Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Those are some interesting properties on that ash. I wonder what they do when it's a... potion? Bomb? Potion bomb? Pack of cards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Glazius posted:

Those are some interesting properties on that ash. I wonder what they do when it's a... potion? Bomb? Potion bomb? Pack of cards?

Components matter if you’re trying to hit a color threshold in whatever you use the ashes in

As for traits, they can or cannot be transferred depending on the final product; consult the alchemy tutorial for more

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Part 9-3: Growth in Adversity

Sue, Sue! I’ve found something really great!

Starts and Shelter

I know! Remember how much Mom praised us when we made this?

I know. It’s not much to look at anymore, but it’s got some great memories attached.

Alt? What’s going on?

My atelier has been taken over by women. I’m sorry, but can I hide here for a while?

Huh. It must be nice, being so popular. I’m so jealous.

That’s great, thank you. …What’s that barely-holding together item, by the way?

Ah, this… It’s the first item we ever made using alchemy.

I see. That’s why it’s so poorly made?

What was the first thing you made, Alt? I bet it was perfect, of course, even your very first time.

The first thing I made? …I don’t remember.

That’s a lie! That was definitely a lie!

No, it’s true. Forget that, anyway. Do you really think your abilities have grown?

What? What do you mean by that?

Exactly what I said. Do you think you’ve improved since the time you made this item?

Gah! He’s really mocking us now, Lydie!

I know! Don’t underestimate us, Alt! We’re getting better and better with every day that passes!

Are you now… Then prove it. Make this item again, and show it to me. From how it turns out, I’ll let you know exactly how much you’ve progressed.

You’re on! We’re not going to lose to a womanizer like you, Alt!

I’m not a womanizer. …Ahem. I’ll be looking forward to the results of your efforts. Goodbye.

Right! When I think that Alt has been drooling over all these women as well… gah!

Hey, Alt! Didn’t you just go home?

I completely forgot why I came. I asked you to hide me, didn’t I? So, can I stay here a little longer?

Hahaha… Sure, make yourself at home.

Now that he’s gone… let’s get started! This synthesis should be easy peasy for us, and we’ve got primo ingredients to boot!

A Begrudging Admission

Right! Ingredients, ingredients… Sue. Will you pass me that material there?

Yes. But hold on, shouldn’t you put that in first? I thought this would be better…

That will make the ingredients settle. This one will help make it more uniform.

Ah, I see. So putting that in first sounds better!

Hmm…

Yes, finished! I think this worked out pretty well.

Yep, it looks great. Next on the list…

Hmmm…

What’s up, Lucia? You’ve been mumbling to yourself over there. Do you have stomach pains?

No, it’s just… I’m impressed by how good you’ve become at synthesizing. To be honest, you’re as good as I am, if not better.

It’s not like you to give such honest praise, Lucia. Maybe it will rain Puni tomorrow!

It’s not like I want to admit it, but I can hardly deny the skills you are showing me, either. This doesn’t mean I’m giving up, though! I’m going to train harder and catch back up, you’ll see!

Try all you want, Lucia. Just don’t underestimate us!

Speaking of alchemists underestimating us… this’ll learn Alt to never count us out!

Alchemy All-Consuming

The Uni Bag has to have upwards of 60 quality.

What do you think, Alt? Is this proof enough of how much we’ve grown?

Yes, you’ve definitely made some strides. At amazing speed, as well. Very impressive.

Wow, that’s high praise from you, Alt! I guess we really do have some skills!

Yeah, we just might! We’ve become better alchemists in a very short span of time, after all!

Haha, this alchemy gig is easy! We’ll be amazing alchemists in no time, at this rate!

Hold your horses. I think you’re getting a bit carried away.

Eh?

You’ve grown, I admit that. But overconfidence in your abilities isn’t a good thing. Alchemy is far more dangerous than you assume. It’s a power that can swallow you whole!

Alt…?

Ah, no matter. That’s no concern of yours. In any case, keep your confidence in check. I don’t want your rare and special talents to wither before they can bloom.

Uwah… You’re right, Alt. Thank you for the warning.

We got totally carried away for a moment there. Sorry about that.

That’s good, girls. …Allow me to reward you.

Of course. You responded to my challenge, so you deserve to be rewarded. …I’m expecting great things from you. Don’t let me down.

Alt! We’ll do our best to meet your expectations!

Large Egg and Big Beast Bone received.

Alt has acquired the skill “Secret Justice”.

Secret Justice - Increase Follow-up Skill damage.

Let’s go gathering, Lydie! Somewhere out in the countryside!

Of course! First, to the city gates…

Alchemist, Archer, and Archaeologist

La la la! I found some buried treasure!

Firis! Are you back from a trip somewhere?

No, not quite. I was investigating some ruins nearby.

Investigating ruins! You’re pulling our legs. You’re no archaeologist!

I’m serious! Here, as proof, I found this rare item!

Wow, what is that? A fragment of something?

I reckon it’s a piece of a weapon, from maybe 200 years ago. There’s markings on it here.

That’s rude! I’m an alchemist! Someone I used to travel with just taught me some things about history. So I got attracted to it too. Sometimes I even go to investigate ruins now!

Wow. Maybe it would be faster if we just asked you what you can’t do?

Hahaha, this is just me taking after someone else, really. Here, you can have this for your alchemy.

Golden Tree Leaf and Golden Threads received.

Don’t worry. I found it nearby, so I don’t think it’s cursed much…

That’s not really what I was asking, but alright… If it was just nearby, it should be okay.

Right, you two, see you later! I’m off to make something exciting!

Hahaha, Sue, we can’t worry about that. Right?

My Sister’s Bow - Increase Follow-up Skill damage.

Uwah… Actually, you know what, let’s go gathering in the paintings! I changed my mind!

What? Ah, if you say so. Hey, let’s drop by Ilmeria’s first, since we’ll be passing by anyway!

Teach! …Oh? What’s this?

Hehehe…

From Teacher to Teacher

Yes, actually. I got a letter from my parents. Do you want to take a look?

Yes please! Is it alright? Let’s have a look here… “Dearest Ilmeria. Thank you for sending the staff. I’m happy to see that you’ve improved again. Your mother is very proud, too.”

“As your teacher, as well as your father, I’m happy to see your growth. It can’t be easy living in another country, but stay happy and do your best!” …Hehe, what a lovely letter. I can see why you’re so pleased!

I know! I think recently, I’ve started to understand how my father feels, too, when he talks about being happy to see his student grow.

Ilmeria…!

Girls, I want you to continue working hard, in order to keep making me even happier! I’m not going to let you stay bottom-tier alchemists forever, do you understand?

Hahaha, leave it to us! We’ll grow up so much that you won’t be able to stop smiling!

That’s right! You just keep on watching us!

Oh, I will. I’m going to watch every little thing that you do, trust me!

Hahaha! I bet you could do that, too, couldn’t you… That’s kind of scary!

Hehe. I really am looking forward to it.

Ilmeria has acquired the skill “Bursting with Pride”.

Bursting with Pride - Increase maximum MP.

So… want to keep watch over us while we go gathering in the paintings?

Do I… You go on ahead! I have to get ready.

Will do. Anyway, Sue, off to the castle!

…Alright! This way to the gallery…

Ah, girls! A moment?

Mireille? Is something the matter?

Making a Man of Mathias

Hmm. I mean, that’s not an easy question to answer… He’s not a bad person, but a bit flaky?

Hahaha, I see where you are coming from… He’s funny, though, so I like him.

Funny and flaky? It sounds like you think he’s a pretty poor example of a man?

I do! A poor example!

You don’t hold back, do you… Although I guess he isn’t all that reliable… At his core, though, Mathias is a serious fellow. He’s always thinking about our kingdom first. But he’s also a bit of a coward, a trait not easily explained away… I don’t know how it happened.

There is that side to him… I wonder if there’s any way to remedy it?

A remedy? Hmm, you know what, I’ve got an idea. I think I’ll need your help with it, though.

What? Our help? To do what?

Maybe not. That smile is telling me there’s nothing to look forward to for us!

Hahaha! We’d better be ready for anything!

Lydie! Sue!

Ah, Teach!

Ahem… see you later, Mireille!

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Apr 5, 2019

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Part 9-4: Trials and Tasks

Gratitude

No problem. Please come again anytime.

:corsair: I’ll be sure to! Have a wonderful day.

Hehe… hahaha!

Hahahaha!

Hah! You got a problem? We’re laughing in our own atelier, that’s all!

No. Well… it’s suspicious. Why do you laugh every time you finish a job?

Because she said “Thank you”.

What? What’s that got to do with anything?

Doing a job and being told “Thank you” makes you happy, right?

You understand, Lucia, don’t you? How people’s gratitude makes you feel warm and fuzzy?

I guess I understand that… I do like making customers happy. But I still think I should warn you: you looked really, really suspicious laughing like that! If customers saw you doing that, I think it would even scare them off!

W-Was it that creepy? We’d better take care, then.

Yeah. We wouldn’t want to lose customers over something like that!

Okay then! Next up…

The Twins Royalty(?)

Uwaaah! That’s going too far! Sis!

Ah. A sense of deja vu.

Hi.

It’s just like last time! Even that business-like smile!

Oh dear, you heard us again? Maybe I should try to keep my voice down? …Anyway, a topic for another time. I’ve got another request for you.

Yes? What is it this time?

Ready for this? We want you to take the Royal Trial.

What! Are you serious, Sis?

Yes, of course.

The Royal Trial? That’s quite the name. Just what does it involve?

It’s the trial to become the ruler of this country. Those who pass it earn the right to rule!

If we can complete it, we might become royalty!

That’s fine. The two of you will make much better rulers than pathetic Mathias here!

Gah!

OK, twins. Once you’re ready, head to the place of testing! Mathias knows where it is. Have him show you.

What? I have to do that, too?

Of course you do. No complaints, from any of you!

Uwah, she’s a real tyrant!

Psst… Girls, a word?

Mireille…?

Will you please just play along?

You’ve clearly got something in mind. In which case, we’ll do all we can to help! Mathias! We’re ready!

The testing ground is at the Spring-green Odahlia. Right off the Path of Resolution.

The Path of Resolution, huh? I never noticed anything looking like a testing ground there.

Just cross that bridge up ahead, and keep going.

OK. There’s a rock in the way, though. What do we do?

Ah, I know what this is! When someone of royal blood comes close, the rock will shatter!

Sounds a bit optimistic. …Here you go!

Shovels? …Oh, don’t tell me…

Haah… haah… Finally finished. I can’t believe we had to move it by hand.

This sucks! I was hoping for more from something called the Royal Trial!

Come on, girls. The royal family aren’t magicians! Now we can reach the place of trials, anyway. Off you go, girls! Good luck!

Uwah, I just want to punch him in his perfect teeth! What’s this trial all about, then?

I don’t know. We’d better be ready for anything. So… that courtyard up ahead. This is the place of trials?

Yes. A sacred place, where you will be tested to see if you are worthy to rule.

Hahaha, who do you think you’re talking to? I finished all that work in a flash! After all… There’s no trial without me here! You don’t even remember the rites, do you?

Right! There was some stuff we have to say!

I knew it. I’m going to call forth the guardian of the trial. Ahem… Solitary protector of our lands since ancient times! See now if these before you are worthy!

Uwah, something has shown up! This is the guardian of the trial?

Great… I’m going to feel silly for asking this, but what exactly do we have to do?

Fight! Win! That’s all!

This doesn’t feel especially royal to me! You just have to beat a boss to be king?

Good luck. I’m behind you all the way.

Gah! You’ll pay for this!

It’s just us two against this hunk of metal, huh?

Eat this!

Yowch!

Sue! Use a Lightning Crystal to keep it at bay!

Right, Lydie! Now, for the formalities…

Haah… haah… we did it. We won!

Great work, Lydie! A victory of working together! Yes!

Tell me about it! This is their potential?

Ah, anyway. Ahem. Congratulations, both of you! You’ve earned the right to take the throne! …Although, this wasn’t quite the plan.

Huh?

No, forget I said anything. …Say, Mathias. These two really might take the throne. Are you alright with that?

Just a little more time. Give me a little more time. I’ll decide soon, I promise. Please, Sis.

Okay. Twins, thanks for your help! I’ll reward you in due time. See you later!

Mathias? Are you alright?

Yeah. I’m OK, all the time. You bet. Let’s go back, anyway. You must be exhausted after that battle!

Yes. Sounds like a plan.

Mathias has acquired the skill “Veteran Player”.

Veteran Player - Increase DEF when afflicted with an ailment.

The morning after…

Ah, hold on! Mireille? What’s wrong?

I need to apologize about the Royal Trial… That was meant to light a fire under Mathias… Seeing you two fight, he was meant to realize that someone else may take the throne from him, if he’s not careful.

We pretty much guessed that much. But why are you apologizing?

I know you defeated the guardian, but the rules actually state that it has to be fought alone. So you haven’t actually earned the right to take the throne. I tricked you, used you, and then gave you false hope! I’m really sorry, girls.

Hahaha, don’t worry about it. All that power, those robes, it would be too much for us anyway.

Lydie is right. We can’t rule. Those born to become rulers should rule, after all. So we’re not that bothered about it. In fact, we’re not bothered at all!

Twins! At least let me give you this as thanks for your cooperation.

Smaragd, Ruby, Sapphire received.

Uwah, thank you! I think we can use that!

Good. …You two really are something else, though, aren’t you? Defeating the guardian like that!

That’s right. There’s nothing we can’t do when we’re together!

Hehe, nothing at all? I almost wish I could see you both take the throne, then!

Hold on! I don’t think that “nothing” includes ruling a nation! Sorry!

That’s what you always say, right? So nothing is impossible for you in this world.

Hehehe, you might be right! Becoming queens would let us live in the lap of luxury!

Hold it, Sue! Don’t get distracted. We have to become the greatest alchemists in the kingdom! Bah, all this because Mathias won’t just bite the bullet and become king! Mathias, you flake!

Haha! Greatest alchemists in the kingdom… best of luck to you both on your way there! Good day!

Bye, Mireille! …Still, Lydie… us becoming royalty would be the ultimate rags to riches story, right?

Hmm… not as good as the two of us rising to become the greatest alchemists in the kingdom! Anyway… you know where we can find two fantastic alchemists?

I sure do! And I have a book to report on, too!

Then let’s go!

Sophie, listen to this! I read a picture book…

The Reluctant Ghostbusters

Firis is right! Why do you always do this?

Ugh… what can I say…

H-Hold on, what’s going on here? There’s a lot of anger in this room!

We’re not angry, just worried! Sophie has taken on far too much work. Again!

Including stuff that she isn’t very good at. I guess that’s one of her good qualities, but still…

I see. In which case, we’re here to help out!

Count me in! Sophie helped us out, so now we can return the favor!

Girls! Sorry you have to do this… But that would be a big help.

Dragging children into your mess! Sorry about this, you two.

We can handle it! What’s the job?

You see… It’s some… ghostbusting?

…What?!

I’m just so scared of ghosts… If you can give me a hand, it would be a real big help.

Ah, well… Sue?

It’s too late for that now! You’re coming with me to bust those pesky ghosts!

Noooo! I hate ghosts too! More than Sophie, I bet! Lydie, don’t make meeeee!

No! Sophie, we’ll see you in a little while.

Nooooo! I’d rather die than goooooooo!

Uwah, sorry, Sue. What have I gotten you wrapped up in?

I’m really, really sorry… I’ll be more careful, I promise.

So, Sophie, where were the ghosts reported?

At the Great Woods of Gurm-Adis. …Uwah…

Coooome on, off we go!

There it is! That’s the ghost we need to defeat!

Haah! Evil spirit, begone! Evil spirit, begooooone!

Ah, I think these two are broken. I have to pull everyone’s weight this time!

BEGOOOOOONE!!!

Uwah, nothing happened? We aren’t cursed?

I think we’re in the clear. Thank you, both of you. That was such a big help.

No problem. …You really do hate ghosts, though, don’t you, Sophie! So why did you even take this job?

The client really needed some help. I simply couldn’t leave them in distress.

I understand that feeling, but you are just too kind! Next time, you can pass work like this on to me. I can handle this alone, no problem.

Hey, we’ll help again too. Just let us know if you need us.

For anything other than ghost-related work!

Everyone! Thank you, I’ll keep that in mind.

Let’s get out of here, anyway. We wouldn’t want the ghost we defeated to curse us!

Cursed…? By the ghost we defeated?!

Uwah, don’t even joke about it! Let’s get out of here!

Firis! You couldn’t help yourself, could you?

Hehe, she’s too easy. If I don’t scare her a little, she’ll take the same job tomorrow. …Although that side of her is one that I really respect.

Hehe, me too. She’s something special, isn’t she!

I don’t want to get cursed! Let’s go home! NOW!

A new Combination Art for Firis and Sophie “Alchemy of Happiness” is unlocked.

Combination Arts

Ah! That’s the latest issue of Monthly Uni Maiden! It must belong to Sue. …Hey, Sue? Can I read this?

Sure, go ahead. I’ve finished it already.

Heheh, thanks. Time for this month’s Puni Knight Legend!

Hmm, I really like this combination attack… oh! We could totally do this ourselves! Sue!

