Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

ninjahedgehog posted:

Also make it a text- and screenshot-based LP, because -- shocker -- this text, chart, and map-based game does not lend itself well to video at all.

My Earth 2150 trilogy LP literally took me 3 years to complete with each update taking around 3-4 hours to play+write. Text/screenshot LPs are a lot more work than video ones imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

axeil posted:

My Earth 2150 trilogy LP literally took me 3 years to complete with each update taking around 3-4 hours to play+write. Text/screenshot LPs are a lot more work than video ones imo.

Yeah they're definitely more work, but they're way more fun to read. We appreciate the effort. :)

Can't play until I get home from work, but apparently there's an event that's the exact opposite of Devilspawn called Blessed Child? Apparently it goes to second sons who don't stand to inherit anything, and gives them insane personal combat stats and a invasion CB that they can pass on through bloodlines. Has anyone seen this yet?

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

binge crotching posted:

There are new 50 piety nomadic horde options for every religion group. They look pretty good, especially now that the prestige light cavalry options have an offensive debuff.

The only piety option I'm seeing for nomads are light cavlary / horse archer mix which is garbage if tactics haven't been changed at all. Maybe you're talking about tribals? They have some new options, but again if tactics haven't been changed the light infantry / light cavalry one should blow all the others away. What do you mean by offensive debuff though? I'm not seeing anything about that in the game or the patch notes. Not that it would matter, the raid tactic is so good.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

ninjahedgehog posted:

Yeah they're definitely more work, but they're way more fun to read. We appreciate the effort. :)

Can't play until I get home from work, but apparently there's an event that's the exact opposite of Devilspawn called Blessed Child? Apparently it goes to second sons who don't stand to inherit anything, and gives them insane personal combat stats and a invasion CB that they can pass on through bloodlines. Has anyone seen this yet?

Nope, but I noticed that there's a game rule for disabling this.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Event spawned troops are still bullshit. Why does this lady randomly get 3000 free troops? I don't know and will never know.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I made a random world to mess around, just out of curiosity, and here's a screenshot from it:

There's a lot going on here. And yes, my character is an egg; that's what dragon children get, apparently. That egg is 13 years old.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Well, duelling people is awesome.

I was afraid that starting as Gotland was harder now because there are more provinces in Sweden and the two power blocks (Austergautland, just to the west, and Sundermanland, north of it) were bigger. I rerolled a high Martial guy, and immediately went for the King of Sweden ambition and declared Subjugation on one of the OPM. By he time it was over, the other two OPMs were taken. That left the two counties up north unclaimed, so I rushed them and managed to siege them faster than they did me. 4 Counties in less than a year, but by now I have no easy targets, and the closer one (the petty Kingdom of Vestergauland, to the west of Austergautlan) is being carpet sieged by Austergautlan. Specifically, by the only son and heir of the King of Austergautland.

I decide to try and assassinate the kid before he wins his war, and take a stab at a weakened Vestergauland the same day. He's hated by his Spymaster and Marshall, so after 30 gold I have 200% plot power. Meanwhile, I swear fealty to Austergautland, hoping to fish for some counties if the kid kicks the bucket.

Which he does, but my plot is discovered! The King naturally hates my guts, because I have killed his only heir. More importantly, he becomes my Rival. Which means I can duel him.

That's a good start, even if I have to deal with a -40 malus from being Dishonourable and a known murderer. Now to get myself killed in another duel and that will fix this problem.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Roland Jones posted:

I made a random world to mess around, just out of curiosity, and here's a screenshot from it:

There's a lot going on here. And yes, my character is an egg; that's what dragon children get, apparently. That egg is 13 years old.

that's a hedgehog. this character is a hedgehog.

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 13, 2018

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Radio Free Kobold posted:

that's a hedgehog. this character is a hedgehog.

A hedgehog queen, who (fortunately for me) is a continent away from my small realm. I'm pretty sure she's going to wreck, like, everyone around her.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

how does this even happen

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There seems to be a bi-theist spin to most of these random religion from that high god/evil god layout. A lot like Zorastrianism.

I like that you have an egg for a child portrait.

Pylons posted:

All the DLCs (except holy fury) are 50% off on the paradox store.

drat, it wasn't like that when last I checked. Now I get to waffle over whether I want to shell out for some extra background music or for portrait packs that my eyeballs can't differentiate as well.

