Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was in this traffic jam yesterday and it was because of the left lane closing so everyone started merging right. Except for Fuckwad Mcfuckstain who decided that he was now the traffic cop that would enforce everyone merging to the right.

Listen, if everyone merges early you're unnecessarily extending the length of one lane traffic and wasting everyone's time. Learn to loving zipper merge, and also don't impede traffic or I will pass you on the shoulder like I would a deer carcass, which has more value than you

On the bright side, when people do this it let's me zip around traffic cop Jr and shoot all the way to the front and merge at the last second, skipping all the traffic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tane
Feb 27, 2005

oh im edward mcfuckstain i didnt realize i was in the wrong but you've convinced me i apologize and may god have mercy on my soul

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

oh im edward mcfuckstain i didnt realize i was in the wrong but you've convinced me i apologize and may god have mercy on my soul

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I was driving the other day in a construction zone that had a ton of signage telling people to form one lane, lane ends in 250m merge right now, lane ends in 50m merge right now, etc

One lady zoomed down the left lane past everyone and then started to nose her way in at the end. The first few people didn't let her go, so she just refused to stop moving and forced the guy in front of me to let her in.

gently caress people like that.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
i hate zipper merging, op, slow and steady does it for me

love,
edward mcfuckstain

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
Just walk bitch

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Professor Shark posted:

One lady zoomed down the left lane past everyone and then started to nose her way in at the end. The first few people didn't let her go, so she just refused to stop moving and forced the guy in front of me to let her in.

gently caress people like that.

im no traffic expert but i feel this is the flaw in the zipper merge. its great in theory but in practice you end up with the one normal lane going normal speed and then a lane of people going 15 over that all trying to zipper merge at once

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

op is right you loving morons

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I zipper merge with my middle finger held high.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Autistic Edgy Guy posted:

im no traffic expert but i feel this is the flaw in the zipper merge. its great in theory but in practice you end up with the one normal lane going normal speed and then a lane of people going 15 over that all trying to zipper merge at once
that's what a zipper merge is though, the fast people merging at the last second are doing it correctly

feller
Jul 5, 2006

why do I need to learn this when flying cars are just around the corner op

ArchNemesis
Jun 27, 2007
College Slice
OLD PEOPLE. DRIVING.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

btw mods plz rename me to edward mcfuckstain

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Autistic Edgy Guy posted:

red car is edward mcfuckstain, blue is me. left lane ends 1/2 mile ahead. he is trying to get the people behind him to merge early, because he's a degenerate cocksickle. so i pass him on the shoulder and shoot straight to the front of the line baby!

Dolphin fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 12, 2018

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Dolphin posted:

I was in this traffic jam yesterday and it was because of the left lane closing so everyone started merging right. Except for Fuckwad Mcfuckstain who decided that he was now the traffic cop that would enforce everyone merging to the right.

Listen, if everyone merges early you're unnecessarily extending the length of one lane traffic and wasting everyone's time. Learn to loving zipper merge, and also don't impede traffic or I will pass you on the shoulder like I would a deer carcass, which has more value than you

On the bright side, when people do this it let's me zip around traffic cop Jr and shoot all the way to the front and merge at the last second, skipping all the traffic.

I'm the guy that doesn't let you in

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

raton posted:

I'm the guy that doesn't let you in
i'm tailgating you with my brights on now tho

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
I honestly, unironically wish pain and pestilence on the people who create hour-long delays because they either din't know how to zipper, or they slow down to 1/4 the limit because there was an accident on the other side of the highway median.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Dolphin posted:

that's what a zipper merge is though, the fast people merging at the last second are doing it correctly

No

And it doesn't help things go faster despite the deep aspie belief that it must

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Just lol if you ever go above the posted speed limit on the highway. You retard.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
How to merge into one lane when the signs are warning you that a merge is less than 500m ahead: line up your car with an empty spot to the side and merge. Realize that the physical demands of the road will force everyone into one lane and following distances will make that pinch point move at the same speed no matter if the merge was done piecemeal over the previous 500m or all at once at the choke point, except for instances where an accident occurs, which is much more likely in the latter process.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

raton posted:

