Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Yeah, I don't think I ever actually grinded friendship (can you?) but I still got through stuff a lot quicker. Mainly because I would clear up every marker on the fast travel map except the plot ones before doing the plot, and every inspiration goal before doing the exams. And make one of every item unlockable at that point in the game as soon as I could. And I wanted to nab all the unique monster requests from the board.

...yeah, this game big.

Basically, friendship is tied to how many monsters you've killed while the twins' pals have been in the party, and where they're positioned; it grows faster for frontliners, slower for backliners, and slowest for those on standby. Like for instance, Alt was at friendship level 10 when Sophie joined at the end of chapter 6, but because there was an offscreen stint where I had Alt on standby while Sophie was always in the frontline, the gap between their friendship levels is like, 2-3 at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

I always got frustrated with the friendship grind, for as much as I like the games. I’m glad they let you know when you hit a story cap though.

Random question, I noticed even with 170ish quality, stuff is still ranked at C tier. Are tiers not tied into quality?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Shirec posted:

I always got frustrated with the friendship grind, for as much as I like the games. I’m glad they let you know when you hit a story cap though.

Random question, I noticed even with 170ish quality, stuff is still ranked at C tier. Are tiers not tied into quality?

As far as I can tell only traits factor into tiers; an item without traits is E or D tier by default, while something with 3 of the higher-end traits (like, say, One Hit Kill or Superb Quality) will be S rank.

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 19, 2019

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Part 10-9: Fights and Footsteps

Throwdown with Firis

Oh, what is it? You can ask me anything, go ahead!

It’s about the A Rank Exam! Mireille wants letters of recommendation! The same ones you need to take the certification exam!

A letter of recommendation! That takes me back. Sure! I can handle this for you.

Great, thanks, Firis! I knew you’d come through for us!

Huh?

Fight me! If you win, I’ll write your reference!

Firis, hold on… We want an alchemy reference… That’s all! We’re not trying to be the best gunslingers in the world, or aiming to be mighty warriors.

I know, but alchemists need to be able to fight, too! The certification exam includes fighting.

It does? This exam sounds more violent than I thought!

Hahaha. It might just have been how the examiner got their kicks, thinking about it now. Anyway! No need to make this complicated! If you defeat me, you get the recommendation! How about it?

Very well. Hehe! Don’t complain once we beat you, Firis!

Haha, bring it on! You’ll find fighting me to be pretty challenging! Just let me know when you’re ready. You’d better prepare carefully, for your own sake!

Hmm… you know what, Lydie? I think we’re ready!

I agree! Firis!

Yeah! Let’s do this!

Okay, good. But we can’t fight here, so let’s change location.

Ah… there’s plenty of sensitive materials here, after all…

Where do you propose we fight, Firis?

Hmm… Braisewest!

Are you sure? Two on one seems a little unfair…

Hehe, don’t worry about me. I went through hell in my own training, I assure you.

Lydie. Let’s just take her at her word and fight her together. I don’t think we’ll win, otherwise.

Yes, sure. Both of us together. Come on then, Firis!

Hahaha! Give it your best shot, girls!

Music: Journey to the Beyond

Alright, time to use our certain death bomb…

W-Wait! No need to go that-

Just kidding! This isn’t a certain death bomb, but close enough!

Guh!

Now, for the opening salvo!

Flaming hot arrow!!

Yowch!

Sue!

How was-

We… we won!

A stunning victory, if I say so myself!

Guwah! I’m beat! But your victory will be short-lived! Ilmeria and Miss Sophie will avenge me!

Ah! The battle was so fierce, I got a bit carried away.

Hahaha. You were so strong, Firis. Both of us together could barely match you.

Firis’ Reference received.

Great! Thank you! You’re still acting a bit odd, but no matter.

This is my letter of recommendation. Ah, but it’s the first one I’ve written, so it might be wrong?

What? Are you sure this will be alright?

Hahaha. I used my own old recommendations to write it, so it should be fine. If it’s wrong, let me know and I’ll fix it. …Sorry, this doesn’t make me look very good, does it?

Don’t say that! We’ll treasure this, Firis!

Thank you for saying that. Hehe… I wonder if everyone who gave me a recommendation felt like this? Anyway! Back to Merveille!

Okay! Now that we’re home safe and sound…

Free-Thinking and Footsteps

Oh? I’ll do whatever I can to help!

We need letters of recommendation from certified alchemists! But not for the certification exam… but because Mireille wants them for our A Rank exam!

I see. A letter of recommendation. You’ve reached the point where people ask you for them, Sophie. We really had to look around for certified alchemists in our time, didn’t we?

Hahaha, that’s right. It took quite a while to find them… In any case, if a recommendation is what you need then I’ll write one!

Great! Thank you! I’ve got some paper here, actually…

Hold it. First, I need to test you to make sure you’re worthy of it. I know you’ve got the skills, but we have to follow the protocol here.

Good, that’s the way! Let’s start from the beginning. Girls, you know what’s important in alchemy. Not just synthesizing skill, but also…

Imagination, yes.

That’s right. Imagination is vital for alchemy.

So I want to check the capacity of your imagination. Please show me your recipe book.

Our recipe book? It’s a total mess… Are you sure?

Surely it can’t be that… Oh dear, that is messy! Just let me know when you’re ready, then. I’ll be waiting here.

Alright, Lydie! You’re the tidy one between us, so…

Right, right. Hmm… this goes here, and that goes there… just a bit more… there we go! And now that I’m done with that, organizing it really gave me more confidence in the recipes we’ve come up with!

Yes, we’re ready! Lydie has sorted it all out, perfectly!

Hehe, okay then. Let’s take a look. How many recipes have you thought up? Hmm…

Oh my! This is wonderful. They’ve done well to come up with this many recipes!

Really? Heheh, it looks like all our hard work has paid off.

You’ve passed the first stage, then. Well done. Now we move on to the next test. Are you ready for this? You need to go and make some Philosopher’s Stones.

Philosopher’s Stones…! Did I hear that right? You said Philosopher’s Stones, right?

Yes, you heard that right. It’s fine. It won’t be too hard for you.

Really? Isn’t making Philosopher’s Stones the final goal of many alchemists?

That’s what many think, but the stones are really just a milestone on the road of alchemy. All famous alchemists first made Philosopher’s Stones, and then found their own path beyond them.

Sure, fine, but doesn’t it still take years of research before you can make them?

What?! At sixteen?! Is that true, Sophie?

Hahaha, it’s true. Firis was making them at around the same age too, though!

Hahaha, you’re all too much! But you’re also making me think… maybe we can do this!

Yeah, me too. We can’t give up before we try, either!

Yes, that’s the spirit! Use all the experience you’ve accumulated and do your very best!

Alright, Sue! If these are Philosopher’s Stones we’re talking about… let’s get to it!

With everything we’ve got! We’re really walking among giants here, between Sophie and Firis…

Making Philosopher’s Stones at sixteen… if the two of us can pull it off, we’ll well and truly deserve to walk alongside them!

We’ve got everything we need, but even with everything we’ve got, we’ll be in this for the long haul…

Even with a Ruby as a catalyst, it seems we can’t activate any of the spots that would let us make an extra Philosopher’s Stone, or transfer more traits, or raise the effect level threshold.

And as powerful as a Ruby is, we don’t have nearly enough room to make the most of all these big components… still though, let’s do the best with what we have!

Hmm… we hit the blue effect, but can’t activate the yellow effect no matter what we do, and looks like we’ll need an enhancing agent for the green…

There we go! Now, we’ll be at this for a while…

We just need the traits, and…

Philosopher’s Stones and Milestones

Wow… I think we might actually be pretty good at alchemy?

It doesn’t quite feel real to me. We just kind of made them, didn’t we? Let’s take them to Sophie, anyway. You never know, these might not be good enough.

Good point. Such a beautiful sparkle, though… I really hope these are the real deal!

Yawn… let’s take em to her first thing in the morning. I need some shut-eye…

Hmm, why don’t we register one with Corneria first? These will really come in handy for our synthesis later on!

Right! Now then, for the moment of truth…

Sophie. We’ve made the Philosopher’s Stones!

W-Well? Are they good?

Uwah, that look! They weren’t any good after all!

Haha, I’m just kidding. Sorry! Just a little fun. Great work, both of you. Philosopher’s Stones don’t come much better than this.

Yes! This is great, Lydie! We really made Philosopher’s Stones!

Yes! Amazing! This means we’re among the greatest alchemists now!

Indeed. If you’ve reached the point where you can make these, you are far past any regular standards of measurement.

That’s right. Which means, this is for you!

Sophie’s Reference received.

Of course. You’ve got both the imagination and the practical skills. I bet you could pass the certification exam right now, if you took it.

Wow, you think so? Hehe, maybe we should go give it a try!

N-No Sue, we have another goal first! We need to raise our Atelier Rank!

Yes, yes, I know, Sis!

Now, we have all four letters of recommendation from all four certified alchemists in town…

I can’t wait to see the look on Mireille’s face!

…Wow, you got all four? That’s amazing! You don’t do things by halves, do you girls?

The Final Mysterious Painting

:siren: Flower Stamp Condition :siren: Get all four letters of reference. The only real soft threshold here is being at least Alchemy Level 37 to be able to make the Philosopher’s Stones for Sophie, but if you’ve hit that, then you’re good to go.

Great work, anyway. This means you now have A Rank!

Yes! We’re finally A Rank! Only one step away from S Rank!

True. But only the very best atelier can even start the exam for S Rank. It’s super hard. The narrow passage that none has passed yet… Do you think you could be the first?

Yes, we will. We have to have the greatest atelier in the kingdom!

Glad to see your spirit remains strong. That’s the twins I know and love! I’ve got something to share with you now, too. I’ve obtained a new Mysterious Painting! I missed my chance to introduce it to you before, so let’s head over to the gallery now. Hehehe!

