Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

HP: 36/36 AC: 17 HD: 4/4d10
SD: 4/4d8 Save DC: 13

Pain was the topic of the day for Dagat. Sure, he'd been experiencing some of the normal discomfort of apparently surviving an execution and having been chained up in a prison not sized to accommodate you, but the real numbing pain was stemming from what he'd left behind. He'd have to put thoughts of his people out of his mind for now, the tortle of Talagain could be as hard as their shells if they had to, and it would only be a matter of time until Talagain itself took things into its hands. If the invaders continued to defile the islands, no doubt the depths would answer his curse and wipe Talagain from the ocean.

Introspection eventually gives way to the an insistent knocking, the thumps of weapon hafts against his form forcing him to grudgingly exit his shell to be hauled off to the armory for equipping. He gives a small duck of the head to his fellow prisoners before focusing on what the guards have to say.

Once informed that they're going to be getting some proper exercise, Dagat begins to sift through the paltry gear available. His shell was missing the many markings that served as decoration, but it was still sturdy and undamaged, so it would serve to protect him. When it came to weapons he was far more dubious. Plucking a greataxe from a pile he addressed the Guard who had bet on him, his voice gravelly and slow as he meandered his way through a sentence "If you were so invested you could have given me a halberd, or better yet a glaive, but at the least I'll not let someone lop off my head just to spite you."

With no immediate action being apparently taken Dagat let his lumbering form thump to the ground, his attention now firmly settled on the prisoners as they went about introducing themselves. "Dagat Tuth. Given to the depths for trying to live peaceably." He gives as much a shrug as his shell will allow and glances toward The Emissary as she halfheartedly plucks up a blade "Not so peacefully that I can't offer protection if it is needed. The muzzle tells me you can protect yourself, but that does you no good if you wind up rushed by blades or fangs."

Dagat now level 5 posted:

Name: Dagat Tuth
Race: Tortle
Class: Fighter (Battle Master) 5
Proficiency: +3
Alignment: Neutral Good
Background: Island Host

HP: 44
AC: 17
HD: 5d10
Superiority Dice: 4/4d8
Save DC: 14
Speed: 30
Passive Perception:

Attributes:15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8
STR: 17 (+3) (15+2 racial)
DEX: 12 (+1)
CON: 14 (+2)
INT: 10 (+0)
WIS: 14 (+2) (13+1 racial)
CHA: 8 (-1)

Skill profs:
Animal Handling: +5 (Fighter)
Athletics: +6 (Fighter)
Medicine: +4 (Background)
Nature: +3 (Background)
Survival: +5 (Tortle)

Save profs:
Strength & Constitution

Weapons Proficiency:
Simple + Martial weapons

Armor Proficiency:
All Armor + Shields

Tools:
Brewer's Supplies (Fighter)
Cook's Utensils (Background)
Drum (Background)

Languages:
Common and Aquan(Tortle)

Feats:
Polearm Master (4th level ASI/Feat)
-When you take the Attack action and attack with only a glaive, halberd, or quarterstaff, you can use a bonus action to make a melee attack with the opposite end of the weapon. This attack uses the same ability modifier as the primary weapon. The weapon's damage die for this attack is a d4, and the attack deals bludgeoning damage.

-While you are wielding a glaive, halberd, pike, or quarterstaff, other creatures provoke an opportunity attack from you when they enter the reach you have with that weapon.

Features:
Race
Claws: Your claws are natural weapons, which you can use to make unarmed strikes. If you hit with them, you deal slashing damage equal to 1d4 + your Strength modifier, instead of the bludgeoning damage normal for an unarmed strike.

Hold Breath: You can hold your breath for up to 1 hour at a time. Tortles aren't natural swimmers, but they can remain underwater for some time before needing to come up for air.

Natural Armor: Due to your shell and the shape of your body, you are ill-suited to wearing armor. Your shell provides ample protection, however; it gives you a base AC of 17 (your Dexterity modifier doesn't affect this number). You gain no benefit from wearing armor, but if you are using a shield, you can apply the shield's bonus as normal.

Shell Defense: You can withdraw into your shell as an action. Until you emerge, you gain a +4 bonus to AC, and you have advantage on Strength and Constitution saving throws. While in your shell, you are prone, your speed is 0 and can't increase, you have disadvantage on Dexterity saving throws, you can't take reactions, and the only action you can take is a bonus action to emerge from your shell.

Class
Fighting Style- Tunnel Fighter
You excel at defending narrow passages, doorways, and other tight spaces. As a bonus action, you can enter a defensive stance that lasts until the start of your next turn. While in your defensive stance, you can make opportunity attacks without using your reaction, and you can use your reaction to make a melee attack against a creature that moves more than 5 feet while within your reach.

Second Wind:At first level, on your turn, you can use a bonus action to regain hit points equal to 1d10 + your fighter level. Once you use this feature, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again.

