Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

The World Championship is here (yesterday, technically). It features champion Magnus Carlsen at his most insecure, defending against American Fabiano Caruana. This is a bit of a hurried thread since I forgot to make it in time for yesterdays game!

Places to watch:
Official Site — You have to pay and it sucks. Don't use it.
Chess24 — My favourite. Features Sopiko Guramishvilli, Peter Svidler, and Sasha Grischuk. Svidler is, in my mind, the best chess commentator going. Him and Jan Gustaffson play off each other fantastically, especially when bored.
Chess.com — I think they've hired the Chessbrahs to do it again this year. Quite popular with people here.

Schedule:
All games start at 3PM London, UK time

Caruana has white 1, 3, 5, 8, 10, 12
Carlsen has white 2, 4, 6, 7, 9, 11

Round 1: November 9 1/2 Carlsen generates a winning advantage but somehow fails to convert. I am not use to him not winning these kinds of games.
Round 2: November 10 1/2 Caruana gets the better of Carlsen in the opening, but Carlsen manages to defang play and the game is quickly drawn.

Round 3: November 12 1/2 Caruana improves on the game 1 opening but lets control of the a-file slip. Carlsen generates good play in the endgame but can't find a winning plan.
Round 4: November 13 1/2 Carlsen gets a small stable advantage but just doesn't seem to try to do anything with it.

Round 5 November 15 1/2 A wing gambit! Despite Carlsen marching his king down the board before move 30, a surprisingly straightforward draw.
Round 6: November 16 1/2 Game of the tournament. Carlsen plays a weird variation on the Petroff that quickly turns into a queenless symmetrical position. Somehow this ends up with Carlsen giving a piece for three pawns to try and hold an endgame. He plays perfect-to-the-human-eye defence, but apparently somewhere around move 67 there's a win. Neither player sees it.

Round 7: November 18 1/2 I was unavailable for this game but it doesn't look like much happened. Carlsen went back to his game 2 opening, as expected, but didn't seem to accomplish anything. Or even come close.
Round 8: November 19 1/2 A top level Sveshnikov?! Caruana developed a very good advantage out of the opening, but seemed to punt it very quickly. This game seems to have crystallized the narrative that Carlsen is having trouble with Caruana's opening preparation, but Caruana's actual play has been very inadequate.

Round 9: November 21 1/2 Magnus finally gets the better of the opening, and looks to be on his way to a possibly-winning game until he overlooks 25. h5 gxh5.
Round 10: November 22 1/2 A dynamic-looking game that is too poorly played to go anywhere. Carlsen nearly blunders a good endgame into a straight loss.

Round 11: November 24 1/2 [farting noises]

Round 12: November 26

Tie-Breaks: November 28

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Nov 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Hand Knit posted:

Places to watch:
Official Site — You have to pay and it sucks. Don't use it.
Chess24 — My favourite. Features Sopiko Guramishvilli, Peter Svidler, and Sasha Grischuk. Svidler is, in my mind, the best chess commentator going. Him and Jan Gustaffson play off each other fantastically, especially when bored.
Chess.com — I think they've hired the Chessbrahs to do it again this year. Quite popular with people here.

Basically every chess twitch streamer is also doing live commentary, so if you prefer to get Ben Finegold or Luís Fernández Siles you can do that.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

ulmont posted:

Basically every chess twitch streamer is also doing live commentary, so if you prefer to get Ben Finegold or Luís Fernández Siles you can do that.

Haha gently caress Agon.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAFhdYU3Tao

Queen's Gambit Declined today. Not standard Magnus fare, so let's see where he takes it.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Weird that Carlsen didn't win yesterday. I'm watching Finegold cover it today because I found the chess.com guys yesterday to be solid but kinda boring and I unironically love watching Finegold make the same five jokes over and over again in the most sarcastic voice imaginable.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

(After 15 moves)

This is one of those positions that I don't feel comfortable with from either side. Both queensides feel too weak to me. Overall I think I prefer white, due to the space advantage and the possibility of putting the bishop on f3, which feels strong here.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Hand Knit posted:

Chessbrahs are covering on their own channel, /chess has Danny Rensch and Robert Hess. /chess is having good guests like right now they have Fabi's childhood chess coach on.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
It's a goddamn travesty that Jan Gustafsson isn't doing the chess24 stream. I'd much rather have him instead of Grishchuk (I say as a 1200 player, please feel free to ignore me :v:) (and yes I know it's because he's almost certainly helping out Magnus).

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Dancer posted:

It's a goddamn travesty that Jan Gustafsson isn't doing the chess24 stream. I'd much rather have him instead of Grishchuk (I say as a 1200 player, please feel free to ignore me :v:) (and yes I know it's because he's almost certainly helping out Magnus).

Where is Jan?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

algebra testes posted:

Where is Jan?

Team Magnus

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Love Yasser, hate chessbrahs, go magnus!

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I like to pop in during the WCC and pretend that I know chess at all. From what I've seen from commentary, it looks like Carlsen is steering them towards another draw with those last couple moves?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Teddybear posted:

I like to pop in during the WCC and pretend that I know chess at all. From what I've seen from commentary, it looks like Carlsen is steering them towards another draw with those last couple moves?

