Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

And lot of media of this type are actively allergic to the concept of parents being active, nevermind the older siblings in previous games are de facto parents in some sense.

Because yeah, some of the underlying themes in all the games is the growth and maturity of the protagonists, and they might feel having active parents kind of stifle that sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Robindaybird posted:

And lot of media of this type are actively allergic to the concept of parents being active, nevermind the older siblings in previous games are de facto parents in some sense.

Because yeah, some of the underlying themes in all the games is the growth and maturity of the protagonists, and they might feel having active parents kind of stifle that sense.

And heck, we do have precedent of parents who try to have some role in their daughters' lives, but are shown stifling them and trying to stop them from becoming alchemists or going out and adventuring (Firis, Meruru), before relenting and ultimately coming to accept their daughters' decisions.

The twins of course have a very unique dad, to put it lightly, and they end up taking the business over from him after he quit at life over Honnete's death way back when. So they're forced to take on a lot of responsibility and grow up fast, trolling antics aside of course.

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jun 11, 2019

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Forging Tutorial

Yeah, I know I’ve held off on writing this up until the Last Chapter. Lydie & Suelle has a frankly really janky forging system; you can’t just go to Hagel with your Weapon Materials that have all the highest-end stat- and skill-boosting traits and call it a day. No, this system really goes out of its way to test your ability to hit effect levels while synthesizing and knowing which traits to transfer with various types of equipment. Hence, why I’m finally getting around to writing this.

Crafting Weapons

Let’s start with the basics: just crafting weapons. For this, you’ll need Weapon Materials. Lydie & Suelle has four tiers of Weapon Materials: Ingots, Silvalia, Gold Eisen and Harmonium. When used to craft weapons, these Weapon Materials boost the stats of the weapon depending on how well you did hitting (two) effect level thresholds. Weapon specs tend to have a set Weapon Material for use as a base (so for the Whisper Rod here, that base is an Ingot), and then anything goes for the rest. So since (Weapon Materials) is the second category…

We can use a Harmonium to really give it much more oomph. But wait, why is there Harmonium being used in two categories? That’s because Harmonium and Velvetis (the top-tier Armor Material) both count as Hidden Power, too. So any weapons that require (Hidden Power) can become an order of magnitude more powerful once these two materials are available. Moreover, this makes it possible for a lower-tier weapon that requires additional (Weapon Material) and/or (Hidden Power) ingredients compared to a higher-tier one to provide better stats than a higher-tier weapon that just requires one Gold Eisen or Harmonium, depending on their respective base stats. But it’s usually the case that the Harmonium-tier weapons require additional (Weapon Material) and/or (Hidden Power) to further juice their stats anyway.

Like for the Bloom Spiral I forged before entering the Black Horizon! Speaking of which, Lydie and Sue both get their Harmonium-tier weapons unlocked with that final Hagel event. Everyone else gets theirs unlocked once you finish their event sequences (so for the OG party members, that means friendship level 80, with Ilmeria’s sequence being tied to your alchemy level and Lucia’s being tied to chapter progression). So those will be trickling in one by one as I play through the Last Chapter. Now before I move on, here’s all the Weapon Materials and the effect levels to hit to get your stat boosts:

For reference, STR here refers to Equipment Effect. Even now, well over a year after the game’s release, it isn’t entirely clear what exactly Equipment Effect does. It increases your attack power and skill power, but it’s dubious whether you’d want a boost to Equipment Effect over a boost to both Attack and Speed (and as seen here, the higher-tier Weapon Materials force you to choose between boosting Attack/Speed and boosting Equipment Effect while crafting). But that’s really all you have to worry about when crafting Weapon Materials. Because…

You might notice here that all the traits are greyed out. That’s because weapons, on their own, cannot have any traits.

That’s where Weapon Cores and sub-cores come in! Weapon Cores and sub-cores can have traits pertaining to Skill Power and MP consumption reduction. Weapon Cores (but not sub-cores) can have traits pertaining to Attack, Equipment Effect, ATK-DEF flat boosts, and all-stat flat boosts. Anyway, you craft these at the atelier, and you can attach up to three traits to your core and sub-core. Finally, when you customize your weapons with Hagel, you can pick three traits out of the pool of traits between your weapon’s core and sub-core.

Moreover, Weapon Cores also increase the weapon’s stats! (And don’t worry about the two screens above; the UI for weapon customization only shows the weapon’s base stats before adding any Weapon Materials, so nothing got nerfed out of nowhere.) Anyway, for instance:

Here, it’s more straightforward: the higher effect level thresholds you hit, the better the boost to your stats (or other effects, like increased chance of critical hits or increased stun or decreased wait time after using items).

Crafting Armor

Now, we can move on to crafting armor! This is much more straightforward than crafting weapons: you just give Hagel the ingredients…

And then you select your traits! Armors can have traits pertaining to percentage-based stat boosts, ATK-DEF flat boosts, DEF-SPD flat boosts, all-stat flat boosts, HP, MP, Defense, and Equipment Effect. But of course, the stat boosts from your Armor Materials (Cloth, Moffcloth, Flugel and Velvetis) still matter a ton, so here are the relevant effect levels:

As noted earlier, Velvetis also counts as (Hidden Power). Additionally, Moffcloth also counts as (Animal Materials), so it can be used to give some extra boosts to any weapons or armor that require an ingredient from that category. And unlike with the higher-end Weapon Materials, Flugel and Velvetis give more of a reason to choose boosting STR (aka Equipment Effect) over DEF/SPD; for your units in the back row who mainly rely on firing off follow-up skills and don’t have to tank anyway, they may appreciate the extra boost to their offense.

It should also be noted that early on, certain armors are arbitrarily locked to certain party members. There are some that Lydie and Sophie and Lucia and Ilmeria can’t equip, whereas there are some that Sue and Firis and Alt can’t equip (e.g. Nightshade). Thankfully, everyone can equip the highest-end armors like the Dragoon Mail, no questions asked.

Addendum: Accessories

In addition to their weapons and armor, each character can also equip up to two accessories, which you synthesize at the atelier.

In addition to hitting effect level thresholds (like for the raw stat boosts that the Gnade Ring gives, or for the increase in follow-up skill power and chain bonus power that the Magic Stone Chain gives, or for the ability to consistently maximize damage output that the Lucky Coin provides), Accessories can have traits pertaining to HP, MP, MP consumption reduction, ATK-DEF flat boosts, DEF-SPD flat boosts, all-stat flat boosts, Speed, and Equipment Effect. They can also have Radiance traits, which boost the Combination Art gauge and increase other attributes—and which you won’t see until postgame.

Finally, you might have noticed that some traits can be transferred onto multiple equipment categories, like with MP consumption reduction or Equipment Effect. So yeah, it’s possible to be able to fire off skills for 0 MP or to really stack your Equipment Effect to the heavens if you play your cards right.

Well, that’s it! I hope I covered everything in a way that explains how this system works, so that you too can craft busted equipment to take down postgame bosses! Because we’ll be getting to that at some point during the Last Chapter!

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Oh dang, I’m glad they didn’t keep that core system. I always forget to upgrade weapons often in these games do it’s could to get an explainer

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

L-2: Reunions and Partings

…And that’s another job done! Methinks we deserve a break by now…

We sure do! Where do you have in mind, Sue?

Hmm… it’d be nice to hang out in the garden and do some people-watching!

A Break and an Outing

Come on, Mom! Where shall we go next?

Hmm, let me think… There’s a delicious cake place nearby!

Cake? I’m getting a bit too old for sweet things…

Ah, don’t worry! I’ll eat your slice, Dad!

Hold on, what about me? …You can just pay, darling!

W-What! You leave me no choice but to eat it, then!

Hahaha! Grin and bear it, Dad! Come on, to the cake shop!

Oh dear. She still can’t tell where she is going, can she? …Don’t leave me behind, please!

Hahaha! It looks like the three of them have completely made up!

Yeah! They look so happy, I’m glad! We oughta pay a visit to the church later… we really saw something wonderful!

The Nun’s Future

You were out with your family, and you looked really happy!

Girls, you should have said something!

Hehe, I don’t think I’ve ever seen you look so happy! It was more fun to just watch, rather than speak up and ruin the moment!

Hehe. I think you need some punishment for your sneakiness. A spanking, perhaps?

Hehe, I’ll forgive you just this once. And how couldn’t I? After all… I got back something very special to me, thanks to you. After that, we talked a lot. About the past, and about the future… I haven’t spent time like that in more than a decade. It was so satisfying! Lydie, and Sue… Thank you so much for bringing us back together!

I’m so happy for you, Sister Grace.

Thank you! Me too!

I’m sad, too, though… Now we won’t be able to call you “Sister” anymore!

Right, of course… You’ll be living as Grace the puppeteer now, won’t you…

No? I’m going to carry on living here as a nun. I’ve been doing this for a long time, after all. I can’t go back to that life now.

Uwah! So you’ll still be Sister Grace! But I wanted to see your puppet show again!

Don’t worry about that. I’ll put one on during the next church gathering.

Great! Haha! What will it be this time? Romance? Tragedy? I can’t wait!

:smith: I-I’m sorry… I said a bit too much…

What are you doing, dear? Honestly. I’m coming, I’m coming. You heard them, girls. My mediation skills are needed. I will see you later. May the blessings of God be with you!

Hehe, and with you too, Sister Grace. And with you too!

Indeed! Now, that’s one side of the family accounted for… so you know where we oughta go next, right?

Sure do!

Drossel’s Dream

Hehe, that’s great! Congratulations!

Heh, it all worked out somehow. It’s all thanks to you two, really!

That’s right. The support you offered us really helped us get through, Lydie and Sue! Thank you so much, both of you!

This is great! Now you can all live as a family again!

What? After just meeting your mom again?

Yes… There’s something I want to do, so I can’t live with them.

I tried to persuade her, but it’s no good. She’s such a stubborn girl! Where does she get it from?

I see… Drossel, can you tell us what it is you want to do?

Sure. I want even more people to see the ultimate puppet theater we have created! It’s so good, after all. We want many more people to see it! So I’m going to leave the city and perform it in as many places as I can!

I see! To get more people to see your show.

Yeah. And that’s not all… I bet Mom and Dad want some alone time, too!

Hahah! It sounds like she’s totally outmaneuvered you, Mr. Fritz!

Aren’t you going to be sad though, Drossel? Not being with your parents?

Yes, I’m sad! I plan on coming back pretty often, you’ll see!

Hah! If your sense of direction doesn’t improve, we’ll probably never see you again!

Hah, you have to bring that up! Don’t worry, it’ll all work out!

Are you sure? Anyway, more than that, I think it’s about time you found a husband, at your age…

Hehe. Even after living apart for so long, it doesn’t take much to turn back the clock. The bonds of family are so strong, aren’t they! Stronger than rocks, than metal, than anything!

Yeah. So even if Drossel goes traveling, the bond between the three of them will be unchanged. Heheh! I wish all three of them endless happiness!

Expansion, Negotiations, and…

I told you not to call me “Boss”. How about… “Chairwoman”?

:eng99: Of course, that’s right! Chairwoman. I’ll be more careful! And with your leave…

Well then… With our second store, I’ll be able to expand even more.

Hey, Lydie, Sue. Yes, thanks to you. We have a communications network and sales are up. Business in Adalet is going to be good…

I see, I see… And what about your dad?

He hasn’t come yet… But I can’t afford to just sit around waiting. Of course I want to see him. But growing my business is important too.

That’s the Corneria we know and love! Merchant among merchants!

Thank you so much… Hehe, I’ll just keep on doing my best! To spread the name of Corneria Enterprise and supply as many as I can with affordable quality items!

Great! We’re supporting you, Corneria!

Ah, I know. How about selling some of the stuff that we synthesize? An interest around this, and then a low handling fee…

Hahaha, you two are negotiating already? Come on, Sue, we can’t be taking so much of her time.

Okay, okay. We’ll continue this later, Corneria!

Very well. I look forward to it. See you later.

Hey, Sue… do you think Corneria will…?

It’ll all work out! I know it will!

What? … Are you… my father…?

…Thank goodness for that!

I know!

Hmm, might as well, since I’m curious… Pamela!

The Roles of Grace

What are you doing today? Some shopping? Buying some things, right?

Hahaha, nope! I did loads of shopping from you back in Reisenberg!

Sure, but it still isn’t enough! I want you to buy more… more of everything!

Fine, fine, we’ll come back to that in a moment. I’ve got something to ask you first. It’s about my mom. Is she always like that, when she’s in the church?

By “like that”, I presume you mean…

Oh…

Yes, I think she is. That’s all I’ve seen from her.

I see… Mom used to be a bit more lively than that, that’s all.

Lively…?

Oh. I’ll try and show you.

So settle down and prepare to shout your little heads off! Sparky-sparkles! …Ahem. Like that.

Ah, hold on… She did something like that when we did a puppet show the other day.

She did? So this solemn Mom is all just an act!

Yes, you might be right. It sounds like Grace has quite a checkered past, too… I think I’ll ask her about it! I can’t wait to see what she says!

…Alright! It’s a new day, and we have some errands to run…

And shopping to do. So with that…

Reunion and Waiting

There is? What is it?

I’ve been reunited with my father. He came and visited my shop!

Ah, I knew it! Corneria, congratulations!

You must have had a lot to talk about. Did he tell you the reason why he left?

Yes. It was simple, really. Apparently, he copied too many things…

Excuse me?

He took on a lot of work, for the sake of my mother, and shrunk down to the size of a bug! Then my mother thought he had gone missing. It was all a misunderstanding, actually.

Hahaha… I was only joking about becoming that small, but it’s actually possible?

Hey, I’d never go that far! Although, if I actually saw her, my resolve…

Hehe, I’ll be careful, then. I don’t want to end up as someone’s pet, that’s for sure.

So, where’s your dad now?

He isn’t in the city anymore. I gave him this.

Yes. A ticket back to my hometown, Kirchen Bell. There’s so much more I want to talk to him about, but only when my mother is there too.

I see! I’m sure she’ll be happy about that! When will you be going back?

It will be a while, I think. Business is just getting on track here. I can’t afford to step away at the moment.

What, are you sure? I think you need to get back there!

Hehe, I can see that. I bet he’ll wait as long as it takes.

Thank you. So in the meantime… I’ll be relying on your patronage a little while longer, girls. Lydie, Sue… I hope you’ll continue to come and visit the Corneria Enterprise!

Hehe! You bet, Corneria!

So we’ll need the usual, today…

Meanwhile, at church…

Kirchen Bell’s Top Clothier

Ah, I see. I bought some new clothes, and I just wanted to show them to her.

Oh, some clothing? Show me, show me!

Sure. Say, Pamela, do you remember Leon? From back in Kirchen Bell? I saw some of her clothes at the shop, and just couldn’t help myself.

Oh, Leon’s work? Of course I remember her! She’s a real big deal now. Got loads of students too, so I hear!

Really? I didn’t know that! So she’s doing well too, is she? Good to know. If I bump into her again, I’ll be sure to take her out for a drink.

Hehehe, I’m sure you’ll see her again one day. I just have that feeling. I’ll join you, when that time comes. We can chat about Sophie over some drinks!

Indeed! Now, here are the clothes…

Lovely! As expected from Leon…

Aren’t they? Now, then! I’ll be taking my leave… Ah, Lydie! Sue!

Hello, Mr. Fritz! Here to see Sister Grace?

Yes, but she’s not here right now. And you…?

Hehe, we figured we might buy something from Pamela!

Hmm, I wonder if Sue knows… well, I guess she’ll find out sooner rather than later…

A Memory Repressed

W-What’s up Pamela? Something seems to have seriously surprised you…

Guess what! It seems sales at my shop have reached my target figure!

Wow, that’s great! Congratulations!

Thank you! Hahaha! This is thanks to all of your purchases, too! I’ve set aside money for gifts this time. Now I can finally go home!

I see… You’ve made your money, so it’s time to move on?

Yeah… We’re going to be sad!

Say, Pamela! One last time… Could we call you “Mom” again, one last time?

Yes, of course!

Ah! That settles it! I’m going to become a nun who travels between both Kirchen Bell and Merveille!

What?! I’m happy to hear that, but are you sure?

It will be exhausting, so no, I’m not, but if I get serious I should be able to manage it! I’m really starting to like this place, after all… And I want to see the two of you grow up! So I’m going to use all my powers and just fly there and back!

Ah, of course! You can fly because you’re a ghost!

Uwaah… Uwaaaaaaaaah!

Kyaah, Sue! Are you okay?! Water, get some water!

Hmmm… What should I do with all the money I’ve made, though? Buy lots of gifts, I guess! Hmm, what would be best…? I hope everyone in Kirchen Bell is doing well!

Oh my, Sue! Calm down before you turn into a ghost yourself…!

YOU’RE NOT HELPIIIIING!!

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Shucks, all these resolutions are sweet but I really wanted to see what Corneria’s dad looked like.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Shirec posted:

Shucks, all these resolutions are sweet but I really wanted to see what Corneria’s dad looked like.

Ran out of budget for a model I guess :shrug: but he’d have the same Chinese style clothing from what the mysterious lore says so there’s a start

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Part L-3: The Future Kings

The Next King

“His name shall be Mathias Ferrier Adalet!” Lydie! Yes! Mathias has made up his mind to succeed the throne!

Yeah, it looks like it! Congratulations, Mathias!

Come on, we have to say that to his face! Let’s go and see Mathias, right away!

Yeah, you’re right… hey, hold up, Sue!

You’re going to be the next king! Congratulations!

Ah, you saw that? Yes, that’s right. I am your ruler!

My lord! My liege? Ah, my Majesty! Sorry, Your Majesty!

Hah, OK, I’m just kidding. I won’t actually be king until after the coronation.

What? So you’re still unemployed?

You’re still banging that drum? Hahaha! Hey, all of this gives me an idea, anyway. The crown to be used at the coronation is normally made by people selected by the next king. So… What do you say, girls? Fancy using your alchemy to make me a crown?

What! A crown, from alchemy? Is that even a thing?

I’m sure it will be fine. I’d love for you to do this. Alchemy has brought positive change to the city. I want my taking the throne to be the same.

Very well. If that’s what you want, Mathias, we’ll happily take this job!

You said it! We’ll make you a dazzling crown for your coronation!

Thanks! No need to hold back, you can really go all out!

Something like this would be perfect! Can’t have a crown without gems or gold, of course… and what would the crown of Adalet be without a nice smattering of Merveille Rouge?

You said it! Good thing we can get really good Merveille Rouge outside of Mom’s atelier…

And that’s a… Yes?

Goals and Blessings

This is quite the party! What’s up?

We heard from Sophie and Firis that you’ve decided on a goal for your alchemy.

Why didn’t you come and tell me, then? Explain yourselves!

Hahaha, sorry girls! We overheard you talking when we were inside the Starlight Plain.