Hehehe, let’s!

Its name is the “Starlight Plain”. And on a not so bright note… It’s also the last painting we know the whereabouts of.

So that means… no more after this one?

I’m afraid so, at least for a while. Put everything you’ve got into this one, then!

Yes, we will! Come on, Sue. We need to hurry up with the Restoration!

I’m with you, Lydie! We’ll see you later, Mireille!

…They do get along so well together. I’m a little jealous of that. All Mathias and I ever did was fight each other…

Alright, we’re home!

Daaaaad?

No response… I guess he’s busy painting in the basement.

Guess so. Speaking of which, from the moment we accidentally wandered into the Heavenly Flower Garden over a year ago, til now…

Right? I couldn’t have imagined it would be but the first of many adventures to come!

I know. We’ve used so many materials from inside there! That’s why we’ve been able to reach A Rank. There’s no time to sleep now!

The final restoration… Let’s make the greatest paints Mireille has ever seen!

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 12, 2019

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I'll be honest, part of me is feeling nostalgia for "Ruby Prism".
(Side note, that part of me is an idiot)

Anyways, what do these ladies eat for breakfast, distilled Alchemy essence?
The pinnacle of alchemy, the elixir of longevity, the basis for element transmutation without needing to involve pesky radiation? "Oh, no big deal, I created my first one at 16".

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Omobono posted:

I'll be honest, part of me is feeling nostalgia for "Ruby Prism".
(Side note, that part of me is an idiot)

Anyways, what do these ladies eat for breakfast, distilled Alchemy essence?
The pinnacle of alchemy, the elixir of longevity, the basis for element transmutation without needing to involve pesky radiation? "Oh, no big deal, I created my first one at 16".

It's a well documented phenomenon that all established alchemy can be learned in a 3-5 year period in your teens. The rest of your career is then spent pushing the boundaries of knowledge further like Sophie, or just loving around with alchemy like Firis

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

It's a well documented phenomenon that all established alchemy can be learned in a 3-5 year period in your teens. The rest of your career is then spent pushing the boundaries of knowledge further like Sophie, or just loving around with alchemy like Firis

No barrier to entry, either! It’s well documented that Sophie and the twins were all gently caress ups at the beginning of their journeys and Firis didn’t even know what an alchemy was until Sophie barged into her home bombs a blazing

I guess there’s also the Roger option of bust your rear end studying through your childhood and teens, get your prestigious certification at 18, and then quit at life by 30 or so

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 19, 2019

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Part 10-10: Voices and Conflict

Voices and Secrets

Yes, we’ve done it! Now we can restore the Mysterious Painting!

(…medicine. I want to become medicine.)

Sue, what’s up?

I can hear something… Lydie, I can hear it!

It is! The voice of the material! I’ve done it, Lydie! I can hear the materials now!

T-That’s great. Hahaha. Well done, Sue.

Heheh, right? I bet Mom is going to be so proud!

Yeah, congrats.

What’s wrong? You don’t seem all that happy, Lydie.

No! I am, I am. Ah! We’ve got a job to do, haven’t we? Some bombs, right? We need to hurry up and make them. Materials, materials…

(You have done well to choose me. I want to become a bomb. Make me explode!)

(I’m happy you chose me. I want to become a bomb.)

Huh…?

What else…? Ah, this looks good!

(Hahaha! I was hoping to get in on this bomb action!)

Ah!!

Good. Let’s start the synthesis at once!

What? N-No I can’t. I can’t hear any voices!

You’re lying. All the materials you just selected said they wanted to become bombs, Lydie. If you couldn’t hear them, you’d never choose them so accurately. Am I wrong?

No, Sue. You’re right… I’ve been able to hear them for a while now.

Why didn’t you say something? Because you thought you were better than me?

N-No! Nothing like that! I thought it was just cheating, like, being able to hear them by myself.

It’s exactly like that, then! You were pitying me because I couldn’t hear them!

When I was talking about wanting to hear the voices first, you were snickering at me, right?

How can you say that! I’d never do something so mean!

Uh!

I didn’t want to hear them! It just started! I didn’t tell you because I just couldn’t find the right moment! You’re the same, Sue, anyway. Deciding how I’m feeling all on your own! I’m holding back a lot, here! I’m struggling with a lot too, you know!

Nothing. We’re going to investigate a new painting.

Girls, wai…! Sigh… That’s rare. The two of them fighting. I hope it doesn’t cause any problems…

The Fight in the Stars

Ah, the Restoration is complete. Great work, twins…

No problem.

…Twins? Is something wrong?

… No.

I-If you say so? Anyway. You can handle the investigation, right? Right…? This is bad… Maybe Mathias and the others will know how to handle them…

…Huh!

…Hah!

My sister mentioned something was up, but this does look pretty bad!

Uwah, I hate this atmosphere! Alt, do something!

This isn’t something an outsider can do anything about. Twins have epic fights, trust me.

You sound pretty knowledgeable on the subject. You don’t have a twin tucked away somewhere, do you?

… No?

You don’t? Come on!

Hahaha… We just have to keep a closer eye on them, is all. Now let’s enter ourselves before they get TOO out of hand in there…

The Explorers and the Intruder

Music: Gazing Upon the Same Star -Lydie-

You said it! Check it out, girls!

Wow.

Lovely.

Seriously. Squabbling like a pair of kids, honestly!

…What was that?

Ah! A-Alt!

Who’s the kid here. Come on. It won’t be easy but we just have to push through.

That’s right. We can’t leave without checking the place out. You got that, twins?

Yes.

Understood.

Music: Gazing Upon the Same Star -Suelle-

Uwah, what’s this? A rock that really knows how to get in the way!

Looks like a meteorite, and it’s completely blocking the path.

There’s no way around it, either. This is a problem.

No, it isn’t. We just have to blow it up.

Sue! That sounds a bit extreme!

There we go. The way should be open…

S-Shut up! It just wasn’t a strong enough bomb. If we use a stronger one, you’ll see!

I’m not sure we will. That meteorite looks tough. MYSTERIOUSLY tough, if you get my drift. It’s going to take a real powerful bomb to blow up this invader from space.

So we just have to make that bomb! Simple, dummy!

Hold on. Meteorites are generally made from iron, right? Even here, I’d wager… It certainly looks like it. So maybe we can use a special acid…

To melt it out of the way?

Let’s at least give it a try. We’ve relied a lot on Lydie’s knowledge in the past.

It does seem worth trying. Go ahead, girls.

…ugh.

Move aside.

Hmph. Know-it-all.

First, I’ll need a Malmore Comet. I can make that with some of the Black Star Stones I found in the rock piles lying around the Starlight Plain…

And now I can do the job. Now, I mustn’t keep everyone waiting any longer…

Knowledge and Power

Wow! It melted like a popsicle on a hot day!

That was amazing, Lydie! How did you even know what it was made of?

Hahaha… I read it in a book, I guess…

I see. You do love to read, Lydie.

Ah…

You just focus on hating it too much, Sue! It’s fun, learning all sorts of fun things from books!

Not me. I’m not smart like you, Lydie. I’ll leave all the intellectual stuff to you.

(Lydie has always read a lot of books. Unlike me, she’s studied so much stuff. Then she can use that in her alchemy. She’s got far more than just raw talent.)

What? Right, I’m coming.

Ah! Look up the left fork in the road…

Those benches would be the perfect spot for some stargazing! Well, if only that giant monster wasn’t in the way…

They do seem to be ubiquitous. But there’s nothing further this way. Now, let’s go back to the other path. It seems to pass through an orchard…

The Joy of Company

Hey, that fruit looks good. I was just getting hungry, too.

Right then! Let’s take a break. We’ve been walking for ages, right?

Uwah! It looks just delicious. Can I just try one? Just? One?!

Hah. What do you think, girls? This glutton will never shut up if we don’t feed her.

Hahaha, glutton! Good one. Very well, let’s have a snack. Are you alright with this, Sue…

Sure.

Don’t forget to get some for us as well.

Hahaha. Leave Firis unchecked and she’ll devour them all! Let’s get enough for everyone. Will you help, girls?

Easy enough when they’re so ripe, and lying all over the place.

Hehehe, that should be enough! Let’s settle down and eat them together!

She’s at complete ease… I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone so relaxed!

Hahaha. Here you go, Lydie and Sue.

Thank you! They look so delicious.

Off she goes… She’s stubborn, isn’t she. For now, let’s eat.

Not much else we can do. Tuck in!

Shoooo gooooooood! Amazing! Sho schweet and juicy! Mellow, rich, just so delicious!

You said it. I’ve never tasted fruit this good! Mysterious Paintings prove themselves again!

… I guess they taste okay…

She’s right. They do taste better than the first one I sneaked. But why? …Ah, I get it now! It’s because I’m eating with Sue, rather than eating them alone.

I said I was putting up with so much, but having Sue around… has made me happy so many more times than it has sad.

You ate almost all of them alone! Don’t come crying to me if you get fat!

Hah, not going to happen. I’ll just exercise this off! How about we run rather than walk?

She doesn’t stop, does she… Come on, girls. Firis is about to leave us all behind!

Stars at our feet, and stars from on high! And in the cards for us is another fork in the road…

Ah, look to the right!

That hedge maze sure is something! Even I don’t have something like that in my castle…

And look behind it. Could that be someone’s house in the background?

Hah… you think the painter might have created this painting as a fantastical villa?

One which money can’t buy… but which sheer alchemic skill can create… uwah, I’m jealous!

Either way we take, the paths will converge. I’ve been starstruck by everything I’ve seen in here so far… so whatever lies there, I know we’ll be in for a treat!

Stargazing and Gambits

A field of stars! Both of flowers, and of nebulae! How lovely!

Different again from the Heavenly Flower Garden… These worlds are wonderful, aren’t they, Sue… Ah!