Action Surge
Starting at second level, on your turn, you can take one additional action on top of your regular action and a possible bonus action. Once you use this feature, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again. Starting at 17th level, you can use it twice before a rest, but only once on the same turn.

Battle Master-
Combat Superiority
Superiority Dice: You start with four superiority dice, which are d8s, and you expend one whenever you use a maneuver. You regain them all when you finish a short or long rest.

Manuevers: You learn three special maneuvers. You can use only one maneuver per attack.

Precision Attack: When you make a weapon attack roll against a creature, you can expend one superiority die to add it to the roll. You can use this maneuver before or after making the attack roll, but before any effects of the attack are applied.

Pushing Attack: When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can expend one superiority die to attempt to drive the target back. You add the superiority die to the attack's damage roll, and if the target is Large or smaller, it must make a Strength saving throw. On a failed save, you push the target up to 15 feet away from you.

Trip Attack: When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can expend one superiority die to attempt to knock the target down. You add the superiority die to the attack's damage roll, and if the target is Large or smaller, it must make a Strength saving throw or be knocked prone.

At 3rd level, you gain proficiency with one type of artisan's tool of your choice. (Brewer's)

Extra Attack: Beginning at 5th level, you can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn.

Background:
Adept Linguist: You can communicate with humanoids who don't speak any language you know so long as you observe them interacting with each other for at least one day.

Personality Trait 1
Any group is only as strong as its weakest link, but I pay attention to keep those links from breaking.

Personality Trait 2
The land I came from was a backwater compared to most. I take delight in the many marvels there are to be found.

Ideal
Service: Using my talents to help others is the best way of helping myself

Bond
My people were destroyed and I will do whatever I must to see that wrong righted.

Flaw
My trust of others often leads to me reacting to situations rather than anticipating them.

Equipment:
Clothes (Fine) Shell Paints
Alchemist's Fire x4 Improv Ranged (20' Max) On a hit the target takes 1d4 fire at the start of its turns. Can use an Action to make a DC10 dex save to extinguish them.
Antitoxin
Brewer's Supplies
Butcher's Hook- Ranged(str) vs AC. On a hit drag target in front of you. Range: 75 feet. 2 turns cooldown.
Cook's Utensils
Drum
Dungeoneer's Pack (backpack, crowbar, hammer, 10 pitons, 10 torches, tinderbox, 10 days rations, waterskin, and 50' of rope.)
Glaive -1d10 slashing. Heavy, Reached, Two-Handed.
Healer's Kit
Holy Water- Improv Ranged(20' max) 2d6 radiant vs fiends and undead on a hit.
Perfume (Vial)
Pot, Iron
Potion of Healing x4 (2d4+2 healing)
0 gp.

quote:

Dagat's nabbing a greataxe, barring a polearm being delivered to him, and will snag a trident too for throwing purposes.

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Dagat Tuth

There wasn't much to do but follow the slab of a being and the odd creature accompanying it, but Dagat had been promised a talking to rather than a yelling at, so he took a shot in the dark and spoke at the retreating machine "This Hoar is a foreign name to me. Have we simply been plucked away from our final rest to prove ourselves worthy of pursuing tasks unrelated to our vengeance? Or does this giver of life intend on aiding us in sating this thirst should we be found acceptable?" His glare lingered on the back of the whirring creature for a time, but eventually came to rest on its bodyguard. If the creature was too terse to respond, perhaps its keeper would have some answers.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Dagat Tuth

Dagat gives Earl a small nod of appreciation as the power of a foreign god flooded into him. "I'm certain I could teach him a thing or two about the kitchen. As it is he'll have to learn a harder lesson first."

While the enemy force was still quite a ways off, Dagat was not prone to fits of being brash. The presence of pits in combination with the beefy one's hooked mechanism was worrying. The flaming man was almost certainly a caster, and if sparring with the Talagain shamans had taught him anything, it was to be wary around those who could shape magic. Nerves rightfully on edge, Dagat stalked off toward the side of the arena, a trident clutched tightly in his dominant hand.

quote:

Move: Advancing 30' to i0
Action: Dodge- incoming attack rolls have disadvantage and Dagat has advantage on dex saves.
Bonus Action: Tunnel Fighting Stance- It doesn't eat my reaction to make an attack of opportunity when an enemy leaves my reach.

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Nov 13, 2018

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Dagat Tuth
SD: 3/4d8 Save DC: 13

Wiping the soot from his shell, Dagat simply gives an unimpressed shake of the head as he continues to steadily advance along the arena, wall at his side.

Giving the lone trident he'd grabbed another heft to test the balance, Dagat gives it his all and hurls the poorly balanced weapon in answer to the Butcher's attack on Earl. It was a close thing, but the prongs manage to find a bit of exposed flesh nonetheless.

quote:

Move: Advancing to o0
Action: Throwing my trident at the Butcher with disadvantage for long range 14* hits for 8 piercing damage.
Bonus Action: Second Wind: Dagat heals 13 hp and is back to full.

