Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

wdarkk posted:

Is there a more dumbass ripoff of Pokemon than Beyblade, the top-fighting anime/game?

When I say "top" I mean the spinning thing.

mh bakugan or battle B daman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Elfgames posted:

mh bakugan or battle B daman

Yeah, there's basically no bottom to the ridiculousness of the gimmick toys that early 00s anime would try to advertise to children.

Back to something more on topic, just came to mind that the Pokemon designs, from what we've seen, actually do look a fair bit like they used real-life animals as references, trying to meet the cartoon designs halfway at a point that works. Pikachu is furry like a rodent, Charizard is pot-bellied and a wrinkly like a large lizard, Snorlax is as fuzzy as you'd expect a fat bear to be. The more... abstract designs are where things, by necessity, get weird.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Mar 5, 2019

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, there's basically no bottom to the ridiculousness of the gimmick toys that early 00s anime would try to advertise to children.

Back to something more on topic, just came to mind that the Pokemon designs, from what we've seen, actually do look a fair bit like they used real-life animals as references, trying to meet the cartoon designs halfway at a point that works. Pikachu is furry like a rodent, Charizard is pot-bellied and a wrinkly like a large lizard, Snorlax is as fuzzy as you'd expect a fat bear to be. The more... abstract designs are where things, by necessity, get weird.

I thought ludiculo would be scaly like a pineapple but apparently he's fuzzy

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Ludicolo is great because he has stringy, leathery old sexpat hair

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Calaveron posted:

I thought ludiculo would be scaly like a pineapple but apparently he's fuzzy

He's a colocynth, not a pineapple.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 5, 2019

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

everything is just a bit too fluffy imo like i guess i always imagined pikachu having short fur

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Elfgames posted:

everything is just a bit too fluffy imo like i guess i always imagined pikachu having short fur

I always imagined it like - you know how a rat has no fur on the feet and very thin on the ears? Like that for Pikachu. Whereas the movie's one is just full consistent fluff all over.

Or other ones that never looked furry but would be (like jigglypuff) as having the smooth hair you get on things like a horse rather than being fluffy.

But everyone had different images of these things in their head. The fact that they've gotten something that most people generally agree is watchable is a miracle in itself.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Jigglypuff has a hairstyle that makes it look like a lounge singer, which is entirely fitting given the noir aesthetic. Or something along those lines.

Might be going more along the lines of a rabbit or cat for Pikachu, would love to see the design documents. I bet, given the designer got famous for disturbingly realistic Pokemon designs, they took those and dialed them back to meet the basic design, keeping the concept and silhouette while adding enough to look more like a real animal. I do wonder what Mewtwo's gonna look like up close.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Elfgames posted:

I'll accept things being a bit too furry because they at least stuck to the correct designs of the Pokemon, instead of doing whatever the Sonic movie abomination is doing.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Trading cards give you a close-up of Mewtwo, who looks appropriately wonky.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

the design aesthetic behind mew/mewtwo is that they look like a 'universal' embryo, and yeah judging from the card they gave him creepy thin, hairless skin

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Calibanibal posted:

the design aesthetic behind mew/mewtwo is that they look like a 'universal' embryo, and yeah judging from the card they gave him creepy thin, hairless skin

I don't think Mewtwo has hair/fur in the first place?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Mew is the embryo, mewtwo is Giygas

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Macaluso posted:

I don't think Mewtwo has hair/fur in the first place?

That's what I said

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Calaveron posted:

Mew is the embryo, mewtwo is Giygas

It's actually called Blaine's Monster.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

It's actually called Blaine's Monster.

Did Blaine have any role in Mewtwo's creation in any continuity other than Special/Adventures? In the games it's implied, but not stated, that Dr./Mr. Fuji was Mewtwo's creator, and in the anime he was explicitly created by Fuji under duress from Team Rocket.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Silver2195 posted:

Did Blaine have any role in Mewtwo's creation in any continuity other than Special/Adventures? In the games it's implied, but not stated, that Dr./Mr. Fuji was Mewtwo's creator, and in the anime he was explicitly created by Fuji under duress from Team Rocket.

Yeah, I think that's probably exclusive to a couple of the manga adaptations, which often take heavy liberties like turning the Gym Leaders into full on villains. Funnily enough I think one of them also had Mewtwo made partly with human DNA, which actually might explain a lot.

I was half expecting Mewtwo to look a bit like a hairless cat, but I think he's had about DBZ comparisons with Freiza back in the day without also being Beerus.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
In the manga yeah mewtwo was made by splicing blane's DNA into mew genes.

i think in the games it's implied that blane worked with fuji on the project but i'm not sure

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Elfgames posted:

i think in the games it's implied that blane worked with fuji on the project but i'm not sure

There's literally nothing tying Blaine to Mewtwo in the games beyond the journal entries documenting Mew giving birth being in Cinnabar mansion.

Hell in the game's account Mewtwo isn't even a hosed up science experiment. Its literally just something explorers in South America stumbled upon when they found a pregnant Mew and saw it give birth

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Zore posted:

There's literally nothing tying Blaine to Mewtwo in the games beyond the journal entries documenting Mew giving birth being in Cinnabar mansion.