Yes, you’re right, Lydie! We need to tell Mom all about this… ah, forget it.

I was about to ask the same thing! I thought they were about to make up right then and there!

They have tempestuous hearts, especially for their age. I’ve suffered similar tribulations myself.

Gah, look at you! Mr. Know-it-all!

Each is too stubborn to back down from the other. Some external factor is required.

I guess that makes sense. I think I’ve got just the thing, too, if you’ll all help me out?

Sure, Lucia… what do you have in mind?

Hmm… this isn't the place I want to try it! For now, let’s keep investigating… oh, there’s something off this path!

A bed, a bookshelf, couches, and even barrels… it almost feels like this could be part of the painter’s atelier!

You said it, Firis! Still, though… why put a bed out here in the open, instead of under a roof?

Well, who could say no to some stargazing before catching some shut-eye?

Hehe, point taken! I wonder if Grandma is up there, looking over me right now…

Uwah! This water is so pristine, and it even reflects the light from the stars and crystals!

Now then… back on track!

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 12, 2019

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Aw this is both pretty and cute! And I laughed pretty hard at the material voices wanting to be bombs.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Shirec posted:

I laughed pretty hard at the material voices wanting to be bombs.

oh you haven't seen nothing yet, just depending on when I get a certain 1.03 event in the final chapter :unsmigghh:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

:stare: How good a farmer was Oskar back in Sophie? Because his ability was not a recent development. He clearly must have lived an Harvest Moon/Rune Factory plot when he was 10, although a combat-light one.

And now I wonder if the voice of materials were planned from the start of the Mysterious trilogy or were threw in when making Firis, because Sophie didn't get to hear them in her game IIRC.
(Unless it was in a postgame event that I missed)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm pretty sure Sophie heard them and you just forgot the scene. There wasn't a huge deal made about it though

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Part 10-11: Dreams and Promises

Lucia’s Gambit

…Right, this looks like a good spot. Ahem.

Hold it, Lucia! Shouting like that is going to bring in monsters!

Ahhhh, that hurts… My stomach… just started hurting. So much.

Ugh. And my head feels like it’s splitting open. I can’t fight if monsters turn up now…

What terrible liars! And Lydie swallowed it all anyway, hah…

:doom: Grrrrrrrrrrrr!

Hah! Even if the others can’t fight, I can handle this alone!

Don’t be so reckless, Sue! It’s dangerous alone. I’ll fight, too!

Lydie? Leave me be! You don’t have to go out of your way to help me!

I’m not going out of my way. I want to protect you, that’s all!

…!

Lucia, sorry! We’ll have to call off your plan!

I agree! We can’t let the two of them go it alone!

We’re back, girls! Let’s take care of this!

Eat this!

My turn!

How do you like thiiiiiiiiis?!

Phew, it worked out. Sue, are you hurt?

Yes. But… Lydie…

Sounds like SOMEONE is hungry!

You are both growing girls…

Hahaha! We didn’t have to rumble them together, though!

I know! It’s like even our tummies are connected…

Yeah… Anyway… Lydie, I’m sorry!

No, I’m sorry. I was just being stubborn. I know I said I’ve been putting up with stuff, but you’ve made me so happy as well!

Same here. I know you’ve worked so hard to get where you are, Lydie.

Good. I think this means we’ve made up!

Sounds good to me! We work best as a team!

Let’s carry on! It’s going to be a lot more fun now that we’re in a better mood!

Looks like it’s all sorted out. I was a bit worried when that monster showed up.

Me too. Sisters should get along, though, shouldn’t they? …Just maybe not like my sister!

Hahaha, you said it, not me. I’m glad for the two of them, anyway.

Alright! Now, in the furthest reaches of the Starlight Plain… you know, it looks less like a plain and more like a mine full of crystals now!

And look! Further this way!

What, MORE bookshelves?

Not just giant bookshelves… but also a study. It really does feel like this could be someone’s open-air atelier.

It does! Though we haven’t seen the soul fragment of anyone who could have been the painter yet… so maybe they’re gone?

I guess so… Now, to the northeast, it looks like there’s a clearing off the road… Sue!

Yep!

The Oath Sworn Beneath the Stars

Look, a shooting star! Oh, Sue, do you remember? We were going to compare our answers? About the future…

What to do after we become the greatest? Sure, okay. I’ve made up my mind, after all.

Hehe, me too! So how about we share our ideas under these stars!

Hahaha, good idea. On 1, 2, 3!

We reached the same idea. I thought we might.

Me too. We’ve done so much as we worked to increase our Atelier Rank… But what’s made me happiest has been the gratitude of others. That’s motivated me the most.

I’m the same way. That’s why I want to use alchemy to make everyone happy.

Great. Let’s aim for that together, then! A target for after we’ve become the greatest in the kingdom!

Yes. We can do it! Alchemists who work for the good of everyone!

It looks like it. I bet they can do it, too.

I believe! Still, though, what a coincidence…

…Right, I think we need to be heading back.

Me too. Hey, there’s something at your feet…

Falling Star Fragments received.

You may be right. I’d like to stay here longer, but let’s head home!

Welcome back, twins. It seems you’ve made up?

Heheh, of course. We’re not just sisters, but best friends!

Glad to hear it. That’s the way it should be!

We know! Ah, we need to go and tell Dad, too.

That’s right! We ran out right after our fight… Let’s get back to the atelier!

A new Combination Art for Lydie and Sue “True Twin Power Attack” is unlocked.

Their Parents’ Worries

Dammit… What am I to do now…?

We’re-

Of course, but why do you look so panicked about it?

Why do you think? Honnete is furious!

Mom? What? Why?

For not stopping you two from fighting, of course! But if you’ve made up, everything’s alright. Come on, go and see Honnete at once! Before any permanent damage is done!

Hahaha, Mom is just a worrier. I guess it just means she’s thinking of us?

I guess so. Let’s head into the painting, then. We have to show Mom that everything is fine!

The Promise from their Birth

Hahaha, we’re fine, Mom! Look! As close as ever.

Really? There’s no lingering resentment or anything?

This is how she’s been. Hardly believing you’ve made up.

Hmm, Mom is in stubborn mode… Oh! I know! Hey, Mom. I’ve got a question. You can move between paintings, right?

Yes, it seems that way. Places I’ve been before, and on a time limit too, but yes.

So why don’t we go and take a trip around some other worlds? As a family! To celebrate!

Hey, that’s a great idea! You made that promise, didn’t you? That we’d all travel the painting worlds together… This seems like our chance!

Indeed it does. Sounds good to me! What do you think, Honnete?

I agree, of course! …But if you’re only pretending to have made up, I’m going to get really angry!

We’re fine, promise! Let’s get this family vacation started!

Music: To My Unborn Child - Aoi Tada

(…I wish we didn’t have to start with THIS painting…)

Oh, no… not this again… Dad? Can you read it for us?

Hmm…

Oh, Don’t tell me…

:ghost: Boo!!

KYAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Don’t tell me Suelle is still… ah, well. Some things never change…

Nope!

Ah, it’s time we moved on…

You’ve seen these ice mirrors before, right, Mom?

I have! Many times, actually! But they never lose their luster… they’re just so wondrous!

Hmm… do you hear something?

Stand back, everyone! I’ll…

No need to show off, Dad!

Uwah! Wait for meeeeee!

And now, we’re back in the infer…

Sigh…

Ah, Lydie! Do you need a rest from walking? Good thing we’re in a village…

Ah! Over there, Lydie! Mom! Dad!

Lydie! Sue!

Fuoco!

It’s been a while!

Fuoco, eh…?

We’re the parents of Lydie and Suelle! Thank you for being their friend, Fuoco!

Parents…?

Ah… I dunno if Fuoco knows what parents are…

Lydie! Sue! Let’s play a game of tag!

Sure! This may be your home turf… but we won’t lose!

Here we go!

How wonderful, that they’ve made so many friends! And made friends within the paintings, as well…

Heheh…

And behind us is the place we made up, Mom!

Yeah! A monster showed up and we had to fight it, so I guess you could say it was a bond reforged in fire…

Ah! How wonderful!

Hehehe… get back here, you little scamp!

Hahaha! There’s no way you can catch up to me!

Ah… chalk it up to old age…

…And here’s the spot where we found some Color Fragments!

Mmm! Where we swore to never let anything come between us again!

My! What a lovely sentiment, and an equally lovely view! …Lydie… Suelle…

Thank you for this. For sharing this with me.

Of course!

After all… this is the vacation we were always meant to take! From the day we were born, just as you and Dad promised!

Days Numbered

I know! I’m glad to see that you two really seem to have made up, too. I’m so glad this day came, as well… A chance for us to all travel together! Lydie, Suelle. Thank you. That was a wonderful experience.

I’m glad, Mom. Let’s to it again sometime! Promise!

Yes, I promise… Cough… cough!

Ha… ha… I’m sorry… I think I got a bit too carried away…

I’m sorry, Mom! We pushed you too hard…

No, it’s fine. Seeing you happy is all I need. I’m looking forward to seeing your smiling faces on our next trip already!

OK!

But for now… we oughta head back to Merveille. ‘Til next time, Honnete.

You as well, my treasures!

Now, I’ll really get to test this whole hearing voices thingy…

*cough, cough* Phew, this is odd. It’s happening much faster than I thought… Please! Just give me a little longer, a little longer with them!

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 12, 2019

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

So yeah, poo poo's really going down in the Heavenly Flower Garden right about now, so we'll be diving right into Chapter 11 with the next update!

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I always love seeing a full Firis Bomb go off.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I always love seeing a full Firis Bomb go off.

I'm amazed it took this long in the LP to show off Corundum Nova, if only because I hosed up and forgot to dial the difficulty back down from Very Hard and so I needed all five of Firis' follow-up skills, juiced up by the Starlight Plain's field effect, to finish the job :v:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Part 11-1: The Hell Within Heaven

Honnete’s Hour of Need

Right! Speak up, materials! I’ll make all your wishes come true!

