Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Something I hope CK3 does is have some kind of "show me how these two people are related" button.

Picking two people and showing me their last common ancestor would be pretty cool. One of the things I like to do is picking a king and tracing back their inheritance and see how, like, random Welsh dynasties became Kings in Norway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

It's pretty impressive that they went to the effort of modelling that, but how long does it take to implement the effects of the adopted innovations?
Given the way technology generally works in these games, I would assume they go into effect instantly.

E.g., upload greek.clt to brain, "I know Greek Fire."

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 10:01 on May 23, 2020

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Turns out you can get rid of Imperial Elective as the Byzantines. The patriarch made me go gavelkind as penance so now everyone loves me and my one son now more than ever!

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Arbite posted:

Turns out you can get rid of Imperial Elective as the Byzantines. The patriarch made me go gavelkind as penance so now everyone loves me and my one son now more than ever!

God drat. Time to break out the paint buckets.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

MinistryofLard posted:

Picking two people and showing me their last common ancestor would be pretty cool. One of the things I like to do is picking a king and tracing back their inheritance and see how, like, random Welsh dynasties became Kings in Norway.

I could spend hours paused while looking through the title history of the various nations to see what kind of shenanigans went on. :spergin:

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
This is the reason why the game needs a character history feature. EU:Rome had it and it wasn't good (At age 5 Falloth Maximus became kind.) but it'd do wonders for immersion. Some of the history is simulated with traits and relationships in CK2, but it's not the same. There's a chronicles feature but it's not needed at all because it lists huge important events that happened to you, you couldn't have missed them.

I realize there are memory constraints and this feature would be hard to support and balance. But wouldn't everyone want this?

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
It's a cool idea, but detailed per-character histories go beyond memory into storage concerns -- such a feature would absolutely explode savegame filesize, likely to the point where saving, loading, and parsing saves would be a challenge. Our games already sometimes struggle with this, even with a bunch of sacrifices in the name of performance having already been made.

(Don't mean to shut down discussion or anything, just thought some of you might find a developer perspective interesting.)

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

ilitarist posted:

This is the reason why the game needs a character history feature. EU:Rome had it and it wasn't good (At age 5 Falloth Maximus became kind.) but it'd do wonders for immersion. Some of the history is simulated with traits and relationships in CK2, but it's not the same. There's a chronicles feature but it's not needed at all because it lists huge important events that happened to you, you couldn't have missed them.

I realize there are memory constraints and this feature would be hard to support and balance. But wouldn't everyone want this?

That feature is the biggest reason why I have such fond memories of EU:Rome.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

LordMune posted:

It's a cool idea, but detailed per-character histories go beyond memory into storage concerns -- such a feature would absolutely explode savegame filesize, likely to the point where saving, loading, and parsing saves would be a challenge. Our games already sometimes struggle with this, even with a bunch of sacrifices in the name of performance having already been made.

(Don't mean to shut down discussion or anything, just thought some of you might find a developer perspective interesting.)

With this scale it's hard to find a solution, yeah. Like I instantly see a solution with storing a stack of, say, 5 main defining events. When something more important happens an older event is forgotten. So a character became a friend of an Emperor, fought in 2 battles, created a kingdom of Sicily and won a tourney. Now he murders a king and it pushes one of the battles (smaller one) out. Naturally there are a lot of calculations added here.

Not trying to pretend I can give any advice on the matter or that there's an easy solution, just say that no matter what you do it's a flavor feature that consumes a lot of resources. And I still want it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

LordMune posted:

Can't Paradox just hurry up and invent quantum computers so we can have more immersive strategy games? :v:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

LordMune posted:

I feel like you could probably manage this with some kind of "forgotten to history" thing, where some amount of time after a character's death their history just gets wiped out, but yeah even if it was strictly limited to living characters it would probably be a challenging hurdle to overcome. The Sims had memories in 2 and from an expansion pack in 3 which was a similar sort of thing, where it just kept a record of key moments in a character's life, and it was a notorious source of save bloat. And there were far fewer sims per town than there are characters in CK.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I feel like you could probably manage this with some kind of "forgotten to history" thing, where some amount of time after a character's death their history just gets wiped out, but yeah even if it was strictly limited to living characters it would probably be a challenging hurdle to overcome. The Sims had memories in 2 and from an expansion pack in 3 which was a similar sort of thing, where it just kept a record of key moments in a character's life, and it was a notorious source of save bloat. And there were far fewer sims per town than there are characters in CK.

It'd be cute to fart things out into a little xml as the game plods along which is probably mod territory. Just on the subject of sims and memories, sims 4 sort of abandoned the memory system, but the memory data (the who was there, the caption and the emotion) is actually saved into exif data in the screenshots (which is why they take a lifetime to load in game).

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I've mostly been playing the challenges since they've come out, but now I'm having something weird happen. I can't start a new game with mods and stuff because it only wants to start in Ironman or Bronzeman. How do I make it... not do that?

