Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Jerky material
Meat
Fruit
Vegetable
Other Food
Goku
View Results

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Jerky till you die (from heightened blood pressure due to eating too much salt).

I never tried making my own but I've been thinking about buying a nice dehydrator and starting with fruits and stuff. It's too bad everything that costs under 400$ has plastic trays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

The meat is marinaded.

The meat shall be dehydrated overnight. Good luck meat.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Haverchuck posted:

jerky should be extremely tough and inedibly salty, this looks like the soft pink translucent jerky you would find in a ziplock pouch of oberto or jack links at a walmart

Oh boy a beef jerky hipster :rolleyes:

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Putty posted:

The meat is marinaded.

The meat shall be dehydrated overnight. Good luck meat.

Looks like teriyaki beef on a stick from my local Chinese restaurant. If it's a jerky version of that,:discourse:

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Oh yeah whenevee I go to walmart i steal so many bags of jerky 5.99 gently caress you

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Does the mod who was obsessed with jerky and you could audibly hear him moan across the entire world when the jerky guy on something awful stopped selling it still post here

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
"krave" jerky sucks stay away from it

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
My wife is a jerky fanatic and got me into it.

She made some homemade salmon jerky once based off an online recipe/method and that poo poo was crazy good.

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.

Aesop Poprock posted:

Does the mod who was obsessed with jerky and you could audibly hear him moan across the entire world when the jerky guy on something awful stopped selling it still post here

evidently: https://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=42569

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

a bone to pick posted:

"krave" jerky sucks stay away from it

I like their chilli lime jerky tbqh, the king of the blind if jerky had little eyes on each piece

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Finally I have a food to assume the mario bros are eating in putty's av

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Their stuff is OK.

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers
Been making jerky since the first jerky thread probably 10 or 11 years ago and it's always so much better than anything you find in the store.

My go to recipe is half Worchestershire sauce / half soy sauce, with minced garlic, lots of cracked black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne powder to desired heat, and sometimes some cumin. I might try adding a bit of brown sugar or molasses next time but I tend to hate sugar in jerky.

Speaking of, why is it so goddamn hard to find jerky in the store that doesn't have sugar as the main ingredient after beef!? Even at jerky stores, every single goddamn variety still had sugar as the main ingredient.

I lucked out once and found some Blank & Son's jerky at an HEB once and it was good. I'd say drat near as good as my own. Only saw it that once, though I look for it every time I'm getting groceries.

....goddamnit, I'm gonna go pick up some eye of round right now and make some drat jerky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0deRVXeP5g

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
jerky is good, op

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
A buddy of mine murders a million ducks a year to make jerky out of and it’s really drat good. Not as good as his deer jerky but I don’t think any jerky is as good as deer jerky

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Aesop Poprock posted:

A buddy of mine murders a million ducks a year to make jerky out of and it’s really drat good. Not as good as his deer jerky but I don’t think any jerky is as good as deer jerky

Deer jerky is amazing. I honestly don’t think I have ever had bad deer jerky.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
i love jerking it (my meat)

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
if you haven't had salmon jerky try it out some time, it's great

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
i've been spitballing prepping up dried soup/stew mixes that i could toss and keep in a nalgene bottle or something for when i go backpacking/camping and was wondering if I could toss some jerky in the boiling result to soften and impart a little meaty love for a fulfilling meal for the last night or so. Has anyone ever tried this? Anyway, all jerky is good but some jerky is more equal than others. Or something

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Milo and POTUS posted:

i've been spitballing prepping up dried soup/stew mixes that i could toss and keep in a nalgene bottle or something for when i go backpacking/camping and was wondering if I could toss some jerky in the boiling result to soften and impart a little meaty love for a fulfilling meal for the last night or so. Has anyone ever tried this? Anyway, all jerky is good but some jerky is more equal than others. Or something

Pretty sure dried meat's been used that way for a long time. I got nothing to back that up though, just making an assumption.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I got most of a deer in the freezer and as much as I'd like to do roasts and poo poo it's probably all doomed to the biltong box in the garage.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

There's a place called the Beef Jerky Outlet that has all kinds of wild poo poo like salmon and moose jerky and Carolina Reaper spiced jerky, I really need to stop by one day after work.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

a bone to pick posted:

if you haven't had salmon jerky try it out some time, it's great

it is awesome good

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

in my head canon, louisgod quit being a mod because the end of the jerky just broke him completely

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
I always forget the dash of liquid smoke in my marinade.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

The jerky. Is ready.

Spoilers I made this last month and finished it long ago so I can't recall the flavor. The Worcestershire sauce was pretty big on this one and IDK if I can warrant a fair review since I didn't get to add the intended brown sugar.

I have more eye round left, I wonder what I'll use it on...

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Mix a bunch of melatonin into it and get sleep jerky

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

gently caress that, xanjerky and fentjerky hitting da streets 2019

MackAddie
Jul 10, 2001

Driving to California soon. Stopping here on the way

https://reallygoodfreshjerky.com

MackAddie fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Nov 13, 2018

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

MackAddie posted:

Driving to California soon. Stopping here in the way

reallygoodfreshjerky.com

if you dont buy the habanero/garlic stuffed olives youre a loving retard.

also go pay your respects at the grave of Hi Jolly

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
I bought a bunch of Chinese research jerky last month but I can't remember what it tasted like ,also now I'm homeless and everyone hates nme.

SleepySonata
Mar 3, 2010

Sjs00 posted:

Oh yeah whenevee I go to walmart i steal so many bags of jerky 5.99 gently caress you

:swoon:

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

signalnoise posted:

Finally I have a food to assume the mario bros are eating in putty's av

It used to just be farting into he face but I guess it still is

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I know it's kind of the point but 1 lb of beef really doesn't go a long way when making jerky, does it?

Is this also why it costs like $20 for a bag of jerky in the store?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

explosivo posted:

I know it's kind of the point but 1 lb of beef really doesn't go a long way when making jerky, does it?

I get a 1.3kg roast thinking 'gently caress this is going to make so much tasty snacks' and suddenly there's none left and my chest hurts. drat jerky wizard strikes again.

MajorPain
Apr 18, 2007

Do what now?

Sjs00 posted:

I ate one of those Jack Links "big bags" in a single sitting back in college:

No joke your poo poo will smell like straight salted beef for the next 24 hours which should be no surprise because that was about the only contents of my intestines in the aftermath of that onslaught. Basically what I'm saying is be careful how long you wander the aisles of Walmart cramming meat into your jerky hole.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

explosivo posted:

it does when you're a single human

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Outrail posted:

I get a 1.3kg roast thinking 'gently caress this is going to make so much tasty snacks' and suddenly there's none left and my chest hurts. drat jerky wizard strikes again.

I am glad people like you exist in a time where others are born hungry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

MajorPain posted:

I ate one of those Jack Links "big bags" in a single sitting back in college:

No joke your poo poo will smell like straight salted beef for the next 24 hours which should be no surprise because that was about the only contents of my intestines in the aftermath of that onslaught. Basically what I'm saying is be careful how long you wander the aisles of Walmart cramming meat into your jerky hole.

drat! Even I need 2-3 days on one of those, and I'm a pig.