Hehe. You’re totally accustomed to hearing the voices now, aren’t you Sue!

I can’t believe both my daughters have awoken to this power. They say it really is very rare, so seeing you both use it so easily is a bit conflicting for me!

Hehe. It isn’t like we’ve changed! …!!

What’s wrong? Did you hear Mom again?

This is bad! Mom is being attacked!

What?! By monsters?!

I don’t know, but we need to hurry! Dad, can you go right away?

Hey, Lydie! We need to go right away as well!

I know, but we’d better prepare well first. I have a nasty feeling about this.

Alright? Well, if you say so…

On second thought, all our bombs and medicines are restocked. We should be fine… and we need to deal with this immediate threat!

Then let’s go! If you heard Mom being attacked…

Mmm. I get the feeling it happened at the atelier in the heart of the Heavenly Flower Garden… so we need to hurry!

Just above that stairwell… we’ll find whatever threatened Mom!

…Ah!!

The Other Basement

Ahhh! It’s Mom and Dad! And Dad looks like he got banged up pretty bad…

Dad! Mom!

Haah… haah… Lydie! Suelle!

Watch out, girls! This one is tough!

I know! Come on, Sue!

There’s only one punishment strong enough for threatening Mom like this…

Are you alright, Honnete? Stay with us!

I’m fine, thanks. *cough, cough* I was in my atelier and that thing suddenly attacked me.

I don’t know… It might be related to that monster? Mom… you said it suddenly attacked you. Any idea why?

No. It just suddenly came up from the basement. *cough, cough*

The basement? The basement! We’ll go and take a look!

Dad, you keep Mom safe! Please!

Of course. We’re both counting on you, girls.

Now, to the basement… I never imagined we’d have a reason to check down there in this painting…

What is this…?

A painting? But it’s just all black paint…

Black Paint? That reminds me of something…

If you travel to other Paintings, you must beware of the Black Paint.

Yes! Neige! Neige told us to beware the Black Paint!

Maybe she knows about that monster, then? Lydie! We have to go and see her!

Maybe… We’ve got a lead, at least. There’s someone we need to go and talk to.

Haah… haah… I’m sorry… all of this fuss for me…

No need for that, Mom! We’re doing this for you! Just hold on a little longer.

Alright, thank you. Be careful, girls.

Alright, straight to the castle gallery!

Right! Anyway, Lydie… I remember the Frozen Palace being pretty hard to navigate. You know how we can reach Neige’s atelier quickly?

Ah! There’s a door up here that wasn’t here last time…

Hey! Heheh, it’s like Neige wants us to come back for her without too much hassle!

That having been said, looks like we’ll have to poke around a bit before we find her room…

Remplir

Ah! There she is!

Neeeeeeige!

I’m sorry, but you guessed right. Neige… will you please tell us about the Black Paint?

Something has happened, hasn’t it? Tell me the details.

Alright. Neige… have we told you about our mom? She died some time ago, but her Soul Fragment lives on in a Mysterious Painting our dad painted.

And just earlier, we found our mom being attacked by a monster outside her atelier… and after we took that thing out, she told us it came from her atelier’s basement. When we entered, we found a painting that was all black paint…

I see… Black Paint, in a painting inside a painting… Rare, but not impossible. …Tell me. Have you seen black monsters in the painting worlds?

Yes, we have! A number of times!

That makes this easier, then. Those monsters are the Black Paint. They are called Remplir. Remplir take the form of monsters, but they are really distortions of the painting worlds.

Consuming it?…

Yes. Once that happens, it can never be restored. That world will remain black forever. As Remplir increase inside the world, the painting depicting it also starts to turn black. Those stains look like paint, so they are called Black Paint. Do you understand now?

I think so. If Remplir are the cause, though, what will happen to our mom?

Good question. If the process continues, she will surely be eradicated from existence.

No! Neige, is there nothing we can do? We can’t lose our mom again!

I’m sorry… I don’t know how to defeat Remplir. You saw a completely black painting in the basement there, correct? So it’s pretty far along. That means there isn’t much time left…

Thank you, Neige. You’ve explained very clearly about Remplir. But we aren’t going to give up. We’ll find a way to stop the Remplir.

That’s right! Promise with Mom Number 1! “Don’t give up before you even try”! Neige, we’ll come and see you again soon! Sue, back to the atelier!

…“Don’t give up before you even try”… Those two are strong.

We’re home! Now, to commence research…!

The Fruits of their Labor

Any luck, Lydie?

Remplir, Remplir… It’s no good, there’s nothing in any of the books in the atelier!

Then we just have to try elsewhere. A place with loads of books. What do you think?

The Castle Entrance Hall, the Church of Vegne and our teacher’s atelier?

Yes. No time to be complaining about reading! Let’s search them all, Lydie!

Hmm… let’s start with the church! Maybe they’ll have books on how to purge something as unholy as Remplir…

Girls. Are you looking for something?

Ah, Grace. Can we ask you something?

Certainly. You seem worried, so I’ll do my best to answer.

Do you have any books about Remplir… or Black Paint? This church has tons of books, and we thought you’d have something about it.

I’m sorry… I’ve never heard of such a book.

I see… Thank you anyway, Sister Grace.

Hmmmm…

Let’s try the Castle Entrance Hall next!

Remplir! Black Paints! There’s nothing here, either…

I know. But we can’t give up. Let’s try one of the other places, Sue!

Hmmmm…

The last place I have in mind is Teach’s atelier.

It’s as good a bet as any! From all those books Ilmeria uses to give us homework, there’s gotta be something with the answers we need!

Ah, girls! …Girls?

Hey girls, what’s up? Showing up at my atelier and rifling through my books?

Sorry about this, Ilmeria. There’s a book we’re looking for. Something with Black Paint, or Remplir…

I see. Black Paint or Remplir are your key words? I’m sorry, I don’t think I can help.

No need to apologize. Sorry for the trouble!

Hmmmm…

…So we didn’t find any books that could help us. But we’re just getting started! Back to the atelier! Let’s go through everything again!

Alright. There must be something, even the smallest lead, that can help us. …Hold on, Mom! We’ll save you!

:ohdear: Maybe. I wonder if we could help them out?

:cool: Good idea. They always do so much for us. Let’s go and see what Mireille has to say!

I’ve said this before, but… we’re very lucky that our atelier is just down the street from our teacher’s…

Thanks. Time to get started. I should probably go and borrow some books, too.

Gah! Nothing in this batch of books, either…

How are things on your end, Sue?

Nothing… still nothing! Still no leads…

You too, huh… well, we’ve no choice but to keep on looking!

Sigh…

Uwah, I still can’t find a thing! My vision is all blurry… but I’m not giving up now!

Hold on… I think we should take a break. We’ve hardly slept… We can’t afford to collapse!

Good point. Just a little, then. Just a short break…

…Ah! What time is it?

…We’ve slept too long! We have to find out about the Remplir!

Good morning. It seems you’ve had a good night’s sleep.

To bring you this, actually.

“Research on the Biology of the Remplir”…! This is what we’ve been looking for!

Hehe, you can be surprised later. For now, go ahead and read that part.

“Among the Remplir there always exists a massive single entity that acts as their core. If the core is destroyed, the spread of Remplir within that painting should stop. The problem is the strength of the core. Many warriors and alchemists have fallen to it. A way to safely defeat the cores is required in order to secure a future for the painting worlds.”

This means, if we defeat the Remplir core, we can stop their spread and save Mom?

Yes! That’s right! Everyone, thank you! You found this book for us!

Everyone…? What do you mean?

Mireille made a proclamation… to search for books about “Remplir”.

We had quite the response! Everyone wanted to see if they could help you.

They really threw themselves into the task. You do so much for them, after all.

This is also thanks to all your daily hard work, Lydie and Sue!

Wah…! That is incredible…!

Everyone, thank you…! Thank you…!

Come on, you don’t have time to cry. You know what you need to do now, right? So start with that. You can cry and thank us and do whatever else you need to later.

Off you go, then! Good luck, girls!

We’re going to do our best too! See you later!

…I can’t believe everyone did so much to help us! We have to pay them back for this!

Yes! In order to do that, we need to go and defeat the Remplir core! The core must be located inside that black painting. That’s the only location I can think of.

Me too. Even if we’re wrong, we’ll search every corner of the Heavenly Flower Garden!

You said it. Let’s go, Lydie! And of course, I think Mom and Dad will want to know all about what we’ve learned…

Saving Honnete

Oh…? Do tell, my dears!

The citizens of Merveille found us a book about the biology of the Remplir… the Black Paint monsters that infest the paintings.

Our hunch is that in the black painting in this atelier’s basement, we’ll find the Remplir Core that’s consuming this painting.

Remplir… To think that there were such things inside the paintings…

But it will be alright! I bet the reason you’re not feeling well is because of the Remplir, too, Mom!

That’s right! If we defeat the core, you’ll get better, Mom!

Hold on, though… Isn’t the core incredibly strong? Rather than putting you in danger, it might be better if I just… *cough, cough*

We’ll be fine. We’ve gotten a lot stronger while you were away!

We’ve defeated lots of monsters and become much better alchemists, too.

No matter what awaits us, we can handle it. Leave this to us, Mom!

Alright… I believe in you.

Right! Both of you, take these with you!

Liberte Ring and Sauveur Ring received!

Yes. I made those rings using alchemy. I know they’ll keep you safe. You take care of the core. Do your best, Lydie, Sue!

Thank you, Dad! Hmm…

I know what you’re thinking, Lydie… it’d be best to go home first and upgrade our equipment for this showdown, right?

