Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RatHat posted:

That has literally never been a thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0g3FIKIiec

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

This is cursed

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

He's not hopping there. Frogs push off the ground solely with their back legs and use the front legs to catch themselves and balance.

Venusaur is pulling himself forward with his front legs before kicking off the ground with the back.

It's closer to how a Greyhound runs than how a frog hops. But its legs ARE splayed out in the back like a frog's.

Adder Moray fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 11, 2019

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

oh my loving god

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

1stGear posted:

oh my loving god

alright, so hypothetical question time: obviously this is supposed to look like a baby, but does the aging process mean that eventually just through age it will evolve into a wartortle/blastoise, as it ages it's just gonna look like an old man Squirtle, or it will continue to act like a baby even as it ages, so even in it's dying breath it still looks and acts like a baby?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

The animation on the Pokeball catching the Cubone is clean as hell

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Silver2195 posted:

The Ghost-type Pokedex entries all have a really dark tone like that, don't they?

There's that one that's like "Sometimes a very talkative child will suddenly become quiet. This means they've been replaced by this Pokemon"

Edit: pretty sure it's Zoroa, the adorable fox

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

DC Murderverse posted:

alright, so hypothetical question time: obviously this is supposed to look like a baby, but does the aging process mean that eventually just through age it will evolve into a wartortle/blastoise, as it ages it's just gonna look like an old man Squirtle, or it will continue to act like a baby even as it ages, so even in it's dying breath it still looks and acts like a baby?

Old man Squirtle if it could somehow live a lige without ever gaining enough experience to get up to level 16.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

DC Murderverse posted:

Pokemon don't evolve through age necessarily. I'm sure there's been npc trainers who tell you they've had these pokemons all their lives and they pop an unevolved guy

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'm pretty sure that old pokemon just get old. But they all age very gracefully so you'd never know aside from them not doing baby things...

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich

Calaveron posted:

Pokemon don't evolve through age necessarily. I'm sure there's been npc trainers who tell you they've had these pokemons all their lives and they pop an unevolved guy

That's hosed up because almost all the evolutions look like organisms aging

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Would take like 100 years for a Squirtle tho.

But Pokemon can also choose not to evolve. (Or their trainers don't let them) This typically lets them learn new moves faster, sometimes exclusive ones.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Daddy Thanos posted:

That's hosed up because almost all the evolutions look like organisms aging

i mean i assume most pokemon evolve as they age

Adder Moray posted:

He's not hopping there. Frogs push off the ground solely with their back legs and use the front legs to catch themselves and balance.

Venusaur is pulling himself forward with his front legs before kicking off the ground with the back.

It's closer to how a Greyhound runs than how a frog hops. But its legs ARE splayed out in the back like a frog's.

it looks like it's pushing with the back legs to me :shrug:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The anime does make an occasional point of how Pokemon that refuse to evolve learn their more powerful moves considerably earlier, and more or less are considered more skilled and canny than ones who evolve at the first opportunity. Mostly comes into play with the Pikachu vs Raichu battle against Lt Surge, and Bulbasaur in particular has an episode about refusing to evolve and then learning Solar Beam, and a running theme of being very skilled and reliable despite being relatively weak. (contrast Charmander, who went mad with power as Charmeleon and got worse as Charizard) The general theme is that they sacrifice flexibility for strength.

This is generally supported in-game, as a fair few Pokemon outright can only learn certain powerful moves if still in their first stage, and ones that evolve via evolution stones generally have a very limited movepool from then on and many learn nearly no new moves at all from levelling up. (There's actually some thought to this, as Pokemon who evolve via trade alone, like Machoke and Kadabra, have exactly the same movepool in their fully evolved form, as there's no guarantee a player will even know about this mechanic before they trade a Pokemon, or when they'll have the opportunity to trade with another player... back in the days of link cables, at least)

Evolution in general is treated quite differently with various Pokemon lines. Bug-types typically evolve extremely early to the point where it's not unusual to find the fully evolved ones in the wild under certain conditions, and probably not coincidentally tend to reflect insect life cycles more specifically and accurately than most. (and have radical move pool changes as a result) Caterpie-Metapod-Butterfree being one that the anime played out, complete with releasing Butterfree at about the point where it'd be no longer useful to a trainer at that point in the game, since typical Bug types peak very early. (some later games were lauded for bucking this trend with Bug types that are powerful and useful throughout the game) Incidentally, Pokemon was apparently originally inspired by the common Japanese hobby of catching and battling bugs.

Sorry that turned into a ramble, talking about Pokemon is fun.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I cannot get over how freaking adorable pikachu is. I just love looking at him :3:

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

DC Murderverse posted:

In real life axolotls stay their baby form their entire life and become sexually mature babies.

