Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Earl Kettler

HP: 31/31
AC: 12
HD: 4/4d8
Spell Slots: 4/3

Earl approaches each one of his fated companions and introduces himself, extending a hand and shaking the hands of any who return the gesture. After individual introductions, he speaks to the group as he approaches the "armory". "Howdy there, my name is Earl. Look like y'all be the ones that got stuck with me this time. Don't worry though, I've learned a bit from the last getup, I'm sure I'll get farther this go about." He puts on the suit of rags and picks up the greataxe, but instead of giving it a couple trial swings as one might expect he points it towards the ground and jams it in to the soil like a shovel, planting his heel on the flat bottom of the head, making decent progress. "Guess this'll do for now" he says as picks the axe back up and walks over to the guards to stand with the rest.

quote:

Earl Kettler
Race: Human (Variant)
Class: Cleric 4
Archetype: Death Domain
Deity: Kelemvor
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Background: Hermit

AC: 11
Initiative:+1

Stats
STR: 13
DEX: 12
CON: 15 (14 Array, +1 Race)
INT: 8
WIS: 18 (15 Array, +1 Race, +2 ASI @ 4)
CHA: 10

Feats
Warcaster

Skill Proficiencies
Medicine (Background)
Religion (Background)
Insight (Class)
History (Class)
Perception (Race)

Armor Proficiencies: Light, Medium, Shields
Weapon Proficiencies: All Simple and Martial.

Languages: Common (Race), Undercommon (Background)

Cantrips:
-Guidance
-Chill Touch (Death Domain)
-Toll the Dead
-Mending
-Light

Domain Spells:
1st - False Life, Ray of Sickness
2nd - Blindness/Deafness, Ray of Enfeeblement

Prepared Spells:
1st - Ceremony, Cure Wounds, Bless, Inflict Wounds
2nd - Spiritual Weapon, Prayer of Healing, Lesser Restoration, Gentle Repose

Personality Traits: Earl is oblivious to etiquette or social expectations. He has spent his entire life around corpses, so he has no boundaries when it comes to the macabre.

Ideals: Live and let live. When I first created Earl for the Out of the Abyss game I was in, my inspiration for him was “Forrest Gump, but instead of getting drafted for Vietnam he gets sent to the Underdark”. He’s very much a “poo poo happens” kinda guy.

Bond: My isolation gave me great insight into a great evil that only I can destroy. Earl is still convinced he is a chosen of Kelemvor and destined hero.

Flaw: I am dogmatic in my thoughts and philosophy. Earl’s only priority in life is fulfilling his destiny as a chosen of Kelemvor. The morality or ethics of what he has to do to fulfill this destiny is of little consequence to him, but that does not mean he will go out of his way to cause harm.

Equipment:
-Ragged robes
-Manacles
-Arcane muzzle
-Gladiator Pieces
-Greataxe

Reik fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Nov 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Earl Kettler

When the armored figure and nightmare dot matrix printer come out, Earl turns to the group with his mouth agape and tries to subtlety point at them, conveying something like "Are you guys seeing this?" He appears genuinely tickled by the situation you've found yourselves in.

Reik fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Nov 12, 2018

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Earl Kettler

HD: 4/4d8
Spell Slots: 4/3

Earl is very amused by Marble's antics, and uses it as an icebreaker to start asking questions of the armored figure, but his questions quickly devolve in to rambling. "Are you sure it's that Hoar guy that brought me back? I'm pretty sure it was Kelemvor.. He's got pretty big plans for me that one. Maybe he ordered Hoar to do it for him? Does Hoar work for him? Do you work for him? Have you met him? I've never met him."

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Earl Kettler

Earl looks towards Dagat and Marbles and attempts to assuage any fear created by the threat of the giant humanoid with the cleaver. "I'm pretty sure that guy doesn't even know how to cook." He then pulls out his roughly hewn holy symbol of Kelemvor and mutters a short prayer. "Kelemvor, I'm pretty sure we're not s'posed to die here, so if you could help us out that would be great."