Yes. There’s also some other things we can synthesize in preparation for this battle. Though we can’t afford to dawdle too long…

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Oh dang, I was wondering how that whole warning was going to play out. That’s very sweet how the whole town came together to try and help :3:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Shirec posted:

Oh dang, I was wondering how that whole warning was going to play out. That’s very sweet how the whole town came together to try and help :3:

To think, the twins have went from being teased by their neighbors for being incompetent alchemists who run an "odd jobs store" at the beginning of the game, to being respected, relied upon, and now repaid in their and their mother's hour of need. We've really come full circle, folks :unsmith:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Part 11-2: Paint-Purging Preparations

First, we’re due for a weapons check!

Or stronger equipment! Off to Hagel’s!

Haaaa-

The Ultimate Weapons

Because of that concert?

Hey! You saw that, didn’t you?

Yeah. It was all very unexpected, though. I wasn’t sure what I was even seeing.

Hahaha, glad to hear it! That was one hot performance! I made all sorts of plans with Pamela, and I’m glad they all worked out!

I’m just glad you didn’t get arrested, doing that right in front of the castle!

Hahaha! I bet the king is a fan, too! What do you think, girls? How about joining us up on the stage next time…

Gah, you’re no fun… Moving on! To tell you the truth, I did learn one thing from that performance.

Yes? What is it, Hagel? You look so serious, all of a sudden!

Listen to this. At the end of the concert, I dived into the crowd. Unfortunately, by doing so, I totally busted my back!

Hah! Sounds like you got what you deserved…

It was all sorts of fun, so I don’t mind, but it wasn’t all nice… I’m not a young man anymore. I can’t push myself so hard!

I think that kind of foolishness should be avoided, regardless of your age!

So I have an idea! Before my body gives out, I want to forge the ultimate weapon!

Huh…

That’s not much of a reaction! You know what I’m going to say next, right?

What? We can leave?

You’re joking! I want you to get me the materials using your alchemy!

I guessed as much… What kind of materials do you want, then?

Right. It’s a metal, and it’s called Harnonian. Nope, Harmonican? Harminimum? Anyway, it’s really hard to make, even using alchemy. But I bet you two can do it!

Alright. If this is to make a weapon, I guess we can help you.

Well said, girls! The most beautiful sisters in the city! I’m counting on you!

Ah! Yes! This is Hagelnium!

You mean Harmonium.

That’s right, that’s the stuff. Now I can make the ultimate weapon! Right, let’s get started at once! I need your help too, girls! Lend me all of your knowledge as alchemists!

Hahaha! When you put it like that… We can’t turn you down, Hagel!

That’s right! Let’s combine our strengths and create the ultimate weapon!

Alright! For Harmonium, this is the melting point…

Right! I’ll need that knowledge for your staff and for Sue’s guns…

Leave it to Lydie to be able to figure that out…

Ah, so a blow like… THIS… will procure the specs you need…

Just a little more, Hagel!

You got this!

We did it!

This is our weapon! A weapon among weapons, the ultimate weapon!

Me too! We’ve made something really incredible, haven’t we?

Of course! Made by Merveille’s greatest blacksmith and its two future greatest alchemists! It’s so amazing, the word “amazing” can’t do it justice!

Hagel…! You’re right!

Bloom Spiral and Star Suelle received.

You two girls, too, have really grown up. All your advice back there really helped me out.

Hey, Hagel! No need to cry! Please, you’re going to make us choke up!

Heeey, one thiiiing! Please, keep coming! Keep coming to my shoooooop! No matter how impressive you get, I’ll make anything you might need! I promise!

Sure! We understand! We’ll come! We’ll keep coming for sure! So please, Hagel! Just stop crying!

Especially since we have some orders for you!

Hmm… what if we doubled up on the Harmonium for my new Star Suelle?

Impressive! And the Harmonium you made is especially well-crafted to boot… so it’ll really give these guns a boost across the board!

Now that that’s done… I’m guessing you also want to do the same for your staff, Lydie?

Yes! And since Velvetis—and Harmonium—both count as Hidden Power…

Next up, we can upgrade Firis’ Shooting Star, but this time with Harmonium instead of Gold Eisen!

Woohoo! Though, I wish we had specs for an even stronger bow that could let us use this Harmonium…

Anyway, time to attach the weapon cores. So my Firis’ new Shooting Star will need the Emblem of Gordian Knot from her old one…

…And my Star Suelle will need the Orb of Divine Speed from my old pair of guns!

Now it’s time to make armor! The finest armor Hagel can forge!

Depending on who it’s for, we can use Harmonium or Velvetis for the Hidden Power component. We just have to be sure to emphasize the wearer’s strengths in battle.

We just have to make enough of them for everyone!

Now that that’s done with, let’s go to Liane’s!

Friends of Firis

Yes, of course! It’s a lot of fun spending time with her!

That’s right. She makes a real effort to be friendly with us, to be honest!

Good. Hehe, I’m glad to hear it.

Hmm. What’s up? Why did you suddenly ask that?

No, I was just thinking. I guess I don’t have to worry about that with Firis anymore…

That? Anymore? What do you mean?

I’m sure you’ve already heard, but she didn’t leave her hometown until she was already grown up… There were no kids her age there, and she works so hard, she didn’t really have any friends. I was just remembering that, so I thought I’d ask you both about it.

I see… Hehe, nothing to worry about, Liane! I simply can’t imagine Firis having no friends! The very idea seems impossible to me!

Firis is so bright and cheerful, people just gather around her.

Of course. Of course, she’s Firis, after all! Thank you for talking to me about this, girls. She’s trying to act all mature, but at heart she’s still just a sweet girl seeking affection. So please, Lydie, Sue. Will you continue to be friends with Firis?

Hehe, thanks! And as a reward, I have a rare recipe book for you! I bet you two can make great use of it…

You know what? I think we very much can… We’ll take it!

I’ll allow it…

Hehe, thank you.

Now, I want to try my hand making a Magic Stone Chain in particular. It’ll need a Smaragd, a Ruby, a Sapphire, and one other gem.

The Chain Effect is most crucial, since it increases the power of any move we use that hits the enemy multiple times. I can think of some moves our party has for which that’ll really come in handy…

So this Ancient Water will come in handy to help us get there!

With a Ruby as the catalyst, we could make ourselves two of these…

Mmm… Firis and Alt are probably our best two candidates for the Magic Stone Chains.

Moving on! You notice how our skills were much more powerful in the Starlight Plain? Well, what if we could enjoy that power trip wherever we went?

There we go! These traits will allow us to use the Star Sprinkler for its effects without wasting too much time… and of course, make it cheaper for Corneria to refill!

You said it, Lydie! Anyway, that’s all the prep I can think of for now… So off to the other basement!

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I'm feeling very, very sorry for the final boss.
E: and for the post-game final boss

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
The parts of these games where you go mad with power are always my favourite parts.

I never take the difficulty off Very Hard for this reason.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Hey, only the best for Mom, right? :unsmigghh:

Unfortunately as anyone who's gone down the postgame boss rabbit hole can tell you, there's a few weapon core traits I failed to procure that would have let Firis murder everything even harder; I'll have those in time when I actually get there, though, since Firis' firepower just might fall short otherwise.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

MarquiseMindfang posted:

The parts of these games where you go mad with power are always my favourite parts.

I never take the difficulty off Very Hard for this reason.

Mad with power happens roughly when you can craft tier 2 bombs/attack items.

This is not mad with power, the same way an hurricane is not wind.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Hey, only the best for Mom, right? :unsmigghh:

Unfortunately as anyone who's gone down the postgame boss rabbit hole can tell you, there's a few weapon core traits I failed to procure that would have let Firis murder everything even harder; I'll have those in time when I actually get there, though, since Firis' firepower just might fall short otherwise.

My memory is failing me because it's been a while since I played this. I minmaxed as hard as I could and I was able to beat...uh, the ones that level up every time you beat them. I don't know if those are the hardest ones out there or if I got bored and wandered off before killing the actual hardest.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

MarquiseMindfang posted:

My memory is failing me because it's been a while since I played this. I minmaxed as hard as I could and I was able to beat...uh, the ones that level up every time you beat them. I don't know if those are the hardest ones out there or if I got bored and wandered off before killing the actual hardest.

I'm talking Persistent Attack and especially Barrage Attack, which add additional hits and also increase skill power. Even in their base forms, the postgame bosses you mentioned have enough HP even on Normal that I feel I might fall short of being able to beat them outright with a Firis bomb without these traits.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Ah, right. I didn't get those either and I still swatted those two on Very Hard handily. I just went all the way crazy on equipment making.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Ah, right. I didn't get those either and I still swatted those two on Very Hard handily. I just went all the way crazy on equipment making.

What level were you at? Since I intend to fight em both in their base forms early on in the final chapter and won't even be level 50 for it (and so I'll have to work with whatever stats my party has at that point)

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Part 11-3: The Black Horizon

Descent into Hell

No, I’m fine. What about you?

I’m fine, too. We’re doing this to save Mom, after all!

Right. Come on.

Music: Pursuit of the Truth -Lydie-

Lydie, Suelle… Please, be careful.

It’s here… I can sense it, somehow. The Remplir core is here.

Me too. How strong do you think it is?

I don’t know. But we don’t have to worry.

Hahaha, you’re right. Because we’ve got some serious backup!

What is this place? The air is so heavy in here!

I know. Despair… Fear… Resentment… Anger… There are all sorts of negative emotions in here.

I know. We can’t let them turn the Heavenly Flower Garden into this nightmare. For Lydie and Sue’s sake, too, we have to defeat the Remplir core!

You’re right! They’re quite a handful, but they also help us with so much. I don’t want to see them looking sad. Smiles suit them so much better.

Only you could come up with something so corny, Mathias!

Corny! Hey! You’d mock me even at a time like this?

I thought maybe I’d relieve the tension a little. We can’t defeat the Remplir core without you. …This is going to be a tough battle. Not just you, Mathias, but everyone. We’ll need all your power!

