Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Playing at ffggc and it's super hard to not just buy more decks :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

IcePhoenix posted:

:yeah:

I opened one of my decks and I'm going to save the rest until I have a chance to play with them.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

My FLGS didn't have any start sets either. Everything they got in went to pre-orders, so I just grabbed a deck. Luckily, I don't really need the tokens, since I have: A. A 3D printer and B. Shitloads of tokens leftover from X-Wing 1.0 I can just use for this.

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

I grabbed a starter and two extra decks. So did most of my friends that are interested in trying the game. We’re gonna get together and open them tomorrow. Hoping for some good deck names more than anything else. :v:

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Got to play a couple games tonight with a friend that got a starter and a couple sealed decks. I'll play it some more. But the starter set doesn't feel like something I want to invest in when I can just find other tokens.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Got to play a couple games tonight with a friend that got a starter and a couple sealed decks. I'll play it some more. But the starter set doesn't feel like something I want to invest in when I can just find other tokens.

This: the tokens and doohickies are nothing to get hung up about, just make your own tokens.

You only need a deck, something to mark amber (like gems or beads), something to mark keys, and some wound tokens. You might need some other special marks for other powers, but you should know that before you take your deck out for a game.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Picked up one deck each for my gf and I since our game shop was also sold out on starters, used tokens from Netrunner (:rip:) and they worked just fine.

There's some weird poo poo in this game, I kind of love it. Her deck was mostly about blowing poo poo up and getting amber while doing so, so she almost never had any creatures out - which made a lot of my cards (which gained bonuses on fighting) worthless, since there was nothing to fight. However, I had some cards that gain bonuses when healing so I used some direct damage cards on my own units in order to heal them up for other bonuses. Eventually I wound up with four dudes out at once that contained a built-in heal engine, and her nukes couldn't keep up with me reaping 4 times every turn and I snagged the win. Game is real good.

Only thing I don't understand is the card Tunk, which is originally a Mars creature but I got it out of faction? Anyways, it gains an effect when I play other Mars creatures, which my deck contains none of. Feels a little weird that they didn't change the card's text to match its current house.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

CodfishCartographer posted:

Picked up one deck each for my gf and I since our game shop was also sold out on starters, used tokens from Netrunner (:rip:) and they worked just fine.

There's some weird poo poo in this game, I kind of love it. Her deck was mostly about blowing poo poo up and getting amber while doing so, so she almost never had any creatures out - which made a lot of my cards (which gained bonuses on fighting) worthless, since there was nothing to fight. However, I had some cards that gain bonuses when healing so I used some direct damage cards on my own units in order to heal them up for other bonuses. Eventually I wound up with four dudes out at once that contained a built-in heal engine, and her nukes couldn't keep up with me reaping 4 times every turn and I snagged the win. Game is real good.

Only thing I don't understand is the card Tunk, which is originally a Mars creature but I got it out of faction? Anyways, it gains an effect when I play other Mars creatures, which my deck contains none of. Feels a little weird that they didn't change the card's text to match its current house.

I searched for "KeyForge Tunk" on Google and it led me to this Reddit post where I gathered that occasionally you can find a "Maverick" (house-swapped) card in your decks. But yeah Tunk is just a vanilla 6/1 without any other Mars creatures.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Welp, I guess a 6/1 isn't the worst thing in the world, especially considering the deck likes fighting quite a bit. Still a little disappointing, but whatever, more reason to buy more decks :v:

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Of the two decks I bought, I think one definitely beats the other. I guess this is where chains come in handy to keep things interesting.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Somberbrero posted:

I hopped on Alliance to order some more starters for my store since we sold out of our 8 today, and they're completely out of stock. Thanks Fantasy Flight.

I was on FFG’s own site looking at the rules document (largely unhelpful as always) and noticed they’re out of archon decks. Seems like they continue to underprint.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
So CSI is cracking decks and posting the card list with prices going up to $200 :lol:

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/sq/1536640&page=1

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

IcePhoenix posted:

Inorite. I got my second, promising myself that would be it except sealed formats. Turns out it shares a house and plays very similarly to my first.

It was super difficult not to get a third but I prevailed.

Also, people are going bugfuck crazy over Horsemen and yeah, they're good with the righ support but they're not worth hundreds in and of themselves JFC.

I will never understand people who have enough ready cash to spend two hundred loving dollars on one deck of cards.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
FFG always, purposefully, underprints their first run which is annoying mostly when they can't fill their preorders. We had like 30 aGoT2e cores ordered and we got 12.