*9 base from disadvantage +3 bless +2 from spending a superiority die for precision strike.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Dagat Tuth
SD: 1/4d8 Save DC: 13
Second Wind: Used Action Surge: Used

As the Emissary is dragged off into a pit, Dagat gives an annoyed grunt. It was bad taste to offer protection only to see your charge struck within moments. Gripping the pitted greataxe with both of his hands, the lumbering tortle charged in, sweeping behind the butcher, and took a pair of chops with the intent of hamstringing the brute.

quote:

Move: Dagat advances 25' to t5

Action: Great Axe attack vs Butcher: 15 to hit deals 5 + 8 from Trip Attack for a total of 13 slashing damage.

Butcher makes his save and remains standing.

Action Surge: Great Axe attack vs Butcher: 16 to hit 8 + 1 damage from Trip Attack for a total of 9 slashing damage.

Butcher makes his save again and is still standing.

Bonus Action: Tunnel Fighting Stance- It doesn't eat my reaction to make an attack of opportunity when an enemy leaves my reach. [1d20+5 for 1d12+3 slashing]

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Dagat Tuth
HP: 27/36 AC: 17 HD: 4/4d10
SD: 0/4d8 Save DC: 13

Dagat lets out a small grunt as the first solid blow against him manages to land. "By all means continue to believe you have the upper hand," Dagat's axe flits downward once again, opening another nasty gash in the Butcher's surprisingly sturdy legs "This will be over soon enough."

quote:

Dagat bleeds 1hp down to 27, 1 turn of bleed 1 remaining.

Action: Great Axe vs Butcher 19 to hit for 12 slashing damage after Trip Attack

Butcher makes his save and is still standing. Sorry I can't pin that advantage giving in Arcturus :v:

Bonus Action: Tunnel Fighting Stance- It doesn't eat my reaction to make an attack of opportunity when an enemy leaves my reach. [1d20+5 for 1d12+3 slashing]

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Dagat Tuth
HP: 26/36 AC: 17 HD: 4/4d10

Having had just about enough of the cannibal's rambling, Dagat silently swings his axe home in the shadow of Arcturus' own missed attack. It was a solid hit, but the stocky madman was still hanging on by the barest thread.

quote:

Dagat bleeds 1 and is no longer bleeding.

Action: Great axe vs Butcher 24, before confirming Earl's bless is up, hits for 8 slashing damage.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Dagat Tuth
HP: 35/36 AC: 17 HD: 3/4d10
Second Wind: Available Action Surge: Available
Inspiration: No

As the final blows are struck, Dagat's grip on the haft of his shoddy great axe finally loosens and the rough weapon slams to the ground. The crowds are letting out an absolute roar to express their pleasure, but he had a hard time basking in it. Blood sport was hardly a part of his daily life and now that the moment was over it was beginning to weigh on him, the edge of discomfort blunted ever so slightly by the monstrous nature of the Butcher. Until the recent events that had lead to his death Dagat had only had to fight against the occasional skirmish by the foul creatures that resided in the sea, taking the life of a person was still unsettling, monster or not.

The guards eventually emerge, intent on ushering the conquering heroes out of the arena, shaking Dagat out of his stupor. Huldrak presents their rewards and Dagat seems mildly baffled. The fact that one would need to prove they lived somewhere a foreign idea. The money is at least familiar in the abstract, plenty of visitors to Talagain at first offered coin before having the islander's customs explained to them. He wasn't on the island any longer though, and in coming days Dagat would have to actually learn how an economy worked. For now he just expressed a seemingly appropriate level of gratitude and stepped down to hear what else Huldrak had to say.

Dagat holds back, listening to Huldrak as the mad dash for the various macabre items begins. It seems if he had any hope of actually taking his revenge he'd have to play along with this Octavimus' requests. Once the mad dash to scoop up the macabre spoils of their victory is over, Dagat approaches the table where the guards had lain out the gear. The sole remaining item is the odd machine the mad cannibal had been wearing. It was far too bulky for most of the assembled to ever have a hope of using, Arcturus aside if he put some time into bulking up, but it seemed like it could be put to good use. It was clearly not meant to be worn by someone with a 300lb shell on their back, but he managed to compromise, the machine settled in on his side with the hook dangling at his waist, ready to be snatched up and flung.

With their business here done, Dagat gives a stiff shrug "It is unlikely that I would find my way home by chance, so I imagine I shall see you all at this Octavimus' temple soon enough." He glances out toward the hustle and bustle of the city "I shall need to secure lodgings and food before a trip to trade in tales and goods, but without doubt I shall see you again." At that he tersely leaves, mistakenly striding out into a world he was nowhere near ready to experience.

