Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i just got a 1060 and it 2.5x'd my passmark score and every game runs framecapped at full pretties on a 4670

this is possible because i'm a loving grandpa that has it driving two 20" dell 5:4's lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Jonny 290 posted:

i just got a 1060 and it 2.5x'd my passmark score and every game runs framecapped at full pretties on a 4670

this is possible because i'm a loving grandpa that has it driving two 20" dell 5:4's lmao

We have those monitors at work and they're pretty nice for ancient garbage made before widescreen.

edit: referring to ancient garbage programs, not the monitors

thebigcow fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jan 19, 2019

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
the 1060 6gb should drive 1440p at 60+FPS with highish settings, or 1080p at high FPS with high-ultra

afaik

you should certainly be able to max every slider on it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i want to get a real monitor but i am not getting rid of these 20's and so i need to bring a tape measure to microcenter and buy my monitor based on its vertical height so that everything lines up like a huge rear end matrix hacker display with the widescreen in center and the 20's flanking

they still look really good and i cant bear to get rid of them, garbage res aside

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Jonny 290 posted:

hey sup 4670/1060 buddy!

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Jonny 290 posted:

i want to get a real monitor but i am not getting rid of these 20's and so i need to bring a tape measure to microcenter and buy my monitor based on its vertical height so that everything lines up like a huge rear end matrix hacker display with the widescreen in center and the 20's flanking

they still look really good and i cant bear to get rid of them, garbage res aside

diamondtron ftw

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

just get the biggest 4k dell ultrasharp you can afford

akadajet fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jan 19, 2019

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

gunna play the new quack 2 on my $5000 dual rtx titan setup

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Jonny 290 posted:

2001FP? if so they own; i have three

also if so, dont worry too much about height; the base is adjustable

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Sniep posted:

the 1060 6gb should drive 1440p at 60+FPS with highish settings, or 1080p at high FPS with high-ultra

afaik

you should certainly be able to max every slider on it

i'm noticing some stutters with a 1070 in super recent games, i actually think it's the 4670 that's starting to become a bottleneck since all these games expect 8 cores from the consoles now

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

144 hz on my ftw edition

MindSet
Dec 21, 2008

If this goes badly, and I make a crater, I want it named after me!
yeah theres a couple games that will run under 60 on a 1060@ultra 1080p but usually it's like, turn AA/AF down one tick and blammo. It's such a good card for the money, especially with how easy it is to over clock GPUs to squeeze a little extra performance out of them

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Jonny 290 posted:

nothing wrong with wanting to keep working kit

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

had sun ray labs at university (backed by, i think, a fire 3800), and while one could choose to go to labs with either actual sun workstations or linux labs with fairly beefy pc's, the ray lab was the place to be because 1) it was entirely silent; and; 2) since it didn't run flash and whatnot well a lot of the more annoying parts of the student body didn't go there (though, granted, this was a second-level filtering as there were windows labs as well)

good times~

flash for solaris/sparc was a thing

lol @ anyone who installed it, though

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
looks like there's no reason, op

quote:

NVIDIA shareholders,
We are lowering our revenue guidance for the fiscal 2019 fourth quarter to $2.2 billion, plus or minus
two percent.
We are disappointed to revise our guidance, which was already down significantly. It was a challenging
quarter with several extraordinary dynamics. Let me explain what happened and outline the actions we
are taking to get our company back to growth.
The Q4 guidance we provided in November reflected the effect of excess channel inventory of Pascal
mid-range GPUs that resulted from the sharp decline of cryptocurrency demand. We delayed the
planned production ramp of several new products to allow excess channel inventory to deplete, which
resulted in the significantly lowered Q4 guidance. Exiting Q3, we estimated channel inventory would be
largely depleted within one to two quarters, or between February and April. Our view of that today
remains unchanged.
As we worked through Q4, the global economy decelerated sharply, particularly in China, affecting
consumer demand for NVIDIA gaming GPUs. Also, with initial shipments of new high-end RTX GPUs
selling above MSRP, some customers may have delayed their purchase while waiting for lower price
points and further demonstrations of RTX technology in actual games.
Datacenter customers buy NVIDIA GPUs for high performance computing, to train deep learning AI
models, and to offer as a cloud computing service. Purchases can be large and are not always periodic or
predictable. As the quarter progressed, customers around the world became increasingly cautious due
to economic uncertainties. A number of deals did not close in the last month of the quarter.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

looks like there's no reason, op

lol if there's so much excess inventory why does a 1060 still cost as much today as when i bought it like a year and a half ago?

