Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
-harassing the rich
-shatner
-spock
-the prisoner
-cagney (or lacey?)
-the dog
-"just one more thing"
-columbo

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Owns

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

lol but seriously I posted:

-harassing the rich
-shatner
-spock
-the prisoner
-cagney (or lacey?)
-the dog
-"just one more thing"
-columbo

the 1970's were pretty cool for TV

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
did you know?: peter falk lived for six months in communist yugoslavia

also: the military academy episode is objectively the best

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
I've been waiting for a Columbo bluray set for years. Somehow Japan released one 7 years but Universal can't be bother to copy that release for the US.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fun fact: The first ever episode of Columbo was directed by Steven Spielberg.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

i was recently in Budapest where they have a statue of columbo for some reason. i didn't go and see it.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

I get Columbo and Kojak mixed up.

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
In reruns they cgi his cigar out lest it encourage kids to start smoking cigars

Thelonious
Jul 16, 2005

I'm going to watch Colombo when it comes on in 45 minutes. Gotta run to the liquor store first though.

Kid in Bed
Mar 1, 2006

deek!
Wings of Desire, or Heaven Over Berlin, is a German arthouse film where Peter Falk plays himself shooting a movie in Berlin. Every where he goes, people yell "Hey Columbo!" He is also, in fact, an angel that chose to be human so he can smoke cigarettes and drink coffee at the same time because "It's fantastic!"

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Tears In A Vial posted:

i was recently in Budapest where they have a statue of columbo for some reason. i didn't go and see it.

what the hell? Why not?

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Tears In A Vial posted:

If I ever visit Budapest I am getting a photo with that statue.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

David Corbett posted:

If I ever visit Budapest I am getting a photo with that statue.

for real! what the hell else are you going to do in Hungary?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Columbo was popular in a lot of countries: https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1989-04-02-8903310956-story.html

quote:

The original series, which ran from 1971 to 1977, was so popular in Romania it was broadcast there twice a week. When ''Columbo'' stopped production in the U.S., suspicious Romanians thought their government had canceled the show because of import quotas. Fearing riots, the Romanian government begged the U.S. State Department to have the show`s star, Peter Falk, make a public-service announcement explaining the real reason for the demise of ''Columbo.'' Falk obliged and taped a TV spot, which he read phonetically in Romanian.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

ha ha Bucarest should have a statue too

Amanda Huggensuck
Nov 8, 2012
What is it now leutenant don’t you know I have a factory to run?

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Colombo was great because he always made the rich pay for their crimes. "Oh just one more thing..."

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

GORILLA BASTARD posted:

Colombo was great because he always made the rich pay for their crimes. "Oh just one more thing..."

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

lol but seriously I posted:

-harassing the rich
-shatner
-spock
-the prisoner
-cagney (or lacey?)
-the dog
-"just one more thing"
-columbo

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The people demand Columbo

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Columbo annoying the poo poo out of rich smug rear end in a top hat murderers for like 8 seasons straight never got old because the writing was so good (except the robot episode), and Falk is a genius

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Peter Falk is great in Made

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

This motherfucker deserved Columbo justice based on the mustache alone.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
One of the best shows ever.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Cumlumbo

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i didn't like the johnny cash episode much because he was the exact same as all the other smug rich rear end in a top hat murderers, but columbo acted like cash was really a good person at heart for no particular reason.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Cash is an artist so he is allowed to be a smug rear end in a top hat. That frankly is the main perk.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Peter Falk had a glass eye...

...but did Columbo?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I watched Columbo for the first time a few months ago when an official YouTube channel opened with some free episodes, that was smart of the production company because now I gotta get me the whole set.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Peter Falk was a loving master.

Him roasting Sinatra for 11 minutes as Columbo and not breaking character once is a blessing on this cold dead earth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_UN2S8SasY

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

Captain Splendid posted:

Peter Falk had a glass eye...

...but did Columbo?

Yes. It's sorta acknowledged in one of the later episodes.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Just started watching cause of this thread, does anyone on the force know that Columbo is a good detective or does everyone think he is a dumbass?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Colombo is good but I’m really more of a diagnosis:murder man myself

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!
The 70s episodes are good. The 90s and 00s episodes are usually still good but not as good. Columbo is sometimes too cartoony in the new ones.

I really like the format where you see who the murderer is and how he did it and the point is just to watch Columbo figure it out while constantly annoying the murderer. I'm usually disappointed with the resolution of the murder in other detective shows that don't show you what happened until the end.

I can also advise anybody who likes Columbo and hasn't read Crime and Punishment yet to go read it, because Columbo was apparently inspired by a character from the book who has a similar attitute to investigating murders.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
German director, Wim Wenders idolized Peter Falk. He had a starring role in Wings of Desire.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Dongattack posted:

Just started watching cause of this thread, does anyone on the force know that Columbo is a good detective or does everyone think he is a dumbass?

They know. He’s given high profile difficult cases, and some of the stuff he does the show itself points out that he wouldn’t get away with unless he had full support. One thing that springs to mind is he spends thousands of dollars of department money to rip up a high rise foundation as a ruse to draw out the killer. He’s even semi-famous in one season because of one of his cases.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I noticed a distinct drop in quality after I got into the forth season, I think that's it for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

girth brooks part 2 posted:

They know. He’s given high profile difficult cases, and some of the stuff he does the show itself points out that he wouldn’t get away with unless he had full support. One thing that springs to mind is he spends thousands of dollars of department money to rip up a high rise foundation as a ruse to draw out the killer. He’s even semi-famous in one season because of one of his cases.

The foundations one is a great episode

• Locked thread