Sorry from me too! We didn’t mean to eavesdrop but, you know, I guess we did!

Hahaha, that’s okay. We weren’t hiding it or anything. We were going to come and see you.

So, the new goal for our alchemy, our new dream, is…

So many people have helped us, and so we want to repay them by using our alchemy. I don’t know if it’s much of anything, but that’s our goal. What do you think?

I think it’s wonderful. A lovely goal, perfectly suited to both of you.

Me too. You’ve decided it for yourselves, and so as your teacher you have my support. …Do your very best, understand? Give up halfway through and you’ll have me to deal with!

Hey, cut it out, Firis! You don’t need to bring that up here!

Hahaha! Anyway, all of us here, including me, support your dream. I don’t think it will be an easy thing to achieve, but all the best, Lydie and Sue!

Thank you! We’ll do it, don’t worry!

Hehe! That’s our goal, then! To become alchemists who can help everyone! Yay! As for someone who immediately needs our help…

The Weight of the Crown

Mathias. We’ve made the crown.

OK. Let me take a look… Yes, good color, good sheen… This is a great crown! It stands up well compared to my dad’s crown, too. In fact, it might even be better!

Great, glad to hear it. We were pretty nervous about such an important job. Hehe. We put a lot of hard work and feelings into this. You keep it safe, Your Majesty! Keep it on your head!

I will. I’ll treasure this forever… Wow, this also means I really can’t run away!

Come on, Mathias, you’ll be fine! You’re going to make a great king!

Yes, you’re right. It’s just… ah, it’s nothing. Heheh, here’s your reward. Thank you, both of you!

3000 Coll received.

Wow, thanks! I can’t wait for the coronation!

Yeah. Me too.

A new Combination Art for Sue and Mathias “Full-Power Gunplay” is unlocked.

You know, Sue, if Mathias is taking the throne, then…

Yeah. I bet she’s happy about all this!

Mireille’s Move Out

Hahaha, you seem in a good mood, Mireille. Is it because of Mathias?

That’s right. He’s finally made the decision to become king. I’ve been working hard to make sure Mathias becomes a good king, but I’m almost done now.

He’ll be on the throne before you know it!

Yeah. I’m so relieved. I’ve done my duty as his sister! Thank goodness for that. Now he’s finally getting serious, he’ll surely make a fine ruler. Which means I can finally…

Hm? Mireille?

Oh, by the way! Tell me, twins. Is a golden puni statue required for living on your own?

Why would it be?! What are you planning on using it for?

Hahaha, don’t ask me. It was a gift so I’m just asking.

Well, if you don’t have a use for it you don’t need… hold on, living on your own? Who?

Hahaha, who do you think? Me, of course.

Yes! Of course I can! Just who do you think I am?

H-Huh. But why? Why now?

I’m also in line for the throne, remember? But Mathias is the one who will become king. It would get tricky if I was hanging around, so after he’s crowned I’m leaving the castle.

So that’s why… Sorry, Mireille, for ever thinking you couldn’t do it!

Hah! Just you have a look at this, then! Proof that I can handle living alone!

That’s everything you need to live alone! The bare minimum! You’ll find it all correct and proper.

A crystal shield? Cross that off. And a crystal ball, too? What for? Cross that off.

Twenty pairs of shoes? Cross! Knives, sure, but ten of them? Cross, cross!

H-Hold on! My list is getting mutilated!

Yeah, well, we’re just getting started here. Next up… what would someone even do with this? Cross!

(Kind of high maintenance, here…) Cross!

That’s right. There was far too much waste on there to start with.

And lots of things missing, too. You need cutlery, don’t you? Dishes?

Dishes, right! Hey, I know, could you make some hard-to-break ones with alchemy? I think I’ll probably break regular ones a bit too quickly…

Yes, okay. To celebrate your moving out, we’ll bring you a lovely set of dishes!

…These are going to be plain sturdy dishes, I’m afraid. Please keep that in mind.

How hard can it be to make silverware? We have the silver, the polish, and tons of high-quality distilled water and neutralizer…

There we go! Mireille should love these! Even if they aren’t as fancy as she’s probably used to…

Countdown to Coronation

Mireille, here are your hard-to-break dishes.

Wow, they’re lovely! Living on my own is going to be so much fun, I know it! But… what’s with you two? You seem a bit down?

We’re just a bit sad that you’re going to be leaving the castle, that’s all…

Hahaha, that’s what you've been thinking about? I’m not a permanent fixture, after all! One I’m living alone, I also plan to rely heavily on both of you. You’ll still see me, even if I'm not around here. So there’s no need to be sad! Not at all!

Hey, that’s right! In fact, we might see more of you than we do now!

That’s right! You’ll be sick of my face before long, I promise you!

Okay! I can’t wait! You’re welcome at our atelier anytime!

Hehe! I need to get back to my preparations, anyway. There isn’t long until the coronation.

Hehe! We can’t wait! But for now…

Now then… what comes next?

Oh, was that the door? Does Mireille already need a place to-

Ah, Your Majesty! Your Royal Highness!

Please, come in!

How many times do I have to say this? I’m not king yet! You’re just making fun of me, are you?

Of course! What’s up, though? You look like you’ve got something on your mind?

Come on, you can tell us anything. We’ll help you however we can.

Thanks for saying that. I do have something I want to ask you both: If the two of you had to live apart, starting from tomorrow, what would you say?

Why?

We’ve lived together since we were born, and that’s never going to change!

That’s right. The two of us are one. We couldn’t possibly live apart!

Yes, you’re right… I knew it! Sorry, girls, but can I ask you to do a job for me, too? The crown you made for me… Can you make another one?

What? Another crown? Not thinking of growing another head, are you?

I can’t tell you. I just really need one! Please!

OK! Anything for the future king! We’ll bring you another crown, just as great as the first one. Just wait a little while, Mathias!

Thanks. I know you can handle this, Lydie, Sue!

We already have everything we need, so we just have to do the synthesis again…

Woohoo! Now, we haven’t a moment to lose!

The Shadow Coronation

Here you go, Mathias. The second crown you ordered.

This one is really well made, too. So now…

How about you tell us why you need another one?

Hehe, I’m the next king, after all. It’s a little too soon, but I’m going to use some of that power. Girls, come with me. I want you to see this, too.

?

To the castle!

Sister. Can you please clear the room?

What? I guess so. Sure.

Sis. You’ve always looked out for me, haven’t you? Supported me, from the shadows. I’ve only made it this far thanks to you.

Mathias? What is this?

That’s why I need you to help me rule.

That’s why I want you to take this.

No! I’ll be the king. I want you to be, well… the power behind the throne? Sister. Will you continue to support me, even once I come to power? I’m sure that’s the best for the future of Adalet, too.

…Let me confirm one thing with you. You’ve given this a lot of careful thought, I take it?

Yes. I think this is the best way forward.

I see. In which case, it can’t be helped. Looks like I’ll be holding your hand forever, hah! King Mathias. I accept the role of… what are we calling this, the king in shadow? A shadow must always be a shadow, however. You’ll have to do all of your own duties properly. Understand?

Of course. Lydie, Sue, you’re up! We’re going to hold a shadow coronation, right now! You two have to bear witness. We need you two to watch over us as we make a vow the world can never know about!

OK, we can do that. We won’t blink once!

Yes! We’ll burn it into our memories!

OK. Here we go!

Hahaha, yeah. Being watched is a little embarrassing, though…

Uwah! That really suits you, both of you!

King Mathias! Queen Mireille! Lead our country into a better future!

Yes! We promise to do so!

Indeed we do. You first, Mathias.

As ruler, I promise to create a land in which all the people can live safe and happy lives.

As ruler, I promise to create a land in which all the people can live safe and happy lives.

In this moment, I, Mathias Ferrier Adalet, as the king…

In this moment, I, Mireille Ferrier Adalet, as the king in shadow…

Wow! We bore witness to something incredible, didn’t we!

Yeah! The scoop of the century! It’s not like we can tell anyone about it, though…

That’s the way it has to be, girls. There have never been two people wearing the crown. You understand too, Mathias?

Haha, of course I do. I do, but… It’s a minor problem, really, compared to what it will do for our nation.

Some days later…

Right, that’s another job done! Next…

The Ruler in Shadow

That goes without saying! I’m the ruler in shadows now, which means work work work! Our king needs a lot of support, after all. I’m going to be working the rest of my life!

Hahaha! You seem pretty happy about it, though…

When he said he needed my help, to be honest, I was overjoyed. And impressed, too. I’d never considered that we might rule the kingdom together. Mathias has proven he can think outside the box. He’s going to make a great king, you’ll see. So I’m going to support him fully from behind! He’s my brother, after all!

Hehe… With both of you working on this, I’m sure you’ll make an amazing kingdom!

You can count on it! I’ll do everything I can as the shadow ruler! This will be a country where every child can chase their dreams, just like you two!

Keep up the good work, then, Mireille! Ah, you’re so cool, so beautiful!

We’re right behind you too, Mireille! Ah, you’re so talented, so elegant!

Hahaha!

Enough! You can’t go around picking on adults!

Hehehe, sorry about that! We’ll see you again soon, Mireille!

See you! Bye-bye!

…Curse their cuteness! I can’t be angry after seeing two lovely smiles like that. But after all… It’s our job to protect those smiles, too. Isn’t that right, Mathias?

The King’s Day Job

We need to include this in our report to the king in shadow!

Hey, don’t. Don’t do that! I’ll be stripped of the position in an instant!

Hahaha, we were just joking. Kind of!

Sue’s right. If you don’t keep it together as king, we’ll be letting Mireille know!

This is odd… I’m starting to feel like I’ve walked myself into even more trouble!

Haha, no you’re not!

I can’t fool you, can I. No, I made this decision. I’m not going to start regretting it now. But I gotta say… Looking back, I guess this all turned out because of you two. Seeing you work together so hard, I have to admit, it’s pretty inspiring. I like it.

Mathias…! Thank you!

Hehe, just you wait and see. My sister and I are going to make this country even greater!

Yeah, I can’t wait! Just make sure you never look unemployed again, OK?

Uwah! You dare speak to your monarch like that? Off with her head!

Such abuse of power! The only thing I want to see you cutting are our taxes, you creep!

Hey, I’m no creep! Right, for that, I’m going to double your taxes!

We really are looking forward to everything you’ll do!

Hmm… so this is the best sword Mathias can come up with, huh…

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jul 6, 2019

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Part L-4: Things Finally Said

Haah…

Conscience and Reconciliation

Or some meat you were looking forward to eating has been eaten by someone else?

All I think about is food, is that it? Thanks… I wasn’t thinking about my next meal, actually, but about Ilmeria.

Ilmeria? You mean, about the atelier you used to run together?

Yeah. She’s the one who invited me to join her… but then I headed off alone on my travels, betraying her. She told me it was okay, but I still feel guilty…

She’s not bothered by it at all. She told us! Told us she was happy you went traveling.

Come on, you know Ilmeria. She isn’t always honest about her feelings, even with herself.

Someone else isn’t being honest about her feelings here! You should ask her, if it bothers you that much!

Girls… You’re right, of course. Alright! I’m going to go and ask Il, straight up, what she thinks of me.

Good, that’s the way. I’m sure it will turn out fine!

Thank you! Right, I just need to maintain my resolve!

We’re behind you all the way, Firis!

Mmm! Hehehe… we really helped Firis out then, didn’t we, Lydie?

We sure did! Now, time to go home…

Hey, it’s Firis. She looks a bit nervous…

Very well. Time for us to step in… Hey, Firis! What a surprise, running into you here!

We were just going to see our teacher. Why don’t you come along with us?

Ah, hello you three. You’ve become quite close, haven’t you all?

It’s nothing like that. In this case, anyway. Firis was waiting outside the atelier.

Ehehe… Firis, There’s something you wanted to ask Ilmeria, right?

Ugwah, you’re ganging up on me! Fine, fine!

Not really?

No, I don’t. Like I’ve already told those two, I’m not bothered at all. I can't begrudge you… because that’s just the way you were always meant to live your life! You are freedom personified. Like a tuna, unable to stay in one place.

A t-tuna? I admit I can’t settle down, but still, I’m not a fish!

Also, I think you need to do something about your habit of overthinking things all on your own. You get so serious about the strangest things… Can’t you just be carefree all the time?

You think so…? Hahaha… I guess I did it again! Hehehe…!

That Puni-like smile is more like it! That’s the Firis I want to see.

I haven’t given up on running an atelier with you, yet, either.

Okay. I can make that promise. I’ll come back and see you, when I’m ready. So please… Just wait until then, Il!

…I think that takes care of that?

I think so… Hehe, I’m glad. Now, home, for real!

Firis has acquired the skill “Wealth of Experience”.

Wealth of Experience - Increase damage of special attacks.

Borthayre, Clients

Hey, Lucia! Welcome!

Come on, don’t just stand there. Come inside.

Thank you. Here.

Yes. We took it at Borthayre, but we just can’t keep up at the moment. I’m sorry, girls, but will you please help me?

Hehe, you’re finally being honest with us, Lucia. This is a much better look on you.

H-Hey! You always say one thing too much, don’t you Sue?

Hahaha! Lucia, you’re blushing! You look like a red puni!

Bah! Forget I even came by!

We’ve got your back! We’ll do our best to support you!

Haha, well said. Then I formerly offer this job to you. I’m so sorry about this. I’ll be counting on you, girls.

Off she goes. Hmm… she wants an Ori Bomb. We have some perfectly fine Ori Bombs already. So should we just…

Yeah. Let’s head on over!

A Job Well Done

Wow. This is a surprise. This is far better than what I was expecting! You’ve gotten a lot better at alchemy again! The speed at which you are evolving is almost frightening…

Wow, our big sis praised us! Heheh, we can’t let you show us up, after all!

Hehe. What would I do without you two around? Anyway, thank you so much. Things should be a little quieter at work now.

Great! Glad to hear it, Lucia!

Hey, I’ve got a good idea. If this means you’ve got some time, how about we go and have some fun?

Is that really one of them? I don’t remember that one…

Hah, you noticed? I just made it up! Never mind, anyway. Let’s go, Lucia!

Very well. That should be okay for today. Ohohohoho! Helping her little sisters have some fun is just another thing a big sister has to do!

Hehe, fine, fine. Let’s go then, “big sis”!

While they’re all doing that…

Puniboy

Oh, come on in! It’s unusual to see you here, Ilmeria.

Oh, not really… You just spend way too much time at my atelier… But never mind that. Today, I am here to give you a present.

What, a present? Really? Oh, how wonderful! What kind of present?!

Hehe, look and be amazed. This is your present… right here!

Wow, it’s so adorable…! A palm-sized puni…! But why?

There was just one left unsold at the shop. It looked so sad that I just had to take it. And you always go on about how cute my puni are when you visit my atelier… So I figured you’d take good care of this one…

Punipuni!

Hehe, it looks like it likes you. Come on, then, give it a name.

Oh, yes, of course! Hmm… Let’s see, a name that’s cute yet cool at the same time… I’ve got it! Your name will be… Puniboy!

P…

P-P…

P-Puniboy…?!

*Pet, pet*… You’re so cute, Puniboy… I hope you grow up to be big and strong…

Punipuni…

Puniboy…? Hmm… She really has a… how shall I put it…? …A unique taste… Er-hem. I hope it works out for these two…

Hey, Lydie, it’s been a while since we went to Mom’s atelier, hasn’t it?

It sure has. And we don’t know how much longer she’ll be with us… so we should visit her as often as possible while we still have her!

Yeah… To the Heavenly Flower Garden!

The Cute, Growing Twins

…So cute.

Eh?

Look at the foresight I had, in making clothing that turned out to suit you so well!

Hey, that’s right! I didn’t think we’d ever get to, but now you’ve seen us wearing these clothes!

Yes! Hehe, what do you think, Mom? Do we look like alchemists?

Yes, you do! Like exceptionally talented, exceptionally cute alchemists! We need to get Roger to paint this. Your cuteness needs to be preserved for future generations!

Hahah! You’re starting to sound like Liane…

D-Don’t worry, Mom! You don’t need a painting, we’ll come anytime you want to see us! …Ahem!

Aaaaah! My clothing ripped! My side, my side is completely exposed!

Oh my! Suelle, sorry, but can you take that off for a moment?

What? I think I’m too embarrassed to do that!

Hands off, Mom! I can take off my own clothes!

Hmmm… like this, and this, and this… There, all done. I’m glad there was a sewing kit here in the atelier.

Amazing, Mom… You fixed that in the blink of an eye!

Thank you! Huh… It seems easier to move in than before!

Yes. It was getting too small, so I adjusted it a little, too. You’ve both grown so much bigger than I expected when I made this…

Mom…

I’m glad… Hey, Lydie. Can I take a look at yours, too? It must be getting tight as well. I’ll fix it.

Great! Thank you, Mom!

I’ll get you something to wear, then. It was super cold while I was waiting!

Thanks, Sue. I’ll go and get changed!

…That’s good. Kids should always surpass the expectations of their elders. Being able to watch them grow up, though… Roger, I’m so jealous.

The next morning…

That was fun! We should really bring Dad next time, though…

Don’t forget Lucia! We’re all family, after all…

Speaking of Lucia, didn’t you get the feeling she forgot something as we saw her off for the day the other day?

Now that you mention it…

Colleagues and Adversaries

1000 Coll received.

No, we don’t need a reward. We just wanted to help you, Lucia.

That’s not allowed. My pride won’t allow you to work with no reward.

Hahaha, okay. Some things never change, do they?

That’s right. Pride and beauty are my two main ingredients!

Ohohoho! That’s right! Praise me more, go on!

Hmm, I wouldn’t call that praise…

Hehe. I’m going to make some changes, anyway, you’ll see. Especially about work. I want to reduce the amount we take, and also rely on you when I have to.

Hahaha, that’s great to hear. Pushing yourself too hard and burning out won’t help anyone.

My atelier and your atelier. Our two ateliers, growing together side by side. That’s what I want to work together toward. That’s what I think. What about you?

Hehe, that does sound good! It’s reassuring for us to know we can count on you, too!

Good. Let’s work together from now on, girls!

Hehe… it’s been a wild ride with Lucia over the years, but this sounds like a new chapter in our story, doesn’t it?

Sure does…

Ah. That doesn’t change the fact that we’re also rivals, however. Drop your guard and we will crush you with our overwhelming superiority!

W-What?! That doesn’t really work with your idea of us “growing together”, does it?

I meant that stuff, but it’s also a bit boring. Let’s have a little more adversarial cooperation.

Hahaha… What are you talking about? …No matter! Count me in! We’re taking Borthayre down!

Ohohohoho! You do your best, if you think you can! I don’t think you stand a chance! I will continue to push you to greater heights… My cute, cute little sisters… Ahem! Now, where was I… Right!

Lucia has acquired the skill “Elder Sister’s Pride”.

