Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Moridin920 posted:

You make a thread the app won't let me.

Moridin really didn't think it was fair that we were only dunking on Catholics, so talk poo poo about the scum of the south, WASPs, itt. Here's some articles he helpfully pulled to start discussion.

Moridin920 posted:

Well granted they aren't as precisely studied because we all like to ignore poo poo but here's one I found quickly:

https://www.mdpi.com/2077-1444/9/1/27/pdf

Child Sexual Abuse in Protestant Christian Congregations - MDPI

You can also talk about Mormons and Jehova's Witnesses too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
People watch Escaping Polygamy for enjoyment when it’s a loving nightmare that it’s known where these communities are and law enforcement doesn’t go in and do anything about it.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

say what about prostitutes?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

numberoneposter posted:

say what about prostitutes?

They're holier and do more thankless work of God than any church ever has.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

you say 'economic anxiety' instead of 'white power' now.

there's also real lovely dad-rock at some of them

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Speaking of Mormonism, This American Life did a show about Mormon Bishops psycho-sexually abusing minors. It's in Part 1, The Old Man on My Shoulder. Most notable of all is that the journalists actually gets a hold of the LDS' director of media relations, who refuses to acknowledge that any bishop ever did anything wrong, even when asked point blank several times. The segment is a little over 30 minutes long but absolutely worth listening to.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

trash person posted:

People watch Escaping Polygamy for enjoyment when it’s a loving nightmare that it’s known where these communities are and law enforcement doesn’t go in and do anything about it.

Yeah I kinda don't get that either lol

There's some show about US Gypsy Weddings and it's basically just what if guidos but also they marry their 14 year old cousins

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

Moridin920 posted:

Yeah I kinda don't get that either lol

There's some show about US Gypsy Weddings and it's basically just what if guidos but also they marry their 14 year old cousins

loving ridiculous how ITYOOL2018 only two US states ban child marriage, and of the 48 that allow it, 18 literally have no minimum legal age requirement. In 2001, three 10 year old girls were married in Tennessee, for example. Several states provide poor or incomplete statistics, so it's kinda hard to know the true scope of the problem. CBS news, legally allowed to marry but not divorce, or that trying to escape the marriages would label them runaways, and put at risk anyone trying to help them. That seems perhaps to horrible to be strictly true, but I suspect just the question of legal problems is likely to make certain sources of help pre-emptively just deny it.

In any case, to get back on topic of the thread: all the protestant "quiverful" movement literature pushing arranged marriage, young marriage, etc....

E: Have a link

quote:

This November, in Wichita, Kansas, fundamentalist and conservative evangelical parents will gather at a conference to create betrothals for their marriageable children—with emphasis on the word children. This conference is called Let Them Marry and will be held by fundamentalist writer Vaughn Ohlman. I’ve avoided writing about Ohlman here for a while now, but this conference is so the last straw.

Let me start with how a parent can know if their child is ready to be married off:

quote:

1) The ‘youth’ ready for marriage has breasts. A woman who is to be married is one who has breasts; breasts which signal her readiness for marriage, and breasts who promise enjoyment for her husband. (We believe that ‘breasts’ here stand as a symbol for all forms of full secondary sexual characteristics.)

It goes on in such fashion for awhile.

jemand fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Nov 13, 2018

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Pedophile Nation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
Remember when Josh Duggar got in trouble for molesting girls and they lost their TLC show? Good times.

• Locked thread