Earl casts Bless with a first level spell slot, targeting Dagat, Marbles, and himself. He then moves forward 30 feet to square i6.

quote:

Spell Slots Remaining:
1st - 3/4
2nd - 3/3
Concentration: Bless
Active Spells: Bless (10 rounds)

Reik fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 13, 2018

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Earl Kettler

Deciding that the Butcher in front of him should lose his lunch, as his lunch most likely consists of the corpses of slain individuals that were not properly put to rest, Earl channels negative energy through his holy symbol and extends a hand towards the Butcher. A sickly viridian beam shoots forth and hits the target in his bulbous belly, turning the skin around the affected site green. Earl then turn towards back towards his allies to warn them about being pulled in by the hook he narrowily avoided. "Hey guys you might want to, oh..." However, Earl realizes he's the last horse to cross the finish line when he sees the rest of his newfound companions have already taken cover.

quote:

Move: Advancing to l5.
Action: Cast Ray of Sickness in a 1st level slot at the Butcher. 25* hits for 9 poison damage. Requires a DC 14 Constitution save or be Poisoned until the end of my next turn.

*1d20+1d4+6: 25 [1d20=16] [1d4=3]
2d8: 9 [2d8=8, 1]

Spell Slots Remaining:
1st - 2/4
2nd - 3/3
Active Spells: Bless (9 Rounds)

Reik fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Nov 14, 2018

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Earl Kettler

The firebolt from the druid scorches Earl in the chest, and it brings back the memory of his death at the hands of the Drow. Determined to not make the same mistake twice, Earl heeds the advice of his new demon pal and try to let the druid know it's his time. He turns his great axe around and jams it in the dirt like a shovel while whispering a short incantation, and when he does so a spectral shovel appears dug in to ground next to the druid. The shovel raises up, and at Earl's direction slams in to their arm with a crunching noise. When it makes contact, a small burst of black negative energy emanates from the shovel, and some flesh on the druid's arm sloughs off. Next, Earl grasps his holy symbol, which looks like a bony hand clutching scales, and calls forth a spectral hand of his own. The hand launches towards the druid and clutches his arm right where the shovel had landed, decaying more of the flesh and preventing the wound from healing.

quote:

Bonus Action: Cast Spiritual Weapon in square q9, attacking Ranthir. Hit with 20* for 6 force damage, activate Touch of Death Channel divinity dealing an additional 13 necrotic damage for a total of 19
Action: Cast Chill Touch targeting Ranthir. Hit with 21** for 6 necrotic damage. Ranthir can not regain hit points until the start of my next turn.
Move: Advancing to p11.

*1d20+1d4+6: 20 [1d20=10] [1d4=4]
1d8+4: 6 [1d8=2]
**1d20+1d4+6: 21 [1d20=12] [1d4=3]
1d8: 6 [1d8=6]

HP: 24/31
Concentration Save: +2 with Advantage

Spell Slots Remaining:
1st - 2/4
2nd - 2/3
Active Spells: Bless (8 Rounds), Spiritual Weapon (10 rounds)

Reik fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Nov 14, 2018

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Earl Kettler

Earl reels in pain from the teeth of the panther tearing out his flesh. He looks down and inspects the wound for a few seconds "I reckon that one ain't gon heal on its own." He channels positive energy through his holy symbol and places his right hand over where his left shoulder used to be. The muscles begin to repair and the wounds close. He does a couple rotations of his newly repaired left shoulder before directing his ethereal shovel to return the favor by striking the panther.

quote:

Two DC 10 concentration saves from hits taken passed with 25, 11^
Action: Cast Cure Wounds on self with 2nd level spell slot, healing 15* damage.
Bonus Action: Make attack with Spiritual Weapon targeting Ranthir. Barely hit with 14** for 9 force damage.

^2#1d20+1d4+2: 2 # 25 [1d20=20] [1d4=3] 11 [1d20=6] [1d4=3]
*2d8+4: 15 [2d8=3, 8]
**1d20+1d4+6: 14 [1d20=4] [1d4=4]
1d8+4: 9 [1d8=5]

Concentration Save: +2 with Advantage

Spell Slots Remaining:
1st - 2/4
2nd - 1/3
Active Spells: Bless (7 Rounds), Spiritual Weapon (9 rounds)

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Earl Kettler

Earl continues to mend his scorched wounds as quickly as the twisted druid can deliver them. Seeing the Butcher on his last leg from the relentless assault of his newfound friends, Earl redirects his ghostly shovel over to deliver the final blow. This time, instead of bludgeoning the foe the shovel turns on it's side and slices through the gut of the butcher, his entrails spilling out as he falls over.

quote:

Three DC 10 concentration saving throws passed 17, 22, 24
Action: Cast Cure Wounds on self with 2nd level spell slot, healing 18! damage.
Bonus Action: Move spiritual weapon 15 feet to square r6 and attack the Butcher, hitting with a roll of 25 and dealing 8 force damage.

