Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Eimi posted:

I am very glad that they did not go down the civ6 route. That artstyle is unappealing.

Seriously. The current trend of dumb cartoony graphics is a loving pox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

PittTheElder posted:

I like it in Sea of Thieves, but it goes with the tone of the game. The Civ6 stuff is horrible.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Arbite posted:

Are there any videos yet of how fast these 3d models are going to load/how fast you can click between them? As much effort as is put into them I have to imagine that will matter more than appearance after an hour in game.
There's gameplay videos out there and there's no noticeable delay. The GPU and caching are probably doing most of the heavy lifting there.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

PittTheElder posted:

It comes in waves and Civ is a good example of that. Civilization 3 tried to go for photorealistic graphics with detailed leader portraits and realistic calm color palette. Civ4 had cartoonish characters and exaggerated proportions for everything. Civ5 was photorealistic again. Civ6 is a cartoon. I can bet all my money on Civ7 being back to realistic leaders and landscape.

This lets you escape direct comparisons to previous installments. Paradox devs were probably afraid that realistic 3D could not look as good as 2D portraits at least in static screenshots. Of course it would still allow for animation and a much greater diversity but people might look at screenshots and say that this game doesn't look much better than previous one, no need to bother. They probably added bodies so that you can instantly see some progress too. If they'd switch style completely (like they did between CK1 and 2) you couldn't make a direct comparison and make videos a la "Far Cry 2 VS Far Cry 5: DOWNGRADE?!"

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Eimi posted:

I am very glad that they did not go down the civ6 route. That artstyle is unappealing.

Absolutely what turned me off civ 6. Could be a great game, never got that far in, I'll never know. There's no middle ground with it, it just looks like something to appeal to kids and inform them, designed by a committee. If I'm playing Civ this is my real little world, so crumby graphics are fine and sometimes add to it because they're less distracting, but that unambiguous tone actually makes anything happen in it feel like I'm taking a history lesson aimed way way below my age group. You'd be amazed what a style like that can do.

There might be future potential for people to mod too much or official expansions to expand too much and it get cluttered or slow as hell, but as is, it looks like just the right tone and functionality nailed.

They're not bouncing around like cybering fortnite chars but look alive enough to work as profiles in a menu. They're not quite real enough for it to be some potential snuff themed sandbox, not quite cartoonish enough to be patronizing or tone setting. I feel like a lot of really good fine tuning went into this perfect balance of looking modern but not overcooked or styled and I really appreciate it. I'd probably play more of those card game the video game things if they got it just right like this.

VVVV:

No Pants posted:

Was playing my final game of CK2 when I again got this bug where a nomad settling ended up creating exactly 999 extra titular empires.
I did not know stellaris mods from loverslab were backwards compatible on any paradox games. How did you get this one to work?

wit fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jul 29, 2020

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Was playing my final game of CK2 when I again got this bug where a nomad settling ended up creating exactly 999 extra titular empires. I'd be extremely disappointed if I was playing iron man because the engine could not handle that guy dying.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

wit posted:

They're not quite real enough for it to be some potential snuff themed sandbox

The Internet: You underestimate my power

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Reveilled posted:

The Internet: You underestimate my power

Yeah, give it about 3 months with the HD repacks, the everyone is that japanese girl reskin and now buzzsaw mod.

That's not a warning, that's my patreon update, we're in a recession

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
drat, I really regret getting into alliances at the king/emperor level. I haven't been able to go raiding in almost 20 years because they keep starting massive loving holy wars they can't possibly win. And since the wars never end, I can't dissolve the alliance.

Also, I don't get how elective voting works sometime. I have a person that refuses to vote for me despite a score of 65-15 in my favor. She doesn't seem to be returning a favor and she doesn't hate me, so who knows.

E: got reelected as emperor, but in my absence the government type is now anarchy. How do I pull that back to elective aristocratic empire that I had before?

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jul 29, 2020

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Demon_Corsair posted:

E: got reelected as emperor, but in my absence the government type is now anarchy. How do I pull that back to elective aristocratic empire that I had before?

Afaik, "anarchy" is a fail-safe that means your combination of titles/succession/realm laws doesn't match up to any of the playable types the game recognizes. It should only happen due to a bug or mod fuckery. Or some extremely niche case like inheriting a theocratic title as a secular/noble ruler.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Demon_Corsair posted:

drat, I really regret getting into alliances at the king/emperor level. I haven't been able to go raiding in almost 20 years because they keep starting massive loving holy wars they can't possibly win. And since the wars never end, I can't dissolve the alliance.

Also, I don't get how elective voting works sometime. I have a person that refuses to vote for me despite a score of 65-15 in my favor. She doesn't seem to be returning a favor and she doesn't hate me, so who knows.

