Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Dolphin posted:

I was in this traffic jam yesterday and it was because of the left lane closing so everyone started merging right. Except for Fuckwad Mcfuckstain who decided that he was now the traffic cop that would enforce everyone merging to the right.

Listen, if everyone merges early you're unnecessarily extending the length of one lane traffic and wasting everyone's time. Learn to loving zipper merge, and also don't impede traffic or I will pass you on the shoulder like I would a deer carcass, which has more value than you

On the bright side, when people do this it let's me zip around traffic cop Jr and shoot all the way to the front and merge at the last second, skipping all the traffic.

you're the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Raldikuk posted:

No, if the lane existed for less than a football field then they were the assholes. Tho one wonders why the DOT for your area didn't block it off from the start of the 2 lane rather than allowing 100ft of it to exist.

Left turns onto the road at the light.

stranger danger
May 24, 2006

The_Franz posted:

there are people, mostly entitled, old, curmudgeon assholes, who think that there is nothing wrong with doing that because "durrr I'm going the speed limit!"

these are the same people who complained when most parts of the us finally went back to the pre-1974 speed limits, which are still pretty slow for a lot of highways, with crys of "well, you'll just have to go around me* then!"

*illegally, because they are blocking the passing lane

it probably goes without saying but if you pass them on the right you should gun it. it's kind of a prick move but if you try to pass at a steady pace, IME they'll just speed up to block you at least half the time.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

clone on the phone posted:

you're the problem.
as i said, i'm getting to the merge point as quickly as possible, whether that involves passing your stupid rear end as you wait like a sucker, or passing you by driving on the grass because you're trying to impede traffic like a wannabe rent-a-cop, i'm staying in this lane until it gets me where i'm going. :shrug:

oh and that's the letter of the law here so learn to drive. my DOT has an entire page on their website telling drivers to do this lol

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
"zipper merge is better!" is a new rallying cry of autists that get mad when a complex organizational structure that has better throughput when executed properly doesn't materialize in loving traffic jams where no one can really tell what's even going on

when you are "zipper marging!!" and there aren't 50 cars behind you doing the same thing you're just being a stupid dick

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Dolphin posted:

as i said, i'm getting to the merge point as quickly as possible, whether that involves passing your stupid rear end as you wait like a sucker, or passing you by driving on the grass because you're trying to impede traffic like a wannabe rent-a-cop, i'm staying in this lane until it gets me where i'm going. :shrug:

oh and that's the letter of the law here so learn to drive. my DOT has an entire page on their website telling drivers to do this lol

gently caress you

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wow, i just calculated it and it turns out if you graph people that don't know how to zipper merge against people that treat the passing lane as the cruising lane, the correlation coefficient is 1. very surprising results, i must say.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Twinty Zuleps posted:

"zipper merge is better!" is a new rallying cry of autists that get mad when a complex organizational structure that has better throughput when executed properly doesn't materialize in loving traffic jams where no one can really tell what's even going on

when you are "zipper marging!!" and there aren't 50 cars behind you doing the same thing you're just being a stupid dick
all the cars behind me are also tailgating each other, i suppose that means i should tailgate the car in front of me to save space because as long as everyone is ignorant together we all win

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
for someone that owns 3 different "please be patient I have autism" hats you could sure stand to be a little more patient yourself

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Dolphin posted:

wow, i just calculated it and it turns out if you graph people that don't know how to zipper merge against people that treat the passing lane as the cruising lane, the correlation coefficient is 1. very surprising results, i must say.

Zipper merging is defacto useless unless the lanes are evenly splitting or at least decently splitting instead of people forcing their way in at the last second with no one else there at the end of the lane while speeding ten miles over next to a long line of stationary vehicles like that isn't extraordinarily unsafe in and of itself. It's like blitzing down a parking lot where any of the cars could pull out at any second.

Zipper merging is supposed to prevent extremely long single lane lineups which are dangerous and inefficient, but if the lineup exists and people just aren't zipper merging then you driving up to the end of the lane is just a hazard and slows poo poo down.