They usually have the second wave out within a couple months but not being able to even fully use the product because not everyone has it for those first first months is a real bitch.

Friend of mine that's a retailer in Singapore was saying that some people came in to his store with just the decks and wanted to borrow dice and stuff to use as tokens and he was complaining that they didn't want to buy the starter, but I think that's really FFGs fault and is there's a shortage of starters then this problem is going to get worse.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

So CSI is cracking decks and posting the card list with prices going up to $200 :lol:

I'm honestly curious how they're deciding that some decks are worth $12 and some are worth $200. At a glance, it looks like it's based on how many "special" cards are in the deck, which seems like a really dumb way of deciding it (Gee, this one has a maverick in it! It must be worth more, ignoring that out-of-faction Tunk is little more than a 6/1 vanilla creature!)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

People are being *really* dumb about valuing this game, they're treating it like it's a standard CCG where card rarity matters.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Bottom Liner posted:

None of those are tier 1 funny names but there’s some decent ones...and they’re all at the $12 level. I think the farmer of racism and wang the easily bruised are easily $200 decks if the game is popular.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Chill la Chill posted:

None of those are tier 1 funny names but there’s some decent ones...and they’re all at the $12 level. I think the farmer of racism and wang the easily bruised are easily $200 decks if the game is popular.

Yeah, I was there when my friend pulled Wang. It was glorious. Decent enough cards too, though I haven't looked at Mars enough to know if they work well together.
Still debating if I want to snag a starter set or pimp the game out a bit and get all custom tokens. At least the starter comes with two random decks so isn't bad value.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

LordAba posted:

Yeah, I was there when my friend pulled Wang. It was glorious. Decent enough cards too, though I haven't looked at Mars enough to know if they work well together.
Still debating if I want to snag a starter set or pimp the game out a bit and get all custom tokens. At least the starter comes with two random decks so isn't bad value.

Buy custom tokens. The starter set ones are uggo and that's basicalyl all you're buying it for. You can get a whole lot of custom tokens and two decks for the cost of the starter. If you can even find the loving starter.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Apparently you can open the box and look at the deck list and then close the box. Why FFG allowed this is WTF but maybe they were naive in believing that players would consider all deck 'equal'. It feels like MTG in a way all over again when you could look at the top of the packs and see the rares.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

thespaceinvader posted:

Buy custom tokens. The starter set ones are uggo and that's basicalyl all you're buying it for. You can get a whole lot of custom tokens and two decks for the cost of the starter. If you can even find the loving starter.

Which you can't and they are being sold at inflated prices. Why do I have this deja vu feeling????

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Mayveena posted:

Apparently you can open the box and look at the deck list and then close the box. Why FFG allowed this is WTF but maybe they were naive in believing that players would consider all deck 'equal'. It feels like MTG in a way all over again when you could look at the top of the packs and see the rares.

The boxes are glued closed, this is bullshit.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

thespaceinvader posted:

The boxes are glued closed, this is bullshit.

From Reddit:

"It does seem like a gigantic blunder to put the decklist cards on the end of the deck so that you can see it without breaking the seal. This makes it trivially easy for less scrupulous retailers to open up the deck boxes and check for the good ones to sell at marked up prices."

I've opened my boxes so I can't try this but I've seen this mentioned in other places as well.

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Nov 16, 2018

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I had bought the starter set and 2 booster decks and I'm just a bit disappointed that none of the decks had the Mars faction, so I only have 6 out of the 7 factions with 6 decks. I might just have to pick up an opened deck from CSI with Mars if I want a guaranteed one.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Wife and I played last night with the 2 decks we bought. I know we go t a few minor rules wrong, but even so, I got destroyed. Either my deck sucks, or I didn't figure out how to play it. probably that second one. She killed most of my creatures on her turn after I got them out, so I never really go to use them for anything. We'll have to try again and see how it goes. I think my main complaint was a lack of counters during your opponents turn. I just had to sit there and watch my creatures get killed off.

Chazani
Feb 19, 2013
I reserved a starter and 2 decks from my LGS after I heard the news the game sold out at FFG store. Seems that the store is starting to run low on starters as well.

I was planning to skip this, but after someone mentioned it has the euro solitaire vibe I got interested. It seems like a nice change from super intensive card games and I think I can hook some players who normally don't go for card games.