How to merge into one lane when the signs are warning you that a merge is less than 500m ahead: line up your car with an empty spot to the side and merge. Realize that the physical demands of the road will force everyone into one lane and following distances will make that pinch point move at the same speed no matter if the merge was done piecemeal over the previous 500m or all at once at the choke point, except for instances where an accident occurs, which is much more likely in the latter process.
this is factually incorrect and you should probably go back to driver's training.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX0I8OdK7Tk

Dolphin fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Nov 12, 2018

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Dolphin posted:

i'm tailgating you with my brights on now tho

My truck cost $300 and I give no fucks, crash into me if you like, I'm still not letting you in.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Why is everyone ITT misreading "fuckwad" as "edward"

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JnnyThndrs posted:

My truck cost $300 and I give no fucks, crash into me if you like, I'm still not letting you in.
okay but what you're really saying here is you're an rear end in a top hat who likes to delay everyone and cause hazardous driving conditions because you feel like people are trying to cut in line, when really you don't know how to merge correctly and everything is your fault :shrug:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Was set up to do a sweet zipper merge on the interstate and was getting hype. Then some bigass truck that was oblivious to everyone's spacing decided to roar in right at the merge point blaring Rob Zombie's Dragula and traffic ground to a halt.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Devils Affricate posted:

i read it as edwad

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Devils Affricate posted:

posting while not merging sorry

schmug
May 20, 2007

what about a reverse zipper merge when you're getting on the highway and the person behind you tries passing you while still inside the solid lines before you have merged yourself and basically prevents you from entering the highway without almost dying?

People love to do that poo poo up here and I will speed up and brake check their asses for as long as I can because I am also Fuckwad Mcfuckstain but I do not apologize, praise hell Satan

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
get the gently caress out of my way!!!

schmug
May 20, 2007

Chinatown posted:

get the gently caress out of my way!!!

just flash your lights and honk while flipping me off. That's all it takes.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Zip this

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

schmug
May 20, 2007

one of the few time I pray for cops to be around. oh man

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
brake checking tailgaters rules

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Dolphin posted:

okay but what you're really saying here is you're an rear end in a top hat who likes to delay everyone and cause hazardous driving conditions because you feel like people are trying to cut in line, when really you don't know how to merge correctly and everything is your fault :shrug:

I let one person and one person only merge in front of me. The next dude that tries can eat a steaming bowl of dicks.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
LOL, if you aren't gunning your Hummer H3 and intimidating everyone in front of you to let you pass.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
heh agreed op, but whats most bizarre is (let one in, move forward) that its the most obvious and logical way to do it without being taught a single god drat thing, so to do something other than that in a real stop and go situation with a merge means youre either really loving stupid or a gigantic prick

so i dunno if its worth "teaching" anyone such a thing as theyd just forget or figure out a way to make it even worse for everyone, depending on which type

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Okay so hoping someone can help me with this, I was driving through Colorado on an interstate and some doofus like 5 miles ahead dumped some hay bales off of his truck and only one lane was getting through. So there were signs and poo poo saying a lane was closed ahead, but everyone IMMEDIATELY got out of the right lane and into the left lane, leaving the right late completely open and absolutely loving traffic flow. I'd never seen anything like it.

We had a 14 hour drive that day and I didn't much feel like donating an hour of my time to mountain dwelling yokels that have never heard of a zipper merge so we just stayed in the right lane, planning on being there until the lane actually closed. But we only got maybe a km down the backup when some guy cut out into the right lane to block us from going any further, as if we were the ones being cunts. Which I mean, we were blowing past a bunch of cars but what the gently caress was going on? Once we merged behind this guy, not a single car passed us on our right. I'd never seen anything like it. Is this a weird Colorado thing?

• Locked thread