Use retinues for raiding. Toggle raiding on the stack before you get dragged into a war and you can still raid during it. I use tribal retinues specifically, because they cost prestige to replenish instead of gold.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

another thing you can do is build a tribal holding in a county where there are already castles. works really well with conquest cbs. depending on the number of baronies, you'll get 500-1500 zero upkeep troops and no diplo hit. lotta heavy infantry too and substantially better than any of the garbage you'll be fielding for at least a century.

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost
I've played a lot of CK2 and yet

Never got the event where you go bonkers because your Good Heir died, this is some grim poo poo

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
If your highest title is count-level, is there any reason at all to be concerned about your learning stat, given you don't generate technology points?

Connected to this, if I'm a count is there any way at all to influence technology progress, indirectly perhaps?

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

If your highest title is count-level, is there any reason at all to be concerned about your learning stat, given you don't generate technology points?

Connected to this, if I'm a count is there any way at all to influence technology progress, indirectly perhaps?

Spymaster to Istanbul, observatory event chain in the scholarship focus, individual council research projects? i think thats pretty much it aside from waiting for random tech giving events.

i THINK learning also affects how well your kids are taught but dont quote me on that.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Spymaster to Istanbul, observatory event chain in the scholarship focus, individual council research projects? i think thats pretty much it aside from waiting for random tech giving events.

i THINK learning also affects how well your kids are taught but dont quote me on that.

Thanks. Just want to get that Legalism stat up to 3 (for obvious reasons).

I thought the only thing that affected a kid's education was their guardian's education, i.e. the trait to the far left - Thrifty Clerk, Grey Eminence, Fortune Builder etc, and things like bare stats were irrelevant.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Thanks. Just want to get that Legalism stat up to 3 (for obvious reasons).

Definitely go for the observatory and pick the neconomicon option, hooks you up with a ton of cultural tech

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
They've lost an opportunity to make that Saving Private Tyan gif.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

First half of that gif is, "Yes, I have 1000+ hours in CK2, how did you know?"

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i like how the fat guy's fig leaf gets pushed down and under his gut lmao

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Some gameplay footage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26vR8IdZmGQ

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

ha, I'm kind of glad they recruited that guy to do some official videos, he really loves talking about CK.

Too bad his name is "One Proud Bavarian", I mean wtf

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Also gameplay streams starting this week.

https://twitter.com/CrusaderKings/status/1290316656825311234

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

fuf posted:

Too bad his name is "One Proud Bavarian", I mean wtf

What's wrong with that?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I’ve posted before about listening to alternate music while playing this game and just got hit with this this morning:
https://soundcloud.com/the-ransom-note/maxime-denuc-the-monday-is-ok-mix

Recommended for catholic plays obviously.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Vichan posted:

What's wrong with that?

Bavaria is a den of indignity and vice.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Vichan posted:

What's wrong with that?

Filthy pretzel mongers.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

one proud bavarian is super excitable and sincere like quill, but you'll never shake that henky feeling when watching one of his vids.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Vichan posted:

What's wrong with that?

the last time germans took pride in their heritage didn’t work out so well.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

They don't need to feel internalized shame for all eternity because the Nazis existed.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Or do they?

I mean Abba Kovner had some good ideas.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

let's face facts, european plus really into medieval history is never a winning combination.

but he did not name himself spqr, sparta or praetorian, so you can watch the videos, just keep your head on a swivel.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I’ve watched at least most of his CK3 videos over the last few months, always expecting this video to be the one where he says something :yikes: and haven’t run into it yet.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

a fatguy baldspot posted:

the last time germans took pride in their heritage didn’t work out so well.

Bavarians have always had their own identity though.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Vichan posted:

Bavarians have always had their own identity though.

I know, I’m (mostly) joking

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Bavarians (like Austrians, Danes, The Dutch, The Swiss, Luxembourgers, and some Belgians) should accept that they're just variations of Germans

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Speaking of videos, someone noticed that there's a short cut in one of them where the game is on speed 5 and 2-3 months pass each second. The fact that a beta performs that well with a bigger world and more characters than CK2 ever had is a good sign.

And I guess it makes an east Asia expansion a lot more plausible since they certainly have the performance headroom for it.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I mean "One Proud [anything]" would make me raise an eyebrow tbh

I dunno I like him just feels like a potential milkshake duck but a version of milkshake duck where you have no excuse for not seeing it coming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Skipping over this new weird goon thing of actively looking for reasons to call someone terrible to post a tiny update on my Iberia game.

Suleyman's grandson is doing excellently, his reign is stable and the black plague was mostly uneventful thanks to a massive hospital building program. The next big thing for him is to decide whether or not to go through with marrying his heir to the queen of Egypt, as they are powerful, but also a massive internal mess as well as being a logistical problem to defend. Still not sure which way I'm gonna go.