Uwah! What is it? A page got ripped?

No! This! This right here!

Hmm… Masked Royal and Knight Saber Combination Attack! True Super Destruction Secret God… something! Yes, what about it?

What about it! I want to do this myself! I want our own combination attack!

Huh? I forgot you have a weak spot for stuff like that, Lydie…

You’re right I do! But this is about more than just shouting a cool attack name! Combination arts should have strategic value, too. More power at less risk! Those who master combination attacks will rule the battlefield! They’ll help us a lot, I’m sure!

You think?

Yes! They will!

Okay, okay! We can at least give it a try!

Great! Heheh, now I need to start thinking up attack names.

Phew. I guess it might help us win battles, if it works out… I’d better let the others know. Hah, what a wonderful sister I am! Hehe! Oh! While she’s busy with that…

INTERMISSION: Combination Arts have a gauge to fill, and you fill this gauge (and trigger the Combination Art itself) by having the frontliner use skills or items that the backliner can follow up with. And unfortunately, despite what Lydie says, Combination Arts in practice are not only almost always weaker than a good follow-up skill chain, but take a long-rear end time to charge up to boot (especially for now, since I don’t have any equipment or Battle Mixes to speed it up). I’ll post them at the end of each chapter if I can manage to trigger them. Now, let’s see what Sue’s up to…

Chez Sophie

Hey, Sophie…

Hello, Sue! This is rare! You’re here on your own?

Yes, I just sneaked out. Please, will you teach me how to cook?

My! What’s brought this on so suddenly?

Firis told us about how you hate housework but are great at cooking.

Gah! A bit of a barbed compliment, that one.

I always leave the cooking up to Lydie, so I’d like to be able to make something.

Well said, Sue! OK! I’ll teach you everything you need to know. First… Let’s head to the kitchen! Let’s try some beef and potato stew! First…

Turn up the heat to full blast, right? Here we go!

N-No, wait! Sue!

Hahaha! It was even worse than I expected, but don’t worry about it! Now, I’ve got some advice for you. First, you need to stay calm. Second, think about who you are making it for. Finally, and most importantly…

It will? I thought I was just saving time!

No, you’re not! Burning it wastes time! Anyway, give my advice a try. You’ll be cooking up a storm in no time, I’m sure.

Thanks! I’ll head home and give it a try right away.

…Hahaha, she reminds me of myself. How many things did I burn to a crisp, when I was younger? That was the same advice my grandma gave me… You can do it, Sue! Cooking is all about persistence, and you’ve got that in spades!

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Part 9-5: Test, Texts and Stakes

I agree. …I wonder how Dad is doing? He might already be B Rank by now.

No idea. We can’t worry about that, anyway. We just have to do whatever we can, for ourselves.

You’re right, of course. Let’s go and report to Mireille!

Showdown with Roger

What do you think? Do you want to try the next Promotion Test?

Yes!

Very well. The next exam is…

Wait a moment. I’m going to take that exam too.

Roger. I’ve heard about the situation from Lucia. You have the reputation, so you may take part too. …In which case, all three of you. This is your next exam!

To synthesize an item from these reference materials? That sounds super easy, though!

It’s not going to be easy. These materials are more than 500 years old—from the golden age of alchemy. A regular alchemist won’t even be able to read it.

I see. Perfect for the competition, then.

Yes. Our true battle starts now. Lydie, Sue. Show me what you can really do!

…You don’t have to tell us twice! We’ll show you twice, though!

We’re not losing to you, Dad!

Seriously, how hard can it be to synthesize one of these items for Mireille? Still, though…

Right. We still can’t afford to take too long. Because if Dad turns something in before we do…

Not gonna happen! Anyway, first, with the reference materials…

You can do the needful, yeah?

Oh, Sue…

Learned Wandering Globe recipe.
Learned Rainbow Neutralizer recipe.
Learned Reaction Fats and Oils recipe.

Three recipes… so three items to make.

Yeah. We only need to turn one of these in, but we might as well make all of them anyway.

Right. “More difficult tools will be evaluated more highly…” and we’ll figure out which is the most difficult once we get to it.

Right! And even aside from this exam, these items will come in handy for us to boot. I’m sure of it!

Now… let’s start with the fats and oils!

This looks to be an Enhancer… so it’s gonna be super simple to make! Just chuck some Golden Rocks, a bug…

Gyaaaaaah!

…some fuel, and a few heaps of oil into the cauldron, and…

…Is it over?

Yes. Next up…

We’ll need some Distilled Water, some other neutralizer, some hidden power, and some elixir.

Even aside from needing some Rainbow Neutralizer for our exam, I can tell it’s going to be far more powerful than any other neutralizer we’ve had access to thus far.

Right! We can customize its components to our liking, for whatever synthesis we’ll need it for. It’s just a shame we can’t also turn it into gunpowder, or oil, or whatever… But we can’t win ‘em all, I guess!

Two down, one to go…

Ah, I think I’ve got a lead… on how to make the ultimate cloth!

Might as well! It’ll pay off big for us later on!

All we need is some Golden Threads, some of our shiny new Rainbow Neutralizer, some elixir, and some cloth.

Since we need this for armor, we’ll need high-end purple and red components… and traits as well.

Good thing the Rainbow Neutralizer we made has both, too! And the effect boost from the Ruby will let us optimize the effects…

Now to do the job…

Quite a good job, if I say so myself!

Right! Now, for the last item from the reference…

For this, we need a Globe Ball… made with that recipe from the book we got from Hagel a while back… some ore, some metal, and some hidden power.

This looks to be a bomb we can use in battle. And we can attach both Twin Powers and Twin Powers: Pair to it. You know what that means?

Hehehe… this, right here, is the ultimate Firis Bomb!

Still though, I dunno if I want to fork one of THESE Wandering Globes over to Mireille. And we have another Globe Ball lying around, anyway. So…

Okay! That’s one we can give to Mireille. Now, we’ve made all the reference’s items…

So this is the moment of truth…

Right. Come what may, time to report to Mireille!

Ah, twins! What do you want to show me?

A Step Behind

Hmm… You know, Lydie, I don’t think Rainbow Neutralizer is the hardest thing to make out of everything from the reference materials.

Right. We’re not gonna ace this exam with one of these.

And this synthesis was even easier! Just toss some materials into the cauldron and mix, without even worrying about components or traits…

So that leaves the Wandering Globe. We had to read ANOTHER text to make one of the ingredients needed for this, after all. This has gotta be it!

I’ll take it, then. …It’s time to announce my evaluation!

:siren:Flower Stamp Condition:siren: : Give Mireille a Wandering Globe. Quality doesn’t matter for this exam. Remember the visit to Hagel’s in the first update of this chapter, where the twins bought a book from him? That’s how you get the recipe for the Globe Ball, which you in turn need to synthesize this item.

Well done. Most impressive, in fact! I can’t fault this at all! Congratulations! Both of you, you’ve reached B Rank!

Thank you! What about Dad?

Just one step behind, from the looks of it. You’ve improved at alchemy considerably.

Yes, we have. We won. So please, Dad, as you promised. Come back home.

Before that, though, you need to tell us why you suddenly vanished, and everything else.

You’re going to be talking to us until your voice is hoarse, you hear?!

Lydie… Sue… Yes, I’m very sorry. Sorry for everything I have done to you… Please come to Honnete’s grave. I will tell you everything there.

Let’s go, then. Go to Mom’s grave.

Right!

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Part 9-6: Restoration

Roger’s Regrets

Dad?

You promised, right?

Ah, yes… sigh…

I met Honnete, we had both of you, and then came back here to Merveille. We promised to run the greatest atelier, and I never doubted for a moment that we’d achieve it. …But I couldn’t keep that promise. I had such confidence and yet I couldn’t save Honnete… After that, I was a wreck. Whenever I seriously tried to synthesize, I just fell apart. I tried to keep on using alchemy, but could only make jokey, half-baked things.

So that’s what happened…

Now… why did you leave us for so long? And what compelled you to put us through this challenge?

Yes… The reason I did all this, was because I was sick with how pathetic I’ve become. You’ve been making such progress and I’ve just been sitting around moping, getting left behind. Panicking, knowing I couldn’t leave it like this, I decided challenging you was the best idea. I wanted to beat you and act all fatherly… but throughout this challenge, it was all I could do to keep my hands from shaking.

Dad!

You girls are now true alchemists. Please, will you keep my promise for me? Our promise, to become the greatest alchemists in the kingdom?

…No. I don’t want that.

Sue?

Me neither. We promised Mom to run the greatest kingdom, together, as a family. Me, and Sue, and you, Dad! We have to do it together or it will be meaningless!

So don’t ask us to do anything for you! Let’s all aim to become the greatest, together!

I can’t. I couldn’t keep any of those promises… To have the greatest atelier… To travel as a family through the paintings… And, more than anything, to make her happy… I’ve failed in every promise that I made her.

You’re wrong! Mom told us! That in the end you always keep your promises!

But girls…

Got it?! The basement! Move it!

What? …Fine, fine. I’m coming.

Girls… you go on ahead. I still need some time here…

Sigh… Alright. We’ll be waiting for you back home.

Oh, right, Sue… you know who else is waiting for us back home?

Lucia! I’m sure she wants to know how the challenge ended…

Lucia Dismissed

Heheh, no need to worry. We won with ease!

You did? Well done! So… does that mean I can finally go home?

Yes. Sorry for all the trouble caused by our dad. It was fun living with you for a while, though!

Heheh, your cooking was really great, Lucia. You can come and stay anytime!

Hehe, I’ll give it some thought. Thank you for letting me stay.

…Hmm. I’m almost sad to see her go, noisy as she is.

Me too. I’m sure she’ll be back around before we know it, though.

Yeah, you’re right. Come on, let’s go to the basement.

Spirit Restored

Sure, I can do that. Hmm… there we go!

Finally! It feels like an eternity since we’ve been here last…

Yes. It’s called the “Heavenly Flower Garden”. I started painting it for Honnete… But it ended up being a tribute to her.

Say, Dad. About whether or not you’ve kept your promises… Why don’t we go and ask Mom about that?

Ask Honnete? What do you mean?

It seems that Mom is inside this painting. The fragment of her soul is still living inside it.

We met Mom inside “Etel Nepica”. But it wasn’t Mom from the past. Come on, Dad! Let’s all go together to see her!

We can’t. I already told you, this isn’t a Mysterious Painting. I did use Neige’s Paints to make it, but there’s no world in there.

That’s not true! We’ll show you!

Hold on? We went in last time!

Like I said, you can’t go inside this painting. That’s enough, girls. Just give up…

Ugh?!

It’s common not to be able to get inside at first. But there’s something we can do to fix it.

If you’ve traveled in Mysterious Paintings then you surely know what we mean, right?

Restoration…? Is that what you mean? But…

Let’s give it a try. If it doesn’t work, we’ll just try something else.

I want to see Mom again. You must do too, Dad! So let’s go see her! As a family, into this painting!

Girls…!

Don’t give up before you even try, is it? You know what, you’re right!

I’m going to let my ideas solidify. Leave the Restoration to me! Hahaha!

That’s the Dad we know and love! We’ll go and make them at once!

These’ll be the best paints you’ve ever seen! Just wait a little while!

This paint should do the trick. Some Gold Puniballs, some fruit, some oil, and some Hidden Power…

We’re making these paints so we can meet Mom again… so only the best ingredients!

Dad!

Painting Restored

Now it’s my turn to take the stage! You rest up. You don’t want Honnete to see you tired!

Hahaha, good point. We’ll leave this to you, Dad.

I’m sure you can do it, Dad. Just do your best!

Right! For my dear daughters, the artist Roger will release his greatest masterpiece!

Yawn… time to sleep like we mean it!

Hey… Hey! Lydie, Sue!

I want honey and pancakes for breakfast…

What are you talking about? Wake up! Come on, open your eyes. We’re going to go and see Honnete!

What do you mean, Dad? You’ve finished the restoration already?

Come and take a look! To the basement!

No need to tell us twice!

I can’t wait!

Uwah!

Hahaha, I’m sure it will work. You painted it, after all!

You’re amazing, Dad! I’m impressed!

Hahaha! That’s nice of you to say. It seems all my hard work has paid off.

Right. Without further delay, let’s go inside!

Yes! Time to meet Mom!

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 13, 2019

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, dang.

...so why did it work at the beginning of the game, anyhow? Was that the last of its power?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Glazius posted:

Well, dang.

...so why did it work at the beginning of the game, anyhow? Was that the last of its power?

I guess so? If Roger himself was making his own Mysterious Paints for the Heavenly Flower Garden then he probably ended up making an incomplete painting with very limited power, given what he said about how badly his alchemy ability tanked over Honnete's death.

...I say probably, because the game itself isn't totally consistent on whether Roger seriously didn't know that he'd made a Mysterious Painting, or whether he knew he did but was gaslighting the twins about it earlygame. But now the painting's restored, Roger's spirit is also restored, and now they're going in for the reunion they've needed for years

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I got the impression he knew but gaslit - perhaps in a panic so his daughters don't get themselves hurt going into painting, because he does recognize the danger. He definitely had no idea Honette is still wandering around in side them.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Robindaybird posted:

I got the impression he knew but gaslit - perhaps in a panic so his daughters don't get themselves hurt going into painting, because he does recognize the danger. He definitely had no idea Honette is still wandering around in side them.

Yeah you know what, I think this is the better read. And it's only now that he's finally dropped the act, after his daughters defeated him and demonstrated their determination to restore and enter the Heavenly Flower Garden and reunite with Honnete. (And hell, they're also experienced painting travelers at this point and can count a thunder demon god among the scalps they've taken, so that's more proof of how far they've come!)

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Part 9-7: Miracle

Honnete in Heaven

Music: Garden of Memories and Faded Dreams -Lydie-

Uwah! It’s just so lovely in here!

See, Dad? Just like we said! Your work is a Mysterious Painting after all!

Yes! This scenery is completely amazing!

Haha! You’re the one who created all this. You’re amazing, Dad!

You’re making me blush, Lydie!

Hahaha! Your face is bright red, Dad! Come on, anyway! Let’s get moving!

Good idea. Mom is in here somewhere, after all.

Music: To Find That Voice

This was about as far as we made it in last time.

Yes… it’s the place where we lost sight of Mom. Here, in the Chasm in the Heart…

Mmm. A loss which bereaved all of us… and undoubtedly, her as well.

No matter what, we’ll find her this time! Hmm… look, in the background! Stairs!

Promises with Mom

Fond memories…

Of the life we all lived…

Up we go!

(Easy! “Don’t give up before you even try”!)

(Very good. What about number 4?)

(I’ve got that one too! “Stay away from strange people”!)

(Perfect! You’ve got this down, Suelle!)

(Hehe, I know! Maybe I can’t study like Lydie… But I remember all of our promises with you! I want to make you happy, Mom!)

(Ah, good girl! Come here and let me pat you on the head!)

(Great! I love you, Mom!)

Wait, Mom…! We’re on our way…!

I… I believe! I believe we’ll see Mom again!

Pant… this is a lot of stairs to climb… but it’ll be worth it when we finally meet her again!

It’s like we’re ascending into heaven ourselves! …Haha, that came out wrong…

The clouds above, and below… they’re all so dreamy!

Like cotton candy! I’m sure Firis would take a bite if she could…

Gift of Knowledge

A new section already… I can’t wait to see what beautiful new vistas await us!

And maybe here, we’ll find Mom…!

(Yes, look! Mom, this is called a Punitrancer! They call it that because it entrances Puni. It’s so cute, isn’t it?)

(Wow, I didn’t know that! You know so much, Lydie. Have you been reading the encyclopedia again?

(Yep! You bought it for me, so I’ve read it all the way through!)

(That’s amazing! You’ll be a great scholar in the future!)

(What? No way! I want to be an alchemist, just like Dad!)

(Hehe, of course. But all this studying will pay off as well, I’m sure. You keep up the hard work and stay my bright little Lydie!)

(I will!)

Just a little longer…! Just a little longer, then…!

Yeah…! We’ll finally reach Mom…!

This sure is a flower garden! So soothing and peaceful… It feels like we’re dancing right through it!

Get a load of those arches! They look so picturesque, with ivy and vines hugging them! …Shame about the Groblair, though…

Yeah. But we have to keep on pressing forward!

Until we find Mom!

The Most Important Place

Might this finally be the place?

Ah! There!

That’s the woman we saw before. That must be her!

Honnete! …Gah, she can’t hear us!

It’s okay. We’re not losing sight of her this time.

Definitely not! Just hold on, Mom!

She went up those stairs over there. To the highest heights of the Heavenly Flower Garden… and the very heart of this painting!

Look! A rotunda, a floating island with waterfalls, and… another Groblair…

There sure seem to be a ton of them in this painting. Even compared to the others we’ve been to…

Hmm…

Over those stairs! That gateway…

Could it lead to the place where Mom lives…? I guess we’ll find out soon enough!

Check out that tree! It’s so… venerable…? Anyway!

The Atelier in the Painting

In the distance… Could that be…

An atelier? Why is there an atelier inside of the painting?

Don’t ask me. I always thought of her smiling, in the atelier, while painting this, though.

Hahaha! Dad, you really love Mom, don’t you!