It's like tailgating someone in the passing lane screaming "DRIVING THE LIMIT IN THE PASSING LANE IS UNSAFE." You prob shouldn't whine about the rules of the road and people doing it wrong and being unsafe and then go ahead and do dumbass poo poo yourself to compound the issue.

You can't control traffic around you, either adapt or die a horrible vehicular death.

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

Dolphin posted:

red car is edward mcfuckstain, blue is me. left lane ends 1/2 mile ahead. he is trying to get the people behind him to merge early, because he's a degenerate cocksickle. so i pass him on the shoulder and shoot straight to the front of the line baby!

you idiot

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Maybe read the road and do what is appropriate based on that? I know crazy right? People merging "early"? Merge. People zipper merging? Zipper merge. Boy I'm a loving genius.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Yes that is what I'm saying. Don't do poo poo that makes zero sense in your current situation.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dolphin posted:

Please post the law saying you must drive on the grass, quickly.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Dolphin posted:

I was in this traffic jam yesterday and it was because of the left lane closing so everyone started merging right. Except for Fuckwad Mcfuckstain who decided that he was now the traffic cop that would enforce everyone merging to the right.

Listen, if everyone merges early you're unnecessarily extending the length of one lane traffic and wasting everyone's time. Learn to loving zipper merge, and also don't impede traffic or I will pass you on the shoulder like I would a deer carcass, which has more value than you

On the bright side, when people do this it let's me zip around traffic cop Jr and shoot all the way to the front and merge at the last second, skipping all the traffic.

I love loving with pretend traffic cops, every time it rains kinda heavy around here it pools on a low bit. Theres always 1 idiot who tries to put the road on lockdown cause he thinls its flooded. Its non flowing water not connected to a stream, its a big flat shallow puddle, and i get some sick schaudenfreude just driving through it. Especially if hes blocked a lane or tries to run up to the car and gets splashed.

Its not flooded, its not connected to a stream, its just a depression between some hills that they didnt flatten well because the road started life as a teeny road between farms probably 100 years ago.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Nov 18, 2018

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

If you are driving much faster than the lane you are trying to merge into, you're the rear end in a top hat. You might technically be in the right, but it doesn't change the fact that you are an rear end and everyone hates you.

E: also the only thing that makes my lovely commutes interesting is trying to block people who use exit only lanes to pass.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Nov 18, 2018

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

The only time I will block people merging late is if they've been in an exit only lane for the past mile and realize they are too loving illiterate to read any of the signs indicating as such and then try to merge across the part of the pavement where the shoulder has already started to separate the exit from the highway. gently caress you, if you're that confused about where you're going then take the exit, stop somewhere, and figure it out. And if you're doing it on purpose I would rather see you crash face first into the restarting guardrail than let you benefit from it.

e:

underage at the vape shop posted:

Its not flooded, its not connected to a stream, its just a depression between some hills that they didnt flatten well because the road started life as a teeny road between farms probably 100 years ago.

I don't know where you are, but just so you know around here sometimes it really is flooded to a couple feet even without a stream, so be careful with this in unfamiliar places.

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Nov 18, 2018

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones
may god help you if you force me to lightly tap my brakes for a second

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Another type of zipper merge is when you get two dirty old men at a public urinal, and they both give each other handjobs, then one of them closes his pants zipper but accidentally gets it caught up with the other guy's zipper, so they're stuck together and have to give each other additional handjobs until someone calls emergency services to separate them.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

BigBadSteve posted:

Another type of zipper merge is when you get two dirty old men at a public urinal, and they both give each other handjobs, then one of them closes his pants zipper but accidentally gets it caught up with the other guy's zipper, so they're stuck together and have to give each other additional handjobs until someone calls emergency services to separate them.

that sounds pretty similar to what the OP posted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

schmuckfeatures
Oct 27, 2003
Hair Elf

Devils Affricate posted:

Why is everyone ITT misreading "fuckwad" as "edward"

they're referring to such great historical figures as:

fuckwad snowden

king fuckwad viii

fuckwad scissorhands