Hours later and Dagat is sitting on the floor of a room he managed to book a few blocks from the city center, the floor scattered with an abundance of dubiously useful items that were pushed on him by keen merchants, smelling fresh blood in the waters, in the markets he'd visited. He'd managed to equip himself with the basics of combat to be sure, but the nearly completely empty pouch of coin, that had just a brief time ago been bulging, was a dizzying experience. Rested, washed and having managed to apply his marks of station across his shell with an expensive lacquer, Dagat sets out into the city once again. He had nothing else to do and no real means to do it with if he had further tasks, and so he made his way toward the center of the city to meet this Lord Octavimus.

quote:

Acquired:
Butcher's Hook

Shopping:
Clothes (Fine) Shell Paints 15gp
Alchemist's Fire x4 200gp
Antitoxin 50gp
Brewer's Supplies 20gp
Cook's Utensils 1gp
Drum 6gp
Dungeoneer's Pack 12gp (backpack, crowbar, hammer, 10 pitons, 10 torches, tinderbox, 10 days rations, waterskin, and 50' of rope.)
Glaive 20gp
Healer's Kit 5gp
Holy Water 25gp
Perfume (Vial) 5gp
Pot, Iron 2gp
Potion of Healing x4 200gp
1.3gp paid into a Comfortable room/meals for a day.

Dagat setting aside 37.7gp for the remaining month's worth of Comfortable Living(Food and Board), leaving him at 0gp remaining.

Short Rest- Resting in his room before heading to meet Octavimus.

Spent 1HD and gain back 9 hp leaving him just shy of full.
Action Surge, Second Wind and Superiority dice regenerate.

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 17, 2018

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Dagat Tuth
HP: 26/36 AC: 17 HD: 4/4d10

Apparently a quick bath and a re-equip had done wonders for Dagat. The tortle striding into Hoar's temple no longer held a sluggish shabby aura around him. Crimson paint flowed around his eyes and down his face, blending into multicolored stripes of laquer that covered the edge of his shell to denote his statiom and achievements. He'd of course need a proper attendant to complete the work one day, but for now he'd reclaimed some of his dignity.

The state of the temple would have been a surprise if it had been the first bit of the city he'd seen, but given his time in the bazaar and wandering the streets before finding the Traitor's Gate, the defaced temple was hardly unexpected.

Huldrak gets an inclination of the head in greeting as the hulk calls out their presence. Grip tightening on the haft of his glaive, Dagat shifted his weight side to side to dispel some discomfort. He'd been on the other side of such introductions hundreds of times before and the unfamiliarity was odd.

Giving his shell a thump with his free hand, Dagat copied a gesture given to him by many visitors to Talagain before, bending forward in as best a bow as he could manage. "This Hoar is unknown to my people, but I am not one to turn away aid when it is given." Dagat glances briefly to the rest of the Reborn before continuing "I certainly wish to avenge my people, a sentiment I likely share with my fellow abductees in some fashion, but I will not see that done idling in some city in the middle of nowhere. What is it exactly this creature wishes done that I might secure its aid in my own endeavors?"

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Dagat Tuth
HP: 35/36 AC: 17 HD: 3/4d10
Inspiration: No

Dagat works his mouth for a second as he pondered the Hoarite's non-commital response. The news that there were portals that could potentially get him home was a ray of hope at the least.

"My people draw our power from the spirits of the land, but I am not entirely unfamiliar with the divine. I cannot say I have heard of a being similiar to your Hoar, but given what has happened it's a hard thing to deny the power of."

Coming to the realization that this church is currently his best option, Dagat slams his fist against his shell again and nods "My weapon will swing at your behest so long as you intend on enabling me to avenge my people-" His hand tightens on his weapon "-and so long as your morals do not align with those who've spited me."

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Dagat Tuth
HP: 43/44 AC: 17 HD: 4/5d10
SD: 4/4d8 Save DC: 14
Vengeance: Available

The first sound from Dagat after the visions hit was a pained gasping for air. Reliving his drowning time and time again had been unpleasant to say the least. But there was a renewed anger flaring up in his heart and his shock is worn away.

When the gift had been offered Dagat saw no point in refusing. The Lord Octavimus had promised them aid in their quests for vengeance and that was a start. The magical armaments that were to come later would likely be of more aid, but yes this was a decent start.

Hobbling back to his feet and reclaiming his dropped weapon, Dagat gives the Lord a solemn nod, his breathing already having settled after the ordeal, his body standing firmer than it had just moments before. "If this league is intent on spreading fear and danger then I have no qualms with removing them."

quote:

Dagat accepts the gift.

Level 5
+8 hp
Extra Attack: Can attack twice per Attack Action.
Prof Bonus goes to 3 bumping up my trained skills and Save DC by 1.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Dagat Tuth
HP: 43/44 AC: 17 HD: 4/5d10

"Left once again to our own devices it is then." Dagat considers the options laid out before them for a moment and nods decisively "This note that The Emissary received is an intriguing thing and nightfall is well on its way to falling. I would not be surprised to learn that this note is from the very people we are hunting, aiming perhaps to poach us as allies or to dispose of us before we become a nuisance, but I suppose one must throw a line into the sea to find food or predator alike."