Elder Sister’s Pride - Gain a chance of avoiding being KO’ed when taking a fatal amount of damage.

Lucia’s First Love

Oohhh…

I’m back, Dad! Sue went to buy a comic… Hey, Lucia!

Sorry, I just stopped by… Hmmm…

What’s up? Why are you staring at Dad like that?

No, I was just thinking… Uncle’s getting old, isn’t he?

Hahaha, well, look at how much we’ve grown up! Time doesn’t stand still for anyone.

You’re right, of course. He was so cool when he was younger, though!

You even said you’d marry him once you grew up!

I was a little kid, alright?! But I admit, for some reason, being around him has always calmed me… The complete opposite of my dad, even though they are brothers. So warm, scatterbrained, chaotic…

Hey, Lucia. You’re not bad mouthing me, are you?

Not at all. I think you were my first love!

Hahaha! Lucia, you definitely need to get some glasses!

I know! I was just thinking the same thing!

Uwah, we’ve made him mad! I’m sorry!

So very sorry! I think I’d better get going, anyway. Lydie… Look after him for us all, will you?

Yes, I will. He’s still my dear old dad, warts and all.

What are you… Just what are you two…

Hehe, see you later! You’ve got many more years of painting left, I’m sure! And Lydie… about later…

We’ll see you there too!

Later…

An All-Alchemist Family

A request? Do you want a massage? Have you got an itchy back?

No. Actually, I was thinking I want to give alchemy a try!

W-What’s brought this on? And Dad, where did you spring from?

I just wanted to see Honnete! Forget that, anyway! What do you mean, you want to try alchemy?!

Hah, I’m just feeling a bit lonely… Everyone in this family can use alchemy but me… It’s like I’m on the outside! So I want to give it a try!

Ah, so that’s why… What do you think, Dad?

Hmm… Once she sets her mind on something, she won’t budge… The same as someone else we know…

Yes, I think I know who you are talking about…

Yes. Good idea. A whole family practicing alchemy together would be lovely!

Hehe, you’re right! Take your time and teach me everything you can!

Okay! Mom, let’s start you off with this Princess Grass… I’ll set the cauldron to this temp…

Alrighty. I add this next, do I?

Gaaah! T-Too much! Water! Add some water and dilute it!

Next, mix it as hard as possible! Hahaha, this is fun!

It’s flying everywhere! Splashing everywhere! Go slower! …Uwah, it’s really bitter, too!

Finally, we adjust the heat. It’s just like cooking!

Mom, hold on! Don’t turn it up that high!

Oh dear. At least I finally get to say this line…

Oh dear… What comes next…

…Is gonna take a good while…

Hahaha… It doesn’t look like I’m suited to alchemy…

I’m sorry, Mom. I don’t really want to say this, but I think you’re right.

You are so incredible, all three of you. You do something so difficult all the time, don’t you… Alchemists really are incredible!

Honnete…

Lydie, Suelle, and Roger. Keep up the good work! I want to be able to boast to everyone I meet about how great my alchemist family is!

Sure! You can count on us, Mom!

We’ll have our names ring out across every world there is, you’ll see!

I’m behind you all the way, girls. You are my precious treasures, after all. Now for something I know I can do…

Pancakes!

Enjoy, girls. I’ll cover for any customers back in Merveille!

Later in the Heavenly Flower Garden…

Auntie At Last

I know! I can’t stop stuffing them down! Ah, I’m so happy!

I’m glad you enjoyed them. Now, after eating, you know what comes next?

Yes! We tidy the plates away! Come on, Sue!

Yes? What is it, Auntie?

I thought you might like to talk for a while. Look how lovely you are, Lucia!

T-Thank you…!

You look so grown up now. And your hair is so lovely! It looks like you’ve been taking care of it just like I showed you.

Yes. I have. I want to be just like you, after all! So beautiful, and so kind! You always taught me so many things… And when you died, I was so sad…! So very sad…! Sniff…

Thank you, though… You’ve been keeping an eye on my two girls for me too, haven’t you?

I wouldn’t say that, exactly!

Come now, I see everything. Lydie and Suelle have grown up so straight and true thanks in part to you, Lucia. So… Lucia. Please just keep on doing what you’ve been doing.

Hehe. I can’t turn down a request from you. They have no respect for their elders, I assure you, but I’ll do what I can to keep them in line. There’s no need to worry, Auntie.

Meanwhile, in Merveille…

Firis, I’m coming in! How’s Puniboy doing…?

Palm-Sized No More

H-He’s huge! Is that really you, Puniboy?!

Ah, Ilmeria! Hehe, hasn’t Puniboy grown big?

I think it’s grown a little too big! It’s supposed to be a palm-sized puni! But it’s pretty much the same size as a regular puni! What did you do?!

Huh, I didn’t do anything… I just fed him regular food…

Punipuni?

Punipuni…

Punipuni!

…See? I haven’t fed it anything unusual, right?

The portions! Portions are the problem! How could you give it so much?! Of course it’s going to grow, eating all that! …Hm? Hang on… “Of course it’ll grow big, eating all that”… Oh, I see…

Huh?

H-Hey, Ilmeria… You seem to be drifting somewhere far away…

Eating a lot is one way to grow bigger… That’s right… I mean, I knew that, but… I blew it. I made a mistake. If only I’d eaten more, I could have grown too…

Hey, Ilmeria… Hmm…? I wonder what got into her, Puniboy…

Punipuni…?

…Well, never mind. All that talk has made me hungry. Time to eat! I’ve asked Liane to make us her specialty meat dish tonight. Should be delicious! Come on, Puniboy! Let’s eat until our bellies almost explode!

Punipuni!

Lucia’s ultimate…

Umbrella…

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Part L-5: The Goddess’ Realms

So you had the far outskirts of Merveille in mind for foraging this week?

Yeah. We can find some real primo materials out there. It’s dangerous, of course, but… in for a penny, in for a pound!

You said it! So… to the Morrakis Range first!

Hm? Does the mountain man want something with us?

Probably just another dumb question… but we might as well check in with him, I guess.

Hmm… interesting… thanks, Mister!

Could it be…? Well, only one way to find out!

The Painting in the Snow

Hey, you’re right. What’s it doing here? Well… finders keepers!

Eh?!

Lydie? What’s wrong?

N-No, it’s nothing… I’m fine.

If you say so… Hey, hold on! I bet this is a Mysterious Painting! Being left on a snowy mountainside like this, it just reeks of mystery!

Hahaha, I’m not sure that’s the same “mystery” as in “Mysterious Painting”, but you might be right!

I know I’m right! Come on, let’s take it back and show it to Mireille!

Yes… okay. Let’s do that.

Lydie…?

Ah, since we’re all the way out here, we should check out the Dawn Realm too! Maybe we’ll find something special there as well!

Nothing unusual yet…

Hmm… maybe further in, then!

The Goddess in the Dawn Realm

Huh? Is that someone calling to us? Or am I just hearing things?

No, I hear it too. Sounds like it’s coming from over there.

Hehehe, welcome. I’m so glad you are here.

What’s going on here? Was that you, just now?

Yes. I’m so bored, I was wondering if you’d play with me?

Sure, I think we can play some…

Hehe! Great, that sounds perfect! In which case…

Hahaha! You haven’t changed, Palmyra!

Palmyra…? You know this girl, Firis?

Yes, she’s my friend. Palmyra, this is Lydie and Sue. They’re alchemists too.

Wow, alchemists! Now this sounds like a fight worth fighting!

…What? A fight? I thought you just wanted to play…

W-Whaaaat! You should have started with that!

Music: Shooting Star (Lydie & Suelle Ver.)

Come on! Let’s have some fun!

Hmph. If you insist…

This should be good for assurance…

The Dawn Realm looks pretty and all… but you know what’s prettier?

We could do without the meteors, th-

Here she comes!!

Eat this!

Nngh…

And again!

No way…

Alt!! …Let’s hope for a miracle…!

Thanks for the save.

Now, you’re up, Lydie!

And now, for the main event…

Hehe! Let’s go, Palmyra!

Uwah!!

Oh, I actually lost…

Phew… You’re tough!

H-How did you get to be so strong? Are you some kind of warrior from history or something?

Hahaha, she’s not a warrior. Palmyra is more like, well… a goddess?

Did you say a goddess?!

So being rude to her could, what? Get us turned into two Puni?

Uwah, no thanks! Goddess Palmyra, I’m so sorry!

Enough of that. You can still just call me Palmyra, please. We’re friends now, after all!

That makes me happy to hear, but I don’t think we should act so familiar with a goddess…

If I’m the goddess, then I decide the rules, right? So please, do as I ask! In fact, if you do keep on being all weird, I’ll turn you into spider crickets!

Spider crickets! Uwah, that’s worse than Puni! Alright, alright, Palmyra it is!

Good, that’s the way! This is the start of a long friendship, Lydie, Sue!

Yes! We hope so too!

Wow, anyway, after all this fun I’m exhausted. Sorry, I’m going to take a break. I’ll be wandering around here when I’m awake. Come and play with me anytime. Goodnight!

H-Hahaha… I didn’t expect to find a goddess in our circle of friends!

I was surprised too, at first. After spending some time with her, though, I can say she’s just a regular girl. Don’t think about it too much, just relax and enjoy!

Right, Firis. Speaking of relaxing… we oughta catch some shut eye when we get home. Before presenting Mireille with our discovery…

Some days later…

A Sketchy Restoration

Wow, you’re even more smiley than normal! I didn’t think that was possible. What’s up, Sue?

I’ll tell you what’s up! We’ve found something that looks a lot like a Mysterious Painting!

What? You have?

Yes. It’s right here. Will you please take a look?

Let me take a look, then. Hmm… I see…

Oh! This is so exciting…

What! I thought you were using some special royal power to identify them!

You’re kidding! I’m still only human. I’ve used research to identify paintings until now. In any case… How about we restore it and see what happens?

So if we can go inside it after we Restore it, then it’s a Mysterious Painting? That’s pretty simplistic!

Easy to understand, I’d call it. Mireille! Will you please hang it in the gallery? We’ll Restore it at once and give it a try!

Alright, I’ll get it up on the wall. You handle the Restoration! Thanks!

Hmm… Let’s try something like this…

“Paint of Sinking Evil Darkness”… with bugs as an ingredient… Lovely recipe you’ve come up with…

Gulp! Now for the moment of truth…

Voices and Threats

Hmm, I think that’s it. That should complete the Restoration.

It does? Then I guess this isn’t really a Mysterious Painting.

Yep. Just some weird discarded art form… !!

What’s wrong, Lydie?

I can hear a voice from the painting. Not Mom’s voice, but someone else’s… It says they won’t guarantee our safety if we try to go inside.

What! If that’s true, I think we’d better stop this investigation at once!

No way! I was thinking the complete opposite. I want to get in there and investigate at once! Threatening Lydie isn’t allowed! I don’t care who’s doing the talking, I’ll go and defeat them!

Sue…!

Very well. You found this painting, so you can decide what to do with it. But don’t take any big risks. Prepare carefully before you go inside!

Yes, we understand.

Let’s get straight to the bottom of this!

Music: Decaying Crown -Last Light-

…What is this place? It’s dark, and red, and scary!

Yeah. Maybe we should leave, after all?

It’s too late now. We’re here, so we’re going to explore!

Sue! Okay…!

Music: Decaying Crown -Dark Night-

Even aside from the oppressive atmosphere… All the flowers are poisonous, and the water looks positively poisonous…

And the monsters look really powerful… it’s like this painting world is doing everything it can to get us to leave!

Sure. But we can’t back down! Not until we find whatever threatened you and set it straight!

Sue…!

This looks like the only way forward. Lydie, be careful not to fall off these planks…

Uwah, no need to tell me twice!

Lovely.

Somehow, this world feels even more ominous than the Black Horizon…

Everywhere we go, it looks like something went on a rampage. Houses sinking into the swamp, shacks crumbling into oblivion…

Second time’s the charm, huh?

Somehow, I don’t think THAT’S the thing that threatened you… and I don’t want to waste any time or energy on it regardless…

But we’ve no choice but to engage it if we want to advance further… so let’s just run past it once we engage it!

There we go! Now, we just have to make it to the end…

The Goddess in Crimson

Ugh?! Where are you!

I am Termina. I have nothing else to say. Humans, leave this place. Leave now and I will forgive you. If you will not leave, then I will take your lives.

Oh. You’re the one who threatened Lydie, aren’t you? Lydie didn’t do a thing to you! You speak of forgiveness? Well, I don’t forgive you!

H-Hold on a moment, Sue! That makes me happy, but I don’t think threatening her is a good idea!

…Hahaha! You don’t forgive me? Pathetic! Come on then! Let’s see what you can do!

Music: Losaria

Forget fighting in a world like this! Let’s even the field!

Hmm… No need for the N/A… so I can skip straight to this!

Hmm… Ah, Lydie!

Take this!!

Here’s what you get for threatening Lydie!

Hahah! You can’t hope to defeat us! Come on, Termina! Time to apologize to Lydie!

Hah. To a human? Never.

No more bombs! Gah, then I have no choice… I’m sorry for being too harsh on you. But that doesn’t change that this is all your fault!

What? What do you mean?

I left the painting somewhere no one would find it. But you carried it back into town! W-What if lots more people come? It will be such hard work getting rid of them!

…Why do you sound happy about that?

You’re imagining things! What a pain you both are, honestly.

I’m sorry, Termina… We’re the ones who should apologize. Sue… let’s take the painting back to the mountainside. That’s what Termina wants.

Oh.

Hehehe! You’re right, that’s what she said. I guess we have no choice!

This painting is large, so it can’t be easy to carry around. I’ll let you leave it where it is.

You will? Like this?

Sure. But in exchange, I want you to come and fight me again. I’m always alone… I mean, I have so much free time. It’s nice to have something to do.

Sure, if that’s your story. You’re really easy to read, you know that!

Hah. I’m going to take a rest. I expect to see you again. Swear to me!

Hmm. She’s still a bit of a strange one, isn’t she? Termina…

You think so? She’s the same as Lucia, that’s all…

Hey, you’re right. Do you think Termina is like Fuoco, inside the painting? Or do you think…

I don’t know. Let’s ask her next time we meet.

Good idea. She said she wanted us to come again, anyway. We’ll have another chance.

Bloodstained Fragments obtained.

That night…

Swole Lydie Mk. II

Lydie… come here for a moment. There’s something I want to check. Just flex your arm for me for a moment, will you?

Ah, sure. Alright. …Huaaah!

Whaaaaat!

Hahaha, what’s up?

Hey, I think that’s overstating it a little. My training is paying off, though!

Tell me, Sis, just out of curiosity. How much have you been working out recently?

Umm… 3000 push-ups, 5000 sit-ups, 2500 each of squats and back stretches… I’ve been wrestling dragons, too. Although I send them flying with a single attack.

…Why? Why has it come to this? Where did I go wrong…?

Right, I need some protein! Some raw eggs could be good!

What?

Come back, Lydie! Come back to your lovely, delicate self! You don’t need to be any stronger! I’ll get strong enough to protect you! So… please! Come back, come back to your old self, Lydie! You don’t need all those muscles!

Oh, Sue… I feel so sorry for you. You talk like that because you’ve got no muscles.

Hold on! Lydie…?

No… Nooooooooooooooo! Stay baaaaaack!

…Sue, Sue! Wake up, Sue!

Sue! I’m sorry for hitting you so hard!

Lydie! Lydie, please… Just stay weak!

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 12, 2019

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010
Okay, that last bit was really quite funny.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Like I know it's probably just a ridiculous fever dream of Sue's, but I wanna believe that Lydie really does go out and send dragons flying like they're Team Rocket :allears:

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010
I'm pretty sure her hair would have all fallen out if that were the case.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Part L-6: A Break with the Past

:siren: This entire update is pretty massively spoilery for the last act of Atelier Sophie, so if that’s something you care about, then skip it. All of it. :siren:

The rest of you still here? Good. Let’s get started by checking in on Alt…

Hmm…

Trice and Tensions

Uwah, you’re right! If the wind changes you’ll be left like that.

This is just what my face does when I’m thinking. I’ve been called out on it before, believe me.

I do. So what were you thinking about this time?

Mysterious Paintings, actually…

Ah, I’ve got it! You’re thinking of trying to make one, aren’t you?

Are you trying to traumatize me? That very suggestion brings up some bad memories… Memories I can never forget… The day I painted a picture, and the tragedy that occurred afterward.

A tragedy? Gulp! Do I want to know about it?

I was laughed at…

Eh?

Someone I was working with said “You really can’t paint for toffee”, and they laughed at me! It’s not like they could do any better! But it broke my spirit, and the plan collapsed! Gah, just thinking about it now makes me angry! What’s a toffee got to do with anything, anyway?!

Ah. Please, forgive me. I just got a bit carried away.

Hahaha… So what were you actually thinking about?

The irregular nature of the materials found inside the paintings. Many of those materials have similar but different properties to those in the real world. All of them are effective for use in alchemy, too. The perfect theme for some alchemy research.

I see. Yes, you make a good point. Using materials from inside paintings gives alchemy a real boost.

There’s one I want to look at in particular. It’s called a “Trice Flower”, from Etel Nepica.

A Trice Flower…? I don’t think I’ve ever seen or heard of one of those.

Other alchemists have found them, but the number of reports is still miniscule. If possible, I’d like your help in looking for one?

Sure thing! …Ah! If we’re looking for rare materials, let’s get Sophie and Firis to help too!

What?

No, that’s not it, but… gah, I guess there’s no reason to refuse more help.

Yeah, no reason at all! Come on. We’ll find one of these flowers in a trice, you’ll see!

Some time later…

Hmm… no sign of the Trice Flower in La Terre d’Hier…

Right… Time to move on to La Terre du Passé, then!

His Past Unearthed

Hmm, I don’t see any likely blossoms at the moment… Maybe we should split up?

Good idea. You two, go that way. I’ll go with the twins, that way. Good luck.

Thanks! That’s our cue, Miss Sophie! Let’s go!

Alt… You split off from them on purpose, didn’t you?

…I have no idea what you’re talking about.

That wasn’t very believable… Hah, I guess it doesn’t matter.

…ugh!

You have to see what this is all going to lead to!

…Your persistence is beginning to annoy me. I could never give up such incredible strength! I don’t care about the future. The most important thing is the moment we live in, right now!

You are wrong. The most important thing is to connect hope to the future. I cannot allow this to continue any longer. Here and now, I will defeat you!

I see… You think that will work? You can’t hope to defeat me.

If that’s the best you can do, then you deserve to die. Farewell… Plachta.

W-What was all that?! It looked like two people fighting?

One of them said “Plachta”, but she isn’t even here…

Which means, it had to be…

Hold on! You all look real grumpy? What’s going on?

Nothing. We’re finished here. Let’s go.

Alt…

Wait, Lydie?!