Excited to try it out!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm an impulsive gently caress so I bought 2 decks last week at the pre-release, then yesterday I picked up the starter set and 2 more decks. It's probably "new game hype" but I'm having a ton of fun with it so far; played 3 or 4 games maybe?

Cardboard tokens are definitely gently caress ugly; I think I'm just going to buy red and yellow glass beads. I like whoever it was on the other page that had literal keys - I might try to find something like that and then spray paint one side gold and one side silver to indicate Forged / Unforged maybe?

And as was discussed on the first page; a lot of the promotional art for the game is very unappealing to me, but I like a lot of the actual card art that I've seen. Mars, Untamed, and Dis are all pretty cool looking anyways. Brobnar is hit or miss and Sanctum is dumb :colbert:

I think this card epitomizes the type of artwork I don't like for the game:

It's just so... "chibi" looking

This however, is pretty cool:

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Nov 16, 2018

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Mayveena posted:

From Reddit:

"It does seem like a gigantic blunder to put the decklist cards on the end of the deck so that you can see it without breaking the seal. This makes it trivially easy for less scrupulous retailers to open up the deck boxes and check for the good ones to sell at marked up prices."

I've opened my boxes so I can't try this but I've seen this mentioned in other places as well.

You absolutely cannot see the card list without ripping the box or breaking the glue, this is total bullshit.

e: your quote seems to be talking about the decklist being the top card, so retailers can open boxes, look at it without opening the deck cellophane, and glue it back shut. Uh....I don't think that is going to be a huge problem here, that seems like pretty needless paranoia for a game that came out literally yesterday.

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Nov 16, 2018

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

food court bailiff posted:

Uh....I don't think that is going to be a huge problem here, that seems like pretty needless paranoia for a game that came out literally yesterday.

Are you accusing internet nerds of preemptively overreacting and being angry over literally nothing? I don't believe it :monocle:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Sab669 posted:

Are you accusing internet nerds of preemptively overreacting and being angry over literally nothing? I don't believe it :monocle:

It's just funny, out of FFG's entire product line this is pretty much the only thing that uses a glued-shut box instead of a resealable clamshell or tuckbox. It's not like FFG hasn't hosed up plenty of real things to be annoyed about.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Mayveena posted:

From Reddit:

The plastic seal inside the cardboard box leaves the decklist visible, but the implication i took from your post was that you could open it, check it, and return it, which I very much doubt you could do.

agscala
Jul 12, 2008

Hey guys, our deck analyzer is now live.

https://burgertokens.com/pages/keyforge-deck-analyzer

Punch in your deck name and receive a breakdown of your deck: creatures, artifacts, aember generation, aoe removal, capture, etc.

It's pretty neat. Let me know what you think.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

It definitely sounds like someone is assuming that FFG is using their normal clamshell packs and not something that is fully sealed and obvious when it's been opened. Am I missing something?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

It's not like FFG hasn't hosed up plenty of real things to be annoyed about.

Honestly the only other FFG game I've ever played before was Dust, so I'm not particularly familiar with any past blunders. But yea it seems like you'd need to go to some length to open a box, look at the houses/deck, and reseal the box.

Maybe they should've put the Deck List so it isn't facing outward, but I really don't think it'll be any big issue :shrug:

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

thespaceinvader posted:

The plastic seal inside the cardboard box leaves the decklist visible, but the implication i took from your post was that you could open it, check it, and return it, which I very much doubt you could do.

Yeah, thus the quote.

Folks the game is going to be a game where people are going to want to buy the best decks. Frankly if you have a deck with a Maverick in it, try throwing it up on eBay with a $10 opener. That should work for at least a week and maybe longer. What’s really going to be interesting is what happens when wins are posted to the app.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I remember some people here trying to figure out what they’d do about chains, and this etsy page has the best idea I’ve seen for tracking them so far - a dial. The keys on this page are also some of the nicest custom keys I’ve seen. the other tokens are alright but nothing to really write home about, except maybe the armor tokens since armor seems like something easy to lose track of and why did FFG not include them in the first place?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

As a weird side note it is really annoying that the Stun and +1 power cards are actually full-size and not mini-cards.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

As a weird side note it is really annoying that the Stun and +1 power cards are actually full-size and not mini-cards.

I think we are going to use disks for those, not sure why they were full size cards.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Does a +1 power token give a corresponding increase in life?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Does a +1 power token give a corresponding increase in life?

If its lost and the creature's power goes to zero the creature is dead. There is no such game thing as 'life'. Everything is power.