fake edit: holy gently caress no way, i bought my 1060 back in august 2016?? :wth:

so, okay, why does a 1060 still cost as much today as it did two and a half years ago

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i built a new pc not long ago for the first time in 10 years and i got a 2070 because i was already spending a good chunk of money anyway. and also my job involves a lot of graphics programming so being able to gently caress around with whatever made it into the latest apis or nvidia extensions is useful. and i do some machine learning stuff too so why not

lol if you're upgrading from anything even mildly recent though. spend that cash on a better hobby, ideally something that won't kill you long term. get a bike or some ski gear. hell, for 2k you can probably buy a full set of diving gear and that's gonna get you graphics that are way more impressive

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

I guess the problem is the cards are best at graphically intense standalone PC games, but developers don't want to make those kind of games anymore because they can make a ton more money with less graphically intense games that run on more computers that require playing on a server so they can have loot boxes and micro transactions. Or just not developing on the PC at all and only doing mobile. (Dungeon Keeper, Diablo, etc.)

Standalone games that don't require playing on a server are usually pirated along with all their expansions and DLC so developers are sick of that as well.

Telebite fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 30, 2019

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

These things might affect gpu prices

A) the Bitcoin bubble
B) memory pricing due to price fixing and artificial limiting of supply
C) trump tariffs on electronics from China. it also had an affect on shipping costs when everyone rushed to ship stuff before the tariffs took place
D) Nvidia only having 1 competitor: AMD until Intel recently said they would make discrete gpus
E) Nvidia and AMD focusing on machine learning, Bitcoin mining instead of gaming
F) AMD diverting manpower from PC gpu development to make custom SoCs for Playstation and Xbox

Jon Pod Van Damm fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jan 30, 2019

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

i got a 2070 for 200 off last week

also ace combat 7 is beautiful and perfect, discuss.

also should i upgrade the 9600k i also got to a 9700k. i can afford it but is that the "dumb money for nothing" upgrade or not, I thought the i9 was that now.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

so, okay, why does a 1060 still cost as much today as it did two and a half years ago

extremely slow incremental upgrades

for comparision: the Geforce 256 DDR launched in Feb. 2000. The Geforce 2 GTS launched _the same year_. (Although it wasn't common until early 2001)
1 year = one generation is dead and has been for a while.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

SRQ posted:

extremely slow incremental upgrades

for comparision: the Geforce 256 DDR launched in Feb. 2000. The Geforce 2 GTS launched _the same year_. (Although it wasn't common until early 2001)
1 year = one generation is dead and has been for a while.

the future sucks

in other nvidia news i've been brushing up on the new dx12 raytracing api. there's a gems book for it being published openly soon https://developer.nvidia.com/books/raytracing/raytracing_gems_preview

seems pretty straightforward, though when i last did graphics in college we juuust started to have shaders and they were all in assembly and were called pixel and vertex shaders instead of fragment shaders?? idk being able to use control flow and stuff in hlsl is much better than i remembered it.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

the future sucks

in other nvidia news i've been brushing up on the new dx12 raytracing api. there's a gems book for it being published openly soon https://developer.nvidia.com/books/raytracing/raytracing_gems_preview

seems pretty straightforward, though when i last did graphics in college we juuust started to have shaders and they were all in assembly and were called pixel and vertex shaders instead of fragment shaders?? idk being able to use control flow and stuff in hlsl is much better than i remembered it.

even then pixel shaders did not necessarily correspond directly to pixels, so it was just a case of bad early naming, so now the exact same thing is called fragment shaders

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

lol if there's so much excess inventory why does a 1060 still cost as much today as when i bought it like a year and a half ago?

fake edit: holy gently caress no way, i bought my 1060 back in august 2016?? :wth:

hmm now that want one

I have a Radeon something 270 🤷‍♂️ how can I tell if the 1060 is compatible with my mobo and psu