Alt bolted for his atelier as soon as we got out of the painting… I have to see what’s going on! Alt! About what we…

…okay.

Lydie… maybe we should go home and debrief.

The Truth About Alt (Plachta)

When we were in there with Alt… I’ve been thinking about it, too. Whose past was that?

It was only me, you, and Alt there. So it has to be…

Alt’s past, right? There’s no other explanation…

Right, but the man we saw wasn’t called Alt, was he? She called him “Luard”.

I know. Alt and Luard… Hmm, I wonder what it all means?

I’ve no idea. But we do have one lead. The woman who was fighting Luard… He called her “Plachta”, didn’t he?

Yeah, you’re right! Could it be the Plachta we know?

I think it could… How often do you think parents call their kid “Plachta”?

Come on, then! We won’t get anywhere sitting around thinking about it. Let’s go see Plachta!

Count me in. I want to know about Alt’s past, too…

!!

Girls… Where did you hear that name?

It was when we were alone with Alt in Etel Nepica. We saw a memory fragment where a woman named Plachta and a man named Luard were fighting.

It had to have been Alt’s memory, but the man was named Luard… and you’re the only Plachta we know, so we figured you’d know what’s up.

I see. When we were all in there with Alt… Which means…

Yes. I don’t think there can be any mistaking it now.

Ah, sorry, girls. The past you saw is definitely Alt’s, I think that much is clear.

More importantly… Alt is an assumed name. His real name is “Luard”. An alchemist from 500 years ago, who researched alchemy alongside me.

500 years?! He doesn’t look it at all!

I’m over 500 myself, but I don’t look like an old granny, do I?

I guess not… So who is this Luard?

…What? I mean, in the past that we saw, it looked like the two of you were fighting…

Ah, that… That was just an argument.

An argument?! It was a bit bloody to just be an argument!

An argument is an argument. He is one of my best friends, then and now.

Hohoho…

Uwah, this isn’t helping me understand this at all…

Really? Then why not ask him about it all?

Hahaha, good point. That’s probably the fastest way.

What? Are you sure? He really doesn’t seem to want to talk about any of that stuff…

Hehe… He can be a bit stubborn, that’s all. Deep down, I think he wants to tell you the truth.

He seems to have opened up to you. If you want to know, go ahead and ask him.

That’s not a bad idea… What do you think, Lydie?

…Let’s go. I want to hear it from Alt himself.

No time like the present, then. Thank you for telling us all this!

…Hehehe!

What is it, Sophie? Why are you smiling like that?

Huh… Some things, I will never understand…

The Truth About Alt (Alt)

…!

I’m sorry. We just really wanted to know. I… We want to know more about you, Alt. So… Please! Will you tell us about your past?

If Plachta already told you, that’s all there is to know. I am Luard, an alchemist from 500 years ago. I took the name Alt from a friend of mine. …Overcome by the power of alchemy, I was consumed by it, betraying even my friends. I’m a monster. That’s the truth about me. Well? I guess I won’t be seeing you around here anymore.

What?

I mean, that’s totally different from what Plachta told us.

…It can’t be! What did she say?

That you were kind, and reliable, and a great friend.

She did…? Haha… haha! So she’s moved on. Looking forward, rather than backward… She’s surpassed me again. Me, who spends everyday looking backward! Do I have to live bound by the past like this?

Alt…?

Lydie, Sue. I have a request. Will you come with me, deep into Etel Nepica? There’s something I want to do there. You’ve done so much to help me already, but can I ask for your aid once more?

Of course you can count on us! We’ll do whatever you need!

That’s right! No need to hold back now!

Thank you, both of you. I’ll be counting on you. …At long last… It’s time to face down my past.

And Sophie’s coming along too, is that okay?

…Fair. Then let’s get going!

Alt Astray

So here we are, in La Terre de l’Origine…

Yes… what I need to do, I want to do here.

Mmm… Ah, a memory fragment!

That it is…

So, Alt… how did it all begin for you and Plachta?

We’d work morning to night, then sleep like logs. Back then, alchemy was pure fun. Helping people using items I had made… There was nothing better! That’s how I felt. Pushing to compete with my friend, honing my skills with each passing day… That’s all I saw ahead of me. I believed it, truly… But it wasn’t to be.

But it wasn’t to be…

Let’s get moving, Lydie.

Alright…

Another fragment, up ahead!

Yeah…

So, Alt… What happened to end those halcyon days?

She was better than me, and not in a way that would be easy to overcome. Each day, I fell behind. I wanted to keep pace, but I couldn’t. Panic slowly started to overtake me. Then, one day, I found it. Forbidden alchemy, completely unlike anything I’d seen before. Alchemy that twists nature, sacrificing the future to obtain ultimate power: Eradication Alchemy. I knew the risks. Of course I did. But I simply couldn’t resist it. I tried it once, then again, and again. As I synthesized more, the power started to consume me. I soon forgot my original purpose, and just started to pursue Eradication Alchemy. Turning away from my friend, and getting drunk on power… The results were inevitable. And now…

His Past Overcome

…Luard?!

Using the Trice Flower we found here, I made an item that can materialize the past. …Girls, take a good look. That’s me, from the past. A foolish monster, losing sight of everything around him, swallowed by raw power.

So that’s… the Alt from the past…

Everyone… I have a request. Please, so I can continue into the future, and chase my old dream again… Will you join me and defeat him?

Yes, of course! Second time’s the charm!

Me too, me too! I’m going to totally destroy the od you, Alt!

That’s right. If your past is stopping you from moving on, defeat it and forget it! Come on, Alt!

Yes! Let’s do this, Lydie!

Open fire!

Just for old times’ sake…!

I’m going all out!

I’ll cover for you, Alt!

Hehe, as will I!

Thank you… Now, I’m betting it all on this!

It all worked out…! It’s finally over…!

Congratulations, Alt! You defeated your past self!

Ah…! Hahahah…! Hahahaha!

No, I just think it’s amusing. I never suspected that my past self was so weak! But it’s so obvious in hindsight! After all… Alchemy is the power of wishes. A heart that desires a wish to come true gives potent strength. So wishing for the future is going to be stronger! Of course it is! I should have known that!

Hehe…

It took me long enough, but now I can finally head out into the future.

Yes!

Hehe. I’m glad, “Alt”. (…There are some things about this that I can’t just let slide, but why ruin the mood? It can wait…)

Alt has acquired the skill “Stoic’s Pride”.

A new Combination Art for Lydie and Alt “Sanctuaire of Demise” is unlocked.

Stoic’s Pride - Increase Combination Arts damage.

The next day…

The Old Pervert Puppeteer

… Gah! Pervert!

W-What did you just say? How rude! You’d dare call me a pervert?

Sorry about that. Force of habit…

A habit? Just who are you?

Gah, this could get annoying. I’ll need to get through this…

In home kingdom, “pervert” is great compliment, it is. Like, “how wonderful you are looking”!

W-Where did that crazy accent come from? Still, I guess if this is just a misunderstanding…

Miss very understanding, yes, very! Hahaha! Bye-bye, you old pervert!

Hey! Hey said “old pervert” at the end there! Who was that weird kid? It feels like I’ve met him before somewhere…

And I came all the way here to avoid this kind of thing… Fate playing tricks again! So I mustn’t hang around here. Off to…

The Sister’s Affection

Oh, really? The sea is lovely! So large, so beautiful!

Hehehe, I saw you looking over the ocean so I thought I’d surprise you a little… Hold on? It feels like we’ve met somewhere before? Have we?

No, I don’t think so. Sounds like you’re imagining things?

Do you think so? You always had someone else with you, didn’t you? Is your younger brother well? Or was she a sister…? This is odd… Which one was it, again?

D-Don’t tell me! Even in my transformed state, you know who I am?!

Hehehe! You were both so clingy. So cute! That hasn’t changed, has it? If you need anything from me, you only have to ask.

Gah…! I must resist! I must not bend to this alluring magic! I’m an adult, over 500 years old! I can’t succumb to this! And yet… I can’t stop trembling! All of my cells, my very being, wants to accept her offer!

W-Waaaah! Uwah, Pamela! It’s been so hard! So difficult on me!

Okay, okay, good boy. You’ve done so well!

Waaaah! Pamela!

A Truce Between Old Men

Gah! Pervert! …drat, another old reflex!

Ah, the pervert caller! Great timing. I’ve been waiting to see you again. Care to grab some tea with me?

So sorry, so sorry! I very busy! Busy like working bee!

Hey, no need to be like that. We go way back… right, Luard?

… !

No really, no need to run! All I’m asking for is some of your time, and some tea. Now I’ve got a good place on Lune Street. Come!

Nope. She’s never been one to share information like that about others. It was the way you said “pervert”… That look in your eyes, the venom in your lips… I’ve been called all sorts of things in my life, but only Atomina could spike my heart like that.

You’re just making my case for me, I think…

Hahaha! Call it the hunch of an old man. You’ve changed though, haven’t you?

You think? I still strive to be an alchemist of evil.

True evil doesn’t call itself evil. Right now, you look full of hope to me.

Don’t get too full of yourself, “old” man. I’ve still got many more years on you!

Not at the moment you don’t. Not from the look of you, Luard… or should I say Alt? You just stay on the straight and narrow from now on. You understand?

I’ll do my best. See you around, you old pervert.

You too, kid from a far far land. Take care.

You too.

Atelier Sophie spoilers end here.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

In reference to the above update if people want to avoid sophie spoilers: This is where some differences in translation due to them switching translation companies crop up, in Sophie "Eradication Alchemy" was known as "Ablation Alchemy", and in Firis the friend Alt named himself for was "Ald".

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Robindaybird posted:

In reference to the above update if people want to avoid sophie spoilers: This is where some differences in translation due to them switching translation companies crop up, in Sophie "Eradication Alchemy" was known as "Ablation Alchemy", and in Firis the friend Alt named himself for was "Ald".

Hey, thanks for this! :tipshat:

Speaking of spoilers, the next two updates (or so I'm estimating) will also be pretty heavily spoilery for Atelier Sophie, for the same reason 10-7 was, just as a heads up. I'll be recording on Saturday and maybe I'll have the first of these two updates out on Sunday.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Part L-7: A Dream Made Reality

Remember how 10-7 spoils how Plachta went from being a book to a silver-haired girl in her and Sophie’s home game? Well, this update is gonna follow up on that, so :siren: Atelier Sophie spoilers ahoy, all update long! :siren:

With that, let’s drop into the tent for some serious business:

Sophie’s Final Push

I don’t think that’s the best idea. We need to ensure its stability.

Good point. This is harder than we thought, isn’t it…

Ah, Lydie, Sue! Can we ask you something? I’ve made the recipe for the item to make Plachta human, but the materials we need are pretty tough.

The quality we need is the problem. It seems unlikely that they exist in this world.

Huh? What do you mean? If the materials can’t exist, you can’t synthesize it!

I know. The recipe is perfect, though. There’s no holes in it, I’m sure.

Which means the basic hypothesis is incorrect, and we have to go back to square one…

Lydie! Say that again!

Well, I was just thinking, if they can’t exist in the real world, maybe they can exist inside a painting?

Miss Sophie… Painting worlds are raw alchemy. Alchemy is used to make the very worlds themselves…

And so they are filled with materials that can’t exist in the real world. Meanwhile, while they are created in their own unique world, they are also very stable… Yes. That’s not a bad idea.

I think it’s worth betting on that possibility. I don’t want to just give up! Lydie, Sue. Will you go with me and look for the materials I need?

Yes! Of course! Sue and I would love to help you!

Thanks! Just hold on, Plachta. I’ll find everything we need, no problem.

OK. Just be careful, and thank you for doing this.

So, Lydie… which paintings do you think we’ll find the materials Sophie needs in?

Hmm… looking at this recipe… I think our best bets are the Luminous Ice Grotto, the Great Cascades of Anfel, and Etel Nepica. Moreover, I wager that we’ll find what we need in the deepest depths of each painting.

I see… Thanks, Lydie. Hmm… Shall we start with the Luminous Ice Grotto?

Alright! Off we go!

The Ingredient from Hoarfrost

We’re almost at the end of the cavern, and have nothing to show for it…

Hmm, I’m not seeing anything we can use around here…

Yeah. Maybe there’s nothing here?

Maybe not. Let’s just look a little lon… ger…

Graaaaaaaaaah!

…I thought not!

Well, since it’s come to this…

Now let’s size this thing up…

Looks like we’ll need this, then!

Alright! That’ll set us up nicely for…

Phew… Why did it have to just pop up like that? …Hey!

Hey! That’s it. One of the materials I’m after!

Wow, it is? What a stroke of luck, Sophie!

Tell me about it! It was worth defeating that monster after all!

I guess so. Let’s carry on with the search in the other worlds, then!

Hmm… based on what you said earlier, Lydie… Let’s go to the Great Cascades next!

The Dragon Rampages Anew

Ah, Fuoco! What’s up? Why the panic?

He’s back! He’s back again! The fire dragon has returned!

It has? What should we do?

There’s nothing to think about, Sue. If we leave him unchecked this world really might end… Fuoco, you can leave it to us! We’ll take that dragon out, no problem!

Thank you so much! I’m sorry for always asking so much of you!

Oh! What about the recipe to…

If this world goes up in flames, then so will Sophie’s ingredient. And we’re going to the Merimer Depths to look for her ingredient anyway.

Point taken. Now, we haven’t a moment to lose!

The Dragons in Hellfire

Right! For Fuoco, and this entire world! We’re ending this here!

Both of you, thank you so much! You are the Saviors of our world, no doubt about it!

Hahah, you bet we are! Whatever you need, we’re the ones to…

Graaoooooow!

Take… care… of it?

It’s back again! But we just defeated it, right…?

Hmm. It seems a little fixated on me…

And quite docile, too. Don’t tell me…! The fire dragon has fallen for Fuoco…?

Whaaaat?! That sounds very unlikely to me…

Grah! Grrrah!

Ah, hey, cut that out! Please, you’re getting me all slobbery!

…I think I spoke too soon. It seems very likely. So the dragon was revived by…

The power of love. The desire to see Fuoco again. That pure emotion caused this miracle.

Impossible… is what I’d love to say. But this is a Mysterious World. Anything seems possible here.

Looks like it all worked out, to me! The fire dragon is smitten with Fuoco, and seems very calm.

Fuoco… I hope you and the fire dragon are very happy together!

…Hold on! Lydie! Sue! I can’t accept this!

Hehe… we have to move on, anyway.

Hahaha! …Oh!! Over here!!

Firis? Oh! Have you…

Yes, you’re right! Let’s gather some, quickly!

Uwah, now we’ve got a problem!

We can’t collect the material until we defeat that monster. What’s it gonna be, Sophie?

Do you even need to ask? Take it down!

Hehehe… done!

That takes care of that… Right! Now don’t mind if I do…

What do you think, Sophie?

…Yes, this will do the job. I think I can use this for the synthesis.

Great! That’s one step forward!

Great. Hehe, I’m glad to hear it!

Right. The search isn’t over yet! The last place we have to survey is la Terre de L’Origine, in Etel Nepica…

We’re close to the exit, but I don’t see the material Sophie needs…

Wait. To the southeast, there’s a part of this desert we haven’t explored yet, right? Maybe it’d be worth looking there…

The Ingredient Salvaged

Good idea… hold on. I think there’s something there, near that monster?

Ah! That’s one of the materials I need!

No! That monster is about to squish it!

We need to defeat that monster, before that happens! Let’s go!

Now, Sue. With your best marksmanship…

Yes, we got it! The material is safe, too!

Great! Let’s grab some before other monsters show up.

Me too. So glad we got it safely.

And that’s the third material… which means… Yes! Thank you, everyone! I’ve gotten everything I need.

Really? That’s great! This was such a good idea, Lydie!

Sue’s right! You worked out where we could find these items!

Heheh, you think? I’m just happy to have helped out!

Thanks again. Now I should be able to turn Plachta back into a human! Everyone, back to the atelier! I need to start synthesizing right away!

Synthesis, Dream and Duty

You have? Thank you so much!

It’s no problem…. Sophie, to work!

Yes, it’s time to start synthesizing! I can’t afford to fail. I need to concentrate!

I’ll help, too! That will be more effective than working alone!

Good idea. We’ll help too!

This synthesis has to fall to me, and me alone.

Miss Sophie…

Very well. In which case, we’ll provide support from the sidelines! You can do it!

Do it, do it, Sophie!

Hehe, thanks! You’ve just given me a big boost of confidence! I’ll call you once it’s finished. I want you to see Plachta turn into a human!

Heheh, we’re looking forward to it. Good luck, Sophie! You can do it!

Are you sure about this? Couldn’t you use the help?

I’m sure. Call it my pride as an alchemist, maybe. And besides… turning you into a human, so you can see things and feel the same way as I do… that’s been my most heartfelt wish for all these years. So I have to be the one to manifest that wish!

Sophie…!

I’ll be fine. I’m not going to screw this up, I promise.

We know! There’s no way you can fail.

Thanks. This is it, then. The final stage of the mission to make Plachta human! Let’s go!

…Are you sure, Sue? Sophie told us to leave it all to her.

Yeah, but she’s doing such an impossibly difficult synthesis… we can’t just leave her be, can we?

Good, cauldron temp is perfect… Now just wait a little longer, let them separate…

She’s totally focused. We’d better not interrupt her.

Yeah… Good idea… Good luck, Sophie!

And so, many days later…

Warmth

I think I know what’s happening…!

I should think so! The item to turn Plachta human has been completed! Come on, let’s go and see! Hurry up, hurry up!

Uwah, no need to tell us twice! We’re going already!

Yeah! We can’t wait any more than you can!

From me, too. All of this trouble just for me…

Not at all! Come on, Sophie, show us what you’ve made!

This item controls the… ah, let’s not get into the complex stuff right now. In any case, if this goes according to plan, we should be able to turn Plachta human!

Wow…! My heart is pounding…!

Me too… To be present at a moment like this!

Miss Sophie, it’s time.

OK. Plachta, are you ready?

Yes. Whenever you are, Sophie. Having all these people here reminds me of the time when I moved from the book to the doll.

Ahaha, yes! Just like back then, I’ll succeed this time too! Now… Here I go! We’re all counting on you, Ribil Tome of Magic!
Soul, to its rightful home! Lead Plachta to a human body!

What happened! Did it work?

Plachta…!

Yes. What is it?

Ah…! Plachta…! Plachta…!

I’m fine, thank you… Hehe, Sophie!

W-What is it? You don’t hurt, do you?

You’re so warm… So warm… Sophie…! Sniff…

Sniff… Plachta! I’m so sorry for keeping you waiting so long. Finally… I’ve turned you back into a human…! Uwaaah! Thank goodness! Finally! Uwaaaaaaaaaaaaah…!

Hehe… isn’t this just absolutely heartwarming?

Yes…! It’s beautiful to watch!