Spell Slots Remaining:
1st - 2/4
2nd - 0/3
Active Spells: Bless (6 Rounds), Spiritual Weapon (8 rounds)

Reik fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Nov 16, 2018

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Earl Kettler

Earl has a solemn look on his face as the light fades from the druid. The butcher appeared to revel in his work, while Ranthir seemed a prisoner like himself. Earl joins his companions to the market, and asks the locals about temples in the city as well as what they do with the bodies of those that die in the arena, if there's a mass grave or whatnot. He would also like to try and purchase a map of the city.

Shopping List
-Warhammer 15g
-Shield 10g
-Scale Armor 50g
-Holy Symbol of Kelemvor, Reliquary 5g
-Explorer's pack 10g
-2 Flasks of Holy Water 50g
-Potion of Healing 50g
-Climber's Kit 25g
-Traveler's clothes 2g
-100g of powdered silver.
-2 Healer's kits 10g
Total 327 gold

Reik fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Nov 17, 2018

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Earl Kettler

Earl surprisingly looked more appropriate in his gladiator rags than his new raiment. Covered in scales and skulls, the Cleric of Kelemvor's grimdark armament does not match his general optimism and candor. He gives a nod and a smile to Huldrak when they enter the temple and listens intently to Octavimus. "Oh wow, I didn't reckon I'd run in to another Chosen out here. I'm a Chosen of Kelemvor, myself. He's got me on a very important quest right now, I imagine that's why he had your Hoar fellow to pull me back out of the Fugue Plane after that run in I had with that Drow lady. Maybe my quest needed me to get out here to help you lot out, it's the least I could do after you got me out of that bind."

If Octavimus is the kind of person that would know or be able to determine, Earl is definitely not a Chosen of Kelemvor, but he does not appear to be attempting to mislead anyone, he's just mistaken.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Earl Kettler
AC: 17 | HP 38/38 | Spells 4/3/2 | Spell Save DC 15

The memories flood in to Earl, his final moments engulfed in flame, hearing his own flesh crackle and pop like a boar on a spit. Then, older memories flood in, memories of conversations overheard when he was still working at the cemetery. Conversations between the members of the church that had sent him on his quest, conversations he was not supposed to hear. These conversations seemed harmless to Earl though, they were just details of the quest he was destined to go on. When his mind returns to the present he is covered in sweat, but he maintains his naive composure and optimism.

"I reckon I can help you take care of these troublemakers. No task is too menial for a chosen one."

quote:

Earl denies Hoar's gift, acquiring "My Path Is My Own"

Level 5
+7 Hit Points
+2 level 3 spell slots
+2 domain Spells: Animated Dead/Vampiric Touch
+3 proficiency bonus, spell save DC 15

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Earl Kettler

After leaving the temple, Earl approaches the clerics and workers surveying the damage of the attack. He asks them if anyone was killed in the attack, and if so, where their bodies are located so he can speak with them tomorrow if he needs to. Once he has finished his questioning, he make a quick stop by the bazaar, then rejoins his companions.

quote:

Earl would like to purchase a diamond worth 300g as the material component for Revivify and complete a long rest if possible.

Reik fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Dec 9, 2018

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Earl Kettler

When Ark suggests they confront them directly he nods his head along. "Iffin we know where these folks are I reckon we should just go deal with them before they go blowin any more temples to pieces."

quote:

New Prepared Spell list:
-Healing Word
-Cure Wounds
-Bless
-Inflict Wounds
-Spiritual Weapon
-Gentle Repose
-Lesser Restoration
-Speak With Dead
-Revivify

Domain Spells:
-False Life
-Ray of Sickness
-Blindness/Deafness
-Ray of Enfeeblement
-Animate Dead
-Vampiric Touch

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

frajaq posted:

Roll Perception

Earl Kettler

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Earl Kettler

Once Earl notices the odd plate and he seems to become oblivious to the kids in front of him and the escalating situation between them and his companions. "I reckon this over here lookin' pretty funny, don't it?". He walks over to the plate very matter-of-factly, and if he is not interrupted he will try and swing it open.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Earl Kettler

After opening the hatch, Earl turns back towards his companions and starts to speak, continuing to do so as Marbles approaches and begins inspecting the passageway. "Y'all thinkin' we should go in now or wait for those two other folk?" Earl then turns towards the children and addresses them "Thissin' place got a back door?"

