Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Nice piece of fish posted:

I see your point. Yeah, maybe. I honestly don't know what's up with that, if it's general fatigue or if he's slowing down or is prepping wrong.

Even slow Carlsen is pretty scary though.

I think personal stuff is slowing Carlsen down. He needs to do his fashion and corporate stuff, but it's also a distraction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Jonny Nox posted:

I think personal stuff is slowing Carlsen down. He needs to do his fashion and corporate stuff, but it's also a distraction.

I think he's also just worn out. Being the champion seems to be tiring — Both Anand and Kramnik saw their ratings start to drop quite a lot while champion and then saw their ratings recover afterwards.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Also this position has a lot of play both ways. It's not particularly natural play for either player, either, but I think e4 suggests that Carlsen thinks he can go forwards.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Hand Knit posted:

I think he's also just worn out. Being the champion seems to be tiring — Both Anand and Kramnik saw their ratings start to drop quite a lot while champion and then saw their ratings recover afterwards.

Honestly he's looked like he barely enjoys it anymore the past few weeks

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Caruana seems to have blundered again.

Bharatrocity
Oct 20, 2005

One day son, all I own will still belong to the state

RIP Fabi

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Oh. Well. Uh.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Oofadoofa. Well, your afternoon just freed up.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Well at least if Caruana plays before Carlsen does he still has a shot at #1 in the ratings list.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Caruana let time run down and then resigned.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The rapids are really exposing how once Caruana gets out of his insane engine prep he's simply not as good as Carlsen.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Hou Yifan on Chess.com made me think-- has a woman ever challenged for the championship?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

vyelkin posted:

The rapids are really exposing how once Caruana gets out of his insane engine prep he's simply not as good as Carlsen.

A lot of people have been expecting exactly this scenario though.

It's one of the main defences I've heard for Carlsen offering remis in the 12th game, that there was no benefit to risking it all in the last game against a very strong opponent over just playing to his strenghts like what's happening now.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Nice piece of fish posted:

A lot of people have been expecting exactly this scenario though.

It's one of the main defences I've heard for Carlsen offering remis in the 12th game, that there was no benefit to risking it all in the last game against a very strong opponent over just playing to his strenghts like what's happening now.

Yeah I'd say that was pretty apparent in hindsight given the comment he made in the press conference after game 12 along the lines of "we play to the rules they give us, if they give us different rules we'll play differently". If he's this much better at rapid, which he clearly is, there's no reason not to play for 12 draws and then destroy Caruana in three hours afterwards.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Teddybear posted:

Hou Yifan on Chess.com made me think-- has a woman ever challenged for the championship?

No. Judit Polgar was the closest, ranking in the top 10 in the world in the early 90s.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Hand Knit posted:

No. Judit Polgar was the closest, ranking in the top 10 in the world in the early 90s.

That's a bummer. I hope that we see more women in high-level chess in the future.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Teddybear posted:

I think FIDE needs to be careful with this. Better to invite women into open slots on sub-tournaments, hoping one earns her way into the candidates, and working with national chess groups to maximise resources for interested girls. But get visibility on women competing with men as equals to show girls that this is a world they might want to be part of. Then it's just wait for the right woman to come along.

Hou Yifan's last big tournament was pretty hard on her.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Pieces are coming off. Caruana probably can't afford for another pair of pieces to come off.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Fatality

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Anyway if you have liked the chess in here and want to play chess come join us in trad games.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3490241

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

That was an annihilation. It maybe would have been better for Fabi if Magnus converted the sharp position in game 12 instead of letting it get to today.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Welp

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Carlsen's match strategy was right, rapid caruana is not nearly as precise. I agree with whoever upthread commented that karjakin's defenses were more interesting than anything caruana has done this series.

I really want a match format change for the next one though, because winning in tiebreaks the past two championships feels bad.

Magnus Carlsen ladies and gentlemen.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Anias posted:

Carlsen's match strategy was right, rapid caruana is not nearly as precise. I agree with whoever upthread commented that karjakin's defenses were more interesting than anything caruana has done this series.

I really want a match format change for the next one though, because winning in tiebreaks the past two championships feels bad.

Magnus Carlsen ladies and gentlemen.

Maybe players like Caruana should just git gud at Rapid and maybe they wouldn't be embarrassed like this. :colbert:

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Super Jay Mann posted:

Maybe players like Caruana should just git gud at Rapid and maybe they wouldn't be embarrassed like this. :colbert:

I'm actually comfortable with the champion being the overall best player in playoffs such as this. But yes, I think that would be the most entertaining.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So what's the countdown on future WCC's being chess960

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

I think I'd rather see something like draw odds to the challenger with an unequal number of whites starting in the champion's favor and a sliding adjustment towards the challenger for every time the champion defends.

IDK.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Anias posted:

I think I'd rather see something like draw odds to the challenger with an unequal number of whites starting in the champion's favor and a sliding adjustment towards the challenger for every time the champion defends.

IDK.

I mean they change the format and timing rules for the WCC match all the time, so they can just make it a Draw goes to defender Challenger has advantage in number of white games and change it back when Carlsen isn't World Champ any more.

or something

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Has any tournament ever done:

Win 3
Draw as black 2
Draw as white 1
Loss 0

Is that completely loving stupid?

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

The draw rate in correspondence and computer chess championship series both point towards unbalanced scoring for draws being hard to work in tournament settings. In a match you might be able to find a good value in points for draws vs wins.

I doubt it’s as clean as 3 2 1 0 though.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss
I think 24 game matches and less frequent rest days would reduce the overwhelming amount of computer prep, and also make 'just draw forever' a much riskier strategy. A rest day after every 2 games and an extra rest day before the last game seems excessive, and like it takes some of the question of stamina out of the equation, which ought to be a part of chess I think.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
hasn't ding liren been drawing for an entire loving year

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

T-Bone posted:

He was winning too. Even winning enough to get his rating to 2815. The impression probably comes from him going +1 =13 at the candidates.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

T-Bone posted:

He's on a 96 game unbeaten streak, with 28 wins and 68 draws. That's not an unusual amount of draws for high-level play.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
The candidates tournament was so much more fun. When's the next one?

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

Inferior Third Season posted:

He's on a 96 game unbeaten streak, with 28 wins and 68 draws. That's not an unusual amount of draws for high-level play.

He finally lost to MVL at Shenzen a little bit ago but he's been generally playing amazing chess. His showing at the Candidates was better than the +1 he ended up with--he was almost never worse in any game and just barely missed at least one other win (against Caruana even, I think? I can't remember). He plays really exciting attacking chess and is Feingold's favorite to win the next Candidates' cycle.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I have the Carlsen Karjakin book because its a great read and there is a lot to learn from Sergei's dogged defending.

Probably not picking up this one.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Ding Liren is good and not boring. If you check out the game where he finally lost to MVL, he plays like a crazy person instead of like someone who's trying not to lose so he can keep his streak going.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

vyelkin posted:

he plays like a crazy person instead of like someone who's trying not to lose so he can keep his streak going game his way into a more advantageous game format

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
If Caruana can't beat a subdued Carlsen once in 12 classical games then who's got a chance of taking the world championship off him? Nobody is on his level in fast games.

• Locked thread