Mmm! Let it all out, you two…

Me too. Crying so openly in front of other people…

Don’t worry about it… I teared up as well, just watching you…

That’sh right! Cry all you like! You’ve finally achieved your dream of all theesh yearsh!

Heheh, Sophie, Plachta. Congratulations!

Everyone! Thank you so much for all your help!

Allow me to share my gratitude, too. It’s thanks to all of you that I’ve become human again. Sophie and I will repay this great debt, I swear. Look forward to it.

Hehe, that sounds promising! We’d better get going, anyway… I’m sure they’ve got a lot to talk about, Lydie.

Yeah. We’ll just get out of your hair! See you later!

…I think I’ll go for a walk too. Just relax and get to know each other again, you two!

H-Hey, hold it! I think you’re all getting the wrong idea!

Right! W-What are we to talk about, suddenly being left alone like this?

You’re right. Let’s just enjoy some idle chatter.

Hey, I know. I’ve got something…

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

... or we could just get on with what everyone wants to see in the first place. <proceeds to jump Plachta's bones>

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

You're all free to use your imagination as to what transpires in the tent after Firis and the twins evacuate the premises

just keep it PG-13 if you're gonna post it itt

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Part L-8: A New Reality

This update is a continuation of the previous one, and thus, :siren: Atelier Sophie spoilers, all update long, etc. etc. :siren:

All you need to know from the last update is…

…That this is Plachta now. Anyway, moving on!

Hip-Crusher Plachta

Totally!

Yes please!

Very well! Hmm, I believe Liane keeps the tea leaves in this cabinet…

Psst, Lydie… Is it just me, or…

Yeah. She seems to have trouble stan…

…Oh.

Are you alright, Plachta?!

… I am sorry. It’s embarrassing, but I’m not very used to this body yet… It’s been 500 years since I had a human one. I can’t seem to find the right balance…

By the way, how does it even feel, having a doll’s body? Were your joints like all hard?

Not at all. It was the work of a master, after all. Even if there were times when I would injure it, it never failed me otherwise.

Hmmmm. Does that mean that a human body is actually less comfortable?

Ahaha, well, I wouldn’t say that… I am simply not used to it yet. But this body does… how should I say it… “fit better”? I guess.

“Fit better”?… I can’t even begin to understand…

That is natural. Usually, humans do not get to experience having more than one kind of body, after all… Well, when I first got my doll body it didn’t take that long to get used to it. So I think it won’t be long now…

Uh? That was some nasty noise… Ahh! The flask is in shards!

I think it got crushed under Plachta’s bottom… Hip-crusher Plachta… A technique to fear…

Hip-crusher?! Don’t give me any weird nicknames!

Yeah, I mean her hips are pretty big… Oh. No. I mean…! Ugh, well, we’ll be going now! Bye!

Wait right there! Mocking my complexes… You’ll get an earful yet!

…Waaah! She can run just fine! I think we’ve inspired her to master her new body!

Run for it! She’ll spank us for sure if she catches up!

Gah… just what IS that door in their basement made of? No matter what I tried, I couldn’t break it down… Well! Home I go…

Hm? Could that be…?

The Dollmaker’s Inspection

Indeed, Fritz. Can I help you with something?

Heh, well, I’d heard you’d become human so I came to see you. It seems like just the other day, when you took on that doll body.

Indeed. The body you made for me was wonderful. The reason I could become human again was because of that body. Thank you so much.

Hahaha, no need to thank me again. We’ve known each other for a long time now. I’m just really glad for you.

Me too.

Ah, there was another reason I came today as well.

Yes, what is it?

If your human body is a transformation of the doll one, I’m interested in the changes in my work… Plachta. I would very much like to inspect your body.

Hehe… I’m glad to see you haven’t changed. Very well.

W-Wait! I should explain myself! I only meant the joints and parts like that!

Enough words! Eat this!

And don’t come back! Hmph! I can’t believe the nerve…

Plachta! I just put the cookies in the oven!

Sophie! Wonderful, I can’t wait!

Several days later…

You sure about this, Sue? Think she’s forgiven us by now?

Yeah… I mean, if she really wanted to spank us silly, she could have come at any point over the past few days. Let’s drop in!

The 500 Years’ Hunger

You have? Some kind of emergency job?

Yes, that’s right. You see… Oh!!

You’re hungry?

That’s right. It’s been a long time since I experienced rumbling like this last. Since becoming human again, everything I eat is just so delicious! So I want both of you to feed me with the most delicious stuff you can find!

Hahaha, I guess that makes sense. You can leave this to us, then!

We’ll bring enough food to feed you ten times over!

As quickly as possible, please. Hehehe!

Uwaaah! We’ll be quick, we promise, just don’t eat us!

Hehehe… I’ll be waiting…

We can’t go wrong with giving her some of Mom’s pancakes!

Right. Is it just me, or is Plachta more… well, what’s important is that she doesn’t eat US.

Plachta! We’ve got some of the most delicious food we could find!

This should fill you up, Plachta! Go ahead, eat…

What! You’ve finished already?

I-I think I blinked and missed it! Is this what happens when you go hungry for 500 years?

The 500 Years’ Hunger! Yes, I might enter an eating contest under that name.

Hahaha. You’ll probably face Firis in the final!

Probably. Anyway, recently, eating has been giving me so much joy. Being able to truly enjoy delicious food might be the best thing about becoming human again. I did eat while I was a doll, after all, but I couldn’t taste the food.

I see, I see… A bit of indulging now isn’t going to hurt, then, is it?

What is it, Suelle? Have I got some food stuck on my face?

No, but I was just thinking… Have you put on a little weight, Plachta?

?!

Hey, now that you mention it… You do look a little plumper!

Y-You might be right… I have been feeling heavier recently. I overlooked that point… Completely forgot about it! A human body gets larger, doesn’t it!

Uwah! Is the human body so cruel? What can I do?! I want to eat, but I don’t want to get fat! Sophie! Sophie! Answer me! Give me the answer!

Plachta… That’s a battle every human has to fight for themselves… That’s the truth of life, Plachta. You’re living it now.

Sue, I think that might be going a little far!

No use sugarcoating it. I’m sure she’ll work it out in due time. Anyway, we’re done here for now!

Days later…

The Same Heavenly Feeling

Eh?! Are you alright?! Did you sprain it?!

No way! I’m not that old yet! I just spent a bit too long at my desk last night…

Oh… Well, maybe you just need a massage? I could help you. I’m actually pretty good at it! Sometimes I even get asked by our neighbors…

Really? Well, if you don’t mind…

Sophie? Sorry, I think I’ll need my usual maintenance…

Ahahaha! Maintenance? You’re a human now!

Ah… Right. Sorry, of course you’re right… Heh… That heavenly ticklish feeling… I guess I’ll never get to experience that again…

She looks pretty disappointed about that… Does maintenance really feel that good?

I wonder… It’s not like we can do it to humans… Hm? Oh! I’ve got it! Your offer of a massage. I think there’s someone better to…

Hehe… leave it to me!

Ehehe, does it really feel that good, Plachta?

It does… It really does… It feels the best…

Wow. That’s some face, Plachta! Lydie must be really good.

Ugh, I think I’m getting envious. Lydie! I want one too, after all!

Okaay! Just give me a few minutes here. …Hn! This should be a good spot!

Oooohh! Amazing… you’re really amazing, Lydie! I can’t… think anymore…

Ehehe! That’s right, that’s right. And for the finish… there’s this special technique…

Oooohh! I’m in heaven… !

Some minutes later…

Thank… you… very much…

It was… very… good

… Oops. I might have overdone it a little.

I wouldn’t say “a little”… But they look pretty happy, so I guess it’s alright?

Yeah, you’re right! It’s nice to do something good!

… Good? … That?

… I don’t think I’ll ever risk getting a massage from Lydie.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Next update will be the first in a while to not have Sophie spoilers, promise!

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

… I don’t think I’ll ever risk getting a massage from Lydie.

You've turned them into William Shatner!

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Part L-9: An Oath of Return

Hmm, what else do I need? I need some more rations, and a blanket too…

The Next Mysterious Journey

Ah, yeah. I’ve seen Sophie and the others here. I’m going to leave Merveille for a while.

Of course… You’re a tuna, after all, Firis.

Stop calling me a fish! Uwah, now I feel all smelly!

Wow, so you’re leaving, Firis… Any idea where you’re going?

No, I haven’t decided. I’m just going to see where my feet take me. But I’ve decided on a plan. I’m going to repay my debts to everyone!

Repay…?

Just like before, I’m going to study all sorts of things as I travel. Then I’m going to use the things I’ve learned to help all the people who’ve helped me! That’s how I’m going to repay them all. A bit vague, perhaps, but that suits my style!

Yes, it’s just like you, Firis!

A kind and fine goal to have. We’ll be behind you all the way, Firis.

Hehe, thanks. That really gets me fired up to do this!

Later that day…

A Gift of Return

I want to give something as a gift to everyone who has helped me around here. I’ve got something for most people, but I’ve gone a bit overboard on my gift for Ilmeria…

Let me guess… You’ve run out of materials?

Yes, that’s right. I’m sorry, but could you help me with the synthesis?

No trouble at all! Hehe! A good chance to show you our progress, too!

Lydie, Sue. I’ll be counting on you!

Will do! Hmm… this note says that all she needs is…

…An Elixir of Laawe!

Here you go, Firis. We’ve made the items you wanted.

Thanks! Yes, these look very well made. Right, now it’s my turn! I’ll synth this up in a moment, just hold on.

Great! We’ll watch and get some tips!

So what did you need the Elixir of Laawe for, Firis?

Hehe! You’ll see soon enough…

Hold on, Firis. What is this?

I’ll explain later. I have to get this to her at once! And you’re coming along too, aren’t you, Lydie? Sue?

Of course! Because after all…

This is gonna be good…!

Il!

Here you are again. What is it this time?

Hehehe! I’ve got a present for you today!

What is this? Some kind of item for bending space?

That’s right, Il! It’s a tool that lets you move freely between two points.

Two points? Which means…

I can move freely between your atelier and mine?

That’s right. We can meet up whenever we like!

Wow… You made this crazy item just to keep your promise…? You dummy! You super dummy!

Hey, don’t call me a dummy! It wasn’t easy to think this up, you know!

I know… Thank you, Firis. The strength of your feelings have reached me. …Remember this, though. With this item I can now visit your atelier anytime. If you take too long to come back, I’ll be over to bother you everyday!

Hahaha, I’ll keep that in mind! We’ll be friends forever, Il!

We certainly will, if I have anything to say about it.

…Sue. Sue! Let’s leave them to it.

Hehehe… Anyway! Should we head back to the Garden of Merk? Maybe Liane will have something for us at her shop.

Sure, why not?

We’re here! …Oh… Oh dear…

Liane’s Gifts and Hints

Firis! Firis! Firis, Firis, Firiiiiiiiiis…!

Hehe, that’s right! Firis has given me a present!

That wasn’t a compli… ahem! A present? Is this the gift she was talking about before?

Yes, that’s right! It was a handmade muffler! I don’t think she used alchemy to make it, either. It’s a bit uneven in places… But that just makes it cuter! I’m so happy. What a great gift, truly!

Hahaha! I’m very happy for you, Liane!

Thanks! So now I’ve got a request for you.

I’m sure we can handle it. What do you need?

I want to give presents to people close to me, too. Something famous from this city. But I just don’t know what to choose… I wasn’t able to make a decision. That’s what I want your help with, girls. Can you find some things for me?

What? You want us to choose your gifts? Are you sure?

Yes. You grew up here, so you should have some good ideas. I need three things. Three gifts. Can you handle that?

Sure. We’ll pick things to really impart your feelings, Liane!

Hehehe. You can count on us!

Hmm… something elegant, and emblematic of Merveille…

We have the perfect items for her!

Liane! We’ve got the items you wanted!

We selected them carefully ourselves! Hehe, I’ve got a lot of confidence in these!

Oh, how lovely! I’m sure they’ll love them! Hehe, thank you, girls. I’m glad I asked you.

That’s fine, no problem. Can you tell us who you are sending this to, though?

Sure I can. I’m sending two to my parents back home. The third is for…

Gulp! Who!

The most important person…! Wow, that sounds so cool, right Sue?

Yes! A sweeping romance! But hold on a moment… Surely, for Liane, the most important person in her life would be Firis…?

Sorry! Firis is of course very important to me, but this isn’t for her!

Huh? Who, then? A romantic partner, separated by long distance?

Heh, I’ll leave that to your imagination. Adults have all sorts of secrets!

Uwah, that just makes me want to know more! Tell us, Liane!

No can do. I can’t tell anyone that, even you two.

What? For our dad? What do you mean?

A hint, if you can decipher it… Right. I need to get back to work.

Ah, you’re running away! You can’t escape, Liane!

Hehehe! If I say it’s a secret, it’s a secret!

Sigh… hate to admit it, but we really won’t get anything more out of her on this.

Feh… Let’s go home, Lydie…

The next morning…

Gift of Journeys to Come

Lydie! Sue! I’m coming in!

Hey, Firis. Ah, I see! You’ve come to get revenge on Lydie at cards!

Ah, that is tempting, but that’s not why I’m here… I’ve got a gift for both of you, too!

What? You made gifts for us too?

Of course! You’ve helped me a lot, too. Just this gift alone almost isn’t enough! I really wanted to let you know how grateful I am. So, without further delay, here you go!

Yes. It’s a winger, portable atelier! It’s basically the same as my own atelier! Those wings are really great. It will fly to wherever you need it to!

Wow… I’ve given up being amazed by how amazing you are, Firis.

Me too! Hahaha! Thank you so much for this gift.

You seemed keen on doing some traveling, so I thought of something to help you out. That’s all. Traveling is great! It’s fun, and you learn so much. I really want you both to try it. You’ll make a load of new discoveries if you do… Hahaha! The world is just so large, after all!

OK! Hey, Sue, if we are going to travel, where do you want to go?

Good question. An island? Ooh, a quiet forest! …Ah, I can’t pick just one place! I want to see loads of different places!

Well said! Me too. So let’s really push the boat out…

Hmmmm, seeing them have so much fun is making me itch to get back on the road, too! North, south, or maybe west! Which way should I head next…? Oh, right! Girls! Liane sent for you earlier today. Don’t ask me what for, though…

Liane…? Well, we’ll see what she needs soon enough!

Alright! Off to the garden!

Liane! Liane!

Lydie, Sue. This is for you.

The Doting Sister’s Gift

That’s right! That’s my secret book of recipes for Firis!

Book of Recipes “Firis” received.

Oh dear! This sounds like it could get messy!

Not at all! These miraculous dishes have fostered the love between us!

That doesn’t sound any better!

Hehehe. When thinking about Firis, I just keep thinking of new recipes! I thought maybe they could be used for something, so I’ve been writing them down. What do you think?

Tut-tut, Liane. You’re underestimating alchemy! First, even if you are Firis’ sister, you can’t just start making alchemy recipes…

You’re kidding! That can’t be… wah, it is! We could mix some of these up right away!

Oh, really? I don’t understand, but if you can use them, that’s great.

Hold on. Liane, have you really never done any alchemy?

Nope. Never.

And yet look at the quality of these… You might just be a genius, Liane!

Hahaha! That sounds so likely, I’m actually scared!

Pardon?

Ah, it’s nothing. Hahaha!

Really? Alright then. It’s just something to thank you for everything, anyway. My recipes, named for my love for Firis! I hope you can make some good use of them!

Thank you very much. Wow, it’s a little… nope, strike that, very heavy!

Girls, I hope you’ll continue to be good friends with us!

Sure thing!

Ah, but just to clarify, you should be better friends with Firis than with me. Understand? For example, if we were both drowning in a river, you should definitely save her. Forget about me!

Li… Ah, haha… there she goes again…

Let’s beat it, Lydie. It’s not like she’ll even notice if we ditch her.

Right. Later, Liane! Not that you can hear us…

After all, Firis is a world treasure! She’s the light illuminating this world!

Let’s… all… steen…

Leitzelstein. Anyway, this is the best bow we can get for Firis.

Now, let’s go home! The sooner we can put down Liane’s book of recipes for good, the better!

Learned Bursting Gift recipe.

Zzz… Lydie, what’ll it be?

I found a recipe we can use! Hmm… I think we might have even seen Firis herself making this!

We have! Is this her signature bomb or something?

I bet it is! So we oughta do this thing justice…

We have some solid traits and components to work with here, but this won’t be enough…

Good thing we have enhancers!

And that’s a wrap! We oughta get Firis to show us how it’s done…

Off we go! A gift from the sky!

Did she just…

Better question, where’d she get that broom?

Oh no…

Uwaaaah!

Phew…

I almost thought WE were gonna be collateral damage…

Hehe, do you think I’d let that happen to you two?

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jul 14, 2019

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Part L-10: The Dream They Shared

Hey, remember how L-6 fell under the giant Sophie Spoiler Umbrella™? Well, this update in its entirety is spoilery for the exact same reason, so :siren: Sophie spoilers, all update long! :siren:

With that, the twins are due for a visitor in their atelier. A visitor, or a fugitive…

Alt’s Determination

Hey, Alt! Welcome!

Hehe! Did you at least bring some snacks?

Sorry, you know that’s not I’m wired. I just had to flee my atelier again. Even more women have been crowding the place recently… I can’t get anything done!

Haha, you’ve got me, Lydie. It’s not like I want any of this… Well, enough about that. I also have something I want to ask you.

Ah, go ahead! Fight some monsters? Synth up some items? We can handle it!

Good… I’m looking for some materials today, actually.

Materials? Is this another bug-hunt, like for that Trice Flower?

No, this is easy enough to find. It should be growing pretty much anywhere. I’d rather go alone and get it, but I’m still a bit worried…

I bet. With your popularity, who knows what might happen!

That’s right. I might suddenly be surrounded by women. So, girls, can I count on you?

Hahaha, thanks. I’ll be looking forward to it.

All he needs is some Moisture Grass… we have plenty of great Moisture Grass. So we oughta hurry over to his atelier immediately.

Lydie…? What’s the matter?

Nothing. Now let’s go.

Ah, the Moisture Grass. Thanks for getting it for me, and delivering it too! With this, I can make the item I need… Thank you, both of you.

Not at all. What are you making, though? Something to drive off all your female customers?

No, nothing quite that extreme. You’ll have to wait to find out…

:blush: Alt! I’ve got so much I need you to do!

Uwah! Hold on, hold on! Calm down…! Save me, girls!

Haha, you’re as popular as ever, Alt… We’ll leave you to it!

Hey, wait!

:blush: Alt! Forget about those little girls and look over here. I’ve got loads of work for you! Come on!

Gah, stop pulling on me! D… drat those heartless twins!!

Are you sure about this, Lydie? I could hear him screaming after us as you dragged me out the door…

Yes. Let’s leave him to it, I said. Besides…

I guess he’ll be busy with whatever he’s making with that Moisture Grass we gave him after he’s done dealing with those ladies. So…

Let’s wait a few days.