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

echinopsis posted:

hmm now that want one

I have a Radeon something 270 🤷‍♂️ how can I tell if the 1060 is compatible with my mobo and psu

you should be fine to just drop it in without any other changes; just get one with 6gb, and don't get a mega gamer xtreme version

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Broken Machine posted:

you should be fine to just drop it in without any other changes; just get one with 6gb, and don't get a mega gamer xtreme version

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/VGAEVG6163/EVGA-GeForce-GTX1060-Graphics-Card-6GB-GDDR5-SC-Ve

do the brands really matter that much?

guess was wondering about those extra power cables

it’ll be powering 1920x1080 lol but also been wanting a nvidia for ages for rendering but last time i looked they were about six hundo so i wrote it off but thanks to this thread just looked and now just under four which i have decided is worth it for better pixels

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

echinopsis posted:

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/VGAEVG6163/EVGA-GeForce-GTX1060-Graphics-Card-6GB-GDDR5-SC-Ve

do the brands really matter that much?

guess was wondering about those extra power cables

it’ll be powering 1920x1080 lol but also been wanting a nvidia for ages for rendering but last time i looked they were about six hundo so i wrote it off but thanks to this thread just looked and now just under four which i have decided is worth it for better pixels

that one you linked is overclocked, so it will draw a bit more power - the specs say it needs a 400w power supply, so just check the specs on your comp or read the label on the power supply (would need to open the pc). one with a lower clock would draw less power, but you'd still need a 300w or so regardless. a new power supply is only maybe $50 or so

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
think mine is 550 but thanks for that advice i could be well wrong, i’ll double check

e: 520 ... nice

i’ve been cranking the settings on assassins creed but frame limited to 24fps which i have become completely used to so doesn’t seem bad at all

i mean tv is 24 fps except tv as motion blur

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 15, 2019

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Telebite posted:

OK, so like, the bestest newest Nvidia card that tops the performance chart is EVGA's RTX 2080 Ti FTW3:

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=11G-P4-2487-KR

It's $1,350. That's a lot but I guess a hardcore gamer would like to pay that. OK.

But like, oh no! You can't order it! There's an "Auto Notify" button but I read that apparently you have to react to the notify within minutes or seconds because the card will just sell out that fast. Oh no!

we just got an RTX 2080 Ti direct from Nvidia with no hassle whatsoever

much easier than finding someone selling one for a markup

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Jonny 290 posted:

plug them into old workstations

get like an SGI Tezro and a Sun Blade 2500 and run Irix and Solaris as daily drivers

someone’s probably built Chromium

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

eschaton posted:

plug them into old workstations

get like an SGI Tezro and a Sun Blade 2500 and run Irix and Solaris as daily drivers

someone’s probably built Chromium

nah i got no power or space budget to run old garbage computers

if its not a c2d or better it doesnt get brought into this house. i had my quirky hoarder stage

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
speaking of monitors

check out this crash cart im picking up tomorrow

gonna bolt up my big rear end rack mixer and use the monitor as my twitch gui

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

nah i got no power or space budget to run old garbage computers

if its not a c2d or better it doesnt get brought into this house. i had my quirky hoarder stage

old workstations are not garbage

:argh:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jonny 290 posted:

speaking of monitors

check out this crash cart im picking up tomorrow

gonna bolt up my big rear end rack mixer and use the monitor as my twitch gui

you said your hoarding period was past tense?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
yeah good luck finding a tezro for any reasonable sum

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yeah good luck finding a tezro for any reasonable sum

a friend did and made it his home daily driver for a while, it was cool

same friend would run his origin in his townhouse garage during winter, with the rendered Yule log on screen, to keep it warm while he drank beer and hacked into there

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you said your hoarding period was past tense?

?

old computers are garbage.

a 32u rack that i need anyways for my stream audio setup is actually useful and if needed i can turn it into exactly what i paid for it at any time between now and the heat death of the universe

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
a tezro is still pretty fast by modern standards

it just runs a really garbage os

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

idunno... looks like a piece of poo poo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfyndUOtLcM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

akadajet posted:

idunno... looks like a piece of poo poo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfyndUOtLcM

god, drat! q3a and doom 2 ON THE SAME COMPUTER??

what is this a super computer?