Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Finally, after over 20 long years of waiting, a live-action Pokemon movie has arrived, but it's not what you'd expect.

Detective Pikachu is the story of a young man reluctantly following in the footsteps of his great detective father. It is also the story of a Pikachu who sounds exactly like Deadpool who happens to have a brilliant analytical mind. It is also the story of a group of filmmakers who are making the first live-action movie based on a Nintendo property in over 25 years because the last one turned their most well-known universe into a weird dystopia filled with grungy atmosphere and strange creatures. Naturally, they are turning Nintendo's second-most well-known universe into a weird dystopia filled with grungy atmosphere and strange creatures. If At First You Do Not Succeed...

This is the star of the show, Pikachu, with a voice provided by the inimitable Ryan Reynolds. Look at how fuzzy he is.

Look at it.

LOOK AT IT!

This is his partner, Justice Smith.

wait. this can't be.

it's too late he's taken over save yurrr sulllllll--

(come see detective pikachu the mime commands you all hail the mime)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I think I said this in another thread somewhere but if I see a live-action Marrill I will melt into a puddle of happy nostalgia.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Wish it was more like Cool World.

would prefer nobody gently caress the pikachu

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

It's hilarious that in Pokemon you can essentially enslave the thing that created the universe inside a tiny ball and make it beat up rats

it's a shame that Mewtwo is going to be wasted as the villain of this movie when the One True Mewtwo Movie would basically be Prometheus but with a genetically modified Pokemon instead of an android that develops something like freewill.

The monster spawned at the end of the movie instead of the Xenomorph is, of course, a Genosect. And the engineers are all different God-level legendary pokémon, and the one survivor (who wrecks everyone's poo poo at the end) is Mew.

EDIT: I mean come on,

a pair of scientists who are convinced that some great creator (Arceus?) is behind everything find some vague evidence that a Pokemon from far beyond the reaches of our universe exists, so a really rich guy (a Silph, natch) creates a team who goes on an expedition to that planet, with all sorts of scientists, explorers, etc. They're assisted by Mewtwo, who was created to be a weapon beyond the wildest reaches of our imagination but is basically stuck as the gofer/slave on the ship for everyone else, despite his superiority, because of a hitch in his creation that makes him subservient (which slowly fades away over the course of the movie). When the group arrives at the planet hinted at in the archeological find, they find a mountain that is an exact likeness of Mt. Coronet in Sinnoh, with a temple at the top which has evidence of long-gone legendary pokemon. A room full of eggs is found, one of them is brought back to the ship, and it hatches into a Mew, which inspires Mewtwo to break free of the shackles of his enslavement and gently caress everyone else up, but it turns out that Mew was just manipulating Mewtwo to destroy the interlopers and create a path back to earth, which Mew plans to remake in the image of his long-forgotten Pokemon haven. One surviving member of the expedition grabs an egg that Mewtwo somehow transfers it's consciousness into and attempts to kill Mew before it is able to leave the planet. At the end another one of the eggs that got corrupted somehow hatches into a Genosect.

Then the sequel is straight up Alien with a Genosect. Give me my money, Warner Brothers.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Nov 21, 2018

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Thank you for the edgy pokemon fan-fiction.

i'm sorry that you don't want a movie where a dry-humored Mewtwo (voiced by Michael Fassbender) rides a bicycle around a spaceship while reading, watching Lawrence of Arabia and shooting basketballs

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Mantis42 posted:

Are you kidding me? In our grandparents day only true trash like Gone With The Wind made that kinda money. Now real art has a chance.

our great-grandparents were really racist, this is a true fact

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

https://twitter.com/vancityreynolds/status/1100031115937624064?s=21

I’ve always said Ryan brings a lot of acting expertise to this role, and this video proves it. Truly no one else could make this much of a commitment.

I’m gonna be honest, if I don’t see Ryan Reynolds in a full sized Pikachu suit at least once during the press for this film I’m gonna be disappointed

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

1stGear posted:

oh my loving god

alright, so hypothetical question time: obviously this is supposed to look like a baby, but does the aging process mean that eventually just through age it will evolve into a wartortle/blastoise, as it ages it's just gonna look like an old man Squirtle, or it will continue to act like a baby even as it ages, so even in it's dying breath it still looks and acts like a baby?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

In real life axolotls stay their baby form their entire life and become sexually mature babies.