Right. A few days, for you to calm down too…

What was that?

N-Nothing!

A few days later…

Reunion and Reconciliation

Uwah… Alt, are you angry…?

I g-guess we shouldn’t have left you like that… I’m really sorry!

Hahaha, I’m joking. I was just having some fun! I’m not that angry. It’s fun teasing you, though… I understand how Mathias feels.

Ooh, Alt, you’re mean!

I’m sorry… Here, take a look at this.

Yeah. I made this with that Moisture Grass. This, you see, is the first item I ever made.

Wow, it is! Then it must be really amazing!

Regrettably, it has almost no effect. A very poor example of alchemy, I’m afraid. But it’s still a good memory for me. This is where I got my start.

So this is where you started… I can feel the warmth from it, Alt.

Thank you. …I made this with Plachta. I’d like to go and show this to her, but I’m a bit embarrassed to go myself…

Very well. We’ll go with you, just this once. We’d be worried to send you out there on your own.

Hahaha, you really do have me pinned. Let’s go right away, then.

Luard…? What’s wrong?

I wanted to show you this.

Yes. …I finally remembered. Those times when we started out together.

Hahaha, it took you long enough! About 500 years too long!

I’m sorry about that. Also… I’ve made up my mind to proceed, looking forward. So I want you to have this.

Me…?

Yes. On this item, I swear… I will never lose my way again. As proof of that vow, I want you to have this.

Very well. It’s a request from you, after all.

Thank you. …I’m going back to basics, in order to realize my dream. To use alchemy to make people happy. The dream I had back when I was a child… No, the dream WE shared when we were children. So, you know… I’ll do my best, Plachta.

Hehe…

Hahaha, I think that was a bit corny…

Yes, it was. Very corny. You really turned back the clock on that one. But I’m glad. At long last, just like the day we started… We are aiming for the same thing, after all. Let’s work together, Luard.

…Sure.

…We’d better be going now, Sue.

Right. Still though… we just saw something really beautiful, didn’t we, Lydie?

We did! Alt and Plachta… I can feel how happy they are right now! It’s been 500 years since they’ve been able to have a heart-to-heart conversation like this. 500 years’ worth of catching up to do…

…So they’re gonna be at it for a while.

Later that day…

…What?! Luard came by earlier?!

Yes. We…

That does it! I’m getting right to the bottom of this!

S-Sophie, wai-

Miss Sophie! Don’t leave me behind!

Reunion or Confrontation?

Yeah, spill it! You said you could never turn back, right? So I was told!

If you’re planning something nasty again… you know what will happen, right?

You’ve got me all wrong, honestly! I didn’t really want to turn back! I was doing some pretty serious synthesizing and I fell into my cauldron, alright? Perhaps it was a miracle, I don’t know, but I got turned back to my original body. And was de-aged…

Hmm. So long as that’s all this is, fine…

Thank goodness for that, Alt. I thought Miss Sophie was going to have to beat you down again!

Uwah, that’s unexpected! You don’t have the face for such violence, Sophie!

Girls! No, you’ve got this all wrong. Well, not all wrong, but there was a reason…

And all I was doing was some research in my atelier! Ah, I can hardly bear to think about it…

Hey! Hold it, that’s not…

Is that really what happened? Hearing Alt’s side of it, I’m starting to sympathize with him…

Not you too, Firis! I think you’re all getting the wrong idea here!

Hehehe… Looks like the tables have turned!

Uwah! Turning my student on me like that… Unforgivable!

…Hahaha! Can I get in on this action?

Firis! Not you, too! This isn’t fair!

Yeah, they do. Best friends!

Girls, please! Stop smiling on the sidelines and help me! SAVE MEEEEEEEE!

…You’ll be just fine, Alt!

Have fun, you three!

The next day…

After 500 Years

Alchemy is a wonderful power, like a dream. It can even restore lost connections from the past.

Yes. I think so, too.

However, that power is still developing. The path of alchemy continues, without end… So I want you to further develop this power, girls. The power of the future! You need to surpass me, Plachta, Sophie and Firis, and reach a height no one has ever reached!

Very well. A little at a time, in order to not get swallowed. We’ll remember your teachings, Alt!

Haha. Keep on working hard everyday.

Hahaha. Alt, try to avoid those hordes of women, too! Otherwise we really will overtake you, in a flash!

I know, I know. I’ll be careful. See you later.

…And there they go, with every bit as much of the energy and promise they had back when they first stepped through these doors. …What a life this has been! After more than 500 years, I’ve suffered, and I’ve hated. But in the end, that led me to Sophie, and Firis, and both of you special girls. And having seen what you’re capable of and how you want to use that power, I can see exactly how you’ll leave your mark on this world! This is the start of a new era. An era in which alchemy will be used to save people.
If I can make the smallest contribution to that… If I can see just a little of it for myself…

A new Combination Art for Mathias and Alt “Einzelkampf” is unlocked.

So this is Alt’s capstone book…

It is. He said that this book will reveal all the truths of alchemy!

Without any further ado… Hagel!

You got it, girls!

Hmm… Wait, this book’s pages are all blank?!

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Part L-11: Their Cherished Mentor

Hello! …Hm?

The Teachers Convene

What? I don’t think we ever really sat down and read books, did we?

Good point… Sophie has quite a unique method of teaching.

T-That’s not true! Alright, well, maybe it is… Sorry I wasn’t a more orthodox teacher!

Ah, no need to apologize! You’re a practical teacher, that’s all! That’s fine too, hahaha! I didn’t dislike it, either. It was great fun, learning from you!

Firis…!

We are having a little meeting of teachers and students, talking about the best ways to teach.

Wah, you do that too? So that stuff you were just talking about…

Hehehe. I’m surprised to hear you dislike studying, Sue. Ilmeria has been telling us all about it!

Ah, well… I’m sorry, Ilmeria…

Ilmeria?

What? Ah, sorry… I wasn’t listening.

How about we close this meeting and eat? You two can join us, if you’d like.

Ah, would that be alright? Great!

One meal later…

Please come again, anytime!

Ilmeria, can I ask? Sorry if I’m wrong about this, but you look a bit upset about something…

I noticed that as well… Is it about me?

No, it’s not that. Not entirely. It’s just that Sophie and Firis are so dazzling… Firis talked about how much fun it was to learn from Sophie. I know the way I teach is a bit boring… I’ve just been thinking about that. That maybe it would have been better if someone else had become your teacher…

That’s…!

Sorry. I’m going home now. Bye bye, girls.

Why would she say that?

It’s my fault… Because I hate studying so much.

Sue!

Sniff… (Well… I know what must be done! No matter how much I hate it…)

How They’ve Grown

You’ll give yourself a fever and collapse, pushing yourself so! Stop it, Sue!

Hey, that’s just mean. It will take more than an hour to make me collapse!

I guess it might, but what’s brought this on so suddenly?

I’m worried about Ilmeria. I’m the reason she’s so sad… I can’t imagine having any other teacher. We are so lucky to have found her… So I’m working to be able to withstand longer sessions of studying, but… uwah!

…You can’t take anymore.

Ah, I’m worthless! A worthless student who only causes trouble for her teacher.

Sue… Right, I’ve got an idea!

An idea? What for, a recipe?

No, an operation. An operation to let our teacher know how we feel! Ilmeria said it before, didn’t she? That she is happy to see her students grow. So let’s make an incredible item and give it to her! Something to show her how much we’ve grown!

Of course! We’re alchemists, after all. Giving her something we’ve synthesized would be the best gift!

Well said! Let’s think about what we should make, then!

Let’s! Hmm… How about Philosopher’s Stones? Giving her some would show her we’ve become great alchemists in our own right…

Yeah, but I don’t think they’d cut it on their own. We have to make it more of our own… and something she’d like…

Something cute… Oh! If we switch up the recipe for Philosopher’s Stones like this…

Go on!

Hmm… yes, there we go! We’ve done it. We’ve really done it! This isn’t going to be easy, either, is it…

If we’re making something for Ilmeria, it has to be cute. This recipe is totally amazing!

Yes! These Cute Philosopher’s Stones will surely tell her exactly how we feel!

You said it! Just you wait and see, teach!

We were a bit short on Ashes of Origin and Crimson Stones…

But now that we have them, we can really do this operation justice!

We’re even using Philosopher’s Stones as a catalyst, and more yet as ingredients… this’ll turn out really nicely!

Shame about the loss of a trait, though… but this is the catalyst we need for the synthesis space we need!

Perfect! Now, to Teach’s at once!

Oh! Girls…?

Her Ultimate Students

Teacher! This is for you!

Wow…! Incredibly cute Philosopher’s Stones! They look so different, I presume this is an original recipe? Did you two think this up?

Yes! We created it together!

I almost can’t believe it! But why? Don’t tell me…

Hehehe, I think you’ve worked it out. We wanted to show you how much we’ve grown.

I know, I’m a bad student. I don’t like studying, I can’t sit still for ten seconds… But I love learning alchemy from you! I want you to know that!

Sue…

Hehe. Other people have taught us, too, but your lessons just calm me down the most. After all, we’ve grown so much thanks to all the fundamentals you’ve drummed into us!

Lydie!

That’s right. Be your normal, confident, kind, gentle and cute self! Please!

All this to say… Please, Ilmeria! Continue to teach us!

Please!

Hold on. Did you think this would make me happy?

W-What? It didn’t work?

B-Because I can’t study? Are we going to be kicked out? Are we really going to be kicked out?!

Hahahaha! Maybe we can skip that part…?

Hahaha, thank you, both of you. You’ve blown away all the clouds from my heart. Lydie, Sue… You are the ultimate students.

Teach…

Being blessed with such fine students… Ah, how lucky I am!

Ilmeria has acquired the skill “Outstanding Genius Alchemist”.

Outstanding Genius Alchemist - Restore a small amount of MP each turn.

Hehe! Sue, don’t you feel closer than ever before with Teach now?

I sure do! But this isn’t as far as we can go… so let’s go home and redouble our efforts!

And so, several long months later…

Different Developmental Paths

Okay, using this method, right after heating the athanor…

Mix this in quickly, and if you hit something on the bottom draw it out at once…

Sure! Low heat, mix slowly in perfect circles. Remove any impurities, and then turn up the heat! Right, all done!

You’ve both developed in completely different directions, haven’t you!

One question at a time, please. I’m here because I was just passing by. As for going in completely different directions, surely you’ve noticed it yourselves?

Logic and instinct… Now that you point it out, I think you’re right.

Hehe. There’s no right answer. Neither is better than the other. It’s just interesting how, under the same teacher, you’ve developed so differently.

Hahaha, I guess you’re right…

Anyway. I think I need to praise you, too, just a little. You’ve become so good at alchemy. Leaps and bounds ahead of where you started. I think you’ve both achieved so much. I’m so proud, as your teacher.

Ilmeria! That’s the nicest thing you’ve said to us!

Get ready, Sis! A whole ton of homework is going to rain down on us! Run for it!

Hey, you two! I was just being nice to you! …I can’t believe those two… They’ve grown as alchemists, but they’re still just kids. I’d better get home and do some studying myself. I can’t afford to hang behind, either, can I…

…Okay, it’s been long enough, right? We’re in the clear, right?

Yeah. Say, maybe we should drop into the tent again…

The Teachers’ Fight

Hold it! Firis is the best student, and that’s a fact!

No, that’s not right! Escha is definitely a better student than me!

I won’t accept that! Lydie and Sue are the best!

Ah, well. We were having another teacher and student meeting… And we got into a fight about which of our students is the most capable…

Hahaha, I think I see now. But hold on, Firis, you have a student too?

She does. Enough of this, though. This kind of battle means nothing at all.

That’s right. I know it’s odd for us to say this, being involved, but everyone has their own…

Oh… Here comes another biased teacher…

Hey, girls, great timing! Come on, say something! Tell them that you’re the best!

What? W-We can’t do that! It doesn’t matter who’s the “best”, anyway…

Uwah!

Very well. We aren’t going to settle this today. Let’s wait a little longer and see what happens.

Good idea. Considering Escha’s incredible potential, this should be settled pretty soon!

Don’t write yourself off so soon, Firis! You’re still growing yourself!

And you’re one to talk, Sophie! Your talent shows no sign of slowing down!

…Let’s not get caught up in this, Lydie…

Yeah. I can’t see this ever being settled…

Hah! None of you get it, do you? The alchemists with the greatest potential for the future are… The two who will become the greatest in the land, taught by a genius alchemist in her own right! Lydie and Sue! The only possible choices! Isn’t that right, girls? …Girls?

Ilmeria has acquired the skill “Leader’s Guidance”.

A new Combination Art for Alt and Ilmeria “Four Pillars of Heaven Judgment” is unlocked.

Leader’s Guidance - Increase Combination Arts damage.

Hey, Lydie. As far as we’ve come and as much alchemy as we’ve done, and as much as we’ve developed differently…

Yeah. I was wondering, too… But first!

This is Teach's ultimate staff. Can't say it isn't ornate.

Now, to the atelier!

Lydie, Sue, are you home?! I…

Varied Voices

…will see you later…

Ah, wait, don’t go! It’s not what you think!

Sorry! I’m sure that looked really odd, but I assure you there’s an explanation! Really!

No, er, well… That is… Sue and I were listening to the voice of an ore…

Oh? The voice…?

Yes… We can hear the voices of our materials, but we were just wondering if we each heard the same thing…

We’d never actually compared notes when it comes to how the materials speak to us.

Come to think of it… Hehe, that sounds interesting! Count me in too! You know I can hear the voices of ore very well! Let me join in on your ceremony!

Of course…! But it still isn’t a ceremony… Okay, then, shall we begin?

This time, let’s try not to look too weird…

…Okay, I’ve heard what it had to say. Are you ready?

Heh, of course! How about you, Sue?

Yes! Let’s all take turns explaining the personality of the ore, and what it had to say! I’ll go first! This particular ore has an aggressive, masculine personality, and it wants to become an all-powerful weapon.

Huh…? To me it sounded like a gentle, kind boy. It did say it wanted to get stronger by becoming a weapon…

I heard a young man of 22 years of age. His homeland had been overrun by monsters. Because of that, he was separated from his beloved. He wants to become a weapon and travel in search of her.

Hmm… Each of us heard the same ambition, but from very different characters…

Yes. And Firis heard way more detail than us. I guess that’s just a difference in talent…

I’m not sure, but… what really matters is that we can hear the voices of materials… If what they want turns out to be the same for all of us, then the other details don’t really matter.

Firis… you’re right… It is the true goal of alchemy to lead each material to its fated destiny!

Yeah! But this was kind of fun… Want to try it with something else?

Haha, of course! I wonder what voices we’ll hear this time…!

Lydie, Sue, are you home?! I’m here to…

…I think I must be a little tired. You can’t have seen what you thought you saw, Ilmeria. Isn’t that right… Hehe…

And we’re closing this update with another visit to the tent… and :siren: some more spoilery stuff for Atelier Sophie. :siren: So if that’s something you care about, then that’s it for this update!

Plachta in Action

Girls, good timing. In fact, perfect timing! I’ve got a request for you. Will you watch me synthesize?

Synthesize? But you said you couldn’t do it before…

That was because of my doll body. Now that I am human again, I should, in theory, be able to perform alchemy again…

Of course! In which case, we’d love to watch you in action, Plachta!

We get to see 500 years of alchemy in action! I can’t wait! Plachta, go ahead!

Thank you. Listen to the desires of the materials, and change their properties. Remember…

Great! Congratulations! Not to mention the high quality…

So this is your skill, Plachta? Uwah, I think I’ve got goosebumps!

Hehe, this takes me back. The feeling of creating something new… That raw thrill! It’s been so long since I last experienced this. Alchemy really is something special, isn’t it?

You’re right! Alchemy is fun!

It’s been 500 years for you too, hasn’t it? That must make it feel even better!

It does. Now I can experience this again whenever I want! I owe Sophie even more gratitude, clearly… She has given me back something very dear to me.

Hehe. You look so happy, Plachta!

I’m glad, too. Please show us what you can do again soon!

Of course. Anytime you like, girls, if that is alright with you. Thank you for today.

Mmm! We can’t wait!

See you again soon!

…It’s been a while since I synthesized anything, but there’s one thing I can’t ignore from this. From the quality of this item, it’s clear that my student surpassed me long ago…

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 27, 2019

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Part L-12: The Meaning of Happiness

I ended the last update on a spoilery scene for Atelier Sophie, and this entire update is going to be following up on that. If that’s something you care about, :siren:then skip this update.:siren:

Everyone else here? Good. Let’s see what’s going on in the tent today…

Sophie! Plachta! Do you want to play cards with us?…

Hold on. It looks like they are having some serious discussion…

Parting Ways

Alright, Plachta. What is it that you want to talk about?

Do you remember, Sophie, the goal that I once set for you?

Of course. To surpass you as an alchemist, Plachta. What about it?

I tried some synthesis recently. It was a success. I made an item without any trouble.

Wow, you did? That’s great, Plachta!

Thank you. However, at the same time, I realized something: you have already well surpassed me.

…What?

Congratulations, Sophie. You have surpassed me as an alchemist. As your friend, your family, and your teacher, I am so happy. You really have worked hard.

…Thank you. All that hard work has paid off… But this doesn’t mean things are going to change, right? We’ll still be student and teacher?

No, we won’t. In this moment, I think something has definitely changed.

…What do you mean?

You’ve been so good to me, Sophie. You’ve done so much for me, all these years. I am so grateful for that… Too grateful for words! But that’s also why I’m worried. Worried about you.

If so, then you’ve done enough. You’ve made me as happy as I can possibly be. For the sake of your own happiness, is it time for us to take different paths?

You know what I mean. Time for you to graduate. We should go our…

Ughhhh…

S-Sophie! I’m not finished yet! …Sophie? Sophie! I’m only thinking of your happiness! That’s why I suggested…

Ah! She’s done it now. I can see why Sophie would be angry, putting it like that…

Me too. Plachta is just too blunt sometimes… And now it’s no fun staying around here anymore. Now there’s this sense of gloom hanging around this tent…

Yeah. Maybe they’ll have worked it out in a few days?

Dunno if it’ll happen that fast, but… it’s worth a gamble.

And so after a few days of synthesizing…

Feelings From The Heart

Uwah! Plachta is super depressed!

Ah, girls! Please help me… Sophie won’t listen to a word I say. I only proposed what I did because I was thinking of Sophie’s future.

Ah, Sophie! We need to finish our conversation…

Hmph!

Hahaha… Sophie doesn’t hold back, does she?

I don’t understand this… I truly don’t! Does Sophie hate me now? Is that it?

Come on! She could never hate you, Plachta!

Of course not! Sophie still loves you a lot, even now! That’s exactly why she’s acting like this. Can’t you see that?