Hahaha, of course! She’s my beloved wife!

Hahaha! And our beloved mother. Come on, Sue.

Let’s go. Let’s go see Mom!

Miracle

Excuse us! We’re coming in!

Music: Who Are You?

Ah, guests? This is a rare treat…

No, you’re not…! This isn’t a dream…! We’ve finally, finally found you…!

Mom…! I really wanted to see you! I’ve missed you so much! …Uwaaaah!

Girls… I haven’t seen you for a while, but did you always cry this much?

The two of them have been so lonely… For just a while, do you think…

Of course. Stay as long as you like. I’ve missed you all, too.

Music: Who Are You? (Piano Ver.)

That’s not an easy question to answer. I just kind of suddenly ended up here? I remember dying… I have clear memories up to that point. But no idea how I came to be here after that.

You must be the soul fragment that Neige was talking about, for sure…

I’m not really sure I understand what you mean by “soul fragment”, but I’m actually pretty amazing! I can move between painting worlds, so that’s how I’ve been passing the time.

Hahaha! That sweet naivete… Not that I doubted it, but you really are my Honnete!

I never thought I’d see you again, and yet here you all are. What else can you call it?

Yes… You’re right. As always.

Dad… Dad! What about the reason we’re here?

You wanted to ask Mom about your promises, right? So man up and ask!

What? R-Right! Honnete. Have I ever kept even one of my promises to you? Were you happy, being with me?

Of course I was happy! Even if I got to everything again, I’d want to be your wife! …Hold on. Let me ask you, then! Were you happy with me?

O-Of course I was! I was so happy, being with you…

Good, glad to hear it. I’m sure you’re sad about not being able to save me… But I was so happy to have lived with you. Just remember that, when you face forward.

Ah… thank you! Sniff… Thank you… Honnete…! Sniff…

The four talk well into the night, making up for lost time in a way I couldn’t possibly do justice trying to emulate here. All you need to know is that at some point, the conversation turns to Lucia, and…

Hahaha! You should have seen her face! Like a Puni hit by a bomb! Hahaha!

That does sound funny. I’m glad to hear Lucia is doing well, too…

Honnete! What’s wrong? Are you OK?

Ah, I’m fine. I just got a bit dizzy when I stood up.

Ah, sorry, Mom. We’ve been talking your ears off!

You don’t look very well, Mom. We don’t want to tire you out too much, so we’ll give you room.

Really? Thank you for your consideration. Here’s a little something.

Colorful Garden Fragments received.

Color Fragments! Thank you, we’ll treasure these!

We will! We’ll come and see you again soon!

I’ll be waiting for you, my precious treasures.

Hmm…

That night, back at their atelier…

Heheh! Sue! It was so lovely to see Mom again, wasn’t it!

Yes! She’s so soft and smooth, and smells so nice!

Lydie has acquired the skill “Spring of Knowledge”.

Spring of Knowledge - Increase the damage of Battle Mix items.

Sue has acquired the skill “Beautiful Pixie”.

Beautiful Pixie - Increase evasion chance against physical attacks.

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jul 12, 2019

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Best ending is going to be getting Honnete out of the painting, isn't it?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Omobono posted:

Best ending is going to be getting Honnete out of the painting, isn't it?

No comment, but now would be a good time to start thinking about endings since we'll be entering the last act-ish of the game with Chapter 10 (out of 12) soon.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Chapter 9 debrief

So yeah, that was quite an emotional roller coaster from the end of Chapter 8 through the end of this one. How many of you were expecting that back when we were introduced to the twins foraging in the forest?

Anyway, for the B Rank exam, you’ve got a 30 day time limit—the one and only time limit you’ll operate under in the entire game. It’s so lenient that you can make all three of the test’s items and screw around a bit more and STILL have tons of time to spare. But what happens if you go over, just for the hell of it? Well… yeah. Game over.

But of course, to get to the B Rank exam, you have to accomplish some ambitions first. So…

You find these (not so) optional bosses by taking red sword requests from the Notice Board. Like this one for the Dark Maiden, or this one for the Super Puni.

CGs, both from the Heavenly Flower Garden!

CGs
Warm Shadow 2
Miracle

Character Art/3D Models
Honnete OA (Yuugen)
Honnete 3D Model

1.03 Scene:
Paean of the Chuunibyou

As promised, Combination Arts!
Combination Arts:
Alchemy of Happiness (Sophie/Firis)
Rules of Chaos (Sue/Lucia)
And yes, I know I unlocked Firis and Ilmeria’s Combination Art sometime in Chapter 8, but wasn’t able to get it in this chapter. It’ll wait for next time.

Location Notes and Memos:
Mysterious Painting

This is a painting Dad made for Mom. Now that I think about it, I may have seen it before? It’s very beautiful, so I absolutely love this world!

Bestiary Notes:

Depending on Mathias’ friendship level, you could get this boss battle as early as Chapter 8. And it’s a boss fight where everyone but the twins is removed from the party. Anyway, a high-quality Lightning Crystal with Greatly Slow Movement and Activate Scatter should be able to do keep it at bay long enough that you can just keep using Eisen Lufts to exploit its Air weakness until it falls.

The crazy defense and nigh-immunity to Magic (and multiple elemental resistances) means that the Firis bomb is actually ineffective against the Super Puni. Using a Pure Aroma to temporarily give it elemental weaknesses could speed up this fight.

It’s got tons of HP, but very bad defense and is weak to Magic and Physical attacks (plus Fire and Ice), so it takes tons of damage from everything.

The Thunder weakness means that it’s very vulnerable to Lightning Crystals (and due to how Lightning Crystals work, it might not even get a chance to retaliate before going down.)

Ghost that’s weak to magic means you can blank it with Firis’ follow-ups (and Alt’s to a lesser extent).

Anyway, for bosses you fight for requests, I’m only going to cover them if they’re relevant to an ambition. Now, moving on to music:

Music:
Garden of Memories and Faded Dreams -Lydie-
This tune is played when playing as Lydie in the Heavenly Flower Garden. In order to express the mysteriousness of the situation the twins find themselves in, I chose some more esoteric sounds than usually found in the Atelier tracks. The idea is to produce a light, happy feeling, like waking up in the middle of a dream. Most Atelier tracks have a well-defined melody, so the difficulty here was in balancing that with the ambience I wanted to achieve. (Yano)

Garden of Memories and Faded Dreams -Suelle-
This tune is played when playing as Suelle in the Heavenly Flower Garden. Most tracks in the Atelier series are recorded using live instruments, but in order to suggest the “otherworldliness” of the world within the paintings, we changed policy a little. Specifically, we incorporated synthesizers and drum machines to create the kind of arrangement that cannot be achieved by live instruments alone. (Yano)

To Find That Voice
The soundtrack for the reunion with Honnete is an instrumental medley arrangement of a vocal song. The opening phrase, also used in the “in-atelier” music, is taken from the title’s main theme, imagined as a lullaby that Honnete used to sing for Lydie and Suelle. It’s used in a number of places throughout the title. See if you can spot it. (Yano)
So as mentioned, this track only plays in the Heavenly Flower Garden during Chapter 9, to build anticipation for the reunion with Honnete. As an aside, this track doesn’t even stop for battles.

Who Are You?
Considering the character’s position, I wondered whether I should make this piece a little mystical and emotional, but once I checked the story, I realized that wouldn’t be necessary. She also seems to handle the monologues slipped into the story here and there, and while that may not be significant in terms of her character, I tried to incorporate that into the music as well. (Achiwa)

Who Are You? (Piano Ver.)
This is the emotional version of Honnete’s theme. I thought particularly of the twins’ “promises with Mom,” and how they must have been taught them from a very young age. What a wonderful mother… (Yanagawa)

Happy Alchemist
Sophie and Firis’ combination move. The melody is a mix of tracks related to each of them. It is quite fascinating to have the protagonists of three different titles together. (Yanagawa)
The track for Sophie and Firis’ Combination Art samples from Traveling Atelier from Firis’ game and Phronesis, the title screen opening to Sophie’s game, in that order.

DEBRIEF debrief:
At the end of Chapter 8, the twins saw how Roger was devastated by his failure to save Honnete—and Roger himself goes back to his childhood home of Atelier Borthayre to take it over and run Lucia and his brother out. In this chapter, the twins deal with the fallout, and after defeating him in the race to B Rank, they finally snap him out of his misery by compelling him to restore the Heavenly Flower Garden—and reunite with Honnete therein.

And what a reunion it was! From the twins’ euphoria at meeting their long-lost mother again to Roger finally hearing the words he needed to hear from Honnete to finally move on and be a functional human being again, this was a hell of an end to this story arc. Now, what comes next? The twins can live happily ever after and visit their mother whenever they want, and keep on keeping on to fulfill their promise to her, right? It’s not over until they finally reach S Rank—and hopefully before any of the other alchemists in Merveille do!

Stay tuned for Chapter 10!

Also, since it’s Chapter 9, by request, you might notice something about Ilmeria’s atelier…

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jul 12, 2019

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Might have to put off the first update of Chapter 10 for a bit; I got an interview on the other side of the state on very short notice so I gotta get ready for that. And also travel. Anything past the first update will definitely have to wait a while.

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 16, 2019

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
What a touching scene! It makes you want to let go of all the regrets that were keeping you anchored to the world.

...poo poo, wait.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Part 10-1: Family Secrets

The Secret Between Their Parents

Honnete…

Hello, Roger. What is it? You’ve missed me already?

Yes, that’s part of it! But there’s also something I want to ask you… Honnete, be honest. You’re pushing yourself a bit too hard, aren’t you?

Hahaha… I knew I couldn’t fool you, Roger. My beloved husband. I don’t know why, but sometimes… just sometimes, if I don’t concentrate, I feel myself fading…

Hold on! I know what that sounds like.

Me too. I don’t have long left.

What about the girls? Should I tell them?

No need. When the time comes, I’ll tell them. Keep it a secret until then. We’ve only just gotten each other back… I want them to be happy for as long as possible.

Yes, you might be right. …I’m so sorry, Honnete.

There’s no need for you to apologize, my darling. Ah, why don’t we take a walk in the flowers? We can talk all about our girls.

I figured you’d say that, which is why I brought this wine! Where to start…

A Successful Synthesis

Sue! The tea’s almost ready!

You’d better hurry up, Lydie! Or else you’ll miss out on Dad in action!

Hahaha! Take a look at this!

Yep. The shaking in my hands has been getting better. Not perfect, but I’m back in action!

Hahaha, that’s great, Dad! The A Rank exam conditions have arrived, too.

Great! Now we can all aim to become the greatest atelier in the kingdom together! And this’ll help plenty… our subsidy of 6000 Coll!

First, I think I got a lead for something amazing! It’s a stone derived from a Dragon Bloodstone.

Sounds great! So you’ll need that… plus a Rainbow Corundum, some gunpowder, and some elixirs?

Yes. Now…

Uwah… those are some wicked powerful components! …Hey, I think I got a good lead for what we can use this in!

Harmonium… the ultimate metal! …

Yup! …Ngh…

Hunger and Usury(?)

No …We could try boiling some canvas? It’s white, it might even taste like sugar toast…

Don’t be silly. Although I’m so hungry, I almost can’t feel anything…

It can’t be helped. All Dad does is buy art supplies…

Lucia? Sorry, but could you come back some other time? We don’t have the energy to deal with you today…

Hah! Are you sure you should be treating me like that? I am here bringing you food, after all!

What?! Really? You’ve got food?! Real food?

Yes. Uncle asked me to bring you both something to eat.

If he was going to do that, he could have just not spent the money in the first place!

Hahaha. Thank you, Lucia. Now we don’t have to whittle down an easel to eat it.

I-Is that how bad things were getting…? Go ahead, then. Eat your fill.

Mmm… Munch, munch…

Sluuuuuurp…

Uwah, I’m stuffed! I couldn’t eat another bite!

I’m alive again! And full to the brim! I don’t know what would have happened without you, Lucia!

Hehe, I know, right? Well, then…

You want us to pay you…? Hey! I wasn’t told about that part of all of this!

Hah! I never said it was a free meal, did I? My dream for the future is to be rich! So rich that I never have to work again! That’s why I never let a single coin slip through my fingers. So hurry up and pay me!

Uwah… You saved our lives, so there’s not much we can say. Put it on our tab?

That’s the best we can do. We can’t afford to touch our atelier fund… Heh…

Ohohoho! I’m only joking! Just a joke! I felt so sorry for you, and I’m not going to take money. I’ll leave the rest of the food here. Bye-bye!

…She’s so weird! But it doesn’t change the fact that she really did save us.

What? Lucia just came by with some food. Dad, did you forget you asked her to bring us some?

Lucia? I asked her for a loan, sure, but she shot me down real quick.

Hmm. Maybe Lucia was actually using her head for once, then!

It looks like it. Thank you, Lucia… Anyway, Sue, our bellies are full… so time to make the Harmonium!

No kidding… they don’t call this the ultimate metal for nothing! Still, though…

There we go!

The Green Gremlin's Hypothesis

You too! Hehe, this turned out pretty good.

Hmm, not bad. Work worthy of my rivals.

…Ugh. Can you not creep up on us like that? You almost gave me a heart attack!

I didn’t creep anywhere! I announced myself, you two just didn’t hear me.

Hahaha. Is this a social call, Lucia? Just looking to relax a little?

Yes. The atmosphere in this near-abandoned atelier is perfect for taking a break!

Huh. I guess, seeing as you’re here, I’ll fix some tea for you.

I want it nice and hot with lots of sugar!

Alright, Lady Lucia… okay, like this?

Thank you for that! I’ll come again soon, hehe!

Hmm. Now that she’s out the door and out of earshot… Miss Lydie. I have formulated an interesting hypothesis.

Is that so, Professor Sue! And what great hypothesis might this be?

Lucia comes over quite a lot, doesn’t she? Regardless of whether we are working or not… In other words, Lucia must have a lot of free time!

Hah! I think you’ve realized something that maybe we weren’t meant to realize? While Borthayre looks like they have loads of customers, they actually don’t have much work?

I’m only considering possibilities here. They do have lots of money, don’t they?

Then I’m even more jealous! But we don’t know the truth, do we?

Hmm, you’re right. …Ah, I know! All we have to do is find out!

What? Find out, how?

I just had a great idea for a recipe. This, and this… take a look.

What is this? It says “Replacement Medicine”?

Let’s just make it. We can test it after that!

Okay! Let’s get-

Roger’s Resumed Experiments

Oh… What is it this time?

Wow, that was easier than I was expecting? In fact, you’ve gotten me a bit worried now!

Nothing to worry about, I promise. We’ve just given up on resisting your foolishness.

I-Is that so… I feel conflicted about that, too. Moving on! How about a potion that makes you taller?

That sounds surprisingly reasonable… but no, not coming from you. Have to keep our guard up!

Ahem. You have a merchant you’re friendly with, right? What’s her name? Something corny?

A merchant? You mean Corneria?

Yes, her. I’ve heard rumors that she has a bit of an issue with her height. She’s helped you both out, so I’d like to help resolve her complex, if I can.

Our self-obsessed, selfish mad scientist of a father, who’s wasted almost his entire life… is now working to help others! Sue, we need to push the boat out tonight! Let’s celebrate!

I’m not sure I like where this is heading… Don’t make me cry again, girls, please! A-Anyway! Here’s your list!

To prove I’m not mad… I mean, to repay kind Corneria, go and do your very best!

Sure, sure. But first, Lydie…

Right! We’ve… other matters to attend to.

This seems simple enough to make… and there we go!

Lucia’s Secrets

We made the medicine you thought up, Sue. Is this really going to work?

Ah, you’re still suspicious! Don’t worry, I thought up this recipe. Let’s give it a try. Each of us will take a sip, okay?

Uwah! This stuff stinks. Are you sure it’s okay to drink it?

Sure. Here, look… uwah! It doesn’t taste that great, but it’s drinkable.

Uwah, fine, fine. Ah, it isn’t… too… bad?

Hehe, it worked! A potion that swaps the minds of the two people who drink it!

What?! You made something so potent?

That’s right. Ah, the effects are about to wear off.

Yes. Now, if we use this and swap with Lucia…

I see! We’ll be able to find out right away if Lucia is really busy or not!

That’s it! Let’s go and expose the truth!

It’s nothing scary. Nothing scary at all. Just take a sip of this medicine…

Wh-what is it, all of a sudden? This is too creepy. No way I’m going to drink that!

Well, in that case… Lydie, plan B!

Roger! You brought this on yourself, Lucia!

H-hey! Let me go! Gah, I can’t move…

It’s all good, all good. It may be a little smelly, but not harmful at all.

Like I can believe that! It definitely smells like something very harmful!

Geh, don’t be a baby. We even tried it ourselves.

Yep, yep. Nothing to worry about, just drink it up!

G-gah… Ugh! Cough… It tastes even worse than it stinks…!

Alright! So now I drink this… gulp… Ugh, it does taste pretty bad…

Hehehe. Okay, Lydie. I’ll leave it to you and begin my research!

Understood. Okay, come on, Su-el-le. Let’s go back home.

…W-Wait a second. What is going on?! You can’t just do this!