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Dagat Tuth
HP: 44/44 AC: 17 HD: 5/5d10

Arcturus gets a long curious stare, or more specifically his new mount does. Dagat wasn't unfamiliar with animals, but it was his first time seeing a creature such as his. Now that he'd had a night to calm down and center himself, he was having to adjust to all sorts of new things. The city of Curst may have been relatively small on the cosmic scale of things, but there were many races present that Dagat had never seen before. Talagain being one of the only safe ports around had exposed him to a smattering of peoples, lizardfolk, humans of all sorts and even some birdfolk that were of a decidedly different sort than Marbles. The onrush of exposure to new peoples was a touch exhilarating.

Dagat does eventually manage to bring himself back into the moment, giving a solid nod to Arcturus' suggestion "Seeking out those who might sympathize with us is as solid a plan as any I suppose." he glances toward the assembled group for a moment considering their number "There's safety to be found in numbers and I imagine if we're attempting to draw the anarchist's attention our little menagerie here will do a fine job of pulling eyes to us. All the same I am just as able to ply my weapon to the defense of others should we wish to split our paths and cast a wider net over our tasks."

quote:

Long Rest brings me back to full hp and grants 1/2 my HD back, likewise bringing me to full.

Dagat's main priority is in agreement with Arcturus, but if some of the squishies want to head off with some muscle to put between them and the enemy he'll go along with them after prompting.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Dagat Tuth

Dagat hadn't been expecting this to go smoothly, but even still the brusque reception of the general populace was fairly uncomfortable. Thankfully it seems that was coming to an end as an opportunity revealed itself. He nods as the dwarf points out the obvious fact that they stuck out like a sore thumb "Judging by the reaction to my person thus far I imagine I am the first of my kind any in this city has seen, so we shall continue to stick out I think. But at the very least it is pleasant to find amiable souls in this hectic land."

Social niceties hadn't been a large part of his job description. While Dagat had a head for language and was happy enough to facilitate trade with Talagain's more exotic visitors, but the vast majority of the entertaining and socializing with their regulars was left to his attendants. Nevertheless he'd had some practice at least, and something about this situation was making his shell itch.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Dagat Tuth

A few subtle glances around and Dagat was suddenly having second thoughts about this whole situation. Still they were short on leads. "Good as always to widen the net we are casting. My thanks for your help master Trakius, it is an important task we've been set to and any threads we might grasp at will be useful.

Dagat gives another passing glance at the merchant's goods and nods to himself "We've a good length of time before this elf closes up I imagine, Arcturus. I have one more lead we might follow up on if you have no other pressing business." he tilts his head off in the direction of the market opposite their tail "It should not take a long while to deal with."

quote:

Provided the merchant here doesn't try to immediately rob us, Dagat is inclined to head off and try to lure the tail to a more secluded corner of the market where we can gently ask them what they're up to.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Dagat Tuth

Dagat was a touch surprised by this newly revealed side of Arcturus, but as the man laid out his dogma he came to understand. The words the paladin was throwing about were not all that dissimilar to those the invaders of Talagain had been bandying about, but there was a particular conviction behind them that proved they weren't just a justification for harsh action.

Coming back to the moment, Dayat gave a disappointed shake of the head to their tail. The tortle wasn't the most perceptive person on the best of days and even he had managed to spot this tail, their foes were either incompetent or didn't actually put too much stock in the newly arrived reborn as threats and had sent a lowly member of their ranks.

Arcturus seemed to have things in hand in the threat department, so Dagat just did his best to appropriately loom with his hand placed on the hook of the former Butcher's odd contraption.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Dagat Tuth

Dagat seems to calm a touch when it becomes apparent he and Arcturus hadn't had some kind of assassin tailing them. His grip on the Butcher's hook slacks and he lets his hand settle instead on his hip.

Giving the halfling a long stare, Dagat seems to finally come to a conclusion "If you are as innocent as you claim then you should have no problem accepting an offer of hospitality." He points back toward the market "We can collect this elf of yours and bring her into safe keeping for a time. Meanwhile we can confirm your story and meet with your betters."

Picking through his thoughts for another few moments of awkward silence, Dagat lets out a slow grumble from the back of his throat "If you and your people are truly not affiliated with those we seek or guilt is being laid on the wrong shoulders then I am sure we will be able to turn our investigation toward the true guilty party.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Dagat Tuth

Dagat shakes his head sharply and gestures off to the side with his weapon "Leave. You will be found again should you have betrayed our expectations."

This was unlikely to be a betrayal given Finn's good samaritan was being kept under watch, but Dagat wasn't taking any chances and set his stance as he followed Arcturus to move forward.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Dagat Tuth

It's no small relief when the lever leads to an entrance opening rather than an immediate death, but it's hard to maintain the momentary bump in his spirits when the pair actually descend. The disarray that was found didn't speak all that well of the occupants.