Never mind, I got it working: it was angry because I was playing a Bronzeman game before I started a new game, I guess

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 01:27 on May 25, 2020

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
In absolute awe of this guy's chin. Don't think I've ever seen the game make a face quite like this before

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

super fart shooter posted:

In absolute awe of this guy's chin. Don't think I've ever seen the game make a face quite like this before

Looks like your dynasty is going places.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

LordMune posted:

Can you elaborate on this? I haven't seen this issue in my own game dev work, and my previous job included parsing big-data that makes world-state parsing in games seem like a guppy in the ocean. So I'm having trouble seeing a scenario where you can't save/load/parse a JSON with a giant growth curve in more than 10 or so seconds. I was always under the impression that the bulk of load times involved graphical assets due to their large sizes and memory limits.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Note that CK3 minimum system requirements are 10 years old PC.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

SweetBro posted:

Can you elaborate on this?

absolutely not I'm not a programmer, that was just more or less what I was told when I asked for some non-essential character data to persist for a few days after character death. I have seen what some bugs during development did to savegame sizes (which in their proper state are already one to two orders of magnitude larger than your average console game save) and how it impacted performance, so I have no reason to question it. I'm not a programmer specifically so I don't have to think about how much five pieces of data per character who has ever lived over the course of a couple of in-game centuries adds up to.

A wild guess would be that more objects in a save might not be the issue per se, but rather the tracking of these variables and the ridiculous (and often non-asynchronous) math we have to do all the time, on everything, forever. But I have no actual idea; don't let this post inform your view of how our games work.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Coolguye posted:

CK2 was not a good game on release, I’m amazed people didn’t immediately contradict that. It was pretty much objectively worse than CK1 for a long time, be it from bugs ruining entire saves via save corruption or to virtual soft locks from half implemented special features hemming the player in or just plain no agency if you had the audacity to start as a count. Or the unspeakable triviality that was the late game because assassination plots were literally just pay coins to kill man. Reverting to a lot of these launch rules now turns off achievements because they were so loving bad.

It took a long time to stop spymasters from tattling on themselves and give people actual mechanics to engage with before CK2 started to truly resemble the masterpiece we have today. While I’m sure a lot of things can be backburnered or simply left out (stuff like the invasions, be they historical or not, are simply not a big part of an average game), it still feels like a big “citation needed” to claim that it’ll be anything but a good foundation for further growth on release.

ck2 on release was a good game for someone who was too young for, and put off by the general oldness of, ck1. i think ck3 might be the same thing for ck2 if it's as good as it looks.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

https://www.crusaderkings.com/news/dev-diary-28-art-focus

New dev diary.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

just thought of a cool idea for a mod where your spouse moves closer to you if you have positive relations, until you are standing side by side, and then recedes into the background if you hate each other.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 7 days!)

when you do something bad they slide slowly backwards with the sound of a chair scooting on hardwood

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Is there an easy way to extend or cancel the end date for the game? I think I would enjoy empire building more if there wasn't such a hard time pressure, especially since I like to start off as counts.

Peanut President posted:

when you do something bad they slide slowly backwards with the sound of a chair scooting on hardwood

When you start plotting against someone they know they do that "fixed smile side eye" thing

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Is there an easy way to extend or cancel the end date for the game? I think I would enjoy empire building more if there wasn't such a hard time pressure, especially since I like to start off as counts.

On one hand it's a very easy mod to do (it's only one file to change, and this mod should take care of it).

On the other hand, unless you're starting in 1337 for some reason or trying to do a WC, it really isn't as much time pressure as it sounds like. Even 1066-1453 is almost 4 centuries, (if you start earlier you can add 1-200 more years to that), and basically nobody plays through that entire time period unless they're going for the achievement.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Dallan Invictus posted:

On one hand it's a very easy mod to do (it's only one file to change, and this mod should take care of it).

On the other hand, unless you're starting in 1337 for some reason or trying to do a WC, it really isn't as much time pressure as it sounds like. Even 1066-1453 is almost 4 centuries, (if you start earlier you can add 1-200 more years to that), and basically nobody plays through that entire time period unless they're going for the achievement.

It's not that big of a deal, true, but I like to go for big empires and the thought of the game suddenly going "whoops time's up!" is a turn off. Even at 400+ years there's still a little bit of "listen you useless priest, I have ten provinces to convert and you've been working on one for five years, get a move on already".

It makes me a little too aggressive tbh, I end up overexpanding to try and consolidate power quickly then my empire just falls to pieces with pissed off vassals and revolts.

Thanks for the link

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

MinistryofLard posted:

This is why I almost always play as custom characters -- when you start off as the only person in your dynasty who ever existed, it means that every single dynast you see in the game sooner or later has someone you played as in their list of ancestors. It's fun clicking on random people and seeing how far back you have to go to find one of your played characters.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

fuf posted:

just thought of a cool idea for a mod where your spouse moves closer to you if you have positive relations, until you are standing side by side, and then recedes into the background if you hate each other.