Soho Joe posted:

So long Rome, I can't justify playing you for 200 more years but we had fun

time for pagans forever

I've never done it, but in theory what you're supposed to do once you get to the top of the world and keeping your empire intact is a massive hassle is just figure out a way to torpedo it all. Let imperial succession pass you by and retire to a nice little duchy to tend cabbages, or be as tyrannical as possible to get overthrown, even try engineering it so that you get a CK2 game over with no dynasty left, just like the real Roman emperors did.

makes sense if all the micromanagement is so hard no real person in-world could do it.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

i did a massive Duchy of Antioch (turned Kingdom of Jerusalem, turned Outremar Empire...) run a while back and it really is better to just let the AI run things after a certain point. like, tagswitch to some minor (or major) duchy in some part of the empire and tend cabbages or club egyptians or something.

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010

Roland Jones posted:

A hedgehog queen, who (fortunately for me) is a continent away from my small realm. I'm pretty sure she's going to wreck, like, everyone around her.

I could sit here hitting generate for hours.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

the new dlc has a random world generator, which just for giggles has an animal kingdom mode, which despite being 2% of the new content is going to be anything anyone talks about

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Random worlds, keep mashing right (and/or maybe left?) on the cultures option until you find the "secret" "Animal Kingdoms" option. The world generated will have all sorts of silliness.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

How is the random map generator? Does it shuffle random borders or create new geography ala the EU4 random new world generator?

Diogines fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 13, 2018

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Diogines posted:

How is the random mao generator?

Disappointing. They mostly just end up replacing the tyrants they overthrow.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

There seems to be a bi-theist spin to most of these random religion from that high god/evil god layout. A lot like Zorastrianism.

I like that you have an egg for a child portrait.

drat, it wasn't like that when last I checked. Now I get to waffle over whether I want to shell out for some extra background music or for portrait packs that my eyeballs can't differentiate as well.

I've never done it, but in theory what you're supposed to do once you get to the top of the world and keeping your empire intact is a massive hassle is just figure out a way to torpedo it all. Let imperial succession pass you by and retire to a nice little duchy to tend cabbages, or be as tyrannical as possible to get overthrown, even try engineering it so that you get a CK2 game over with no dynasty left, just like the real Roman emperors did.

makes sense if all the micromanagement is so hard no real person in-world could do it.

Having done a Rome 769 -> End Game playthrough it becomes incredibly tedious once Europe is under your thumb and the Islamic world is not a threat. If you're good at the game you can probably achieve this by around 1000 or so. It's probably better to stop actively trying to manage your realm because otherwise the game slows to a crawl as you try and figure out if you should give the Excharchate of Aquitaine to your rival who already has France, Brittany and Asturias or promote yet another duke who will hate you because he holds a feudal title and you've given out viceroyalties. And then after you make a decision another old Excharchate dies and you start the whole routine all over again.

axeil fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Nov 13, 2018

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

wiegieman posted:

Disappointing. They mostly just end up replacing the tyrants they overthrow.

to be fair he said random mao generator not random deng generator

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Uhhhhhhh...

UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
"Oh cool you get new events in battle if you join a warrior lodge" I think as I make the rare choice to have my ruler actually lead battles. First event is instant death, no decision giving a chance to avoid it.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Fat Samurai posted:

Now to get myself killed in another duel and that will fix this problem.

So congrats on your immortal undefeated duelist. Or more likely your armless legless blind incapable duelist who has seemed basically immortal for past 50 years of this regency.

I'm not at home and not able to play yet. Are you able to save Random World settings? I'm gonna always generate animal kingdoms so if I don't need to scroll through multiple times it'd be great.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

I am hella PEEVED posted:

I'm not at home and not able to play yet. Are you able to save Random World settings? I'm gonna always generate animal kingdoms so if I don't need to scroll through multiple times it'd be great.

I don't see a save button, and even backing out of custom game setup and returning resets the settings

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Diogines posted:

How is the random map generator? Does it shuffle random borders or create new geography ala the EU4 random new world generator?

Nah, it works like the random (old) world options in EU4. The various traits and stats of the provinces change, not the geography.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

How much control if any do you have over the randomness, for example, enable or disabling animals, keeping old religions etc?

Diogines fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Nov 13, 2018

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
This new update/expansion is great. There are so many really nice little changes everywhere.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Noticed you can use the Animal Kingdoms setting on Shattered Worlds too, not just Random Worlds.

Gonna have a bunch of fun with it, I bet!

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Charlz Guybon posted:

Can you post a map?

The new patch weired up the map a bit, but here's a religion map picture I took earlier.

Southern India is part of the Mongol Empire, as is the random Tengri in the North east. The Buddhism and Pink Hindu is Tibet, which reaches Byzantium.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Randomized states but left religions mostly alone.

Wound up with a tribal Christians who can raid and sacrifice people.