… Alright. Now that all the noisy ones are gone, let’s get started. I’ll find out just how much you play around…

… ugh, what’s with this list of jobs? It’s too long! Especially compared with us… Hm? There’s something written on the edges… “Finish the job early and go hand out with the twins”? “Check if the twins had enough to eat”… “Ask if they have any problems with their synthesis”… “Make sure they are not too lonely with Auntie gone”… This… I didn’t know she felt like this at all. She went out of her way to come and see us!

Welcome back, Sue! So, how was it?!

Oh… You know… I rifled through her schedule book. She really does have as much work as the long lines outside her atelier imply. And she had notes on the edges concerning us. Worrying about if we were hungry… if we were having issues with synthesis… if we were lonely without Mom. She really does care a lot about us…

…Really? …Huh. And all this time we didn’t treat her well at all…

Yeah… and she even made time for us even though she’s so busy. We should try being nicer to her from now on. …Well, that’s all good and all, but there’s something else…

Hm? What is it?

…When we changed bodies, I sort of realized that, she’s kind of much… bigger than she looks.

Oh? You’ve got my interest now. Tell me all the details…

Lucia has attained the skill Unattainable Object?

Unattainable Object? - Restore a small amount of MP each turn.

A new Combination Art for Lydie and Lucia “Avars Order” is unlocked.

…Later, actually! We have something to fork over to Dad…

A Good Deed Gone Awry

Roger Inspiration Condition: Give Roger 9 Turtle Claws.

That was incredible, girls! Hahaha! You’ve stirred up my creative soul!

This is perfect. All finished! Hurry up and get Corneria, go on!

Alright! We’ll be back in a flash!

Ah, how polite you are! I’m Roger, father of Lydie and Suelle…

Enough with the small talk! Here you go, Corneria. Drink this.

Yes. It will make you taller. Dad cooked it up as a way to thank you for all you’ve done for us.

That’s right. They seem to rely on you a lot, so I very much want you to have this.

Go ahead! Swill it down and grow like a beanstalk!

I’m very happy…! I’ll drink it all at once!

Right… Run for it, girls!

Huh?

Glug… glug… Huh? What? What’s this…?

What on earth is this?!

You idiot! You’ve created a hundred new worries for her!

…Lydie? …Sue? Can you explain what’s going on here?

Gyaah, my ears! Corneria! Please, try not to talk!

Dummy-daddy! What are you going to do about this?!

Don’t worry. It shouldn’t be much longer now.

Ah! Corneria is shrinking back down!

Y-Yes, a dream. Hahaha, I’ve no idea what you were dreaming about, of course! Sorry for the trouble!

O… kay… A dream? It seemed very vivid…

Good, she’s out of earshot… Well, Dad. How are you going to make up for this one?

How! Corneria didn’t get any taller, but you did put a hole in our roof!

Ah! I was just too fixated on making her bigger! Ah, another screw-up!

We’ll be putting your food allowance toward the repairs, Dad. No eating until it’s fixed!

G-Girls! That’s just too mean…!

There we go! Like that episode never happened!

Seriously! Everything but the basement was in ruins!

Speaking of the basement… don’t you think we oughta pay Mom a visit?

Yeah! We can see her anytime we want now… I still can’t believe it! Let’s go, Lydie!

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 28, 2019

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Part 10-2: Moms, Sisters and Voices

Music: Hydrangea -Part 3-
(Music: Sunflower -Part 3-)

No really, there sure are a ton of these black monsters in Dad’s painting. They really are a blight…

Yeah… but that’s not what we’re here for. Let’s hightail it out of here! Fast!

Aaaaaand… we’re back! But waltzing through the entire Heavenly Flower Garden just to get here sure works up an appetite!

Now should be dinnertime… and you know what we haven’t had for far too long?

I sure do!

Honnete’s Home Cooking

Me too! I want to compare them with the ones Lydie makes!

Is that so, my darlings? I would love to, but I can’t get the ingredients for them in here.

We’ll bring them to you, then. Would that work?

Yes! I’ll knock your socks off with deliciousness! Bring me the best ingredients you can find.

Will do! Only the best for our beloved mother… and for her delicious pancakes!

The Wheat Flour has to be upward of 60 quality. Eminently makeable with high-quality Weiss Wheat from the Dawn Realm.

Wow! I can’t afford to mess up after you’ve collected all of this! To the kitchen!

Hehe, I’ll help too. I really want to cook with you!

Okay… Then I’ll just go for a run outside! I want to get as hungry as possible for this!

Mom! I think I’ve got the steps and ingredients down, but how do you do it?

You’ll see, my dear…

Later…

You said it! They’re on a whole different level from mine. Mom, seconds! I want more!

Oh, my dears. You’ve still got honey all around your mouths! You’ve grown bigger, but you’re still little kids in so many ways!

I don’t think that’s true! I just ate them a little too quickly…

Me too. It’s your fault, Mom, for making those pancakes too delicious!

What? My fault? Then I apologize sincerely!

Hahaha. They really are good, though. I make them almost exactly the same way. So I don’t know why mine feel… lacking…

Hahah, that’s because mine have a secret ingredient!

Wow! Like what? Hold on, you’re not going to say “love”, are you?

Ah…

Looks like you guessed it, Sue.

Okay, okay! I’m sorry, Mom! I’m sorry!

Hah… Here, you can have this!

Oh? A pancake recipe?

Mother’s Recipe Notes received.

That’s right. That’s how to make Honnete-style pancakes. Read it and you’ll be ready.

Uwah! You wrote it all down for us? Thanks, Mom!

Hehe, no problem. I’ll do whatever it takes to make you girls happy! When you have kids of your own, make some delicious pancakes for them, too.

We will. We’ll treasure this forever.

Absolutely! Anyway, Lydie. If this atelier is the same as our own, then you know what else should be here?

Ah! Oh well… But who knows what’s down there, since there’s no Dad doing his thing in there?

Right… Anyway, home we go for now!

(Sigh… even for THE recipe for Mom’s pancakes, Sue just can’t…)

Learned Deluxe Pancakes recipe.

I’ll go check the Notice Board and maybe do a request!

Alright, Sue! You’ll have a hot stack waiting for you early in the morning. Hmm… of course there’s the flour and water, and we can’t go without the Honey, and… an Unknown Egg, huh? Looks simple enough!

There, the pancakes are ready! I hope Sue enjoys these when she gets back.

Their Mothers’ Meals

Hey, Firis. Welco… uwah, what’s that?

It’s our mother’s recipe, actually. I wanted to share it with you!

Heh, that’s quite the coincidence! My mom taught me how to make these pancakes!

She did? So we’re both enjoying some of our moms’ cooking!

Hahaha, you’re right! Say, Firis… Would you like to try a pancake before you go?

Would that be alright? Thanks, then! Have some rabbit!

Thanks! It’s a little heavy to have as a snack, but once in a while can’t hurt! Mmm…

Another pancake, please!

Mmm?! Ahem… sure! (I’ve barely even had the time to sink my teeth into this rabbit…) Mmm!

Phew, that was delicious! Your pancakes are great, Lydie!

The rabbit was wonderful too! I couldn’t stop myself!

Mothers really know their stuff, don’t they?

You said it!

I’m bac… hold on! That aroma!

Wah, Sue! It’s not what you think!

Hah! I’m not listening to your excuses. Make me some pancakes, now, or I’ll never forgive you!

Yes, yes, I don’t think I have much choice. Just wait a moment, a hot stack is coming right up.

Great! I’m so hungry I could eat the plate!

…Mmm, delicious! You really can’t go wrong sticking to Mom’s recipe!

You said it, Sue!

Later that morning…

Mysterious Voices

Nope, I don’t think so. What do you mean?

Well, sometimes, I hear a voice coming from paintings.

A voice? Hmm, I don’t think I’ve heard a painting talk before. They do say some of the best alchemists can listen to the voices of materials.

Yes, those to-…

Ah, sorry, nothing. I see, so you don’t know… ah!

Are you hearing it now? What’s it saying?

Wow, it’s much clearer than before… Dad. You took some wine to Mom, right?

Yes, I did. But how did you… Oh, I see…

Ah, me too! Mom said she can move between paintings, right? Which means, every time you’ve heard that voice, you’ve been hearing Mom, right?

Yes, that might be it. In fact, I’m sure it is!

Hmm, I see. Mysterious indeed.

Hold on! This means you’ve been hearing Mom all this time? That’s so unfair! I wanted to hear her too! Why is Lydie the only one, Dad?

I’m sorry, I can’t really explain. I guess what comes to mind is… your general demeanor?

Gaaah! I’m mad now! I’m vetoing your dinner tonight! No dessert for you, either!

No! I’m sorry! I can’t subsist on just dry bread! Sue! Sue!!

Huh. These voices… Really, though, why am I the only one?

Anyway, Lydie, what did you hear Mom saying just now?

She’s lonely without us, and probably a bit tipsy too… as good an excuse as any for us to pay her another visit!!

Gunner and Spelunker

Oh, all over. The Great Cascades of Anfel, and the Spooky Forest, too. Ah, and the Treasury at the Sea Bottom, too! I chatted with the captain, he was most amusing.

I don’t remember you being quite this active, Mom.

Dunkelheit, Starfruit and Backen’s Bromide received.

Hmm. Just don’t go anywhere too strange, okay? There are monsters in the painting worlds. We don’t want you to get hurt, Mom.

Ah, my dear Suelle. Just who taught you how to shoot? Do you even remember?

I can handle any monster I come across with this. Your mother is a stone-cold sniper, girls! Bam!

W-Wow… I’m starting to think you might be tougher than Dad, Mom.

Ugh… All that trauma from being taught how to shoot is bubbling back up again!

I can’t fight without a gun, anyway, and I’m not planning on doing anything too crazy. It just means I can walk around safely. So please, girls, there’s no need to worry about me.

…Alright.

Great! I’ll pick you up some more gifts next time I’m out. Look forward to it!
So yeah, every few days Honnete will have a set of three items for you. There’s nine sets total, this one being the first. The next eight sets are themed after each painting; Set 2 has items from the Spooky Forest, Set 3 has items from the Luminous Ice Grotto, and so forth. Anyway,

Oh right, Lydie! We have some groceries to do as soon as we get home!

Right! Best we do that, so we stop bugging everyone around us for food for a while.

Later, back at their atelier in Merveille…

Lydie, Sue! I’ve had a good catch, so I wanted to share it with… hummm, they’re not here?

The Doting Sister and Mother

Hello? Is that someone calling my name?

(You are Liane, aren’t you? Sorry, but could you come and talk with me a little?)

Who’s there?! Who are you?

(Just come downstairs. To the basement…)

Of course, the mother in the painting! Nice to meet you. I’m Liane. What did you want to talk about, then?

(I’ve heard about how much you love your sister. I’m just as crazy about my own girls. What do you say? Care to compare notes about our love for our families?)

You bet I do! Here we go!

That sounds like Mom! I’ve got a bad feeling about this…

Haha, Firis was just being so cute, I thought I was going to pass out!

(I know the feeling! Totally! We’re just powerless when faced with something cute, aren’t we?)

No… I think she’s talking to Mom? Though I have absolutely no idea how that could’ve possibly happened…

I’m the same way! She looks so fierce when she’s angry!

(Sometimes I’ll tease them just to see it! Ah, they are so cute!)

…Let’s leave them to it, Sue. I think they’ll be here a while…

Y-Yeah, looks like. Have at it, ladies…

So cute! So sweet! Ah, Firis!

(My darling Lydie! My dear Suelle! I just want to hug you to bits!)

No really, that was just… disturbing.

Disturbing sums it up real well. Let’s… find something to do around town. Anything to get our minds off of what we just saw.

Let’s.

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 12, 2019

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Part 10-3: Longing, Regrets and Bonds

The Families Left Behind

Corneria is listening to that music box again. Do you think she’s thinking about her dad?

Probably. I can’t believe she’s never even seen his face! That’s just so sad…

I know… I’ve got an idea, then! Let’s really help her in the search for her dad! We know a lot about this region, after all. Let’s ask around and collect some more information!

Yeah! For Corneria, let’s do our best! Come on!

Huh? Lydie and Sue? I wonder what they are up to…?

Anyway, Lydie… where should we start? We need to ask around… so who should we start with?

Hmm… how about Fritz? He’s staying here on Soleil Street, and he’s traveled far and wide as a puppeteer.

Sounds like a plan!

Oh? I’m all ears, girls.

Just now, we heard Corneria listening to her father’s music box, and it got us thinking…

Ah, Corneria’s father.

Oh? You’re already aware of the issue?

We’re old friends. We searched for clues while we were traveling together, but… We didn’t find any information on her father, I’m afraid.

I see. Thanks for your time!

Hmm… you know who else in town isn’t from around here? And who travels a lot and might have seen something?

Yes! Pamela! Let’s go to the church right away!

Hmm~! Our lord above, what should I do for the next church gathering?

Ugh?! G-Girls, when did you get here?

Heheh… The doors of the church are always open to little lost lambs.

That’s true, that’s true! I completely let my guard down!

Hehehe… So you’re already thinking about the next church gathering?

Yes. Planning well in advance lets me prepare and make it a better event all around. I’m always thinking, somewhere in the back of my head, how to best make everyone happy.

You’re so busy, yet always thinking about other people. That’s what I respect about you, Sister Grace!

Please. I’m not worth of your respect. In fact, this might all be considered atonement.

Whatever for?

Once, long ago, I made people close to me suffer due to my own selfishness. If I’d just thought a little more, and acted more carefully, it wouldn’t have come to this… That’s why I want to make as many people happy as I can. To make it up, maybe, to the ones I hurt.

Sister Grace…

I’m sorry, I got all depressing for a moment there.

I do have one question, if that’s alright? Aren’t you happy, at the moment?

Oh, I’m happy! I’ve got you, and Sue, and Chloe and Ines, and everyone in the city. Every day is such fun! How could I not be happy? There’s no need to worry about me. Otherwise I won’t call you to the next church gathering!

Hey, no fair! We’re not worried! Not worried about you at all!

You know, that doesn’t sound quite right either…

Hehe. Seeing you so full of energy does soothe my heart. As for them… I just hope they are as happy, wherever they are…

I hope so too, Sister…

Mmm… Anyway, Sue, remember what we’re here for?

Oh, right!

Oh? Who?

We’re looking for someone who can copy items and wears… distinctive clothing. Since you’re very well-traveled, I think you might know someone like that!

Someone who can copy items and wears strange clothing? Yes, I know who that is!

Ooh! Who? Who?!

Hehehe. Her name is Corneria. We used to live in the same town, actually!

…I should have explained that better. We’re actually looking for Corneria’s dad.

Oh, is that so? I’m sorry, I don’t know anything about her dad…

I see. Alright, thank you. We’ll try someone else.

So that’s Fritz and Pamela who don’t have any leads…

Hmm… how about Mathias, then? He’s usually stationed at the Gates of Merk, so he’d spot anyone as distinctive as Corneria or her dad coming into the city.

Right… it couldn’t hurt!

Someone from around here?

Remember, Sue, a man!

Right! So… a man with foreign-looking clothes, who has the power to multiply objects. Ring any bells?

A man in strange clothes, who can multiply objects? I’ve never heard of such a person…

That’s a shame… I thought you’d have heard some rumors for sure, Mathias.

Hmm, okay. I’ll ask around. Just don’t expect too much! There should be at least rumors about someone who stands out that much, but I’ve never heard a peep.

Yes… good point. Thank you, anyway. …Huh… so we didn’t learn anything about Corneria’s dad.

Yeah. It would’ve been really great to take some proper information back to her. I guess it can’t be helped… Let’s at least tell her that we’re willing to help.

Yeah, good idea. …I’m sorry, Corneria…

Corneria… Uhm…

What? The music from this box…?

Yeah, I think so.

Where?! Where did you hear it?!

A village I visited on a walk… It was to the east of here, if I remember correctly!

There’s only sea to the east!

Is that so? Then south, maybe? Or north-north-west?

Oh my! We won’t get any help from Drossel’s terrible sense of direction…

Hey, don’t blame me. What’s with the music box, anyway?

You see… It’s a memento from Corneria’s father, whom she’s never met. The melody you’re hearing is from his homeland, which is somewhere around Adalet. Right, Corneria?

Yes. Business opportunities aside… the prospect of meeting him again, close to his homeland, is why I set up shop here in Merveille.

Oh… I should have tried harder to remember the location! There were loads of people there dressed just like Corneria!

That sounds like exactly the place we want! Gah, I can’t take this heartbreak!

It’s alright… If you can’t remember, you can’t remember. I’ll just keep on running the shop…

No, hold on. Do you think you can trust me, Corneria?

Why do you ask…?

I’m going to go back to that place again!

Hold on! Are you sure that’s a good idea, Drossel?

Sure it is. I have a terrible sense of direction, but I’ll get there in the end, I promise! You want to see your father, right, Corneria? That’s what all your hard work has been for?

Well, yes…

Family is important, and that’s a fact. If I’m the only one who’s been there, then I have to go! Leave this to me!

Very well. I want you to take this with you, then.

Yes. For my store. Please give it to the people in that village. My name was chosen for me by my dad. So, if he is there in that village… He should recognize my name. Just give him that… that’s all you need to do.