You know he had to do it* to em

*fabricate a claim on their duchy

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Count Anselmo the Steward is moving way too much for me. I know it sounds silly, but if you have that many moving parts while trying to take in information, they all need to be singing from the same hymn sheet concerning movement amount, speed and direction. Basically I don't want to see them move, I just want reassured that they can and aren't jpgs. Ambient as hell, like trees. (I would however, if i were a dev, embed incredibly low odds easter egg animations where they flip you off or something really quickly, just so noone can replicate or get a screenshot.)

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Peanut President posted:

and i've got the perfect guy for the job! i hear geddup noise's back in business and if he doesn't bite we'll get chairscoot

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Like 90% of the character art looks really lovely. I can't wait to see how they keep improving that and expand it in the future. This feels like a universal system for PDS games going forward.

I do hope that the continue working on the holdings post-launch like it's implied in one of the dev answers. I don't really like how many PDS games just have sprawl across entire provinces, but those baronies are a little too barren for my liking.

Looks great overall though, imo.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

quote:

There’s a rumor going around that some of you CK2 players rarely look at the terrain map. We didn’t want that for CK3, so we made our map to not only be moody and pretty to look at, but also more useful, so you’d have more reasons to go there.

I swear I've read this quote or something like it in a dev diary for every upcoming paradox game since EU3. Will this finally be the game that gets people using the terrain map regularly?

no

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Reveilled posted:

I swear I've read this quote or something like it in a dev diary for every upcoming paradox game since EU3. Will this finally be the game that gets people using the terrain map regularly?

no

The problem is that no terrain map, no matter how pretty or realistic the graphics are, will be able to convey information as easily and quickly as "the green province is a forest, the grey province is a mountain".

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I am excited for there actually being color coding and coat of arms on our little army people. I cannot wait to put people in the dumbest color combinations possible.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The problem is that no terrain map, no matter how pretty or realistic the graphics are, will be able to convey information as easily and quickly as "the green province is a forest, the grey province is a mountain".

The other problem is that in these games usually only a mountain province actually affects combat enough for you to actually care what the terrain is, and with a 3D political map you can usually tell pretty easily which provinces are probably mountains.

Also, in what I can only attribute to rampant unoriginality on the part of the devs, the mountains never change position between games. Why's there always mountains in Switzerland, paradox? Why does every map have that loving boot-peninsula meme? Answer me that, you hacks.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Maybe if the terrain map also showed things like how built-up the cities are or how fertile or profitable the land was. There's just not really much need for a photorealistic satellite view of medieval Europe, so if they don't make it in some way difficult to leave political maps on all the time, that's gonna be what most players do. Maybe if it's somehow important to really know what season it is locally, that could be a reason to leave it on?

Otherwise, the terrain isn't going to change any time soon, so if you can just quickly check it, it's best to go back to a meaningful mapmode as soon as possible.

If you want the terrain map to be useful informationally, you'd want to make a higher contrast map that clearly showed ingame province borders instead of photorealism that follows real-world terrain patterns. If their artistic vision is just players soaring their camera over beautiful vistas, then the best they can do is just some beautiful vistas exist and let players decide whether they care or if they're soulless minmaxing machines.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

They could also split the difference and have a mode that shows the terrain and the political situation. I mean, Civilization manages it. Just draw the borders instead of painting the entire countryside purple. I'd love to look at the forests etc., but you can't see where your country is in terrain mode.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

One of them used to do that, EU4? Terrain mode showed the borders over it, but it wasn't quite right somehow, don't remember well enough to describe why.

I would like to look at a photorealistic map of Europe all game. :unsmith:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I think people are forgetting CK3 no longer has a separate terrain mode in the old sense. The realm mode shows you terrain at close zoom, realm colors at middle zoom, and the paper map at far zoom. All those screenshots are just realm mode zoomed in.

You can see it in action in the first map diary from a few weeks ago and that gameplay video.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Yeah Imperator and the recent Total War games do this too and it's a really cool way of seamlessly shifting between the pretty terrain and the information you need to know like borders. There's even a mod for CK2 that does it: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1578835612

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.
I’m sure it would be a huge pain in the rear end, but I think it’d be neat to have the transition from regent to ruler handoff be much more disputed. Like if a content regent who liked the previous ruler gave way to a success-son at 16 was the minimum, have a ambitious regent have to have their filthy claws forcibly removed from an average (or even dull) ruler into their early 20s be a maximum. Maybe even leading to a civil war. Could lead to interesting outcomes.

I just played as a hater ruler (went North Korea mode to consolidate absolute county-level ownership of a super duchy when I hit 70) lead to my semi-qualified daughter as heir, who survived a regent who was more than -30 opinion for 5+ years before she took over and was able to mend relationships. Seemed like a ripe time for someone to dispute the succession.

The North Tower fucked around with this message at 09:55 on May 27, 2020