The hosed up thing is they still HAVE an adult form like other salamanders that they just never enter in normal life and if they get too much iodine they will just suddenly grow giant, develop eyelids and lungs and big arm and leg muscles and can't be kept with other axolotls because it'll eat them then die in like a year as some weird alternate life cycle. Which would be a terrifying fact if axolotls had a society and made horror movies.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

In real life axolotls stay their baby form their entire life and become sexually mature babies.

The hosed up thing is they still HAVE an adult form like other salamanders that they just never enter in normal life and if they get too much iodine they will just suddenly grow giant, develop eyelids and lungs and big arm and leg muscles and can't be kept with other axolotls because it'll eat them then die in like a year as some weird alternate life cycle. Which would be a terrifying fact if axolotls had a society and made horror movies.

excuse me i have to write a spec script for Splice 2

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

This is similar to a lot of Pokemon life cycles, come to think of it (most evolutions involving evolutionary stones or trade probably almost never happen in the wild, and most first-stage Pokemon are sexually mature). Arguably the real "child" form of most Pokemon is the egg.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 12, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Silver2195 posted:

This is similar to a lot of Pokemon life cycles, come to think of it (most evolutions involving evolutionary stones or trade probably almost never happen in the wild, and most first-stage Pokemon are sexually mature). Arguably the real "child" form of most Pokemon is the egg.

Pretty much, yeah. Some Pokemon, like Pikachu, do have a specific 'baby' form that can't breed and is rarely found in the wild. (A system introduced in Gen 2 to showcase the new breeding mechanics, of course)

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/Pokemon/status/1116416060708646912

Real life Cleffa would be the cutest thing ever.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

DC Murderverse posted:

excuse me i have to write a spec script for Splice 2

I can’t believe I have to say this, but no one wants to hear about you loving an axolotl

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

One thing I'm confused about: Is Aipom electric? I thought he was just like, normal type? That teaser and the other trailer has them using some kind of electricity attack with their tail

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Macaluso posted:

One thing I'm confused about : Is Aipom electric? I thought he was just like, normal type? That teaser and the other trailer has them using some kind of electricity attack with their tail

There are plenty of pokemon moves that might look electric but are not - in this case however I think its plot related shenanigans.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
An Aipom can be taught three different electric attacks, but doesn't learn any naturally.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
The anime frequently likes to use glowing effects for a lot of normal (or any other) type moves to show that they're more than just a regular physical attack.

Like here's Rhydon using Mega Punch

A big rock monster punching is probably "mega" enough, but just to denote that it's a real move, it glows. So Aipom could theoretically be charging up drat near anything there.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pokemon abilities and movepools can be all over the place, and adaptations sometimes famously take liberties with what moves a Pokemon can learn and what they look like. ('Finish it off with False Swipe!' and all) Especially moves that are vague about what they actually are. (Aerial Ace being a reference lost in translation to a sword technique) Even the trailers of X/Y infamously had some Fairy-type Pokemon using moves they could never learn ingame.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Just went to a 7-Eleven and they have all kindsa merch for this. Ended up buying a :psyduck: plush that talks when you hit it against a surface (wtf?) and a pack of cards. Pikachu, snubbull, psyduck, and ludicolo seem to be the focus of a lot of the merch.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

I refuse to accept this frog trash, I'm pretty sure in the cartoon it was always a massive lumbering plant dino :colbert:

Also, speaking of creepy/dark pokemon facts, isn't Cubone supposed to be wearing the skull of it's dead mother or something?

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I refuse to accept this frog trash, I'm pretty sure in the cartoon it was always a massive lumbering plant dino :colbert:

Also, speaking of creepy/dark pokemon facts, isn't Cubone supposed to be wearing the skull of it's dead mother or something?

Yup. A lot of people believe cubone is what happens to khangaskhan babies that lose their mothers.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

MrFlibble posted:

Yup. A lot of people believe cubone is what happens to khangaskhan babies that lose their mothers.

Game Freak even put a little nod to this theory in Sun & Moon. In that game, solo wild Pokémon have a chance of calling another Pokémon for help in battle. Wild Cubone have a very small chance of summoning a Kangaskhan!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Pokemon is hosed up

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Venonat should evolve into butterfree dammit

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

precision posted:

Pokemon is hosed up

It's like if dogfighting was the most popular sport in the world. But the dogs can also breathe fire

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

precision posted:

Pokemon is hosed up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFzj14bpMu4

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

they've unveiled the requisite Official Blockbuster Pop Song for Detective Pikachu, so enjoy "Rita Ora Dressed Like A Pikachu"

https://twitter.com/RitaOra/status/1119213005374357505

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

That song is catchy. So far Detective Pikachu is doing a good job with the music in its marketing

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Speaking of marketing...

https://twitter.com/professorSugoi/status/1119356033288241152

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
What the fuuuuuuuuu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

That music video gives us a good look at Blastoise.