Hell in the game's account Mewtwo isn't even a hosed up science experiment. Its literally just something explorers in South America stumbled upon when they found a pregnant Mew and saw it give birth

That sounds like a detail they have since retconned. Do the Lets Go versions Red and Blue mention the pregnant Mew thing? I don't remember, but I do remember the basement of the mansion in Lets Go had a big like... cylinder containment chamber, presumably for Mewtwo while hew as being created.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Macaluso posted:

That sounds like a detail they have since retconned. Do the Lets Go versions Red and Blue mention the pregnant Mew thing? I don't remember, but I do remember the basement of the mansion in Lets Go had a big like... cylinder containment chamber, presumably for Mewtwo while hew as being created.

Yeah they kept the same diary entries. The implication now being they didn't just observe it give birth but experimented on Mew to produce Mewtwo and then it broke out.

These are the diary entries you find in Red/Blue, FireRed/LeafGreen and Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee

Diary: July 5

Guyana, South America
A new Pokémon was discovered deep in the jungle.

Diary: July 10

We christened the newly discovered Pokémon, Mew.

Diary: Feb. 6

Mew gave birth.
We named the newborn Mewtwo.

Diary: Sept. 1

MEWTWO is far too powerful.
We have failed to curb its vicious
tendencies…

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Hard to say how much they might be speaking figuratively or just not bothering to change it. You don't see references to real life locations in any of the games past gen 1.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Zore posted:

Yeah they kept the same diary entries. The implication now being they didn't just observe it give birth but experimented on Mew to produce Mewtwo and then it broke out.

These are the diary entries you find in Red/Blue, FireRed/LeafGreen and Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee

Diary: July 5

Guyana, South America
A new Pokémon was discovered deep in the jungle.

Diary: July 10

We christened the newly discovered Pokémon, Mew.

Diary: Feb. 6

Mew gave birth.
We named the newborn Mewtwo.

Diary: Sept. 1

MEWTWO is far too powerful.
We have failed to curb its vicious
tendencies…
it was always implied that mewtwo was an experiment (the building that clones pokemon from fossils is right next door) also most creatures don't give birth to new species

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

There's also Mewtwo's Pokedex entry:

Pokemon Red & Blue posted:

It was created by a scientist after years of horrific gene splicing and DNA engineering experiments.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, I think that's probably exclusive to a couple of the manga adaptations, which often take heavy liberties like turning the Gym Leaders into full on villains. Funnily enough I think one of them also had Mewtwo made partly with human DNA, which actually might explain a lot.

I was half expecting Mewtwo to look a bit like a hairless cat, but I think he's had about DBZ comparisons with Freiza back in the day without also being Beerus.

"Was the loving Frieza?!"

Elfgames posted:

There's a picture frame in Fuji's house and Blaine's gym that indicate they used to work together

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

can't believe nobody has mentioned the joltik on the power lines or the golurk security guard.

I really like how they seem to be going through a lot of effort to portray what a world with Pokemon would actually look like.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Where's the Golurk?

That's the loving best Pokemon. An ancient golem super robot. It learns Fly!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Where's the Golurk?

That's the loving best Pokemon. An ancient golem super robot. It learns Fly!

There's a few guarding the police station

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

wdarkk posted:

Trading cards give you a close-up of Mewtwo, who looks appropriately wonky.

Oh my god Ditto will be in the movie. Also that Arcanine looks amazing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Growlithe and Arcanine are basically the lion-dog guardian thingies from Buddhist temples, and generally portrayed as lovable super fluffy dogs.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

SirSamVimes posted:

can't believe nobody has mentioned the joltik on the power lines or the golurk security guard.

I really like how they seem to be going through a lot of effort to portray what a world with Pokemon would actually look like.

It'd be real confusing/annoying when every few years you hear an announcement on the news like "oh Professor [Tree] of [new region] just found another hundred or so of these things, be sure to read up on them so you know which are cuddly and which ones to fear... or both"

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Growlithe and Arcanine are basically the lion-dog guardian thingies from Buddhist temples, and generally portrayed as lovable super fluffy dogs.

That are also super loving dangerous:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtTavGlPy4&t=147s

Actually probably watch all of the Generations shorts.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Growlithe is a pig

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Calibanibal posted:

Growlithe is a pig

that's an uncalled for insult to tepig and spoink

growlithe's a cop

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/Legendary/status/1106310908349825024?s=19

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/nineverything/status/1107682881772511232?s=21

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Those tests better be on the Bluray extras.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

RatHat posted:

Those tests better be on the Bluray extras.

This is no doubt advertising the fact that the scenes will be in the credits, on the blu ray extras and also in the special datectivito edition where they replace everyone BUT pikachus voice with him (Its ok though because theres a version where you can watch with him as pikachu as god intended).

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

"Oops, I dropped my magnum condoms for my Pocket monster dong"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Wow I can't believe Pikachu loves boiling demin and banging whoors