Small issue though, when I finally went feudal I can't actually complete a coronation. The final event pops twice and then doesn't vanish from my event list.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

binge crotching posted:

Looks like they were serious about getting rid of the tribal_invasion CB for non-tribals. It was already pretty limited in that you had to be pagan and be a part of a couple of different culture groups, but now it's either be tribal or have elective gavelkind. Or I guess be the head of the Aztec Empire / Mongol Empire ...

code:
or = {
        is_tribal = yes
        primary_title = {
                has_law = succ_elective_gavelkind
        }
        has_landed_title = e_mongol_empire
        has_landed_title = e_mexikha
}

Looks super easy to mod at least. Maybe add the Roman empire or something for funsies on world conquest games.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Anyone else have hosed up Arab portraits? Beards, hats and some bits of actual face are offset way to the left of the face itself. It's a little distracting.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
uh why is the game force crashing in the opening loading screen over and over now

edit: it was my suez canal mod. hopefully they update that one quick. i hate having the map cut in half

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Nov 14, 2018

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Diogines posted:

Does it shuffle random borders or create new geography ala the EU4 random new world generator?
it doesn't create new map geography. but there is a player created ck2 map gen from an earlier revision that does (ck2generator). a small modding community still exists around it and it'll probably be updated for holy fury in the next 6 to 12 months.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
There's a rule option in settings regarding "child of destiny," which I hadn't seen before. Looks loving awesome. It says it rarely generates great conquerers with special casus belli's and higher attributes. Basically exactly what I was bitching about wanting the other day lol.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Zane posted:

it doesn't create new map geography. but there is a player created ck2 map gen from an earlier revision that does (ck2generator). a small modding community still exists around it and it'll probably be updated for holy fury in the next 6 to 12 months.
Thanks. One other question, if you keep it too real world religions does it change the holy sites?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Huh, so be careful you aren't at war while your coronation is occurring. You get a bunch of little penalties. And amusingly you get a bad coronation trait that says you procrastinated in getting crowned even if you started the coronation the second you created your kingdom.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

The only piety option I'm seeing for nomads are light cavlary / horse archer mix which is garbage if tactics haven't been changed at all. Maybe you're talking about tribals? They have some new options, but again if tactics haven't been changed the light infantry / light cavalry one should blow all the others away. What do you mean by offensive debuff though? I'm not seeing anything about that in the game or the patch notes. Not that it would matter, the raid tactic is so good.

Spoilers don't work with code blocks, so scroll past this post if you don't want to see details.

Here is the base 25 prestige horde for example:
code:
HORDE_RETTYPE_CAV1 = 
{
        first_type = 3
        first_amount = 250

hire_cost = 25
        costs_prestige = yes

maintenance_multiplier = 0.50

potential = {
                is_nomadic = yes
        }

modifier = {
                light_cavalry_defensive = 0.5
                light_cavalry_offensive = -0.3
        }
}
And the new Dharmic religion one:

code:
HORDE_RETTYPE_EASTERN =
{
        first_type = 0
        first_amount = 125
        second_type = 3
        second_amount = 125

special_troops = horse_archers

hire_cost = 50
        costs_piety = yes

maintenance_multiplier = 0.25

potential = {
                is_nomadic = yes
                religion_group = indian_group
        }
        modifier = {
                light_infantry_offensive = 0.25
                light_infantry_defensive = 0.5
                light_cavalry_defensive = 0.5
                light_cavalry_offensive = -0.3
        }
}
Here is the Jewish one:

code:
HORDE_RETTYPE_JEWISH =
{
        first_type = 3
        first_amount = 125
        second_type = 1
        second_amount = 125

special_troops = horse_archers

hire_cost = 50
        costs_piety = yes

maintenance_multiplier = 0.25

potential = {
                is_nomadic = yes
                religion_group = jewish_group
        }
        modifier = {
                heavy_infantry_defensive = 0.25
                light_cavalry_defensive = 0.75
        }
}
As you can see, light cavalry gets a big defensive boost, and on all but a couple of them get an offensive debuff. The Jewish one is one of the few that doesn't.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

Volkerball posted:

There's a rule option in settings regarding "child of destiny," which I hadn't seen before. Looks loving awesome. It says it rarely generates great conquerers with special casus belli's and higher attributes. Basically exactly what I was bitching about wanting the other day lol.

Haven’t gotten home to check this update out yet. Do you mean this is a new rule for normal gameplay? Or is this part of the new random world thing?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Haven’t gotten home to check this update out yet. Do you mean this is a new rule for normal gameplay? Or is this part of the new random world thing?

Looks like it's a normal thing. Default it is set to on. idk if it disables ironman to turn it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
coptic city, barony, and temple graphics are the best in the game.