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Earl Kettler
AC: 17 | HP 38/38 | Spells 4/3/1 | Spell Save DC 15

Earl approaches the Minotaur as his arm is wreathed in a dark energy. He grabs the Minotaur by his left horn and the dark energy transfers from Earl to him, causing his body to shrivel and his horn to turn to dust.

quote:

Casting Inflict Wounds on the Minotaur with a level 3 spell slot and using Channel Divinity: Touch of death. 22 to hit for 21+15=36 damage.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Earl Kettler
AC: 17 | HP 26/38 | Spells 4/2/1 | Spell Save DC 15

With the largest foe dispatched, Earl begins to try and deal with the stragglers before they flee their day of judgment. He mutters a short prayer and a spectral bell appears above the head of one of the anarchists, emitting a thunderous gong. The anarchist grimaces and puts his hands over his ears, but much to Earl's dismay it appears the bell does not toll for for this anarchist today, as they steel themselves and resist the bell's effect.

Not one to be so easily deterred, Earl continues his ghostly assault on the anarchist by summoning up his trusty ethereal shovel, and with a single quick strike the shovel blade decapitates the anarchist

quote:

Using action to cast Toll the Dead Cantrip at the anarchist in F-3, who passes his save with a 15.

Using bonus action to cast Spiritual Weapon in square E-2, making an attack at the anarchist in F-3. Lands a Critical Hit! for a total of 12 + 8 = 20 damage.

Reik fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 18, 2019

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Earl Kettler
AC: 19 (17 + 2 Shield of Faith) | HP 19/38 | Spells 4/2/1 | Spell Save DC 15

With only one anarchist still at range, Earl focuses his efforts to bring him down, using the same deadly combination of shovel and bell, but this time the anarchist is unable to resist the thunderous gong of the funeral bell.

quote:

Using bonus action to direct the Spiritual Weapon in square E-2, making an attack at the anarchist in D-1 and Hitting for 10 damage.

Using action to cast Toll the Dead Cantrip at the anarchist in D-1, who failes his save with a 5 and suffers 9 damage.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Earl Kettler
AC: 17 | HP 19/38 | Spells 4/2/1 | Spell Save DC 15

While Ark and Marbles are dealing with the loot and the living, Earl drags the dead bodies of the anarchists together and lines them up in an orderly fashion. He takes the head of the anarchists he decapitated, jams a shard of a table leg in to it, and then stabs the head back in to the neck. He nods, proud of his on-the-fly mortician work and stands over the corpses, performing a brief ceremony for the dead. He then rejoins the rest of the gang, throwing the halfling over his shoulder like a sack of potatoes.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Earl Kettler
AC: 17 | HP 19/38 | Spells 4/2/1 | Spell Save DC 15

"Aw shucks, it was nothin' you know? We just went down to the ol' junk heap and pushed some stuff around and next thing you know we're walkin' down a hall waist deep in people tryin' da stab us and whatnot and there was this one guy that looked like a bull but not a bull but he didn't do much so we just took care of them and brought em up here you know us chosen gotta help each other out and stuff." Earl's recollection of the events does not mesh well with the group's gruesome memories of how he "took care" of them, but Earl doesn't appear to be holding anything back on purpose, it's just another day at work for a "Chosen of Kelemvor".

quote:

I think Earl will go with a Sentinel Shield if that's alright.

Reik fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Feb 22, 2019

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Earl Kettler

In what appears to be almost a routine for him, Earl dismounts and pulls his shovel out of his pack. He tries to find a relatively dry locations for a graveyard and begins preparing the corpses of the natives for burial. He will also investigate the bloated creatures to see if they are humanoids deserving of burial or if they're undead.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Earl Kettler
AC: 17 | HP 38/38 | Spells 4/2/2 | Spell Save DC 15

Earl pulls out his holy symbol and mutters short prayer "Kelemvor, I don't much know if you deal with lizard people souls but if you do we'd might appreciate some help sending these ones to ya."

quote:

Casting Bless in a level 2 spell slot to affect 4 targets: Arcturus, Marbles, Dagat, Earl.

Concentration: Bless 10 rounds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Earl Kettler
AC: 17 | HP 38/38 | Spells 4/2/1 | Spell Save DC 15

Earl lifts his golden scales of justice high "Hey Kelemvor, yeah it's me Earl again, this time it's demons or something and I know you don't like those, so we'd mighty appreciate your help for another go around."

quote:

Casting Bless in a level 3 spell slot this time to affect all 5 party members.

Concentration: Bless 10 rounds