That’s alright, Alt! I’m ready for anything. We can’t possibly lose! We’ll defeat the Remplir core with ease!

That’s right. If we combine our strengths, there’s no foe we can’t defeat. …Not that I have any basis for this! But everything has worked out until now, hasn’t it?

You’re all so optimistic… Still, I do feel like this time, maybe we really can change the future! I’ll give it my all, too, in order to let the flowers of the future bloom.

… Who’s getting corny now, Alt?

Haha, I’ll take that as a compliment.

Right. Come on, everyone!

We’re counting on all of you! Thanks so much for coming with us!

Because now begins the task of actually scouting out this hellscape!

Music: Pursuit of the Truth -Suelle-

“Painted over” doesn’t do this world justice… everything we’re looking at looks abandoned, decrepit, and annihilated…

Mmm… Just being here is draining… and the resident monsters fit the theme, to boot… hey!

Music: Albireo

We really ARE weaker in here!

And this small fry isn’t worth our time when we have to look for the Remplir core… so run for it!

This sounds lovely…

Fits the atmosphere, though… onward!

Hm, there’s a fork in the road… which way should we go?

Hmm… Let’s try the left fork!

The crumbling amphitheater and the arches in the background… they really add to the feel of a lost grandeur, never to return…

If there’s anywhere that this post-apocalyptic urban landscape was going to lead us…

You said it, Sue… Imagining something like this befalling any city is a bit much for me to countenance…

Even aside from the ruined buildings… just look at all the shops! No vendors, no customers, nobody to tend to the abandoned wares…

Nobody’s stolen the goods, but… it feels like this market has been robbed of something much more important. Of life, of light, of happiness…

Dunkelheit, huh… Even in a place like this, we can find such a potent, wondrous elixir…

It’s something, I guess. Now we’re in a park… but who’s even around to enjoy this thing?

Could you imagine the Garden of Merk being empty or abandoned like this? I couldn’t…

At this point, we must be getting close. So we’d better be ready for anything…

Uwah! What was that noise?

It sounded like a roar of something! Could it be the Remplir core?

Which means this is it. Are you ready?

Yes, of course! Let’s carry on!

Would you look at that! Spectators, for the climactic showdown…

Heh…

Well then… there’s no doubt what awaits us at the top of this staircase!

The Heart of Darkness

There! Is that the Remplir core?

Looks like it. If we defeat that thing, we can stop the damage to the painting.

That sounds good. For Mom’s sake, we need to defeat this thing!

We don’t want Dad’s painting to suffer any more damage, either!

Music: Filling the shade - Anna Okazaki

First things first…

Now, let’s get this started!

So that this thing can never touch us…

…Lydie!

On it!

Hehe, this should do the trick…

Now, to repaint this battlefield into something easier on the eyes…

There we-

Gah!!

Uwah… looks like the Star Sprinkler is quite the double-edged sword. Best be careful about how and when to use it…

Right you are! That having been said…

Light it up, Firis!!

You got it, Sue!

Now, to freeze hell over!

Burn in hell!!

This’ll blow you a-

Graaaaaaa… aaa…

That’s… all it took?

Yes! We won! We won, Sue!

That’s right! Our total victory! Now we can be with Mom forever!

I bet there was a beautiful world in here once…

I know. But we can’t do anything about that, can we? Come on, back to Mom. I bet Dad is worried too.

Yeah! Race you back to the atelier in the painting!

…Hey, no fair! You can’t say that after you start running, Lydie!

Haha. It was all worth it, wasn’t it? To see them so happy.

I guess it was. I got uncharacteristically carried away there. I’m pretty worn out!

That puts an end to the core, anyway. Let’s get back and take a rest ourselves.

Huh? Oh, it’s nothing. Come on, let’s catch up to them!

Uwah, they’ve already run all that way ahead already! Hey, wait up, girls!

Hmm… I can’t shake this feeling that this isn’t over. That despite destroying the Remplir core… despite saving the Heavenly Flower Garden… that this won’t be happily ever after for Lydie, Sue or Honnete, just yet…

Obtained Jet Black Tile Fragments!

They’ll come back… they’ll come back to me, in one piece…

The Cruel Truth and a New Promise

Mom!

Lydie! Suelle!

Hey, Mom! Let me breathe…!

You sure do worry too much, Mom. We told you it would be alright!

I was still worried, see? I’m so glad you’re back!

Haha, it all worked out.

Yes! Welcome back, Lydie, Suelle.

Heheh, thanks, Mom. How are you feeling? We defeated the Remplir core for you!

I feel a lot better. Thank you, both of you.

Great. Now we can be together forever, Mom!

Are you sure?

Yes. If I don’t tell them now, I’m sure I’ll regret it. …Girls, I’m sorry… I don’t think we can be together forever, even after all this.

What? Why not? If you’re feeling better then there’s nothing…

I think, before too long, I’m going to vanish.

Vanish? Why?! But we defeated the core!

Before those monsters even appeared… Sometimes, I felt my consciousness getting distant… Recently, that’s been happening more often. I don’t know if I have a year, a month or a day… But I’m sure I will vanish, eventually. I know my own body, what’s left of it, after all.

No way… Why?

…I think it’s my fault. I didn’t complete a complete world… This painting was only finally completed when you made those paints and restored it. The painting was unfinished until that point… Barely functioning as a world. That’s why the Remplir spread so quickly. This painting was left unfinished for too long.

Dad, come on. This isn’t your fault.

If you hadn’t painted this, we would have never seen Mom again.

The girls are right. I’m grateful to you, Roger. I want the three of you to be happy…

Sue… I guess this means it’s time.

Right. She has to know about our plans…

Mom… we’ve got a new dream now.

A new dream…?

Yes, for after we’ve become the greatest atelier in the kingdom.

Oh, lovely! Tell me.

To become alchemists who can help everyone!

Alchemists for everyone’s sake…?

Yes. We’ve learned so much through alchemy, and been helped by so many people. Our teacher, Lucy, Mireille and Mathias… Firis, Alt and Sophie… And even more people than that! Everyone in the city, even!

So we want to pay them back, if we can. We’re happiest when people say “Thank you” to us. That’s why our new dream is to become alchemists who can help everyone.

Once we’re the greatest atelier in the kingdom, that’s the next thing we want to become… No! “Want” isn’t strong enough. That’s what we’ll definitely become. We promise you, Mom!

We’re going to make this dream come true. So please, Mom, please… Will you watch over us…? …Uwaaaah! Mooooooom!

It’s a promise… right…? Uwaaaah!

Even when I do vanish… Even when I’ll never be able to see you again…
I’ll be watching over you, wherever I am. Supporting you in completing your dream!
…Lydie… Suelle…

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 12, 2019

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. I'm surprised there wasn't some boss reaction when you repainted the world dyed black. Or was that the counterstrike after you used the star sprinkler?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Glazius posted:

Huh. I'm surprised there wasn't some boss reaction when you repainted the world dyed black. Or was that the counterstrike after you used the star sprinkler?

The core has no reaction moves that I'm aware of. The meteors dropping and costing everyone on the frontline 60 MP is just the field effect of the Starlight Plain, which happens whenever you use an item there (and thus whenever you use the Star Sprinkler to turn the battlefield into the Starlight Plain).

I didn't give the core a chance to attack in this run, though it's got some nasty poo poo I'll go over in due time.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

:ohdear: I can't tell which way the plot is going to go. I always think the Atelier games have such sweet and personal stories and I really like this one. I was kind of surprised to see Lucia not feature at all, as she knew the twin's mom I assume? Or maybe that's cause she's DLC so she's not gonna be there like Sophie and Firis are.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Shirec posted:

:ohdear: I can't tell which way the plot is going to go. I always think the Atelier games have such sweet and personal stories and I really like this one. I was kind of surprised to see Lucia not feature at all, as she knew the twin's mom I assume? Or maybe that's cause she's DLC so she's not gonna be there like Sophie and Firis are.

Yeah it’s cutscene canon here so only the OG 6 party members show up for the final boss fight. And Lucia absolutely knew Roger and Honnete and about their relation to her but I guess the twins didn’t drop by her Atelier to tell them what was up this chapter :shrug:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Chapter 10/11 debrief

Strides made, promises made, promises kept, paintings explored and saved, and a crushing, sobering truths revealed… and now S Rank is finally in sight for the twins!

But of course, the twins had a huge spat before getting there, which the game treats as a huge oh poo poo oh poo poo oh shiiiiiit moment.

All side events are off while the twins are having their spat…

Probably because nobody in the entire city of Merveille knows how (or wants) to deal with them when they’re at each other’s throats, I guess. But of course, this spat doesn’t happen until after you finish the A Rank exam. And to take that exam, you need to complete enough ambitions:

To get All-In Super Bomb, you have to do this request. You get the Ashes of Origin with Top Fashion by catching an Old Master with the Liebel Crown Gold Rod, using it as (Oil) for Blue Neutralizer, using this Blue Neutralizer to make Zettel, and finally using this Zettel as (Fuel) for Ashes of Origin.
For Super-speed Wind-up Key, you have to do this request and defeat a pack of Man o’ War in the Dawn Realm. Firis bomb them fast and hard, because they have some nasty debuffs that’ll really put the hurt on you if you let them attack.

Now, CGs in the order they appeared! So fair warning: that one CG with Lucia comes first.

CGs
D-Don’t Forget!
Roar…?
A Mysterious, Mysterious Tale
Hey, Are You Listening?
Urgh…

1.03 Scene:
The Merveille Endurance Race

Combination Arts:
Rainbow Codex (Lydie/Sophie)
Avars Order (Lydie/Lucia)
Firis and Sue Surprise (Sue/Firis)
Crimson Treasures (Firis/Ilmeria)
Since the Composer’s Notes has nothing for Combination Arts added as DLC, the track that plays during Crimson Treasures riffs from Determination to Strike from Atelier Firis.
True Twin Power Attack (Lydie/Sue)

Location Notes and Memos:
Mysterious Paintings:

This painting world lets you watch the beautiful night sky. Flowers and fruits of stars… You’re assured of seeing many star-related items here.

