Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
I have a ’92 tin top Suzuki Samurai with a blown head gasket.

The clear solution to this problem is to convert it to EFI and supercharge it. And probably replace the gasket too.

I originally was going to build up a manifold for the existing head to hook up the AMR500 with the existing Weber 32/36 in a draw through config, as I’d spent quite a bit of time on port work on the original head, and using the stock manifold would require things sticking out the hood or mounting things in a way I think would have fuel pooling all over the place. I also figured out how to boost reference the power valve of the Weber, for "drivability". Whilst researching, I realised that the intake manifold from a Jimny would make the endeavor a whole lot easier, requiring just a manifold between the Weber and AMR500, and from the AMR500 to where the throttle body would be. But the ports are different, so may as well grab the 16v G13BB head from the Jimny too. It’d also be a shame to waste the EFI possibilities of the head, so a speeduino is on it’s way now. I could “just” do the EFI conversion, but having already boost referenced the Weber, it’d be a shame to put in the parts box, so….

K&N has a system they call ECI/ Electronic carburetor injection, which seem to be a plate, an injector, a Wideband AFR and an ECU. I assume it’s running a PID loop to fire the injector when the AFR says the carb mix is lean. I figure I can do that with the speeduino and the existing injectors. I THINK that an closed loop PID AFR target table in TunerStudio will be able to achieve this, but if it all goes to hell I can toss the Weber and do normal injection.

So this thread is to track the progress of my phenomenally bad idea. Heading out to cannibalise a Jimny now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
ONE OF US ONE OF US ONE OF US

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Ground floor. I'm electronics-illiterate, but I still enjoy seeing Digital Age solutions to old-timey hot-rodding problems.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I would probably consider junkyarding a GM TBI system before someone else's proprietary throttle-body injection setup.

GM TBI is a lot cheaper - from the junkyard - and seems to work pretty well with Megasquirt, so the sensors are well understood by now. Plus there'll be TBI vehicles in junkyards for the rest of our existence, so you're not worrying about the manufacturer discontinuing some gasket or adapter.

Then again, the off-the-shelf TBI probably has pretty good support right now and is probably gonna be faster.

https://www.diyautotune.com/support/tech/install/chevrolet-gm/megasquirt-your-sbc-v8/
https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/gm-25-iron-duke-tbi-swap/63398/page1/

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
Update: the donor Jimny was a no go; was a 1.3, but unfortunately the M13A. Called my Samurai guy, within 20 minutes he had a head on its way from a nearby island. Just picked it up. It's missing some rocker arm bolts and smells like goat piss, but otherwise fine. Gonna give it a good wash and drench it in WD40, get it on the bench and check the surface.

Still waiting on the intake manifold, he says he has one somewhere.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I would probably consider junkyarding a GM TBI system before someone else's proprietary throttle-body injection setup.

GM TBI is a lot cheaper - from the junkyard - and seems to work pretty well with Megasquirt, so the sensors are well understood by now. Plus there'll be TBI vehicles in junkyards for the rest of our existence, so you're not worrying about the manufacturer discontinuing some gasket or adapter.

Then again, the off-the-shelf TBI probably has pretty good support right now and is probably gonna be faster.

https://www.diyautotune.com/support/tech/install/chevrolet-gm/megasquirt-your-sbc-v8/
https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/gm-25-iron-duke-tbi-swap/63398/page1/

GM vehicles are rare where I am; mostly Japanese imports. The G13BB is MPFI , not TBI, so I can go full sequential. Speeduino is open source as well; I'll be using the onboard 250kPa pressure sensor to read the MAP. Gasket wise, it's the same as the G13BA/G13A, so unlikely to be unavailable anytime soon. Plus what's the point of having a laser cutter if you don't laser cut everything at the slightest opportunity

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We need pictures!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Woop Woop, more Suzuki madness!

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
It's raining, so only a picture of the head from the other day:

Coming soon: an attempt at CFD on the manifold plenum design I'm working on, for someone who has no idea how to do CFD

edit:

I have no idea what this graph means, but the percentage is going up!

fins fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Nov 18, 2018

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
I have no idea what this means

edit: aaand I managed to confuse SimScale to the point I can no longer load the results, repeatable crashing their post-processor. oops.

fins fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 18, 2018

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

fins posted:

I have no idea what this means

Looks good, ship it.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

Think I'll change the design for this area, the corner looks like it;s interrupting things

edit:

Modified, better simulation now to find bad areas. Getting my head around SimScale now.

fins fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Nov 18, 2018

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
Minor update: engine's out, realised I'm dumb. Forget to chck the wrist pin diameter on the new pistons; 2 mm too big . New forged conrods on the way. Polishing this turd is getting pricey!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

fins posted:

I have a ’92 tin top Suzuki Samurai with a blown head gasket.

