Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Thought it was a pretty fun surprise having Ryan Reynolds show up, and I think given all the deliberately mixed cultural signifiers of the setting it was entirely fitting to have a protagonist from a mixed-race family.

Pokemon's generally been pretty good with diversity, having choices of different gender protagonists fairly early on (Gen 2 technically) and NPCs of various races. I'm reminded there was a brief kerfuffle about a character in Black/White who looked a bit like the 'mammy' black maid stereotype, though it turned out in-game she's a teacher whose gym is a museum, so kinda the opposite of expectations there. And Sun/Moon was set in a Hawaii analogue that has a lot of different cultural influences on both the people and the Pokemon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

MikeJF posted:

Apparently Justice Smith makes it a point to play characters who are explicitly mixed race to represent his own background and experience (his father is Italian)

I think we found the star of the Mario movie

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I think we found the star of the Mario movie

I am fairly sure that would make a segment of the internet literally explode.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
I liked the twist the same reason I liked it in Homecoming. Of course he's mixed race, it's not an uncommon thing. But movies and TV are so far behind in showing human diversity as it actually is in real life that your brain doesn't immediately go there and you don't expect it.

It's why people who get annoyed at representation are baffling to me. They're not pandering, they're just trying to catch up to reality.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ImpAtom posted:

I am fairly sure that would make a segment of the internet literally explode.

EVEN BETTER :unsmigghh:

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

CityMidnightJunky posted:

I liked the twist the same reason I liked it in Homecoming. Of course he's mixed race, it's not an uncommon thing. But movies and TV are so far behind in showing human diversity as it actually is in real life that your brain doesn't immediately go there and you don't expect it.

It's why people who get annoyed at representation are baffling to me. They're not pandering, they're just trying to catch up to reality.

I saw Homecoming--I assume this is the TV show--and I don't remember it having a twist like Detective Pikachu.

EDIT: oh OK. I haven't seen it, but I know someone mentioned the Spider-Man movie before.

Onomarchus fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jun 10, 2019

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Spider-Man

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Onomarchus posted:

I saw Homecoming--I assume this is the TV show--and I don't remember it having a twist like Detective Pikachu.

EDIT: oh OK. I haven't seen it, but I know someone mentioned the Spider-Man movie before.

In Spiderman Homecoming, there's a twist that the Vulture is the father of the girl Peter's trying to date, resulting in an amazing scene where Vulture drives his arch-enemy Spiderman to the prom with his daughter. The surprise gets a little extra oomph because it might not occur to you that this girl's dad could be white ol' Michael Keaton.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Supercar Gautier posted:

In Spiderman Homecoming, there's a twist that the Vulture is the father of the girl Peter's trying to date, resulting in an amazing scene where Vulture drives his arch-enemy Spiderman to the prom with his daughter. The surprise gets a little extra oomph because it might not occur to you that this girl's dad could be white ol' Michael Keaton.

What’s beautiful is that you don’t even suspect for a second until whatsherface says something about her father and bam, you instantly make the connection mere seconds before silver fox Michael Keaton reveals himself

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I just want to say that using Loudreds to perform the hype music in the underground Pokémon arena was an amazing touch

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Star Man posted:

I just want to say that using Loudreds to perform the hype music in the underground Pokémon arena was an amazing touch

That kind of stuff makes the whole movie for me. How unashamed they are of the source material...they really considered the mechanics of the setting even though it's all absurd. It works as a joke, but it's also not really a joke. There's some guy in this city who runs music at that venue, and he got the job because his Pokemon can blast.

It's like why Roger Rabbit is so good. The bouncer's a cartoon gorilla. Betty Boop's a cocktail waitress because color ended her career. The world's lived-in, there's an economy. It's simultaneously insane and makes perfect sense.

Detective Pikachu is great.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It really is the Who Framed Roger Rabbit of our time.

Does that mean Justice Smith is gonna voice Mario in the upcoming Illumination movie?

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Just got back from seeing it. It was a decent kid’s movie, and fun and nostalgic. It felt like it was about a third of the plot it should have been, but maybe that was my brain focusing too much on “detective” and not enough on “pikachu”.

BioEnchanted posted:

I liked the (ending spoilers) son of the villain. The whole movie plays him up as a cold hard badass via Ditto but when you finally meet him properly he's super excited to help out after recovering from the closet, and just generally a really nice man.

Pulling this from a bit back but I found it really interesting what they did with Howard, the tycoon’s son. All the initial beats for him scream “egotistical villain who hates how much his father likes Pokémon”, and then the reporter intern asks him to report on a story, and all of the tone and emotion is “I’m the villain denying you from chasing your dream because it might expose me” and all of his actual words are “we are a respectable news agency and I won’t have you reporting on gossip, you need a valid source” which was such whiplash that I knew more was up.

i then proceeded to completely forget it and the appearance of the ditto-who-can-be-human until the end reveal though, so good job movie!

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

skeleton warrior posted:

Just got back from seeing it. It was a decent kid’s movie, and fun and nostalgic. It felt like it was about a third of the plot it should have been, but maybe that was my brain focusing too much on “detective” and not enough on “pikachu”.

Pulling this from a bit back but I found it really interesting what they did with Howard, the tycoon’s son. All the initial beats for him scream “egotistical villain who hates how much his father likes Pokémon”, and then the reporter intern asks him to report on a story, and all of the tone and emotion is “I’m the villain denying you from chasing your dream because it might expose me” and all of his actual words are “we are a respectable news agency and I won’t have you reporting on gossip, you need a valid source” which was such whiplash that I knew more was up.

i then proceeded to completely forget it and the appearance of the ditto-who-can-be-human until the end reveal though, so good job movie!