I’m sorry. I just don’t understand… Lydie, Suelle! Please! Tell me the answer! I can’t believe that not being able to talk to Sophie is so difficult!

Uh, I’m really starting to feel sorry for her. But…

I know. We can’t tell her. This is Sophie and Plachta’s problem. …Plachta. You don’t have to worry about anything.

…?

That’s right. You just need to place your hand on your heart and think for yourself.

Those are your true feelings, Plachta.

My… true feelings…?

That’s enough hints from us! You can handle the rest yourself!

We’ll see you later!

What now, Sue?

Plachta will figure it out soon enough. And then she and Sophie will make up. Give it a few more hours…

Sophie’s Secret Mission

As it turns out, I have a favor I need to ask of you…

Sophie, can I…

Hmph!

Ugh… Never mind…

Hahaha, you two are still fighting…?

That was completely Plachta’s fault, after all! She suddenly came out with that! Anyway, putting that aside for a moment… I want you to go and fetch me some soil potatoes.

What, soil potatoes? You’re going to use them for synthesis?

What I’m going to use them for is a secret. Get some really delicious-looking ones, though!

Hahaha, very well. We accept this secret mission, Lady Sophie!

Good. Lydie, Sue! I’m counting on you!

…Hey, Sue. These soil potatoes…

Yeah. I know what she’s going to use them for. In which case…

Of course! We need to get the very highest quality soil potatoes!

Together Forever

Well you heard Lydie, only the best for Sophie! You need Soil Potatoes with upward of 80 quality, which you can find using Special Nutrients in the Dawn Realm.

Uwah, what delicious looking soil potatoes! This will do the trick!

What? You knew what I was planning?

Of course. You’re pretty easy to read, Sophie, in many ways.

Uwah! You’re not the first to say it… Ahem! As you seem to have guessed, I’m going to make Plachta’s favorite soil potato stew. How about you join us? It’ll be even better if we share it with you, too.

That sounds great! I’ll help you make the stew, as well!

I’ll lay the table, then! I’m all about the eating, rather than the making!

Hahaha! It’s the great Make Up Using Delicious Stew Operation! Let’s do this!

Okay! Hehe, I’ll set the table so that Sophie and Plachta are facing each other…

So, Sophie, tell me more about this amazing soil potato stew recipe of yours…

Well, Sophie… It’s time now, isn’t it?

Sophie…?

Hehe. We’ve made some delicious soil potato stew. Care to join us, Plachta?

Yes…! I’d love to!

Hahaha, Plachta sure does love this.

You bet I do. I’ve eaten a lot of different things since I became human… But I can easily state that Sophie’s cooking is the very best!

Hah, that’s very kind of you. I’d better get some of this too, then! Munch, slurp… Oh yes, it’s good!

You see? You see why I can’t stop? Munch… munch… Ugwah!

Uwah, you’re turning blue! Here, drink some water…

Glug… glug… Uwah… thanks… I thought I was done for, and just after becoming human again!

No need to hurry. The food isn’t going anywhere. I can make this stew anytime, as well... So long as you’re willing to stick with me.

Hah… I can’t beat you, can I, Sophie. Very well. I take back everything I said. After all… It would be a shame to go without such delicious food.

That’s your reason? Not being apart from me, but my food?

Hahahaha!

Thank you for the stew! We’ll come again soon!

…Hey, Plachta. That stuff you said, about getting in the way of my happiness? Well… That’s not a thing. Like, not at all.

Sophie…

I met loads of other new people because I met you, Plachta.
I’m so happy, Plachta, because I met you.
You don’t get in the way of my happiness. And you never will! Because… You’re the one who’s made me happy, Plachta.

Until I’m an old granny! Until I die! That’s what would really make me happy. Of course, if that’s OK with you… Plachta, what do you think?

Hehe. When have our feelings never been in alignment?

Ah…!

I also wish to walk the same path as you, Sophie. Those are my true feelings on this matter. …I now have a limited lifespan myself. I don’t know how long we will be together…

I promise the same. That’s my promise to you, Plachta.

“Spirit Fire” received.

Learned Flame of the End recipe.

We picked this up on our way out. It’s gotta have something amazing…

This looks like the Flame of Origin, but even stronger! And we have everything on hand to make it… so why not?

Now, wanna show it to Sophie?

Sure! Even though she could do a much better job making this… Off to the tent! …Oh…?

Aah…

A Life of Happiness

Hahaha, it just feels like I need to take a break, you know? So much has happened…

You’ve been like this for a while. I guess it can’t be helped, things have been crazy.

True. You finally fulfilled one of your longest-held wishes, after all!

I guess that’s true. What are you going to do next, Sophie?

Next…? You know, I haven’t really thought about it. Even after I’ve seen you two rise to the top and run the greatest atelier, I’ll probably stay here for a while. After that, I’ll head back to visit Kirchen Bell. And then, well…

I know what you are planning: to travel around again.

Ah, I know why! To use alchemy to make everyone happy, right?

That’s right! You’re on the ball today, Sue!

Hehe, I’m the same as you! I like to think about how we can bring more happiness to others everyday!

True, but the only ideas you ever come up with are about money!

Ah, because that’s the easiest way! If you have money then you’re happy, I’m sure!

Hahaha, that’s just like you, Sue.

I think you need to dream a bit bigger! Like, how about being surrounded by bears?

Stuffed bears? Because if you mean real ones, that’s a nightmare, not a dream!

Hehe. Free thinking is the way to go. There’s no right answer to this question, anyway.

That’s right. We don’t know the answer, either. We just have to do what we can, and see where it leads us. Lydie, Sue… The road we take may diverge…

Yes!

To do that, you need to study more alchemy. I’ve been myself, recently. Do you want to try the “Alchemy 20 Days Training in Hell” that Ilmeria and I came up with?

In hell…? I-I don’t think I’m ready to go quite that far!

M-Me neither! S-See you later!

Cowards, running away… No matter. Firis, you will participate, correct?

What? …Girls, wait for me!

No running away! Who will be test subject… I mean, course participants now?

Haha… All this energy, and all this laughter. I have so many good friends all around me. Grandma… Are you watching, from on high? I’m still really happy.

…They ran this way… Oh! I believe that’s Luard’s atelier… and he would know very well what I’m feeling right now!

The Ancient Alchemists’ Duty

Yes? What?

Sophie has surpassed me, and become a wonderful alchemist… Yet I’m so happy about it! In the past I pushed myself so hard, not wanting to lose to anyone… Yet now, having my student surpass me makes the happiest I’ve ever been.

Hehe… I understand that myself. Everything I’ve experienced change my thinking, too. It seems so obvious now, doesn’t it? There’s no way that we two could hope to master alchemy. With the passage of time, our alchemy will fade into the past… Progress overtakes us. That’s good! That’s the right thing! That’s how alchemy evolves. As we and our ways become the past, more people are being saved by alchemy everyday. That’s why I’m happy to see us overtaken. If only I’d realized this 500 years ago…

Indeed. Well said. Our role now is to watch over them. To watch over and nurture the youth who will lead the future.

Yes. This will be much harder than just synthesizing stuff! Do you think you can do it?

Hah, I was about to ask you the same thing. Can a softy like you really lead people?

Huh! If you can do it, there’s no way that I can’t! …Anyway, look at us, both back in living bodies. Our methods differed, but we can finally collect on an idea that we forgot 500 years ago.

Later, at the Smithy…

To wield this staff is to master space and time!

Indeed! Can’t say it isn’t fitting for Sophie…

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 6, 2019

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Man, "soil potatoes" is just not a very appetising phrase.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

Man, "soil potatoes" is just not a very appetising phrase.

it's an unfortunate ingredient name, but what matters is Plachta will be lapping it up until the end of time :v:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

This week’s update will have to wait since a job exam on the other side of the state suddenly came up and I have to really prepare, and also 3H is gonna eat the rest of my free time this weekend. Sorry!

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Part L-13: The Last Trials

Hey, Sue. There’s something I was wondering about Termina…

You too, huh? Well then, let’s go and ask her!

The Mysterious Goddess’ Mysterious Painting

This is a world inside of a painting. So do you exist inside it, as a part of that painting?

No. I found a rare painting with a world inside it, so I modified it and now live inside. Heheh… This world is wonderful, isn’t it? Red, dim, soothing…

Ah… So this is all created from your personal taste, Termina?

Hahaha! But what do you mean, modified it? Just who are you, Termina?

That doesn’t matter… I can’t hold it in anymore, anyway! Come on! Entertain me!

Hahaha! Wonderful. That was a great battle. Here’s your reward. Go ahead.

Come again, girls. Do you hear me? Make sure you come again!

Should have figured that Termina would have some primo loot waiting for us… Oh, that reminds me, Lydie! You know who looks a lot like Termina?

Do I… Yeah! What are the odds? Let’s head to the Dawn Realm straight away!

Palmyra’s Request

Yes, we have, but how did you know?

Because you smell like her.

We do? I’ve washed since then, thank you very much!

Hahaha, enough about personal hygiene. How much do you know about who Termina is?

Not much. She’s very powerful, sure, but we don’t know much more than that.

Termina, you see, is like my counterpart. My opposite. I create, and she destroys.

The Goddess of Destruction, then?

Yes. Even though she often doesn’t desire it, she’s just too strong, meaning she breaks things anyway. That’s led her to keep away from people. She really is kind, though, at heart…

So that’s her story…

This might be odd, coming from me, but I hope you’ll both be Termina’s friends. I know she can be obstinate, but she also gets very lonely…

Hehe, sure thing! We can’t turn down a request from a friend!

We like Termina too, after all! Leave it to us, Palmyra!

Thank you! I’ll leave Termina in your hands!

Well then, you heard her… Back to the Domain of Despair!

The Maiden of the End

You can tell just by the smell?

Hah, of course. We are like oil and water. Her stench defiles my nose. Palmyra told you about me, didn’t she?

The Goddess of Destruction, opposing the Goddess of Creation… That’s you, isn’t it, Termina?

That’s right. I am the Goddess of Destruction, She who lays waste to all. No matter how careful I am, and how much I don’t want to, in the end I destroy everything.

Lydie, Sue… Don’t come here again. I don’t want to destroy you.

Lydie is right. You can’t destroy us, Termina.

Enough with your foolishness! I am a goddess! Completely different from you mortals!

No, you’re not! You’re a girl, just like us!

Hehe… And a girl who can feel lonely, too.

If you won’t listen to me, then I’ll show you! Have a taste of my true power!

No, I’m not scared at all. We’ll never be scared of you, Termina.

If we can defeat you, even like this, Termina, will you let us keep on coming to see you?

Defeat me…? Never! You can never do that! Come, then! Let me show you true despair!

Hmm, here’s the game plan… Let’s use the Star Sprinkler, and prepare afterward…

Agh!! …In for a penny, in for a pound, huh?

Let’s go!!

You won’t escape!

Hmph!

…Stand back!!

Gah!!

Guess we’ll have to settle this the old-fashioned way… with a new trick up our sleeves!

Here I go!

Ugh… you win…

We win! We win!

We told you, didn’t we? You can’t destroy us, Termina.

Ah! Uwah! No! No, no, no! I may have lost this time, but eventually, eventually I will…

That’s enough, honestly. Can’t you even trust your friends, Termina?

Friends…? You would call me your friend?

Yes, of course! We’re your friends, Termina! Friends only get closer when they fight. We’re best friends by now, I reckon!

What? You think so?

Friends… I have friends! Hahaha!

S-Shut it! But if you insist, very well. I’ll let you call me your friend. Are you really sure about this, though? I’m the Goddess of Destruction. My power…

Enough! Friends or not, you’re about to make me angry. You don’t have to worry about that stuff!

Friends believe in each other. That means you can believe in us!

We won’t let you suffer like that, ever again. Understand?

Gah…! You’re just humans! How can you say things like that!

…Have you calmed down a little?

Yes. You cowards! Using tear gas on me like that…

What? We didn’t use any item.

S-Shut up! Admit it! In any case, I’ll choose to believe you. You’re my friends, after all. You’d better come and see me again. I’ll be waiting for you.

We’ll be back soon!

Hey, Lydie, you know someone who’d want to hear all about this?

The Maiden of Origin

Yes, that’s right. You hear things quickly, don’t you?

That’s the power of the divine! …I’m joking, actually. She came to see me. She was really happy, boasting about making some friends!

Hahaha, great! I’m glad to hear it.

It’s good, isn’t it? Thank you so much for your kindness to Termina! I don’t know if you’ll consider this a reward, but I’ll show you my own true power if you like?

Hold on!

A thousand times the strength, a thousand times the magic! Now the fun can really start!

H-H-Hold on! No need for that, Palmyra! No need to do that on our account, you can just turn back!

Oh, it’s no trouble! Let’s fight!

H-Hold it! Time out! Time…

Hahahaha! Defeat me if you can!

Hyaaaah!

Alright! That should buy us enough time for…

That was fun! Thanks for playing with me! Here’s a token of my thanks… Haaaaaaaaaah! Hah!

Right, I’m going to nap for a while… Please do come again.

You know what, I’m also pretty tired…

Me too. Let’s catch some shut eye, soon as we get home…
So that’s Palmyra and Termina’s deal. You can keep rematching them and they’ll be 10 levels higher each time, capping at level 200. Each time you beat them, they’ll give you increasingly broken traits that you can’t get otherwise. But moving on…

Vacation 2: Vacation Harder!

Come on… Just two more hours…

No can do. Wake up! We’re going to have some fun today!

Fun…? Like what…?

Hahah! I’m calling this “Vacation 2: The Revenge!” Come on, hurry up! Vacation time!

Hey, hold on! Uwah, sounds like we don’t have a choice… Sue, let’s just go with her.

Not even one more hour…?

Kyaah! That was sneaky! Payback!

Puwah! Hahaha, Lucia! Was that a declaration of war?

What? No, that was an accident! Just an accident!

Too late for that! Take this, and this, and this!

Uwah, hold on, you’re too strong! Sophie, that’s some crazy water pressure you’ve got going on there!

Hahaha, more allies! Get her, Sophie! Fugwaaah!

Naive. As naive as a kitten, little Sue! Drop your guard in battle and you’re finished!

That’s actually great advice. Maybe you should listen to it yourself? Haha, now Sue! Take her down!

Leave it to me! Lucia! Firis! Prepare yourselves!

I. Will. Not. Lose! Victory will be mine!

Never! As your teacher, it’s time to school you again!

Ah! A little vacation, a stiff drink! This is the life! Hic… That other vacation wasn’t a vacation at all, so I invited them all back again. Looks like they’re enjoying themselves, too! Aah, that’s so good! Glug, glug, glug… This wine is delicious! Vacations are the best! Hahaha!

Psst, Lydie… Firis and Sophie seemed to want something else from us after that vacation. Let’s drop into the tent!

Alchemist of the Mysterious Journey

Uwah, I lost? I’ll win next time, you’ll see!

Sure you will. Anyway, I’m Sophie wants the same of us…

Alchemist of the Mysterious Book

Music: Beyond Wisdom (Atelier Firis)

Now, then… burn!!

Kyaah!!

Stand-

Gah!!

Ah, I’ll need some of this…

Now then, time for some revenge!

That’ll buy-

What the…?!

Guess I’m up!

Oooh…

Nngh…

How can an Ori…

Lydie?!

Can you handle this… my apotheosis?

Uwah!!

Agh…

Okay, looks like I win. I’m happy to accept a rematch anytime you like!

Well uh, that’s gonna leave a mark! Here’s the Sophie fight on my postgame file, but with totally optimized traits and level 100 party members…

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

I might have to skip doing an update this week too, since I have an interview on the other side of the state lined up; stay tuned!

v thanks! I'll still try and knock out the next update if I have the time

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Aug 13, 2019

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Good luck!

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Part L-14: A New Way Forward

The Twins’ Final Stretch

No, I haven’t. I’ve checked it multiple times. I’m sure! This means we can finally take the S Rank exam! We’ve made it, Lydie!

Phew. It took long enough! One difficult task after another.

Yeah, you said it. But each difficulty has only made us stronger! Let’s take all that momentum and pass the S Rank exam!

Yes! To Mireille, at once!

You’ve got the rep and you’ve got the skills. I’m ready to let you take the S Rank exam. Are you ready for the challenge of becoming the greatest atelier in the kingdom?

Yes!

Bring it on!

Very well. This is the last time we’ll be going through this together, isn’t it…! Ah, sorry, no time to get emotional. This is just work! I have to see it through. In which case, here we go! These are the S Rank exam conditions!

What? We can just make whatever we want?

Yes, that’s right. You can bring me anything, just so long as it’s the best possible quality. I want to see the culmination of everything you can do. All your skill and heart poured into a single item.

Understood! That’s what we’ll bring you! We’ll apply everything we’ve learned so far to achieve this!

Hehe, good! This is your final challenge, twins. Do your very best.

We will! Now, Sue, home, to brainstorm…

Some very busy days later…

The Twins’ Goals

Of course we are. We’re also just really busy at the moment.

That’s a good thing, but what brought this on?

We want to become the greatest atelier in the kingdom, after all… And after that we’re aiming to become alchemists who can help everyone!

So we need to hone our alchemy as much as we can… We want Mom to see us make it, before she vanishes completely…

Ah!

Hey, I know! A game! Let’s play a game, Firis! Yes?

Sure thing! I’m not going to lose to you, either!

Afterwards…

Not at all. We enjoyed it too. Come again anytime!

Thanks! One thing, though. Don’t push yourselves too hard!

There she… Huh… I don’t think we’re pushing ourselves too hard. Maybe that’s what it looks like from the outside.

Yeah. I just really don’t want to lose Mom again.

Phew. I think we should take a break tonight, though.

Not a bad idea. Good night, Sue.

Yawn… Our best, our very best… I can’t think of that special something that’ll really show off our very best!

Me neither! Hmm… Maybe we should visit Teach for her input?

Sure, why not? Let’s go!

Sophie’s Scheme

…That’s my thinking on it. This is what I want to make. There isn’t much time left, though, so I’d like to ask for your help. What do you think?

You can count me in. I’m happy to try and help them.

Thanks! Let’s start by thinking of some recipes.

Ah! I’ll see you later, Ilmeria, anyway!

…She said “ah”, didn’t she. Sophie just said “ah”. And bolted as soon as we made our presence known… That’s suspicious!

Hey, don’t read too much into things. Sophie’s an adult, she has her own stuff to deal with.

Is that all it is? I guess we’ll let it slide, for now.

…And now we’re not getting another word out of Ilmeria. Who next… should we move on to Alt’s place?

Let’s! We can’t go wrong asking him about all this!

Haha, I can’t beat you, I know. I’ll help! I want to protect their future, too, you know.

Hahaha, excellent. Thanks for this, Alt.

Hello, girls. Have you ever heard of knocking?

Ah, sorry. The door was ajar, so…

Then someone should have closed it properly. I should have noticed that, too, though.