Dagat pointedly ignores the woman that is not so subtly insulting his intelligence, instead opting to address the booming genasi. He wasn't actually sure where the other lot was exactly so he stuck to things he knew "It was not particularly difficult. An hour or two of questioning the populace led to this location being turned over. He runs a finger along one of lines of paint on his shell and huffs "True loyalty is a hard won thing and it appears you do not have it instilled in your people."

quote:

I imagine I know how this goes down, but this was Arcturus' show so I'll leave the screaming of "Have at you!" Or starting questioning to him.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Dagat Tuth

Dagat lets out a beleaguered sigh ""It was expected that things would fall down this path, so I cannot say I am surprised." He sets his stance, glaive held at the ready "I shall do my best not to kill you so that more persuasive folk than I may sway you to a more noble path, but I make no promises.

What stands for a grimace crosses Dagat's face as he recalls some of the unpleasantness on Talagain, his people made to answer questions in the most unwholesome of ways. "Should we not be able to sway you from this path, then I am sure the holy men can pull the answers we need from your corpses."

quote:

Initiative came out to 11

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Dagat Tuth
SD: 2/4d8 Save DC: 14
Second Wind: Available Action Surge: Used

Negotiations having broken down and Nikola having revealed herself as a caster laden with tricks, Dagat rushes in with a surprising speed compared to his normal lumbering gate.

With his hands finally on a properly weighted and not rusted put weapon he is free to practice what had kept his people safe until their recent upsets. His glaive flits in a wide arc, blade ripping effortlessly through two of the caster's illusions, only for the blade to come hurtling back in at an awkward angle to deliver a pair of wounds to the real body.

As an afterthought he flicked the butt of his pole arm forward, striking a clean hole through the last of the images pointedly, intent on wiping the smug smile off of Nikola's face just in time for Arcturus' spell blade to come hurtling through the air at her.

quote:

Move: Dagat closes with Nikola
Action: Attack vs Nikola is redirected to mirror image: 12+1 from precision attack pops it.

Extra Attack vs Nikola is redirected to mirror image 14 pops it.

Action Surge Attack to Nikola: 22 vs AC hits for 11 slashing

Action Surge Extra Attack: 20 vs AC hits for 13 slashing

Bonus Action Polearm Attack is redirected to a mirror image 12+1 from precision strike pops the last one.

Targeting on Mirror Image Image Image Her Her Image.

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jan 27, 2019

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Dagat Tuth

Dagat spares no thoughts for the escaping anarchists, they'd been tasked with dealing with the anarchist leadership and it seemed they had that well in hand. The panicking cowards might eventually regroup and decide on a new leader, but that was a problem for Octavimus and his small army to deal with on another day.

All it takes is a quick snap of the wrist to clear his blade of Nikola's blood. Turning his attention to the Genasi he raises his weapon, now poised to strike a killing blow on the anarchist leader he restates his earlier offer "As was said before, I am willing to offer clemency to you in hopes that people more persuasive than I might sway you back onto a less harmful path, but I will not offer again." He nods down to Nikola, his arms tensing "This one is on the brink, but may be tended to still. I would suggest thinking wisely about your response."

The tortle lets out a mirthful snort as his new compatriots stroll in through one of the side passages, another captured anarchist in their possession. He glances at the genasi and tilts his head "You asked where the rest of us were? Well your question has been answered." He nods appreciatively to the squishier members of the group "I trust you had little issue?"

quote:

If the Genasi seems like he'll be cooperative Dagat will use a charge off his healing kit to stabilize Nikola for transport back to the church.

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Feb 5, 2019

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Dagat Tuth

Dagat gives a deep inclination of his head as Octavamis welcomes the crew back from their short day of work.

He gives a slight shake of the head when the Hoarite points to the genasi "If the halfling who leaked information to us is to be believed, then the person your inquries must be directed toward is the human, Nikola"

Settling into a more casual stance he continues, glancing at Arcturus from time to time for affirmation "There wasn't much to our investigation on this end. Arcturus and I ran into a helpful dwarf by the name of Trakius, selling second hand or corpse looted weapons in the market, who pointed us to the elf we delivered to Huldrak earlier. The elf's companion in turn pointed us to the safehouse that housed our recent confrontation."

quote:

I don't have any of my books in front of me for another week and a bit, so I don't have any hard requests. Posting might be a bit rushed/spaced out til I'm back home proper, but I'll try to keep on top of it.

My preference for items is probably Weapon->Utility->Defense, but I'd be happy with whatever.

Dagat could use a +1 glaive or halberd(Major Item non-attunement) or something with a twist like the Butcher's Blade (Likely attunement if it did anything more than a small tweak above a normal +1.)

Being a tortle means armor is useless to me so a Cloak of Protection (+1ac/saves. Major Item attunement required) would be a helpful patch.

A Clockwork Amulet (common, minor non attunement) could be handy. Lets you choose to have a 10 on an attack roll once per day rather than rolling.

I'm not crazy about consumables, but it's hard to argue with a pile of minor potions of differing sorts, they can come in handy.

Gimmicky custom items(reusable or not) that would help widen the breadth of what I can contribute as a pure martial would be solid too.