That’s it? I could tell him to come!

No. I have my pride as a merchant. Please just promote my store. That is all.

Hahah, promote! I like that. Alright, you can count on me!

She ran off in the opposite direction of the main gates, didn’t she…

Hahaha… It’s okay. Drossel said to trust her, so that’s all we can do…

You’re right. I’ll put my trust in you, then, Drossel!

Mmm! For Corneria’s sake, let’s believe! Now, Sue, let’s go home! We have some work to do…

Right! And there’s something else I gotta do…

Mysterious Protagonists and Mysterious Voices

S-Sue! Whatever are you doing? Why are you gripping that uni so tightly?

Uwah, it’s no good. I was trying to hear its voice… You can hear the painting… and more importantly… can hear Mom, but I can’t hear a thing. That kinda made me mad, so I decided to train and listen to the materials before you can!

O-OK. I guess that makes sense. Kinda.

Hahaha! I’ll hear the materials’ voices first and have Mom praise me!

Sue, I think I need to tell you something. You see…

We were out shopping and decided to drop by. Is this okay?

Yes, of course! Right, Lydie?

Yeah, sure.

…?

Look at this piece of meat right here! Let’s cook and eat it together!

Uwah! I’ll get ready at once! Meat, meat, time to eat!

Oh, Sue…

Liane taught me how to prepare this… okay! Dig in, everyone!

Ah, meat is such a vital part of life. It just makes me feel so satisfied!

It really was good! I could eat that everyday!

But are you sure this was alright? That meat looked really expensive…

You’re kidding! How would you even know something like that?

You don’t believe me? I’m not lying! I can hear the voices of materials, after all!

What?! You can? You can hear them?!

Hehe, that’s right! My Miss Sophie can hear them too, actually.

Yes, I can. But it seems Firis can hear more types than I can.

Yes. I’ve got particular confidence in listening to ores and meat!

Ores, I understand, but meat? That just sounds like you being hungry…

Hahaha, maybe. All of the meat Firis listens to is always saying it wants to be eaten!

T-That’s not true! I’m just telling you what the materials are saying!

So Firis and Sophie can listen to the materials as well? I’ll get there myself one day, you’ll see! But for now… there’s a Weapon Core I need…

We have plenty of good ingredients for this. Like the Gold Eisen and the Rainbow Neutralizer. And the Chaotic Dirt that those giant black monsters in the paintings drop is a really potent catalyst…

Even then, we have very little room for error if we want to maximize this Weapon Core’s potential…

Hmm… I dunno if this’ll do it…

With an Enhancer, it will!

There we go! Still, though… I feel even now, we don’t really have good traits to work with for Weapon Cores. Or accessories.

Meh… anyway, it’s past midnight! Wanna check in with Corneria after we wake up?

Sure!

A Future Payoff

Corneria… Drossel hasn’t come back yet, has she?

No. But I will keep on waiting…

Drossel! Welcome back. So?

Hahah! The promotion was a big success! It just took a bit longer than I expected.

T-Thank you so much! And my father?

Hehe! There was this one person who reacted to the name at once, and even cried. I’m pretty sure that was your father, Corneria.

Really…?!

That settles it, doesn’t it?

Yes. We can only wait now and see if my father comes…

Hahaha… It feels like Sue and I haven’t done anything useful…

No, that’s not true. You told me about Corneria’s shop in the first place. Without your promotion, none of this would have happened! What do you say, Corneria? How about making these two your promotion agents?

Promotion agents? That sounds like a good idea. I think they may be perfectly suited.

I don’t mind! With my charm and my voice, I’ll bring in more customers than you can handle!

Hahaha, me too. If you’ll let us do what we can between our other work, we’ll help however we can!

Very well. I’ll need to find something to reward you with, won’t I? Lydie, Sue, and you, Drossel. Thank you so much for everything you’ve done!

Right! Mysterious friendships…

Yeah. We’ve gotten to befriend so many amazing people through our line of work… I’ll cherish them as long as I live!

Well said!

Later that day…

Uni Buster

Lydie, you’re synthesizing? Oh, you’ve made a burning boom-boom!

I assure you I haven’t?

What? That, right there. Look! Burning boom-boom!

It’s a bomb! Where’s that strange name coming from?

I think mine is better. Much more descriptive!

I’m not sure about that… What about this one, then?

Okay… This one?

Uwah, you’re losing me here. There’s not even any logic to your naming conventions…

Of course not! Being bound by logic goes completely against being an alchemist!

You might be right there, but no one else is going to understand those crazy names.

I don’t think that’s true, either. The general masses will love my touch of flair!

…I knew Sue liked giving things odd names, but I wasn’t aware it was this serious… Uwah, maybe she’s started taking after Dad? As her sister, should I be warning her?

Sorry, Lydie, but you’re wrong there. It’s not me she’s taking after here…

(What are you talking about? It’s just a bomb.)

(Bah! Alchemists sure love to give things dull names. I thought you were creative?)

(Go on, then. What kind of names do you want?)

(Let’s see now, for example…)

(But why not call it an Uni Buster? Or at least something with a bit more punch?)

(It still isn’t really telling anyone what it does, though, does it?)

OK, what about this, then?

Uni Buster? You know what, that one might actually work…

Honnete… Your spirit lives on, in them. …Some of the weirdest parts of it, anyway.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Of course not! Being bound by logic goes completely against being an alchemist!

Atelier.txt

The Ar Tonelico post-crafting conversations were amazing in this regard.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Omobono posted:

Atelier.txt

The Ar Tonelico post-crafting conversations were amazing in this regard.

Yeah post-crafting convos are few and far in between in L&S (and I don't even think we'll see our next ones for a good while yet), though there's some pretty hilarious stuff tucked away in the encyclopedia entries.

Of course I guess everything that comes after the twins help Roger out with one of his wacky recipes counts as this too, and they're almost always hilarious!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Hahaha, maybe. All of the meat Firis listens to is always saying it wants to be eaten!

T-That's not true! I'm just telling you what the materials are saying!

I AM FLESH. CONSUME ME AND GAIN MY POWER. NO SHUT UP YOU'RE WEIRD.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Glazius posted:

I AM FLESH. CONSUME ME AND GAIN MY POWER. NO SHUT UP YOU'RE WEIRD.

Look I'm just saying, there's a reason she grew 7cm taller over the four years since the beginning of her home game

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Part 10-4: The Mysterious, Mysterious Story

Sister Graaaaace!

Girls, you’re just on time. I need your opinion on something. Do you have any requests for the next church gathering?

Toward The Next Social

B-Both of you… You liked it that much, did you?

Yes, it was great. That last puppet show was so moving!

Same here! I want to see more!

In that case… Maybe we should invite an actual performer in to help us out…

Haha, that sounds like my cue! I heard what you just said, and you can leave this to me!

Huh? What do you mean?

I think we can expect a discount, too. How about I ask him and see what he says?

Yes, that sounds like a good idea. …One thing, though, Pamela, just so you know. I’m very particular about my puppet theatre! Before I was a nun, I was a professional puppeteer, after all.

What?! Really?!

That’s why your puppet show was so good! Finally, it all makes sense!

Hahaha, it’ll be fine. I’m sure they’ll more than satisfy you.

Very well. Let’s give them a try, shall we?

Okay! I’ll go and make the arrangements!

…They must be good, to win Pamela over… I wonder what they are like? I can’t wait to find out! Let’s see if they can move and stir my soul! Hahaha!

I guess her puppeteer blood is getting all fired up! Hahaha, if that’s a thing. Anyway, Lydie… ever wondered how these things get made? Grace’s were of cloth, and…

You know another puppeteer in town who makes very different puppets, right? Let’s go right away!

Pamela’s Request

Hmm, I see. So that’s what you’re into, Mr. Fritz?

Hey, I didn’t say that! I’m talking about puppet-making, that’s all…

Another guest? Shall I let them in?

Yes, please.

Yes? Who is it?

Uwaaaah! P-P-P-Pamela!

A magician never reveals her tricks!

Hahaha, never change. What is it? How can I help?

Good question! I’m here to request a puppet show from you.

I see, you want a performance. Where?

At the church. We hold these church gatherings, and we’d like you to be a part of it.

I knew it. The puppeteer you were talking about was Mr. Fritz!

That’s right. Fritz is the best puppeteer I’ve seen!

Heh, an honor that you think so… Very well. I accept your request. Hahaha! Drossel and I will put on our greatest performance yet, I promise!

Great to hear! I’ll come by again with the details soon. Thanks!

…Hahaha, this is exciting! Let’s start the preparations at once!

Mr. Fritz, we’ll be at the church gathering too.

We’re really looking forward to the puppet show already!

Leave it to us, then! Hahaha!

All’s well that ends well! Crazy laugh aside…

I can’t sleep, I’m so excited for it! Hurry up! Hurry up and hold it!

Calm down, girls. I am almost ready, don’t worry. Pamela has made the request, too. Now we’re just waiting for the puppeteer to be ready.

Uwah! I’m getting all excited waiting for this!

Please! Just don’t forget to let us know!

M-Me too! We’ll flood you out with our tears!

That sounds quite terrible… Hehe, don’t worry. I’ll call you when the day comes, just like before. Just wait until then, please. Alright?

Yes…

Anyway, Lydie! You know how we don’t have enough Coll to go around sometimes? Well, I thought of something that would help a ton!

A Lucky Coin, huh…? Looks like we’ll need some pretty primo ingredients for this one… but you have to invest money to make money, I guess!

Sigh… I guess this is the best we can do for now. Let’s get this done and catch some shut-eye after.

The morning after…

An Awkward Social

Hey, great! We’ll be right there!

I’ve been waiting for you, girls! Welcome to our Open Air Theater!

Open air? So it’s going to be outside this time?

That’s right. Sometimes, a change of pace can be nice. I think the puppeteer will be here soon…

Ah, here they come! We’re over here, Fritz! Drossel!

Sorry for taking so long to get here. We don’t come this way often.

You always chew others out for getting lost, Dad! So you shouldn’t be doing it yourself!

Hey, even I get lost sometimes! Ahem, anyway, we shouldn’t be doing this in front of the client.

Hehehe, let me introduce you. This is the host of our event today: Sister Grace!

It’s been… a while.

What’s this? You all know each other?

Yes… she’s my wife.

Whaaaaaaat?! Which means…

That’s right… And my mom.

I’m sorry, but can you please get ready? It’s almost time for us to start.

S-Sure.

Sister?…

One very awkward puppet show later…

Thank you so much! That’s the end of our performance for today!

Ugh… The long-awaited puppet show, and I couldn’t focus at all!

Me neither… This revelation about Sister Grace is just too shocking…

Sorry, Pamela. Can you handle the rest of this?

…No problem.

Mr. Fritz, can we ask… is Sister Grace really your wife?

That doesn’t sound like you!

Well, it’s true. We were so wrapped up in our puppets, we ignored her. We’ve been working to perfect the ultimate puppet show in order to explain our feelings to her…

But having seen her again, I’m not sure we can… She’s living a pretty full life now, isn’t she?

Yes… She might be happier if we just leave her alone.

Oh, Mr. Fritz! Drossel! Are you really sure about that?

Sister Grace is inside the church. I’m sure she has something to say about this…

Grace’s Regrets

It’s about Fritz and Drossel, correct? You girls really are so kind. …Fritz is my husband, and Drossel is my daughter. That is true. And I’m the one who made them unhappy… That’s a fact, too.

Unhappy? You mentioned something like that before. But what do you mean?

The two of them have suffered so much, all because I left them. Fritz and Drossel always looked so happy, talking about their puppets, with me on the sidelines. That made me so lonely, and so sad, that I just couldn’t bear it anymore… Honestly, thinking back on it now, I was just being bitter…

Oh, Sister Grace…

I’m glad to see them looking so happy now, though. That’s all I can ask for. Praise God!

Hold on! Aren’t you going to try and reconcile with them?

After all this time? Impossible. I wouldn’t even know what to say to them. Will you please give them both a message from me? Tell them to be happy.

Psst. Let’s go home to mull on this, Sue.

Toward Reconciliation and Reunion

It annoys me! Makes me mad, to be honest! Why can’t she just be honest about her feelings? Mr. Fritz, and Drossel, and Sister Grace too! They’re all thinking of each other!

I know. They want to make up! But they can’t get past all of that history… It seems like they haven’t seen each other for a long time. They don’t know what to do.

But it’s so simple! All they need to do is say “I’m sorry”! Share their feelings!

Yep, that’s all. They just need something to trigger the whole thing.

Hmm, a trigger… I think there’s only one possible choice, right?

I bet we’re thinking the same thing! The only thing that can possibly bring them back together!

A puppet show!

It’ll probably be faster to persuade Mr. Fritz. He was hoping to use the show to win her back, after all.

Yeah, I think that’s the best approach. Let’s go and see what he says!

Race you there! Mr. Fritz! Drossel!

Don’t tell me! Monsters are attacking?

Nothing like that! Let’s put on a puppet show!

What? Where’s this coming from?

You need to put on a puppet show. To help you get back together with Sister Grace!

Look, I appreciate the idea… But, like I said, she’s living a full and rich life.

That’s right. We don’t have the right to damage the happiness she has made for herself. So I’m sorry, but we can’t. Sorry if you thought up any ideas.

The happiness she has made…? Sister Grace told us that she made you unhappy by leaving.

What? She said that?

And you two said that Sister Grace leaving you was your own fault, right? Both sides think it was their own fault… You actually want to apologize, don’t you? Deep down, you all want to make up and live together again, don’t you?

That’s why I think, if you can be together, you should! While you still can! Mr. Fritz! Drossel! You’ve finally, finally met up with Sister Grace again! In which case, don’t think about it too much! Just try and make up!

Lydie… Sue…

Of course… Because of your mother… Dad… I don’t think we can win this one.

Yeah, this isn’t like us… Hahaha! We need to use the greatest puppet show here…

And make up with Mom! Thank you, girls. You’ve given us the wake-up call we needed.

Great!

Let’s prepare, then, without letting Sister Grace notice… We need to surprise her!

Hahaha, a big surprise! In which case, we need to touch up the script and the puppets!

Ah… Girls, could you arrange a venue for us?

Leave it to us! I’m sure Pamela can help us sort something out.

Hmm. In which case, let’s make this reunion show a success!

OK!

Pamela is really important here… she knows the entire Weissberg family, and can help us sneak this under Sister Grace’s nose.

Making Up and Manzai

Yes, what is it? Some mischief? A surprise attack? Hehe, I can’t wait!

Hehehe, you’re almost right… More like, a surprise social! Another puppet show to get Sister Grace, Mr. Fritz and Drossel back together!

I see. I’ll help however I can, then!

Great! Thank you, Pamela! Now we need to think up an actual plan!

Right. How about we dress it up like a normal church gathering?

Hey, that’s a good idea… We’ll tell her that we want to organize one ourselves! So we’ll pretend it’s just a church gathering, and then bring out the surprise puppet show!

Great! This will knock her socks off!

Kyaaah! S-S-Sister Grace! I’m not planning anything!

Psst! Girls, it’s do or die! Just follow my lead here. …It can’t be helped if you overheard us. The twins want to hold a church gathering.

Ah, that’s right! You always work so hard on them…

So we wanted to give you a break and let you enjoy yourself once in a while.

Is that so? Well, there’s no need to keep it a secret! But in any case… Very well. I accept your proposal to hold your own gathering.

Great! Thank you, Sister Grace!

Not at all. I’m looking forward to it already.

Nice. Now we just have to wait for Mr. Fritz to be ready…

One thing, twins… Have you decided what it is you want to do?

Do? You mean, at the gathering?

Oh, that sounds hilarious! I can’t wait to see it.

Y-Yeah, that’s right. Ahem! “Young lady, is this the Soleil Street?”

“On my soul it is!” Hahaha!

Hahaha! That’s funny! I can’t wait to see more!

…Phew, it worked out somehow… Thank you so much, Pamela.

Hehe, no problem. One thing, though…

Uwah, no need to rub it in… I’m really embarrassed already!

A few days of practice and puppetry and penning later…

The Mysterious, Mysterious Story

Hahaha! We’ve made the ultimate puppets, and the ultimate script!

Really? Great! We’ve got the venue ready.

It might be a bit sudden, then, but let’s do the show tomorrow! The sooner, the better!

Well said. Tomorrow it is!

You should be looking forward to it as well, girls. Part of it is based on you!

Hehe. See you later!

Right. We have to let Sister Grace know!

Yeah!

Right, Sue. Are you ready?

Perfect! Off we go!

Ah, Sister Grace. Sorry for all the rush.

Oh, I don’t mind at all. This is your gathering, after all.

Hehehe! Good luck with your comedy routine!

Thanks! Ah, it looks like it’s time to start. We’ll see you later!

Gentlemen and girls! Boys and ladies! Welcome, everyone!

Calm down… ahem! We’re here to thrill you with our comedy, but first! We’ve called in two special guests! Here we go!

What’s this!

We’ve been called in by our hosts to put on a show for you today! For the most important person in our lives!

…!

Without further ado, then, let’s get started! Take it away!