This painting world was painted over by Remplir. The previous world has lost all of its sights and vistas. It’s so sad…

Bestiary Notes:

Not much to Firis as a boss you beat for her letter of recommendation; you can easily stall her out with Lightning Crystals until she goes down.

At this stage of the game, I had plenty of game-breaking items up my sleeve (Lightning Crystals for stalling, Blizzard Weave with 999 Quality and +5 Use Distilled Water, the Firis bomb juiced up by a Lucky Coin and a Magic Stone Chain, and the Star Sprinkler) that I could easily stall the Remplir Core out until I was ready to let loose with the Firis bomb. I didn’t want to let it land a hit, because if it does, it can inflict the Seal ailment on its target, which disables all commands except for Attack and Switch. No items, no skills, no nothing. As you can imagine, your frontline getting sealed can turn this fight from a breeze into a miserable slog, and it has an attack waiting in the wings which can instantly KO your entire frontline.

If it comes to a point where you have to tank a hit, then I recommend equipping your frontliners with an Ange Parune with the first (yellow) effect maxed out for Nullify All Ailments, so that the Core can’t cripple your frontliners

Music:
Gazing Upon the Same Star -Lydie-
A plain beneath a beautiful starry sky. I felt that Lydie would keep gazing up forever if she could, so I kept the tempo nice and slow. In reality, there are very few situations in which you find yourself genuinely moved by natural beauty. Somehow, there’s always an element of embarrassment holding you back… (Yanagawa)

Gazing Upon the Same Star -Suelle-
I can imagine Sue crying out “It’s so pretty!” and scampering around like a puppy. I think I’ve written this before, but I believe the image of a girl on an open field is such a picturesque one! It’s not the sort of thing you ever see in real life. And if you did see it, staying and staring at it could get you in trouble… (Yanagawa)

Pursuit of the Truth -Lydie-
This is Lydie’s music for The Black Horizon. “Make it sound like the final dungeon!” That’s what I was told, but how to do that…? After much thought, this is what I came up with. I did this in the previous title too, but it shares the introductory phase with the music for the boss battle. (Yano)

Pursuit of the Truth -Suelle
This is Suelle’s music for The Black Horizon. The drums in this version are recorded live, giving the piece a more “rock” feel. I wanted to really suggest her determination to settle matters with the Black Paint, and to make the player feel that the game is reaching its climax. While maintaining this sense of drama and drive, I also took care with the arrangement to make sure it didn’t sound like battle music. (Yano)

Hydrangea -Part 3-
This is the first eight-beat piece of music I have been involved in in the Atelier series. The chorus has a singalong feel featuring a call-and-response rhythm, so in order to make this more easily understood, I decided to arrange the piece in a piano rock style. I really got into it, and pounded the keys so hard that by the time the deadline was upon me, my right middle finger was bleeding internally. It really hurt. (Yano)

Sunflower -Part 3-
The battle music from the latter part of the game. It seems at first that Sue's newfound maturity is reflected in the fact that there is an intro… but then that intro ends up moving first into the straight verse - as impatiently as ever. The subsequent melody is taken from Etel Nepica. That's right - she's been through a lot, and grown up. Oh, and the wild base line - that's just me having some fun. (Yanagawa)

Albireo
In terms of the story, I guess this is the battle music from near the dramatic climax. Flow-wise, this is where you want the music to rise to a crescendo, so I strove to create a heroic tone, to which I added a range of twinkling, sparkling instruments to suggest fairies fluttering around. (Achiwa)

Journey to the Beyond
This is Firis’s battle theme. It’s an arrangement of the grand ending theme of the previous title in the series. The original track featured a complex time signature, but this time we have kept it to a simple, catchy four-four beat. The instrument selection differs slightly in general between the previous title and this one, but for this track only we have stuck to the style of the previous title. This is one of the unique joys of working on a long-running series. (Yano)
So yeah, this track samples from the (second) ending credits theme to Firis. Have a listen, if you’re interested.

Passionate Twin Attack
A short jingle used when executing a special move. These are similar in use to the finishing jingles from earlier titles in the series, but in this title they are played when combination moves are used. This one is for the protagonist twins, Lydie and Sue. Obviously, this was always going to be an arrangement of the theme song. (Achiwa)

Seven-Colored Codex
This is for Sophie and Lydie’s combination attack. It samples the melody of a certain tune - I wonder if anyone can tell which. (Achiwa)
The answer being the last section of Sophie’s theme.

Firis Surprise
Firis and Sue’s combination move jingle. This piece has a really typical Atelier feel - fantastical and yet comical at the same time. Based on Firis’s personality, it is a cheerful march. (Achiwa)

To My Unborn Child
Another featured track, which plays during the family trip event. Aoi Tada is on vocals. The sound director asked us for something with lyrics from the point of view of the mother, so we decided to do that here… Little did we know that Aoi Tada herself was due to give birth just after the recording! […] I’ve written a lot of lyrics in my career, but this was the first time I’d ever tried to write them from the point of view of an expectant mother… I have to admit it was a difficult birth… If you know what I mean. Aoi Tada entered the recording booth together with her own unborn child. I remember fondly her commenting to me that the two of them had recorded this song together. (Yano)

Filling the shade
This soundtrack for the final boss fight! It’s the first time I’ve ever written one of these. Vocals are provided by Anna Okazaki! I made a conscious effort throughout the title to reduce the amount of electric guitar used, and this track is no exception. In its place, to represent the image of the worlds within the paintings, synthesizers are used more frequently. HIROTOMO is on bass, TAM on violin, and SI.V on guitar. […] Along with the motif from the main theme of this title, this track also features the motifs of battle tracks from the two previous titles in the series. I wonder if anyone noticed that? Thank you so much for playing the game to the end. It proved a challenging title musically in many different ways, but I hope you enjoyed it. I am very much looking forward to meeting you all again someday, somewhere! (Yano)
The two tracks from Atelier Firis and Atelier Sophie featured are Blue Skies and (I believe) Warrior’s Strike, in that order.

DEBRIEF debrief:
So where was the story to go after the twins had their emotional reunion with Honnete in the Heavenly Flower Garden? Many places, as it turned out—not least because Honnete’s soul fragment is slated to disappear in the near future! So this shadow of a second death for Honnete hangs over the twins as they now enter the final stretch of their quest to fulfill their promise to her, and as they begin to ponder how to fulfill their new ambition and new promise to her: to use alchemy to make others happy, as Sophie and Firis decided before them. It also meant that even though the twins destroyed the Remplir Core and saved the Heavenly Flower Garden, they didn’t accomplish they really sought out to do: to save Honnete once and for all, after they’d finally gotten her back after all these years.

But this can’t be how it ends, right? For Honnete to just die again? After all, it’s the twins’ catchphrase, and their most important promise with her: “Don’t give up before you even try!” And there are more loose ends with the friends the twins have made along this journey: how will the succession to the throne of Adalet be resolved? Will Sophie and Plachta finally achieve their dream? Will Firis ever get over the atelier she ran with Ilmeria? What of the teacher-student relationship between Ilmeria and the twins? And just what skeletons does Alt have in his closet? Could resolving these loose ends be key to helping the twins achieve the ultimate happiness?

…Tune in for the final chapter to find out!

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 12, 2019

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

I was reminded the other day in the main Atelier thread about Totori’s dad and his whole invisible gag, and was thinking how it contrasted with the twins. I know it’s a necessary thing for the whole personal growth character arc but I do wish there could be an Atelier game with active and involved parents. Maybe both alive!

I am excited to see where this goes though. I have some ideas but Atelier games seem to go from 0 to bugfuck bananas really quick

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Shirec posted:

I was reminded the other day in the main Atelier thread about Totori’s dad and his whole invisible gag, and was thinking how it contrasted with the twins. I know it’s a necessary thing for the whole personal growth character arc but I do wish there could be an Atelier game with active and involved parents. Maybe both alive!

I am excited to see where this goes though. I have some ideas but Atelier games seem to go from 0 to bugfuck bananas really quick

They're both alive and well in Rorona but are kinda deadbeats

The most active, involved, positive mom is Rorona herself, in Lulua. Most active, positive dad is probably Roger lol

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Part L-1: The Last Beginnings

The Final Round of Requirements

Right, so the cauldron should be at this temp…

Hold on, is that who I think it is at the door?

It’s here!

P-Puni?

Ah, no need to be scared. We just need to get our hands on those exam conditions!

Thank you. Alrighty, then… I guess S Rank as always going to be demanding.

Of course. But we can do it. After all… It’s us, Sis! We’ve got this!

Hahaha, you’re right. There’s nothing we can’t do! Let’s do it!

…He-heh. Ah, and the subsidy of 10000 Coll…

Ah, right. We’d better put that away before you get any funny ideas.

Uwah! That’s just too harsh, Lydie…

Anyway, there’s so many other great alchemists in this city. A lot of them could viably reach S Rank before we do… so why don’t we ask around? About the state of the competition?

Sounds like a plan, Sue! Let’s start with Teach, since she’s right down the street!

The State of the Competition

Ah, perfect timing! Sorry, but can you give me a hand?

Ah, of course! We’ll dive right in! Now, then, what do you need help with for this synthesis?

Hey, Miss! How may I help you today?

After all was said and done…

Thanks so much. I’ve got so much on my plate already, and then that bunch showed up!

Your atelier really is popular, isn’t it?

Haha, what are you talking about? YOUR atelier is the talk of the town! You’re even aiming for S Rank, aren’t you? Soon enough you’ll just overtake me.