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Feb 24, 2019

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Dagat Tuth

Dagat spares the anarchist captives a final glance before putting them out of his mind. The Reborn's actions had removed an element harming the city through it's misguided actions and now fresh wounds could begin to heal. Octavimus' soldiers would no doubt be able to root out the remaining trouble makers.

There's little time left to ponder any longer over the consequences of their actions as Octavimus leads them deeper into the temple. Huldrak gets an approving nod as he displays the physique of a proper warrior, but the tortle's attention is quickly pulled to display of gear stowed in the space.

Dagat isn't sure what to make of his new weapon at first, his swings feeling clumsy as he gives it a good few practice swings. Eventually he manages to get the unbalanced feeling under control, his mind and body adapting to the idea that the haft will extend and allow him to use the increased weight to swing ever harder at more unconventionally sized enemies.

Placing his palm against the flat of The Equalizer's blade, Dagat gives a grunt of satisfaction, it was a weapon that would have seen great use during the invasion of Talagain. The enemy had used great beasts, summoned with their odd arcane magics, that had been a great deal harder to deal with than any man he'd fought before. With a handle gained on his blade, Dagat gives a stiff bow of thanks to Octavimus and then to Huldrak "A fine tool. I imagine will find its purpose fulfilled time and time again as I follow the path opened to avenge Talagain."

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Dagat Tuth
Second Wind: Available Action Surge: Avaliable

Dagat had bid the group good evening almost as soon as they'd set foot in the Traitor's Gate, the whole the group had been through was more draining than he'd anticipated and sleep came over him almost immediately.

The rest had been a welcome thing, but Dagat was itching to get back into the swing of things almost immediately. It was another day of canvassing neighborhoods and questioning tucked away locals and it had turned up some actionable information.

Taking on a quick meal, Dagat pondered over the scant options they'd managed to suss out. It would be a lie if he were to say he wasn't interested in the bog just to be near to a body of water, but his interest had more than one facet "I can see the benefit of wading into a prison to free the expert, but the danger of doing such a thing hardly seems like the benefit would be worth the risk. It is, I assume, built up to hold people who are knowledgeable in traversing these lands and no doubt exiting will not be a simple task."

Dagat pauses for a time to hear the group's opinions before pointing to the bog near the lake "Here I believe we are likely to find what we need. From what we've heard there are many traveling folk coming in and out of the area. While we are not likely to find someone with a depth of knowledge like the prisoner, we should be able to pull from a breadth of differing experience and widen our own net of potential destinations, outside of just this Sigil."

quote:

Long rest resets all my junk.

Dagat's vote is basically Semuanya's Bog->Carceri->Hopeless in terms of interest.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Dagat Tuth

It was hard to say that he was excited about visiting this bog anymore. The prospect of being close to the water had been an enticing draw, but the sheer oppressive weight of the air was much different to the balmy sea breeze he was used to. Nevertheless it was better than being in the dusty city of Curst for now, he'd take the small change in situation for a blessing in spite of its downsides.

The village was a shock to say the very least. Dagat had been excited to meet with a new people, perhaps getting a chance to flex his ability with languages as they sought out the path to Sigil. The sheer level of violence here had been nearly unthinkable to him. His prowess with a weapon proved he was no stranger to death, but the sheer scale of what had happened to the people here would be unthinkable, had his people not just recently suffered an attack of a similar scale.

Arcturus putting his nose to the grindstone and making inquiries knocks Dagat out of his own head. His eyes narrow as he stares at the corpse, listening to the explanation of what is before them. " These are nothing I have seen before. My people are able to shape the raw elements into a form and the invaders of Talagain tore holes in the air, bringing twisted beasts from elsewhere onto our island. Neither power seems reminiscent of this foulness..."

Leaving Arcturus to his investigations Dagat strides with purpose toward the macabre display, slamming the butt of his new weapon firmly into the muck. Nothing good would come of leaving the bodies of this village to their fate, so he set to the grim task of clearing the village's defenseless from the defiled ritual site to inter them as best he could.

quote:

Given there's not really a sea around to anchor the bodies down into, Dagat will do his best to clear up the defiled ritual stone of corpses and weight them down into the swamp.

Provided nothing immediate happens or the group doesn't call for another course of action, he's happy to give the bloat-corpses a look and try to track them back to where they came from with a survival check.

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 28, 2019

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Dagat Tuth

Dagat lets out a heavy sigh as he finishes clearing away the worst of the desecration. Given it seemed the trail had been handily picked up, he snatches his weapon up from the muck, grateful he'd at least had the time to send the little ones back to the elements.

Trundling his way over to the tracks, he gives an approving nod to their odd bird companion "Indeed, well spotted." It was a hard thing to ponder, but in the end Dagat would be remiss to tend to the dead while there were living people still in danger "I am not pleased about leaving such a desecration behind, but the opportunity to hunt down the perpetrators is too important. That we may likely peel the secrets we need from their hides will be extra satisfaction."

