Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Jerky material
Meat
Fruit
Vegetable
Other Food
Goku
View Results

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Animal-Mother posted:

in my head canon, louisgod quit being a mod because the end of the jerky just broke him completely

Everytime I think about this post I hear the sound of a chandelier crashing in slow motion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

This is probably some type of heresy, but is there a non-salty variant recipe of jerky to be found, that doesn't also go bad superquick or taste like cardboard?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

evilmiera posted:

This is probably some type of heresy, but is there a non-salty variant recipe of jerky to be found, that doesn't also go bad superquick or taste like cardboard?

If only there was some way to instantly search the entire collected sum of human knowledge for the answers to questions such as this

Mistayke
May 7, 2003

U.S. Goons, ever been traveling and stopped at a "Love's"? Did you ever buy the Beef Jerky there?

Here it is straight from the maker: http://www.beefjerkynow.com/

It's expensive, but oh man, worth every penny. I don't get it often because of price, but once in a while I have to get a couple of jars.

It's unlike any Jerky I have ever had. Very dry, and one might say crispy but as soon as it hits your mouth the flavors just hit you as it softens up. This is what I imagine real Jerky was like back in the old days.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Sjs00 posted:

I am glad people like you exist in a time where others are born hungry

Oh yes, forums user Sjs00 has never eaten far more than they should have. Not once. They are far too pure of heart for that.

Why don't you turn your limbs to jerky and feed the hungry then dickhead?

Outrail fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Nov 13, 2018

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I was going to say this thread about jerky is turning people salty but decided against it for health reasons.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
yeah get BEEFY OP

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Chinatown posted:

yeah get BEEFY OP

Little baby pissbitch marinade.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

evilmiera posted:

I was going to say this thread about jerky is turning people salty but decided against it for health reasons.

Nah, thread's a little dry for my tastes.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Think i'm going to make jerky again because of this thread. I've never really been successful getting my jerky to have any heat short of just dusting it with cayenne before dehydrating

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Jose posted:

Think i'm going to make jerky again because of this thread. I've never really been successful getting my jerky to have any heat short of just dusting it with cayenne before dehydrating

Roll it in chilli flakes. If you can get them to stick its pretty great.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Some of the best jerky I’ve ever made / had was left on a wooden board in the cab of my truck in the California summer lol.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

explosivo posted:

I know it's kind of the point but 1 lb of beef really doesn't go a long way when making jerky, does it?

Is this also why it costs like $20 for a bag of jerky in the store?
Takes roughly three pounds of meat to make a pound of jerky, so yeah.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Outrail posted:

turn your limbs to jerky and feed the hungry

Hmm.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
would someone please jerkey off :grin:

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Could you marinate it in piss and make pissjerky?

jimmy mnemonic
Jan 9, 2007

Fun Shoe

a bone to pick posted:

if you haven't had salmon jerky try it out some time, it's great

Can you use normal grocery store salmon when making it or does it have to be sushi grade? I'm afraid of ingesting deep sea parasite spores and being eaten alive from the inside.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

jimmy mnemonic posted:

Can you use normal grocery store salmon when making it or does it have to be sushi grade? I'm afraid of ingesting deep sea parasite spores and being eaten alive from the inside.

Salmon is a fatty fish, and unlike meat you can't cut off marbling on a fish. Regardless if safety is your concern you can heat your meat to 160+ degrees after marinading it to pwn bacteria.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

signalnoise posted:

Croutons are bread jerky

:hmmyes:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

jimmy mnemonic posted:

I'm afraid of ingesting deep sea parasite spores and being eaten alive from the inside.

It's going to happen, one way or another.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I only eat authentic alpaca charqui sundried in the andean highlands, OP.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Temaukel posted:

I only eat authentic alpaca charqui sundried in the andean highlands, OP.

Cui charqui 4 lyfe 'migo.

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers
3 pounds eye of roast, marinated 18 hours in worchestershire/soy sauce, lots of garlic/onion powder and some cayenne, each layer sprinkled with freshly ground black pepper and red pepper flakes before gettin' tossed in the dehydrator, with a demonic spawn eyeing a chance to nab some for herself.

The hardest part about dehydrating jerky is not eating half of it while it's still half-raw. People who have never made jerky themselves will never know the pleasure of a warm, mostly raw piece of jerky right out of the dehydrator.

Such a shame.

Vato
Jan 14, 2018

Jesus Christ posted:

3 pounds eye of roast, marinated 18 hours in worchestershire/soy sauce, lots of garlic/onion powder and some cayenne, each layer sprinkled with freshly ground black pepper and red pepper flakes before gettin' tossed in the dehydrator, with a demonic spawn eyeing a chance to nab some for herself.

The hardest part about dehydrating jerky is not eating half of it while it's still half-raw. People who have never made jerky themselves will never know the pleasure of a warm, mostly raw piece of jerky right out of the dehydrator.

Such a shame.

There's my girl!

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
Something I do is throw the meat into the freezer for a while before cutting. When the meat's a bit stiff, it's easier to cut into thin slices. No need to hammer it flat that way.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Jesus Christ posted:

Such a shame.

Stick it in some stew while backpacking. I bet it's delicious

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

:3

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Anyone got recommendations for buying jerky online with shipping within the EU? So far I've found https://beefjerkystock.eu/ but they seem kinda pricey.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
You can make it in an oven. Prop the door open a bit so humidity can escape and set it to 60c. If not hanging on wire oven racks you'll need to learn it o er a few times and it takes about 7 hours

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Jerky is expensive because for the beef I buy you usually end up with about half the weight of final product than you started with

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Jose posted:

Jerky is expensive because for the beef I buy you usually end up with about half the weight of final product than you started with

Jerk hack: Soak the finished jerky in water for 12 hours. I find it makes up for the weight lost during the dehydration process.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
lol

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Outrail posted:

Jerk hack: Soak the finished jerky in water for 12 hours. I find it makes up for the weight lost during the dehydration process.

lmao jack links is gonna sue ur rear end so fuckin hard

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

gently caress yeah, fat sack o' jerky

Jesus Christ fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Nov 17, 2018

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

That is a nice fat sack.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

:gizz:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jesus Christ posted:

Such a shame.

Those bag clips look like blue dildos in the pic.

What I hate is that it takes so much space in a dehydrator to make any amount that counts as quantity. Having a bunch of friends over for a game? Start making jerky 3 weeks ahead of time.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

*screaming at the top of my lungs*

I LOVE DRIED APRICOTS

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

*naps between 1 and 2 pm*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Milo and POTUS posted:

i've been spitballing prepping up dried soup/stew mixes that i could toss and keep in a nalgene bottle or something for when i go backpacking/camping and was wondering if I could toss some jerky in the boiling result to soften and impart a little meaty love for a fulfilling meal for the last night or so. Has anyone ever tried this? Anyway, all jerky is good but some jerky is more equal than others. Or something

On an episode of Good Eats, at the end of the show Alton Brown made some sort of reconstituted beef jerky soup or stew or something (while sitting halfway in a tent). I tried looking for it and can't find what he did. I think there may have been 2 jerky episodes so it's one of them. I can't find clips of it or anything. Just saw someone mention it in a forum and no one had an answer.

Of course you can just google "beef jerky stew" or something.