The hosed up thing is they still HAVE an adult form like other salamanders that they just never enter in normal life and if they get too much iodine they will just suddenly grow giant, develop eyelids and lungs and big arm and leg muscles and can't be kept with other axolotls because it'll eat them then die in like a year as some weird alternate life cycle. Which would be a terrifying fact if axolotls had a society and made horror movies.

excuse me i have to write a spec script for Splice 2

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

they've unveiled the requisite Official Blockbuster Pop Song for Detective Pikachu, so enjoy "Rita Ora Dressed Like A Pikachu"

https://twitter.com/RitaOra/status/1119213005374357505

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

That trailer was very sweet. I think that moment of walking through nature with a battered Pikachu is gonna be like every dog movie where the dog just got hit by a car or something, but times a million.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

i have a very important question:

Who is Chris O'Geere playing in this movie? I haven't seen him once in the trailers and in a little profile the NYT did on the day of the You're The Worst finale, he mentioned that his role is a secret. I wanna know! Is he the main character's dad? Is he Mewtwo? Is he some other talking Pokemon (that glowing Flareon looked awful suspicious). Is he just some random little part? It bugs me that I don't know.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

RatHat posted:

This review is awful. Everyone knows mist moves are water type

WRONG

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

That Pikachu is the cutest loving thing I’ve ever seen

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Robot Style posted:

That's a shame. That sequence took us about 6 months to do and was some of the very last stuff to finish, so it would have been nice if it all came together in the end.

you worked on the movie? I have a very important question to ask you:

how cute is that life-size Pikachu maquette and how many times did someone attempt to smuggle it back to their home?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Vinylshadow posted:

Americans are stuck with this:

it looks cuddly as hell, i just ordered to pick one up at a target 40 minutes away from my house

(also that other one isn't *actually* a retail plush, the one actually on sale at the Pokemon Center in Japan, pictured on the bottom right below this text, looks pretty comparable to the American one.)

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

i think i said before there's no way i could be objective about this movie's quality and by god i was right. It was a long day, i had a lot of caffeine and a few drinks, and I was clutching my stuffed Detective Pikachu, and I honestly felt for a moment like I was 10 again. The second I saw some Pidgeot fly by and the Doduo running across the grass I was totally in for good and it didn't falter at a single point. It's exactly what I wanted. There were a million little references and Pokemon appearances and moments and I just want to exist in that world.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

more serious thoughts about movie:

*Justice Smith is really good. He's not a really broad actor like you'd expect in a kid's movie. He does a very good job, especially in the first third, where his emotional state varies by the minute
*Obviously Ryan Reynolds is good. he doesn't exactly have a whole lot of vocal range but he's not just doing Deadpool again.
*All the other characters are... there. The various side actors don't ever really have much more than a scene to do their thing, except for the love interest and Davy Jones and his son, Jimmy Shive-Overly, all of whom do pretty much what is expected of them.
*I mean yeah i guess if you want to quibble the plot is a little "Go Here Do Thing Go There Do Thing" but if you are seeing this movie for the plot i feel for you
*The city is so cool that it's a shame they have to leave it for the second act, and nothing from the last two thirds really comes close to that whole first act where they're wandering around the city at night and Pokemon are just everywhere.
*All of the production design work is wonderful and honestly feels award-worthy. They created an entire city that feels lived in and full of stuff and I want to go to there.
*Similarly, the effects work is pretty much universally great. All of the Pokemon look pretty much perfect, the purple gas is a very low-impact effect so it looks just fine, and the only moments I had a little issue were a few with Mewtwo, who feels a little more artificial than the rest, although one could argue that his entire nature is artificial and so standing out is on point for the character.
*The earthquake scene was fine, but I wish we had gotten to see the Torterra actually walking. Once the ground started to separate I knew exactly what was going on and I was hoping the money shot was gonna be a Godzilla-esque view of a bunch of massive Torterra walking towards the city or something.
*No Marill, which is clearly a failure on someone's part to not include the obvious most cute pokemon. I suppose they're saving him for a prime role in the sequel.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

QuoProQuid posted:

Maybe it was just me then.

What really surprised me was the Ditto reveal. I thought that was very clever.

There were multiple moments that I figured out about 20 seconds before the movie tipped its hand (which is really the perfect rhythm for something like that). The other one was giant loving Torterras

QuoProQuid posted:

On a more positive note, my theatre passed out special limited edition Pokemon cards with the showing. I realize its pandering but I am genuinely delighted to have these dumb things in my hand because they bring me back to seeing Pokemon 2000 as a kid. :3:

If and when the theater runs out know that every nerd employed at that theater opened about 10 of them before realizing how many doubles they were gonna get if they kept going. (ask me how I know)

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

People seem to be really divided on the lead actor's performance. I and others think that he did a wonderful job with the emotional work he had to do but there's a faction of people who apparently really didn't like it. It's kinda weird.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Skyarb posted:

The main protagonist was completely emotionless.

f'real though, this i don't get. Dude was clearly seconds away from a breakdown during the entire first act. I think he did a great job portraying someone who is desperately trying to avoid/push down feelings and failing. Being snippy and short with people, slightly shaky voice, he wasn't emotionless, he was trying to push the emotion down but still letting it pop through in select moments. The emotional work really stops for the middle third of the movie and only shows up a few more times but he definitely wasn't *emotionless*

honestly a way better criticism I've heard is that he feels like he's in a different movie, which is more understandable given how cartoonish all of the other characters are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

TontoCorazon posted:

He looks like he has strong opinions on brown people and what pokemon they should be allowed to have.

"Look, I don't own any Pokemon, and no one I know owned any Pokemon, all the Pokemon owners are dead now, why are we still talking about this?"