game hes ever played. which in a way makes him more hardcore than me since i dont know what the gently caress it is

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

?????

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

watching the sun rise in the middle of the day ... got my dodo from gta 3 parked outside of my clifftop beach house and we all live on a big piano like the spacecat will p;lay for you the symphony of space meme

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I think I told my gaming dad story before but i'll tell it again. It was easter weekend and he was out of town but we talked on the phone and he knew I loved the shareware Commander Keen games and told me he bought me a Commander Keen game, and said it was the one where vegetables come to life and attack him. I was excited on the phone but once he hung up I realized that I'd never heard of any Commander Keen game like that, and also the date was April 1st, and I was devastated because i thought he had just been pranking me. But he showed up the next day with this

and it restored all my faith in Dad, God, and Video Games even though it's probably the worst Commander Keen game they ever made

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

goferchan posted:

God I wish I had a wife

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

My gaming dad has been playing civilization series for years and always complains that you have to be a commie to be successful.

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah

is it preferable to have a gaming dad??

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

My dad's not really a gamer but the two games he did complete were Ocarina of Time and Windwaker

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

My dad's not really a gamer but the two games he did complete were Ocarina of Time and Windwaker

My dad only ever played Descent, X-Wing VS Tie Fighter, and Indiana Jones & The Temple of Atlantis with me. The former two are really weird because he gets like violently motion sick from watching any modern 3D game within 30 seconds

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

My dad played PGA Tour on the SNES for an hour every day for years but hasn;t really played a game since.

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah

i played wolfenstein 3d w my dads gf

she would move and i would press the ctrl button to shoot

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

THe EA Sports intro in that era was awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EksR24-Xyxc

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Be Gay Sports

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Pillbug

Iíll just repost my gaming dad story from that other thread

My grandpa was in the foreign service so when my dad was in college he was living in Barbados for a while, and there was one arcade on the island with a handful of machines. My dad had somehow learned about the Galaga no fire glitch, went to the arcade and eventually a crowd of like 30 kids gathered around while he absolutely demolished the high scores. Nobody knew how he did it for like 10 years

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Pillbug

Another one is on my parentsí second date they went to a bar that had buck hunter and my mom was so bad at it that my dad took her gun in frustration and played akimbo until they ran out of time (lives? ive never actually seen someone play buck hunter irl)

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Wormskull posted:

My gaming dad has been playing civilization series for years and always complains that you have to be a commie to be successful.

I had a friend whose dad wouldn't let him play Civ IV because communism and slavery were good in it

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I never really saw my dad game but he would bootleg DOS games from work for me when I was growing up...thanks dad.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Grimey Drawer

My dad bought a colecovision and an NES for himself before I was born and he liked to play Tetris and super Mario land on his game boy as well. He also liked to slack off and play simcity and frogger on his work computer and he liked to buy me violent computer games like Doom II and Quake

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Grimey Drawer

In like 1996 my dad showed me how to go on gamefaqs and print out tips and hints for tough games. I have no idea where he found out gamefaqs exists. Thanks dad...

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

My dad used to buy and sell old used arcade machines in the 90's. We had an entire rented garage filled with them and he'd take me there from time to time for a gaming night where I could play any arcade I wanted. I was six years old and this was awesome.

Then a few months later the local mafia decided that this is gambling and came to collect protection money from his business partner and my dad went 'welp, gently caress that poo poo, it's not worth it' and changed his line of career.

His favorite game back then was Arkanoid.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

my morning jackass posted:

this is a thread for dads who game. i guess since there are barely any posters here, if you have a father you can post about their gaming habits. you probably all have a father.

. . .

Uncle at Nintendo
Dec 31, 2000

MIYAMOTO-SAN... YOU HAVE MY AXE

I have 3 kids but they are all 3 years old and younger so none of them can play any games with me yet (especially the 2 month old)

I bought one of those mini arcade 1-up Street Fighter 2 cabinets and I put it in the playroom and my 1 1/2 year old and 3 1/2 year old love button mashing it

I can't really remember how old I was when I started playing the NES. I think it was 5 years old so I got about 2 years until i can be a Gaming Dad

Zas
Oct 7, 2006

my dad played donkey kong in the 80s, i think that was it

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

The only time I remember seeing my Dad play a game was the original Super Mario Bros and he always hit the bottom of the flag poles 100% of the time no matter how many times he tried which is apparently a speed running technique so he was ahead of his time.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Grimey Drawer

In Training posted:

THe EA Sports intro in that era was awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EksR24-Xyxc

i used to love the old EA logo.

seeing that logo on old C64 games used to mean it was going to be a good one.

dad related: my dad was really into software piracy during the c64 era and was into the cracking scene but he never actually played the games. but we did have mountains of 5.25" disks that meant as a kid I could play pretty much everything.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I have 3 kids but they are all 3 years old and younger so none of them can play any games with me yet (especially the 2 month old)

I bought one of those mini arcade 1-up Street Fighter 2 cabinets and I put it in the playroom and my 1 1/2 year old and 3 1/2 year old love button mashing it

I can't really remember how old I was when I started playing the NES. I think it was 5 years old so I got about 2 years until i can be a Gaming Dad

My 3 year old enjoys Mario kart. You can turn on the drive assist and auto acceleration and it does most of the work itself. He can use the menus to pick characters and his car and just started using items during a race. He enjoys it.

The switch is really a pro family gaming system. Iím kinda looking forward to the letís go Pokťmon games because they seem simple and have coop so maybe my son and I can play together soon.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

fathers don't let your children grow up to be gamers

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Hurt Me Plenty

One of my earliest memories I have of my dad was watching him playing Doom II with a joystick when I was 4 or 5. Thatís the only game Iíve seen him play

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

One of mine is him showing me the trick on 3-1 or whatever with the koopa.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zas posted:

my dad played donkey kong in the 80s, i think that was it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Palpek posted:

My dad used to buy and sell old used arcade machines in the 90's. We had an entire rented garage filled with them and he'd take me there from time to time for a gaming night where I could play any arcade I wanted. I was six years old and this was awesome.

Then a few months later the local mafia decided that this is gambling and came to collect protection money from his business partner and my dad went 'welp, gently caress that poo poo, it's not worth it' and changed his line of career.

His favorite game back then was Arkanoid.

that's hosed

«3 »