The clear solution to this problem is to convert it to EFI and supercharge it. And probably replace the gasket too.

I originally was going to build up a manifold for the existing head to hook up the AMR500 with the existing Weber 32/36 in a draw through config, as I’d spent quite a bit of time on port work on the original head, and using the stock manifold would require things sticking out the hood or mounting things in a way I think would have fuel pooling all over the place. I also figured out how to boost reference the power valve of the Weber, for "drivability". Whilst researching, I realised that the intake manifold from a Jimny would make the endeavor a whole lot easier, requiring just a manifold between the Weber and AMR500, and from the AMR500 to where the throttle body would be. But the ports are different, so may as well grab the 16v G13BB head from the Jimny too. It’d also be a shame to waste the EFI possibilities of the head, so a speeduino is on it’s way now. I could “just” do the EFI conversion, but having already boost referenced the Weber, it’d be a shame to put in the parts box, so….

K&N has a system they call ECI/ Electronic carburetor injection, which seem to be a plate, an injector, a Wideband AFR and an ECU. I assume it’s running a PID loop to fire the injector when the AFR says the carb mix is lean. I figure I can do that with the speeduino and the existing injectors. I THINK that an closed loop PID AFR target table in TunerStudio will be able to achieve this, but if it all goes to hell I can toss the Weber and do normal injection.

So this thread is to track the progress of my phenomenally bad idea. Heading out to cannibalise a Jimny now.

Incorrect, correct solution for a Samurai is a TDI swap

The above opinion does not reflect the views of SA:AI, views only held by one nutcase in SA:AI who puts diesels in everything.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 27, 2018

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
You know the 1.6L from later Suzuki models just need a kit and gives you modern multiport EFI rather that TBI which might as well be a carburetor without the benefit of a venturi.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

DJ Commie posted:

You know the 1.6L from later Suzuki models just need a kit and gives you modern multiport EFI rather that TBI which might as well be a carburetor without the benefit of a venturi.

I didn't want to say anything because I have no idea what models you got over there, but a G16b from a vitara is a no brainer swap down here.
E: gm tracker over there?
what about the j18 from a suzuki esteem/baleno - does that fit and is it common enough there? Too new for me, I only played with sierras in the g13 days with vitara g16b transplants being normal

e2: what about this I found on wiki G16ID — 1.6 L (1,590 cc), 75 mm × 90 mm (3.0 in × 3.5 in) DOHC Multi-Point Injection It sowed up in some mpvs and balenos I think.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Nov 27, 2018

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
An update!

Ditching the whole pseudo tbi thing; same effort as MPFI, but ultimately dumb.

New conrods , pistons, main bearings, thrust bearings, seals etc in; Forgot to take a pic from the top, but will do tomorrow

The original head (that smelled like a goat) showed too much damage after cleaning off the carbon; chunks outta the combustion chamber and quite a bit of damage to the sealing surfaces;

Pulled another head, this one was from a Grand Vitara G16B 1.6L with a busted crank and a broken rod; The G16B head and the G13BB head are one and the same; The main variations are between the exact intake manifold and throttle body configuration; I'm still hunting for the exact one I want - one that has the throttle boddy to the left if viewed from the intake port direction .

Looked like this before any major cleanup

and with 12/16 new valves in.

Up next is finishing work around the water passages to try and straighten up the edges; Time to push the Shaper Origin's limits.

Also managed to get the injectors and fuel rail, which will go up on the test bench soon to get some initial data for the speeduino tune. Throttle body and TPS seem OK, but will look around for something with a less clunky IAC.

Given the previous setup had a (low pressure) electric fuel pump to feed the weber, I'm thinking a surge pot in the engine bay will guarantee a firey death be the most convenient way to setup fueling with what I have.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

CommieGIR posted:

Incorrect, correct solution for a Samurai is a TDI swap

The above opinion does not reflect the views of SA:AI, views only held by one nutcase in SA:AI who puts diesels in everything.

In this case you're absolutely correct though.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
Well it's been a while, just got back from a 6 month contract.

Last week laser cut some mounts for coils, made an adapter for the throttle body to fit the manifold( as I finally found one off of a Baleno 1.6, which faces the right way for how I want to mount the supercharger.)

Last couple of days got the head off and back on after some more cleanup. Wasn't exactly kept in the idel storage conditions...

Today set lash, timing, bolted everything up, aligned the clutch, finally wrestling with the drat thing for 2 hours to get the engine and tranny aligned again.

Tomorrow it's wiring /plumbing time.

Will post pics tomorrow, ran out of daylight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Yes but how is the paint? 😆