His position is objectively bad/drawn, but he has some practical ideas. If anything he's trying to find a win somewhere, 30 moves down the line.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Love Yasser, hate chessbrahs
They don't have Yasser for WCs, he is doing coverage for St Louis Chess Club.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Teddybear posted:

My understanding is it's a drawn position but Carlsen likes to keep playing drawn positions to see if he can eke out a marginal advantage and go for the win.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

If you have a passed pawn on the 6 and you're not losing, might as well play on.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Revenge of the 3v2 rook endgame.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
They called it, draw confirmed.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
so much for magnus winning it easily

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

A very back to the drawing board game for Magnus. I don't think he got anything that he wanted.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Two games where white had to hold a draw. Pretty unexpected.
But a good sign for the tournament. Unless both players decide to respec to boring over the rest day.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

so much for magnus winning it easily

No one could possibly had seriously though Magnus was winning it easily. Caruana is one of 3 people who can go toe-to-toe with Magnus any day of the week. (Mamedyarov is the other. Kramnik is the third.)

also:
Game 2 feels like a recovery game from game 1.

Magnus effect is probably not in play here. Caruana is not as scared of Carlsen as most other players in the world, so he should be able to keep his head. Also Magnus is playing someone younger than him for the first time in his WCC run. Can't run long brutal games to wear his opponent down physically.

This match is going to produce an immortal at some point.

tonberrytoby posted:

Two games where white had to hold a draw. Pretty unexpected.
But a good sign for the tournament. Unless both players decide to respec to boring over the rest day.

Does Carlsen have a boring setting? Caruana has played aggressive all year too.

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 10, 2018

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

My stupid newsfeed keeps spoiling the game results for me in the headlines. I just want to wait and find out what happens in the agadmator videos.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Inferior Third Season posted:

My stupid newsfeed keeps spoiling the game results for me in the headlines. I just want to wait and find out what happens in the agadmator videos.

I'll be able to watch game 3 live but after that, It's going to be get spoiled, watch Dan King break it down.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrSEUaGkvgA

Another semi-open, reasonably dynamic position for Carlsen. I feel like he's reasonably happy as black here.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I completely forgot about this until now, but at least there’s a game today and the match is tied!

Can’t wait to watch playback of the first 3 games.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Have there been any real, highlight "wow!" moments so far?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Drone posted:

Magnus loving up a win in round 1?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Drone posted:

Carlsen was really dominant for like the first 30 moves in game 1 and that was a wow moment but then he decided to draw instead of winning and since then it's been pretty careful and even.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
I thought the opening choice was interesting in game 3. Is there a good analysis on what the traps were? I'm certain there was something beyond the pawn sacrifice.

Game 2 was weird. It was like Fabi was playing for a draw with white. Never once in the game was there any tension or real attacking chances.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/TarjeiJS/status/1062322566642196482

The St Louis Chess Club might have accidentally leaked some of Caruana's prep.

Hob_Gadling posted:

I thought the opening choice was interesting in game 3. Is there a good analysis on what the traps were? I'm certain there was something beyond the pawn sacrifice.

Game 2 was weird. It was like Fabi was playing for a draw with white. Never once in the game was there any tension or real attacking chances.

Carlsen was white in game 2. It looked like he was completely unprepared for Rd8. White actually has lines to play for a good game after that, but they're very complicated and I guess Carlsen didn't want to play a double-edged game. Carlsen went for a much quieter game because his first priority was avoiding Caruana's prep.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Hand Knit posted:

It looked like he was completely unprepared for Rd8.
https://mobile.twitter.com/olimpiuurcan/status/1061296891109924864

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

We got a four knights English today. Straight up and down so far.

e: I play this as white. I'm watching closely what Magnus goes for because, well, I'm not entirely confident with what to do. I know that white wants to put a rook on c1 to support the knight going to c5, but I can never figure out where to put my bishop or how to do that fast enough.

e2: I also wouldn't be surprised if Carlsen doesn't go for the obvious first-choice plan.

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Nov 13, 2018

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Hand Knit posted:

Carlsen was white in game 2.

Eh, yes. But still, the entire game looks like it was played safely to a draw as white with no chances taken.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
So is Finegold streaming? Where can I find that? His Twitch is offline.

Chess.com is bland and Chess24 is too quiet on the computer I can currently use, and it's also Soviet-style ugly. I mean, look at them.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I'm watching Finegold on Twitch right now so :shrug:

https://www.twitch.tv/gmbenjaminfinegold

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Game 4 has reached a very classic Carlsen position at move 27. Even material with a slight imbalance in the pawn structure that gives Carlsen the opportunity to grind something out while Caruana has to block. Wonder if Carlsen still has it...

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
If he does, he decided not to show it. Draw agreed.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
A little depressing to see Carlsen play to a draw so easily from that position by move 34. This is an ultra conservative mentality and is very boring to watch. There was no obvious path to win on the board but young Carlsen would have at least tried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Flayer posted:

A little depressing to see Carlsen play to a draw so easily from that position by move 34. This is an ultra conservative mentality and is very boring to watch. There was no obvious path to win on the board but young Carlsen would have at least tried.

Maybe he's aiming for them rapid tie-breakers :v: .

• Locked thread