Listen now, to our story of the friendship between four alchemists.
One is a kind girl who met a living book. Another, a lively girl who dreamed of the outside world.
And then, two twins, living together as they keep their promises to their departed mother.
The footsteps of home, in which they tread. The endless dream, for which they aim!
Do not blink, for fear of what you’ll miss! This is our ultimate tale. Its name…

Oh…!

Ohhhhhhhhhhh…!!!

Once all was said and done…

Ah! I’m exhausted! We had to do our comedy routine in the end, too!

That was unexpected, but the audience loved it, so that’s what really matters.

What! I didn’t think anyone would notice. I can’t believe you saw that!

I saw it too, actually, although I just covered for it.

Haha, you’re still not quite there yet. Your ad-libbing was so obvious!

Gah! As strict as ever, Mom…

Only because my love of puppet theater is as strong as your own!

Hehe. Come on, Sue.

Yeah. We need to go and practice our routine!

It’s too late for that now! Hahaha!

…Right! Firis! Later, we oughta drop by the Weissberg House and congratulate them for a job well done.

Yes! Especially since we were the stars of the show, in a way…

The Final Encore

A Mysterious, Mysterious Story! It was so great! You based it on us, too! It made me really happy.

We should be thank you you. You two live such rich and interesting lives! The perfect material for the ultimate puppet theater!

You said it, Drossel. The mini Plachta and new full-size Firis really worked well, too.

Haha! That Firis puppet suddenly coming out like that really surprised me!

Really? You didn’t? Well, it’s all for the sake of great entertainment. I hope that’s alright.

I guess she is one of the stars… I suppose I don’t mind.

Yes, to tell them how much we loved their show at the church. I’ve been their biggest fan for years!

Me too! It was so moving, we just had to thank them!

Hey, so you were in the audience? …Hold on! That means…

Ah… Ah! You can just forget all that!

Hahaha! Fritz, Drossel. The story about these two was really good, too, wasn’t it?

Yes. Whatever lies in their future, I’m sure they’ll be very happy. That’s why I ended it with a full-blown happy ending! Hehe, I’m very proud of that script.

You should be! I’m proud to have you as my daughter, Drossel!

Thanks, Dad! Now, seeing as you’re all here…

I know exactly what you’re thinking. Time to put on an encore performance!

Hold it, Firis. Don’t make fun of us!

I want to see the puppet show, but I’ve had enough of the stage for now!

Hahaha, no worries. Sounds like we’re up, Drossel!

You can count on me, Dad! Let’s move these folks right out of their seats!

Let’s!

Later that day…

It doesn’t matter how many times you ask! I’m not going to budge!

Please, Fritz! I know we can work something out!

The Puppeteer’s Deal

Now you’re just getting carried away. It’s not like this is a matter of life or death!

Oh, but it is! My life would be completely different! So… please! I’m begging you!

No! She’s an important part of the show. I can’t give her to anyone… yes, even you!

Ugh… Very well.

Phew, have you finally given up? You are normally so calm and collected, honestly…

How about this!

I do run a shop. Firis won’t take my charity, so it just piles up!

Pile away! No matter what you offer, I’m not going to sell…

I’m not asking you to sell her. I’m asking you to make me a new one! This is more than enough money, surely? Or would you turn down a paying customer, Fritz?

…Hahahaha! I give up. I can’t beat you, clearly. Very well. I’ll use this money to make you the ultimate life-sized Firis!

Yes! I can hardly wait!

…Boy, she hasn’t changed a bit, either. Firis is lucky to have someone who cares for her so much.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Part 10-5: Goals and Potential

The Path to the Top

That’s right. One step away from S Rank, the highest! Then we’ll be the greatest in the kingdom!

Just one question. If someone becomes S Rank before we do, what then? Apparently no one is S Rank at the moment, but you could easily be overtaken.

Yes, well. We’ve decided not to worry about that too much. Everyone will be the same if they’re all S Rank. So everyone will be the greatest, all together. We’ll work on becoming the greatest S Rank together after we’ve reached S Rank, is all.

Interesting. Very practical, especially coming from my daughters! Just who do you take after?

Hmmm… I think I’m going to just take a walk!

Ah, he ran for it! Some things never change… But at least he’s making an effort now.

Hahaha. Anyway, we’re almost there. About to complete our promise with Mom! …Ah!

Huh? What now, Lydie? Got a tummy ache?

No, silly. I just remembered that we haven’t found an answer to Firis’ question yet.

Right, of course. What do we want to use alchemy for after we become the greatest atelier? It’s still a good question… What do we want to use alchemy for?

I’ve got an idea. Let’s both think for a while, separately, about what we want to do. After a bit of time has passed, we’ll compare our ideas.

Hey, good idea! I’m going to think up some really great ideas, you’ll see! But first, we have to focus on the goal ahead of us first. …And the rival who’s keeping us on our toes as we strive toward that goal.

Right. Speaking of that rival…

Yeah. It’s about time we answered for it…

Borthayre’s Pride

Of course! You forced me to drink that horrible stuff, for a start! I’m fuming! Seriously… What was that stuff?

A potion that swaps the minds of the drinkers. You and Sue were swapped over, for a little while.

…What?

This might make you even madder, but while we were swapped, I looked at your notebook, Lucia!

We’re sorry, Lucia, that we didn’t realize just how much you’re thinking of us.

It’s not what you think! My pen slipped! It isn’t like I wanted to see you, not at all!

Come now. There’s no need to lie.

I’m not! Ah, I can’t believe you read that! I just want to curl up and die!

We’re sorry, Lucia. It turns out you’re a lot busier than we thought, as well.

We can help you, if you like? You don’t need to pay us or anything… All you have to do is ask!

No, I don’t need your help. I’m the head of the prestigious Atelier Borthayre, and your big sister, after all. My pride won’t let me accept any help from you!

Really? You got us to make that one item for you, didn’t you?

Ah! That was… I didn’t really… even want to do that…

Lucia…?

Meanwhile, just outside…

Alchemist, Archer, Archaeologist, Actor

Yes. Most impressive, Firis. You’ve completely mastered all those techniques I taught you.

What are the odds we’d run into these three over here…?

Wow, this is a rare combination. Have you been watching a play, Firis?

No, she wasn’t. She was performing in one, actually!

What? Performing?! Firis?! With dolls?!

Yeah. I’ve traveled with Drossel and Fritz in the past. Quite a lot happened then, too.

Firis is a pretty skilled performer! She puts a lot of energy into her script.

Hahaha, thank you for saying that! I’d better get going, anyway.

Of course. Liane will be worried if you don’t get back soon.

That was a great performance today, Firis. See you soon!

Like I said, we should get her to list up the stuff she can’t do. She’s a great alchemist, to boot! Uwah! I might be about to turn green with envy. Do you think she’s using alchemy to control time?

Hahaha, I’m not sure it’s anything that extreme. But there still might be some secret to it… Hmmm. How about just asking Firis straight up?

Yeah, that does seem like the fastest way. Let’s find out how she can do all this stuff!

Right! We’ll go to Firis’ tent via Soleil…Oh!

Yes, please wrap that up for me. Thank you.

Alt! Are you doing some shopping?

Alchemy and Altruism

Of course there are. This is the biggest street in Merveille! So many sellers, so many buyers! You know…

…Lydie, Sue. Keep that woman here, will you?

Alt? What’s gotten into him, all of a sudden?

I don’t think we have any choice but to do as he asked. …Hello? Excuse me?

Well… maybe we can help you? It seems you’re in trouble.

:smith: Well, my boy has caught a cold. I came to get some medicine, but it’s more expensive than I thought.

Hmm, I see… Even with all the new alchemists, medicine is still expensive.

Looks like it. Sounds like we’ve got some synthesis to…

No need for that. …Here, give this to your child.

I don’t need any money. That’s of little concern to me. What’s important here is… Your child is suffering, correct? Give him this in water three times a day, after eating. He’ll soon be better.

:unsmith: Ah…! Thank you! Thank you so much!

…Hey. How did you know her child had a cold?

From the things she said, and the medicine she was looking at, it was obvious.

Not to me it wasn’t!

That’s just experience, I guess. You’ll get there eventually.

Off he goes… You know, I’m starting to think Alt might be even more of a softy than we are!

Yeah. Alt was really something back there. I wonder if I’ll really ever be able to do that…

There’s one very quick way to find out, right? Just drop into his atelier and ask him to help get us to that level!

Alt! Let me read some of your alchemy books!

I hate reading, so teach me something!

Potential Realized…?

Hehe. We want to become alchemists just like you, Alt!

Alchemists like me? I’m not sure that’s a good idea. You could stand to aim a lot higher than me, surely.

Higher?

Yes. I’m too low of a goal for you. You need to be ready to master alchemy!

Master… alchemy…!

You have that potential. You could create an entire new age of alchemy. That’s why I want you to become alchemists that surpass me by far. I know you can do it.

Alt! Very well. It won’t be easy, but we promise to overtake you!

Hehe. That’s the way.

For that reason too, then! Please teach us alchemy!

Haha, seems I can’t talk myself out of giving you a lesson. Very well, I’ll do what I can. But you might find my methods pretty boring! There are no shortcuts in alchemy. I just repeat the basics and then apply them. No frills here! Can you accept that?

Of course! We’ll definitely get better with you teaching us, Alt!

Very well. Let’s get started. No taking this back once we’re underway, though? Understand?

First Ilmeria, and now Alt… Why do all alchemists have to be so hardcore…?

Hmm, did I overdo it a little? Oh well… this is how it’s got to be! This is the path all alchemists have to walk! Hahaha!

Alt has acquired the skill “Leader of Prophecy”.

Leader of Prophecy - Reduce elemental damage inflicted against you.

Nngh… oh, since we’re still here, we oughta check on Lucia. Something seemed REALLY off about her earlier…

Even more than usual? …I’m kidding! Let’s go!

The Rival Unraveling

There’s food on the cauldron. If you need some spices, take the mixing stick…

No, that’s not why we’re here. And are you okay, Lucia? You’re not making much sense!

Am I not? Sorry, I wasn’t paying attention…

This is bad. A serious case! You look exhausted. Are you sure you’re alright?

Yes, I’m fine. I love working!

Oh… Really?

Really. I need to work as much as I can, raise my reputation and earn lots and lots of money. That’s why I’m going to hang a Puni in a goblet from the ceiling and poke it with my stick!

Yeah… Lucia, try to take a break, okay?

Of course I will! After I’ve washed this holy water and put bricks in the furnace!

She’s making even less sense now… oh right! I almost forgot, it’s about time we learned all Firis’ secrets!

Goals for Travel

Uwah, what’s up? You’re completely hyper today, aren’t you?

We’ve got something to ask you! You can do all sorts of stuff, right? We were wondering if there’s a reason for that… some kind of secret to your success?

Nope, no secret. I just like trying all sorts of things. I like traveling, right? And during those travels, I’ve been taught things by all these different people.

I see. So you picked this stuff up as you traveled around!

Yes! The Firis you know was made with the help of many different people. I’m very grateful to them all! …Sorry, did that come off as patronizing?

No, not at all! Hey, Sue… Maybe we should head out and travel a bit, too?

Yes! Experience the world a bit more! I’d like to learn to play a musical instrument.

Haha, that would suit you, Sue! As for myself… I’d like to make some beautiful clothes.

Head out into the world and I’m sure you’ll be able to learn both of those things. It’s a big place out there, after all! You can do pretty much anything you set your minds to!

Gah! Lydie! I just want to head out there right away!

Wow, Sue! Me too, I guess! But first, we need to become the greatest atelier in the kingdom, don’t we?

OK. I know! Let’s buy some travel guidebooks! That should make us feel like we’ve taken a trip!

Great idea! Let’s go to the bookstore at once. Firis, thanks for talking to us!

…Their eyes were really sparkling! I wonder if that’s what I looked like? Back when I left Ertona for the very first time, all those years ago…

…Alright! A great haul of travel books, if I do say so myself. Still though, Lydie…

I know! Sorry for keeping us at the bookstore so late… at least now, we can catch some shut eye!

Mmm! Still though, it’s hard to sleep now… after thinking about how Lucia was earlier. Like she was this close to snapping…

Lucia Out of the Nest

I don’t know. My brother just said she left and hasn’t come back!

Gah! Lucia, what are you playing at? Lydie, let’s go look for her!

OK! I have a good idea where we might find her.

Me too. Let’s go at once! Just don’t get any silly ideas, Lucia!

Off we go. To the place where we played as kids. Where we’d go to escape the watchful eyes of our parents…

Lydie… Sue…

I thought you might be here. We’ve been looking for you!

Just running out of the house like that… A bold move, for you. What’s wrong?

Ah, nothing… I just wanted a change of pace. I can’t believe it’s this time of the night already!

Lucia, you can be honest. You were sick of all the work, weren’t you?

N-Not at all. I already told you, I love working.

You’re lying. The notes in that notebook weren’t written by someone who loves their work!

Lucia… You don’t have to hide things from us. Work is difficult, isn’t it? No one is going to blame you for admitting it!

Lydie is right. We’re friends, Lucia. You can tell us the truth!

Gah… very well! Yes, you’re right!

But I’m the head of Atelier Borthayre! I can’t ask for help, and I have to work hard! That’s why I’m working without sleeping! Why I’m pushing myself so hard! So what’s wrong with that? I ask you, what’s wrong!

Everything…

Yep, pretty much everything.

What?

Your problem, Lucia, is that you never ask for help.

That’s right. We might not seem all that reliable, but you can lean on us if you have to!

No, I can’t. What will happen to the name of Atelier Borthayre if I do that?

Hold on. Remember, you’ve already asked us to help you, right?

You were so busy, you needed our help, right? But with your pride in the way, you made it look like you tricked us. Throw that pride away!

That’s right. When things are tough, you can speak up! Just tell the truth about how you’re feeling. If you do that, we’ll help you, Lucia.

A-Are you sure…? You’ll really… help me? …I’m older than you both, after all. I should be setting an example…

Don’t worry about that! Leave it to us, “big sis”!

Age doesn’t matter. When times are tough, we have to get through them together. We want you to always be laughing “ohohohoho”!

Girls… Thank you. Thank you!

Hehe. Come on, let’s get you home. Everyone is worried about you.

OK!

Lucia has acquired the skill “Hidden Talents”.

Hidden Talents - Increase maximum MP.

Crisis averted! I hope our uncle can be more understanding about Lucia’s needs from now on, though.

Mmm. Still though… by now, we’ve burned through all the travel books we bought. And I’m still thirsting for more!

Me too… Maybe we need to pay Firis another visit, then! Hear about her epic adventures, straight from Firis herself!

Firis, Burning Alchemist!

We’ve been holding it in, but these guidebooks just don’t work anymore!

Hahah, I’m happy to talk as much as you like. I love chatting about this stuff!

Great! I should have known, Firis. No more time to waste, then!

Which story next, then? How about the time I went to some flying islands in an airship? Or when I fought that bone monster in those ruins? Or when that big monster almost carried me off!

Uwah! They all sound great, I can’t choose!

I’ll just tell them in order, then. First, the airship…

A ton of potential Atelier Firis spoilers later…

And so, barely defeating Ilmeria, I had to fight Miss Sophie for the final exam!

Uwah! Not sure where the episodic format came from, but you’ve lived quite a wild life!

Tell me about it. I’ve read novels with less twists and turns, Firis!

These are my treasured memories, after all. I’ll never forget any of them, as long as I live.

Treasures…! I love the sound of that! We need to travel and get some treasures of our own!

Right! Loads of them!

Hehe. That’s it for today, anyway. I’ve kept you for too long already. Come again anytime, though.

Great! I can’t wait! Let’s get going, Lydie!

Wait for me, Sue! We need to get home and start making our own travel plans!

A new Combination Art for Sue and Firis “Firis and Sue Surprise” is unlocked.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh great, now we're going to get dragged into the seedy underbelly of puppet theater and fight the Five Deadly Marionettes.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Just caught up with this and dang, this game is hecka charming. I love seeing some of the long running plot threads get wrapped up too, like with Drossel and Fritz.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Shirec posted:

Just caught up with this and dang, this game is hecka charming. I love seeing some of the long running plot threads get wrapped up too, like with Drossel and Fritz.

Good news, you'll be seeing plenty of the long-running plot threads getting wrapped up soon, since the game only has 2 more chapters for the non-party members (and for the party members, their friendship levels are getting high enough that we'll be closing them out sooner rather than later). Corneria, for instance! Mostly, anyway; now her father knows she's in Merveille, but he isn't gonna haul his rear end into town this chapter.

Speaking of which, there's some long-running plot threads for which it's honestly kind of impressive that the game has either kept mum about or just coyly hinted at up to this point. Stay tuned!

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Also just read through the entire LP. It's a wonderful LP and has inspired me to finally get into this series. Which game would you recommend to start? Platform is a non issue.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Luminaflare posted:

Also just read through the entire LP. It's a wonderful LP and has inspired me to finally get into this series. Which game would you recommend to start? Platform is a non issue.

This very game is a pretty good starting point, as someone who calls this my first Atelier game and liked it more than enough to not only get into the series, but start LPing it! In the Atelier megathread in the games subforum, folks also recommend Rorona (preferably the Plus version on the Vita or the DX version on the Switch) as a solid starting point; you can also get the entire Arland DX trilogy on Switch bundled together (it goes Rorona -> Totori -> Meruru). If you have a PS3 or Vita, folks generally also really like Ayesha and Escha & Logy (first and second games of the Dusk trilogy).