That was a good misdirect since he was correct, he was just a dick about it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Star Man posted:

The best part of that was how their beats and music became more intense when exposed to the crazy gas

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Am I the only one disappointed they didn't play Stuck in the Middle With You during the Mister Mime scene?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

MonsieurChoc posted:

Am I the only one disappointed they didn't play Stuck in the Middle With You during the Mister Mime scene?

I'm just still amazed that they got away with miming setting someone on fire, to a being who seems to regard that as real in a kids film.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

I'm just still amazed that they got away with miming setting someone on fire, to a being who seems to regard that as real in a kids film.

I know, poo poo was hilarious

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

BizarroAzrael posted:

Reminded me of what happened to Dostoevsky.

Something in a movie called Detective Pikachu did this.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Finally saw it, and it's a very solid 7/10

Seeing Ryan Reynolds' face on Pikachu was fine in the trailers, but seeing it for an hour straight just showed how creepily uncanny it is

If they'd toned down the amount of wrinkles and trimmed the fur, it'd be a little less unnerving

All the other pokemon looked good though

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Finally saw it yesterday and was pleasantly surprised at the whole package. It's a kids movie but it's very well done, doesn't talk down to the audience too much, and stays very true to the source material.

Gotta say, it's nice to finally have a video game movie rated Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes!

Star Man posted:

Loudred is one of my wife's favorite Pokemon so she got a kick out of that.

She also figured out the scene with the Torterra kaiju before I did.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

DizzyBum posted:

Loudred is one of my wife's favorite Pokemon so she got a kick out of that.

She also figured out the scene with the Torterra kaiju before I did.

As soon as the ground started moving, I assumed it was that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I doubt we're gonna get a direct sequel to this movie given the story was pretty well wrapped up, as much as Detective Ryan Reynolds and his Pikachu would be an incredible movie, but wouldn't be surprised if they made some more with the same style and character designs, given the live action-CG blend turned out to work pretty well.

Though also probably the same Mewtwo. Maybe they can have Mewtwo at the start in every movie, and in a post-credits scene Mewtwo is sitting in a big chair by a fireplace wearing glasses and a smoking jacket and reading the story to, I dunno, Genesect.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I doubt we're gonna get a direct sequel to this movie given the story was pretty well wrapped up, as much as Detective Ryan Reynolds and his Pikachu would be an incredible movie, but wouldn't be surprised if they made some more with the same style and character designs, given the live action-CG blend turned out to work pretty well.

Though also probably the same Mewtwo. Maybe they can have Mewtwo at the start in every movie, and in a post-credits scene Mewtwo is sitting in a big chair by a fireplace wearing glasses and a smoking jacket and reading the story to, I dunno, Genesect Moltres.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Though also probably the same Mewtwo. Maybe they can have Mewtwo at the start in every movie, and in a post-credits scene Mewtwo is sitting in a big chair by a fireplace wearing glasses and a smoking jacket and reading the story to, I dunno, Genesect.

Said it before: perfect sequel is one Ryan Reynolds needs to switch bodies with the pikachu (for whatever reason) so they can have detective pikachu back but also have pikachu in Ryan Reynolds body and do all those jokes.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Would be cool to see a sequel where we get to follow Tim as he takes a stab at a pokemon journey thanks to his time with Pikachu

Make that the RBGY story adaptation

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
A crime thriller about a competent Team Rocket group

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Vinylshadow posted:

Would be cool to see a sequel where we get to follow Tim as he takes a stab at a pokemon journey thanks to his time with Pikachu

And adopts that bulbasaur as his sidekick

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

MikeJF posted:

And adopts that bulbasaur as his sidekick

Oh yes, can't wait to see them animate a hopping Venusaur

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm surprised they made Bulbasaur look so great and basically the cutest Pokemon in the movie. I think helps that its design is close to Toothless and probably the closest to its original cartoon look. (being a plant-frog)

Also still funny that Tim's friend brought him out to catch a Cubone since they obviously have so much in common.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I just wanted to post that I hated the art direction for Gengar. Gengar is not a mean scary ghost, but a nice happy little ghost boy.

Thank you

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

MacheteZombie posted:

A crime thriller about a competent Team Rocket group

Complete with talking Meowth. I will not have it otherwise!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

J.A.B.C. posted:

Complete with talking Meowth. I will not have it otherwise!

Meowth would be the talking pikachu replacement, 100% agreed.

But no blasting off or terrible crime ideas.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

MacheteZombie posted:

Meowth would be the talking pikachu replacement, 100% agreed.

But no blasting off or terrible crime ideas.

Would legit be a good one for Danny DeVito. Or like Liev Schreiber, someone who could be a threatening presence of they weren't a cat. Ooh or maybe Mahershala Ali playing it roguish. Thus is why a follow up is so appealing there's so much they could do.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
They could literally just have the sequel be, they need to solve a crime and the only way to do that is to be able to communicate with Pokemon, and so they have to put Tim's dad back into Pikachu. Bada bing bada boom

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tim's dad gets hit on the head and goes into a coma. Something something thanks to the previous mental link, he's Pikachu again

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They were already planning a direct sequel months before this movie was released. The human species put a man on the moon. We can find a scriptwriter to put a Ryan Reynolds back in a Pikachu..

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Putting him back in the Pikachu would be contrived. Just move on. There's a whole Pokemon world to explore.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Yeah I don't really like the idea of pikachu Ryan again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Given how they wrapped up the narrative in the movie, I have an easier time believing that the studio will replicate the formula of “famous, charismatic actor voicing cute Pokémon” than I do of them bringing back Reynolds.

I’d be surprised if The Rock wasn’t under consideration for a sequel.