Ah, come on! You could become S Rank whenever you wanted, surely?

It’s not that easy. It takes more than alchemic skill to raise your rank. I’ve had so much work recently, too, I haven’t had time to consider my rank at all!

Hahaha, it must be tough being so busy!

So please, girls, go right ahead and surpass me! It’s your dream to become the greatest in the kingdom, right? Well, you’re almost there!

Mmm… we will! Thank you, Ilmeria!

Next up… Firis was at B Rank last we heard, right? And Sophie and Plachta are living with her now… That’s a lot of big names under one roof, so we oughta check in!

That’s right! Although I’m not sure we can even take the exam yet…

Hahaha, you’ll be fine. You’ll do it, no problem. Just keep up the good work!

This Atelier Rank stuff is harder than I expected… I can’t seem to get past B Rank.

What? Really? That’s unexpected.

It’s because you have to raise the reputation of your atelier, too.

I’m always out and about, so I often miss chances to work.

Ah, I see. I guess that makes sense.

Miss Sophie isn’t any better! She doesn’t like the Ranking System either, so she won’t help me.

Hahaha… I don’t like those kinds of restrictions. I’m not good with them.

Anyway, the two of you seem to be doing well increasing your reputation. You’ve almost become the greatest atelier in the kingdom! We’re supporting you all the way!

Thank you, both of you!

That was kind of surprising to hear, but… I guess it makes sense. Alchemy for Firis has always been a means to an end… to realize her dreams of traveling the world. Having a high Atelier Rank here is just icing on the cake.

Right. Anyway, where to next?

Hmm… let’s go to Alt’s atelier! After all, his place would be en route to Atelier Borthayre, anyway.

Sounds like a plan!

No, not yet. We’re still working on it.

What about you, then, Alt? What rank are you?

I got bored of the whole thing, to be honest.

Yeah. I did reach B Rank… but I don’t really need any money, and I can already do all the alchemy I like. So I can’t be bothered with raising my rank any higher. That’s all.

Wow… So decisive. That’s just like you, Alt.

You think so? Let’s just leave it at that, anyway. Your goal is to raise your Atelier Rank and become the greatest in the kingdom, though, right? So you need to push on through! I’m sure it will work out, so long as you don’t give up.

That’s the plan! Thanks for the advice, Alt! Hehe… now, then…

Hahaha, we can’t lag behind you forever. What rank are you now, anyway?

I’m A Rank too, thank you very much. Drop your guard and I’ll reach S Rank before you!

I see. A powerful opponent appears. We’d better be careful not to lose to you!

That’s right. We’ll take you on fair and square, Lucia!

Yes, of course. M-Me too.

See you later, then!

…That was a surprise. I thought Sue was going to come out with her normal “You’ll never reach S Rank, Lucia!” She would never have faced me head on like that before… They’ve both grown up so much! …Bah, this isn’t the time to be congratulating them! They are my rivals!

So that’s that, then. It’s just Lucia we’re competing with for S Rank, in the end. Since Alt is already financial stable…

…And all he wants is to practice alchemy. Not the glory or fanfare of S Rank. Anyway, now that we’re here… why don’t we drop in at the castle?

To check in with Mireille, right? Might as well! She’s been watching over us all this time, after all!

Mireille! We’re…

Hmmmm…

I know! You’ve finally realized how cute we are!

No, that’s not it. Actually, I was thinking how mature you look. How grown up.

Uwah, you just came out and said it! You don’t need to be so direct.

Hahaha! Mireille, you really think we’ve changed that much?

Uwah! You aren’t holding back today, are you!

You think? Yet now, those two useless twins from back then now own one of the best ateliers in the kingdom. The look in your eyes, your alchemy skills, and your mindset overall have completely changed.

Heheh, do you really think so? It does make me happy to hear you say that.

Keep it up, then! I want to see you be the first to reach the glory of S Rank! I support you all the way, Lydie, Sue!

No problem! We’ll be known far and wide for having the cutest possible atelier in the kingdom!

Ah, well… If that’s what you want?

Hahaha… Maybe not me…

Bah! You two are no fun…

Hehe, sorry… oh, since we’re here… why don’t we go to the Frozen Palace?

Sure! I’m sure Neige wants to know how things worked out with the Remplir, after all…

Thank you, Neige. We actually managed to work something out!

Really? That’s great to hear…

Hehehe, you’re so kind, Neige. You’ve been worrying about us?

Hah! Who’d worry about you two? I’m worried about your soul fragment mother! Because she’s just like me.

Oh yeah? We’re kind enough to leave it at that, I suppose.

Gah! Stop grinning like that, you dummy! G-Get out of here! Or else I’ll call some monsters!

A-alright, alright! We’ll come again soon, Neige!

…If they saved their mother, that means they took care of the Remplir, somehow… Such a thing was impossible when I was alive. Time has gone on without me, it seems. …I’ve got this eternal life. After all my regrets, maybe, I can help them… Even from inside here. To do everything they can to help someone again… That’s what an alchemist does.

Alright! Now, to go home and get back to the grind…

It was fun catching up with everyone, but now we oughta redouble our efforts!

The Ultimate Bomb

Uwah, this sounds suspicious. If you acted like that on the street, you’d be arrested!

Suspicious? I’m cool! Anyway, I’ve had another good idea, so I need your help.

Ugah! Just hearing that phrase brings back a bunch of horrible memories!

Come on, Dad. You’re a licensed alchemist, after all. Stop with these crazy ideas! Okay?

Never! Alchemy is all about imagination. The day you stop trying is the day you stop growing. That’s why I’m always using the power of flexible thinking to try and create new recipes!

Gah, and now you’re almost making sense! Very well. We’ll help you again.

Although I bet we’ll regret it… What’s the item this time, then?

Now this sounds really dangerous. Lydie! It isn’t too late to back out of this!

You’re right, Sue. Dad, forget we said anything! We’re not going to help…

Foolish girls, you can’t escape now! Here’s your list!

If you don’t help, I think I’ll quietly coat Sue’s guns with honey! Hahaha! Imagine the terror, as hundreds of insects crawl toward your beloved weapons!

Hahaha, call me whatever you like! I’ll do whatever it takes, for the sake of my alchemy! You know what you have to do, girls. I’m just going to step out and buy some honey!

Fiend! Monster! Uwah, Lydie…

Cheer up, Sue. …Dad really is good for nothing, though, isn’t he? He also seems to be enjoying himself a bit more now… I guess we could help him a little? …Dad! We have the bombs ready!

Roger Inspiration Condition: Give him 21 bombs of any kind.

That was incredible, girls! Hahaha! You’ve stirred up my creative soul!

Now that he’s at it, Sue…

You too, Lydie? My spine is shivering just watching him right now…

It’s finished! This is it, girls! The bomb among bombs! The ultimate explosive, which (I bet) countless alchemists have sought since history began!

I heard that! But yes, it does look like quite a bomb.

Yeah. Let me take a look… ah!

Phew, that was close. I almost dropped it!

I’m glad you didn’t… Talk about the party getting wiped out! More like the world…

…What? Dad, just how explosive is this thing?

Let me see. If it ever did explode, well… It could crack the planet…

W-What?! Why would you ever mae such a thing?! I almost ended existence as we know it, just now!

Indeed. I think you’d better handle it with a little more care! Here’s the recipe, anyway.

No, don’t be like that. You’ve grown up a lot! I bet…

I’m not falling for it! I’m not falling for any more of your tricks!

It would be a shame to waste it. I tucked it into your notebook, for safekeeping.

Hey, don’t touch my stuff! … And what do you mean, “tucked”, it’s stuck with glue!

Roger’s Forbidden Idea was glued to your notebook.

Hahaha! The ultimate collaboration between father and daughters… I’m happy it turned out so well.

Hmph… Enough with your crazy recipes, Dad. This is the last one! Otherwise, well, you’ll see…! Hehehehe…

I’ll see… what…?

You are better off not asking that question! Hehe!

Uwaah!!!

This isn’t going to stop you, is it? We’ll be dealing with your crackpot schemes forever! Well, I guess I don’t mind. It’s dangerous, sure, but it’s also a lot of fun! Haha!

I will not bow to threats! Never! Alchemy and creativity must be free! Freedom! FREEDOOOOOM!!!

Ah, this… I guess it’s more reasonable than… whatever Dad made.

Right… I guess we could give it a go.

We need one Ori Bomb, one Stahl Ice Bomb, one Lightning Crystal and one Eisen Luft, huh?

Talk about all the upper-tier explosives! Now, then…

Fusion Effect… You think that’s the most important target to hit?

I guess so! Now, then…

Still…

Right. We oughta handle this thing with the utmost care. Or else…

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 21, 2019

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

They're both alive and well in Rorona but are kinda deadbeats

The most active, involved, positive mom is Rorona herself, in Lulua. Most active, positive dad is probably Roger lol

Imagine leaving your daughter with someone like Astrid, it's kinda :stare: in hindsight

Also yeah Rorona made up for lost time really fast in Lulua, given how long she'd been out of the picture and then Roger himself is at best dubiously helpful even when he's trying to be involved and positive (c.f. any of his wacky requests)

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Imagine leaving your daughter with someone like Astrid, it's kinda :stare: in hindsight

Also yeah Rorona made up for lost time really fast in Lulua, given how long she'd been out of the picture and then Roger himself is at best dubiously helpful even when he's trying to be involved and positive (c.f. any of his wacky requests)

Yeah, Rorona is def the most involved. Roger almost feels like more of an older fuckup brother that went through some things. Like in contrast, siblings are totally a thing in Atelier games and actively participate. I’m mostly just curious on why it’s always built out that way, but it is an easy trope to build on.

I do remember being amused with Rorona’s parents eternal vacation with occasional souvenir drop off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If the parents are alive and involved it raises questions about why they allow their 12-16 year old daughter fight monsters and run a small business unsupervised