Also of note, in a few weeks Atelier Lulua (the new Arland game) is coming out; from what I've read so far, it's a solid starting point in its own right, but you'll enjoy it much more if you already played the OG Arland trilogy.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Part 10-6: Revels, Rivals and Royalty

Alright, Lydie! What’s on the agenda for today?

A Mark of Trust

This sounds very formal. What’s up, Mathias?

You seem a lot more serious than normal.

With good reason. My dad has been laid up in a bed with a cold.

Your dad, Mathias? …You mean the king?! T-This does sound serious!

Yes, it does! But wait… There hasn’t been any mention of this in the proclamations?

Under my father’s orders. He doesn’t want to worry the people. …It’s more than a common cold, though. He needs to take some special medicine. So we need you to make it, very quietly. Can we trust you with this?

Of course. Are you sure you’ve come to the right place, though?

Surely Ilmeria, or Firis, would be better choices to make medicine for the king himself?

Mathias…! Very well. We’ve got this!

We’ll make some medicine to have your dad up and about in no time!

Great! Thanks! I’ll be waiting at the Gates of Merk when you’ve got it ready. House Adalet is counting on you!

You know what this means, right, Lydie? The whole royal family believes in us! We’ve really moved up in the world!

Right! So we have to make this the best cold medicine they can get! Not just for the king… but to repay their trust!

We have all the ingredients, too… Let’s begin!

48 hours… so we well and truly haven’t a moment to spare!

While that’s going on…

The Alchemists Go Gardening

Perfect, Miss Sophie! She’ll love it here, with all these new friends!

OK. Without further ado, then… Especially since we’ve a lot of seeds…

Phew! Thanks for your help, Miss Sophie!

Oh, think nothing of it. I’ve got a bone to pick with Oskar, though! Taking half your seeds and going off on his own! How selfish!

Don’t be too hard on him. He was all fired up to scatter those seeds across the world! I bet he’s roamed far and wide now, making friends for her everywhere he goes!

Hehe, I bet you’re right. Oskar can really set his mind to something, huh!

He sure can!

Right. Let’s water and fertilize these and then get back to the atelier.

Good idea! Chelsea… you grow up big and strong here, surrounded by all your friends!

Perfect! Now let’s rush this over to Mathias!

Let’s! It was only a cold, said Mathias, but I hope we’re in time…

Delivery and Decisions

Mathias! We’ve made the medicine you wanted!

That’s great! Thank you so much! With this, I’m sure Dad will get better. That’s a big relief.

Phew, all our hard work was worth it. We hope the king gets better soon!

Me too. This has made me realize how old he is getting, though. Even a cold is no joke anymore… It’s about time for someone to succeed the throne and put him at ease. And… I think… that’s my duty.

Mathias…

Hey, girls. Do you think that’s what I should do? Do you think I can really become king?

Yeah, I do. Lydie, you too, right?

Yeah, of course! You study hard, Mathias, and you’re strong and reliable too!

Hahaha, me neither… but I feel the same. I’m sure you can be a great king, Mathias. …Promise with Mom Number 5! “Take action rather than worry!” You just need to give it a try. You can’t judge anything until you’ve experienced it!

That’s right. Otherwise, we’ll have to start calling you the King of the Wastrels again!

Hahaha. No, thanks, please don’t do that. …Thank you, Lydie, Sue. You’ve cheered me up a bit. I’d better get this medicine to my dad, anyway. See you later!

Hehe. He looked a little more cheerful, didn’t he?

Yes. I’m glad we were able to help him, even just a little. Anyway… wanna drop by Firis’ tent later?

Sure! I bet we’ll see something amazing…

Behind Every Master Alchemist

Ah, sorry for the trouble, Liane.

Liane. I seem to have misplaced my encyclopedia…

Ah, I know where that is. I put it on the table over there.

I see. Thank you very much, that’s a big help.

Yes, yes. It will be ready soon, just wait a little longer.

Great! What’s on the menu today?

Hehehe… Peppers stuffed with meat.

Blegh! I don’t need the peppers!

You don’t get to pick and choose, either. …Ah! It’s Lydie and Sue! Sorry, I only just noticed you there… Are you looking for anyone in particular?

No, we just dropped in to see what’s happening… You really are incredible, Liane!

Incredible? Whatever do you mean?

The housework! All this housework! You’ve tidied Sophie’s dirty room all the way up!

Then you told Plachta the location of her missing book!

And then you handled Firis’ picky eating without batting an eyelid!

You’re wonderful, truly! Every home should have one of you!

Hehe, thank you. I’ve always loved taking care of a home, and everyone living in it. …I know! Why don’t you both eat with us? I’ll make something really delicious, I promise!

Thank you! That sounds lovely!

Liane, I’ll give you a hand in the kitchen…

I’ll set the table…

I’ll do my best to eat as many peppers as I can, Liane…

…What’s gotten into the three of you, now?

Hahaha! I think the way of life of Firis and the others is only possible because of Liane!

Guess we gotta hand it to her. Anyway, Sue, we oughta go home and catch some shut eye. We’ve a lesson with Ilmeria bright and early…

Bah! Don’t remind me…

The next morning…

Alright! Let’s-

Revelers from Kirchen Bell

Uwah, that surprised me. Was that Sophie’s voice?

I think so.

She even comes to my defense when Plachta gets angry with me! I really love her, you know?

I see, I see. …Ah, excuse me. One beer, please.

:discourse: I told you once, already. You’re still a child. No alcohol for you. Here’s some M-I-L-K for you.

I’ve been an adult for quite a while, though…

Plachta is really kind, though, too…! She massaged my shoulders the other day!! “Are you OK, Sophie? You need to release some of this tension.” Haaah, how’s my Plachta sound…? She’s thinking about me, of course…! It makes me want to prepare some stew for her, you know? …Hey, hold on? Are you listening to me, Corny?

Yes, I’m listening. I’m glad to see you and Plachta are still good friends.

Of course we are! Hahaha!

Hahaha. I’m glad to hear it.

Ah! It’s nice to see you smile again, Corny…! Corneria, baby!!

Uwah! S-Sophie, don’t just grab me like that…!

Why not? We’re friends, right? Hehe!

…Uwah, I had no idea! Sophie looks hard to handle when she’s drunk!

Hahaha… That was a bit unexpected, wasn’t it?

Yes, you’re right. That’s probably better for everyone. …Ah! This is bad! We’re gonna be late for our lesson!

Eek! Let’s hurry!

The Alchemists’ Formidable Rivals

That’s it for today, then. Make sure you review all of this!

We will! Thank you!

Thank you! Uwah, my head is splitting…

You’re still not one for studying at a desk, are you Sue? Just relax, I’ll get you some sugar!

Thank you… Uwah, I could use it!

Alright! Now… here’s the fruit candy that Liane cooked for me the other day…

Oh, you’ve done it now! I’m going to bury this room in candy, if that’s what it takes!

Uwah! I want to eat them, but I don’t want to study! What a bind to be in!

You’re just too honest, Sue! Can’t you be a little more serious with your studies?

I can’t hear you! La la la! …Tell me, though, Teach, isn’t there some way to quickly get better at alchemy? I know that studying and practicing are important, but isn’t there another way?

You could choose a rival? Someone to compete against? Like Firis is for me.

I see. A rival! Our rival would be Lucia, maybe?

Yes, that’s a good choice. She’s a skilled alchemist and she hates to lose. But then you sisters are a bit like rivals too, aren’t you?

Hey, you’re right! We started out together, and I definitely don’t want to lose, even to my sister!

What did you just say?! I can’t ignore that, even from you!

Hahaha, I’m sorry, I was just kidding. You’re a powerful rival, Sue.

The more rivals you have, the better. There’s nothing wrong with some friendly competition.

No problem. We’ll be like you and Firis! Sometimes at each other’s throats, sometimes all snuggly!

You don’t? But I’ve seen you looking pretty…

No, we don’t! Never! Gah, you girls just love to mock me, don’t you?!

Wah, this is bad! She’s going into Hardcore Master mode again!

Oh no, oh no… Run for it! See you later, Teach!

…Those girls! I need to write “respect your teacher” on their faces in permanent ink… I’m not getting all snuggly, whatever that means anyway! I’m not… right? Wait… why am I getting so worked up over that comment? It’s just Lydie and Sue being Lydie and Sue… Maybe I need a walk to sort my head out…

Becoming Adults

Ilmeria! I didn’t expect to bump into you here. Maybe this is fate?

Huh? What are you rambling on about now?

It was your birthday recently, right? So now you’re an adult?

Yes, that’s right. You too, if I recall correctly?

H-Hold on!

Right! That bar looks like a good place to do it! Barkeep! Table for two!

Ah…!

Heheh! I’ve been looking forward to being able to drink for a long time!

Seriously. You could have started with that! You gave me all sorts of strange ideas!

Oh yeah? Like what?

Like nothing! Barkeep! A drink, please! The strongest you’ve got!

Hitting the ground running, Il! I like it! The same for me!

:chef: Here are your drinks. This is spirytus.

Spirytus…? Uwah, it even smells potent!

Oh dear, getting scared already? You’re still a little girl, Firis!

Gah! No I’m not! Down the hatch!

You can’t get the jump on me! Here goes!

Hahaha, Ilmeria! Weak! Too weak! Hahaha!

Hahaha, you said it. Firis looks like she’ll be quite the hard drinker…

Ah, Lydie! Sue! Hahaha! Whatever are you doing here? Hahaha! Come on, get over here and join us!

Oh no, she’s seen us!

P-Pretend we didn’t hear her, Sue! Just a case of mistaken identity! Keep moving!

Hey! Can’t you hear me? Hahaha! I guess it can’t be helped, Ilmeria!

Zzzzz… Firis… you hear me? Don’t leave my side…

Hahaha! Ilmeria is talking in her sleep! Poke, poke! Hahaha!

Firis! Stop… poking me there…

Hey, Lydie. One thing. When we grow up…

Hahaha! Keep the drinks coming! Hahaha!

Dummy… Firis, you dummy… But that’s just another thing about you… that I…

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Drinking 99% spirytus like it's nothing :eyepop:

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Illmeria and Firis are so dang cute :3:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

Drinking 99% spirytus like it's nothing :eyepop:

Hey Firis is like 20, ridiculously athletic and has a diet that’s basically the Rock’s but without the veggies

If anyone can handle it it’s her

Shirec posted:

Illmeria and Firis are so dang cute :3:

They are! But I almost feel bad for Ilmeria, since Firis seems shounen protagonist-level oblivious to Ilmeria's feelings for her :(

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 12, 2019

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Part 10-7: Sophie’s Dreams

Okay, so some of you might also be following Blademaster Aio’s ongoing LP of Atelier Sophie, the first entry of the Mysterious trilogy. And then you’re reading THIS LP and wondering, “wait, I thought Plachta was supposed to be a book? Who is this silver-haired girl and what did she do with Plachta?”

:siren: If you don’t want to be spoiled on the particulars of how Plachta came to look the way she does in L&S, then skip this update. All of it. :siren: You have been warned!

Now, for the rest of you, let’s see what mischief the twins are getting up to today…

A Crime of Passion…?

Sorry, I’ve got my hands full! Just wait a moment!

Oh! Hands full, are they? With what, I wonder!

Uwah, Sue, keep your mischief mode in check. We don’t want to cause any trouble.

Nope, too late! You can’t stop my curiosity! Heheh, chaaaarge!

Hey, Sue! Don’t do that!

Sophie! What are you doing?

Wh… Whaaaaat! What happened to P-Plachta?

A c-crime of passion? That’s what they call this, right?! A crime of passion?!

G-Girls, calm down a moment! You’ve got the wrong idea completely!

S-She talked!

Supernatural phenomena…? Don’t tell me… Plachta is a ghost? Uwaaah, I caaan’t taaaake thiiiiis!

Girls, no! Just…

Sophie… it looks like we’ll have to cut this short for now.

Looks like it… Sorry about this, Plachta.

Don’t be. You’re not the one at fault here…

I need periodic maintenance lest I suffer from reduced mobility. That’s what you walked in on back there. …Certainly not a crime of passion.

S-Sorry about that. It was just so shocking, I got a little carried away.

Thank goodness. Thank goodness you’re not a ghost…

So, Plachta… If it’s alright to ask, how did you end up with a doll’s body?

Well, long ago, I was human. My original body is long gone by now, of course. My soul got transferred into a book. Time passed, and I forgot even who I was.

To get her memories back, we transferred her soul into this doll. That’s Plachta as you know her now.

Transferring a soul into a doll? That’s insane, but if anyone could do it…

I think my inferiority complex is coming back. Alchemy really can do anything, huh…?

Let’s go home, Lydie. I worry that all this insanity is going to boil my brain…

Yeah, me too. Sorry for the intrusion…

…I think that was a bit of a surprise for them. We’ve freaked them out a bit, haven’t we?

Tell me about it… Hey, Plachta. It won’t be much longer, I promise.

I know. I’m looking forward to it, Sophie.

Following a Dream - Reduce damage received from enemies.

…That was shocking, but I think I’m already over it! Hehehe… and now that I’m over it…

I know exactly what you’re thinking, Sue… and I’m just as curious as you are!

A Crime of Passion

…Uh!

Just… wanna…

W-What’s gotten into both of you? Why are you staring at me like that?

Well… After looking at you up and close, we can really see how your body is a doll… You’ve got that tail going on, of course, and those cool parts stuck to your back…

What does it feel like, I wonder? Can I touch you?

O-Of course not! How embarrassing. Please excuse me!

Hey! Don’t grab that! Don’t grab my tail! And it’s not a tail either, it’s an important piece of…

Huh, it looks like a tail to me… So, Plachta… Just what can your body do? I’ve seen you eating stuff, like cookies… Do you use the toilet?

Are you soft? Or unexpectedly hard? Please, let me touch you! Just a little!

W-What’s with you both? …Eek! Please, stay back! …Sophie! Sophie! Save me! Please, save me!

Bah! But I still have loads of questions…

I just wanted to poke her tummy a little… That’s all.

Plachta? What’s the matter?

Lydie and Suelle! They got up in my face and started staring at me, then they started asking me all these weird questions about my body, and then they tried grabbing me!

What are you talking about? Lydie and Sue? That doesn’t sound much like them.

Hmm, it feels like I’ve seen this before somewhere? It can’t be helped that they’re inquisitive, anyway. I had all sorts of questions myself, haha…

Let’s come back later, Sue. We’re not going to get anything more out of Plachta.

Fiiiine. Maybe give it a day or two…

Sophie’s Stupendous Synthesis

Sure, no problem. What kind of work is it this time?

I’m trying to make an interesting item at the moment. I need you to get some materials for me. It’s a pretty difficult synthesis, but I think we’ll all learn a lot from it.

Roger that! I might not be much of a reader, but give me a job to do and I’ll do it!

Thanks. I know you’ll be the greatest in the kingdom in no time! I just need some Ashes of Origin…

Here you go, Sophie. We’ve got the items you asked for!

Haha, thank you! Yes, this all looks good. I’m glad I asked you. Now I can make my item that winds back time! Lydie, Sue, thanks.

…Excuse me?

An item that winds back time! I’ve already made one that stops time, you see. But controlling the flow of time, that’s a lot harder. With this, though, I can do it!

Wind back time…? Ha…haha…!

Hold on, what? Did I say something funny?

No. You’re just too incredible, that’s all. I was laughing because we can’t hope to compete.

I’m jealous of you, to be honest. If only we could command such alchemy…

Not at all. Like I said before, I still have a lot to learn. I can’t achieve my dream yet.

Your dream?

What? You couldn’t? I can’t believe it!

It’s all true. You can ask Plachta. I was a real helpless alchemist, when I was starting out. Compared to me back then, you two are something else. You’ll surpass me in no time, at this rate. …Girls, you need to keep doing your best, working toward that future. OK?

Working toward the future? How about an item that lets us travel there, then?

That’s not what she’s talking about. Sue, pay attention!

If we give it our all, Sue, we WILL achieve our dreams! We WILL fulfill our promise with Mom!

Alright, I get it already! Dreams, dreams… speaking of dreams…

Dreams From the Heart

I’ve been meaning to ask the same thing. Just what is your dream, Sophie? With abilities like yours, I bet you can make any dream come true.

Hehehehe! I asked her the same thing, long ago.

Hahaha, I’m not keeping this a secret! I’ll tell you whatever it is you want to know. I’ve got two dreams. The first one is to give Plachta her human body back.

Ah, right. Plachta was originally human, wasn’t she…

That’s right. There are all sorts of differences between humans and dolls, after all. In order to live together like this, going forward, I want to turn Plachta back into a human. My other dream… is to use alchemy to make everyone happy!

I know. I started learning alchemy thanks to my grandma, who ran an atelier in my hometown. Whenever she used her alchemy, she’d always bring smiles to everyone’s faces! Seeing that, I wanted to be just like her. So I started wondering if I could use alchemy, too!

I see. That’s where you get “using alchemy for everyone” from?