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Dagat Tuth

There's a faint sense of awe in Dagat's eyes when he sees the giant across the way. Tortles were by no means small, but even his grandfather, who had been one of the largest, didn't hold a candle to the size of this one.

When it becomes clear that the giant lizardman isn't affected by the same taint as the other, Dagat gives a resolved nod, pointing toward the feasting creature. "Do try to keep it alive if you can. If it can be swayed to a task, it may be able to be set to the protection of whatever villagers may yet survive in this cave."

With Marbles scuttling off into the underbrush, explosive flask in hand, Dagat waits patiently for the signal to begin the oncoming clash.

quote:

Working on the assumption Arcturus tells us Big Boy isn't tainted, Dagat will be going for non-lethal hits there.

Otherwise I'm good to go into initiative.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Dagat Tuth
SD: 0/4d8 Save DC: 14

As the blessings of Earl's god wash over him, Dagat takes half a moment to assess where he'd be best put to use. Sizing up the largest threat, he nods to himself and strides out from the underbrush, slamming his weapon across his chest and pointing it at the biggest creature there as it reaches for its weapon.

Casting off his normal lumbering gait, Dagat speeds across the gap and unleashes a pair of swipes towards the giant's legs, the equalizer extending in length to aid in striking down a larger foe. It seems the lizardman is going to remain standing, but a quick butt of his weapon's haft to its face sends it careening into the dirt.

The giant lizardman makes several attempts to stand, but Dagat is ready, the flat of his weapon whipping out across the bamboozled lizard's face each time it makes the attempt.

"The giant teeters on the brink, strike a blow to render it unconscious while I occupy it, or leave it to me if you would focus on our other friends."

quote:

Dagat Moves into range between the big lizard and its handler to the right.

Attack 1 Vs Big Lizard
Crit for 13 slashing damage + an additional 13 from the crit and Trip Attack attempt (which fails)

Attack 2 Vs Big Lizard
Hits thanks to Bless at 15 for 14 slashing Damage.

Spending another superiority die to attempt a trip attack again which goes better. He fails his save with a 10 and takes 7 more damage, falling prone.

Bonus Action Attack Vs Big Lizard
21 hits for 9 bludgeoning damage.

Action Surge Attack 1 advantage vs prone within 5ft.
Bless saves the day again and makes it so an 16 hits for 17 slashing damage.

Burning another Superiority Die for trip damage 5 more.

Action Surge 2 advantage vs prone within 5ft.
19 to hit for 11 slashing damage.

Burning last Superiority Die for the 1 turn knock out! And it's just a 5 damage hit, leaving Big Lizard at 1hp . :negative: (barring any shenanigans he has)

Dagat's doing non-lethal for what it matters, so hopefully someone can give him a final bop on the head to knock him out, or I can take care of him at the top of the round.

e: Fixed a copy paste/math error.

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jun 18, 2019

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Dagat Tuth

The giant lizard man gets a quick few pokes from the butt of his halberd, but Dagat seems satisfied that the lunk is down for the count. He'd hit less robust people, with far less vigorous strikes, before and killed them cleanly, so he felt good about the hulking warrior staying down for at least a short while. Whether some swamp beast decided to come to scavenge the corpses while they were inside the cave was another matter, but they didn't have time to waste on fretting.

Turning his attention toward the cave, Dagat gives Arcturus a nod and moves to follow "Lead on."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Dagat Tuth

With several of the enemy thoroughly terrified, amused, or enraged, Dagat takes it on himself to draw the first real wound of the battle. Shifting his blade to his off hand, Dagat gives the cruel looking hook hanging at his side a quick jerk to loosen some chain and looses it through the air, catching the demon's bodyguard in the shoulder. With a quick flick of a switch, the contraption attached to his shell begins to grind away faster than it really seems like it should be able to, and in moments the Barlgura has been hauled across the wide distance between them.

Re-taking his grip on the Equalizer, Dagat sets his stance and strikes upward, just as the demon gorilla enters his range, cleaving a hefty blow across the thing's chest. His blade raised far above his head, Dagat strikes down with the butt of his weapon, slamming the blunt end of his magical weapon down upon the thing's knee. It wasn't as thoroughly brutalized as he'd left the giant lizardfolk outside, but he could only hope that the creature's attention would be pulled away from Marbles, so that the little trickster could continue to operate in peace.

quote:

Move: Dagat moves between the bottom two lizardfolk.
Action:
Attack 1: Butcher's Hook Vs. Barlgura: 19 vs AC hits and drags the Barlgura adjacent to me.
Attack 2: Glaive vs Barlgura: 19 vs AC hits and deals 12 magical slashing damage.
Bonus Action: Glaive Bonus Attack: 21 vs AC hits and deals 5 magical bludgeoning damage.

Opportunity Action: If the Barlgura tries to follow up on the glare at Marbles, I'll give it a smack (1d20+7 for 1d10+4) if it leaves my reach. Otherwise it can go against either of the lizardfolk.

Positioning for reference