Hahaha, sorry!

Enough about doors! What’s going on between you two?

…Excuse me?

Ooh, this is like a romance comic! I sense a mature and thrilling development ahead!

…Now. While these silly sisters are lost in their own little world. Run for it!

Okay! See you later!

Ah! The love between two a few years apart… It’s so moving! I’m so moved!

Is it wrong? No! But is it right? The beauty of love, to overcome all barriers between them!

Man, how am I going to snap them out of this…? You owe me big time for this one, Sophie! …Ahem! Girls! They’re planning something big at the tent… You don’t want to miss out, do you? Off you go now!

Miss Sophie! About our little plan, look at this.

Hmm, it looks like it’s going well. How about you, Plachta?

I’m making good progress too. Being able to synthesize for myself helps too.

Good. At this rate, then…

At this rate? What?

Hello! Go on, what were you talking about?

Ah, at this rate, we’ll be able to make a giant Puni Jelly!

T-That’s right! Puni Jelly bigger than this atelier! I can hardly wait!

…Ahem. They are joking. We’re making plans to expand this atelier. Having gathered materials from so many places, we’re running out of space!

That’s all? I thought for sure you were planning something more than that. Something crafty!

C-Crafty? Sue, you’re getting carried away again.

…Thanks, Plachta. You saved us.

Okay…

Let’s go home, Sue!

Yes, definitely. I don’t think it’s anything bad, but I’d still like to know what it is!

Me too. I guess we just have to ask her…

Hahaha, sorry girls. I’m not very good at this kind of thing.

Sophie! Firis! What are you doing here?

Well, just like you said, we’ve been planning something…

That’s right. Now that we’ve made some progress, we’ve come to see you about it. Before that, though, we want to ask your feelings. To make sure we’re doing the right thing. …Tell me, girls. You don’t want to say goodbye to Honnete, do you?

Tell us what you are really feeling. That’s what we need to know.

What do you think?!

I know. Sorry for even asking. After my grandma died… I was alone, until I met Plachta. I know what it’s like to lose your family. You’ve just been reunited with her, too. You don’t want to lose her again now! That’s just too cruel…

There’s nothing we can do, though. She’s vanishing, and that’s just the way it is.

So we wanted to show her the best we can do, before that happens. Our best possible alchemy.

That’s very impressive, girls. You’re working hard, positively, toward something. In which case, feel like working just a bit harder?

Excuse me?

Have you ever felt that alchemy just seems like a dream? I remember what it was like for me in Ertona, for all those years before I met Miss Sophie… I thought I would never get to leave my home, but here I am now, traveling the world thanks to alchemy. Alchemy is the power of dreams, making the impossible possible. That’s what I believe.

Alchemy has the power to make everyone happy, too. It can make everyone in the world happy!

Recipe of Hope received.

It’s a recipe? For the “Pastels of Unity”?

Yes. This item should be able to secure Honnete in this world. If you use these pastels, she won’t have to disappear.

Making them will be incredibly hard, but still… Do you want to give it a try?

Yes! “Don’t give up before you even try!” Why had we just given up? Why had we just resigned ourselves to a tragic fate?

We’ve already seen alchemy overcome so much firsthand! …Sophie! Firis! Please, let us make this item!

No matter how hard it may be, we will do it!

Hehe, I know you so well now. I knew that’s what you’d say.

Right then! Let the mission “Stop Honnete from Vanishing” start at once!

Yes!

First, you need all the materials. And those materials have to be made, too! This will be tough!

We have Plachta, Alt and Ilmeria working on recipes for the items that will serve as the materials.

Miss Sophie and I are working on the main recipe, but we need a little more time. Will you go and see the others first, please? We’ll finish this while you do that!

This mission will be a success! We’ll see you soon!

…Wow. Those two are something else. They knew exactly how we were feeling.

Yeah. They even made us this recipe. Do you think we can be like them, someday?

I don’t know, but we can try! Which means, right now…

We need to make the Pastels of Unity! Come on then, let’s do this!

Learned Pastels of Unity recipe.

Sue, this recipe is for…

I know, but still… you can’t make me enjoy reading…

So we’ll need these four materials to synthesize the Pastels of Unity.

And Ilmeria, Alt and Plachta are working the recipes for three of them… let’s see them at once!

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 24, 2019

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Part L-15: Alchemy of Happiness

There’s gonna be a fair few spoilers for the previous games interspersed throughout this update, but they’re few enough in number and this update is too critical to skip over for me to ask anyone to skip it in its entirety, so I’ll be black barring those. Now let’s check in with Il…

Recipes of Gratitude and Good Wishes

Hmph!

What? What’s wrong?

If you had a problem, why didn’t you come to see me? I’m your mentor! I don’t think I have any recipes to share with students who won’t come to see me.

W-What?! We’re sorry! We’d pretty much given up, you see…

Hehe, I’m just joking. Although I do wish you had come to see me. I know you were struggling with it, though, and it was hard for you to talk about.

Ilmeria’s Recipe received.

This is your recipe for us. Gulp! It looks pretty tough!

Oh yes, it’s very difficult! What do you think? Shall I make it for you?

No, let us do it. It’s our mom on the line… It’ll be meaningless if we aren’t the ones to it.

Heheh, that’s the way. That’s my students. Off you go, then. Go get started. Once you’re done, come and show it to me. I’ll check to make sure you got it right. Don’t hold anything back for this one!

Alright! That’s one of three! Now, let’s pick up Alt’s recipe next…

Alt!

Alt’s Recipe received.

Uwah! Your handwriting sucks, Alt!

Yeah… But I think we can handle it. Barely, but I can make it out.

Sorry about that. My handwriting has always been like that, for the longest time… Ahem. Anyway, we’ve been through a lot, but I’m grateful to you. I’ve managed to part ways with my past self and restore bonds of friendship, thanks to you. This recipe is packed with all my gratitude to you.

Alt!

You’ll face all kinds of challenges in life, like it or not. But, from personal experience, I can say that none of these challenges are impossible. The most important thing is to try, Set your goal and advance towards it. I believe you can do that. You do too, right?

Of course!

Once you’ve made the item, come and show it to me. I’ll check to make sure it’s good enough. Now, go. Show me what you can do, one more time.

We will!

But first, we’ve one last recipe to fetch…

Ah, I’ve been waiting for you. The recipe you need is already finished.

Plachta’s Recipe received.

Of course it is. You are trying to create something beyond normal comprehension… to ascend a divine realm, into which no normal alchemist would dare tread. But I’m sure you can do this. You can make the impossible.

I agree, actually. I really think we can, too.

Yes. Alchemy exists to make people happy. My feelings have not changed in 500 years. This recipe has been created out of gratitude and best wishes for you both. I believe it is the key to your happiness. So… take it.

Thank you. Thank you for all of that, Plachta.

Once you complete it, will you bring it to show me? I’m counting on you both.

Alright, then. Let’s get to it!

So Plachta, Ilmeria and Alt gave us the recipes for the Glittering Pneuma, Relentless Flame and Teardrops of Harmony, respectively…

Yeah, yeah, that’s all I needed to hear. Now let’s start synthesizing!

Let’s start with the Glittering Pneuma. We’ll need a Dunkelheit, some Ashes of Origin, some Rainbow Neutralizer, and some Gas.

At this stage of the game, we should be able to get the most out of our materials’ traits and components, no matter what catalyst we use… and we have plenty of Philosopher’s Stones in storage!

Super high-quality, super good components, and super high-end traits to boot!

Looks like we’ll need an enhancer to really get all the components we need, though…

There we go! Now, let’s do this!

It looks perfect… but we’ll have to check in with Plachta later to make sure.

Yeah. Better safe than sorry with these materials. Now, for the Relentless Flame…

This one only requires three materials. Though that’ll make it harder for us to bring out its full components…

The reactive spots the Philosopher’s Stones generated should let us easily get enough of the red in here, but again, looks like we’ll need an enhancer for the purple…

There! Now we have enough purple to go around!

Perfect! Now the last of these three recipes is the Teardrops of Harmony…

Hate to say that we don’t have any good Holy Water, but the rest of our ingredients should be more than good enough to make up for it.

Still though, this one’s gonna be a stretch…

But it’s nothing we can’t handle!

We’ll need some shuteye before showing these to Ilmeria, Alt and Plachta…

Sure thing. But first things first…

See you… in the morning…

Upon waking up…

Good work. Yes, this looks perfect. You’ve really upped your game, girls! A recipe made by a super alchemist, completed by her super students! This is one super item. So go ahead and keep this up!

Don’t worry. We’re going to be happy, you’ll see!

Ilmeria, thank you! We’ll see you again soon!

You’ve got this. I’m so proud of you, my students!

Next up, Alt!

More than enough. Well done, girls.

It was really hard! Your handwriting is barely better than scribble!

Ahem. I told you to get over that. I’ve tried to improve it but it just won’t take… Enough about that, anyway. This will be enough to act as a material for the item in question. Now just carry on toward your goal. That’s what you’re best at! Good luck, girls.

Hehe, thanks! We’ll show you just how we will reach our goal!

Alt, thank you so much!

…I guess I’ve mellowed a bit in my old age. I never would have expected this from myself not too long ago… But I guess this isn’t so bad. Right, Plachta?

You have? Then let me take a look. Hmm… I see no problems with this. You really have improved so much, girls.

Hahaha! I guess we’ve really made it, when Plachta praises us like that!

I know! I’m not sure we can get any higher than this!

Hmph. If you keep being this weird, I will take back my praise. Now, off you go. You still have something left to do, right?

Ah, of course! Sorry, we got a bit too carried away!

Hehe… You’re right about one thing. After being praised by me, there’s nothing you can’t do. Keep up the good work. I’m always in your corner, Lydie, Suelle.

Thank you, Plachta!

Hmm… looks like Sophie isn’t done yet, so let’s go back home and think about what to do…

Meanwhile, at the twins’ atelier…

Recipes from the Heart

Ah! I never would have thought of that… Now this is getting me fired up!

What are you doing, Dad? It looks like the two of you are having quite a lot of fun.

I heard the rumors, but the real deal is even more impressive. This was a lot of fun, Firis.

Not at all, I enjoyed it too! All of your ideas have given me a lot to work with.

Is this the budding of a friendship I see?

So, Firis. I take it you came to our atelier to see us?

Firis’ Recipe received.

The recipe for your material for the Pastels of Unity?

Not quite. Mine isn’t a material, but a cauldron.

…What? A cauldron? Like an alchemy cauldron?

Yep. There are all kinds of alchemy cauldrons, and you need a good one for difficult alchemy. So I’m giving you this recipe for a new cauldron. Do you think you can make it?

We’ll give it a try… Can you use an alchemy cauldron to make an alchemy cauldron, though?

Of course you can! What’s wrong with that?

It feels completely wrong to me, but trying to apply logic to alchemy will only lead down a dark path! Very well! We’ll give it a try!

That’s the way. Alchemy makes dreams come true. Make a wish, and it will happen for you! Don’t give up until the end, girls! You can do it!

So this is the recipe Firis gave us. Still though…

Of everything we’ve synthesized, this feels the… No, it’s too late to turn back!

For this, it looks like all we need is to hit the Philosopher’s Stones’ spot for effect level increases.

Well, then… let’s do this!

Hahaha! We made an alchemy cauldron using an alchemy cauldron!

I didn’t notice as we worked, but this doesn’t fit inside the original cauldron, does it?

You’re right. So how did we… no, like I said. Let’s not start down that dark path…

Hahaha, well, we did it so I guess that’s all that matters! Let’s go and let Firis know!

Good idea. Sophie might have finished her recipe too. Still… That cauldron definitely doesn’t fit inside the cauldron that made it…

Hey, stop that! You can’t let that get in your head! Come on, Lydie!

Really? Great work. Did it all work out?

We gave it a try, and you know what? It worked!

Good, good. This looks perfect! So all you need now…

Is this recipe for the final material. Now you’re one step away from the Pastels of Unity.

Ah, Sophie! You’ve finished the recipe?

Yes. Sorry it took so long. I tried to avoid having to use too many rare items.

Sophie’s Recipe received.

Yes. I once moved Plachta’s soul into a doll, and I adjusted that recipe for this. To put it simply, it brings the effect of a needle indicating direction of an existence to the Pastels of Unity… It isn’t really needed for the synthesis, but it’s what binds the Pastels of Unity together.

Gulp! What binds them together? So if we botch this…

Hey. Don’t think about failing before you even start.

Don’t worry. I know you two can do it! Be confident!

Thank you! Once we’ve made it, though, could you still check it for us? Just to make sure…

Hahaha, of course. We’ll be supporting you, girls!

The Samsara Compass… we’re almost there, Lydie!

We’ll have to make full use of our catalysts and enhancers to get this right.

There we go! Now…

To Sophie!

And make sure you check in with Sophie, even though you can technically synthesize the Pastels of Unity right now! The game might bug out otherwise, from what I read.

Hehe, well done, Lydie and Sue. That went even faster than I expected. Good… This will work as the centerpiece to the Pastels of Unity!

Yes! If you say so, we know it’s true, Sophie!

Great! In which case…

Yes, this is the final stage of the mission! Now you just need to synthesize the Pastels of Unity!

Once we have the pastels, we can save Mom…!

You said it! We have to make this succeed, for Mom’s sake!

You’ve both worked so hard… Never backing down, no matter what. I bet the god of alchemy is smiling down on you both! Girls… Good luck making the pastels!

Thank you!

Now, for the moment of truth…

This’ll work out perfectly, with all these incredible materials and components!

Okay, Lydie! It’s do or die!

Let’s do this! Full speed ahead!

We’ve done it…! The Pastels of Unity…! We’ve really done it. This isn’t a dream, right?

Y-Yeah… I’m sure it isn’t a dream, at least.

I’m not hearing much confidence! If you think you’ve done it, stand by your work!

Ah, everyone! That’s pretty good timing?

Ah! You’ve been watching over us, out of worry, haven’t you?

Hah, as if. We don’t have that kind of free time!

Actually, Roger let us know that you were about to complete the synthesis.

You made the materials from our recipes, after all. So we all came to see how the final item turned out… Although it doesn’t look like you need any help.

Which means? These Pastels of Unity…

Yes. They are pretty much perfect. Congratulations!

Yes…! We did it, we really did it!

This is so good. I’m so glad… So glad…!

Hahaha, I think it’s just the tension breaking. This has been a difficult time!

Good. Let’s wait until they calm down… Well done, both of you.

Yes, we’re fine. Sorry about that.

As soon as I realized we’d done it, I just couldn’t stop crying!

Hehe, no need to worry about it. If you feel like crying, you should cry all you like.

That’s right! Every time I met Miss Sophie in the past, I'd cry like a baby!

I think you cried a little too much, to be honest! You were crying all the time!

Hey! It wasn’t that bad. Just sometimes… I only cried sometimes!

Hahaha! Thank you, all of you. We made this item, thanks to you. Now Mom doesn’t have to vanish, thanks to you!

Me too! Let me thank you all, too!

Think nothing of it. You’re the ones who made that item. It is the manifestation of your strongest, most heartfelt hopes and dreams. …It’s time to leave, anyway. I’ve done what I came here to do, and seen the pastels completed.

Me too. I’m so proud of you both, my students! You never backed down, no matter how hard it got… and now, you’ve earned the ultimate reward! And with that… Bye-bye!

Great work, Lydie, Sue! To have synthesized an item like this… You are top level alchemists now!

But you can always aim higher! Never give up on improving yourselves! We can expect even greater, more wonderful things from you in the future—I’m sure of it! See you later!

Right… What do you think, Sue? Shall we go and use the Pastels of Unity right away?

Hmm, I’ve been thinking… How about we do that after we reach S Rank? To commemorate becoming the greatest atelier, as a gift to Mom! What do you think?

That sounds lovely. We need to keep them safe until then.

Haha, good point. We wouldn’t want to lose them before we get to hand them over! Right then… Time to focus on raising our rank!

Here we come!

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Hahaha! We made an alchemy cauldron using an alchemy cauldron!

I didn’t notice as we worked, but this doesn’t fit inside the original cauldron, does it?

You’re right. So how did we… no, like I said. Let’s not start down that dark path…

Hahaha, well, we did it so I guess that’s all that matters! Let’s go and let Firis know!

Good idea. Sophie might have finished her recipe too. Still… That cauldron definitely doesn’t fit inside the cauldron that made it…

Hey, stop that! You can’t let that get in your head! Come on, Lydie!

How I think this works: In the first few seconds after the cauldron is synthesized, it's flexible, but hardens shortly after. So you need to remove it from the cauldron where it was synthesized very quickly.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

TheDavies posted:

How I think this works: In the first few seconds after the cauldron is synthesized, it's flexible, but hardens shortly after. So you need to remove it from the cauldron where it was synthesized very quickly.

I guess it checks out enough, what with the magic metals used to make the cauldron? Firis made this exact same cauldron in her game (and heck, it's the one all the alchemists in her tent use in this game). Sky's the limit for the twins now anyway, up to and including basically necromancy :v:

v oh huh, there we go!

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Aug 25, 2019

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Creating something bigger than the mixing container is something boring old chemistry can do too. It's not particularly logic defying.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOedJgqTT9E

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
You could create the pieces and assemble them outside the vessel, but "applying logic to this leads to nothing but darkness."

Speaking of which, in any other game, forcing a disembodied spirit of a dead person to stick around for another life-time, usually leads to a horrible tragedy or cursed existence for the spirit and/or medium, but I'm sure that this game will probably break my expectations and everything will work out wonderfully.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

mastersord posted:

You could create the pieces and assemble them outside the vessel, but "applying logic to this leads to nothing but darkness."

Speaking of which, in any other game, forcing a disembodied spirit of a dead person to stick around for another life-time, usually leads to a horrible tragedy or cursed existence for the spirit and/or medium, but I'm sure that this game will probably break my expectations and everything will work out wonderfully.

Eh with Honnete (and Neige) it's explained that their souls have been hanging around in their respective paintings for years after they died in the outside world, and even though Honnete's spirit was set to fade in short order, it was due to something Roger didn't do totally correctly while painting the Heavenly Flower Garden.

It's not like with, say, FMA, where Izumi and the Elric brothers got horribly hosed up because the souls of their loved ones had long since passed on; here, Honnete's soul is still around (and the twins can even hit her up to have pancakes), but the twins are giving the soul a solid body to stabilize her existence.

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Aug 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

mastersord posted:

Plachta. She went from disembodied spirit bound to a book, to spirit bound to a doll, to human.
The series as a whole follows the conceit that as long as the alchemist knows what she's doing side-effects can be accounted for and neutralized. Souls are to be handled with care of course and soul manipulating crafts are high-tier alchemy but it's still a problem solved by the almighty cauldron.

Atelier alchemists don't play God. Playing would imply that they don't take their craft seriously.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Aug 26, 2019