So cool! I want to do that, too! I want to use alchemy to make everyone happy!

Me too! It makes me so happy when people appreciate the items we make.

I know! You can’t help but get sucked into it all, can you? My teacher’s dream is just so big! So amazing!

Hey, you’re embarrassing me. I’ll go and m-make some cookies, OK?

Hahaha, her face was bright red! Even though she’s got nothing to be embarrassed about.

I know. It’s a lovely dream, really.

Right. That dream is the source of Sophie’s power. She really is incredible. …Speaking of dreams, and Plachta… gah, I can’t hold it in anymore!

Plachta’s Deepest, Darkest Secret

Sue! I know this is an interesting topic, but I think you’re starting to bother the poor woman! Asking her age is very rude, too. I’m sorry, Plachta.

Hold on, I want to know the answer! All this talk about “long ago”… Well, how long?

Hehe, I don’t mind answering this one. My age? I am…

Yes…?

Sixteen.

…Eh?

Therefore, I am sixteen. So long as I am in this body, I will be sixteen forever!

Sounds like cheating to me…

What is it, actually? About 520? A bit more?

Sorry, but I can’t just sit by while a friend so fiendishly covers up her age…

520! That’s like, a super granny! The grandma among grandmas!

Ah… I wouldn’t throw terminology like that around…

…It’s alright. I’m definitely an old maid, however you count it. A stubborn, set-in-her-ways, always-complaining, eccentric old granny… that’s me! HMPH!

Oh dear, you’ve done it now… Girls, please try and change the subject!

Okay, okay… I know! Plachta, I’ve got another question! You’ve been a book, and now a doll… Do you want to become human again?

Yes. Of course I do. But there’s also no hurry. I have complete faith in Sophie, and she’ll be able to turn me back, someday.

Uwah! Plachta, you really do trust Sophie…

Yes. …Even if she does go around spilling all my secrets.

What?! Another kick while I’m down! And you dare to address your teacher in such a way!

…Hahaha, Sophie and Plachta really are such good friends!

I’ve never seen two people who seem to be having so much fun when they’re fighting!

Hey, Sue… let’s duck out for a few hours. Just to see if they’ll still be at it even when we come back…

Ooh! Worth a try, I say! We’ll be back, you two!

Mama Plachta

Gah! I was just placing it somewhere I could easily find it again, that’s all…

Ah, Sophie is getting chewed out again…

Hahaha… I’ve seen this so often, I’m starting to think it’s just a routine in this atelier…

Great timing, girls! Take care of Plachta, will you? Later!

Hey, wait! Gah, she’s gone. Always so quick to run away!

Sorry about that. It looks like our timing was off?

No, it’s fine. Hehehe… We can just start from the beginning when she gets back.

Uwah! Cold-hearted!

It’s not like I’m lecturing her for my own enjoyment. While Sophie’s alchemy may have grown in leaps and bounds, her general living skills are still poor.

Ah… haha… I guess she is kinda sloppy…

If I can’t change this, she’ll become a worthless old lady whose only saving grace is her alchemy! I want her to be happy, that’s all. So she needs to be able to do more than just alchemy…

I see… So that’s the reason behind all of your lecturing.

Hahaha! Plachta, it’s like you’re her mother!

I’ve been called “elderly” and “granny” and all sorts in the past… But this is the first time I’ve been called a “mother”. Wow, this one might really be getting to me…

Really? Hehe, Mother Plachta! I think it quite suits you.

S-Stop that! I think I’d rather be treated like a frail old lady than be called “mother”! Both of you, don’t call me that again! Understand?

Okay! No problem… Mommy Plachta!

…Suelle, time for one of my famous lectures. If you insist on calling me “Mommy,” then I must oblige by scolding you like any responsible “Mommy” would! All of your dreams are about to come true!

Oh no, I went too far! Run for it!

Hey, Sue! Don’t leave me a… Ah, Plachta, see you later!

I can hardly keep up with those two, honestly…

Hate to admit it, but I’ve really done it now… let’s wait a nice, long while before showing our faces around here again.

Right. Wait for Plachta to cool off, or else she’ll spank us on sight…

A few days later…

To the Day and Place of Return

What’s up, Sophie? You’ve been making noises over that thing for a while now?

Ah, it’s this magazine. There’s an article in it that’s really bringing back some memories.

Let’s see. “Church songstress, a revolutionary watchmaker, and a massive commercial facility. An old-timey café, and a cake shop run by a large family…” Wow, this looks like a lovely place! Sophie, have you been here before?

Been there? It’s where I grew up!

What! You could have led with that!

Sorry! I know everyone mentioned in this article. So reading it brought back lots of memories.

Haha, so that’s what all the gasping was about.

Yeah. Since I started my travels to restore Plachta, I haven’t been home once.

It’s been a while, then. You must be sad.

Yeah, of course I am. It’s good to see that everyone is doing well, though. …Right, that settles it! Once Plachta is human again, I’m going to go and show my face back home! I don’t think it will take much longer, either.

Really? Does that mean…?

Yep! I’m close to finding the final item I need to restore Plachta. I’m still working on the recipe, but it needs one final push.

Uwah, that’s great! We’ll need to get something ready, to celebrate!

Yeah, what would be best? A ring, or a pendant? Something you can wear?

No, how about something delicious? Or maybe a Plachta doll!

Just a little more. A little more…!

Sophie has acquired the skill “Voice of Guidance”.

A new Combination Art for Lydie and Sophie “Rainbow Codex” is unlocked.

Voice of Guidance - Increase the power of (Medicine) items.

Atelier Sophie spoilers end here.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

With that update having come out, you're all welcome to discuss spoilers from Atelier Sophie as they get dropped in this game, just so long as you black bar the discussion for anyone reading the other LP and who hasn't played it yet.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Part 10-8: Gifts and Growth

The reputation of our atelier has improved again. I think maybe we’re ready to take the next exam…

The Rank A Exam

Well, let’s get going! Let’s see what Mireille has in store for us this time!

Interesting. Your reputation has grown quite a lot. I think you might be ready for the test. What do you think? Do you want to try the next Promotion Test?

Please, Mireille!

Very well. It’s time for you to take the A Rank exam. This won’t be easy! Prepare yourselves!

R-References? The kind you need for the Certification Exam?

That’s right. The kind that only a certified alchemist can write. You will need three of them. In other words, complete this test and you’ll be qualified to take the Certification Exam, too.

I see. Which means it isn’t going to be easy! Gulp!

Tell us, Mireille. How many certified alchemists are there in Merveille right now?

Ilmeria, Firis, Sophie. Oh, and Roger. You can get your recommendations from any of them. …Even Roger, of course. You need three of them - that’s the only condition. Good luck, girls!

Alright! Three letters, four certified alchemists in town… Where to start…

Hmm… why don’t we start with Dad?

Alright! Hehe, good thing Mireille doesn’t have any problems with us taking the nepotism route…

A Gift for Honnete

A letter of recommendation? What are you talking about? This is all a bit sudden!

Hahaha. It’s about the Promotion Test. Mireille wants three letters of recommendation from certified alchemists - just like what you went through to get your certification!

Interesting. Quite the tough task! But I know you’ve got what it takes. If you complete the task I’m about to give you, I’ll write you the letter!

Yes! Thank you, Dad! What’s your task, then?

Hehehe… Simple! You just need to use your alchemy to do something nice for Honnete.

Something nice? That’s all? This sounds super suspicious to me!

I’m doing all of this out of pure love for my sweet girls! Honestly!

Uwah, you’re making it worse, Dad!

Just hold on a moment. Let me see… “Dear Honnete”…

You laughed! You just laughed! You’re planning something, I know it!

No, I’m not! Now go, get moving!

Uwah, I have a really bad feeling about all this. We should proceed with caution!

Right. First off, being paper girls for Mom…

The Neverending Diary

Uwah, you’re smiling too! This must be some crazy hard task he’s set for us!

No, that’s not it. I was just impressed that you’ve reached this point already. Now, for the something nice you have to do for me… I want a diary that will never run out of pages.

Wh… What? Why?

I’ve always loved keeping diaries, but I can’t get any paper in here! There’s no paper left I can write on, either. So I want a diary that will never run out.

Uwah! Dad definitely gave you that idea, didn’t he? That’s not fair!

I can’t believe you two! But very well. We just have to make that for you, right?

That’s right! One that’s easy to write in and really cute too, alright?

Your wish is our command, Mom!

Home we go! To make Mom’s wish reality!

Hmm… something like this should work! A lot of Zettel goes without saying… plus a Golden Tree Leaf, some more elixir, and some hidden power…

And, of course, the most important ingredient: a wish to give only the best to Mom!

There, it’s done! A diary that adds more pages as you turn them!

Phew! I didn’t think it was possible to begin with, but it all worked out.

…We never told you what Mom asked us for! You really did set this all up!

Gyah! I… I suddenly just want to see Honnete! Let’s head into the painting, shall we? Haha… hahaha… Hahahahaaaa!

Dad can be such a dummy! I guess it can’t be helped, though. This was an exam.

Let’s go after him, then. After all… We need to give the diary to Mom.

Intervention

Look, Roger! This is incredible. I can write as much as I like!

Haha. You seem very pleased!

Of course! It’s a gift from my own two perfect treasures! It almost seems like a waste to write in it… Maybe I’ll frame it and hang it on the wall!

What! After all the trouble we went to? We even made the paper super easy to write on!

Haha, I’m just joking. I’ll make good use of it. Thank you, girls.

No problem. We poured our hearts into it, so keep it close to you, Mom.

Finally, after all this time, we got to do something nice for you! Finally…!

Ah…! Roger! Your letter!

What? Hold on. They still need to do at least two more things…

No, they don’t! You asked them to do something good for me, and they did. This is it!

Roger’s Reference received.

Wow… Is this really okay?

Hmm… Yes, it should be fine. Your average alchemist couldn’t make that diary. Making that is enough for a recommendation letter for the exam. …None of my tougher tasks required.

I’m listening!

…If I push my luck any harder, Honnete is going to have my head… Girls, you pass!

That’s right. You’ve passed with flying colors! I guarantee your skills!

Haha, thanks, Mom! See you again soon!

That’s one of three! Hmm… let’s go to Ilmeria’s as soon as we’re home. She’s just up the street from us, after all!

Tedium From Teach

Why so formal? If you’ve got something to say, spit it out!

Uwah, I was just trying to match the occasion! Anyway… drumroll, please… we’ve finally reached the A Rank exam! And Mireille wants letters of recommendation, like the ones we would need for the Certification Exam!

I see. A letter of recommendation… As a certified alchemist, I can certainly do that. But being able to, and actually doing it, are two different things. I can’t just hand one over.

What! You aren’t going to give us a recommendation at all?

Is that what I said? You have to earn it, is what I meant! If you want my recommendation, you need to show me, your teacher, how much you have grown!

Grown? I think I have gotten a bit taller, recently?

Hahaha, of course you do. But how exactly can we show you that?

I’ve got that covered too. You just need to complete the tasks I’m about to give you. If you can do that, you’ll have proven how much progress you’ve made and I’ll give you the letter.

Very well. I just hope you’re ready to see how much we’ve improved, Ilmeria!

More than ready. Here’s your first task: bring me some neutralizer. As much as you can. More than you can carry.

That much?!

Even more! Now go and get to work!

Teach wants ten flasks of Rainbow Neutralizer, and we can make about three per synthesis. But I know how we can speed this up…

Ah! Using one of Backen’s Bromides as a Catalyst can let us make an extra two! So we just have to do this twice, instead of four times!

Yup! …And we finished before we even knew it! Now for the actual hard part…

Strength of Body and Mind

Phew! This is surely enough, right?

I think so. The number and the quality both look good. How was it? Difficult? A right royal pain?

Well, if I had to pick one… the second?

If you had to pick one… That takes care of the first test, anyway.

W-What, it does? How come?

Uwah. I think you’re right.

Grunt work is a part of being an alchemist. You understand that, and worked through it. That means you’ve passed the first test. It seems you really have grown.

I see. Hehe, glad that you can see it!

It’s too soon to get complacent, though. You’ve only completed the very first of the tasks. Now, for the second one: I need you to defeat the monster that you will find at this location.

We just have to defeat it? Haha, that’ll be easy then!

You think so? Well, here’s your instructions! Off you go and do it, then.

Alright! Spring-green Odahlia, and… hey!

Looks like it. Hold on, though, isn’t this the place where Ilmeria stepped in and saved us?

Hahaha, you’re right! That seems like so long ago now.

We needed all the saving we could get, back then. Let’s show her that isn’t the case anymore!

Eat this!

Left one for you, Lydie! Am I generous or what?

Hyah!

Phew. We won!

Yep. We must have gotten quite a bit stronger!

Ilmeria! You were watching the whole time?

Yes, I saw the whole thing. Very different from the panicked pair I encountered here. You faced your foe head on and took them down. You really have become so strong.

Ilmeria!

That takes care of the second test. Come and see my at my atelier again. I’ll give you the final test then. Bye-bye!

Off she goes… Do you think she’s accepted our progress?

A little, yes. But we aren’t finished yet. We need to complete her final task as well! So straight to her atelier, first thing in the morning…

The Task That Started It All

This one’s a doozy: “Pour everything you’ve got into making some Dream Paintbrushes”! No cutting corners. Everything you’ve got! From material selection to synthesis, 150% or nothing!

Very well. We accept this final task!

We’ll show you what we can do, Ilmeria! Get ready to get your mind blown!

Big words, little lady. I look forward to seeing just how much you’ve improved.

Can you believe it, Lydie? Making Dream Paintbrushes… that’s the exam we botched our first time around, a failure that really made us look for a mentor… and that’s how we found Ilmeria!

And now, over a year later and with much more experience under our belts, we’re going to earn her letter of recommendation with the best Dream Paintbrushes she’s ever seen… we’ve really come full circle!

Yawn… well, that’s that! Let’s show our teacher what we can do, once again!

Ilmeria! Hehehe…

Now, you two… show me what you are truly capable of!

Ilmeria, we’ve done it!

Haha… hahaha! These are wonderful! I can’t find a single thing to fault you on!

Ilmeria’s Reference received.

Wow, your recommendation! Thank you so much, Ilmeria!

No need to thank me. You earned it by completing the tasks I gave you! Teacher, students… such labels don’t matter. Alchemists to alchemists, I acknowledge you. I expect even bigger things from you in the future, girls!

We’ll do our best! This recommendation means the world to us!

D-Don’t get too soppy over it, you’ll make me blush!

Heheh, sorry Ilmeria!

You really have grown so much, though. I’m not sure you even need a teacher anymore…

I wouldn’t say that! We still can’t match you.

Lydie’s right. You’ll be our mentor until the day we finally, finally prove ourselves superior!

Ah! It’s on now! We’re going to surpass you, like, tomorrow! No, today! Drop your guard and we’ll surpass you by this evening!

Haha, give it a try. You’ll find a tough goal to reach! Anyway, you’ve gotten your recommendation, so run along. Go and study some more. If you truly plan on surpassing me, that’s how you’ll do it.

Yes, you’re right! That’s what we’ll do, then!

Heheh! See you later, Ilmeria!

…I can’t lose to them, either. Time to get back into Twelve Successive Syntheses…!

So we’ve gotten two recommendations now. One from Dad, and the other from Ilmeria.

That leaves Firis and Sophie, in the tent. But since they’re both there, anyway… why don’t we just get both of their recommendations?

We might as well! And you know Mireille… she’ll reward us for going above and beyond!

Right! Off to the tent, off to the tent!

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Man, I forgot how long some of these resolutions take. I remembered the Plachta thing being a lot earlier.

Though that might be because I spent like a million hours grinding in the next chapter. My perception of the game's length might be warped.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Man, I forgot how long some of these resolutions take. I remembered the Plachta thing being a lot earlier.

Though that might be because I spent like a million hours grinding in the next chapter. My perception of the game's length might be warped.

Yeah all these arcs’ progressions are tied to friendship levels; the final events for each party member come at friendship level 80, and only Mathias is there as of the end of this recording session; resolving his (and Mireille’s) arc will come early in the final chapter. Sophie was at the lowest friendship level at 65 at the end of this session so there’s going to be a loooooooooot of good stuff I’ve ended up pushing back to the final chapter.

Honestly the game probably expects you to have gotten some of these events earlier than chapters 10-F since if you watch the combination arts tutorial, it features a combination art with Mathias I don’t have yet, since I’ve had him in the back row (and thus slowed his growth) ever since Sophie joined and ate his lunch as a frontliner :v: but yeah if you do plenty of grinding throughout the game you’ll probably see some of these arcs progressing faster than you’ve seen in this LP.

Also this game is legit really long, though! Like comparing this to the other LPs in the archive, I've already done more updates than Sylphid did for any of the Dusk games or for a single Arland game, and I've only begun wrapping up chapter 10 of 12.

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Yeah, I don't think I ever actually grinded friendship (can you?) but I still got through stuff a lot quicker. Mainly because I would clear up every marker on the fast travel map except the plot ones before doing the plot, and every inspiration goal before doing the exams. And make one of every item unlockable at that point in the game as soon as I could. And I wanted to nab all the unique monster requests from the board.

...yeah, this game big.